Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 5:51 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Sep 14 5:49 pm
F Da Sue wrote:
Sat Sep 14 5:47 pm
Most overhyped offensive line ever.
Well I mean... You mean locally or...
It's been hyped. They can't block. Thus overhyped. Having a hard time thinking there's been one more overhyped to be honest.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 5:53 pm

Fire Fleck.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 5:57 pm

Hey now all the Flecksters have an excuse...that was a bad call.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 5:59 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Sep 14 5:57 pm
Hey now all the Flecksters have an excuse...that was a bad call.
Win or lose there is no excuse for this crap.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 14 6:00 pm

We don't have more "talented" fans to show?
Sick of LOSERVILLE
107* big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

*Includes 19-20 NBA and 19-20 NHL seasons

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 6:00 pm

That's a catch.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 6:02 pm

What is the point of replay? Seriously.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Sep 14 6:02 pm

Tyler f*** Johnson!
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 6:05 pm

If Tanner Morgan learned how to look off a defender he could be great.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 6:07 pm

Tyler fing Johnson.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 6:07 pm

I'd rather win then lose.

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Sat Sep 14 6:08 pm

Yay, the non-conference winning streak stays alive!!

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 62 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Sep 14 6:09 pm

WE WANT BAMA
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 6:09 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Sep 14 6:07 pm
Yes...but the trends are not very good. The coaches were bailed out.

But...3-0 with a week off before Big Ten season. Just gotta hope they figure out what is going on.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 6:10 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Sat Sep 14 6:09 pm
WE WANT BAMA
I dunno...they might want revenge for the loss in the Music City Bowl ;) :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 14 6:11 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Sep 14 6:09 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Sep 14 6:07 pm
Yes...but the trends are not very good. The coaches were bailed out.

But...3-0 with a week off before Big Ten season. Just gotta hope they figure out what is going on.
Can't fix blocking unless they game plan around it. The line sucks.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 6:59 pm

They are definitely not playing well. I put part of that on the just weak ass play calling as well. They dont do anything to really scheme to help the line at all. I mean when you Jerry Kill it against 8-9 in the box it isnt going to work even if the line is great. (ask...Jerry Kill!) We run an option less option because Morgan refuses to hold onto the ball if the d-end crashes and we never seem to adjust the play at the line when it is obvious the D sold out. The offense kills every second getting set (which leads to us wasting TOs) and gain zilch out of it since everyone knows there is a 70% chance we are just handing it off and it is going between the tackles. I am not asking for much but we arent good enough to just run vanilla and know it will work. If you just switch the play once or twice at the line you will save yourself a ton of grief.

Here is the thing...there are things that are positive, and even points in the game where the tide could be turned and the Gophers could just take over. The problem is much like Jerry Kill did these guys dont seem (this season) to be trying to ever really do that. We go away from what works at just the oddest times. Our coaches paint themselves into corners every week and get bailed out.

They cant play call like this and win in the Big Ten over the long haul. They need to put their players in the best position to win and they just dont seem to get how to do that. They have a week off to adjust or the Big Ten season is going to kick them right in the teeth.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 7:28 pm

There is a thread on Gopherhole about this being a bad loss. Flashbacks to the freakout around here when the hockey team tied and trolls went crazy :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 7:44 pm

Max Duggan (former commit) is playing for TCU right now at Purdue. Neither team is setting the world on fire in the first half though TCU does seem to be able to run between the tackles against Purdue. He also looks less panicked than our QBs tend too...

First play against them in two weeks I tell Tanner to keep it and go off tackle. If he gets stuff fine but they need to establish he will do that.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 7:53 pm

This Purdue game is kind of intriguing to watch not having any dog in the fight. TCU punts on the edge of FG range and down it at the 4 but get called for illegal shift and have to punt again. They down it at the 3. Purdue gets nothing on first down, gets a 9 yard run on second down then call a quicker run and get stuffed. (I might dub this the Fleck) A short punt later and TCU has the ball at midfield.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 7:56 pm

There is 5 minutes left in the first half and TCUs RB has 100 yards already :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 14 7:57 pm

2nd worst win ever...lol

Hey, you play to win the game...

Probably should improve to face BIG teams or not good

Our receivers are the most talented part of the team...am I really talking about the gophs? 1st time in my lifetime you can say that...would have LOVED to anex throw to these guys

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by D2D » Sat Sep 14 8:06 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Sep 14 7:57 pm
2nd worst win ever...lol
Well that begs the question...
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Sat Sep 14 8:53 pm

Maybe it’s because I watched the game late and knew the score, but I don’t think it was as bad as the score or chatter indicates. I mean, yes, we need:
- Better line play, they need to be better at picking up the blitz and protecting the QB
- Tanner needs to more consistently “Feel” blitz and have a faster clock in his head
- Tanner also needs to realize he can throw it away outside the tackles vs. having to run or force the ball
- To not go for it on 4th and 1 from our own end (I don’t think that will happen in B1G play)

I’m making a bad assumption that if the Gophers could have tied or won with a field goal after the last GA timeout Fleck doesn’t take his last timeout to be able to get the kicker on the field.

One TD in this game was clearly not a TD, so it never should have been 21-20. I can’t believe that didn’t get reviewed. Then there were flukey things with the fumble recovery for a TD and especially the blocked kick for a TD. I don’t expect we see that in the same game again this season.

I like this team. They’re not bad, they just need to clean some things up. And I love the resilience. Any previous coach’s team going back to at least Mason if not also Wacker, the team is 0-3 instead of 3-0. The 4th quarter looked very much like the Gophers of old (anyone remember WI at the Dome under Mason with 10 second left???) with the crazy not likely scenarios. But they did what they had to do and overcame. Good teams find ways to win and the Gophers did that 3 times in a row.

MD and IL have already lost today (ok, IL is not earth shattering) and the B1G with the exception of some of the typical teams have had to battle in the non-conference, not just the Gophers. Get a bye to clean thing up and hopefully take advantage of a mediocre Purdue.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 8:53 pm

Man Purdue looks beatable. If Morgan doesnt make mistakes Bateman and Johnson should have space.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 8:59 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Sep 14 8:53 pm
Maybe it’s because I watched the game late and knew the score, but I don’t think it was as bad as the score or chatter indicates. I mean, yes, we need:
- Better line play, they need to be better at picking up the blitz and protecting the QB
- Tanner needs to more consistently “Feel” blitz and have a faster clock in his head
- Tanner also needs to realize he can throw it away outside the tackles vs. having to run or force the ball
- To not go for it on 4th and 1 from our own end (I don’t think that will happen in B1G play)

I’m making a bad assumption that if the Gophers could have tied or won with a field goal after the last GA timeout Fleck doesn’t take his last timeout to be able to get the kicker on the field.

One TD in this game was clearly not a TD, so it never should have been 21-20. I can’t believe that didn’t get reviewed. Then there were flukey things with the fumble recovery for a TD and especially the blocked kick for a TD. I don’t expect we see that in the same game again this season.

I like this team. They’re not bad, they just need to clean some things up. And I love the resilience. Any previous coach’s team going back to at least Mason if not also Wacker, the team is 0-3 instead of 3-0. The 4th quarter looked very much like the Gophers of old (anyone remember WI at the Dome under Mason with 10 second left???) with the crazy not likely scenarios. But they did what they had to do and overcame. Good teams find ways to win and the Gophers did that 3 times in a row.

MD and IL have already lost today (ok, IL is not earth shattering) and the B1G with the exception of some of the typical teams have had to battle in the non-conference, not just the Gophers. Get a bye to clean thing up and hopefully take advantage of a mediocre Purdue.
If it was just this game I would grant you that. This is the type of stuff we have seen in EVERY GAME so far this season. Against Fresno we committed stupid penalties, against SDSU we looked slow and couldnt block. In all 3 games the play calling has been suspect.

The team wins these games which is nice but if the West had any dominant team outside Wisconsin we would be in trouble. As it is the West just looks mediocre and the Big Ten as a whole looks way down so if we can fix the stupidity we can still do fine.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 14 9:07 pm

Half way to bowl practices!!!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 9:08 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Sep 14 9:20 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Sep 14 9:08 pm
It may be surprising to the football team as it is many of us, but because we have some skilled players. :mrgreen:
JWG
[This space for rent]

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 14 9:36 pm

I didn't watch the game but looking at the stats alone they should have won by 3 touchdowns. Obviously a blocked FG/TD and FMBL/TD doesn't help, but I'd have to assume they were outcoached for many stretches.
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 14 11:51 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Sep 14 9:36 pm
I didn't watch the game but looking at the stats alone they should have won by 3 touchdowns. Obviously a blocked FG/TD and FMBL/TD doesn't help, but I'd have to assume they were outcoached for many stretches.
I bet even Fleck would admit he was outcoached today (and for many stretches in all 3 games so far) if he is honest about it.

The thing is, if they just play to their strengths right now they will do just fine. Morgan isnt the best passer in history but he has good chemistry with the WRs and the line is pretty decent at pass blocking as opposed to run blocking so they had it right to pass early. (Morgan's pick was on him not the play call)

They need to tweak the offense. They need to pass right now to make things work so stop with the stupid off tackle dive play and use the space every defense gives you. If they are bringing the safeties down that means TJ and Bateman are single covered. You dont need to throw it 40 yards to make the offense go. Take what they give ya.

The team has talent...utilize it. Guarantee Purdue is going to run 8 man fronts (TCU ran all over them out of the spread)so if you cant get 4 yards on the ground get it by air. Time to stop with the one note offense and actually put the option back in RPO. If we are going to lose I would rather they do it because they tried not because they took the air out of the ball with a 1 score lead at home in the 3rd quarter and made a dumb mistake. (which is almost how this game played out) Trust Morgan to make the play cause we know Bateman and TJ will if given the chance. And for Gods sake throw it to the RB or TE every once in a while.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Sep 15 10:00 am

How many teams actually win after giving up a blocked kick TD, a fumble recovery TD, and a failed system replay TD? That's 3 TD's that were given up under adverse circumstances. Bad teams don't win games where that happens.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Sep 15 10:06 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Sep 15 10:00 am
How many teams actually win after giving up a blocked kick TD, a fumble recovery TD, and a failed system replay TD? That's 3 TD's that were given up under adverse circumstances. Bad teams don't win games where that happens.
Wow. I didn’t watch the game so to hear this is how the game went makes me feel better somehow.

That said, why are these weird things happening TO this Gophers team. Clean this $h!t up.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Sep 15 12:33 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Sep 15 10:00 am
Not many...but most of the time you dont have these issues all show up against a Sun Belt Conference team. Our line should be able to keep them out of the backfield.

I just think that is a bit of a red herring because it isnt like GSU is tOSU or something. Those plays are them beating us at the point of attack. If our special teams cant stop these guys from blocking a FG what makes you think they can stop Wisconsin or Iowa?

-Scooby 2/7/2017

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Sep 15 12:49 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Sep 14 6:05 pm
If Tanner Morgan learned how to look off a defender he could be great.
This is why I was concerned when ZA went down, theoretically you could be playing both right now and figuring out the best long term option going forward (not to say ZA is amazing either but it wouldn’t entirely be on Morgan’s shoulders).
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Sep 15 1:00 pm

ZA had the same issue. It isnt uncommon in guys with not a ton of playing time. He needs to correct it though because on every pass play you know exactly where he is going and while it was working (when he didnt throw it at the other team) the truth is there was plays where he forced it and there were easier throws that could have gotten yardage.

The troubling thing for me is that he has the most time in with the offense...he should be more comfortable with the plays yet he barely gets 3/4 of the plays off in time. Another way to hamper your Oline is to basically give the D line the snap count which we do every time we snap the ball with like 2 seconds on the clock. The "calling the plays at the line" BS isnt working and it costs us a TO every half.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Sep 15 1:18 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Sep 14 9:07 pm
Half way to bowl practices!!!
Those are always crucial to the next year! ;)
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Sep 15 1:28 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Sep 15 1:00 pm
ZA had the same issue. It isnt uncommon in guys with not a ton of playing time. He needs to correct it though because on every pass play you know exactly where he is going and while it was working (when he didnt throw it at the other team) the truth is there was plays where he forced it and there were easier throws that could have gotten yardage.
Yeah his decision making is awful and you can tell he’s always hyper focused on his first read.
The troubling thing for me is that he has the most time in with the offense...he should be more comfortable with the plays yet he barely gets 3/4 of the plays off in time. Another way to hamper your Oline is to basically give the D line the snap count which we do every time we snap the ball with like 2 seconds on the clock. The "calling the plays at the line" BS isnt working and it costs us a TO every half.
Yeah this is a good point, the offensive line can’t attack as well or have the element of surprise as far as timing when you just wait until the play clock runs down every single time. Mix it up, hurry up occasionally, etc.

The coaching staff has done an awful job (as you mention before the play calls blow) for three games straight and it’s a problem. Timeout usage has been awful too you’re right.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Sep 15 1:32 pm

Running the play clock down is poor offensive strategy. I agree.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Sep 15 2:39 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sun Sep 15 1:32 pm
Running the play clock down is poor offensive strategy. I agree.
It would be nice to know if this is by design or if it is a deficiency somewhere down the line. I mean part of the strategy is to get to the line and see what the D shows you and adjust so I get it. The problem is that adjustment takes for friggin ever. Is that because Tanner doesnt know the signals? Is it because Ciarrocca is in the booth? Something is taking longer than it should...

I mean TCU last night was playing Duggan, a freshmen, on various downs. They run a similar style where they no huddle and adjust at the line. They very rarely had this issue. He didnt always make the play, but the read was usually the right one and they snapped the ball with plenty of time most of the time.

If I had to guess, and it is totally guessing I have zero evidence, Tanner doesnt know the offense as well as we thought he would at this point. Maybe he gets the routes but they dont trust him to actually change the play based on the D or set up his protection. I think that is why on almost all of those plays that kill the clock you see us just run it. None of the 3 teams we played disguised their defense AT ALL especially in the second half. They werent sneaking up safeties or zone blitzing or anything...just line up 8-9 in the box and wait. It doesnt take much effort to see a safety in the box and hot route the play especially when our WRs are friggin good.

I think that is why TM is much better in the two minute drill type offense at the end. They just call the play and go with it.

I also think that if they called plays designed for other receivers he might get better with his progressions. Weber had the same issue because he only trusted Decker. Morgan obviously trusts TJ and Bateman. Maybe if we forced him to target other people he would get a better comfort level with them.

I dunno hopefully they let everyone rest for a few days and figure something out :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 16 1:09 pm

Jerry Kill stepped down from his AD job at SIU to be a special assistant at VaTech. So much for loyalty...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 47 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Sep 16 2:59 pm

Crazy to think, but "Gophers 3-0 despite being behind with 6 minutes to go in each game". I think part of that shows some improvement to me. While they shouldn't have been that close, especially last week, but previous Gopher teams would lose these types of games.

I heard on a podcast that if this team can figure out a few things, like OL play (pass protection) and then cut down on dumb mistakes (like the staring down receivers, etc), the team could be scary. They mentioned from the start of the season, consistency was going to be key and they haven't shown it yet, but they have some great talent players who are doing great so far.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Sep 16 3:47 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Sep 16 2:59 pm
Crazy to think, but "Gophers 3-0 despite being behind with 6 minutes to go in each game". I think part of that shows some improvement to me. While they shouldn't have been that close, especially last week, but previous Gopher teams would lose these types of games.

I heard on a podcast that if this team can figure out a few things, like OL play (pass protection) and then cut down on dumb mistakes (like the staring down receivers, etc), the team could be scary. They mentioned from the start of the season, consistency was going to be key and they haven't shown it yet, but they have some great talent players who are doing great so far.
We save our blowout wins for Iowa.

Blowout the Stinkeyes!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Sep 16 4:41 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Sep 16 1:09 pm
Jerry Kill stepped down from his AD job at SIU to be a special assistant at VaTech. So much for loyalty...
I've stopped trying to follow or see where he's at nowadays. Since leaving the U he's good for 1 year at a pop. Not even sure why institutions are interested.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Mon Sep 16 6:31 pm

JWG wrote:
Mon Sep 16 4:41 pm
Handyman wrote:
I've stopped trying to follow or see where he's at nowadays. Since leaving the U he's good for 1 year at a pop. Not even sure why institutions are interested.
Yeah, that's too bad. When he arrived I was excited for what he could bring...

I will NEVER forget the game where he had a seizure on the sideline on TV he was flopping on the ground...horrifying. So sad. That was before I knew of his condition, I looked at my wife and said my god, our coach just had a heart attack. Scary

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 16 7:59 pm

JWG wrote:
Mon Sep 16 4:41 pm
Handyman wrote:
I am thankful every day we never gave him a job here. The job he wanted was the one SIU gave him...and he gave them the finger too.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Sep 16 8:08 pm

Jfc, my dad texts me and says "minnesota coach is going to va tech?!" I about had a heart attack thinking Fleck just bounced. He must have seen a pic of him on tv in Gopher gear and thought he was still our coach.

Old people and tech, I tell ya
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Sep 16 9:27 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Mon Sep 16 8:08 pm
Jfc, my dad texts me and says "minnesota coach is going to va tech?!" I about had a heart attack thinking Fleck just bounced. He must have seen a pic of him on tv in Gopher gear and thought he was still our coach.

Old people and tech, I tell ya
Sure... the ex-ex-Minnesota Coach, if you count his replacements here, or ex-ex-ex-Minnesota Coach if you count his jobs since (or am I missing an ex or two on that, I can't really track any more, and I certainly don't care enough to look it up)
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by Zwak » Sun Sep 22 12:06 pm

#1 2021 football recruit in MN picks Wisconsin over Gophers and others

https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/22/l ... nd-others/
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Sep 22 12:18 pm

Shocked
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Sep 22 1:31 pm

In other recruit news, Gopher commit had 5 carries, 144 yards, and 5 touchdowns. He also did these over the last couple weeks.

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 47 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Sep 22 2:17 pm

Zwak wrote:
Sun Sep 22 12:06 pm
#1 2021 football recruit in MN picks Wisconsin over Gophers and others

https://www.twincities.com/2019/09/22/l ... nd-others/
Bummer to lose him to WI but not shocked. They consistently have a top OL and send players to the NFL.

We have a drought of OL to the NFL and it doesn't help in recruiting.

maddie
Rookie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maddie » Mon Sep 23 10:37 am

probably the wrong forum for this but......

attended jets/pats game yesterday. jets are pretty bad & the pats are who we thought they were.

it was fun to see Blake Cashman after never seeing him play for the M. he played probably 90% of the D snaps and had only one real screw-up that prompted a coach to intervene as he came off the field.

very impressive for a walk-on - impressive for anyone, actually. has got a legit shot to be a NFL standout.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Mon Sep 23 1:06 pm

Any news on our injured RB's???

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Sep 23 2:29 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Mon Sep 23 1:06 pm
Any news on our injured RB's???
Sounds like we'll be getting all four (Smith, Ibrahim, Wiley, and BROOKS!!!!!) back for Purdue.

Gophers running back Shannon Brooks ‘ready to go’ at Purdue
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Sep 23 2:54 pm

MNNavy wrote:
Mon Sep 23 2:29 pm
Sounds like we'll be getting all four (Smith, Ibrahim, Wiley, and BROOKS!!!!!) back for Purdue.

Gophers running back Shannon Brooks ‘ready to go’ at Purdue
Great news! Now if the OL can open a few holes...

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 241 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Vegoe » Tue Sep 24 7:16 am

I joined up the Gopher Illustrated guys Ryan Burns and Luke Buer to talk attendance challenges in college athletics and Minnesota: https://t.co/BrxYOk9P8L

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Sep 24 2:58 pm

Read this elsewhere fwiw:
One of the highest-rated recruits from the upcoming classes is about to flip...to Wisconsin.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Sep 24 3:46 pm

Shocker
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Sep 24 4:02 pm

Well that is pretty vague...

FWIW as of now no one seems to be talking about it on Ghole. Since half those crazies pay for access to the pay sites (or know someone close to the program) we will have to see but it cant have too much fire yet. Again though that is ridiculously vague.

I would have to assume though it is someone local though and I am not sure who it would be but I usually dont pay attention to recruiting until after the season. It isnt like we are getting 4 and 5 star guys on the regular so I am not sure why Wisconsin would go after our guys but hey more power to them I guess.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Sep 24 5:04 pm

Handyman wrote:
Tue Sep 24 4:02 pm
Well that is pretty vague...

FWIW as of now no one seems to be talking about it on Ghole. Since half those crazies pay for access to the pay sites (or know someone close to the program) we will have to see but it cant have too much fire yet. Again though that is ridiculously vague.

I would have to assume though it is someone local though and I am not sure who it would be but I usually dont pay attention to recruiting until after the season. It isnt like we are getting 4 and 5 star guys on the regular so I am not sure why Wisconsin would go after our guys but hey more power to them I guess.
Yeah it is quite vague so I was reluctant to even reference it but thought someone here might heard something more concrete.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Sep 24 5:51 pm

I wasnt criticizing you...just commenting for those that arent Eeyore ;)

Verbal commits arent worth getting excited or upset about anymore :/

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Sep 24 6:22 pm

I don’t even pay attention to verbal recruits. They flip more often than a political candidate in hostile territory.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Sep 24 6:43 pm

Are there any statistics by team on number of flips to and from (that end up there)?
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Sep 24 7:59 pm

I doubt it. Maybe back in the day but nowadays people commit real early and flip constantly. Hell one former Gopher recruit is on his 3rd Big Ten team for verbals :lol: Maybe 247 does it but I have never looked.

The whole thing is messed up. You have teams oversigning (grey shirts, maroon shirts, blue shirts...etc) and you have players committing but keeping their options open. I will say I think guys like Fleck have the right idea in that they will tell the player to commit early but if they arent 100% in (i.e. they want to take more visits) he wont accept it and they should wait until they have gone through the process before they say anything. Some of the local media types give him grief over that but in this day and age it is the right way to go. It is hard to get a class filled up with the right mix of players if a bunch of the guys you count on to come could flip the next time they take a road trip.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Sep 25 2:11 am

Handyman wrote:
Tue Sep 24 5:51 pm
I wasnt criticizing you...just commenting for those that arent Eeyore ;)

Verbal commits arent worth getting excited or upset about anymore :/
I didn't take it as such. :)

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 28 9:39 am

First legitimate game today.

First three opponents, combined +13 point differential, have a combined zero FBS wins.

Purdue has one.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Sat Sep 28 10:37 am

Did I read in the paper that Purdue's passing offense is the best in the Big Ten, but their rushing offense is dead last? Should be interesting...

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 28 10:52 am

Most stats don't mean much coming out of non conf season
Sick of LOSERVILLE

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 28 10:52 am

Gameday all picked Purdue.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by team22tank » Sat Sep 28 10:54 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Sep 28 10:52 am
Gameday all picked Purdue.
Just looked on Bovada and there is no money line, dead even.

Can pick 0.0 for either team at -110

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 28 2:42 pm

Jersey combo is way too USC.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 28 2:45 pm

Be nice to get a TD here.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Sep 28 2:46 pm

Yes.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by JC65 » Sat Sep 28 2:47 pm

The play calling once it was goal to go was a little iffy, but it worked. Good first drive!