Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 1:59 pm

No they dont. Here let me break it down for you because my format is a bit confusing:

1) tOSU
2) LSU
3) Clemson
4) Georgia
5) Bama
6) Utah
7) Oklahoma

Those are the rankings from last week. 1/2/3 in my humble opinion are locks. (Clemson as defending champs get the Bama treatment) Bama lost they are out with 2 losses. If Georgia beats LSU they will stay ahead of Utah and Oklahoma (unless they get jumped for some reason in this weeks rankings but I am not assuming that here) and be the last spot in. If they lose they are also out with 2 losses. Then it comes down to Utah and Oklahoma.

The statements dont contradict at all. 3 teams are vying for the last spot. I am assuming Georgia is going to lose so it comes down to Utah and Oklahoma.

This is how I should have posted it:

Not a chance. tOSU will be in the CFP even with a loss. tOSU, LSU and Clemson are locks. The last spot is between Utah and Oklahoma because Georgia will be out if they lose to LSU (if they beat LSU both make it) Bama is already dead and no one else is really in the conversation.

NOW if say both upsets happen. Then my guess for the rankings goes:

1) Clemson
2) Georgia
3) LSU
4) tOSU

I dont see the CFP putting in Utah or Oklahoma if both LSU and tOSU are upset.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 2:23 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 1:57 pm
Handyman wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:54 am
Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:40 am
JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:51 am
Dances With Gophers wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:42 am
JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:27 am
I'd love to think it's possible, but I just don't see a Rose Bowl this season. We'll be the 4th ranked B1G team in the CFP:
1) OSU 2) WI /. PSU 3) PSU/WI 4) MN

To me that's just too far down to over come (maybe if we were 3rd). I think it will be:
OSU to CFP, PSU to Rose, WI to Citrus, and MN to Outback.

The wild card here is if the Rose takes WI. PSU can't really go back to Citrus (was just there last year), so that's where things get interesting. They could go to the Outback Bowl (haven't been this cycle). Which could pull MN back to the Citrus. I don't think Citrus would take Michigan over us (MI was there the year after us). They have to take a B1G team so if WI is off the table and it can't really be PSU, then it's us or Iowa. That could mean:
OSU to CFP, WI to Rose, MN/Iowa to Citrus, PSU to Outback. I "think" in this secnario we go back to Citrus because technically we can, but you never know. If we fell to the Holiday Bowl in this scenario I'd be pissed (don't think it will happen).

Given the love the CFP has had for PSU, it's also possible they could still get taken by a NY6 bowl and if not Rose then Orange. Then we're hopefully in the Citrus as a repeat vs. Iowa jumping that high or MI getting to go back sooner than us.
PSU didn’t even win their division. We can hang our hats on being CO-West division winners. We just lost the tie-breaker. PSU would be a distant fourth in your rankings. It’s between us and WI. And we’d have one less loss and zero losses to non top-15 ranked teams. WI has the stench of a Illinois choke job on them.
PSU will be above us in the next CFP. We were 8 and 10, we lost and they won. We will flip and WI will jump us after their win. We will be 4th in the CFP rankings as far as B1G teams go. If OSU blasts WI, I can see a 2 loss PSU jumping a 3 loss WI. MAYBE there's hope we jump WI again, too (though I think it's unlikely).
Penn State didn't exactly look like a team that should move up on Saturday. 81 passing yards against 2-10 (0-9) Rutgers?
Hell it was 13-3 going into the 4th quarter, then Rutgers cut it to 13-6 in the fourth before PSU rolled a couple late touchdowns.
The 21 point loss was the closest game Rutgers played in conference.
So then why wouldnt they take Wisconsin? Wisconsin has the same record as us and beat us. Even if Wisconsin loses badly next weekend it would seem kind of crappy if they were punished because they played an extra game for winning their division.

The ultimate problem the Gophers have is every argument people can use to put them in can be used to put someone else in above them. All they have is "The Story". So it comes down to whether The Rose Bowl cares enough about "The Story" to move them up. I would bet against it.
3-loss Wisconsin with potentially 2 30+ point losses.
You can say "you can't punish a team because they played an extra game for winning the division" but it happens in the CFP all the time. Georgia is currently #4 and SEC East champ. If they lose in the SEC title game they're out of the CFP. So whether it is fair or not, it matters in some cases. If Sconnie loses 63-7 to Ohio State is that really a team that the Rose Bowl will say YEAH LET'S BRING THEM!!!?
But then that 3-loss WI team with two big losses will have beat us by 21 (in our house). So, then what? If WI killed us and OSU killed them, why would the Rose want us any more? Which you could then extend to PSU who lost to us. Which still tells me we're out of the Rose Bowl and only get the Citrus if it's between us and PSU because WI gets the Rose.
JWG
[This space for rent]

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Dec 02 2:39 pm

I think we are all forgetting something:

Unless there is a specific contract mandating otherwise, the Bowls only care about $$$. That is it.

Now, the Rose has history and a tradition of being a top tier bowl, but also is concerned with bringing in lots of $$$ to the area. The Outback and Citrus are no different. They use prestige to sell tickets, but at the end of the day, they are going to maximize their dollars, and that is their sole concern. Rewarding a team is pretty low on their radar-- the Outback Bowl could give two Fs about our great season, if we won't promise to travel down there.

By the same token, the Rose Bowl will still look at their ability to sell out. Will Bucky bring a huge crowd to Pasadena again after being there so often? What about Penn State, who was just there a few years ago? You better dang well believe that Minnesota will travel to Pasadena. Maybe not to the other bowls, but definitely to Pasadena.

The Rose has an option-- do they go with a prestige of the game and pick the highest CFP B1G team (likely Penn State if/when Bucky loses), or do they go for the dough as Bucky, PSU and Minnesota all are tied for the second B1G team, and Bucky has 3 losses with one particularly bad one, while PSU and UMN have only good losses with UMN winning the H2H between them?

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Dec 02 2:49 pm

JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 2:23 pm
But then that 3-loss WI team with two big losses will have beat us by 21 (in our house). So, then what? If WI killed us and OSU killed them, why would the Rose want us any more?
Because they love money and don't care about rankings? People are pole-vaulting over mouse$#1t here (and on other websites) trying to convince others that their ranking rationale even matters. It doesn't.

What will play more to audiences/sponsors/fans in the media lead-up to the Rose Bowl (and by extension, monetized mouse-clicks) -- the prototypical Midwestern Dad figure Paul Chryst...OR arguably one of the hottest brands in CFB right now, PJ Fleck and Co. (see - mini PJ Fleck going viral, Casey's story, Shannon Brooks overcoming his mother's death last year, Rodney Smith breaking the all-time yardage record, Minny breaking all sorts of team records...the list is endless.

Someone earlier (Handy?) made the kinda-sorta valid point that the 'caveat' is in place to 'screw' the Gophers i.e. to enable the RB committee to select helmet schools over everyone else. He's half-right. The helmet schools are helmet schools because they're pretty much a guaranteed draw wherever they go. Read - they mean more $$$. If it's between MN and OSU, we have zero chance. But I'm more than prepared to declare WI is NOT a helmet school. Furthermore, if it's a toss-up between them and us, we have an inside track to the RB here because it's been frigging forever and the committee knows (or at least should know) that MN fans are willing to take out a second mortgage just to fulfill a long-held dream.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Dec 02 2:56 pm

Stupid question - are there no bowl games "between" the 3 allotted to the Final 4 and the Rose that could snatch Wisconsin before the Rose?
Currently under construction.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Viking » Mon Dec 02 3:14 pm

As far as B1G Ten bowls go, outside of the Rose Bowl which gets the B1G Ten champion unless they are in the playoff, the conference assigns teams to the bowl games. This seems to be an exclusively B1G Ten thing and as far as I can see pretty new. Expect the Gophers to be in Tampa for the Outback Bowl.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 3:57 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Mon Dec 02 2:39 pm
I think we are all forgetting something:

Unless there is a specific contract mandating otherwise, the Bowls only care about $$$. That is it.

Now, the Rose has history and a tradition of being a top tier bowl, but also is concerned with bringing in lots of $$$ to the area. The Outback and Citrus are no different. They use prestige to sell tickets, but at the end of the day, they are going to maximize their dollars, and that is their sole concern. Rewarding a team is pretty low on their radar-- the Outback Bowl could give two Fs about our great season, if we won't promise to travel down there.

By the same token, the Rose Bowl will still look at their ability to sell out. Will Bucky bring a huge crowd to Pasadena again after being there so often? What about Penn State, who was just there a few years ago? You better dang well believe that Minnesota will travel to Pasadena. Maybe not to the other bowls, but definitely to Pasadena.

The Rose has an option-- do they go with a prestige of the game and pick the highest CFP B1G team (likely Penn State if/when Bucky loses), or do they go for the dough as Bucky, PSU and Minnesota all are tied for the second B1G team, and Bucky has 3 losses with one particularly bad one, while PSU and UMN have only good losses with UMN winning the H2H between them?
I am not sure it applies to the Rose Bowl but for the rest the Big Ten ultimately has to allow the selection. That is why they set up the conflict rules they want a say in who plays where to avoid teams getting jumped badly for repeats. If this was 1999 Michigan would be a lock to jump us as would Iowa despite all the conflicts. The Big Ten wants variety, it is better for the brand. That is why the Gophers are a lock for the Outback Bowl at worst...

The Rose is already "sold out" so they dont much care about the same things that Outback and Citrus do. (or any lower bowl) Every team going there is going to get fans to go. Yes that includes Wisconsin who was just there. I dont see that playing into this at all. The Gophers are a good story but the loss to Wisconsin took the shine off the (no pun intended) rose for much of the country.

Slap Shot,

After the debacle where Iowa got selected to the Orange Bowl over the Rose Bowl I think (I havent cared enough to research it beyond basic write ups) the Rose gets right of first selection of Big Ten teams. The Big Ten and the Rose Bowl want the highest non CFP team in the Rose Bowl and nowhere else. After that I think the Orange selects but I think the breakdown I saw was that they are most likely not taking a Big Ten team this year with how things have shaken up. I am an amateur about this at best though so I fully admit I could be wrong.

I dont want you all to misread me...I want more than anything for the Gophers to be in the Rose Bowl. And the chances are not 0% but as we sit right now they arent great. Now if Sconnie gets drubbed again things could change. The Big Ten and the Rose might want to see some new blood in there and then all bets are off. If the season ended right now though I dont see anyway it happens.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 4:11 pm

We’d all love to be in the Rose but that’s just so unlikely now. I’m 95% confident we will be in the Outback playing Auburn maybe. 4.9% it may be Citrus and .01% Rose.

Rose has always taken the highest available CFP ranked team in the playoff era. That won’t be MN.

And Tampa is just as great in January as it is in April 😉
JWG
[This space for rent]

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Mon Dec 02 4:11 pm

I'd like to go to the Rose Bowl the year we earn it. This wasn't that year. Wisconsin and OSU deserve the 2 best bowls of the BIG and in my mind that's the playoff and rose bowl.

I'm like all others that want to see the Gophers there someday in my lifetime. I want that as much as any fan.

If we got it this year my opinion of the Rose Bowl would be forever changed. I want it to mean something and we lost the game(s) it would have taken fair and square. This is the best Gopher team of my 52 years, and I will gladly go up to Orlando or Tampa to see my 2nd New Year's Day gopher bowl game in my lifetime because that's what we earned

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Dec 02 4:42 pm

Yeah my question was less about want (although I do want) and more about possibility. With the answers given it's then very unlikely which is too bad but far from the end of the world. They will be in a high exposure bowl and imho no matter what set themselves up beautifully for the future. That's really what we could ask for given the losses to Iowa and Wisconsin. On to bigger and better things!!

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Dec 02 5:14 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 1:57 pm
Handyman wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:54 am
Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:40 am
JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:51 am
Dances With Gophers wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:42 am
JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:27 am
I'd love to think it's possible, but I just don't see a Rose Bowl this season. We'll be the 4th ranked B1G team in the CFP:
1) OSU 2) WI /. PSU 3) PSU/WI 4) MN

To me that's just too far down to over come (maybe if we were 3rd). I think it will be:
OSU to CFP, PSU to Rose, WI to Citrus, and MN to Outback.

The wild card here is if the Rose takes WI. PSU can't really go back to Citrus (was just there last year), so that's where things get interesting. They could go to the Outback Bowl (haven't been this cycle). Which could pull MN back to the Citrus. I don't think Citrus would take Michigan over us (MI was there the year after us). They have to take a B1G team so if WI is off the table and it can't really be PSU, then it's us or Iowa. That could mean:
OSU to CFP, WI to Rose, MN/Iowa to Citrus, PSU to Outback. I "think" in this secnario we go back to Citrus because technically we can, but you never know. If we fell to the Holiday Bowl in this scenario I'd be pissed (don't think it will happen).

Given the love the CFP has had for PSU, it's also possible they could still get taken by a NY6 bowl and if not Rose then Orange. Then we're hopefully in the Citrus as a repeat vs. Iowa jumping that high or MI getting to go back sooner than us.
PSU didn’t even win their division. We can hang our hats on being CO-West division winners. We just lost the tie-breaker. PSU would be a distant fourth in your rankings. It’s between us and WI. And we’d have one less loss and zero losses to non top-15 ranked teams. WI has the stench of a Illinois choke job on them.
PSU will be above us in the next CFP. We were 8 and 10, we lost and they won. We will flip and WI will jump us after their win. We will be 4th in the CFP rankings as far as B1G teams go. If OSU blasts WI, I can see a 2 loss PSU jumping a 3 loss WI. MAYBE there's hope we jump WI again, too (though I think it's unlikely).
Penn State didn't exactly look like a team that should move up on Saturday. 81 passing yards against 2-10 (0-9) Rutgers?
Hell it was 13-3 going into the 4th quarter, then Rutgers cut it to 13-6 in the fourth before PSU rolled a couple late touchdowns.
The 21 point loss was the closest game Rutgers played in conference.
So then why wouldnt they take Wisconsin? Wisconsin has the same record as us and beat us. Even if Wisconsin loses badly next weekend it would seem kind of crappy if they were punished because they played an extra game for winning their division.

The ultimate problem the Gophers have is every argument people can use to put them in can be used to put someone else in above them. All they have is "The Story". So it comes down to whether The Rose Bowl cares enough about "The Story" to move them up. I would bet against it.
3-loss Wisconsin with potentially 2 30+ point losses.
You can say "you can't punish a team because they played an extra game for winning the division" but it happens in the CFP all the time. Georgia is currently #4 and SEC East champ. If they lose in the SEC title game they're out of the CFP. So whether it is fair or not, it matters in some cases. If Sconnie loses 63-7 to Ohio State is that really a team that the Rose Bowl will say YEAH LET'S BRING THEM!!!?
I’d love for the Gophers to play in the Rose Bowl. But I agree with Handys post above. I would bet against it. We had our clear chance & came up short. But a New Years Day Bowl in Tampa (or Orlando) is still a big step the the right direction for this program ☝️

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Kelor » Mon Dec 02 5:34 pm

I agree. The Gophers don't deserve a Rose Bowl bid with a 1-2 record against ranked teams, and a strength of schedule at 27th. Take away the two losses, and their strength of schedule drops to 49th.

Don't get me wrong. It was a great year, and I'm convinced it will give us an opportunity for excellent recruits! I just hope we don't get a Rose Bowl bid, as it would discredit what the Rose Bowl has always meant.

As far as next year is concerned, I hope coach Fleck learned some lessons. The Iowa loss could arguably be placed mostly on his shoulders. Coaching beat talent in that game. Though he said the Wisconsin loss was 100% his fault, frankly some really bad coaching judgement didn't cost them the game, but it sure didn't help.

This is going to be a fun program to watch, hopefully for a long, long time!

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 132 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Dec 02 5:37 pm

in other news, how awesome would it be if JD Spielman came to us............
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 6:03 pm

Well to be fair, the last time we made the Rose Bowl it was because Ohio State did not accept the bid so it wouldnt be that big of a deal if we backed our way in this time as well. Read More Here

The problem all 3 teams have (assuming Wisconsin loses) is they lost. Every team has an equal shot to win enough games to take away any doubt and none of them did. Whoever isnt chosen has no one to blame but themselves. It is why College Football is so awesome...outside of the CFP which is a joke for about 700 reasons.
Last edited by Handyman on Mon Dec 02 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 6:04 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Mon Dec 02 5:37 pm
That rumor wont go away...I doubt it happens though. He isnt a Frost recruit though and I believe he could grad transfer if he wants to.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Dec 02 6:55 pm

Whatever happens: SKI-U-MAH!!

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 7:53 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Mon Dec 02 5:37 pm
Ron Johnson is on it.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 8:06 pm

Yeah I think Ron is having a little fun with the Nebraska fans...which is always a good time ;)

Gophers Did Add a WR to the 2020 Class

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 8:23 pm

Two Gophers enter the transfer portal.

Nathan Umlor and Ben Davies. Interesting, nothing but love for MN in their tweets yet leaving? Ben graduated and maybe doesn’t want to do grad school here? Disappointed in playing time but not burning bridges?
JWG
[This space for rent]

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 9:29 pm

JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 8:23 pm
Two Gophers enter the transfer portal.

Nathan Umlor and Ben Davies. Interesting, nothing but love for MN in their tweets yet leaving? Ben graduated and maybe doesn’t want to do grad school here? Disappointed in playing time but not burning bridges?
If he's a grad transfer he'd be able to go anywhere and play right away. If he's behind the starting offensive linemen and knows that he's buried on the depth chart he's got no reason to stay. Probably goes to a MAC school and get some playing time he may not have gotten here.
Umlor is a redshirt sophomore but I can count on one hand how many times I remember that I've seen him on the field.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 9:41 pm

Umlor was never going to get much playing time. He isnt a Big Ten caliber D-Lineman and well he barely counted as a body as an offensive lineman. Wish him nothing but the best but his scholarship can be used elsewhere.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Tue Dec 03 11:28 am

USA Today bowl predictions
Penn St vs Oregon in Rose bowl
Gophers vs Texas A & M in outback
Wisc vs Auburn in Citrus bowl

CFP is Ohio St vs Oklahoma and LSU vs Clemson

Here’s a list from Star Tribune of sports writers picks-

http://m.startribune.com/minnesota-gophers-bowl-projections-new-year-s-day-florida-the-latest-look/565682812/

I don’t see a possible Rose Bowl for the Gophers.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 03 12:44 pm

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 1:13 pm

Its almost as if someone posted that 5 posts ago ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 03 1:26 pm

Handyman wrote:
Tue Dec 03 1:13 pm
It's more exciting when I post it?
Hidden Content...
:oops: :mrgreen:

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 03 3:17 pm

Looked into the Sota Social for signing day that's put on through the Goal Line Club, haven't been to one since Brewster's first. Thought it may be fun and a way to get excited about the next phase of Gopher Football. $60 for non-goal line club members... wow! Guess I'll just watch the twitter reactions and conference room antics on actual signing day.
JWG
[This space for rent]

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Tue Dec 03 4:24 pm

Handyman wrote:
SS's post had a picture!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 03 4:45 pm

george wrote:
Tue Dec 03 4:24 pm
Handyman wrote:
SS's post had a picture!
Haha. :mrgreen:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 5:20 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Dec 03 6:04 pm

I bet he voted for himself.

/reusse

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Dec 03 6:26 pm

Wow,CFP rankings have us behind Iowa and Michigan ....seems like we could really drop bowls now too.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 03 7:23 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03 6:26 pm
Wow,CFP rankings have us behind Iowa and Michigan ....seems like we could really drop bowls now too.
Yea, that’s a real kick in the nuts and a bit ridiculous. WI to 8, PSU 10, MI 14, and Iowa 16 and us 18. 6th ranked B1G is a joke. They’re not only putting all the 2 loss teams ahead of us but some 3 too. Guess the only game that matters is the last one.

We can put the Rose Bowl dream to bed and maybe New Years Day as well. What a joke.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 7:24 pm

CFP only matters for the Rose. (and doesnt even matter for that overall)

Iowa made the Outback last year (and 3 years ago) so they are out. Michigan made it two years ago so they are out.

Big Ten decides where everyone goes not the Faux Final Four Committee.

This puts to rest though any chance the Gophs had at the Rose. I wonder if this changes predictions some had of the Big Ten not making the Orange though...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 7:28 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Dec 03 7:23 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03 6:26 pm
Yea, that’s a real kick in the nuts and a bit ridiculous. WI to 8, PSU 10, MI 14, and Iowa 16 and us 18. 6th ranked B1G is a joke. They’re not only putting all the 2 loss teams ahead of us but some 3 too. Guess the only game that matters is the last one.

We can put the Rose Bowl dream to bed and maybe New Years Day as well. What a joke.
Iowa and Wisconsin can at least say they beat us...PSU being ahead of us makes little sense.

If all projections are wrong and we end up lower than the Outback Bowl that will be a crock. There is no way Michigan should get a better bowl than the Gophers. If they end up in the Outback over the Gophs The U should riot.
Last edited by Handyman on Tue Dec 03 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 03 7:29 pm

MI and IA ahead of us and the ridiculous love for PSU at 10 is nuts. And, WI lost to Illinois, but they’re 10 spots better, sure. Just a reminder that this process is flawed and it’s not about this year, it’s about your total portfolio over the life of the committee. AL is still 11 having not beat a top 25 team. Okay...
JWG
[This space for rent]

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 03 7:30 pm

That seems pretty G D ridiculous.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 7:31 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Dec 03 7:29 pm
MI and IA ahead of us and the ridiculous love for PSU at 10 is nuts. And, WI lost to Illinois, but they’re 10 spots better, sure. Just a reminder that this process is flawed and it’s not about this year, it’s about your total portfolio over the life of the committee. AL is still 11 having not beat a top 25 team. Okay...
They figure the PSU win was a fluke, just like Illinois beating Wisconsin was a fluke. Wisconsin throttled us at home they should be ranked significantly better than us.

AL is all reputation and the fact that they started the year so high.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 7:41 pm

Whats crazy is if Wisconsin gets smoked by tOSU it all but guarantees Penn State jumps them and ends up in the Rose Bowl. They put Penn State at 10 for a reason. Same with Michigan...they moved up because they beat Notre Dame and the committee needs to keep the Fighting Irish at a certain level. Since the Irish got boatraced by Michigan you need to keep Michigan ahead of them.

There is literally no logic behind some of this. I mean Wisconsin jumps 4 spots beating us but we drop 10 losing to them? Oregon didnt drop that much when they lost to Arizona State.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Dec 03 7:45 pm

By committee logic, Iowa should be punished for barely beating Minnesota at home ;)

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 03 7:52 pm

As long as it doesn’t impact our real bowl position I don’t care. Put us in the Outback and I’m fine. Drop us further and that’s an intentional FU.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 7:53 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03 7:45 pm
By committee logic, Iowa should be punished for barely beating Minnesota at home ;)
By committee logic Alabama should be outside the Top 20 :shock: Michigan should have dropped 10 spots instead of 1 since they got prison raped by tOSU and Wisconsin!

At least Notre Dame can say they beat some ranked teams. Not sure any of them should have been ranked...but hey they cant control that.

The saving grace is that the committee has no say beyond the NY6. It is up to the Big Ten and the Bowls who goes where for the rest of them.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 7:55 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Dec 03 7:52 pm
As long as it doesn’t impact our real bowl position I don’t care. Put us in the Outback and I’m fine. Drop us further and that’s an intentional FU.
If we get dropped further that is the Big Ten giving us the finger. And it will totally screw over Indiana as well because we likely end up in the Gator which is where they should be going.

Ultimately what will save the Outback for us is Iowa and Michigan cant go.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Dec 03 7:59 pm

Would the big really screw over west co champs in favor of michigan? Yikes. Hope not. West co champ should mean more than sixth best team in conf

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 8:13 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Tue Dec 03 7:59 pm
Would the big really screw over west co champs in favor of michigan? Yikes. Hope not. West co champ should mean more than sixth best team in conf
It is going to depend on a few factors. Who gets the Rose Bowl and does the Orange take a Big Ten team over say Florida? The dominoes fall into place after that.

If Penn State doesnt get a NY6 bid the Gophs could be in trouble IN THEORY. (it isnt anywhere near as dire as people think) The Citrus cant take Penn State since they were in it last year. Citrus then should in theory select the Gophers. (5 years is long enough that it would barely be a conflict) They could however choose to select Iowa instead. Iowa hasnt been there in over a decade so no conflict exists. The Big Ten would be hard pressed to turn them down. That puts Penn State in the Outback and Michigan in the Holiday since they have no conflict there. Gophers go to the Gator Bowl then. (that is assuming the Big would prefer Penn State in the Outback because of their name)

Thing is I dont see it playing out that way. Penn State is ranked close enough that a loss by Wisconsin (especially a bad one) will vault PSU past Wisconsin and into the Rose Bowl. Wisconsin then goes to the Citrus (Citrus would be drooling at that possibility) and Outback takes the Gophers since Iowa and Michigan cant go there. Then Michigan gets Holiday, Iowa gets Gator (it has been 5 years since they went there) and Indiana ends up in say the Pinstripe Bowl. That puts value on the actual results and keeps conflicts to a minimum.

As I said before though I am an amateur at this so who knows. Gophers want Penn State to make a NY6.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Dec 03 8:28 pm

Someone on ghole thinks B10 loses citrus to acc if b10 gets Orange

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 03 8:38 pm

edit: Holy crap that is how it works.
wikipedia wrote:Since the formation of the CFP, the Citrus Bowl has a chance to occasionally host an ACC team, replacing the Big Ten representative. This will happen the years in which the Orange Bowl is not a CFP semi-final game and selects a Big Ten team to match against their ACC team.
Well then ultimately we still want the same. Penn State in the Rose, Sconnie in the Citrus. Anything else would put us at risk...although I still put the chances low.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Dec 04 11:21 am

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/12 ... p-rankings
Outback Bowl
Wednesday, January 1
1:00 ET, ESPN
Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL
Big Ten vs. SEC
Projection: Minnesota vs. Alabama

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by trixR4kids » Wed Dec 04 11:32 am

WE WANT BAMA :mrgreen:
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 52 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Dec 04 11:39 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Wed Dec 04 11:32 am
WE WANT BAMA :mrgreen:
Gonna run that all-tiime record to 2-0!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Dec 04 12:04 pm

That would certainly be PJ's chance to silence the critics that came out after the last game.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Dec 04 12:05 pm

If Bama doesn't end up in the NY6 or Citrus I'd be pretty shocked.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Dec 04 12:14 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 12:04 pm
That would certainly be PJ's chance to silence the critics that came out after the last game.
Hate to admit it, but since I moved to the Twin Cities in January 1982 (from Superior) I’d always liked Reusse’s story weaving ability as a sports writer. But steadily over the past 38 years, Patrick has evolved in his writings...into a bitter, caustic, flabby, wobbly caricature of a human being...I believe TROLL is the correct term. ☝️👺 🤠
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Wed Dec 04 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Dec 04 12:17 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Dec 04 12:05 pm
They’re not getting a New Years 6. They’re ranked too low and don’t have another game to climb back up. They’ll be in the Citrus or Outback. It will be interesting to see how many of their players actually play. It’s been a long time since they’ve been in the postseason without national title implications.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 12:23 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Dec 04 12:05 pm
Be prepared...Bama is not getting a NY6. Florida and Auburn will get one before them even if Georgia ends up in the CFP.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Dec 04 1:32 pm

I think we'll play in the Outback against Alabama, Auburn, Florida, or Tennessee. It seems that it would be Auburn or Tennessee to me, but bowl predicting is becoming its own sport.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 2:38 pm

If we play Auburn that puts Bama in the Gator...oh man I wouldnt want to be their opponent even if all the draft eligible players sit. Can you imagine being Indiana having to play that squad?

And yes the same holds true if we somehow play them as well. My dad would love it (he loves Alabama almost as much as the Gophers) but I would rather play Tennessee ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Dec 04 2:42 pm

Why would you rather play unranked Tennessee?
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Dec 04 2:50 pm

I think Alabama gets the Citrus Bowl ahead of Auburn. I don't think the Citrus passes the opporutnity to get the name Alabama if it's on the board.
That's why I think Outback gets Auburn. Auburn gets the MN treatment relative to our bowl history of yesteryear.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 3:42 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 2:42 pm
Why would you rather play unranked Tennessee?
Because a win will go down better than a loss. Honestly I would rather play A&M.

I dont need an offseason of the locals whining because we lost to Auburn or Alabama. I may think the SEC is ridiculously overrated but those teams are better than the Gophers right now. (and they should be)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Dec 04 3:51 pm

As long as you beat them. Lose to UT and you're gonna get a lot more whining than if a game against the powerhouses was kept respectable.
Loserville, USA

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 3:56 pm

JWG wrote:
Wed Dec 04 2:50 pm
I think Alabama gets the Citrus Bowl ahead of Auburn. I don't think the Citrus passes the opporutnity to get the name Alabama if it's on the board.
That's why I think Outback gets Auburn. Auburn gets the MN treatment relative to our bowl history of yesteryear.
I dont think so. Florida vs. Michigan was one of the best selling Citrus Bowls of the FBS era (behind another Florida Michigan matchup) so I think they take Florida (the SEC doesnt have the same rules we do) if they are available. If Florida gets a NY6 then you may be correct. (the NY6 confuses me with who they can and cannot take and so on)

If that is the case though and they bypass Auburn for Alabama then I think it cements Michigan doesnt jump and stays in the Holiday Bowl. Even though those games sell awesome I doubt they want a third matchup. Michigan won both so they cant even bill it as a rubber match. I dont see them taking us either because our matchup with Missouri is one of the worst attended ever.

There is a lot of scenarios out there which makes it fun. Ultimately after the Championship games are done we will be able to predict better. Upsets will throw this whole thing out of whack. The Committee though definitely made it easier for the NY6 Bowls with their rankings. I mean Oregon is a lock for the Rose if they lose because of their ranking (and their ranking is a joke they beat no one of consequence) and when Wisconsin loses the Rose avoids the "bunch" scenario because Penn State will be a Top 10 team with less losses so they get the bid. (which the Big Ten loves because that avoids a conflict in the Citrus)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 4:01 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 3:51 pm
As long as you beat them. Lose to UT and you're gonna get a lot more whining than if a game against the powerhouses was kept respectable.
Well yeah. If the choice was mine and all things were equal I would choose to face Bama and get to 2-0 against them ;) Since we live in a state filled with...well...YOU (especially in the media) I have to be a bit more pragmatic ;)

There is also the opposite idea that Bama or Auburn might be deflated facing us and with a bunch of talent sitting might just never be into it.

I prefer to lose to prestige than beat an equal...but I will have hope going into next season no matter how it plays out whereas most fans around here are looking for reasons to assume the opposite. Even a good showing against Bama will have the Eeyores telling us how it didnt matter and you know it. If I was the U I would want to avoid that.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Dec 04 4:22 pm

Best UT or lose to Bama by one yes you are gonna get people saying it was a year of lost opportunity that's just how it is.
Loserville, USA

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Dec 04 4:48 pm

FL is currently a top 10 CFP team, I think they get a NY6 bowl which pushes Alabama to the Citrus Bowl. Who knows, could be wrong, but assuming they stay where they are that'd be my guess.

Funny how a 10-2 Alabama team that lost to the only ranked teams they played sits at 11 but MN who is punished for only going 1-2 against the Top 25, gets dropped down to 18. I actually am not too afraid of Alabama given their injuries and the likelihood they have players sit out the bowl and we don't. Anyway, that 'bama love is what throws a monkey wrench into where they slot in a bowl.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Dec 04 5:55 pm

Not sure I'd say the Gophers don't have to worry about guys sitting out the bowl game.
TJ, CC, KM, AWJ all could be turning their sights to the NFL Draft.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 5:56 pm

I am not sure any of them will be drafted high enough for them to need to do so...but it is a brave new world out there now.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 5:58 pm

He and TJ were first team All Big Ten at WR.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Dec 04 6:31 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Dec 04 5:56 pm
I am not sure any of them will be drafted high enough for them to need to do so...but it is a brave new world out there now.
I could see AWJ and TJ being second day guys. It is a loaded WR draft this year which may jump TJ lower than he should go but still.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Wed Dec 04 7:28 pm

I think AWJ is a 3-5th round pick. TJ is probably upper 3rd given the draft depth. Who knows, we’ll see. I’d be surprised if they sat out a New Year’s Day bowl, their draft stock is far from set and another strong outing couldn’t hurt them.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 8:08 pm

Yeah agreed. Plus Winfield hasn't declared yet ;)

(he will)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Dec 04 8:11 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Dec 04 8:08 pm
Yeah agreed. Plus Winfield hasn't declared yet ;)

(he will)
I hope he stays but highly doubt he will. He's what 23? Only knock would be he got injuries but he will be a 4-5 giy

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 10:39 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Dec 04 5:58 pm

He and TJ were first team All Big Ten at WR.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 11:18 pm

Jerry Palm says Citrus vs. Bama...I think he is drunk ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Dec 04 11:59 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by YoungEagle » Thu Dec 05 8:57 am

I don’t care what their record is. Playing Alabama is a measuring stick and could be real interesting.
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist