High School Hockey 2019-2020

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Post Reply
User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 4792
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times
Age: 37

High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue May 07 3:08 pm

Looks like STA has finally made a decision:


User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13023
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Bonin21 » Tue May 07 3:09 pm

Good recruiter natural fit for them
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2691
Joined: Sun May 13 2:38 pm
Location: My Cabin
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 4 times
Age: 26

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by YoungEagle » Tue May 07 3:22 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue May 07 3:09 pm
Good recruiter natural fit for them
Yeah our Lakeville pipeline hopefully expands as a result of this.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4612
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by gopher6 » Tue Aug 13 5:17 pm

Rob Mcclanahan is Blake's new head coach
http://www.startribune.com/mcclanahan-of-miracle-on-ice-fame-takes-blake-boys-hockey-job/540406062/

User avatar
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7201
Joined: Fri Jan 09 8:15 am
Location: Maplewood
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Iceburg » Tue Aug 13 5:21 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Tue Aug 13 5:17 pm
Rob Mcclanahan is Blake's new head coach
http://www.startribune.com/mcclanahan-of-miracle-on-ice-fame-takes-blake-boys-hockey-job/540406062/
Rob's daughter played at Blake a couple of years back.
Image

Retired Thread Police

User avatar
Grovetown Scotty
Rookie
Posts: 393
Joined: Wed Feb 01 8:43 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Aug 19 3:38 pm


User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 28 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Vegoe » Thu Aug 29 10:40 am

I was checking out the high school board today for early departure info as the USHL/NAHL protected lists get finalized. Sounds like Luc Laylin STMA and Brett Oberle HM are maybe doing a before/after with the NAHL Magicians. Jake Boltman is starting the year with Lincoln. Jensen will be in Omaha.

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37303

https://reddeerrebels.com/article/rebel ... underbirds

Louden Hogg maybe leaving Edina for WHL? Big move for a 5' 10" keeper.

User avatar
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7201
Joined: Fri Jan 09 8:15 am
Location: Maplewood
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Iceburg » Thu Aug 29 12:09 pm

Image

Retired Thread Police

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 28 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Vegoe » Wed Sep 11 4:57 pm

Mack Motzko is going back to SCC -- no ill will towards anyone, but missed his buddies back home. Beau Motzko will stick with Minnetonka.


User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 11 5:30 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 11 4:57 pm
Mack Motzko is going back to SCC -- no ill will towards anyone, but missed his buddies back home. Beau Motzko will stick with Minnetonka.

How does that work (legally following the MSHSL transfer rules)? Appears no family move outside of Tonka SD if Beau is sticking with Tonka. Talk about typical hypocrisy on the part of the MSHSL ☝️Why even bother to have rules against transfers...if an exception was granted (in the case of the son of a prominent D1 coach)? It doesn’t matter one bit to me who he plays for. But if proper protocol isn’t followed in this particular case...then why should the son of Joe Blow need to sit out for not following the rules protocol (to the letter and/or the spirit of the MSHSL transfer rules) ?

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 74 times
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Sep 11 6:54 pm

They got around some rules for sure. But wish him the best.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Sep 11 7:52 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 11 5:30 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 11 4:57 pm
Mack Motzko is going back to SCC -- no ill will towards anyone, but missed his buddies back home. Beau Motzko will stick with Minnetonka.

How does that work (legally following the MSHSL transfer rules)? Appears no family move outside of Tonka SD if Beau is sticking with Tonka. Talk about typical hypocrisy on the part of the MSHSL ☝️Why even bother to have rules against transfers...if an exception was granted (in the case of the son of a prominent D1 coach)? It doesn’t matter one bit to me who he plays for. But if proper protocol isn’t followed in this particular case...then why should the son of Joe Blow need to sit out for not following the rules protocol (to the letter and/or the spirit of the MSHSL transfer rules) ?
I believe that if you move, you are eligible at the school district attendance area where your new house would be in, OR in any private school in the state.

So if you move to the house next door, you are only still eligible at the same public school you were at, but you could go to any private school in the state.

Not saying that is the reason, but it is possible.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 11 9:25 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Wed Sep 11 7:52 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 11 5:30 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 11 4:57 pm
Mack Motzko is going back to SCC -- no ill will towards anyone, but missed his buddies back home. Beau Motzko will stick with Minnetonka.

How does that work (legally following the MSHSL transfer rules)? Appears no family move outside of Tonka SD if Beau is sticking with Tonka. Talk about typical hypocrisy on the part of the MSHSL ☝️Why even bother to have rules against transfers...if an exception was granted (in the case of the son of a prominent D1 coach)? It doesn’t matter one bit to me who he plays for. But if proper protocol isn’t followed in this particular case...then why should the son of Joe Blow need to sit out for not following the rules protocol (to the letter and/or the spirit of the MSHSL transfer rules) ?
I believe that if you move, you are eligible at the school district attendance area where your new house would be in, OR in any private school in the state.

So if you move to the house next door, you are only still eligible at the same public school you were at, but you could go to any private school in the state.

Not saying that is the reason, but it is possible.
INCORRECT ski you ma guy. . If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:
1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the first time;
2. Your entire family moves to a new residence in a different attendance area;
3. Your residence is changed pursuant to a court order;
4. Your biological or adoptive parents do not reside together and you move from one parent to another (this option may be used just one time after you enroll in 9th grade); or
5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or country.
If none of the above apply, you will be ineligible (for one calendar year from the date of the transfer) from participating in interscholastic varsity athletic competition. You will, however, be eligible to participate in varsity tryouts, practices, scrimmages, jamborees, etc., and non-varsity (JV, B-squad, etc.) competitions. You will not be eligible for varsity competition.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 4993
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Sep 11 9:28 pm

As SS alluded too, they pulled strings and evidently the MSHSL gave it the ole rubber stamp (as a EXCEPTION to the rules) nuff said

User avatar
SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1932
Joined: Sun Feb 13 11:14 am
Location: New Prague
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 7 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Sep 11 10:29 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 11 9:25 pm
SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Wed Sep 11 7:52 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Wed Sep 11 5:30 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Wed Sep 11 4:57 pm
Mack Motzko is going back to SCC -- no ill will towards anyone, but missed his buddies back home. Beau Motzko will stick with Minnetonka.

How does that work (legally following the MSHSL transfer rules)? Appears no family move outside of Tonka SD if Beau is sticking with Tonka. Talk about typical hypocrisy on the part of the MSHSL ☝️Why even bother to have rules against transfers...if an exception was granted (in the case of the son of a prominent D1 coach)? It doesn’t matter one bit to me who he plays for. But if proper protocol isn’t followed in this particular case...then why should the son of Joe Blow need to sit out for not following the rules protocol (to the letter and/or the spirit of the MSHSL transfer rules) ?
I believe that if you move, you are eligible at the school district attendance area where your new house would be in, OR in any private school in the state.

So if you move to the house next door, you are only still eligible at the same public school you were at, but you could go to any private school in the state.

Not saying that is the reason, but it is possible.
INCORRECT ski you ma guy. . If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:
1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the first time;
2. Your entire family moves to a new residence in a different attendance area;
3. Your residence is changed pursuant to a court order;
4. Your biological or adoptive parents do not reside together and you move from one parent to another (this option may be used just one time after you enroll in 9th grade); or
5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or country.
If none of the above apply, you will be ineligible (for one calendar year from the date of the transfer) from participating in interscholastic varsity athletic competition. You will, however, be eligible to participate in varsity tryouts, practices, scrimmages, jamborees, etc., and non-varsity (JV, B-squad, etc.) competitions. You will not be eligible for varsity competition.
To be clear, moving to a different attendance area is what I am referring to. Private schools have a statewide attendance area, and thus any move qualifies for them.

Though it sounds like Mack will be living with friends in St. Cloud-- so not sure how that is getting done under the rule. I was just setting forth the loophole private schools can exploit.

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2375
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 28 times
Age: 40
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Vegoe » Mon Sep 30 10:46 am

Oh boy...



Hope the MSP Mag squad was allright after that one -- at least there wasn't much of a cele on goal No. 17.


User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13023
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Sep 30 12:13 pm

And they are one of the better elite league teams...
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 74 times
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 10 8:37 am

I can't get the video to play (possible location restriction) but the Seidl brothers were featured on The Today Show.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/tag/sawyer-seidl/
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9249
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 24 times
Age: 53

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 10 8:40 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10 8:37 am
I can't get the video to play (possible location restriction) but the Seidl brothers were featured on The Today Show.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/tag/sawyer-seidl/
Last edited by Zwak on Thu Oct 10 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9249
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 24 times
Age: 53

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 10 8:52 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10 8:37 am
I can't get the video to play (possible location restriction) but the Seidl brothers were featured on The Today Show.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/tag/sawyer-seidl/
This link works. What an amazing story! Makes me furious though that opposing players start dropping the "N word" during games.

https://www.today.com/video/how-kids-fr ... 0912069932
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 74 times
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 10 8:54 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 10 8:52 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10 8:37 am
I can't get the video to play (possible location restriction) but the Seidl brothers were featured on The Today Show.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/tag/sawyer-seidl/
This link works. What an amazing story! Makes me furious though that opposing players start dropping the "N word" during games.

https://www.today.com/video/how-kids-fr ... 0912069932
Yeah that's a bit disappointing to say the least. I was able to watch from my phone.
Currently under construction.

GopherPete
Veteran
Posts: 595
Joined: Mon Apr 09 10:47 am
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by GopherPete » Thu Oct 10 9:37 am

That's a very cool story. Just curious if anybody is familiar with these players. Any chance they play in college?

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6639
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 89 times
Age: 32

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Oct 10 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing! I hope these two continue to kick ass.

What a shame other human beings have to be so narrow minded.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9249
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 24 times
Age: 53

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Zwak » Thu Oct 10 10:24 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 10 9:53 am
Thanks for sharing! I hope these two continue to kick ass.

What a shame other human beings have to be so narrow minded.
Shame on the opposing players but also shame on those parents that cause Dad to not go to games. Not going to lie, if I'm a spectator for either team and hear racial taunts, they are going to hear from me and will stop.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
skiier32
Golden
Golden
Posts: 803
Joined: Fri Nov 19 11:31 am
Location: Sitting in Section 10
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Age: 45
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by skiier32 » Thu Oct 10 11:24 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 10 10:24 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 10 9:53 am
Thanks for sharing! I hope these two continue to kick ass.

What a shame other human beings have to be so narrow minded.
Shame on the opposing players but also shame on those parents that cause Dad to not go to games. Not going to lie, if I'm a spectator for either team and hear racial taunts, they are going to hear from me and will stop.
Last year I coached a Bantam C team. Had one player who was not exactly skinny. He was called all sorts of names throughout the year. He finally broke in one game and called a kid a f***ing F***t. He got ejected and suspended. I felt terrible about it and even talked to the refs about it. They said they never heard anything else. I backed the kid 100%. After the game I had a great chat with my player. His attitude totally changed and he used the name calling as motivation. Hope these kids do the same. Love seeing the game grow!!

User avatar
J22
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4894
Joined: Sat Dec 26 4:35 pm
Location: Stillwater
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 18 times
Age: 44

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by J22 » Thu Oct 10 12:32 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Thu Oct 10 9:37 am
That's a very cool story. Just curious if anybody is familiar with these players. Any chance they play in college?
Both are very good for their own age group. Simon is probably the better of the two. No idea how it translates to college hockey at their ages, but both are ridiculous athletes. Saywer was apparently the fastest kid on the varsity track team as an 8th grader.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 74 times
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 10 12:48 pm

skiier32 wrote:
Thu Oct 10 11:24 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 10 10:24 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 10 9:53 am
Thanks for sharing! I hope these two continue to kick ass.

What a shame other human beings have to be so narrow minded.
Shame on the opposing players but also shame on those parents that cause Dad to not go to games. Not going to lie, if I'm a spectator for either team and hear racial taunts, they are going to hear from me and will stop.
Last year I coached a Bantam C team. Had one player who was not exactly skinny. He was called all sorts of names throughout the year. He finally broke in one game and called a kid a f***ing F***t. He got ejected and suspended. I felt terrible about it and even talked to the refs about it. They said they never heard anything else. I backed the kid 100%. After the game I had a great chat with my player. His attitude totally changed and he used the name calling as motivation. Hope these kids do the same. Love seeing the game grow!!
I'm confused. You backed the kid for shouting, "f***ing F***t"? I understand the kid was taking s**t but not sure that's the right response.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13023
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Oct 10 1:31 pm

You can support and teach at the same time. He is backing the kid because the kid deserves some support given the circumstances and not the action itself it seems like.

Can let him know that chirp doesn't fly like it did ten years ago and he'll need to mix it up if it ever happens again.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6698
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 26 times
Age: 40

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Oct 10 3:29 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 10 10:24 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 10 9:53 am
Thanks for sharing! I hope these two continue to kick ass.

What a shame other human beings have to be so narrow minded.
Shame on the opposing players but also shame on those parents that cause Dad to not go to games. Not going to lie, if I'm a spectator for either team and hear racial taunts, they are going to hear from me and will stop.
He just said he doesn't sit in the stands anymore. My kid is a goalie and if I am not coaching, I don't watch from the stands either because you overhear all kinds of things, even when they know I am there. It doesn't surprise me that these kids hear this crap though, some of the things I overhear out of 11 year olds in the locker room makes me blush, but those kids learn things from somewhere. As a parent and/or coach, it is hard to shut that stuff down all the time beasue you just don't hear it all the time.

But good for these kids though, its a great story and I will follow along their journey a little closer now.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
skiier32
Golden
Golden
Posts: 803
Joined: Fri Nov 19 11:31 am
Location: Sitting in Section 10
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times
Age: 45
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by skiier32 » Thu Oct 10 4:21 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Oct 10 12:48 pm
skiier32 wrote:
Thu Oct 10 11:24 am
Zwak wrote:
Thu Oct 10 10:24 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Oct 10 9:53 am
Thanks for sharing! I hope these two continue to kick ass.

What a shame other human beings have to be so narrow minded.
Shame on the opposing players but also shame on those parents that cause Dad to not go to games. Not going to lie, if I'm a spectator for either team and hear racial taunts, they are going to hear from me and will stop.
Last year I coached a Bantam C team. Had one player who was not exactly skinny. He was called all sorts of names throughout the year. He finally broke in one game and called a kid a f***ing F***t. He got ejected and suspended. I felt terrible about it and even talked to the refs about it. They said they never heard anything else. I backed the kid 100%. After the game I had a great chat with my player. His attitude totally changed and he used the name calling as motivation. Hope these kids do the same. Love seeing the game grow!!
I'm confused. You backed the kid for shouting, "f***ing F***t"? I understand the kid was taking s**t but not sure that's the right response.
It was what he needed. Yes I backed him because he admitted it was wrong. The other kids got nothing, my player had been dealing with crap all year, and he was ejected from the game. The other kids kept playing. He needed someone in his corner. What he put up with on the ice and unfortunately from one of his parents is very unfortunate and hope no kid has to ever deal with it.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15423
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 74 times
Contact:

Re: High School Hockey 2019-2020

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 10 4:49 pm

Gotcha.
Currently under construction.

Post Reply