2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: 2019-20 Wild

Post by J22 » Fri Jun 07 10:04 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:49 am
Vegoe wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:45 am
https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/n ... re-talking

Who the heck would they get back? The No. 10 pick would be nicer than what they have on their NHL roster.
That's another article from another team (like the Pitt one I linked above) where they're thrilled to be getting Zucker for whoever Fenton wants.

LOL.
That guy doesn't even know who or what the trade could be.

Your whiny takes are just awful.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 07 10:10 am

Laughing is whining? Since when? This is comedy to me. You need to check your detection devices. You're having a hard time right now.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 10:37 am

Vancouver has nothing worthy of the trade. I would rather stand pat even if they traded us Boeser. The only reason to make that deal would be he is younger and is "One of Us" so in reality there is no reason to make the deal.

The Wild has two reasons to make a trade, to get better or rebuild. That does neither.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 11:11 am

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:37 am
Vancouver has nothing worthy of the trade. I would rather stand pat even if they traded us Boeser. The only reason to make that deal would be he is younger and is "One of Us" so in reality there is no reason to make the deal.

The Wild has two reasons to make a trade, to get better or rebuild. That does neither.
You are saying you would NOT trade for Boeser? Not sure I am following that logic?

Not to mention no way Vancouver will do that.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jun 07 11:23 am

I’d trade Zucker for Boeser “even up” in a heartbeat. But Vancouver would laugh their ass off (at that offer by the Wild). :ahhh:

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jun 07 11:34 am

J22 wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:59 am
GopherPete wrote:
Fri Jun 07 8:18 am
J22 wrote:
Thu Jun 06 4:48 pm
GopherPete wrote:
Thu Jun 06 4:23 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Jun 06 1:41 pm
The Penguins had the deal in place to trade Kessel. This wasn’t just speculation. It would have been nice if it had gone through. I’m hoping it still will. Zucker is a solid player with the skating speed to play Sullivan’s preferred game and a decent scoring touch with an average of 25 goals the past three seasons. It’s a bit troubling this isn’t the first time the Wild tried to trade Zucker, but I could have moved past that. I’m not exactly expecting a big return for Kessel. The Penguins might not get much more than much-needed salary cap relief.

Other teams know Kessel is hard on coaches. He has worn out his welcome here — just as he did in Toronto and Boston — despite his point-a-game resume and his team-leading work on the power play. He doesn’t have much of a work ethic. He doesn’t believe in practicing hard, which sets a bad example for his younger teammates. He’s hardly in the best shape.

I have a hard time seeing Rutherford finding a taker willing to give back anything close to equal value for Kessel.

I keep hearing Arizona is a likely destination for Kessel, but I’m not buying it. I’m not convinced Coyotes coach Rick Tocchet wants Kessel even though he was the Kessel Whisperer when he was an assistant here on Sullivan’s staff. The Tocchet-Kessel relationship wouldn’t be the same with Tocchet as the head coach.
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron ... 1906050058

I know someone mentioned this recently and I've also brought it up previously, and people seemed to take offense to it, but clearly it is a real concern.
What would be the concern?
I don't know if you noticed the bolded section, but having that type of reputation is definitely a concern. Not only that, but as he ages he will fall off quickly due to being in terrible condition.
I guess we're having this conversation again. Could you please tell me the last time that Phil Kessel missed a game? Then could you please tell me what were his two most productive seasons? Thanks.
Could you please tell me what your apples have to do with my oranges?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Jun 07 12:14 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:34 am
J22 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
J22 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Jun 06 1:41 pm
The Penguins had the deal in place to trade Kessel. This wasn’t just speculation. It would have been nice if it had gone through. I’m hoping it still will. Zucker is a solid player with the skating speed to play Sullivan’s preferred game and a decent scoring touch with an average of 25 goals the past three seasons. It’s a bit troubling this isn’t the first time the Wild tried to trade Zucker, but I could have moved past that. I’m not exactly expecting a big return for Kessel. The Penguins might not get much more than much-needed salary cap relief.

Other teams know Kessel is hard on coaches. He has worn out his welcome here — just as he did in Toronto and Boston — despite his point-a-game resume and his team-leading work on the power play. He doesn’t have much of a work ethic. He doesn’t believe in practicing hard, which sets a bad example for his younger teammates. He’s hardly in the best shape.

I have a hard time seeing Rutherford finding a taker willing to give back anything close to equal value for Kessel.

I keep hearing Arizona is a likely destination for Kessel, but I’m not buying it. I’m not convinced Coyotes coach Rick Tocchet wants Kessel even though he was the Kessel Whisperer when he was an assistant here on Sullivan’s staff. The Tocchet-Kessel relationship wouldn’t be the same with Tocchet as the head coach.
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron ... 1906050058

I know someone mentioned this recently and I've also brought it up previously, and people seemed to take offense to it, but clearly it is a real concern.
I don't know if you noticed the bolded section, but having that type of reputation is definitely a concern. Not only that, but as he ages he will fall off quickly due to being in terrible condition.
I guess we're having this conversation again. Could you please tell me the last time that Phil Kessel missed a game? Then could you please tell me what were his two most productive seasons? Thanks.
If Kessel hasn't missed a game in a decade and his production is better than it has ever been, then who gives a flying f*** how much he can bench?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Jun 07 12:16 pm

Handyman wrote:

Boeser is miles better than Zucker. That's an even bigger no-brainer trade than Kessel

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 12:24 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:11 am
Handyman wrote:

You are saying you would NOT trade for Boeser? Not sure I am following that logic?

No I wouldn't. Boeser instead of Zucker gets us nowhere. The idea is to move the team along we are still a first round loser with that trade.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 12:27 pm

The One and Only about to hop on KFAN.

Will we hear the trifecta? Spurgeon/Zucker share an agent, Fenton needs to get ahead of the Spurgeon negotiation, Zucker must be just pissed gall dang it.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 07 12:44 pm

Rankings by available cap space.
14. Minnesota Wild

2019-20 salaries: $61.5 million
RFAs estimate: $6 million
Projected cap space: $15.4 million

The Wild are trying to move Jason Zucker and his $5.5-million commitment, which would set Minnesota up really well under the cap. But you wonder what new GM Paul Fenton has up his sleeve here, assuming the Phil Kessel trade doesn’t come through.

The Wild are in a tough spot with their huge commitments to Zach Parise and Ryan Suter now into their eighth season. They can’t exactly go into rebuild mode the way other teams in their position can.

But they’re not really burdened by many bad contracts, and there’s room to improve if they can be players for some of the significant free agents. Finding the right way to spend that $15-million or so is going to be vital if they’re going to return to the postseason.

Notable unsigned UFAs: Eric Fehr
https://theathletic.com/1014487/2019/06 ... -to-worst/

Pretty much in the middle with everything they do. :lol:
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 12:48 pm

Yes Parise and Suter are going to be a big reason the Wild do not bottom out. So forget that option.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 07 12:50 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:48 pm
Yes Parise and Suter are going to be a big reason the Wild do not bottom out. So forget that option.
They're also are the #1 and #2 reasons they never top out. :lol:

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 07 12:55 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:27 pm

Will we hear the trifecta? Spurgeon/Zucker share an agent, Fenton needs to get ahead of the Spurgeon negotiation, Zucker must be just pissed gall dang it.
Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong.

Dang, you missed on all three. Try again.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 12:58 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:50 pm
team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:48 pm
They're also are the #1 and #2 reasons they never top out. :lol:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0023312017.html

That's what the Wild roster and production should look like each year with the former team. Problem is guys 4-6 proved that production was an anomaly and not the norm.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 12:59 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:55 pm
team22tank wrote:

Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong.

Yup, check your ears.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by GopherPete » Fri Jun 07 1:13 pm

J22 wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:14 pm
GopherPete wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:34 am
J22 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
J22 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:

If Kessel hasn't missed a game in a decade and his production is better than it has ever been, then who gives a flying f*** how much he can bench?
This has nothing to do with bench pressing, I think you are missing the point:

"He doesn’t have much of a work ethic. He doesn’t believe in practicing hard, which sets a bad example for his younger teammates. He’s hardly in the best shape."

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 07 1:47 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:59 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong.

Yup, check your ears.
I can hear just fine. See through your hatred.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Jun 07 2:03 pm

$ - https://theathletic.com/1014192/2019/06 ... -1-p-m-et/

Has Huglen as a super sleeper.

Noted Brink is the hardest to rank basically because of his skating... ' Brink's feet flail, his stride stutters. It's going to be a massive project for a team's development crew... technical flaws (knock-kneed, bad recovery/kicks, lack of quick-twitch) scare off skating gurus more than power.'

Noted he thinks Podkolzin would be a good fit for DET, ANA, MIN just starting their 'rebuild' as the Russian will have KHL contract issues to resolve before coming over. Of course college players would be good fit for teams entering that phase too.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 2:08 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Jun 07 1:47 pm
team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:59 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong.

Yup, check your ears.
I can hear just fine. See through your hatred.
:lol:

In all fairness to Russo that segment was fine. He did touch on those issues though.

It's really the people that twist what he says into something more. Or take one little comment and make it in to something it was never intended to be.

Like I said before Russo knows what he is doing and his audience.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by F Da Sue » Fri Jun 07 9:48 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:24 pm
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:

No I wouldn't. Boeser instead of Zucker gets us nowhere. The idea is to move the team along we are still a first round loser with that trade.
I hate to break it to you but If they traded Zucker for Mathews they wouldn’t get out of the first round either. So by your logic we shouldn’t make that trade either.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 07 10:08 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:48 pm
Handyman wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:

I hate to break it to you but If they traded Zucker for Mathews they wouldn’t get out of the first round either. So by your logic we shouldn’t make that trade either.
Tavares couldn't get Toronto out of the first round.

And get out of the first round when, forever? Boeser at 22 in 2 NHL seasons already has one more 50 point season than Zucker. That doesnt even get into the time he missed.

I can only think with that take he is trying to give the Soobster a run for his money :wink:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 11:23 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Handyman wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:

I would argue Mathews would do more to better his teammates than Boeser will (or Zucker does) but you are probably right which is technically why I want a rebuild. ;) As long as we are stuck with the Old Men we just arent that good and barring a lot of players hitting their stride next year the team will do not much of value.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 11:33 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:08 pm
F Da Sue wrote:
Handyman wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Tavares couldn't get Toronto out of the first round.

And get out of the first round when, forever? Boeser at 22 in 2 NHL seasons already has one more 50 point season than Zucker. That doesnt even get into the time he missed.

I can only think with that take he is trying to give the Soobster a run for his money :wink:
When? Next year genius. I know reading it your forte so I guess it might be too much to ask for you to actually put a little critical thinking into your troll bit.

If Boeser is part of a long term rebuild fine make the move. As long as Parise, Suter and Koivu are on the team sucking up ice time and dollars it wont make a difference and you know it. Trading Zucker only helps the squad if it makes them a contender next year or hastens the end of the Old Man Era. Otherwise we are moving around deck chairs on the Titanic.

Here I will simplify it even more for you: Since we cant rebuild, who gives a crap about how good Boeser will be some time in the future. We are stuck with the team we have now so either we stand pat and be mediocre or we trade for pieces that can help us now. (short term stuff) Boeser will be wasted on this team.

Honestly maybe we are just better off leaving it alone. Most likely the old men will get hurt and the season will tank anyways. Maybe that is our best bet.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jun 10 12:17 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:33 pm

When? Next year genius. I know reading it your forte so I guess it might be too much to ask for you to actually put a little critical thinking into your troll bit.

If Boeser is part of a long term rebuild fine make the move. As long as Parise, Suter and Koivu are on the team sucking up ice time and dollars it wont make a difference and you know it. Trading Zucker only helps the squad if it makes them a contender next year or hastens the end of the Old Man Era. Otherwise we are moving around deck chairs on the Titanic.

Here I will simplify it even more for you: Since we cant rebuild, who gives a crap about how good Boeser will be some time in the future. We are stuck with the team we have now so either we stand pat and be mediocre or we trade for pieces that can help us now. (short term stuff) Boeser will be wasted on this team.

Honestly maybe we are just better off leaving it alone. Most likely the old men will get hurt and the season will tank anyways. Maybe that is our best bet.

p1. Fenton isn't making any of these moves for next year alone. I don't know what my reading forte or critical thinking has to do with challenging a no Zucker for Boeser thought. And I certainly am not trolling, in fact anyone even probably Scooby understands why you would take Boeser for Zucker.

p2. Of course Boeser would be a long term move. He is 22, he would be 28 (about Zucker's age now) when the Parise/Suter contracts expire if they even finish them out. And as far as Parise and Suter, financially they aren't stopping the Wild from doing anything they would want to or feasibly could any way from a salary cap stand point. Not to mention 7.5 against a 83 million cap is quite a bit different then 7.5 against 63.8 when they started with the Wild and that will continue for the next 6 years. After this off season they will probably be in the 35 range in terms of size of contract, it isn't 2013 anymore.

p3. Not really understanding your thought here unless you are still stuck on Parise and Suter? The Wild currently have 5 forwards 23 or younger, Boeser would be 6, they all project as top 9 forwards. Karpizov is one season away, that is 7. Koivu has a year left, Staal two. In a couple of years a majority of the Wild's top 9 forwards will be 25 or younger. So adding a player of Boeser's caliber who would jump to the head of the young forward pack, no brainer.

Fenton has two jobs right now, 1, do his best to make the current team competitive for next season while getting younger. 2. Not giving up any draft picks (which it doesn't appear he will) and really stock pile the system. After the Wild draft this year they will have added more to the prospect pool in two years versus the three prior. www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006879.html not even getting into how barren 2016 was.

For as much as people may complain about the late first round pick, what the Wild did in round 3 last year is looking very good.

Unfortunately no team would ever trade Boeser for Zucker.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 10 4:16 pm

Fenton is doing exactly the opposite of what the Twins have done.. He's fired his analytics department. He's gutted his scouts. And he's thrown temper tantrums every time someone disagreed with one of his deals. Heard he had a fit with whoever it was in the Wild organization who disagreed with him on Kessel.

He's doing pretty much the opposite of what everyone else is doing. Analytics is everything now. Also heard (again) that Boston was willing to give more for Coyle than they did. But, Fenton wanted a hockey trade. Same thing he did with Granlund.

Going to be interesting to see who he hires for his front office. Cause it's gutted right now. Also going to be very interesting what he does with the roster. As I understand it right now it's completely full. They have no roster slots open.

None of this came from Michael Russo.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jun 10 4:34 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jun 10 4:16 pm
Fenton is doing exactly the opposite of what the Twins have done.. He's fired his analytics department. He's gutted his scouts. And he's thrown temper tantrums every time someone disagreed with one of his deals. Heard he had a fit with whoever it was in the Wild organization who disagreed with him on Kessel.

He's doing pretty much the opposite of what everyone else is doing. Analytics is everything now. Also heard (again) that Boston was willing to give more for Coyle than they did. But, Fenton wanted a hockey trade. Same thing he did with Granlund.

Going to be interesting to see who he hires for his front office. Cause it's gutted right now. Also going to be very interesting what he does with the roster. As I understand it right now it's completely full. They have no roster slots open.

You have a source for any of this?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jun 10 4:45 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:

Really? The Twins just had a decade run that was one of the worst in all of sports during that period.

I am loving the Twins run and am not going to pit them against another local team because its irrelevant, Twins, Vikes, Wild, ect. Except the Wolves flame away :D

But anyway I would hope you would see through comparing what the Twins have just been through as some sort of standard to follow. Especially since we don't know what the end result is and first round losses don't cut it. See Wild 2017.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 10 6:42 pm

I don’t know. Fenton has made some questionable moves this far so I wouldn’t call BS on Scooby right now. Regardless of the source, the smoke is billowing.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 10 7:36 pm

team22tank wrote:
Mon Jun 10 4:45 pm
Really? The Twins just had a decade run that was one of the worst in all of sports during that period.
Not since the new GM was hired. That's kind of the line of when things start ay? Don't see me blaming Fenton for any of Chuckles moves do ya?

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jun 10 8:37 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jun 10 6:42 pm
I don’t know. Fenton has made some questionable moves this far so I wouldn’t call BS on Scooby right now. Regardless of the source, the smoke is billowing.
You honestly think a guy that has been an assistant GM for 20 years would actually turn down additional assets in a trade? Fenton has given the fans plenty of things to gripe about, but at some point common sense needs to make an appearance.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 10 8:43 pm

J22 wrote:
Mon Jun 10 8:37 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
You honestly think a guy that has been an assistant GM for 20 years would actually turn down additional assets in a trade? Fenton has given the fans plenty of things to gripe about, but at some point common sense needs to make an appearance.
I didn't say I believe every word as fact, but Fenton's looking like a bust so far and I don't understand why people seem to fight that other than they have a reflex to dig heals in against Scoob.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Jun 10 9:11 pm

J22 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
He's arrogant. So. Yes.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jun 10 9:25 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jun 10 9:11 pm
J22 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
He's arrogant. So. Yes.
That says quite a bit more about you than it does about Fenton.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 10 10:05 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Mon Jun 10 9:11 pm
J22 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
He's arrogant. So. Yes.
This is where you lose people.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jun 11 12:16 am

J22 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Garth Snow kept his job for what, 12-15 years. :wink:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 11 1:08 am

team22tank wrote:
Mon Jun 10 4:45 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:

What does that have to do with the changes the Twins have made in assembling a roster, finally using analytics, ceasing their stupid "pitch to contact" philosphy, etc. whereas the Wild look they're going nowhere? Dear Parise.
Currently under construction.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 11 8:12 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 11 1:08 am

What does that have to do with the changes the Twins have made in assembling a roster, finally using analytics, ceasing their stupid "pitch to contact" philosphy, etc. whereas the Wild look they're going nowhere? Dear Parise.
Falvey & Levine have been here three seasons and we are applauding them at this point. Which is well deserved based on what the Twins are doing.

I am going to personally give it a little time to marinate especially since we have 5 forwards who are very young.

Fenton let go of one person in the analytics department and the other left on her own to follow her husbands career path, I believe out West. Hardly as dramatic as Scooby tries his best to paint it. Not to mention is it really that rare for a new GM to make some changes to an organization? Did the Gold Standard Falvey and Levine make any changes to the Twins organization or is everything the exact same except those two? I honestly have no idea?

As far as Fenton's belief in analytics. Have you even heard a sniff of a trade rumor for Brodin, Dumba or Spurgeon? I have not and those three specifically Dumba & Spurgeon would bring the biggest return. You know who scores off the charts in analytics, the Wild's top 4 Dmen. They are one of the best at producing offense as a D unit and they suppress shots better than anyone over the last 7 years. So unless something changes or an offer comes across, those 3 appear to be going no where.

Actions might speak louder than some emotional fan's words.
Last edited by team22tank on Tue Jun 11 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 11 8:23 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jun 10 8:43 pm
J22 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
I didn't say I believe every word as fact, but Fenton's looking like a bust so far and I don't understand why people seem to fight that other than they have a reflex to dig heals in against Scoob.
Where is he looking like a bust? And how are we able to tell based on approximately 35 games after he started to fall out of favor?

The Wild team that he inherited was in a 3 way tie for 8th in points when the first domino went (Nino) at the 45 game mark. That version of the team had Dumba for 32 games and Koivu for all of them and that is all they could muster up. Moving forward Dumba and Koivu were available for 0 games.

I am sure when he saw Nino, Coyle, and Zucker (obviously we know the Zucker trade didn't finalize) failing to pick up the slack in any way with Dumba being out and knowing that those three produced next to nothing in the playoffs, it was time to try a new path.

Granlund was slightly different, he was producing well beyond the other three. But he is due a contract extension this off season or you let him play into free agency. Either way he is getting a deal. Fenton obviously wasn't comfortable committing long term and big $ to Granlund.

Could you imagine in 2013 calling Fletcher a bust because 3 three young prospects everyone were excited about, Coyle, Granlund and Zucker didn't do anything. Zucker did nothing in 20 games and was routinely sent to Houston/Iowa, Granlund was sent down and they didn't even let him play in the playoffs, Coyle mustered up the equivalent of 30 points in the lockout year. It turns out Fletcher was not a bust but he couldn't get over the hump.

Fortunately this time around our 5 young forwards have NHL experience & are further along in their development going into next year.

A little premature to call Fenton's tenure a bust in my opinion.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Jun 11 10:34 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Tue Jun 11 12:16 am
J22 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Garth Snow kept his job for what, 12-15 years. :wink:
Signing DiPietro for 15 years helped his exit :lol: . And we can’t forget Mike Milbury signing Yashin to a 10 year deal. The Islanders have two of the worst long contracts ever.

Since I was quick looking this up apparently Milbury traded Chara and a draft pick, Spezza, to the Sens for Yashin.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 11 1:57 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jun 11 8:12 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 11 1:08 am

Falvey & Levine have been here three seasons and we are applauding them at this point. Which is well deserved based on what the Twins are doing.

I am going to personally give it a little time to marinate especially since we have 5 forwards who are very young.

Fenton let go of one person in the analytics department and the other left on her own to follow her husbands career path, I believe out West. Hardly as dramatic as Scooby tries his best to paint it. Not to mention is it really that rare for a new GM to make some changes to an organization? Did the Gold Standard Falvey and Levine make any changes to the Twins organization or is everything the exact same except those two? I honestly have no idea?

As far as Fenton's belief in analytics. Have you even heard a sniff of a trade rumor for Brodin, Dumba or Spurgeon? I have not and those three specifically Dumba & Spurgeon would bring the biggest return. You know who scores off the charts in analytics, the Wild's top 4 Dmen. They are one of the best at producing offense as a D unit and they suppress shots better than anyone over the last 7 years. So unless something changes or an offer comes across, those 3 appear to be going no where.

Actions might speak louder than some emotional fan's words.
Fenton got less for Coyle, Nino, and Granlund that he could have. That's well documented. That has NOTHING to do with how those players turn out.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 11 2:01 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jun 11 1:57 pm

Fenton got less for Coyle, Nino, and Granlund that he could have. That's well documented. That has NOTHING to do with how those players turn out.
Really, interesting? Please share what deals he turned down, I honestly would love to know.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 11 2:04 pm

As I posted above. Boston expected to have to add a pick. The Wild could have said if you make the Stanley Cup Finals we get a 3rd round pick, or something like that. Granlund should have definitely gotten more than he did. If you don't see that then let's just shut up right now.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 11 2:13 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jun 11 2:04 pm
As I posted above. Boston expected to have to add a pick. The Wild could have said if you make the Stanley Cup Finals we get a 3rd round pick, or something like that. Granlund should have definitely gotten more than he did. If you don't see that then let's just shut up right now.
Boston did add a pick, we are getting a 4th rounder for Coyle in addition to Donato. It went from a 5th to a 4th after they got to the 2nd round.

So you don't know what other deals were on the table for Granlund? just that they "should have definitely gotten more" Got it.

You do understand that Nashville added a $5.750 of Cap hit with Granlund and really didn't unload anything sending us Fiala on an entry level deal and they are screwed right now Cap wise? And the result of that is Nashville has to move players/salary to even field a team next year. They weren't going to give up prospects when their prospects are going to have to be their cheap alternative. That doesn't even get into whether or not Nashville is interested in ponying up to resign Granlund.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 11 2:18 pm

Then the Boston was going to go higher if they got to the final and that was left off the table. Nashville had everything to do with Fenton's obsession with Fiala.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Jun 11 2:40 pm

I personally agree with the opinion that Fenton should've been able to get more out of those 3 trades. But to say that it's a fact that he was offered more and turned it down? That's not only incorrect, it's also just plain silly.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 11 3:08 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Jun 11 2:40 pm
I personally agree with the opinion that Fenton should've been able to get more out of those 3 trades. But to say that it's a fact that he was offered more and turned it down? That's not only incorrect, it's also just plain silly.
I get the impression that a lot of people don't understand how hard core the NHL salary cap is, there is zero way around it, no way to cut people loose, restructure ect. and how it plays into these trades.

A team that takes on cap and doesn't give any back is not going to give up "more." Nashville gave us two things, Fiala and Cap space. A draft pic would have been nice and probably would have been more realistic if Granlund had two or three years left on his deal. But Nashville is now in a situation where Granlund may be playing into free agency in a year. Those are all factors.

The Coyle deal I have absolutely no problem with. The Wild are getting a player with goal scoring potential which we desperately need and a 4th round pick. Boston didn't have to take on much with Coyle's 3.2 cap hit, they certainly won't have to make moves to accommodate him next season, like Nashville has to address now with Granlund.

Rask for Nino, we can only hope Rask provides something next season being healthy and going into the season with the team.

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Tue Jun 11 3:38 pm

Is there a way to add ‘Season’ to the thread title?

Boston Apologist

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 11 4:39 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Tue Jun 11 3:38 pm
And change 20 to 2020?

Regarding those trades if Fenton wasn't in a position to get more why does it feel as though the Wild too often came out on the short end of the stick compared with other trades happening at the same time?
Currently under construction.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 374 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jun 11 5:52 pm

Should be updated now. :)
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 11 6:16 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 11 4:39 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
And change 20 to 2020?

Regarding those trades if Fenton wasn't in a position to get more why does it feel as though the Wild too often came out on the short end of the stick compared with other trades happening at the same time?
Yes. Thank you.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 11 6:24 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 11 4:39 pm
YoungEagle wrote:
And change 20 to 2020?

How did you make it through that NHL thread title so long?

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Jun 11 7:00 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Jun 11 5:52 pm
Should be updated now. :)
Nice to see nepotism is working on GPL!
Does this mean you get to go to YE's cabin for Fathers Day?
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jun 12 9:44 am

Russo has a long interview with Fenton and article about the Wild today. Too bad it's not another reporter so any of it would be believable by anyone but me.

But, whatever, for those that may be interested and have an Athletic subscription.

https://theathletic.com/1022758/2019/06 ... -and-more/

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 12 10:47 am

Well he certainly sounds arrogant in that piece...

;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed Jun 12 12:04 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Jun 12 10:47 am
Well he certainly sounds arrogant in that piece...

;)
Fenton or Russo? :biggrin2:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 12 1:12 pm

:lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Jun 17 3:47 pm

Connor Dewar is looking like a good draft pick thus far. Been lighting up the WHL. Sounds like he signed recently too, like in April.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/connor-dewar

Boston Apologist

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jun 17 4:13 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Mon Jun 17 3:47 pm
Connor Dewar is looking like a good draft pick thus far. Been lighting up the WHL. Sounds like he signed recently too, like in April.

All three of the Wild's 3rd round picks carry some intrigue right now. They are certainly showing that they deserve a shot at the AHL. And that is really all you can hope for in an amateur draft, get as many of your guys next level ready. Then when you have a young, stocked AHL team, get as many in that bucket to the NHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006879.html

Fenton was able to find a lot of NHL talent in the middle rounds while in Nashville. And he was directly in charge of Milwaukee. When you look at their roster this past season that is how a farm system should look. Lots of young talent.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0026122019.html

Unfortunately people do not have any patience to see what they guy can do. Some are already calling for his head.
Last edited by team22tank on Mon Jun 17 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Jun 17 4:18 pm

All you can hope for? You can also hope to not take a 7th rounder with a first round pick.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Mon Jun 17 4:22 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Jun 17 4:18 pm
All you can hope for? You can also hope to not take a 7th rounder with a first round pick.
Yeah because you have such an eye for NHL caliber talent that you can determine a late first round pick a year removed from the draft.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 18 8:01 am

team22tank wrote:
Mon Jun 17 4:13 pm
YoungEagle wrote:

All three of the Wild's 3rd round picks carry some intrigue right now. They are certainly showing that they deserve a shot at the AHL. And that is really all you can hope for in an amateur draft, get as many of your guys next level ready. Then when you have a young, stocked AHL team, get as many in that bucket to the NHL.

Fenton was able to find a lot of NHL talent in the middle rounds while in Nashville. And he was directly in charge of Milwaukee. When you look at their roster this past season that is how a farm system should look. Lots of young talent.

Unfortunately people do not have any patience to see what they guy can do. Some are already calling for his head.
Maybe that's because the owner lied to the people who pay him and the GM lied to the owner to get hired?

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 18 8:11 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jun 18 8:01 am

Maybe that's because the owner lied to the people who pay him and the GM lied to the owner to get hired?
Not sure I follow?

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 18 8:17 am

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jun 18 8:11 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:

Not sure I follow?
Tweek.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Jun 18 10:40 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
team22tank wrote:
Mon Jun 17 4:13 pm
YoungEagle wrote:

This was what happened. Fenton didn’t have much of a chance going in and this was mentioned by more than one poster after Leo said what he did about the Wild being close to winning. If Fenton wanted the gig, he couldn’t tell Leo that a tear down was necessary.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 18 3:39 pm

Pavelski, Anders Lee and Simmonds all intrigued by the Wild in free agency.

So much for The Thrill isn't waiving his no trade, there for the Wild aren't a destination.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 18 3:58 pm

None of those get Parise, Suter, and Koivu to a Cup.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Jun 18 4:00 pm

Parise Suter and Koivu at current cap hit don't get the Wild a cup.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 18 4:04 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jun 18 3:58 pm
Wasn't the point of the post. I personally am weary of being to crazy in FA. Just pointing out that those that spoke the loudest about the destination crap were wrong.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 18 4:07 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jun 18 4:04 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Wasn't the point of the post. I personally am weary of being to crazy in FA. Just pointing out that those that spoke the loudest about the destination crap were wrong.
Uh Huh. They haven't signed here yet. Just because Phil isn't nice doesn't mean they aren't. Most people job hunting listen to all the offers and play nice with everyone.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 18 4:13 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Jun 18 4:07 pm
team22tank wrote:
Tue Jun 18 4:04 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Uh Huh. They haven't signed here yet. Just because Phil isn't nice doesn't mean they aren't. Most people job hunting listen to all the offers and play nice with everyone.
Sounds good Scooby sounds like you have it all figured out. MN truly isn't a destination it is just that some of the top free agents are nice guys and letting an organization they have no history with feel good about itself. Good stuff.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Jun 18 7:12 pm

team22tank wrote:
Tue Jun 18 3:39 pm

So much for The Thrill isn't waiving his no trade, there for the Wild aren't a destination.
I wouldn't be so sure that Kessel doesn't end up on the Wild

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Tue Jun 18 8:34 pm

J22 wrote:
Tue Jun 18 7:12 pm
team22tank wrote:

The Pens GM did say that he is now expecting Kessel to be on the team next year. He’s usually a straight forward guy, so it would shock me if he wasn’t playing with Pittsburgh next year.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Jun 18 8:51 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Tue Jun 18 8:34 pm
J22 wrote:
team22tank wrote:

The Pens GM did say that he is now expecting Kessel to be on the team next year. He’s usually a straight forward guy, so it would shock me if he wasn’t playing with Pittsburgh next year.
Rutherford knows that Kessel wants out of Pittsburgh much more than Pittsburgh wants to be rid of Kessel. Saying what he did now puts everything back on Kessel. That "straight forward guy" is also the guy who leaked the Kessel/Zucker story in the first place. Pretty $h!teee thing to do

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Wed Jun 19 9:05 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Tue Jun 18 8:34 pm
J22 wrote:
team22tank wrote:

No question that Phil in Pitt next season would be a safe bet. I think J22 is just saying now that Phil knows all his options which it doesn't sound like there are many, he could go to Pitt and say, "ok I will accept the trade."