2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 202 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 03 3:26 pm

Hmmm... No mention in the article of either Iowa Wild goalie being injured, so it is strange to call him up unless an illness ( which would be considered an emergency call up ) or maybe an Iowa goalie getting called up to the Wild. The Iowa Wild are playing in San Jose and the Wild are traveling there tomorrow. Maybe this is just one big coincidence. Edit -- false alarm. Per Russo Kahkonen got injured

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by team22tank » Tue Mar 03 3:46 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Mar 03 3:26 pm
Hmmm... No mention in the article of either Iowa Wild goalie being injured, so it is strange to call him up unless an illness ( which would be considered an emergency call up ) or maybe an Iowa goalie getting called up to the Wild. The Iowa Wild are playing in San Jose and the Wild are traveling there tomorrow. Maybe this is just one big coincidence.
I honestly think at this point Guerin has to call up Kahkonen. This team has scratched and clawed all year with nothing between the pipes and if they win tonight they couldn’t be more in the thick of it. They deserve to give this thing their best shot.

At this point we know they aren’t bottoming out so draft pick crap talk Can stop. They are either getting in or just missing out. Get all these young kids into the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Does Kahkonen guarantee anything? No. But he is absolutely red hot the last 15 games. Bring him up and let him play some games with something on the line and get at chance to evaluate him more at this level.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 03 3:49 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Mar 03 3:46 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Mar 03 3:26 pm
Hmmm... No mention in the article of either Iowa Wild goalie being injured, so it is strange to call him up unless an illness ( which would be considered an emergency call up ) or maybe an Iowa goalie getting called up to the Wild. The Iowa Wild are playing in San Jose and the Wild are traveling there tomorrow. Maybe this is just one big coincidence.
I honestly think at this point Guerin has to call up Kahkonen. This team has scratched and clawed all year with nothing between the pipes and if they win tonight they couldn’t be more in the thick of it. They deserve to give this thing their best shot.

At this point we know they aren’t bottoming out so draft pick crap talk Can stop. They are either getting in or just missing out. Get all these young kids into the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Does Kahkonen guarantee anything? No. But he is absolutely red hot the last 15 games. Bring him up and let him play some games with something on the line and get at chance to evaluate him more at this level.
I tweeted Russo, and he said Kahkonen is injured. So false alarm. Did not say what the injury is, hope it is not long term.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Mar 03 3:57 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 2:39 pm
Goldy77 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 12:36 pm
2 dozen? That seems high, but I guess if you mean anybody that actually throws on the pads, well then sure.
That's kind of the point when your backup was literally the worst goaltender in the league lastseason. I understand giving Dubnyk another year to try and figure it out, but to start this season with both Dubnyk and Stalock was a giant failure. To get to this point in the season without fixing that mistake is an even bigger failure.

For a guy that wasn't afraid to talk tough about getting rid of players that weren't on board with doing whatever it takes to win, he hasn't come even close to holding up his end.
If goaltending is so easy to fix, why hasn't San Jose fixed their problem? 2 former Wild goalies who people wanted nothing to do with seem to be doing fine on other teams; Khodoubin and Keumper. Nashville arguably being kept from being solidly in the playoffs by their goaltending... I get that SJ is now in get a high draft pick mode so who cares about goalies, but they sure as heck didn't go into this season thinking that. Why didn't they jump at one of these 2 dozen NHL caliber goalies?

I also thinking sending Dubnyk to AHL long term or trading him recently would've been a dumb move. His wife's issues became public knowledge, and what does that say as a GM where you ship out a player going through the midst of that. Player isn't going to be happy, agent isn't going to like it, other players and agents will take note. Hockey is a very small community, and I just don't think that would've gone over too well especially with a brand new GM. That's just my opinion though obviously.

I think part of the problem is at 6 different points this season the wild are on the verge of needing to tank (keep same goalies probably) or need to trade to have a playoff chance. Guerin probably didn't know if he should or should not pull the trigger at any given time.

Signing Stalock to that 3-year extension was one of the dumbest things done recently. It isn't that expensive, but I doubt an owner is going to want to pay one of his AHL goalies $785,000... I just don't know what they are going to do. Both are un-tradeable at this point...

team22tank wrote:
Tue Mar 03 11:46 am
His top priority should be to find a goaltender for next season to go along with Kappo. Stalock can be put in Iowa if he wants to continue playing.
What does he do with Stalock and Dubnyk? Both un-tradeable unless we take on a horrendous contract or something. Both under contract. Owners don't like spending big money in the AHL...
J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 12:10 pm
There are a handful of older goalies that will be UFA this summer that would be perfect for a 1 year deal to help Kahkonen break into the league.

Guerin really botched this season, hopefully he has learned a few things along the way and next year will show improvement.
Same question, how do we get rid of Dubnyk and Stalock?

I'd love to stick stalock in the AHL (considerably cheaper that Dubnyk), just question if owner would allow it. And I don't see how they can get rid of Dubnyk short of buy-out, which hurts cap situation for a few more seasons. So keep Dubnyk as back-up? Roll with Kappo? Time-share? I'd love to ease Kappo into the NHL, just don't trust Dubnyk to carry a load right now... So what do you do?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Mar 03 4:39 pm

Stalock can easily be burried in the minors. He’s pretty much already on any AHL salary.

Dubnyk is trickier but you could buy him out. He only has one year left and the Wild don’t have any Cap issues. Next year they would actually benefit from it

His cap hit would be 2.6 next year. Which means his roster spot available plus 1.6 in Cap saved. Year two, final year of buyout .833, peanuts.

I would have to think Dubnyk and Rask are getting bought out this off season.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Mar 03 5:01 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Mar 03 4:39 pm
Stalock can easily be burried in the minors. He’s pretty much already on any AHL salary.

Dubnyk is trickier but you could buy him out. He only has one year left and the Wild don’t have any Cap issues. Next year they would actually benefit from it

His cap hit would be 2.6 next year. Which means his roster spot available plus 1.6 in Cap saved. Year two, final year of buyout .833, peanuts.

Did not realize the buy-out was that cheap. Why does Dubnyk's drop the 2nd year? While others (like Rask) stay the same price for all 4 seasons?

$700k is pretty high for an AHL salary, really high. I mean it happens when NHL players on one-way deals get buried. But I don't think owners like doing that...

Who do we sign? Could we afford Lehner or Markstrom? I am really not interested in another 35 year old goalie, Crawford wouldn't likely play the full season. Anderson probably retires... Greiss? All the other UFAs are either likely staying put, or are 35+ Holtby has been marginally better than Dubnyk this year. Matt Murray I doubt wants to be in a timeshare, not posting great numbers, lost starting job to Jarry...

I am just sick of the Wild having buy-out contracts. Every year were having to buy-out someone. Maybe Rask will require surgery in the off-season and can got LTIR...? :x

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 03 5:07 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Mar 03 4:39 pm

How many players can a team buy out every year? I thought it was 1 per year, but am not sure.

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by J22 » Tue Mar 03 5:15 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 3:57 pm
J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 2:39 pm
Goldy77 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 12:36 pm
2 dozen? That seems high, but I guess if you mean anybody that actually throws on the pads, well then sure.
That's kind of the point when your backup was literally the worst goaltender in the league lastseason. I understand giving Dubnyk another year to try and figure it out, but to start this season with both Dubnyk and Stalock was a giant failure. To get to this point in the season without fixing that mistake is an even bigger failure.

For a guy that wasn't afraid to talk tough about getting rid of players that weren't on board with doing whatever it takes to win, he hasn't come even close to holding up his end.
If goaltending is so easy to fix, why hasn't San Jose fixed their problem? 2 former Wild goalies who people wanted nothing to do with seem to be doing fine on other teams; Khodoubin and Keumper. Nashville arguably being kept from being solidly in the playoffs by their goaltending... I get that SJ is now in get a high draft pick mode so who cares about goalies, but they sure as heck didn't go into this season thinking that. Why didn't they jump at one of these 2 dozen NHL caliber goalies?

I also thinking sending Dubnyk to AHL long term or trading him recently would've been a dumb move. His wife's issues became public knowledge, and what does that say as a GM where you ship out a player going through the midst of that. Player isn't going to be happy, agent isn't going to like it, other players and agents will take note. Hockey is a very small community, and I just don't think that would've gone over too well especially with a brand new GM. That's just my opinion though obviously.

I think part of the problem is at 6 different points this season the wild are on the verge of needing to tank (keep same goalies probably) or need to trade to have a playoff chance. Guerin probably didn't know if he should or should not pull the trigger at any given time.

Signing Stalock to that 3-year extension was one of the dumbest things done recently. It isn't that expensive, but I doubt an owner is going to want to pay one of his AHL goalies $785,000... I just don't know what they are going to do. Both are un-tradeable at this point...

team22tank wrote:
Tue Mar 03 11:46 am
His top priority should be to find a goaltender for next season to go along with Kappo. Stalock can be put in Iowa if he wants to continue playing.
What does he do with Stalock and Dubnyk? Both un-tradeable unless we take on a horrendous contract or something. Both under contract. Owners don't like spending big money in the AHL...
J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 12:10 pm
There are a handful of older goalies that will be UFA this summer that would be perfect for a 1 year deal to help Kahkonen break into the league.

Guerin really botched this season, hopefully he has learned a few things along the way and next year will show improvement.
Same question, how do we get rid of Dubnyk and Stalock?

I'd love to stick stalock in the AHL (considerably cheaper that Dubnyk), just question if owner would allow it. And I don't see how they can get rid of Dubnyk short of buy-out, which hurts cap situation for a few more seasons. So keep Dubnyk as back-up? Roll with Kappo? Time-share? I'd love to ease Kappo into the NHL, just don't trust Dubnyk to carry a load right now... So what do you do?
San Jose has a terrible defenseman issue more so than a goaltending issue.
Not sure what bringing up Kuemper or Khudobin really does for the conversation?
Nashville is certainly getting hurt by their goaltending this season, but Rinne got Vezina votes last year so I can see why they probably expected better this year.
Signing Stalock to a 3 year deal was for the purpose of being able to send him to Iowa without being claimed. Leipold has proven numerous times that he isn't afraid to spend money.

As for the solution- Dubnyk will be bought out this summer. Can't see how Guerin does anything other than that. Dubnyk's buyout isn't bad at all. Saves the team $1.66M next season with only $833K of dead money the following year.

Stalock goes to Iowa if Guerin decides to give Khakonen a shot at the net and a guy like Halak, Crawford, Anderson, Greiss needs to be signed as an insurance policy for Khakonen. If Guerin decides that Khakonen isn't ready then he needs to make a play for guys like Lehner, Holtby, Markstrom or trade for an established guy.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 733 times
Been liked: 440 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Mar 03 7:29 pm

Fiala is good at hockey. Really good. :shock:

2-0 good guys in the 1st. tDreaded two goal lead.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 03 7:30 pm

Fiala with the pure snipe
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Goldy77 » Tue Mar 03 7:30 pm

Unreal goal from Fiala... He’s on a different level (obviously) than any other forward on this team.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 357 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Mar 03 7:46 pm

I’m at the game. Wearing my Fiala jersey too. He is very good at hockey indeed.

Make Nashville jealous. :mrgreen:

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Mar 03 7:50 pm

Patrick Kane like goal by Fiala. That was sick.
Great to have Louie doing the game tonight.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Mar 03 7:55 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Mar 03 7:50 pm
Patrick Kane like goal by Fiala. That was sick.
Great to have Louie doing the game tonight.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 03 8:38 pm

“He should get 2 minutes for getting hurt”....Lou Nanne is a treasure.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Mar 03 9:39 pm

Suter is farm strong.

:wave:

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Mar 03 9:44 pm

Nice to see the goalie win a game for the team.
Nashville’s coach kinda spooky lookin.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Mar 03 10:08 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Tue Mar 03 9:44 pm
Nice to see the goalie win a game for the team.
Nashville’s coach kinda spooky lookin.
And Barry Trotz wasn't?
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Mar 03 10:22 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 5:15 pm
Nashville is certainly getting hurt by their goaltending this season, but Rinne got Vezina votes last year so I can see why they probably expected better this year.
Signing Stalock to a 3 year deal was for the purpose of being able to send him to Iowa without being claimed. Leipold has proven numerous times that he isn't afraid to spend money.

As for the solution- Dubnyk will be bought out this summer. Can't see how Guerin does anything other than that. Dubnyk's buyout isn't bad at all. Saves the team $1.66M next season with only $833K of dead money the following year.

Stalock goes to Iowa if Guerin decides to give Khakonen a shot at the net and a guy like Halak, Crawford, Anderson, Greiss needs to be signed as an insurance policy for Khakonen. If Guerin decides that Khakonen isn't ready then he needs to make a play for guys like Lehner, Holtby, Markstrom or trade for an established guy.
Kuemper and Khudobin, my point was that they put up non-remarkable numbers here. In fact many people were clamoring that Kuemper was an AHL goalie at best, not a capable backup while he was here. Non-remarkable goalies in the "easiest job in the NHL" given the Wild's D, now having really strong seasons. NHL goaltending is weird... Martin Jones and Matt Murray, 2 years ago, were going to be the next Carey Price and Henrik Lundqvist of the NHL, well they both might not be starters next season. Look at Bobrovsky, that is not going well in Florida. I just don't buy that ANY goalie is going to be a significant upgrade over Stalock and Dubnyk right now. Because NHL Average would be a significant upgrade. Are upgrades out there, yes, but I don't there there is 2 dozen (who are/were available)... If it actually were that easy, Keumper, Khudobin, even Bryzgalov would've put up better numbers here. Bringing Holtby here, recent vezina winner, I don't think it is just an automatic .925 sv% and 1.95 GAA. I have no doubt, there would be an improvement over what we currently are getting, but I get the impression you and tank feel like we should just automatically have the best numbers in the NHL given some advance stats about high danger chances and that voodoo.

If they are willing to send Stalock to AHL, great. I will believe it when I see it. I did not realize how "friendly" Dubs buyout is, so that's on me. But nobody answered; why does Dubnyk's buyout cost drop the 2nd (and last) season, while someone like Rask's buyout stays constant for all 4 seasons?

"Can't see how Guerin does anything other than that." Sure, but I cannot see how he hasn't called up Kappo yet... I'd love to see if he can handle it now (in addition to helping the team) rather than waiting until next season and just throwing him to the wolves. As we've seen with Mayhew, AHL success doesn't automatically mean NHL success.

Anderson (assuming pending UFA Craig) is 38 and probably hanging it up. I hope the Wild don't go after him.
Crawford - don't want to touch that potential contract value given his injury and concussion history and current age, even as a backup... You'd likely just end up calling up Stalock anyway.
Halak or Greiss - I'd love to have one of them be a timeshare with Kappo to start the season and see how it goes.

Lehner - Will be expensive, and how long of a contract will he want.
Holtby - is 30 and having an awful season, wont be cheap either. Will he take a 2-3 year deal? Can he bounce back to near vezina form? Or are his numbers tailing off a'la Martin Jones/Matt Murray? Worth taking a chance on if you deem Kappo cannot handle full load.
Markstom - also 30, and probably not willing to do a timeshare. Would he take a 2-3 year deal? Has less wear and tear on him than Holtby...

Also, many of the leading goalies are in timeshares this season. Maybe not 50/50 time shares, but not on pace for 60+ games like many starters in recent years. Keeping them fresh and healthy, it could be the way the league is moving.

Hopefully Kappo can handle a 60/40 load and we can find a quality #2 or #1b at a reasonable price and term. Hopefully we get to see Kappo before the end of the season, maybe even get him some playoff action?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Mar 03 10:26 pm

The Wild have themselves a Franchise Forward in Fiala. He is point per game material. And that skill and speed is extremely rare.

If Kaprizov is the real deal it is going to be a fun 2020 decade.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Mar 03 11:51 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 10:22 pm
J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 5:15 pm

Kuemper and Khudobin, my point was that they put up non-remarkable numbers here. In fact many people were clamoring that Kuemper was an AHL goalie at best, not a capable backup while he was here. Non-remarkable goalies in the "easiest job in the NHL" given the Wild's D, now having really strong seasons. NHL goaltending is weird... Martin Jones and Matt Murray, 2 years ago, were going to be the next Carey Price and Henrik Lundqvist of the NHL, well they both might not be starters next season. Look at Bobrovsky, that is not going well in Florida. I just don't buy that ANY goalie is going to be a significant upgrade over Stalock and Dubnyk right now. Because NHL Average would be a significant upgrade. Are upgrades out there, yes, but I don't there there is 2 dozen (who are/were available)... If it actually were that easy, Keumper, Khudobin, even Bryzgalov would've put up better numbers here. Bringing Holtby here, recent vezina winner, I don't think it is just an automatic .925 sv% and 1.95 GAA. I have no doubt, there would be an improvement over what we currently are getting, but I get the impression you and tank feel like we should just automatically have the best numbers in the NHL given some advance stats about high danger chances and that voodoo.

If they are willing to send Stalock to AHL, great. I will believe it when I see it. I did not realize how "friendly" Dubs buyout is, so that's on me. But nobody answered; why does Dubnyk's buyout cost drop the 2nd (and last) season, while someone like Rask's buyout stays constant for all 4 seasons?

"Can't see how Guerin does anything other than that." Sure, but I cannot see how he hasn't called up Kappo yet... I'd love to see if he can handle it now (in addition to helping the team) rather than waiting until next season and just throwing him to the wolves. As we've seen with Mayhew, AHL success doesn't automatically mean NHL success.

Anderson (assuming pending UFA Craig) is 38 and probably hanging it up. I hope the Wild don't go after him.
Crawford - don't want to touch that potential contract value given his injury and concussion history and current age, even as a backup... You'd likely just end up calling up Stalock anyway.
Halak or Greiss - I'd love to have one of them be a timeshare with Kappo to start the season and see how it goes.

Lehner - Will be expensive, and how long of a contract will he want.
Holtby - is 30 and having an awful season, wont be cheap either. Will he take a 2-3 year deal? Can he bounce back to near vezina form? Or are his numbers tailing off a'la Martin Jones/Matt Murray? Worth taking a chance on if you deem Kappo cannot handle full load.
Markstom - also 30, and probably not willing to do a timeshare. Would he take a 2-3 year deal? Has less wear and tear on him than Holtby...

Also, many of the leading goalies are in timeshares this season. Maybe not 50/50 time shares, but not on pace for 60+ games like many starters in recent years. Keeping them fresh and healthy, it could be the way the league is moving.

Hopefully Kappo can handle a 60/40 load and we can find a quality #2 or #1b at a reasonable price and term. Hopefully we get to see Kappo before the end of the season, maybe even get him some playoff action?
Anton Khudobin played a total of 6 games for the Wild 10 years ago for Todd Richards. Not sure you could find a more irrelevant example if you tried?
Ilya Bryzgalov played a total of 12 games for the Wild in Mike Yeo's system and put up 2.12 GAA. Again, not sure what your point is?
Darcy Kuemper did actually play in Boudreau's system. For a grand total of 18 games. I'm sure that's plenty of sample size to support your ideas.
Just because you don't/won't take the time to understand basic statistics, doesn't make them "voodoo"

Can you list even 1 example of Leipold not being willing to spend money? He's currently paying these salaries in Iowa-
JT Brown $700K
Kyle Rau $275K
Gabriel Dumont $400K
He's also paying Tyler Ennis $1.2M not to be here.

Dubnyk's buyout is different from Rask's because of the contract structure. Dubnyk's contract was front loaded, Rask's is straight up $4M per year.

You can find faults in any goaltender in the league, it still doesn't change the fact that every player listed above is better than Dubnyk/Stalock.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Mar 04 8:43 am

J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 11:51 pm

Anton Khudobin played a total of 6 games for the Wild 10 years ago for Todd Richards. Not sure you could find a more irrelevant example if you tried?
Ilya Bryzgalov played a total of 12 games for the Wild in Mike Yeo's system and put up 2.12 GAA. Again, not sure what your point is?
Darcy Kuemper did actually play in Boudreau's system. For a grand total of 18 games. I'm sure that's plenty of sample size to support your ideas.
Just because you don't/won't take the time to understand basic statistics, doesn't make them "voodoo"

Can you list even 1 example of Leipold not being willing to spend money? He's currently paying these salaries in Iowa-
JT Brown $700K
Kyle Rau $275K
Gabriel Dumont $400K

Dubnyk's buyout is different from Rask's because of the contract structure. Dubnyk's contract was front loaded, Rask's is straight up $4M per year.

You can find faults in any goaltender in the league, it still doesn't change the fact that every player listed above is better than Dubnyk/Stalock.
I've been hearing since JL was coach that the Wild propped up loser goalies who would barely be backups on other teams, because of their awesome defensive system. But you're right, we are talking about the current Wild.

I did take some time to look at the advanced stats, and I take an exception to some of the. Specifically the whole High-Danger / Low-danger thing. From what I read it only takes into account where on the ice the shot originated, that's it. So take for example Ovi's (first I think) goal on Sunday. A blast on the PP from his office. Beyond the top of the circles, tipped off a Wild D stick between the hash marks. That would be a "low-danger" shot due to where the shot originated. Ignoring screens, tips, etc. I just don't feel that I can put much stock into it - An Ovi blast from there is completely different from a Brodin wrister from there, not to mention tips or screens. Granted Ovi is a particular example and we play them once or twice a season, not regularly. Voodoo was likely a poor choice of words.

Forgot about JT Brown. I also think buyouts are a little different than burying someone in the minors, but maybe not, from an owner standpoint. Not trying to argue here. more looking for examples to support the case. Done. So it is very likely we will see Stalock in the minors.

Thanks for the clarification on the buyout/contracts.

And Yes, any one of those goalies would be 99.8% likely to be an improvement, and most likely a significant one, over what we are currently getting. I wasn't trying to find faults for reasons of not signing them. I was just trying to do a "If I were deciding between these goalies in particular, here is my thought process." I probably like Greiss and Halak the best given age, probable cost, potential for timeshare with Kappo. That's all I was going for. While Holtby might be a more obvious choice, I am afraid of his contract demands. And cases like Bobrovsky are kind of proving you shouldn't spend huge money on goaltending. (Not that Holtby would get a Bob contract with the current season he is having). Crawford is the only one I am really leery about, upgrade yes, but for how long can he actually play? That and I think Anderson is very likely to hang up his pads. If he sticks around, I wouldn't sign him more than 1 year at 38. Those 2 are the only I have real faults with.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Mar 04 8:48 am

Fiala and Kaprisov on the same team...Wild hockey could be a lot of fun if they can build around those two talents.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Mar 04 9:00 am

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Mar 04 8:48 am
Fiala and Kaprisov on the same team...Wild hockey could be a lot of fun if they can build around those two talents.
Please, please don't let Kaprisov be Nishioka...

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Mar 04 9:03 am

Getting fleeced in trades is such a Minnesota thing. I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Last night LaPanta mentioned that during their trade year, Fiala and Grandlund's statistics were almost exactly flipped from this season. Granlund was having the better year. It was the Wild who saw something in Fiala they felt they could build on. Kudos to them.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by Karlsson » Wed Mar 04 10:13 am

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Mar 04 9:03 am
Getting fleeced in trades is such a Minnesota thing. I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Last night LaPanta mentioned that during their trade year, Fiala and Grandlund's statistics were almost exactly flipped from this season. Granlund was having the better year. It was the Wild who saw something in Fiala they felt they could build on. Kudos to them.
Fenton saw that he could be a difference maker. Just had to grow up a bit and be consistent with his effort. Hope it continues.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Mar 04 10:14 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Mar 04 8:43 am
I did take some time to look at the advanced stats, and I take an exception to some of the. Specifically the whole High-Danger / Low-danger thing. From what I read it only takes into account where on the ice the shot originated, that's it. So take for example Ovi's (first I think) goal on Sunday. A blast on the PP from his office. Beyond the top of the circles, tipped off a Wild D stick between the hash marks. That would be a "low-danger" shot due to where the shot originated. Ignoring screens, tips, etc. I just don't feel that I can put much stock into it - An Ovi blast from there is completely different from a Brodin wrister from there, not to mention tips or screens. Granted Ovi is a particular example and we play them once or twice a season, not regularly. Voodoo was likely a poor choice of words.
Totally with you on the raw advanced stat issues with the high-danger / low-danger classification. I think there are some interesting takeaways from those stats, but I think the best stats have to pass the eye test to matter. Scoring chances are gold in hockey, but the advanced stats aren't there yet to classify those without some human judgement.

Mike Kelly is a good follow https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL

While there is some focus on raw stats like shots from the slot and the inner slot, he looks a lot at zone entries, zone exits, possession driving plays and rush scoring chances. The focus on some of those judgement advanced stats tells more about what's happening on the ice: https://www.thepointhockey.com/glossary/

I know he's also done some work on how most goals are scored with quick releases and with passes across the 'royal road.' I think straight up shots are like 6% of all NHL goals, but shots that cross the middle of the ice makeup about 50% of all goals.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Wed Mar 04 10:21 am

fightclub30 wrote:
J22 wrote:
Tue Mar 03 11:51 pm

JT Brown $700K
Kyle Rau $275K
Gabriel Dumont $400K

I've been hearing since JL was coach that the Wild propped up loser goalies who would barely be backups on other teams, because of their awesome defensive system. But you're right, we are talking about the current Wild.

Forgot about JT Brown. I also think buyouts are a little different than burying someone in the minors, but maybe not, from an owner standpoint. Not trying to argue here. more looking for examples to support the case. Done. So it is very likely we will see Stalock in the minors.

Thanks for the clarification on the buyout/contracts.

And Yes, any one of those goalies would be 99.8% likely to be an improvement, and most likely a significant one, over what we are currently getting. I wasn't trying to find faults for reasons of not signing them. I was just trying to do a "If I were deciding between these goalies in particular, here is my thought process." I probably like Greiss and Halak the best given age, probable cost, potential for timeshare with Kappo. That's all I was going for. While Holtby might be a more obvious choice, I am afraid of his contract demands. And cases like Bobrovsky are kind of proving you shouldn't spend huge money on goaltending. (Not that Holtby would get a Bob contract with the current season he is having). Crawford is the only one I am really leery about, upgrade yes, but for how long can he actually play? That and I think Anderson is very likely to hang up his pads. If he sticks around, I wouldn't sign him more than 1 year at 38. Those 2 are the only I have real faults with.
I agree with you that the formulas used in determining high/low danger shots are less than perfect, but they're flawed equally for every goalie.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Mar 04 11:31 am

Can a team buyout more than one player during an off season?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Wed Mar 04 12:06 pm

team22tank wrote:
Wed Mar 04 11:31 am
Can a team buyout more than one player during an off season?
Yes

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Mar 04 9:21 pm

Darcy Kuemper would be an HOF goalie here if it weren't for @gopherguy13
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Mar 05 9:19 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Mar 04 10:14 am
fightclub30 wrote:
Totally with you on the raw advanced stat issues with the high-danger / low-danger classification. I think there are some interesting takeaways from those stats, but I think the best stats have to pass the eye test to matter. Scoring chances are gold in hockey, but the advanced stats aren't there yet to classify those without some human judgement.

Mike Kelly is a good follow https://twitter.com/MikeKellyNHL

While there is some focus on raw stats like shots from the slot and the inner slot, he looks a lot at zone entries, zone exits, possession driving plays and rush scoring chances. The focus on some of those judgement advanced stats tells more about what's happening on the ice: https://www.thepointhockey.com/glossary/

I know he's also done some work on how most goals are scored with quick releases and with passes across the 'royal road.' I think straight up shots are like 6% of all NHL goals, but shots that cross the middle of the ice makeup about 50% of all goals.
Thanks Vegoe. I will have to check him out.

I stumbled across the "Royal Road" thing probably 3-4 years ago, it was fascinating the precentage increase that particular aspect had.

In case others are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3YLwDWpaZA

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Mar 05 9:51 pm

What’s the big idea !!! with having Ryan Carter on the color and all his reasonable analysis and solid takes?

That only leaves us the on ice play to make fun of !!!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Mar 05 9:55 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Mar 05 9:51 pm
What’s the big idea !!! with having Ryan Carter on the color and all his reasonable analysis and solid takes?

Like that terrible goal by Suter? :mrgreen:

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Mar 05 9:59 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Mar 05 9:55 pm
Bigbeer wrote:

That was a damn nice shot

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Mar 05 10:00 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Mar 05 9:59 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Mar 05 9:55 pm
Bigbeer wrote:

That was a damn nice shot
I’m mean...um...he got lucky....

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Mar 05 10:55 pm

J22 - you werent kidding. That was some atrocious D on that Wild goal.

The anchor just scored his 4th in 4 games and 25th overall this year.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Mar 05 11:01 pm

I really like the sharks jerseys.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Mar 05 11:02 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Mar 05 11:01 pm
The teals are SO much better IMO

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Mar 05 11:08 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Thu Mar 05 11:02 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Mar 05 11:01 pm
The teals are SO much better IMO
Agreed. Same goes for the Florida/Miami Marlins.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Mar 05 11:21 pm

Finally saw replay of the third goal. That backhand saucer pass by Kunin was a gorgeous thing to behold.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Mar 05 11:57 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Thu Mar 05 11:21 pm
Finally saw replay of the third goal. That backhand saucer pass by Kunin was a gorgeous thing to behold.
I’m assuming Fiala got the 2A cause that was a sweet play

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Mar 06 12:01 am

Woo hoo! Intense last period but hung on for the win!

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Mar 06 12:03 am

9 - 11 - 20 on the ice and good D to hold at the end there....big win.

Stalock solid again.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Fri Mar 06 12:03 am

Absolutely terrible third period, but they somehow hung on. Big win. Number 1 wildcard, for now.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Mar 06 12:06 am

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Mar 06 12:03 am
Absolutely terrible third period, but they somehow hung on. Big win. Number 1 wildcard, for now.
Outshot something like 18-3? Gave up 1 goal and hung on. Not a recipe for success

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Mar 06 12:14 am

Parise with goals in 4 straight games? Whaaaa?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 310 times
Been liked: 287 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Mar 06 12:22 am

Where are the 'fans'? :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by george » Fri Mar 06 7:02 am

[quote="Slap Shot" post_id=944892 time=1583475740 user_id=1041]
Where are the 'fans'? :mrgreen:
[/quote]

At home fearing Covid19.

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Mar 07 4:23 pm

That was some PP

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Mar 07 5:28 pm

Stalock sucks, video at 11.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Mar 07 5:31 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sat Mar 07 5:28 pm
Wash.
Rinse.
Repeat.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sat Mar 07 5:36 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sat Mar 07 5:28 pm
Even worse is the fact that this game most likely means Dubnyk tomorrow. :ahhh: :ahhh:

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 08 8:31 pm

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 08 8:40 pm

Greenway just ragdolled Ryan Getzlaf. Kid is a machine

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Mar 08 8:43 pm

I’m thinking Gretzlaf wanted Greenway out, he was playing in beast mode.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Mar 08 9:56 pm

What’s the Canes Zamboni Driver doing?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 08 10:50 pm

That's the guy that Bruce Boudreau was healthy scratching in October

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Mar 08 10:52 pm

Fiala. Nice.

How this team is in postseason conversations is crazy. They don't have a goalie. Very strange.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Mar 08 10:53 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Mar 08 10:52 pm
Fiala. Nice.

How this team is in postseason conversations is crazy. They don't have a goalie. Very strange.
They would be top three in the division with an average goaltender.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 08 10:54 pm

J22 wrote:
Sun Mar 08 10:50 pm
I read an article this morning about Fiala in a old newspaper I found from January, referencing that - he was still making a lot of dumb mistakes and causing turnovers, because of his aggressive and risk-taking style of play. He’s clearly sorted that out, good for him and for us!

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Mar 08 10:54 pm

Fiala is a damn Stud. If Kaprizov is something similar this team is going to be fun to watch.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 08 10:57 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Mar 08 10:52 pm
Fiala. Nice.

It’s kinda like the Twins - if you can put up a high number often you can do well....but it will only get you so far.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Mar 08 10:58 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 08 10:54 pm
J22 wrote:
I read an article this morning about Fiala in a old newspaper I found from January, referencing that - he was still making a lot of dumb mistakes and causing turnovers, because of his aggressive and risk-taking style of play. He’s clearly sorted that out, good for him and for us!
It’s an over blown narrative. Russo runs it into the ground every game with tweets and in his articles. If Fiala is on the ice Russo makes it be known. Either Russo has some agenda or he is firing up the part of the ignorant fan base that is still pissed we lost Granlund. Or a combo of both.

Fiala also leads the Wild in turnovers created. Just behind Greenway.

He is a machine. And Bruce locked him up all season. Makes you wonder why the old GM was so testy when everyone from the old guard was going against his plan. Yet he knew it to be true.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 08 10:59 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
J22 wrote:
Probably a Russo article covering for his buddy Bruce? Boudreau f*** up majorly with this roster and he rightfully lost his job for it.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 08 11:06 pm

Is that the last game that Dubnyk plays for the Wild?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Mar 08 11:09 pm

J22 wrote:
Sun Mar 08 10:59 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
J22 wrote:
Probably a Russo article covering for his buddy Bruce? Boudreau f*** up majorly with this roster and he rightfully lost his job for it.
I checked the paper at the bottom of the birdcage for ya - it was an article by Sarah McLellan.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Mar 09 12:01 am

J22 wrote:
Sun Mar 08 11:06 pm
JFC I hope so. This game doesn't even go to OT if the Wild had league-average goal tending. The second and third goals that he gave up were embarrassing.

Fiala has an insanely quick wrist shot.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Mar 09 2:20 am

J22 wrote:
Not addressing that position should be the nagging concern with fans regarding the direction of the franchise. Not addressing it is ok if you tank for a top pick in the draft. Not addressing it when the owner has shown he wants to make the playoffs by hook or by crook is confounding.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Mar 09 8:30 am

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Mar 09 12:01 am
J22 wrote:
JFC I hope so. This game doesn't even go to OT if the Wild had league-average goal tending. The second and third goals that he gave up were embarrassing.

Fiala has an insanely quick wrist shot.
The funny thing is that the narrative by the tv announcers and Russo tweets during the 2nd period were that the Wild werent playing well enough.

I get that wasn’t the most entertaining game and that the Wild weren’t sharp pushing the pace at times. But thru two periods they gave up 12 shots! And a few scoring chances. You take that every time.

If they had an average goaltender they would have put the Ducks to sleep by 2-3 goals and it would have been the easiest 2 points.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Mar 09 9:41 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Mon Mar 09 2:20 am
J22 wrote:
Not addressing that position should be the nagging concern with fans regarding the direction of the franchise. Not addressing it is ok if you tank for a top pick in the draft. Not addressing it when the owner has shown he wants to make the playoffs by hook or by crook is confounding.
Guerin threw away the entire season by doing nothing about the goaltending.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Mon Mar 09 11:56 am

J22 wrote:
Mon Mar 09 9:41 am
Thirty-Four wrote:
J22 wrote:
Well, the buck stops with him. A struggling Doofy and a spot-duty back up goalie were never going to get it done.

Seriously, if that goal tender tandem is back for next year, season ticket holders will let their wallets do their talking.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Mar 09 12:17 pm

J22 wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
J22 wrote:
Cap wise, what could they have executed this year? I think the expectation was they'd get league average goaltending.

https://www.capfriendly.com/signings/all/all/goalies

Maybe Cam Talbot, Curtis McElhinney or Mike Smith maybe were options, but would have put them in an awful cap spot for the season.

$ - https://theathletic.com/1234514/2019/09 ... ie%20tiers

This panel had Duby at No. 15... This evaluation from a GM pretty much summed up where a lot of people were on Dubnyk: “I think he’s a No. 1 goalie but he’s an average No. 1 goalie.”

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Mar 09 1:08 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Mon Mar 09 11:56 am
J22 wrote:
Thirty-Four wrote:
J22 wrote:
Well, the buck stops with him. A struggling Doofy and a spot-duty back up goalie were never going to get it done.

Seriously, if that goal tender tandem is back for next year, season ticket holders will let their wallets do their talking.
There is no way. A Dubnyk buyout is so painless.

We would save 1.6 million in cap next year and free up the roster spot.

Year two .8333 million cap hit.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Mar 09 1:37 pm

Dumb question. Does every NHL team have the same “salary cap?” And is that essentially the same thing as the max payroll?