Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by D2D » Wed Nov 13 1:42 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Nov 13 12:35 pm
The question is, and please don't take this as an attack of any kind, if the Gophers lose on Saturday do you write the season off or do you enjoy the rest of the ride? I ask because my big complaint about fans in this town is that their big way to not deal with success is to over-inflate expectations at the first sign of success so that way when it doesn't reach their expectations they can jump off the bandwagon.
Let's hope that the team under PJ's leadership is not riding the same emotional roller coaster as "the fans in this town" typically exhibit, as you correctly point out.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Wed Nov 13 1:49 pm

I respectfully disagree with Handy. The REAL question is this:

If Minnesota wins the B1G title game against PSU, should the band play the Battle Hymn of the Republic with the fans doing the SWEEP chant?

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Nov 13 2:07 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Nov 13 1:42 pm
Handyman wrote:
The question is, and please don't take this as an attack of any kind, if the Gophers lose on Saturday do you write the season off or do you enjoy the rest of the ride? I ask because my big complaint about fans in this town is that their big way to not deal with success is to over-inflate expectations at the first sign of success so that way when it doesn't reach their expectations they can jump off the bandwagon.
Let's hope that the team under PJ's leadership is not riding the same emotional roller coaster as "the fans in this town" typically exhibit, as you correctly point out.
People with this attitude are dumbasses who should be avoided in everyday life. Problem solved.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Wed Nov 13 2:12 pm

D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I am not worried about the team...I think they believe they can win every game. Hell if they lose this Saturday I think they will put up 60 on NW unlike previous Gopher teams. Since the last season they look like a different team both in style and attitude.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by D2D » Wed Nov 13 2:15 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2:07 pm
D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:
People with this attitude are dumbasses who should be avoided in everyday life. Problem solved.
To do this successfully you would have to lock yourself up, or move. Oh and don't read anything sports-related or listen to KFAN. :wink:
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Nov 13 2:24 pm

D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I think Coach Fleck and the boys will be just fine. The Championship week approach is brilliant. The post game video after the State Penn game says it all. The players don't look as though they feel they're anywhere near their destination.

Sure hope there were lots of recruits at the game last Saturday.

Row The Boat. :dup:

Plus Kamal Harris should be back in the lineup on Saturday. :club:

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Nov 13 2:28 pm

I think the team has bought into the 0-0 in the Iowa season. I would if I played for Fleck. They have nothing to gain by doing otherwise. Go get the pig. We'll all worry about what happens after that, after that. At this point the coach has proven his mettle, and signed another contract. There is no reason to waste any time worrying about anything other than the next game. This was the dream and it is here. I'm going to enjoy it.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 279 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Nov 13 2:35 pm

This is elite

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by solar » Wed Nov 13 2:40 pm

Kamal Martin being available for Saturday will be nice. Sori-Marin has also done a good job stepping up and filling in for him.

* edited to fix an absolutely awesome mis-type. :oops: :dance:
Last edited by solar on Thu Nov 14 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by minnhkyruls » Wed Nov 13 2:42 pm

I love the fact the that teams are supposed to get better as the season goes on......and we are. It was clear last year the "team" bought into something (I assume RTB, Fleck himself, both) and our defense is playing better every week. I believe we can win out, but you still have to play the games and for the first time in forever teams are going to give us everything they have, especially Iowa and the big red menace. Hard to believe sconnie and Iowa are in a position to be OUR spoiler. No matter what happens beat the BADgers!!

I spent a good portion of my 20's in Army barracks on Saturday mornings watching college football with Soldiers from around the US. I got my first taste of how passionate SEC fans were when a few buddies could recite every win Tenn, Bama, LSU ... SEC had and their QB, coach, coaching tree, recruits that got hurt "but could have", it was pretty impressive. I could tell it was part of their DNA. I have always loved MN sports, but they seemed on a different level of passion. The closest I could compare to that is the love for the MN high school hockey tourny and Gopher hockey. I have been thinking of that since about week 5 and how my almost lust for Saturday game time has been different this year. Anyway, go Gophers!!!!!

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Nov 13 3:03 pm

solar wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2:40 pm
Kamal Harris being available for Saturday will be nice. Sori-Marin has also done a good job stepping up and filling in for him.
Braelen Oliver too. :good2:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Nov 13 3:20 pm

Just got an e-mail to request B1G Championship game tickets. Might have to think about this one.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Wed Nov 13 8:48 pm

We hate IOWA!!!

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Nov 13 8:55 pm

5 O.T. wrote:
Wed Nov 13 2:24 pm
D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I think Coach Fleck and the boys will be just fine. The Championship week approach is brilliant. The post game video after the State Penn game says it all. The players don't look as though they feel they're anywhere near their destination.

Plus Kamal Harris should be back in the lineup on Saturday. :club:

solar wrote:
Kamal Harris being available for Saturday will be nice. Sori-Marin has also done a good job stepping up and filling in for him.
Kamal Martin?

Or Kamala Harris? 🧐

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Nov 13 9:13 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Nov 13 8:55 pm
5 O.T. wrote:
D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Plus Kamal Martin should be back in the lineup on Saturday. :club:

solar wrote:
Kamal Martin?

Or Kamala Harris? 🧐
:lol: :dope:

solar
Golden
Golden

Post by solar » Thu Nov 14 8:41 am

5 O.T. wrote:
Wed Nov 13 9:13 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
5 O.T. wrote:
D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:

solar wrote:
Kamal Martin?

Or Kamala Harris? 🧐
Awesome. Fixed.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Thu Nov 14 9:57 am

I’ve been spending waaaaay too much time reading articles and watching videos/player interviews this past week. Not that I haven’t been doing so in the past, but with each victory the habit is becoming worse (and I love it!)

All that said, I’m seeing a beat-down here by the Gophers in Iowa City. Our culture doesn’t allow for “let downs” or ”trap games” because of whatever happened the previous week. I hear the phrase “inside our four walls” so much from our players that it assures me that the culture is strong as always. On the other side of the fence...Iowa. Now THAT’S the team who should be worried about a let-down from last week’s result, a close loss at Sconnie. You can see and hear it in their players voices and body language. And Kirk? LOL. There’s a raging debate within that fan base about him, as most know. My take: they should poll non-Iowa fans about whether they want Kirk to stay or go as their head coach. My vote goes to him staying, because his ceiling is lower than the ceiling our new culture brings to the table. We won’t win every match-up against them head-to-head, but I see us winning a majority now.

TL;DR = Gophers 38, Chickenhawks 13

solar
Golden
Golden

Post by solar » Thu Nov 14 10:36 am

I'm not sure this is the correct place for this - but it seems funny that NCAA basketball embraces the "Cinderella story" in their tournament, yet NCAA football has no love for the Cinderella teams, regardless of record or success.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Nov 14 10:54 am

NCAA only cares about money so that just means there is more money in Cinderella basketball runs than football teams.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
107* big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

*Includes 19-20 NBA and 19-20 NHL seasons

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Thu Nov 14 11:24 am

solar wrote:
Thu Nov 14 8:41 am
5 O.T. wrote:
Wed Nov 13 9:13 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
5 O.T. wrote:
D2D wrote:
Handyman wrote:

solar wrote:
Kamal Martin?

Or Kamala Harris? 🧐
Awesome. Fixed.
In the cartoon bubble above my head, I'm picturing Kamala Harris doing the 3 cone drill in heels and a women's business suit.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Nov 14 11:42 am

Why does Fleck have panty liners on the bottom of his socks? :wink:
If liars pants did catch on fire, watching the news would be so much more fun!

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times

Post by JWG » Thu Nov 14 12:33 pm

This is spectacular.

JWG
[This space for rent]

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Thu Nov 14 12:37 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Nov 14 11:42 am
He could have tampons hanging out of his nose if it meant we had continued success lol
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Nov 14 12:40 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
I think those are rubberized spots so the socks don't slip, either in the shoes or on a smooth floor.
I have some 1/2 high socks like that.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Nov 14 1:05 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Nov 14 12:40 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
I think those are rubberized spots so the socks don't slip, either in the shoes or on a smooth floor.
I was just joking, hence the wink. But it still looks strange. :D
If liars pants did catch on fire, watching the news would be so much more fun!

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Thu Nov 14 1:18 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Kelly Red wrote:
I can almost assure those are foot warmers. They are like the hand warmers you put in your gloves except they have a peel and stick side so they don’t bunch up in your boots. My son was wearing the same ones in the deer stand that day. PJ’s custom shoes must need a little more insulation.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Thu Nov 14 1:22 pm

Golden FE Ranger wrote:
Thu Nov 14 1:18 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Kelly Red wrote:
I can almost assure those are foot warmers. They are like the hand warmers you put in your gloves except they have a peel and stick side so they don’t bunch up in your boots. My son was wearing the same ones in the deer stand that day. PJ’s custom shoes must need a little more insulation.
I think you're right.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by g-manpuck » Thu Nov 14 1:39 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Thu Nov 14 9:57 am
And Kirk? LOL. There’s a raging debate within that fan base about him, as most know. My take: they should poll non-Iowa fans about whether they want Kirk to stay or go as their head coach. My vote goes to him staying, because his ceiling is lower than the ceiling our new culture brings to the table.
Curious...where do you hear this "raging" debate about Kirk with Iowa fans. Every, yes every Iowa fan that I know is not in the least bit interested in seeing him down the road. His son, that is where the debate is happening right now. One of the knocks on Kirk at Iowa is the inconsistency of the offense year to year and the recruits they get and how they utilize them and a lot of that lies at his son's feet. Until I see the gradual downhill slope of the program like it did with Hayden, I'm just fine with Kirk Ferentz leading Iowa.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Thu Nov 14 2:11 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Thu Nov 14 1:39 pm
Thu Nov 14 9:57 am
And Kirk? LOL. There’s a raging debate within that fan base about him, as most know. My take: they should poll non-Iowa fans about whether they want Kirk to stay or go as their head coach. My vote goes to him staying, because his ceiling is lower than the ceiling our new culture brings to the table.
Curious...where do you hear this "raging" debate about Kirk with Iowa fans. Every, yes every Iowa fan that I know is not in the least bit interested in seeing him down the road. His son, that is where the debate is happening right now. One of the knocks on Kirk at Iowa is the inconsistency of the offense year to year and the recruits they get and how they utilize them and a lot of that lies at his son's feet. Until I see the gradual downhill slope of the program like it did with Hayden, I'm just fine with Kirk Ferentz leading Iowa.
On their message boards. To your point, perhaps ‘raging’ is too strong a word. In fact, most appear resigned to being stuck with him because of the contract. Sidebar: there is also discontent about his nepotism...

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 14 2:19 pm

I know Iowa fans that want Kirk to be gone sooner rather than later...just saying.

As for the NCAA and Cinderellas...when you have a 32 or 64 team tourny you are set up for those types of things. There are so many games that upsets and unknowns keep everything interesting which helps ratings which brings more ad revenue. When you have a 4 team tourny (which has always been stupid but looks dumber each and every year) then it is about getting the best teams with the most recognition to get the ratings. Minnesota may be a feel good story, but right now no one wants to watch us over Alabama in a 4 team tourny.

This is why the CFP is stupid and has always been stupid. The arbitrary "4 teams" is dumb, but the fact that multiple teams from the same conference can be amongst those 4 is ridiculous and completely illogical. I dont care if the SEC is the greatest conference of all time they dont deserve to have 2 teams while champions of major conferences are left out. That is stupid. If you arent good enough to win your conference you dont deserve the right to play for the National Title over someone else who did. I mean we arent talking about the G5 squads here...these are Power 5 conferences and they dont get a chance because a random committee looks at over-inflated rankings and use it to determine what they consider the 4 best teams. It is all reputation and name recognition.

And before anyone says it...I have said the exact same thing on this board since the creation of this fake tourny. They took the easy way out trying to make this "Final Four" seem legit. All they needed to do was make it 8. 5 Conference champs and 3 at large. SEC still gets their second team (so ESPN can fellate them) the G5 has a chance at possibly getting a bid (though not likely) and one other top end P5 team will end up in. Sure the the first team out will whine, but it is easier to discount #9 over #5.

We are stuck with a very imperfect system, but even a perfect one would have issues for the Gophers so it isnt worth worrying about.
Last edited by Handyman on Thu Nov 14 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Nov 14 2:21 pm

(4) was fine until they decided that winning your conference was optional. That destroyed it. Now, it's just an SEC invitational.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 333 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Nov 14 2:37 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2:19 pm
I know Iowa fans that want Kirk to be gone sooner rather than later...just saying.

As for the NCAA and Cinderellas...when you have a 32 or 64 team tourny you are set up for those types of things. There are so many games that upsets and unknowns keep everything interesting which helps ratings which brings more ad revenue. When you have a 4 team tourny (which has always been stupid but looks dumber each and every year) then it is about getting the best teams with the most recognition to get the ratings. Minnesota may be a feel good story, but right now no one wants to watch us over Alabama in a 4 team tourny.

This is why the CFP is stupid and has always been stupid. The arbitrary "4 teams" is dumb, but the fact that multiple teams from the same conference can be amongst those 4 is ridiculous and completely illogical. I dont care if the SEC is the greatest conference of all time they dont deserve to have 2 teams while champions of major conferences are left out. That is stupid. If you arent good enough to win your conference you dont deserve the right to play for the National Title over someone else who did. I mean we arent talking about the G5 squads here...these are Power 5 conferences and they dont get a chance because a random committee looks at over-inflated rankings and use it to determine what they consider the 4 best teams. It is all reputation and name recognition.

And before anyone says it...I have said the exact same thing on this board since the creation of this fake tourny. They took the easy way out trying to make this "Final Four" seem legit. All they needed to do was make it 8. 5 Conference champs and 3 at large. SEC still gets their second team (so ESPN can fellate them) the G5 has a chance at possibly getting a bid (though not likely) and one other top end P5 team will end up in. Sure the the first team out will whine, but it is easier to discount #9 over #5.

We are stuck with a very imperfect system, but even a perfect one would have issues for the Gophers so it isnt worth worrying about.
Is risk of injury the argument against an 8 team playoff? If they went to a 3 game playoff and prospective pro players started getting injured in those playoffs, it might not last too long.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Nov 14 2:47 pm

If they go to eight, then I think we see a lot of marquee non-conference games go away. It'll be about trying to through the season undefeated or just one loss.

I'd be okay with going to eight teams for the playoff if the power five conferences agreed they'd all schedule nine conference games and schedule at least one power five schools in their nonconference games.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Nov 14 2:50 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2:47 pm
If they go to eight, then I think we see a lot of marquee non-conference games go away. It'll be about trying to through the season undefeated or just one loss.

I'd be okay with going to eight teams for the playoff if the power five conferences agreed they'd all schedule nine conference games and schedule at least one power five schools in their nonconference games.
This was one of the arguments for the 4 team playoff. Every game matter(s), mattered. Until they decided to destroy the conference championship game by making it irrelevant. Once they did that they destroyed the overall importance of games.

And, as you mention above if they go to an 8 team playoff they'll water the regular season down even more.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Nov 14 2:58 pm

$ - https://theathletic.com/1373654/2019/11 ... is-season/

Mandel breaks it down here saying that there are more games that matter if you expand. I just worry that you lose the meaning of every game mattering as well.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 358 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 14 3:21 pm

Given the ratings the PSU-UM game had I'd disagree that a feel good story wouldn't be interesting to a national audience this year. I didn't watch last season's NC game because I was tired of seeing the same 2 teams in the game. I realize that I'm probably in the minority on that, but I think it would be interesting see an ESPN pole that allowed you to pick 4 teams from the current Top 8 asking, "Which 4 teams do you want to see in the CFP?".
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 14 3:59 pm

There is no chance that Di$ney owned ESPN hasnt researched this to death. Too many people buy into the "SEC is God" BS. The circular arguments defending it are ridiculous.

Scooby,

I get what you are saying, but if there are 5 major conferences (and they all have a Title Game) I am not sure any metric or set of eyes will be able to decide who the Top 4 are. NCAA Football has always been trying to fit a square peg in a round hole going back to the invention of the BCS. That said if we are stuck with it no conference should be allowed to have 2 teams out of 4 I dont care what happened. The best of each region should face off to be the "National Champ" and that just doesnt happen when the SEC gets 2 teams because their rankings are inflated throughout the year. If Alabama doesn't want to miss out dont lose.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Nov 14 4:01 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 14 3:21 pm
Given the ratings the PSU-UM game had I'd disagree that a feel good story wouldn't be interesting to a national audience this year. I didn't watch last season's NC game because I was tired of seeing the same 2 teams in the game. I realize that I'm probably in the minority on that, but I think it would be interesting see an ESPN pole that allowed you to pick 4 teams from the current Top 8 asking, "Which 4 teams do you want to see in the CFP?".
MN wouldn't be high on that list.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Nov 14 4:06 pm

They would be 6, 7, or 8
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 14 4:09 pm

Any other season I'd agree, but I think this team is resonating. Best ratings that time slot in 3 years didn't just come from Minnesota.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Nov 14 4:13 pm

But we saw that the time slot didn't have any top 10 matchups. Not shitting on it but the Gophers are not in the OSU AL LSU Clemson GA neutral fan interest level yet.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Nov 14 4:52 pm

I wouldn’t over estimate the love for Alabama outside of their fan base. More than MN, sure as over time they’ve garnered national interest by being visible nationally. But, they also have the Patriots disease. A lot of people are tired of them and have therefore lost interest. I’d be more inclined to watch Oregon in the semi’s than Alabama. I don’t like Oregon, I’m just tired of Alabama. I think fan fatigue is a thing and a more unknown Cinderella team would generate interest and ratings, but that’s just me.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Nov 14 5:46 pm

JWG wrote:
Thu Nov 14 4:52 pm
I wouldn’t over estimate the love for Alabama outside of their fan base. More than MN, sure as over time they’ve garnered national interest by being visible nationally. But, they also have the Patriots disease. A lot of people are tired of them and have therefore lost interest. I’d be more inclined to watch Oregon in the semi’s than Alabama. I don’t like Oregon, I’m just tired of Alabama. I think fan fatigue is a thing and a more unknown Cinderella team would generate interest and ratings, but that’s just me.
Agreed.
Plus Saban is among the royal family of douchery.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Nov 14 5:49 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2:50 pm
Vegoe wrote:

This was one of the arguments for the 4 team playoff. Every game matter(s), mattered. Until they decided to destroy the conference championship game by making it irrelevant. Once they did that they destroyed the overall importance of games.

And, as you mention above if they go to an 8 team playoff they'll water the regular season down even more.
I don't know that I'd agree it will water the regular season down. If they're going to look at strength of record then non-conference wins against quality teams would go a long way toward boosting a CFP Resume.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 14 6:03 pm

There is at least a little bit more intrigue with future NC opponents although nothing super challenging on paper as of yet:

09/03 - Florida Atlantic
09/12 - Tennessee Tech
09/26 - BYU
09/11 - Miami (Ohio)
09/18 - at Colorado
09/25 - Bowling Green
09/01 - New Mexico State
09/10 - Western Illinois
09/17 - Colorado
09/09 - Eastern Michigan
09/16 - at North Carolina
09/30 - Louisiana
08/31 - North Carolina
09/06 - Bowling Green
09/20 - at BYU
09/12 - Mississippi State
09/11 - at Mississippi State

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Nov 14 6:51 pm

JWG wrote:
Thu Nov 14 4:52 pm
Alabama is like the Patriots now. A lot of kids around the country grew up watching Alabama play big games every week and became fans of them. The rest of the country hate watches them hoping they lose.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Nov 14 6:51 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Nov 14 5:49 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Nov 14 2:50 pm
Vegoe wrote:

I don't know that I'd agree it will water the regular season down. If they're going to look at strength of record then non-conference wins against quality teams would go a long way toward boosting a CFP Resume.
It's already watered down. Alabama losing and not appearing in a conference title game doesn't matter. This season they're still in it despite a worse resume than Minnesota. Look at their schedule. It's crap. In a real college football season Alabama would not have been left in the last time this happened and they would be out of it already this season.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times

Post by team22tank » Thu Nov 14 7:02 pm

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 14 7:06 pm

That fans hate-watch Alabama doesn't mean they won't pay attention otherwise, and I didn't watch the NC game last year for the first time because I was bored with the matchup.

Minnesota will never match Alabama don't get me wrong - but don't tell me people won't watch them as evidenced by the ratings of their last game.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Nov 14 7:09 pm

How on earth do they calculate that? Alabama has 2 wins against teams over 500. 6/3 Texas A&M and Southern Mississippi. Yes, LSU is a great team, but that's the only actually good team they've played. And they lost to them.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Thu Nov 14 7:15 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 14 7:06 pm
That fans hate-watch Alabama doesn't mean they won't pay attention otherwise, and I didn't watch the NC game last year for the first time because I was bored with the matchup.

Minnesota will never match Alabama don't get me wrong - but don't tell me people won't watch them as evidenced by the ratings of their last game.
It’s ratings in regards to strength of schedule not viewership.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-fo ... s-by-other

And asking Scooby how the Gophers have a “better resume” than Alabama?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Nov 14 7:19 pm

team22tank wrote:
Thu Nov 14 7:15 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

I know it's an alleged "strength of schedule" measurement. That's what I'm trying to figure out HOW it's calculated. I'm not saying that the Gophers are necessarily a better team than Alabama. But Alabama only has two wins against over .500 teams. Call Georgia Southern in the same realm as Southern Mississippi, Illinois a bit worse than A&M, that still leaves the Gophers beating PSU. How they can justify Alabama being THAT much higher than the Gophers based on SOS doesn't make any sense.
Last edited by Steve MN on Thu Nov 14 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Nov 14 7:19 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Nov 14 7:09 pm
How on earth do they calculate that? Alabama has 2 wins against teams over 500. 6/3 Texas A&M and Southern Mississippi. Yes, LSU is a great team, but that's the only actually good team they've played. And they lost to them.
Middle third SEC teams would be top third Big Ten teams. Bottom third SEC teams would be middle third Big Ten teams.

That's not perfect but you get the idea that beating up on each other leaves some solid teams below 500.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Nov 14 7:37 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Nov 14 7:19 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Middle third SEC teams would be top third Big Ten teams. Bottom third SEC teams would be middle third Big Ten teams.

That's not perfect but you get the idea that beating up on each other leaves some solid teams below 500.
Not this year. Look at SEC vs other power 5 in non-con.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Nov 14 7:44 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

Wrong.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Nov 14 7:59 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Nov 14 7:44 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

Wrong.
In years past, he may have had an argument. As you and Scooby rightly point out, this isn't years past.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Nov 14 8:05 pm

team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

Because Minnesota's Strength of Record is 4th in country (LSU, OSU, Baylor). Alabama's is 10.
Alabama's best win is against a mediocre Texas A&M team. And after that... Southern Miss is the only other team they've played that is currently above .500.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 14 8:23 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

Sorry but that is BS. THE SEC isn't as good as you and ESPN think they are.

Their SOS is always inflated because voters put so many teams in the Top 25 early on. A&M isn't better than most mid to bottom tier Big Ten teams.

LSU is great... Georgia and Bama are very good and the rest are hardly world beaters. The Big Ten would do just fine against them.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 14 11:52 pm

team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

That wasn't the criteria being discussed. However in that regard while right now their SOS doesn't get them if they win out it will.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Nov 15 4:09 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 14 11:52 pm
team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

That wasn't the criteria being discussed. However in that regard while right now their SOS doesn't get them if they win out it will.
Counterpoint: Strength of Record takes SOS a step further by accounting for how a team actually did against its schedule. Unlike BPI, which accounts for how the game was won, Strength of Record measures the difficulty of a team's schedule and the result (win or loss).

┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳| •.•) Gophers' Strength of Record is ranked #4
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|

Greyeagle
Has liked: 852 times
Been liked: 599 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Nov 15 7:28 am

Anything over three letters is tough....
Can't Spell
Can't Spell
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 15 8:01 am

Fri Nov 15 4:09 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 14 11:52 pm
team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

Counterpoint: Strength of Record takes SOS a step further by accounting for how a team actually did against its schedule. Unlike BPI, which accounts for how the game was won, Strength of Record measures the difficulty of a team's schedule and the result (win or loss).

┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳| •.•) Gophers' Strength of Record is ranked #4
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|
Plus I worded that somewhat awkwardly. SOS isn't technically used but I am sure those that vote are aware of it and if the Gophers take care of business it will climb steadily.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Fri Nov 15 8:26 am

The Gophers will take care of themselves and the rankings don't matter. The only questionable scenario to me is what if they're a 12-1 conference champion. If they're a 13-0 conference champion, they're in the CFP. If they lose the conference championship, they're not (we can debate what if they lose 24-23 in OT or on a last second field goal). That's my hot take.

If they beat Iowa, they'll climb from 8 to 5 or 6. If they beat NW, they won't move, If they beat WI, they'll be 4 or 5.
JWG
[This space for rent]

JB
Rookie

Post by JB » Fri Nov 15 8:44 am

team22tank wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

The problem with that ranking is they don't give any insight into how they are calculated, with the exception of saying "incorporating a preseason rating for each team that improves early season accuracy."

That seems awfully subjective to include in what they've designed as a metric.
1st: DeMarchi (Smaagaard), 10:58. Collins (Martz, Aikins), 19:41. 3rd: Vanek (Koalska), 8:14. Waibel (Vanek), 11:25. Tallackson (Guyer, Harrington), 13:34. Tallackson (Potulny).

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Nov 15 9:12 am

This is as confident as I've ever witnessed this fanbase being about any game vs. Iowa that I can recall. In years past you guys would have been typing furiously about this game and now this thread is siderailed into a discussion about rankings, the SEC, and Alabama rather than the game at hand. Covenant claps for that. While I'm certain Iowa will lose to Minnesota...I'm really going to enjoy it if an upset happens. I'm not going to gloat if that happens because I'll be in complete shock
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Nov 15 10:00 am

I am expecting a nail biter. Road games are just tough especially against good teams. While Iowa’s seasons hasn’t gone as planned, they are no slouch. Michigan and Wisconsin road losses and lost to Penn State. I think the combine points in the losses is 14, each one was one possession.

If the Gophers win or tie the turnover battle I believe they will win. I don’t see Iowa putting up enough points. Lose that battle and it gets very tough m.

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Fri Nov 15 10:24 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Fri Nov 15 9:12 am
This is as confident as I've ever witnessed this fanbase being about any game vs. Iowa that I can recall. In years past you guys would have been typing furiously about this game and now this thread is siderailed into a discussion about rankings, the SEC, and Alabama rather than the game at hand. Covenant claps for that. While I'm certain Iowa will lose to Minnesota...I'm really going to enjoy it if an upset happens. I'm not going to gloat if that happens because I'll be in complete shock
It's a very small handful of the usual suspects worrying about and bitching about the unfairness of the CFP process. They hardly qualify as representative of the Gopher fanbase. :roll:

Way too many moving parts in the next three weeks to even spend one minute worrying about anything but playing Herky on Saturday.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Nov 15 10:27 am

I think the ranking is BS based on who is ahead of them and their records (wins or losses they have), but also don't care. It is meaningless with a lot of season left, so gives for message board banter.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Nov 15 10:29 am

The rankings stuff will work itself out. Barring having 2 losses if the Gophs win the Big Ten Title they will be in and if they dont they wont. Seems fair enough to me.

g,

I am not super confident, because winning on the road is tough no matter who you are playing. It is even tougher against a rival in a place you havent won at in decades. That said I do feel better about this matchup than I usually do. Iowa has a defense that is going to keep them in games and I personally think Ferentz is a better coach for this type of game than Franklin was at Penn State. The Gophers are 3 point dogs for a reason. I think the Gophers will win, but I would not be surprised at all if they lost. The nice thing is no matter the outcome the team is still in great position. (would be better if Jesus of Lincoln could get his team to beat Sconnie ;) )

The other talk is the same stuff I say every year, it just happens to be in this thread because it is the Gophers dealing with it otherwise it would be in the college football thread. It is fun, but it is also stuff that makes college football kind of annoying.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Nov 15 10:31 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Nov 15 10:27 am
I think the ranking is BS based on who is ahead of them and their records (wins or losses they have), but also don't care. It is meaningless with a lot of season left, so gives for message board banter.
The Gophers were ranked 17th last week and moved up more spots in one week than any team since the beginning of the the CFP. You can't really expect too much more. If the rankings mean ANYTHING they still have games remaining to affect the final number. Relax People.

Not you gopherguy06

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Nov 15 10:33 am

It doesnt sound like he isnt relaxed. He literally said he doesnt care and there is a lot of season left...you can think something is wrong but also not be up in arms about it.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Nov 15 10:36 am

Yes the rankings will work themselves out. It doesn’t even matter right now.

The Gophers final 4 games are completely different from the first 8. If they take care of business they will be in a great spot.

Each season doesn’t start in a vacuum obviously the previous year provides some sort of starting point. The Gophers starting point was way down there, Alabama was not.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Nov 15 10:36 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Nov 15 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Nov 15 10:27 am
The Gophers were ranked 17th last week and moved up more spots in one week than any team since the beginning of the the CFP. You can't really expect too much more. If the rankings mean ANYTHING they still have games remaining to affect the final number. Relax People.

Not you gopherguy06
I agree, the biggest jump since the rankings have been out, but looking at who is ahead, especially the 1 loss teams is just crazy. We have only 1 quality win, but the non-conference teams we played have looked better and IL has went on a little run making it more respectable in terms of SOS. We have 3 ranked opponents to play, so will swing in the right way if we get the job done.

But Utah, who has a loss to USC (who is a 4 loss team) is ahead of us. Oregon as well, with their lone loss against Auburn, but otherwise haven't played anyone. Clemson is there purely with name recognition and being in the championship last year, but they haven't played anyone and the ACC is garbage. Same could almost be said about Bama. Are they more talented with better players, but looking at SOS and record, it doesn't add up. There is a lot of season left for everyone in the top 10 and lots could happen, but fun to just have these conversations.

A podcast mentioned it, but I never watched the CFP show and was more just check the next morning, but crazy to think we are 9-0 and even in the conversation!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 15 10:42 am

I'm nervous as hell about this weekend.
Winning at Kinnick is tough. The fact that its not a night game probably helps the maroon and gold a little. The fact that the offense is multidimensional helps. The fact that Wisconsin ran for 250 against them last week helps the offense (forces Iowa to focus on run defense instead of Bateman/TJ/CAB).

But Iowa defense is good. Iowa fans will be liquored up and loud. And right on top of the field. I don't buy the "nothing to play for" meme floated. Rivalry game, Floyd on the line, chance to ruin Minnesota's best season in 50+ years... Iowa has plenty to play for.

If Minnesota puts up a TD on the first drive and silences the crowd (either a long, grinding drive where they eat 6-7 minutes or a big play) I think they win relatively comfortably.
If they come out and turn it over or punt on a 3-and-out and Iowa can take an early lead and get their fans into it, that's when the game will turn into a fight.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Fri Nov 15 10:45 am

Clemson is their purely on name recognition? I believe being in the previous 4 playoffs and Winning two National Championships in 3 years is more than name recognition.

Programs don’t turn over completely after a season. Last years success and results are a huge starting point for an upcoming season.

The Gophers have to prove it. And the opportunity is right there these last few games.