Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 112 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Nov 30 6:24 pm

TJ could've gone pro and didn't and got to go on this ride, thank you!!! Martin, coughlin, #1 you put 6 years into this and all the other seniors thank you, enjoy a New Years Day Bowl for the 2nd time this decade after a generation of none...and in Florida where I live so I can go again!!!

Can't/won't expect this every year now, it doesn't work that way...8 wins a year is a great realistic goal with one of these years every 5...

PJ has the state's attention

GameDay couldn't have gone better, great job!!!

We're coming on...

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by sunbone » Sat Nov 30 6:38 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Nov 30 6:24 pm
TJ could've gone pro and didn't and got to go on this ride, thank you!!! Martin, coughlin, #1 you put 6 years into this and all the other seniors thank you, enjoy a New Years Day Bowl for the 2nd time this decade after a generation of none...and in Florida where I live so I can go again!!!

Can't/won't expect this every year now, it doesn't work that way...8 wins a year is a great realistic goal with one of these years every 5...

PJ has the state's attention

We're coming on...
Obviously disappointed in the outcome today. But couldn’t be more excited for the future of the program. They exceeded my expectations for this season and I see bigger things down the road. This has been the most enjoyable and entertaining Gopher football season of my lifetime. Looking forward to a New Year’s Day bowl game and more success next year! :M: :M2:

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 156 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 6:45 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Nov 30 6:24 pm

This. When was the last time MN had national exposure like this, AND the fans turned out in droves. I am kind of happy about the weather we had today, because it also showed that the fans didn't care, we're gonna still do this thing. Frankly, it was crappy out. Horrible rain/snow/wind, etc. They still showed up.

No it's not unique to us, but I bet some folks around the country are thinking, "Ok, that's pretty hard-core."
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

bearpaw28
Veteran
Been liked: 95 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Nov 30 6:46 pm

This year is clearly a building block, a step forward. Most likely going to the Outback Bowl on New Year’s Day in Tampa, FL isn’t the worst consolation prize in the world. ☝️They’ve had an outstanding season, despite a very, very disappointing loss today. PJ is on the right track. That’s what matters, MN 🏈 is no longer a freaking doormat. Hopefully in the next few years they advance to the Rose Bowl, it’s doable & realistic going forward, not just a bunch of hyperbole ☝️

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Sat Nov 30 6:51 pm

I am bitterly disappointed today because I still have a bad feeling I will never see a Rose Bowl :anger: but I can’t help but feel optimistic about this team going forward. This season was a huge success. I really think the culture is real. Beyond the on field success it sounds like the players are doing well in the classroom and in place of arrest reports we are seeing these players in hospitals encouraging kids. Lots to like and applaud for P.J. and his team.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Nov 30 7:17 pm

I’m bitterly disappointed today too☝️Hate those pompous Badger fans acting patronizing towards Gopher fans more than if they simply acted like the normal jerks we all know they are! But this bitterness doesn’t change 2019 being a tremendously successful season for the Gophers and super proud of the players & coaches!

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sat Nov 30 7:20 pm

Gosh what a depressing weekend. Volleyball is at penn, this could be a complete pasting this weekend.

Bummed it wasn’t a better game, we got outplayed everywhere. Was a really fun day, and a fun season.

But some of those badger fans, man. It’s like the farmers left their gates open and the cows got out.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 339 times

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 7:32 pm

Amazingly, Ghole is taking it pretty well. (grading on a curve since they are usually really crazy) I think they are blaming too much on the 4th and 2 (especially since we did force a fumble after that punt) but they are right that Chryst and Company outcoached Fleck and Co. today. No different than we outcoached them last year. They had a scheme, we had no counter. We banked on Coan not beating us and we lost.

Now the Bowl Game wait begins...but I dont see any way we dont end up in the Outback Bowl. Rose will be PSU, Wisconsin will go to the Citrus and we will go to the Outback. (assuming tOSU wins and LSU wins of course) Then Iowa and Michigan fight for the Holiday Bowl.

What helps us is Iowa cant make the Outback Bowl and the Big Ten wont want any repeats over new blood in that game. (according to their standards) Since Michigan has been there recently and they have 3 losses to the Gophers 2 it would look really bad if they went against their own policy and bumped Michigan up. If The Holiday Bowl selects Michigan and the Big Ten agrees...Iowa could end up anywhere. Thing is they have conflicts with every bowl BUT the Citrus and Holiday so they could be in trouble.

If the Big Ten took the "No Repeats" super serious...and if tOSU beats Wisconsin next week this is how it should probably work out:

CFP: tOSU
Rose: PSU
Citrus: Wisconsin (no conflicts as they havent been there in the last 6 years)
Outback: Gophers (no conflicts as they havent been there in the last 6 years)
Holiday: Iowa (no conflicts as they havent been there in the last 6 years)
Taxslayer: Michigan (no conflicts as they havent been there in the last 6 years)
No idea after that.

How I think it will actually go:

CFP: tOSU
Rose: PSU (better resume than Wisconsin, most likely jump the Gophers in the CFP meaning they get the bid)
Citrus: Wisconsin (get the tie breaker with Minnesota AND no conflict issue)
Outback: Gophers (never been there will have the third best resume)
Holiday: Michigan ((win the tie breaker with Iowa and have no conflict)
Taxslayer: Iowa (were there 5 years ago but no way Indiana jumps Iowa with the way they travel)

I know there will be some handwringing...and I am sure the local media trolls will pretend we get jumped but since we will still be a Top 15 CFP team we should be fine. We are pretty much locked in UNLESS we dont get a CFP entry then all hell breaks loose. Honestly, I think the only thing that changes our outcome is if for some reason the CFP still has us ahead of Penn State in which case I dont know how things play out. Since I doubt that happens it shouldnt matter. If it does though AND Wisconsin beats tOSU then OSU should still make the CFP but Wisconsin jumps everyone and goes to the Rose. Then Penn State and Minnesota flip (Penn State was in the Citrus last year) since PSU has no conflict with the Outback Bowl. Michigan could theoretically jump the Gophers but I doubt it since they were in the Citrus the year AFTER the Gophers were so their conflict is closer in relevance. It would be a huge cluster :shock:
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by streakygopher » Sat Nov 30 8:04 pm

I felt the Gophers were a little lucky to beat Penn State, the only good team they beat all year, and then they went 0-2 against hated rivals Iowa and Wisconsin. It was a huge year for the program just to end at 10-2, but they aren't elite just yet - not by any means. The Gophers' defense gives up way too many yards and points against good teams. Today, the offense was boring and almost completely outclassed....I think they get beat on the line on both sides of the ball (they did today for sure).

I'm hoping this season will garner some good recruits so that they can take that next step and we can enjoy this kind of success for a few years.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Nov 30 8:06 pm

Thanks for the analysis.
So what we really need is tOSU to curb stomp the BADgers. I can get behind that. 100%.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 9:17 pm

Man I am starting to REALLY love this guy.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 9:22 pm

That. Is. Classic. Awesome.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 9:30 pm

Its too bad tOSU didnt smoke Penn State like they should have...if so there would be a better chance the Gophers stay ranked higher than PSU and still have a shot at the Rose. It would take a minor miracle now.

Right now the smart money seems to be The Outback Bowl vs. Auburn or possibly Florida depending.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Nov 30 9:30 pm

A head coach that accepts responsibility and is encouraging of the program. Good on him. I continue to be all in on Fleck, dude gets it.

I have other thoughts from the game and being there, but wanna post that from my laptop. Too much to try and do on my phone
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 9:33 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sat Nov 30 9:30 pm
A head coach that accepts responsibility and is encouraging of the program. Good on him. I continue to be all in on Fleck, dude gets it.

I have other thoughts from the game and being there, but wanna post that from my laptop. Too much to try and do on my phone
Not only that, but calling out the Eeyores, doubters, and haters. Basically, "We don't need you." Awesome.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Nov 30 9:43 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 30 9:33 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
Sat Nov 30 9:30 pm

Not only that, but calling out the Eeyores, doubters, and haters. Basically, "We don't need you." Awesome.
That too, a literal, "get on the boat or get the eff off"
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 10:22 pm

But he didn't do it in a bitter way...just said that isn't us anymore and it's time to start believing. That is the difference between him and those who came before.

Now sure some media members will crap on him...so will some fans and that is fine. But the next time some one says "same Ole Gophers" I will ask them when Mason, Kill, Brewster or Wacker had us ranked this high this long this late in the season. The silence will be deafening.

I mean think about it...we are upset because a team that was picked to go nowhere ONLY finished tied for first in the division, won ten games, 7 conference games, likely ranked in the top 15 in the final regular season polls and will make a New Years Day Bowl. I know it sucks we lost and missed the Rose Bowl but good God I would have danced a jig if before the season someone told me that was how it would play out. This is better than Kill's Citrus Bowl year and I bet we follow it up better than Kill's team did as well.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 10:25 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Nov 30 10:22 pm
But he didn't do it in a bitter way...just said that isn't us anymore and it's time to start believing. That is the difference between him and those who came before.

Now sure some media members will crap on him...so will some fans and that is fine. But the next time some one says "same Ole Gophers" I will ask them when Mason, Kill, Brewster or Wacker had us ranked this high this long this late in the season. The silence will be deafening.

I mean think about it...we are upset because a team that was picked to go nowhere ONLY finished tied for first in the division, won ten games, 7 conference games, likely ranked in the top 15 in the final regular season polls and will make a New Years Day Bowl. I know it sucks we lost and missed the Rose Bowl but good God I would have danced a jig if before the season someone told me that was how it would play out. This is better than Kill's Citrus Bowl year and I bet we follow it up better than Kill's team did as well.
The B/U/I is my edit, and the most important part about Fleck.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Nov 30 10:38 pm

ok so here is my maybe longer winded post. The environment on campus was rocking and it was cool to be back in an area that was buzzing with that excitement. I know that even with this loss, this season is a success and we have a lot to build off of and to look forward to. I am excited to see where Gopher football is headed.

Here are my gripes, and it has NOTHING to do with the team.

First off, I bought these tickets in AUGUST, the day singles went on sale. Wife and I arrive, and our section (221) is flooded with students. Ok....so I show them our tickets because hey I legit have those two spots, go back and forth a little bit and they move over so we can sit. As time goes on, more and more folks who bought tickets show up and are getting into these conversations with the students about who should be where. I give credit to the students, they were nice in handling things, but they were positive that section 221 is part of the student section, which I believe as we were directly above the bottom section of students. So a guy goes to get security because his wife is pissed about all of this, and the guard comes and tells the students that if the folks who have an assigned spot show up, they have to surrender the spot over and find somewhere else to go, and that a student ticket isn't a guaranteed seat. Wait, what? So you as the school who wanted to pack the place full of students are now shitting on them? If 221 is meant for students, THEN DON'T SELL THOSE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC like many of us ran into. That is horrid execution on part of the athletic department. And sadly, this happened to me and a buddy the 2nd or 3rd year that the stadium opened up, but we rolled with it and didn't bother us. To me this felt like the department opened those spots up for sale because they had no faith in the students actually filling up their section. Instead, we got the clusterpuck of the nightmare we had to endure for half of the first quarter.

Speaking of those spots, we were Row 1, and I'm sure this happens when it rains, but it was just pools of water all along that wall line. Too late now, but should have had a drain and gutter system put in there. Yes yes, had boots and appropriate attire on, but come on, standing in standing water in a modern stadium is weak. Man, I am getting old if I am bitching about this, lol.

The concourse traffic sucks too (another old man pissing I guess) too many vendors by the stands side that disrupts the flow of traffic. Is what it is, but Jesus that was rough to try and shuffle through. But meh, its the least of my concerns.

Oh, I dig the state fair parking lot. The shuttle system is sweet and totally worth saving the money to do that lot than dealing with the nightmare of being so on top of the stadium traffic.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Nov 30 10:44 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Nov 30 10:22 pm

as Fleck said, this was a year of firsts and breaking records too. I'm annoyed we lost the axe, but that doesn't define the season. I'm so excited to see more of how this all pans out on getting us more national recognition and access to recruits. Look forward to which NYD bowl game we wind up with and which opponent we get. Someone else said Florida or Bama, which I would love to see the Gophers take it to a SEC team.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Nov 30 10:51 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Nov 30 9:17 pm

Dude's got a way with words. And it feels real. It doesn't feel like a Brewster used car salesman type.

As disappointing as today was, I've never been more optimistic about Gopher football.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat Nov 30 11:12 pm

Yeah, that game was a kick in the nuts. Didn't help that I was in a bar in Wisconsin as the final seconds ticked off the clock. Oh well kick butt in whatever bowl you get into.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sat Nov 30 11:16 pm

To the comment about the crowded concourse- it was actually dangerous near us at halftime. Our section is near concessions and a beer stand and people were pushing and you couldn’t stop it. I’ve never had that happen like that even at other busy games. I agree maybe it’s where the side vendors are but it was certainly dicey for elderly or kids for a bit there

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sat Nov 30 11:20 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sat Nov 30 11:16 pm
To the comment about the crowded concourse- it was actually dangerous near us at halftime. Our section is near concessions and a beer stand and people were pushing and you couldn’t stop it. I’ve never had that happen like that even at other busy games. I agree maybe it’s where the side vendors are but it was certainly dicey for elderly or kids for a bit there
Saw an older guy nearly get into a fight with a younger guy, saying if he was continue being a dick then he was going to be a dick that was laid out on the ground. It reminded me in some spots like being in a general admission concert, that many people in one small area is just a recipe for disaster.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Nov 30 11:51 pm

Here's my thoughts from attending the festivities today:
- Gameday was cool. Got down there around 830. Stayed until the end. Great showcase for the school and the fans. Hope it helps recruiting.
- Vibe in the stadium was a little off the start the game. Penn St it felt like we weren't expected to win and it was crazy we came out flying. Even with the early TD, it didn't reach levels of that game early on.
- It did feel like the 4th and 2 early on set the tone for the game. We could have pounced on them. Instead we retreated and they started to take over from there.
- Their D backs played by the same rules the Seahawks do in the NFL. They grab and hold every play and dare the refs to throw flags all the time. Eventually, the refs set a different standard and don't throw the flags.
- Morgan started to get happy feet like Cousins did last year a lot. Panicked when no one was around and didn't know what to do when someone was around. Injuries to our OL really killed us.
- The elements didn't help either. We haven't been running the ball well for a few weeks and the passing was just a bit off. That was a combo of weather, play, and refs.
- Defense did not know what was happening to them. That felt like a kitchen sink game from Wisconsin. Pulled out all the tricks they could think of. Only thing missing was the Philly Special. There were so many plays our defensive players were running around not knowing where the ball was. They started thinking instead of playing.
- Wisconsin took advantage of their mismatches. Good on them to scheme it up. RB on a DE. WR on a LB. Both for long TDs.
- 10-2 is a great season. Sucks to lose to both our rivals. Would have been nice to get one of those. I'll still take a Jan 1 bowl game with the possibility of being even better next year.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 1:13 am

According to Bob Sansevere the Penn State game wasnt program altering. Wasnt that what everyone was saying before the game...that if we beat Penn State it will be a program altering win? Then we do...and it isnt?

It never ceases to amaze me how the locals whether writers or fans will move the goalpost to fit their negative agenda. If we had won today the Rose Bowl would have been downplayed because it doesnt have the same allure it used to.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Dec 01 5:55 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun Dec 01 1:13 am
According to Bob Sansevere the Penn State game wasnt program altering. Wasnt that what everyone was saying before the game...that if we beat Penn State it will be a program altering win? Then we do...and it isnt?

It never ceases to amaze me how the locals whether writers or fans will move the goalpost to fit their negative agenda. If we had won today the Rose Bowl would have been downplayed because it doesnt have the same allure it used to.
Sansevere’s a has been (like every other relic still babbling on the KQ Morning show) his opinion is absolutely meaningless. Well...it does mean the equivalent of Jack-Squat ☝️🏈

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Dec 01 7:17 am

I love this team, I love PJ, I absolutely loved this season (and we still have one more game!) Seriously - we were picked by 'experts' to finish 6th in the West, and then on the final week of the regular season we're 1) hosting Gameday, 2) playing a game to determine if we represent the West in the B1G Championship game, and even MORE INSANELY, 3) we're in the mix for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?! Are you kidding me?

Love this team, love this coach, I'm grabbing an oar. Anyone can row when the water is calm. True fans are grabbing one right now.

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Sun Dec 01 7:39 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Sun Dec 01 7:17 am
I love this team, I love PJ, I absolutely loved this season (and we still have one more game!) Seriously - we were picked by 'experts' to finish 6th in the West, and then on the final week of the regular season we're 1) hosting Gameday, 2) playing a game to determine if we represent the West in the B1G Championship game, and even MORE INSANELY, 3) we're in the mix for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?! Are you kidding me?

Love this team, love this coach, I'm grabbing an oar. Anyone can row when the water is calm. True fans are grabbing one right now.
I am with you, only this morning a shovel is going to have to substitute for the oar.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 162 times

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 01 8:30 am

What do you know... the sun still came up today (well, the sky still returned to shades of gray today).
JWG
[This space for rent]

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Dec 01 8:52 am

I agree on the badger d back comments. What’s hilarious is one of the dummy badger fans behind me screamed “finally” when we got called for the PI

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Dec 01 9:56 am

team22tank wrote:
Sat Nov 30 11:29 am
Handyman wrote:
Sat Nov 30 11:27 am
I dont think we need another Goldy on IR :lol:
I’ll never forget when he did it at Mariucci in the mid 90s. Wasn’t able to catch the rail before the final 10 rows or so.

Monster thud against the boards and his head popped off.
This happened right in front of me. He picked his head up and his eyes were not pointing on the right direction. He took that hit hard.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 10:59 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Sun Dec 01 5:55 am
Handyman wrote:
Sun Dec 01 1:13 am

Sansevere’s a has been (like every other relic still babbling on the KQ Morning show) his opinion is absolutely meaningless. Well...it does mean the equivalent of Jack-Squat ☝️🏈
I honestly didn't know he was still around :shock:

He wont be alone in moving the goal posts.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by F Da Sue » Sun Dec 01 11:01 am

Just saw that Sullivan from Eden Prairie committed to Iowa last week. Sorry if I missed it but anyone know if we had any shot at him?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 11:08 am

I don't remember much hub bub when he committed so I don't know how hard we went after him.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Sun Dec 01 11:09 am

No way out of this one with the running game completely stymied. It seemed they had our playbook for all the runs. If we went to a side they had it bottled up, middle was completely filled if we went there. They had us dead every time.
Fleck made a comment in his game day interview on the mall that the Seniors helped recruit some of the talent. Interesting comment, since it seemed we had more talent this year. And Wisc seems to be on another level.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 01 11:13 am

Handyman wrote:
Sat Nov 30 9:17 pm

If you didn’t watch or listen to this you need to. I make a point to listen to all of his press conferences, but this one was important for all of us. He’s right and we need to believe he’s right and help make him right. It takes a village and we should all want to be in his. Both on and off the field. It’s time for MN to commit.

We’re all disappointed because we ONLY are going to get a New Years Day Bowl, but not a NY6 bowl. That’s where we are. So cool.
JWG
[This space for rent]

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 370 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Dec 01 1:18 pm

I heard the premise more than once today that asked the question, what happens if they never get this far again? I tried to answer it. I failed.

The question going forward is what's good enough? He's surpassed Mason already in my eyes. I don't think that's a leap. High School coaches like him. He has as much buy in from the media as detraction. That's more than Mason ever had. And he actually believes in all around football. Mason never believed in that either.

So, what's going to be good enough?

Let's say he stays here 10 years. Let's assume the police blotter stays empty (thank God for that if it happens) and the graduation rate stays at the height it is at right now, maybe higher.

Now let's say this year was the high water mark on the football field. They never get to the Big 10 title game. They never sniff the final four again. Is that going to be enough? Yes, I submit they will get the axe some more, and maybe they even win in Iowa again. But, what if the Outback Bowl is it. What if this is the high water mark.

Will that be good enough?

To be honest. I can't answer that question today. The answer in my head should be a big fat yes. Because having winning records, winning trophy games that involve a rivalry instead of just a prayer is all anyone dared dream. But, the sniff of more is too intoxicating and too crushing at the same time.

So, what is going to be good enough? I don't know right now. I'm not sure anyone knows.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 2:07 pm

If we are 8-10 wins every year and compete for the West Title most years that will be enough in my opinion. If Outback/Citrus is the norm that means we are a Top 25 team most years and if that isn't good enough Im not sure what is. That is what Iowa/Wisconsin are.

If this is an exception a one shot deal or rare occurance...then sooner or later it won't be enough. That would be Mason-like.

Schedules change as well...

We won't know until the future but if 4 years from now this is just a blip on the radar my opinion will sour. Since next year we should win 9-10 again though in not super worried.

Good question Scoob :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Dec 01 3:54 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Dec 01 2:07 pm
If we are 8-10 wins every year and compete for the West Title most years that will be enough in my opinion. If Outback/Citrus is the norm that means we are a Top 25 team most years and if that isn't good enough Im not sure what is. That is what Iowa/Wisconsin are.

If this is an exception a one shot deal or rare occurance...then sooner or later it won't be enough. That would be Mason-like
Being what Wisconsin has been last 25 years...that’s the GOAL. Being what Iowa has been the last 20 years, that’s the minimum reasonable expectation. Both are achievable with PJ, that’s what this year has convinced me of ☝️And clearly PJ’s goals for this team & program are to exceed what Wisconsin has achieved. That’s why he’s a winning coach, he sets high goals, but they’re not just BS. And he’s willing to work HARD to achieve these goals & expects his assistant coaches and players to work HARD to achieve these goals! Row the Boat, SkiUMah! Go Gophers 👍

Greyeagle
Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Dec 01 4:55 pm

15 in AP and coaches polls.
Seems about right.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Neely
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Neely » Sun Dec 01 5:04 pm

I've been a Badger football fan my whole life but was cheering for the Gophers today. (I'm actually Gopher hockey fan because I didn't know hockey existed til I moved here) As a Badger fan I can say, without bias, that I truly felt the non-PI call(s) when the Gophers were down 14 was impactful. Not sure it changes the end result but I do believe it changed the momentum.

The BADgers will get trashed by tOSU and won't get the Rose Bowl. If the Gophers win they get beat as well but would get the Rose Bowl bid and that would have been great for the program. I personally don't like Fleck's "schtick" but it's likely due to the fact I'm not a die hard Gopher fan. If I were I would likely be all in. I hope the trend continues and the Gopher football program continues to grow. It makes it more exciting for the school and, let's be honest, it helps the entire athletic department (and one can dream they don't continue to fleece us hockey fans).

So, go Gophers. I won't be Rowing the Boat but I'll certainly be happy to stand on shore and cheer from there.
I know what I know. I know what I don't know. But I don't know what I don't know.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Dec 01 5:25 pm

Since 2000 Iowa has been to the Rose Bowl once. Wisconsin 4 times (and in 99 as well so almost 5).

To be Iowa they need to at least get to the Rose Bowl under Fleck. To Be Wisconsin they need to make it a habit.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 5:28 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sun Dec 01 4:55 pm
15 in AP and coaches polls.
Seems about right.
Yep. I don't think anyone would have guessed that going into the year and finishing the regular season in the Top 15 beats all coaches in my Ludwig I gotta think.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 5:31 pm

Taken from a poster on Ghole:

CollegeFootballNews: Citrus vs Auburn
CBS Sports: Outback vs Florida
ESPN (Bonagura): Outback vs. Tennessee
ESPN (Schlabach): Outback vs Tennessee
247Sports: Citrus vs. Auburn
SportingNews: Outback vs Auburn
USA Today: Outback vs Texas A&M

Somewhere a man from Fulda is writing about us going to the Pinstripe Bowl ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Dec 01 7:22 pm

So SEC no matter what
Currently under construction.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Dec 01 7:24 pm

And then there’s the Michigan podcast guy who thinks we s have a shot at the Rose :) just read Ghole

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 8:21 pm

There are a few but it would be kind of strange. I don't see a way we outrank PSU in the final rankings especially since neither of us have a game left. It could happen but not likely.

The Rose could go Rogue but I don't see that happening. Of course since it would cost me money you never know ;) :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Dec 01 9:15 pm

I'm ok with Tampa. A little warmer than Pasadena, a little cheaper than Pasadena, stadium is close to the airport... I'm on board.
Now, if they somehow still shock their way into Pasadena, I can be ok with it :D
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Dec 01 10:12 pm

Oh I will be more than happy to back into the Rose...i will be in Vegas to the 26th so just switch the tickets and drive out and back :)

Can't do Tampa but I'm guessing lots of Snow Birds will have no issue going. Although my aunt has a second home about an hour away...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

midevil bowievil
Veteran
Been liked: 2 times

Post by midevil bowievil » Sun Dec 01 11:55 pm

Going to a bowl game in the south is an improvement I guess. But for what's supposed to be such a great season the fact that the Gophers don't have the ax, pig, or jug, is a really big disappointment.

The Iowa game was brutal. The popcorn skunk game was brutal. Their qb faced no adversity, ours was scared all day. Fleck's defense seemed surprised many times. Not a good job adjusting at any point. The longer that Wisco game went, the worse it was.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 01 11:57 pm

So let's say the Gophers went 10-2, but lost to SDSU and Northwestern.

What would the opinions be? It's not like they lost to bad teams......

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 1:02 am

That is a bad example because they would have won the West then. (1 conference loss) That would be a demonstrably better season. With 3 victories over Top 15 teams they also would be ranked high enough to be in the Rose Bowl...the bad losses though would have killed any chance at being anywhere near the CFP discussion. Now if you said they lost to NW and Wisconsin...that is a MUCH better example because then they still lose the West and instead of two losses where they were underdogs they have 1 expected loss at home and one bad loss on the road. In that case I would rather have the Iowa loss...

The Gophers showed they were a very good but not great team. They went 1-2 against the teams that they were supposed to lose to. (to be great you have to win those games...right Alabama) Would I prefer that the PSU win had been flipped with Iowa or Wisconsin...yes of course because I would rather beat the rival but at the same time that PSU game put the Gophers on the map nationally in a way winning at Iowa would not have. Beating a rival is big locally...beating a national brand school on National TV is big EVERYWHERE. Not to mention there is zero momentum with an early loss...people only cared because the Gophers got to 8-0 like they were supposed to. If they lose to one of the "cupcakes" everyone still spends the season wondering "what if".

There are two viewpoints, and neither is necessarily right or wrong. 1 is the season is a disappointment because we lost to the two rivals and a win against either of them changes everything. The other is that our overall resume is better than a lot of name brand squads (like say Alabama who beat no one of consequence or Michigan) and because of that we got more positive coverage locally and nationally than we have in the almost 40 years I have watched this team so you can take the good with the bad.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Dec 02 1:09 am

That's kinda my point. 10-2, losing to GOOD teams...don't hang your head. That is a massive step forward.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Dec 02 5:00 am

gopherguy13 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 5:59 pm
Sat Nov 30 5:56 pm
I thought the Rose Bowl was free to choose whomever they wanted?
If the B1G champion is in the CFP, then yes they can pick whoever they want.

Edit: from the source
Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.
Here's why I believe the Gophers will be in the Rose Bowl this year (hear/read me out):

WHY do you think that caveat was written? A: it's for situations PRECISELY like the one in play now (assuming WI loses to aOSU). There will be a 'cluster' of teams after next weekend. Keep in mind - there didn't *need* to be a caveat, but it works decisively in our favor for the following reasons: 1) national interest is there (PJ Fleck story, Casey's story, et al) - it will move the needle for them media-wise in a non-CFP hosting year; 2) the big one = $$$. The Rose Bowl committee is absolutely weighing the likelihood of Minny ever getting back to this 'cluster' level again (nothing is guaranteed), and this caveat gives them a clean opportunity to milk our long-suffering fans for mucho dinero. In short, the potential revenue with MN going to the Rose Bowl is way too high to simply brush aside, and the caveat provides them with the tool to make it happen. This is *exactly* why the caveat was put into place = to give the RB committee options and not to merely select the 'best' team. The caveat is there to help them soak up that sweet, sweet revenue.

The only way we *don't* get a Rose Bowl bid -- WI upsets aOSU.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 228 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 7:49 am

Mon Dec 02 5:00 am
gopherguy13 wrote:

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.
Here's why I believe the Gophers will be in the Rose Bowl this year (hear/read me out):

WHY do you think that caveat was written? A: it's for situations PRECISELY like the one in play now (assuming WI loses to aOSU). There will be a 'cluster' of teams after next weekend. Keep in mind - there didn't *need* to be a caveat, but it works decisively in our favor for the following reasons: 1) national interest is there (PJ Fleck story, Casey's story, et al) - it will move the needle for them media-wise in a non-CFP hosting year; 2) the big one = $$$. The Rose Bowl committee is absolutely weighing the likelihood of Minny ever getting back to this 'cluster' level again (nothing is guaranteed), and this caveat gives them a clean opportunity to milk our long-suffering fans for mucho dinero. In short, the potential revenue with MN going to the Rose Bowl is way too high to simply brush aside, and the caveat provides them with the tool to make it happen. This is *exactly* why the caveat was put into place = to give the RB committee options and not to merely select the 'best' team. The caveat is there to help them soak up that sweet, sweet revenue.

This was kinda my thought process when I read the caveat.
I don't EXPECT the Rose Bowl to pick Minnesota but it wouldn't be overly shocking. They have a head-to-head win over Penn State if they are looking between PSU and Minnesota. Plus with PJ and the Casey O'Brien stories. Penn State was there in 2017 too (2016 season).
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Dec 02 7:51 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 02 1:09 am
That's kinda my point. 10-2, losing to GOOD teams...don't hang your head. That is a massive step forward.
That's not in dispute. What is in dispute is IF this is the high water mark is that good enough?

I have been unable to answer that question.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Dec 02 8:19 am

Mon Dec 02 5:00 am
gopherguy13 wrote:

Totally agree. Still holding out a slim hope that a Pasadena trip is possible. No expectation, however, but would certainly be overjoyed if we made the trip. And the Rose Bowl folks would be smiling all the way to the bank.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by george » Mon Dec 02 9:05 am

If they DO get to Pasadena, my son and I will go. Still trying to decide about Tampa or Orlando. Kid wants to go regardless.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by george » Mon Dec 02 9:36 am

Regarding extremeninja's comments, my son attended with a buddy who has student season tix. The friend bought 2 buddy tickets, one for his younger brother and one for my son. I suspect they sold a crap ton of buddy tickets and overwhelmed the student section capacity, leading to students trying to find other seats. They ran out of wristbands for students leading to more hassles.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 10:27 am

I'd love to think it's possible, but I just don't see a Rose Bowl this season. We'll be the 4th ranked B1G team in the CFP:
1) OSU 2) WI /. PSU 3) PSU/WI 4) MN

To me that's just too far down to over come (maybe if we were 3rd). I think it will be:
OSU to CFP, PSU to Rose, WI to Citrus, and MN to Outback.

The wild card here is if the Rose takes WI. PSU can't really go back to Citrus (was just there last year), so that's where things get interesting. They could go to the Outback Bowl (haven't been this cycle). Which could pull MN back to the Citrus. I don't think Citrus would take Michigan over us (MI was there the year after us). They have to take a B1G team so if WI is off the table and it can't really be PSU, then it's us or Iowa. That could mean:
OSU to CFP, WI to Rose, MN/Iowa to Citrus, PSU to Outback. I "think" in this secnario we go back to Citrus because technically we can, but you never know. If we fell to the Holiday Bowl in this scenario I'd be pissed (don't think it will happen).

Given the love the CFP has had for PSU, it's also possible they could still get taken by a NY6 bowl and if not Rose then Orange. Then we're hopefully in the Citrus as a repeat vs. Iowa jumping that high or MI getting to go back sooner than us.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Dec 02 10:42 am

JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:27 am
I'd love to think it's possible, but I just don't see a Rose Bowl this season. We'll be the 4th ranked B1G team in the CFP:

To me that's just too far down to over come (maybe if we were 3rd). I think it will be:

The wild card here is if the Rose takes WI. PSU can't really go back to Citrus (was just there last year), so that's where things get interesting. They could go to the Outback Bowl (haven't been this cycle). Which could pull MN back to the Citrus. I don't think Citrus would take Michigan over us (MI was there the year after us). They have to take a B1G team so if WI is off the table and it can't really be PSU, then it's us or Iowa. That could mean:
OSU to CFP, WI to Rose, MN/Iowa to Citrus, PSU to Outback. I "think" in this secnario we go back to Citrus because technically we can, but you never know. If we fell to the Holiday Bowl in this scenario I'd be pissed (don't think it will happen).

Given the love the CFP has had for PSU, it's also possible they could still get taken by a NY6 bowl and if not Rose then Orange. Then we're hopefully in the Citrus as a repeat vs. Iowa jumping that high or MI getting to go back sooner than us.
PSU didn’t even win their division. We can hang our hats on being CO-West division winners. We just lost the tie-breaker. PSU would be a distant fourth in your rankings. It’s between us and WI. And we’d have one less loss and zero losses to non top-15 ranked teams. WI has the stench of a Illinois choke job on them.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Dec 02 10:48 am

george wrote:
Mon Dec 02 9:36 am
Regarding extremeninja's comments, my son attended with a buddy who has student season tix. The friend bought 2 buddy tickets, one for his younger brother and one for my son. I suspect they sold a crap ton of buddy tickets and overwhelmed the student section capacity, leading to students trying to find other seats. They ran out of wristbands for students leading to more hassles.
I'm all for trying to get the place packed, but then that is poor execution on the athletic department. Wanna do buddy tickets fine, but have your designated sections blocked off for the students only and then depending on how many are sold, you add that many more to the buddy ticket pool. Say the student sections can hold a total of 5k students, but only 3k are sold, then you open up 2k buddy tix and single student tix, once those are all sold, then that's it. And then to avoid the general public, just dont sell those sections as an option to us. The students I talked to were pretty adamant that the area we were in had always been for students, which I have no reason to believe it isnt, we shouldn't have been there in the first place along with the other 50 or so people that got wrapped up in the confusion of it all.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 10:51 am

Mon Dec 02 10:42 am
JWG wrote:

PSU didn’t even win their division. We can hang our hats on being CO-West division winners. We just lost the tie-breaker. PSU would be a distant fourth in your rankings. It’s between us and WI. And we’d have one less loss and zero losses to non top-15 ranked teams. WI has the stench of a Illinois choke job on them.
PSU will be above us in the next CFP. We were 8 and 10, we lost and they won. We will flip and WI will jump us after their win. We will be 4th in the CFP rankings as far as B1G teams go. If OSU blasts WI, I can see a 2 loss PSU jumping a 3 loss WI. MAYBE there's hope we jump WI again, too (though I think it's unlikely).
JWG
[This space for rent]

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by solar » Mon Dec 02 11:31 am

I think we could see a big bottleneck of B1G teams at #9, #10 and #11 in the CFP rankings. I am not so sure PSU moves up the rankings (maybe even down one step) after a lackluster game against "lowly" Rutgers.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Dec 02 11:34 am

JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:51 am
JWG wrote:

PSU will be above us in the next CFP. We were 8 and 10, we lost and they won. We will flip and WI will jump us after their win. We will be 4th in the CFP rankings as far as B1G teams go. If OSU blasts WI, I can see a 2 loss PSU jumping a 3 loss WI. MAYBE there's hope we jump WI again, too (though I think it's unlikely).
I don't think the CFP ranking means that much to them when the teams are this close, PSU has recently played there and the Gophers beat them.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.
Currently under construction.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 11:40 am

JWG wrote:
JWG wrote:

Penn State didn't exactly look like a team that should move up on Saturday. 81 passing yards against 2-10 (0-9) Rutgers?
Hell it was 13-3 going into the 4th quarter, then Rutgers cut it to 13-6 in the fourth before PSU rolled a couple late touchdowns.
The 21 point loss was the closest game Rutgers played in conference.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 11:46 am

JWG wrote:

The Rose doesnt care if Penn State won their division. They also dont care that Wisconsin has the Illinois choke job because they beat us and are playing for the Big Ten Title. You are reaching...and not even that well. Hanging our hats on being co-champs is cool for us, but kind of pathetic at the same time.

Even if you assume the Rose cares about the division, they are then taking Wisconsin over us. Wisconsin is also co-champs...except they hold the tie breaker so for all intents and purposes they are the champs and we are second place. The Rose Bowl isnt going to take us just because we were a good story especially when name brand schools that buy lots and lots of tickets and have a proven track record of bringing in viewers are there with equal claim to the trip.

It isnt impossible, and there is nothing wrong with thinking there is a chance but you should also acknowledge that the chance is probably 1% at best. If in the next CFP rankings Penn State is ahead of Wisconsin and the Gophers I would say the odds drop even farther. The Gophers didnt do enough to earn the trip and the Rose isnt just going to hand it to them...mainly cause they dont have to.

The Outback Bowl makes the most sense and causes the least amount of headaches for conflicts. That is what the Big Ten is going to push for.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Dec 02 11:51 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:46 am
JWG wrote:

The Rose doesnt care if Penn State won their division. They also dont care that Wisconsin has the Illinois choke job because they beat us and are playing for the Big Ten Title. You are reaching...and not even that well. Hanging our hats on being co-champs is cool for us, but kind of pathetic at the same time.

Even if you assume the Rose cares about the division, they are then taking Wisconsin over us. Wisconsin is also co-champs...except they hold the tie breaker so for all intents and purposes they are the champs and we are second place. The Rose Bowl isnt going to take us just because we were a good story especially when name brand schools that buy lots and lots of tickets and have a proven track record of bringing in viewers are there with equal claim to the trip.

It isnt impossible, and there is nothing wrong with thinking there is a chance but you should also acknowledge that the chance is probably 1% at best. If in the next CFP rankings Penn State is ahead of Wisconsin and the Gophers I would say the odds drop even farther. The Gophers didnt do enough to earn the trip and the Rose isnt just going to hand it to them...mainly cause they dont have to.

The Outback Bowl makes the most sense and causes the least amount of headaches for conflicts. That is what the Big Ten is going to push for.
Disagree with your 1% hot dish take. :) The caveat -by design- throws all rankings out the window. So it doesn’t matter where who falls where in the [brand] ranking.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 11:54 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:40 am
JWG wrote:
JWG wrote:

Penn State didn't exactly look like a team that should move up on Saturday. 81 passing yards against 2-10 (0-9) Rutgers?
Hell it was 13-3 going into the 4th quarter, then Rutgers cut it to 13-6 in the fourth before PSU rolled a couple late touchdowns.
So then why wouldnt they take Wisconsin? Wisconsin has the same record as us and beat us. Even if Wisconsin loses badly next weekend it would seem kind of crappy if they were punished because they played an extra game for winning their division.

The ultimate problem the Gophers have is every argument people can use to put them in can be used to put someone else in above them. All they have is "The Story". So it comes down to whether The Rose Bowl cares enough about "The Story" to move them up. I would bet against it.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 11:54 am

Well, WI could beat OSU and really screw things up. But maybe not. In that case then I think:
WI to Rose, OSU to Orange, MN to Citrus, PSU to Outback.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 11:58 am

Mon Dec 02 11:51 am
Handyman wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:46 am
JWG wrote:

Disagree with your 1% hot dish take. :) The caveat -by design- throws all rankings out the window. So it doesn’t matter where who falls where in the [brand] ranking.
The caveat is in there so they can choose a name school over a second tier squad. The point of it is if say Indiana, NW and Michigan are clustered The Rose can choose Michigan since they will deem it the best matchup. The rule gives them an out to screw schools like the Gophers not help them.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 12:01 pm

JWG wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:54 am
Well, WI could beat OSU and really screw things up. But maybe not. In that case then I think:
WI to Rose, OSU to Orange, MN to Citrus, PSU to Outback.
Not a chance. tOSU will be in the CFP even with a loss. tOSU, LSU and Clemson are locks. The last spot is between Utah and Oklahoma.

Georgia will be out if they lose to LSU (if they beat LSU both make it) Bama is already dead and no one else is really in the conversation.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Dec 02 12:37 pm

You contradict yourself because the last spot is between Utah, OK, and GA then.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 1:57 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:54 am
Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 11:40 am
JWG wrote:
JWG wrote:

So then why wouldnt they take Wisconsin? Wisconsin has the same record as us and beat us. Even if Wisconsin loses badly next weekend it would seem kind of crappy if they were punished because they played an extra game for winning their division.

The ultimate problem the Gophers have is every argument people can use to put them in can be used to put someone else in above them. All they have is "The Story". So it comes down to whether The Rose Bowl cares enough about "The Story" to move them up. I would bet against it.
3-loss Wisconsin with potentially 2 30+ point losses.
You can say "you can't punish a team because they played an extra game for winning the division" but it happens in the CFP all the time. Georgia is currently #4 and SEC East champ. If they lose in the SEC title game they're out of the CFP. So whether it is fair or not, it matters in some cases. If Sconnie loses 63-7 to Ohio State is that really a team that the Rose Bowl will say YEAH LET'S BRING THEM!!!?