Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Oct 27 11:49 am

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Handyman » Sun Oct 27 1:17 pm

A poster on Ghole posted the remaining schedules for the BT West...they are as follows:

1. Minnesota 5-0
PSU, @Iowa, @NW, WI
2t. Wisconsin 3-2
Iowa, @Nebraska, Purdue, @MN
2t. Iowa 3-2
@Wisconsin, Minn, Illinois, @Nebraska
4. Nebraska 2-3
@Purdue, Wisconsin, @MD, Iowa
5. Illinois 2-3
Rutgers, @MiSt, @Iowa, NW
6. Purdue 1-4
Nebraska, @NW, @WI, Indiana
7. NW 0-5
@Ind, vs Purdue, UMass, MN, at Illinois

So while we are playing Penn State on the 9th Iowa is playing at Madison. Loser is in all sorts of trouble. Most likely Wisconsin will win and run the table until they come here. With how mediocre Iowa's offense is they are going to struggle with everyone including us. Their D though is their saving grace.

Gophs need to split the last 4 to have at least a share of the title. Obviously 3 wins takes it. 1 win would require help but not impossible. Even though everyone will jump off the bandwagon if they lose in 2 weeks that game is the least important of the 4. Win at NW (easiest game left) and beat the winner of the Iowa/Wisconsin game those are priority #1 and #2. Of course that could be accomplished just beating both rivals as well...though I dont want to lose at Evanston NW is awful.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Oct 27 1:26 pm

Gophers move to #13 in the AP poll and Coaches poll :)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Oct 27 1:53 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by gopher6 » Sun Oct 27 1:56 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Oct 27 1:26 pm
Gophers move to #13 in the AP poll and Coaches poll :)
https://kstp.com/sports/minnesota-golde ... 865/?cat=1

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Oct 27 2:43 pm

I am going to enjoy the hell out of climbing to #13 and look forward to watching a great game in 2 weeks.

I am going to try to get to the game, but it’s tough when I don’t know the time and have kids hockey.

Border Gopher
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Border Gopher » Sun Oct 27 3:14 pm

Boom, I'm coming down for this one.
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Oct 27 5:03 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Oct 27 2:43 pm
I am going to enjoy the hell out of climbing to #13 and look forward to watching a great game in 2 weeks.

I am going to try to get to the game, but it’s tough when I don’t know the time and have kids hockey.
If I dont have to work I might try to as well. Even if I only tailgate with my cousins that would be fun and I can always bring a computer to watch it or something. Will have to see.

Win or lose this is the most fun I have had in quite some time. The fact that we dont HAVE to win to win the West (or stay ranked) makes it even better.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Oct 27 5:18 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Oct 27 5:03 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

Win or lose this is the most fun I have had in quite some time. The fact that we dont HAVE to win to win the West (or stay ranked) makes it even better.
Bingo, this has been a blast. We got our bowl, which will be a good one, we are being competitive, and I feel we can hang with anyone in the big10, may not win against some of those teams but we are turning the corner to commanding respect. In the past I would be dreading the psu game, but now, its gonna be a great game
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Oct 27 6:35 pm

Bertogliat wrote:

Game time will be announced Monday.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by D2D » Sun Oct 27 7:16 pm

The other (obvious) great thing is the impact their record - and all the national publicity they're now getting - on recruiting. Any doubt the 4 stars may have had in the past about Fleck and his program have all but vanished.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by JWG » Sun Oct 27 7:23 pm

I hope that’s true. It’s be nice to bolster recruiting.
JWG
[This space for rent]

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by sunbone » Sun Oct 27 7:49 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Oct 27 5:03 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

If I dont have to work I might try to as well. Even if I only tailgate with my cousins that would be fun and I can always bring a computer to watch it or something. Will have to see.

This has been such a fun season. Wish more people could enjoy the team starting 8-0 rather than worrying about who we have played and who we have yet to play. I love the direction of this program on and off the field and just enjoying the ride. I’m going to get some tickets for the PSU game. :good2:

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Oct 27 9:23 pm

If it’s an 11 we may go. 2:30 and we can’t.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Oct 27 10:07 pm

I know some people are pulling for Gameday to broadcast from the MN/PSU game, but is it too risky? Considering the pedophilia history with PSU my guess is there is a chance at some unkind posters in the background.

Has Gameday done a show with PSU as the visitor?

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Maize » Sun Oct 27 10:14 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Oct 27 10:07 pm
Considering the pedophilia history with PSU my guess is there is a chance at some unkind posters in the background.
God, I hope so.

Penn State has been the marquee game for Gameday three times at home, once on the road, and twice at neutral sites since Sandusky was first arrested, less than eight years ago.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Oct 27 10:43 pm

Regardless of their SOS we've seen many a previous Gophers roster and poorly coached team lose 2-3 of these games so far. They're not yet ready to challenge OSU in my opinion, but they're setting up for more success on a more consistent basis than we've seen since forever. I've said for years there's no reason why the Gophers should not be able to compete with Wisconsin and Iowa. Wer shall see.

For now it's one game at a time and get ready for Penn State.
Currently under construction.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Oct 27 11:29 pm

Maize wrote:
Sun Oct 27 10:14 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Considering the pedophilia history with PSU my guess is there is a chance at some unkind posters in the background.
God, I hope so.

Penn State has been the marquee game for Gameday three times at home, once on the road, and twice at neutral sites since Sandusky was first arrested, less than eight years ago.
I have faith that the intelligent and passive aggressive folks of Minnesota could come up with some real gems
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Oct 27 11:43 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Oct 27 11:29 pm
Maize wrote:
Sun Oct 27 10:14 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
God, I hope so.

I have faith that the intelligent and passive aggressive folks of Minnesota could come up with some real gems
Just get right to the point

"8-0! Nobody Touches Our Boys!"
"Home of Golden Gophers, Not Showers!"
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Oct 28 9:01 am

Bertogliat wrote:
I know some people are pulling for Gameday to broadcast from the MN/PSU game, but is it too risky? Considering the pedophilia history with PSU my guess is there is a chance at some unkind posters in the background.

Has Gameday done a show with PSU as the visitor?
There are signs with poor taste at every gameday... they usually don't let too many of them sneak onto the air, but sometimes it happens and plenty of them show up on social.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Oct 28 9:23 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun Oct 27 1:17 pm
So while we are playing Penn State on the 9th Iowa is playing at Madison. Loser is in all sorts of trouble. Most likely Wisconsin will win and run the table until they come here. With how mediocre Iowa's offense is they are going to struggle with everyone including us. Their D though is their saving arse.
Right now...I just don't see Iowa winning more than one game down the stretch and that one game won't be versus Minnesota.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Oct 28 10:00 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Oct 28 9:23 am
Handyman wrote:
So while we are playing Penn State on the 9th Iowa is playing at Madison. Loser is in all sorts of trouble. Most likely Wisconsin will win and run the table until they come here. With how mediocre Iowa's offense is they are going to struggle with everyone including us. Their D though is their saving arse.
Right now...I just don't see Iowa winning more than one game down the stretch and that one game won't be versus Minnesota.
That's because you think they're going to go 3-9 every season :lol: :wink:
I believe that MN "can" beat Iowa, but it's in Iowa and you never know. Haven't won there since 1999, so another mindset thing to overcome.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Oct 28 10:03 am

My review of Fleck so far is his teams seem to beat teams they are supposed to beat, which was a problem in the past. Now we see if they can beat ranked teams which hasn't happened in ages.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Oct 28 10:19 am

JWG wrote:
Mon Oct 28 10:00 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I believe that MN "can" beat Iowa, but it's in Iowa and you never know. Haven't won there since 1999, so another mindset thing to overcome.
To me it would be a complete meltdown by Minnesota to lose to Iowa even with the game at Kinnick. The area of Minnesota's game that scares me the most is the passing game. Minnesota can and will pass on Iowa and that will be the difference because Iowa does not have a shut down corner to deal with Johnson or Bateman. And my gut tells me that Nate Stanley will have one of his worst games of the year vs. Winfield Jr.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Oct 28 10:29 am

11 am kickoff for Penn State.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Oct 28 10:34 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28 10:29 am
11 am kickoff for Penn State.
That's a goddamn shame.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Oct 28 11:01 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Handyman wrote:
While normally I would just say you are sandbagging...I bet if I asked my uncle he would say the same thing or worse. He had a bad feeling going into the year and I just cant see him being super high on the team at this point.

Which of course...is fine by me :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times

Post by solar » Mon Oct 28 11:27 am

Gophers vs Penn State 11am CT 11/9 on ABC. That game precedes the Alabama/LSU game at 2:30pm CT on CBS.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Oct 28 11:39 am

Not bad to get a prime time channel right before the NFL Dev League game
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Oct 28 12:04 pm

Does an 11 a.m. game hurt attendance vs. a later kickoff, or will this regardless be best non-WI/IA opponent attended game since the Bank opened?

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Oct 28 12:05 pm

Sounds like there is a rule about night games in November and the Gophers declined the option for it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Oct 28 12:12 pm

I'm not so sure it's gonna beat that TCU game in amazing weather. Last game I went to.

Both in tickets sold and bodies in seats
Sick of LOSERVILLE

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Oct 28 12:15 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Oct 28 12:04 pm
Does an 11 a.m. game hurt attendance vs. a later kickoff, or will this regardless be best non-WI/IA opponent attended game since the Bank opened?
It will hurt student attednance for sure. They can't seem to get to 11am games. It also likely means a late crowd given 11a makes tailgaiting a challenge and compresses traffic a bit. It is what it is, first 11a game of the season.
JWG
[This space for rent]

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Oct 28 12:16 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28 12:05 pm
Sounds like there is a rule about night games in November and the Gophers declined the option for it.
Yes, the B1G has a no night games in November rule that requires both teams option in if requested for a night game. The Gophers apparently said no. Too bad as night games at TCF are awesome. Probably better for the players to not have to sit around all day thinking about it.
JWG
[This space for rent]

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Oct 28 12:19 pm

There is also a hockey and basketball game the same day and temps in the 20s at kickoff could also put off people from attending.

11am is what it is and should make for a great atmosphere.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Oct 28 1:45 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28 12:19 pm
There is also a hockey and basketball game the same day and temps in the 20s at kickoff could also put off people from attending.

I wish college football wouldn't start games at 11 am. Let people tailgate.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Oct 28 2:30 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Oct 28 11:01 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Handyman wrote:
While normally I would just say you are sandbagging...I bet if I asked my uncle he would say the same thing or worse. He had a bad feeling going into the year and I just cant see him being super high on the team at this point.

Which of course...is fine by me :)
I wish I was sandbagging but this Iowa team just can't find consistency on offense and the usually stout o-line is just as inconsistent as QB1.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Oct 28 2:55 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Oct 28 10:19 am
JWG wrote:
Mon Oct 28 10:00 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Handyman wrote:
To me it would be a complete meltdown by Minnesota to lose to Iowa even with the game at Kinnick. The area of Minnesota's game that scares me the most is the passing game. Minnesota can and will pass on Iowa and that will be the difference because Iowa does not have a shut down corner to deal with Johnson or Bateman. And my gut tells me that Nate Stanley will have one of his worst games of the year vs. Winfield Jr.
Tanner Morgan has been pretty predestrian in his last 3 outings with just over a 60% completion rating. So he's fallen off a bit as of late. Now, that's okay and probably driven by the strong running game we've had, so not to say we can't light it up passing if we need to, but no sure thing either.
JWG
[This space for rent]

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Oct 28 3:46 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Oct 28 1:45 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:

They open at 7 am, IIRC. That is a solid 4 hours, plus stay open after the game, but not sure the exact time.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Oct 28 3:46 pm

People hate on ND's shiny hockey helmets right? But they like our shiny gold helmets?

I think they all look good.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Oct 28 5:39 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28 3:46 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Oct 28 1:45 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:

They open at 7 am, IIRC. That is a solid 4 hours, plus stay open after the game, but not sure the exact time.
That is not enough. And if you want to get into the game on time, start packing up at 10 am.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 77 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Oct 28 6:00 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:

Hockey? Men are in Michigan that weekend and the women are off...
Edit: the men’s basketball team plays Oklahoma in Whioux Falls on November 9th.
Edit 2: currently LMAO at the awesome auto-correct feature - totally forgot about that. Whioux Falls. :lol:

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Oct 28 10:04 pm

Someone is trying to make an impression for a nationally televised ABC game on 11/9. Student season ticket holders get a free guest pass for the game. And there is a salute to service members offer with up to four tickets available to active duty or veterans: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Oct 28 10:17 pm

It sounds like the Family Four Packs (at least a couple days ago) were still in play as well. Plenty of tickets have sold the last few days according to the thread on Ghole that is tracking it. (like 3k or so) Still plenty available but hey any movement is good movement...

11am will hurt the student attendance so a free guest pass is a smart idea. (if the guest pass doesnt need a U Card that will be a nice way for students to make some easy cash) Service member tickets is even smarter. Great headline.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Oct 29 8:53 am

I'm trying to round up a couple buddies to go.
Kinda bummed the game is at 11 but it's cool to have the national recognition that ABC picked the Gophers game.

Heard on KFAN that college football has never had a day with two (or more) regular season matchups where both teams are 8-0 or better before.

Minnesota vs. Penn State and Alabama vs. LSU will change that.

Pretty cool.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Oct 29 9:35 am

This week is some weird NCAA Football dead zone. Gophers, PSU, Alabama, LSU, Wisconsin, and Iowa are all off.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 370 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Oct 29 9:41 am

Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Oct 29 9:44 am

Beauner wrote:
Tue Oct 29 8:53 am
Kinda bummed the game is at 11 but it's cool to have the national recognition that ABC picked the Gophers game.

Heard on KFAN that college football has never had a day with two (or more) regular season matchups where both teams are 8-0 or better before.

Pretty cool.
Even crazier stat if true...I read that this is the first time in the AP Poll era that there is 2 undefeated Big Ten teams playing each other this late in the season and at least one of them isnt Michigan or Ohio State. That is crazy!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Oct 29 10:38 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Tue Oct 29 9:41 am
Since he didn't @ them... :wink:

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue Oct 29 11:02 am

Handyman wrote:
Tue Oct 29 9:44 am
Beauner wrote:

Pretty cool.
Even crazier stat if true...I read that this is the first time in the AP Poll era that there is 2 undefeated Big Ten teams playing each other this late in the season and at least one of them isnt Michigan or Ohio State. That is crazy!
A lot of the "they haven't played anybody yet" crowd are looking for validation if the Gophers get smoked by PSU. I'm hoping Minnesota at least plays a solid game and let the chips fall....no choking please!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Oct 29 11:13 am

PSU opens as a -6.5 for the game.
Less than a TD against #5, I'm good with that.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Tue Oct 29 1:07 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Oct 29 11:13 am
PSU opens as a -6.5 for the game.
Less than a TD against #5, I'm good with that.
In the words of Lou Brown, "Let's give 'em all a big ol' $h!t burger to eat".

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Oct 29 1:08 pm

For the most hyped game in ages, sucks that we have to wait two weeks
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Oct 29 3:20 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Tue Oct 29 3:25 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Tue Oct 29 11:02 am
Handyman wrote:
Beauner wrote:

Pretty cool.
A lot of the "they haven't played anybody yet" crowd are looking for validation if the Gophers get smoked by PSU. I'm hoping Minnesota at least plays a solid game and let the chips fall....no choking please!
Unfortunately, there is a long line of people just waiting to say I told you so or jump off the bandwagon again. The next four games will be tough and 3 of the 4 against ranked opponents, but can't we enjoy what this team has down in the Big Ten, regardless of who they played. They are one of 8-10 (?) undefeated teams, have scored more than 28 in each of the Big Ten games and outside of 2 errors by Morgan and 2 garbage time TDs, given up very few points!

Will they beat Penn State? Not sure, but it should be a good challenge.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Oct 29 3:30 pm

Lose 100-0 to PSU and IA and beat NW and uw 6-3 (if uw beats IA) and I'll be happy as a lark.

Beat PSU and lose division tiebreaker would burn, but it would be a signature win in the last 15 years.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Oct 29 4:12 pm

Handyman wrote:
Tue Oct 29 3:20 pm
I must be dumb...

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by team22tank » Tue Oct 29 4:31 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Oct 29 4:12 pm
Handyman wrote:
Tue Oct 29 3:20 pm
I must be dumb...
To think goalies in the 70s and 80s covered less net and were probably less technical than that right there!

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Oct 29 4:57 pm

Handyman wrote:
Not too crazy when you consider that it was the "Big Two" and the "Little Eight" for so many years...

Greyeagle
Has liked: 515 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Oct 29 6:18 pm

Cool interview after practice.

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Oct 29 6:36 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Oct 29 6:18 pm

I love this. Putting himself out there, not caring if he looks dopey. People need to let their superficial dislike for Fleck go. He’s willing to do whatever to promote the school and community, not just football.
Last edited by JWG on Tue Oct 29 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Oct 29 6:55 pm

Agreed. He has been nothing but a great ambassador for the school since day 1.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Oct 29 6:59 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Oct 29 6:18 pm

That. Is. Awesome!!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Oct 29 8:20 pm

He also looks hilarious rowing the boat in all that gear on the ice.
JWG
[This space for rent]

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Tue Oct 29 8:42 pm

It's been said by many of you but I'm echoing it, I didnt like his corporate hooo rah rah when he came in, I've come to embrace it. What I've loved about him day one though is his holding players to high standards and his continued open support of all u programs and being an ambassador of not just football or all sports but the whole school.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 515 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Oct 29 8:56 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Tue Oct 29 8:42 pm
It's been said by many of you but I'm echoing it, I didnt like his corporate hooo rah rah when he came in, I've come to embrace it. What I've loved about him day one though is his holding players to high standards and his continued open support of all u programs and being an ambassador of not just football or all sports but the whole school.
For the win.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Tue Oct 29 9:31 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
I could not agree more. I was a little bothered by some of his “act” at first until I realized it is not an act. Seeing his embrace with Casey completely erases any doubts you could have about how he cares for his team if you ask me. I bet most of his players would follow him to the gates of hell. I am proud he is the coach at the U and think he is a great asset for the athletic programs, the school and the programs his players have turned out to serve. Many of those players will go on to serve their communities for the rest of their lives because of his example and that is a legacy that goes beyond wins and losses. Go Gophers.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Oct 29 10:11 pm

Penn State defensive tackle Antonio Shelton suspended for spitting on Michigan State player

http://www.startribune.com/penn-state-defensive-tackle-antonio-shelton-suspended-for-spitting-on-michigan-state-player/564076622/

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by streakygopher » Tue Oct 29 10:28 pm

Golden FE Ranger wrote:
Tue Oct 29 9:31 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
I could not agree more. I was a little bothered by some of his “act” at first until I realized it is not an act. Seeing his embrace with Casey completely erases any doubts you could have about how he cares for his team if you ask me. I bet most of his players would follow him to the gates of hell. I am proud he is the coach at the U and think he is a great asset for the athletic programs, the school and the programs his players have turned out to serve. Many of those players will go on to serve their communities for the rest of their lives because of his example and that is a legacy that goes beyond wins and losses. Go Gophers.
If it is an act, it's a good one. :) I think whatever he is, or does, he comes by it honestly. That's A-ok in my book.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Oct 29 10:59 pm

This was a more positive instance of a Gopher Head Football Coach collapsing. Too soon?

In fairness, this made me like your coach a little, well done.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Oct 29 11:53 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Tue Oct 29 10:59 pm
In fairness, this made me like your coach a little, well done.
He's certainly won me over. At first, with all the rah-rah and Row Your Boat stuff, it had me thinking "shades of Brewster". But as time has gone by, I've done a 180 in coming to the conclusion: this guys for real, it's genuine and he's backing it all up by getting it done! :good2:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Oct 30 12:54 am

No offense but the Brewster comparison sucked. Brew was never a head coach...Fleck took Western Michigan to the friggin Cotton Bowl. I may not like his style but comparing him to Brew (and this isnt for you D2D cause a lot of people were doing it) was lazy and rather disingenuous. His accomplishments at WMU were better than what Kill did before coming here...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Oct 30 12:57 am

FYI someone on Ghole said they bought the Cub Family 4 pack yesterday for the PSU game.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times

Post by solar » Wed Oct 30 8:47 am

Yes, the Cub Family Pack was still available for the Penn State game yesterday, although the graphic on the website that normally shows the opponents' logo shows the Gopher M, so it is a little confusing.

EDIT

Here's the link, and they've fixed the logo issue today...

https://gophersports.evenue.net/cgi-bin ... evenue.net

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Oct 30 9:13 am

I doubt it will happen but would be so happy to see them go back to this M for one game.

Or their Rose Bowl throwback: