2019-2020 Wild Season

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Aug 08 6:30 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:55 pm
Geez, it sounds like some of you guys have a man crush on Boeser. :mrgreen:
Well, it’s always nice when a 1st round draft pick turns into a 30 goal per year scorer from day one of hitting the NHL like a Boeser. The last (of that caliber) #1 picks the Wild drafted was Gabby ☝️

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times
Age: 54

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Aug 08 6:33 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:30 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:55 pm
Geez, it sounds like some of you guys have a man crush on Boeser. :mrgreen:
Well, it’s always nice when a 1st round draft pick turns into a 30 goal per year scorer rom day one of hitting the NHL (aka Boeser). The last (of that caliber) #1 picks the Wild drafted was Gabby ☝️
But Boeser has never scored 30 in a year yet. He scored 29 once. :wink:

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Aug 08 6:34 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:33 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:30 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:55 pm
Geez, it sounds like some of you guys have a man crush on Boeser. :mrgreen:
Well, it’s always nice when a 1st round draft pick turns into a 30 goal per year scorer rom day one of hitting the NHL (aka Boeser). The last (of that caliber) #1 picks the Wild drafted was Gabby ☝️
But Boeser has never scored 30 in a year yet. He scored 29 once. :wink:
LOL rounding 🤠

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Sat Aug 08 6:37 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:52 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:36 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:10 pm
Yep, expecting them to score like say...Boeser isn’t realistic 👍
Just like expecting Boeser to be able to play a two-way game or defend anyone is a bad idea. 5 Greenways on the ice against 5 Boesers would be an absolute murder of Boeser.

LOL..How about 3 Greenways & 2 Boesers LOL? So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade one Greenway for one Boeser even up? Got it :biggrin2:
I'm shocked that you're not smart enough to figure this out. Let's see if we can dumb it down enough for you.

I think most people would say that Brock Boeser is a better hockey player than Jordan Greenway. I think that most people would prefer to have Brock Boeser on their team over Jordan Greenway. However, each player has to fill a certain role on the team because like I said above, a team of Jordan Greenway's would destroy a team of Brock Boeser's just like Jordan Greenway playing on a line with Elias Petterson and JT Miller would outscore Brock Boeser if he was playing on a line with Joel Eriksson Ek and Luke Kunin.

Kind of similar to how the Wild's core of defensemen is miles better than Vancouver's but you would never be able to tell because one of those groups has to play in front of Alex Stalock and Devan Dubnyk.

Long story longer- replacing Joel Eriksson Ek with Brock Boeser on this team changes absolutely nothing because a guy who stands in front of the net and taps in rebounds is not what the Wild are missing.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Aug 08 6:55 pm

J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:37 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:52 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:36 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:10 pm
Yep, expecting them to score like say...Boeser isn’t realistic 👍
Just like expecting Boeser to be able to play a two-way game or defend anyone is a bad idea. 5 Greenways on the ice against 5 Boesers would be an absolute murder of Boeser.

LOL..How about 3 Greenways & 2 Boesers LOL? So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade one Greenway for one Boeser even up? Got it :biggrin2:


Long story longer- replacing Joel Eriksson Ek with Brock Boeser on this team changes absolutely nothing because a guy who stands in front of the net and taps in rebounds is not what the Wild are missing.
If Vancouver offered Boeser for Erik Ek straight up Guerin would make that trade in a HEART BEAT...nuff said :lol: But by all means, keep digging your hole deeper, maybe you’ll find Pominville along the way :dup:

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3851
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 137 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Aug 08 8:56 pm

Paging Brandon (I got a fresh batch of $20s) Bochenski.
You have a call from Stillwater holding on line #1.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times
Age: 33

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Aug 08 9:00 pm

Bochenski bucks!

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4947
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by gopher6 » Sun Aug 09 8:52 am

What was the issue with Suter?

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times
Age: 54

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Aug 09 9:14 am

gopher6 wrote:
Sun Aug 09 8:52 am
What was the issue with Suter?
According to Russo on the talk north podcast, he was hit in the ankle (foot) with a shot. It was the same ankle he had surgery on before, and hoping this won't be an issue going forward.

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by glenhogan21 » Sun Aug 09 9:30 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:55 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:37 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:52 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:36 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:10 pm
Yep, expecting them to score like say...Boeser isn’t realistic 👍
Just like expecting Boeser to be able to play a two-way game or defend anyone is a bad idea. 5 Greenways on the ice against 5 Boesers would be an absolute murder of Boeser.

LOL..How about 3 Greenways & 2 Boesers LOL? So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade one Greenway for one Boeser even up? Got it :biggrin2:


Long story longer- replacing Joel Eriksson Ek with Brock Boeser on this team changes absolutely nothing because a guy who stands in front of the net and taps in rebounds is not what the Wild are missing.
If Vancouver offered Boeser for Erik Ek straight up Guerin would make that trade in a HEART BEAT...nuff said :lol: But by all means, keep digging your hole deeper, maybe you’ll find Pominville along the way :dup:

Handful of teams would rather have Erickson Ek vs the guy they drafted in 1st round In 2015. With that said if I couid re-draft that 1st round, I take Konecny not Boeser.

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times
Age: 27

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by YoungEagle » Sun Aug 09 7:02 pm

glenhogan21 wrote:
Sun Aug 09 9:30 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:55 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:37 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:52 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:36 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:10 pm
Yep, expecting them to score like say...Boeser isn’t realistic 👍
Just like expecting Boeser to be able to play a two-way game or defend anyone is a bad idea. 5 Greenways on the ice against 5 Boesers would be an absolute murder of Boeser.

LOL..How about 3 Greenways & 2 Boesers LOL? So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade one Greenway for one Boeser even up? Got it :biggrin2:


Long story longer- replacing Joel Eriksson Ek with Brock Boeser on this team changes absolutely nothing because a guy who stands in front of the net and taps in rebounds is not what the Wild are missing.
If Vancouver offered Boeser for Erik Ek straight up Guerin would make that trade in a HEART BEAT...nuff said :lol: But by all means, keep digging your hole deeper, maybe you’ll find Pominville along the way :dup:

Handful of teams would rather have Erickson Ek vs the guy they drafted in 1st round In 2015. With that said if I couid re-draft that 1st round, I take Konecny not Boeser.
I think Aho was taken in that draft too. Little later but he’s been lights out for a few years.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Aug 09 7:27 pm

NHL teams should Draft the best player they view as available...that’s obviously a given. Just DON’T intentionally pass on a local kid simply because he’s a local kid...all other things being equal.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times
Age: 54

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Aug 09 8:09 pm

Better get this in before someone wants this thread closed down since the season is over :wink:

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3400
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Karlsson » Mon Aug 10 12:15 pm

YoungEagle wrote:
Sun Aug 09 7:02 pm
glenhogan21 wrote:
Sun Aug 09 9:30 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:55 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 6:37 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 5:52 pm
J22 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:36 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Sat Aug 08 4:10 pm
Yep, expecting them to score like say...Boeser isn’t realistic 👍
Just like expecting Boeser to be able to play a two-way game or defend anyone is a bad idea. 5 Greenways on the ice against 5 Boesers would be an absolute murder of Boeser.

LOL..How about 3 Greenways & 2 Boesers LOL? So you’re saying you wouldn’t trade one Greenway for one Boeser even up? Got it :biggrin2:


Long story longer- replacing Joel Eriksson Ek with Brock Boeser on this team changes absolutely nothing because a guy who stands in front of the net and taps in rebounds is not what the Wild are missing.
If Vancouver offered Boeser for Erik Ek straight up Guerin would make that trade in a HEART BEAT...nuff said :lol: But by all means, keep digging your hole deeper, maybe you’ll find Pominville along the way :dup:

Handful of teams would rather have Erickson Ek vs the guy they drafted in 1st round In 2015. With that said if I couid re-draft that 1st round, I take Konecny not Boeser.
I think Aho was taken in that draft too. Little later but he’s been lights out for a few years.
Yeah, Aho was in the second round.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4947
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by gopher6 » Mon Aug 10 4:02 pm


User avatar
grothm01
Rookie
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Oct 13 1:13 pm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
Age: 77

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by grothm01 » Mon Aug 10 5:23 pm

Any thoughts about who might be available at #9, in the draft.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Aug 10 5:33 pm

Look for defensive forwards ranked in the 25-45 range, preferably that put up 5-10 points "against men" last year, and it could be one of those guys.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Mon Aug 10 6:04 pm

grothm01 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 5:23 pm
Any thoughts about who might be available at #9, in the draft.
Marco Rossi
Anton Lundell
Alexander Holtz

One of those 3 would be my guess

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Aug 10 6:08 pm

J22 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 6:04 pm
grothm01 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 5:23 pm
Any thoughts about who might be available at #9, in the draft.
Marco Rossi
Anton Lundell
Alexander Holtz

One of those 3 would be my guess
Anton Lundell seems like Koivu 2.0, everything I've read about him anyway. All they talk about is his 2-way game.

Jack Quinn?

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Mon Aug 10 6:13 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 6:08 pm
J22 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 6:04 pm
grothm01 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 5:23 pm
Any thoughts about who might be available at #9, in the draft.
Marco Rossi
Anton Lundell
Alexander Holtz

One of those 3 would be my guess
Anton Lundell seems like Koivu 2.0, everything I've read about him anyway. All they talk about is his 2-way game.

Jack Quinn?
Lundell's numbers this year compare very favorably to Anze Kopitar's at the same age, but he is considered to be more of the 2way O'Reilly, Toews, Bergeron type of center.

Quinn is another guy that is considered a top 10 option.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29008
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Beauner » Mon Aug 10 6:21 pm

Here comes another left shot defenseman. Probably the UND commit.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Gopher99
Veteran
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Jan 28 3:43 pm
Location: Hopkins
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Gopher99 » Mon Aug 10 7:40 pm

Could definitely see us going the defenseman route in the draft

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Aug 10 10:44 pm



So it is written...
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29008
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Beauner » Mon Aug 10 10:47 pm

Pronman had the Wild taking the Russian goalie Askarov at 9 in his mock. Says he's currently signed through 2022 with SKA in the KHL. First time I'd seen that name linked to the Wild (granted I just started looking into mock drafty things after they got knocked out).
Is the league not very high on Kaapo? I thought he looked real solid up here in his brief stint and he just won AHL Goalie of the Year.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Aug 11 9:37 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Aug 10 10:47 pm
Pronman had the Wild taking the Russian goalie Askarov at 9 in his mock. Says he's currently signed through 2022 with SKA in the KHL. First time I'd seen that name linked to the Wild (granted I just started looking into mock drafty things after they got knocked out).
Is the league not very high on Kaapo? I thought he looked real solid up here in his brief stint and he just won AHL Goalie of the Year.
From what I've read, most scouts don't project Kaapo as a true #1 goalie. People have been wrong before, hopefully they are here.

Goaltending is so bizarre and weird in the NHL. I don't think you use a first round pick on a goalie, especially when I don't see any goalies linked to other teams. Maybe if we get Pittsburgh's first round, then think about, but even then I wish they wouldn't. At #9 we can hopefully find a forward, or defenseman that will be playing in the NHL in 1-2 years.

Not that I think we shouldn't be upgrading the goaltending. Clearly, we need to. I just don't think drafting a goalie (seem to be bigger guesses than players) who is 3 years, at best, away isn't the best idea. But maybe that depends on where Guerin thinks the team is too. Are we 3-4 years away from competing?

Can we possibly poach one of Columbus' goalies? (doubtful right now).


Most interesting (to me):
Robin Lehner is going to want to get paid, and is 28. While an intriguing option, can the Wild A) afford him and still upgrade other positions? B) Compete in the next couple of seasons with that big contract?

Do we take a chance on former Wild goalie Anton Khudobin? Has had a few solid seasons in a time-share in Dallas. Could be in a timeshare here with Kaapo? Might be able to be a starter if needed. Would probably have a reasonable cap hit. I don't know that he would be an Elite goalie, but should certainly be an upgrade. He is 34, so I wouldn't want a long term deal, but might be a nice bridge option to see if Kaapo can be a starter or not.

Thomas Greiss has had some good seasons in New York. Struggled in 17-18, but other than that been relatively solid in a time share. He is also 34, and could be another "bridge goalie" option.

Caution (for me):
Cam Talbot; 33 coming off a strong season in Calgary. Bounced around a lot, was fantastic for Edmonton in 16-17 both regular season and playoffs. Maybe could be another Dubnyk where we catch lightning in a bottle.
Matt Murray; 26 and coming off a tough season. I am afraid of his likely cap hit and contract length. Looks to have lost the starting job in Pittsburgh...
Holtby; 30 put up Dubnyk numbers last season (.897 sv% and 3.11 GAA), will he sign a reasonable deal and regain form? Does he look for one final big payday on a long term contract since he is 30. Is he on the tail end of his career and continues a downward trend?
Markstorm, 30. To me, he didn't look great in the recent playoff run, but looked pretty good regular season. Vancouver likely in the mix to re-sign him as well.

No way:
Corey Crawford is 35 and has a colorful injury history, no thanks.
Craig Anderson is 39, I hope he can enjoy retirement and some time with his wife.
Jimmy Howard was the only goalie worse than Dubnyk last season, and is 36, no thanks.
Mike Smith, 38, on his way out.

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times
Age: 41
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Vegoe » Tue Aug 11 9:45 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Aug 10 10:47 pm
Pronman had the Wild taking the Russian goalie Askarov at 9 in his mock. Says he's currently signed through 2022 with SKA in the KHL. First time I'd seen that name linked to the Wild (granted I just started looking into mock drafty things after they got knocked out).
Is the league not very high on Kaapo? I thought he looked real solid up here in his brief stint and he just won AHL Goalie of the Year.
It was interesting that Pronman ranked Robson ahead of Kaapo as a 'Legit/chance bubble' player who has pro attributes that should translate right away. Whereas Kaapo was more of a 'Has a chance' player who 'has a unique stance especially as a 6-foot-2 goalie with a significant deep crouch while keeping his hands high' and 'quickness isn’t all that amazing.' Then he had Hunter Jones as the same 'Has a chance' tier... 'good toolkit, as he has a 6-foot-4 frame and good athleticism' and 'knew several NHL scouts who were big believers in him but he didn’t impress me much.'

Wheeler didn't put either in his overall top 10 NHL goalie prospects...

As FightClub30 was just suggesting, I don't know if any of the UFA prospects are worth pursuing. Markstrom or Lehner probably hurt their cap future with Fiala, Brodin, Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek contract decisions looming.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/wild

I think that the best way to manage the cap is to cycle through your prospects and see if you have one that can play. Can't be too much worse than what they've put out there the last two years and seems like they have three or four potential players in the system as options.

https://www.thecapspace.com/articles-li ... -structure

Seems like the right time to play those prospects too, all the right age to see if one of them can be an NHL starter.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Aug 14 10:33 am

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Aug 11 9:45 am
It was interesting that Pronman ranked Robson ahead of Kaapo as a 'Legit/chance bubble' player who has pro attributes that should translate right away. Whereas Kaapo was more of a 'Has a chance' player who 'has a unique stance especially as a 6-foot-2 goalie with a significant deep crouch while keeping his hands high' and 'quickness isn’t all that amazing.' Then he had Hunter Jones as the same 'Has a chance' tier... 'good toolkit, as he has a 6-foot-4 frame and good athleticism' and 'knew several NHL scouts who were big believers in him but he didn’t impress me much.'

Wheeler didn't put either in his overall top 10 NHL goalie prospects...

As FightClub30 was just suggesting, I don't know if any of the UFA prospects are worth pursuing. Markstrom or Lehner probably hurt their cap future with Fiala, Brodin, Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek contract decisions looming.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/wild

I think that the best way to manage the cap is to cycle through your prospects and see if you have one that can play. Can't be too much worse than what they've put out there the last two years and seems like they have three or four potential players in the system as options.

https://www.thecapspace.com/articles-li ... -structure

Seems like the right time to play those prospects too, all the right age to see if one of them can be an NHL starter.
That is why I think the "Bridge" goalie might be best. Get a guy who wouldn't take offense to being in a Time share with Kappo to "ease me in" to a starting role, and see if he is worth it. But the bridge goalie also being decent enough that it wouldn't be a disaster if Kappo flops and you need him to start full time. That being said, I don't know if it would matter or not? Hopefully the team is good enough that it does, but there is a chance that it won't.

That is an interesting article, thanks for sharing, I had to give pause when it talked about Gibson needing an extension, then I noticed it was a a slightly older article, but all the information still very much applies.

I thought we would be fine with Dubnyk for longer than we were. In 2016-17 I thought he was fine and did enough to give us a chance in the playoffs. We just forgot how to score and Jake Allen looked like the 2nd coming of Dominic Hasek for a round and it was all over pretty quick. I'd take what he did that regular season and playoffs every year if given the choice. But he started to taper off, I thought it was maybe one bad year and he'd bounce back, clearly not and he was abysmal last season.

But it seems like just about any goalie can tank (Carey Price had a horrendous season recently) and destroy your season regardless of the price you pay (Bobrovsky, not looking great in year 1 of mega-contract in FLA). And any goalie can catch fire for a short period of time - look at Hamburglar in the playoffs for Ottawa a few years ago. Came out of nowhere really, and ends up back in the AHL a short time later, even bounced around the Wild's system.

Let's see what we have in Kappo and Robson. If they don't, Hunter Jones is next but is 2-3 years away yet. I have no problem using a 3rd round pick or later, heck maybe even a 2nd if a bigger name is there, on a goalie. Just don't use the first round on someone who is a bigger what-if than Kappo or potentially Robson right now, especially when we have other issues to address.

I am okay with spending $5-$6M on average NHL goaltending if that means having money available to upgrade other positions. I just look at what FLA and MTL are paying for goalies (and not always getting the quality needed) and think how it is going to hamper them to build a team to round that out. Especially now with a flat cap next season, and who knows for how much longer.

We have to ride out the contracts of Parise and Zuccarello for a little bit yet. (I know Parise might LTIR, but probably not for another 2 more seasons at least) So do we have enough to compete? Or does Guerin view this as a rebuild? In that case, take the goalie at #1, give him 3 years to develop, and then as we do worse, use the higher picks on more impact forwards and/or D who are closer to NHL ready than goalies typically are viewed.

My 2 cents, I know others will likely disagree, which is perfectly fine. Good to have varying viewpoints on here.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10752
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Aug 14 11:04 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Aug 14 10:33 am
Vegoe wrote:
Tue Aug 11 9:45 am
It was interesting that Pronman ranked Robson ahead of Kaapo as a 'Legit/chance bubble' player who has pro attributes that should translate right away. Whereas Kaapo was more of a 'Has a chance' player who 'has a unique stance especially as a 6-foot-2 goalie with a significant deep crouch while keeping his hands high' and 'quickness isn’t all that amazing.' Then he had Hunter Jones as the same 'Has a chance' tier... 'good toolkit, as he has a 6-foot-4 frame and good athleticism' and 'knew several NHL scouts who were big believers in him but he didn’t impress me much.'

Wheeler didn't put either in his overall top 10 NHL goalie prospects...

As FightClub30 was just suggesting, I don't know if any of the UFA prospects are worth pursuing. Markstrom or Lehner probably hurt their cap future with Fiala, Brodin, Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek contract decisions looming.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/wild

I think that the best way to manage the cap is to cycle through your prospects and see if you have one that can play. Can't be too much worse than what they've put out there the last two years and seems like they have three or four potential players in the system as options.

https://www.thecapspace.com/articles-li ... -structure

Seems like the right time to play those prospects too, all the right age to see if one of them can be an NHL starter.
That is why I think the "Bridge" goalie might be best. Get a guy who wouldn't take offense to being in a Time share with Kappo to "ease me in" to a starting role, and see if he is worth it. But the bridge goalie also being decent enough that it wouldn't be a disaster if Kappo flops and you need him to start full time. That being said, I don't know if it would matter or not? Hopefully the team is good enough that it does, but there is a chance that it won't.

That is an interesting article, thanks for sharing, I had to give pause when it talked about Gibson needing an extension, then I noticed it was a a slightly older article, but all the information still very much applies.

I thought we would be fine with Dubnyk for longer than we were. In 2016-17 I thought he was fine and did enough to give us a chance in the playoffs. We just forgot how to score and Jake Allen looked like the 2nd coming of Dominic Hasek for a round and it was all over pretty quick. I'd take what he did that regular season and playoffs every year if given the choice. But he started to taper off, I thought it was maybe one bad year and he'd bounce back, clearly not and he was abysmal last season.

But it seems like just about any goalie can tank (Carey Price had a horrendous season recently) and destroy your season regardless of the price you pay (Bobrovsky, not looking great in year 1 of mega-contract in FLA). And any goalie can catch fire for a short period of time - look at Hamburglar in the playoffs for Ottawa a few years ago. Came out of nowhere really, and ends up back in the AHL a short time later, even bounced around the Wild's system.

Let's see what we have in Kappo and Robson. If they don't, Hunter Jones is next but is 2-3 years away yet. I have no problem using a 3rd round pick or later, heck maybe even a 2nd if a bigger name is there, on a goalie. Just don't use the first round on someone who is a bigger what-if than Kappo or potentially Robson right now, especially when we have other issues to address.

I am okay with spending $5-$6M on average NHL goaltending if that means having money available to upgrade other positions. I just look at what FLA and MTL are paying for goalies (and not always getting the quality needed) and think how it is going to hamper them to build a team to round that out. Especially now with a flat cap next season, and who knows for how much longer.

We have to ride out the contracts of Parise and Zuccarello for a little bit yet. (I know Parise might LTIR, but probably not for another 2 more seasons at least) So do we have enough to compete? Or does Guerin view this as a rebuild? In that case, take the goalie at #1, give him 3 years to develop, and then as we do worse, use the higher picks on more impact forwards and/or D who are closer to NHL ready than goalies typically are viewed.

My 2 cents, I know others will likely disagree, which is perfectly fine. Good to have varying viewpoints on here.
This is more like $1.25.

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times
Age: 27

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Aug 14 11:13 am

Would be nice if they could move Rask. His salary is an anchor for his production. I’m also interested to see where Taylor Hall goes, no way he comes here right?
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times
Age: 27

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by YoungEagle » Fri Aug 14 11:16 am

Dumba In the final 3 for the King Clancy Award. I think that’s the humanitarian one.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10332
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 37

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by team22tank » Sat Aug 15 9:08 am

Gopher99 wrote:
Mon Aug 10 7:40 pm
Could definitely see us going the defenseman route in the draft
What makes you think that?

If all things are equal I see them adding another potential C into the pipeline.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3523
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by HockeyBum » Thu Sep 10 10:45 am

Apparently Brennan Menell (one of the Wild's top D prospects) signed a 1 year contract with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL a few weeks ago. Not sure if it's because of the uncertainty of the AHL season this year? Or Money? Whatever the case, he has 5 points in 3 KHL games so far.

He's had 2 great seasons for Iowa in the AHL. Made the All-Star team, and I believe finished 2nd in the league in scoring by a defenseman last year. Was called up to the Wild for 5 games last December when Spurgeon was injured.

What I don't understand is apparently he's still under team control. If that's the case, how can you sign with a KHL team to begin with? :confused2:

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Thu Sep 10 12:21 pm

He's under team control as far as if he wants to play in the NHL, the Wild still hold his rights. The Wild can't keep him from signing in other leagues

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times
Age: 54

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Sep 11 6:46 pm

I pray that he can stay healthy


User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29008
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Beauner » Fri Sep 11 6:48 pm



If he can stay healthy, a conditional 7th rounder seems phenomenal.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5492
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Sep 11 6:53 pm

That’s a huge if. He gets banged up all the time. The Pens had huge hopes for him to be the 3rd line center. He wasn’t very good there and on top of that couldn’t stay in the lineup. It’s a pure salary dump by the Pens.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times
Age: 54

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Sep 11 6:57 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Sep 11 6:53 pm
That’s a huge if. He gets banged up all the time. The Pens had huge hopes for him to be the 3rd line center. He wasn’t very good there and on top of that couldn’t stay in the lineup. It’s a pure salary dump by the Pens.
Pitt will retain 50% of his salary, so I think it is worth the risk.

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14315
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Sep 12 1:54 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Sep 11 6:53 pm
That’s a huge if. He gets banged up all the time. The Pens had huge hopes for him to be the 3rd line center. He wasn’t very good there and on top of that couldn’t stay in the lineup. It’s a pure salary dump by the Pens.
He wasn’t bad when he actually played, he just wasn’t healthy all that often. Advanced stats were alright (I’ll admit it didn’t always look pretty), I just wish we would’ve tried him on the PP with his shot and with Kessel’s right handed shot no longer an option.

Why we gave him up AND retained half his salary is more the question. He was a serviceable player and it’s not like there are any cheaper options to fill that slot and now we just have dead space for no reason. A lot of what Rutherford has done recently doesn’t make a ton of sense and he has a pretty lengthy history of bad moves so I guess I’m not shocked 🤦‍♂️
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
Butters Stotch
Rookie
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:20 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Butters Stotch » Sat Sep 12 6:34 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Sep 12 1:54 am
Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Sep 11 6:53 pm
That’s a huge if. He gets banged up all the time. The Pens had huge hopes for him to be the 3rd line center. He wasn’t very good there and on top of that couldn’t stay in the lineup. It’s a pure salary dump by the Pens.
He wasn’t bad when he actually played, he just wasn’t healthy all that often. Advanced stats were alright (I’ll admit it didn’t always look pretty), I just wish we would’ve tried him on the PP with his shot and with Kessel’s right handed shot no longer an option.

Why we gave him up AND retained half his salary is more the question. He was a serviceable player and it’s not like there are any cheaper options to fill that slot and now we just have dead space for no reason. A lot of what Rutherford has done recently doesn’t make a ton of sense and he has a pretty lengthy history of bad moves so I guess I’m not shocked 🤦‍♂️
You sound as if your a Penguins fan.

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4947
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by gopher6 » Sat Sep 12 7:27 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Sep 11 6:57 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Sep 11 6:53 pm
That’s a huge if. He gets banged up all the time. The Pens had huge hopes for him to be the 3rd line center. He wasn’t very good there and on top of that couldn’t stay in the lineup. It’s a pure salary dump by the Pens.
Pitt will retain 50% of his salary, so I think it is worth the risk.
He has one year left on the contract then he is a unrestricted free agent

User avatar
Goldy77
Veteran
Posts: 1063
Joined: Wed Feb 01 10:06 am
Location: New Prague, MN
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 23 times
Age: 33

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Goldy77 » Sat Sep 12 8:47 am

Butters Stotch wrote:
Sat Sep 12 6:34 am
trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Sep 12 1:54 am
Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Sep 11 6:53 pm
That’s a huge if. He gets banged up all the time. The Pens had huge hopes for him to be the 3rd line center. He wasn’t very good there and on top of that couldn’t stay in the lineup. It’s a pure salary dump by the Pens.
He wasn’t bad when he actually played, he just wasn’t healthy all that often. Advanced stats were alright (I’ll admit it didn’t always look pretty), I just wish we would’ve tried him on the PP with his shot and with Kessel’s right handed shot no longer an option.

Why we gave him up AND retained half his salary is more the question. He was a serviceable player and it’s not like there are any cheaper options to fill that slot and now we just have dead space for no reason. A lot of what Rutherford has done recently doesn’t make a ton of sense and he has a pretty lengthy history of bad moves so I guess I’m not shocked 🤦‍♂️
You sound as if your a Penguins fan.
Or he’s part of the team? A lot of WE :biggrin2:

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14315
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Sep 12 11:57 am

Most people talk that way when referring to the team they support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 12 5:53 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Sep 12 11:57 am
Most people talk that way when referring to the team they support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I never use "we" and when did you live in Pittsburgh? :wink:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14315
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Sep 12 6:45 pm

If WI had a team I’m sure I’d be cheering for them. I appreciate your dedication to the Wild, it’s not for everyone :lol:
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 12 7:49 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Sep 12 6:45 pm
If WI had a team I’m sure I’d be cheering for them. I appreciate your dedication to the Wild, it’s not for everyone :lol:
You somehow think that's a slam. How cute. I'm not actually a big Wild fan - my passion for the NHL left with the North Stars and I didn't become a front-runner when they left.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14315
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 27 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by trixR4kids » Sat Sep 12 8:43 pm

I’m not slamming anyone, just as an outsider I gotta imagine it’s frustrating to be a fan of this franchise. And I started cheering for the penguins when Chicago and Detroit were the front runners so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Fandom is mostly arbitrary if you don’t cheer for a local team but feel free to go on moralizing who people should cheer for, it’s cute 😉
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 12 9:48 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Sep 12 8:43 pm
I’m not slamming anyone, just as an outsider I gotta imagine it’s frustrating to be a fan of this franchise. And I started cheering for the penguins when Chicago and Detroit were the front runners so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Fandom is mostly arbitrary if you don’t cheer for a local team but feel free to go on moralizing who people should cheer for, it’s cute 😉
Yes I'm sure and yes I will. :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7400
Joined: Wed Oct 26 4:21 pm
Location: The crease
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Thirty-Four » Sat Sep 12 9:50 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sat Sep 12 8:43 pm
I’m not slamming anyone, just as an outsider I gotta imagine it’s frustrating to be a fan of this franchise. And I started cheering for the penguins when Chicago and Detroit were the front runners so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Fandom is mostly arbitrary if you don’t cheer for a local team but feel free to go on moralizing who people should cheer for, it’s cute 😉
Yes, and try stomaching when your out of town team wins a Cup and the bitter Wild fans accuse you of front running when you recall cheering for your bottom dwelling team to be saved by Erik Johnson... 🤮

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times
Age: 41
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Vegoe » Mon Sep 14 5:02 pm

https://theathletic.com/2063545/2020/09 ... an-miller/

I'd really like to see the Wild find a way to bail Vegas out of cap trouble so the Golden Knights could sign Pietrangelo and the Wild get an asset. I mean... Wild get Fleury, a pick or prospect and Vegas can sign a top pair defender.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Sep 15 8:08 am

Wild desperately need a competitive, competent goalie & Trading for Fluery would accomplish this. Dubbs at his peak was nothing more than a serviceable regular season goalie, who let in bad goals during the playoffs.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Sep 15 3:02 pm

Wild extended Brodin to a 7-year for $42M.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Sep 15 3:24 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 15 3:02 pm
Wild extended Brodin to a 7-year for $42M.
With NMC, that kicks in immediately, for first 4 years. I imagine this just about ensures Dumba is traded...

Unless they protect 8 skaters... Which would be I imagine;

Suter (NMC)
Spurgeon (NMC)
Brodin (NMC)
Parise (NMC)
Zuccarello (NMC)
Fiala
Dumba

Who else? Who else is "off limits?" I can't really find anyone on the roster currently. (Kaprizov is exempt)

So hopefully the #1C they find this offseason would be added... Everyone else very expendable.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times
Age: 54

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Sep 16 4:45 pm


User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Sep 16 5:08 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 16 4:45 pm
:conf2: I must be missing something? This trade makes zero sense

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times
Age: 27

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by YoungEagle » Wed Sep 16 5:42 pm

Wonder if he has something else in the works?
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

glenhogan21
Veteran
Posts: 1209
Joined: Fri Oct 20 8:19 pm
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by glenhogan21 » Wed Sep 16 6:09 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Mon Sep 14 5:02 pm
https://theathletic.com/2063545/2020/09 ... an-miller/

I'd really like to see the Wild find a way to bail Vegas out of cap trouble so the Golden Knights could sign Pietrangelo and the Wild get an asset. I mean... Wild get Fleury, a pick or prospect and Vegas can sign a top pair defender.
I agree!! Fleury would be solid performer and has been really good for team culture/leadership. Vegas has some intriguing prospects that would make it a great move

User avatar
DreamLoss
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 08 4:53 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by DreamLoss » Wed Sep 16 6:15 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Sep 16 5:08 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 16 4:45 pm
:conf2: I must be missing something? This trade makes zero sense
Yep, I'm at a complete loss for this one. There has to be something else lined up for this to make sense.

User avatar
DreamLoss
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 08 4:53 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by DreamLoss » Wed Sep 16 6:33 pm

LOL we've gone from 1 top-6 C to 0.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 16 6:55 pm

DreamLoss wrote:
Wed Sep 16 6:33 pm
LOL we've gone from 1 top-6 C to 0.
Are you sure you’re not J22 reincarnatied?

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 16 6:58 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 16 4:45 pm
I actually like this trade. Johansson is a good player & 6 years younger than Stall. And Staal is no longer a top 2 Center at this point of his career. I llike the moves Billy G is making.
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Wed Sep 16 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DreamLoss
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 08 4:53 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by DreamLoss » Wed Sep 16 7:05 pm


I mean, yes, that's 100% true Mr. Guerin, but this wasn't the move.

User avatar
DreamLoss
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 08 4:53 pm
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times
Age: 32

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by DreamLoss » Wed Sep 16 7:12 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 16 6:55 pm
DreamLoss wrote:
Wed Sep 16 6:33 pm
LOL we've gone from 1 top-6 C to 0.
Are you sure you’re not J22 reincarnatied?
I can assure you that I have no affiliation to Stillwater hockey.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Sep 16 8:39 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 16 6:58 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 16 4:45 pm
I actually like this trade. Johansson is a good player & 6 years younger than Stall. And Staal is no longer a top 2 Center at this point of his career. I llike the moves Billy G is making.
Good player? Yeah on my rec league team. What's your definition of a Good NHL player? I don't see it...

[media]dom luszczyszyn (@domluszczyszyn) Tweeted:
A *very* strong move for Buffalo.
Eric Staal is older, yes, but he is also $1.25M cheaper and well, a lot better than Marcus Johansson. He's still a top six calibre player that can drive play well, while Johansson has declined significantly over the past few seasons. https://t.co/ojaIQDFRJQ [/media]

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 16 8:44 pm

Sorry Dom...Staal is no longer a top 6 player on any top end NHL team & will be 36 years old in a month. He had a good run here, we got our money’s worth out of him, but like Mikko, time has past him by, he’s a SLOW skater, nuff said.

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Sep 16 8:46 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 16 8:44 pm
Staal is no longer a top 6 player on any top end NHL team & will be 36 years old in a month. He had a good run here, we got our money’s worth out of him, but like Mikko, time has past him by, he’s a SLOW skater, nuff said.
But this is not an improvement... AND costs more money. Even if he is doing something else, this only hurts us. It's a move for the sake of making a move and a bad one at that.br

And most teams he wouldn't be top 6, but our centers aren't exactly good let alone elite.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 16 8:48 pm

Agree to disagree, I think Johansson still has something left in the tank. And don’t get all bent out of shape when Billy G trades Dumba, that’s gonna happen after signing Brodin long term. Johansson likely will be a wing on the Wild, probably on the 3rd line.

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10332
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 37

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by team22tank » Wed Sep 16 9:56 pm

Staal was in his final year and wasn't going to be resigned after this year and he alone won't be the difference between the Wild doing something big or not. Even Staal fans have to admit his skating is really slowing down.

Guys like Sturm and Erickson Ek are part of this decision as well. They are going to be given bigger roles.

Johansson no question is a better skater and faster than Staal.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16857
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Sep 17 12:37 am

The problem is the Wild don't have a roster right now that can take advantage of Johansson's skill set. Sure more moves are on the way but as of right now this move is very underwhelming.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
team22tank
Veteran
Posts: 10332
Joined: Tue Jun 19 6:08 pm
Location: AV
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 37

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by team22tank » Thu Sep 17 9:09 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Sep 17 12:37 am
The problem is the Wild don't have a roster right now that can take advantage of Johansson's skill set. Sure more moves are on the way but as of right now this move is very underwhelming.
Whether Johansson’s plays Wing or Center, putting more speed around Fiala and Kaprizov is not a bad thing. This is their team now, certainly offensively.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dumba. Sounds like the Canucks and Jets could be very interested.

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times
Age: 41
Contact:

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Vegoe » Thu Sep 17 10:42 am

I only think the Wild moves Dumba if they can get a top six center... having one of the best top four D in the NHL is what makes them good. Based on what's happening, be ready to see Parise move back east. Looks like the buyout window is six days after the cup gets awarded and then the NHL draft Oct. 9/10. Probably a busy first week of October ahead.

Kaprizov-Johansson-Fiala
Zuccarello-Bjugstad-Dontato
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman
Rask

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Hunt
Belpedio

Kahkonen
Stalock

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times
Age: 27

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Sep 17 10:48 am

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Sep 17 10:42 am
I only think the Wild moves Dumba if they can get a top six center... having one of the best top four D in the NHL is what makes them good. Based on what's happening, be ready to see Parise move back east. Looks like the buyout window is six days after the cup gets awarded and then the NHL draft Oct. 9/10. Probably a busy first week of October ahead.

Kaprizov-Johansson-Fiala
Zuccarello-Bjugstad-Dontato
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman
Rask

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Hunt
Belpedio

Kahkonen
Stalock
With the money they need next offseason potentially with some of the future of the club needing contracts. I’d be shocked if they buyout any of their players. Trades seem more likely. Russo has said as much too.

The Winnipeg/Laine situation is very interesting. That roster has been shuffled quite a bit in the last year and change.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Sep 17 11:01 am

Good to hear they'll finally get (at least some of) the big contract for the Whioux off the books. And adding a Gopher fan favorite is nice, too.

Laine would be great, but look at that center lineup. That's brutal. The Dumba trade HAS to be for a center, as mentioned.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5926
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Sep 17 11:26 am

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Sep 17 10:42 am
I only think the Wild moves Dumba if they can get a top six center... having one of the best top four D in the NHL is what makes them good. Based on what's happening, be ready to see Parise move back east. Looks like the buyout window is six days after the cup gets awarded and then the NHL draft Oct. 9/10. Probably a busy first week of October ahead.

Kaprizov-Johansson-Fiala
Zuccarello-Bjugstad-Dontato
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman
Rask

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Hunt
Belpedio

Kahkonen
Stalock
If the Wild can trade for a top 2 line C that Billy G likes, Dumba is GONE, although to get a really good one, they’ll probably have to throw in someone like Greenwsy too. I’m starting to fear Greenwsy is afflicted with Charlie Coyle disease (not how he’s played for the Brukns, but how he played as a member of the Wild) The symptoms are “built like Tarzan plays like Jane”

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Thu Sep 17 11:51 am

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Sep 17 10:42 am
I only think the Wild moves Dumba if they can get a top six center... having one of the best top four D in the NHL is what makes them good. Based on what's happening, be ready to see Parise move back east. Looks like the buyout window is six days after the cup gets awarded and then the NHL draft Oct. 9/10. Probably a busy first week of October ahead.

Kaprizov-Johansson-Fiala
Zuccarello-Bjugstad-Dontato
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman
Rask

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Hunt
Belpedio

Kahkonen
Stalock
If the plan is to go into the season with Johansson and Bjugstad as the top 2 centers? Then Leipold should do himself a huge favor and fire Guerin now before he makes it worse.

I think the Staal trade wasn't much more than taking the best asset he could get. Clearing out the "old guard" is the real objective. Hopefully Parise follows close behind.

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5188
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 63 times
Age: 45

Re: 2019-2020 Wild Season

Post by J22 » Thu Sep 17 11:52 am

YoungEagle wrote:
Thu Sep 17 10:48 am
Vegoe wrote:
Thu Sep 17 10:42 am
I only think the Wild moves Dumba if they can get a top six center... having one of the best top four D in the NHL is what makes them good. Based on what's happening, be ready to see Parise move back east. Looks like the buyout window is six days after the cup gets awarded and then the NHL draft Oct. 9/10. Probably a busy first week of October ahead.

Kaprizov-Johansson-Fiala
Zuccarello-Bjugstad-Dontato
Greenway-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman
Rask

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Soucy-Hunt
Belpedio

Kahkonen
Stalock
With the money they need next offseason potentially with some of the future of the club needing contracts. I’d be shocked if they buyout any of their players. Trades seem more likely. Russo has said as much too.

The Winnipeg/Laine situation is very interesting. That roster has been shuffled quite a bit in the last year and change.
I will be very surprised if Dubnyk isn't bought out

Locked