Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 357 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 3:39 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Sun Nov 10 2:08 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:58 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:41 pm
Opening betting line for next week in offshore books, Iowa favored by 2 points. Over/Under at 44.5 points.
Wow...I did not see that coming. Be interesting to see if it moves though I doubt it does unless something very odd happens. I mean Iowa is ranked an all and they lost a close one at Sconnie but still. The Books must think a let down is coming.

I got a feeling if the CFP poll slights us the team might put a hurting on Iowa to prove a point. Of course they should do that anyways cause...well...they are Iowa but we definitely seem to be playing with a chip on our shoulder. And not in the "woe is us" type of way, in the "I guess we need to show them who we are" sort of way.
I’ll trade you the hockey tickets and let’s go to Iowa! We haven’t driven there in how many years??
The last time we drove to Iowa the Gophs lost in the Frozen Four ;)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Sun Nov 10 4:09 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Sun Nov 10 3:07 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 2:55 pm
A little surprised at the 2 PT underdog but isn't it usually around 3 for being a home team so about even or slightly favoring us. We won an emotional game and haven't won there in a long time, so could be a tight one. I know they want the Pig
According to one Sconnie player, Wisconsin won the pig. :lol: (0:38 mark)
Hey Bucky, This is The Pig. Floyd of Rosedale.

You were playing for a steer:

:lol:
Last edited by 5 O.T. on Sun Nov 10 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 4:44 pm

I commented on the tweet, let's see if anything happens
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 5:09 pm

Just finished the game:

Penn State "Minnesota'ed" a chance in this game. Going for 2 when they did was an ok call (terrible play call though) but going for it on 4th in the Red Zone was idiotic. Both decisions tell me that Franklin didn't think his D could stop us if push came to shove. It also showed awful situational awareness or any idea how to handle the clock. He got bailed out obviously but good lord the amount of points they lost in the Red Zone was Glen Mason like.

I will say though, they did find ways to exploit what worked. Their offense only had any real success when it was playing up tempo. They resembled the Gophers early in the year in that all they had really was an inside zone read so they faked off that a lot. Problem is they have only 1 real WR threat (and he is 5'9'') and a TE who is a beast. The other WRs had a case of the dropsies. When they were able to use tempo to get a run game going it opened up holes, but when it counted and everyone knew a pass was coming their QB made the wrong read or threw a bad ball. Morgan is better than that guy in every way but running.

How in the heck did the refs miss the Delay of Game on the TD? I mean I know sometimes it is close and you get an extra half second or so but they got almost 2! I mean it wasnt close. (way worse than any of the PI calls) This would have buried previous teams as they never would have gotten their composure back.

The final 4 minutes were hard to watch but more because of how PSU seemed incapable of getting out of their own way. We giftwrapped them a chance to win (to the point I almost thought PJ was letting them get in fast so we could win the game...yeah I know he wasnt but still) and from the word go they kind of found ways not to. Their Special Teams almost screwed the pooch when they interfered with Hamler which cost them quite a bit of yardage and then they get called for an OBVIOUS offensive PI on a play that should have put them on the 2. They didnt look ready for the moment, they certainly didnt look like the #4 team in the nation. They looked like an unranked Gopher team just praying for something to fall their way against a much better squad.

And yes, we are the better team. There is no two ways about it I dont care about star ratings or anything...the better team won the game. Our offense was lightyears better than theirs, our D outperformed their "vaunted" D as did our Special Teams and our coaches made the right decision almost every time. Our stars lead the way. If not for a bad Shannon Brooks fumble (his one weakness) the game never ends up close. Maybe next week it all crashes down, but right now tOSU is obviously the class of the Big Ten, and then it is us as the best of the rest.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 5:20 pm

ESPN has their bowl projections out and have us in the Rose Bowl against Utah. I'd take that.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 10 5:32 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 5:20 pm
ESPN has their bowl projections out and have us in the Rose Bowl against Utah. I'd take that.
Remember when they had us in the Outback Bowl and we were good with that? I do too, it was last week. :)
Change your best!
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 5:40 pm

I would think at this point we would need to lose out to fall to the Outback. 1 win should put us back in the Citrus 2 the Rose Bowl.

BTW it seems people are buying up lots of tickets for the Sconnie game...
Last edited by Handyman on Sun Nov 10 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by sunbone » Sun Nov 10 5:45 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:27 am
Some people walking out were complaining about the storming the field. Act like you have been there? We are in uncharted territory with this win streak and haven't breast a top 5 team in 40 years! Enjoy it! I was on the field and have no problem with anyone else doing it. That place was rocking and the celebration was well deserved.
Are you serious? The Gophers beat the #4 team in the country. Hadn’t beaten a top ten team at home since 1977? If not now, when? I thought it was awesome. I didn’t go on the field because I feel like that should be for current students, not a guy that was a student during the Gutekunst era. :lol: But can’t blame people for being excited.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 5:55 pm

Yeah I saw people whining about it before the game on ghole (cause some older posters said they are doing it they dont care how it looks) and it made me shake my head. We havent been there before, certainly not the students in the stands so let them enjoy it. This is a nationally televised game between 2 unbeatens...the biggest game in modern Gopher History. Screw that...

This is college sports, it is about emotional moments. It is about celebrating with the kids. We dont have to be professional about it...cause no one is. This is lame ass, passive aggressive Minnesota crap.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Nov 10 5:58 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 5:55 pm
This is college sports, it is about emotional moments. It is about celebrating with the kids. We don't have to be professional about it...cause no one is.
When you plan and research you get the Governor's Victory Bell. :bored:
When it happens spontaneously you get the $5 Bits Of Broken Chair :good2:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 5:59 pm

Completely agree. We bought tickets in the lower level for that reason. So fun being a part of the atmosphere and on the field.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 80 times

Post by sunbone » Sun Nov 10 6:04 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 5:55 pm
Yeah I saw people whining about it before the game on ghole (cause some older posters said they are doing it they dont care how it looks) and it made me shake my head. We havent been there before, certainly not the students in the stands so let them enjoy it. This is a nationally televised game between 2 unbeatens...the biggest game in modern Gopher History. Screw that...

This is college sports, it is about emotional moments. It is about celebrating with the kids. We dont have to be professional about it...cause no one is. This is lame ass, passive aggressive Minnesota crap.
Well, I’m glad I didn’t hear anybody whine about it. Like I said before, I had goosebumps when I saw the students rush the field. It was awesome. Some people really seem to struggle with enjoying good things.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Steve MN » Sun Nov 10 7:14 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:01 pm

Holy crap...that legit gave me goosebumps :shock:
That was definitely a fun opening. Heck, I even see myself in that video :mrgreen: (Not like you could recognize me, but I know exactly where I was, and the jersey I was wearing made it easy)
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 250 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Nov 10 7:17 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:14 pm
Handyman wrote:

That was definitely a fun opening. Heck, I even see myself in that video :mrgreen: (Not like you could recognize me, but I know exactly where I was, and the jersey I was wearing made it easy)
I took a video of that too from my seats. It was really really cool to see.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sun Nov 10 7:28 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:17 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Just remembered that I did too. Knew there was another video I needed to toss up on YouTube

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Nov 10 7:57 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:28 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:17 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Handyman wrote:

Just remembered that I did too. Knew there was another video I needed to toss up on YouTube
And as per usual, the crowd finishes the Rouser five seconds before the band! 😆

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 8:03 pm

The video Daniel House took of the storming of the field is great. You can hear the people he is with (I assume media people) high fiving in the background if you listen loud enough!

If we get to the Rose Bowl (or some other NY6 game) PJ is gonna see why it makes sense to stay here and never move to a USC. He will get a friggin statue and a lifetime contract.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun Nov 10 8:04 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:57 pm
This has always driven me insane. Dumb Scandinavians have no rhythm.

:anger: :wink:

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 194 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 10 8:06 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 5:09 pm
Just finished the game:

Penn State "Minnesota'ed" a chance in this game. Going for 2 when they did was an ok call (terrible play call though) but going for it on 4th in the Red Zone was idiotic. Both decisions tell me that Franklin didn't think his D could stop us if push came to shove. It also showed awful situational awareness or any idea how to handle the clock. He got bailed out obviously but good lord the amount of points they lost in the Red Zone was Glen Mason like.

I will say though, they did find ways to exploit what worked. Their offense only had any real success when it was playing up tempo. They resembled the Gophers early in the year in that all they had really was an inside zone read so they faked off that a lot. Problem is they have only 1 real WR threat (and he is 5'9'') and a TE who is a beast. The other WRs had a case of the dropsies. When they were able to use tempo to get a run game going it opened up holes, but when it counted and everyone knew a pass was coming their QB made the wrong read or threw a bad ball. Morgan is better than that guy in every way but running.

How in the heck did the refs miss the Delay of Game on the TD? I mean I know sometimes it is close and you get an extra half second or so but they got almost 2! I mean it wasnt close. (way worse than any of the PI calls) This would have buried previous teams as they never would have gotten their composure back.

The final 4 minutes were hard to watch but more because of how PSU seemed incapable of getting out of their own way. We giftwrapped them a chance to win (to the point I almost thought PJ was letting them get in fast so we could win the game...yeah I know he wasnt but still) and from the word go they kind of found ways not to. Their Special Teams almost screwed the pooch when they interfered with Hamler which cost them quite a bit of yardage and then they get called for an OBVIOUS offensive PI on a play that should have put them on the 2. They didnt look ready for the moment, they certainly didnt look like the #4 team in the nation. They looked like an unranked Gopher team just praying for something to fall their way against a much better squad.

And yes, we are the better team. There is no two ways about it I dont care about star ratings or anything...the better team won the game. Our offense was lightyears better than theirs, our D outperformed their "vaunted" D as did our Special Teams and our coaches made the right decision almost every time. Our stars lead the way. If not for a bad Shannon Brooks fumble (his one weakness) the game never ends up close. Maybe next week it all crashes down, but right now tOSU is obviously the class of the Big Ten, and then it is us as the best of the rest.
Going for it on 4th down was the right thing to do, statistically. Viking and I were watching the game at OC, and both agreed on this.
And the announcers even called out the refs on the delay of game. That was a BS TD. Thankfully, it didn't matter.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Nov 10 8:12 pm

They're gonna need a bigger boat (stadium). :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 8:55 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Nov 10 8:06 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 5:09 pm
Just finished the game:

Going for it on 4th down was the right thing to do, statistically. Viking and I were watching the game at OC, and both agreed on this.
And the announcers even called out the refs on the delay of game. That was a BS TD. Thankfully, it didn't matter.
Sorry but i dont buy the stats argument. They needed points. The second they made that call they put themselves in a hole that was going to require 2 TDs to overcome. They already wasted possessions without points (or less points than needed) they were running out of time. Not to mention they made stupid calls setting it up if they always planned to go for it on 4th.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 10 8:57 pm

They needed the RIGHT points to win the game. They tried to win, they weren't trying to "not lose." *shrug* I give them credit for doing the right thing, even though it backfired.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 9:12 pm

Now I sit with eager anticipation and want it to be Saturday again for the match against Iowa.

Kinda digging that we are getting things setup for the final game against Wisconsin for the dealing of the Big 10 West and a Rose Bowl bid.

But I also wouldn't be mad if Wisconsin choked and helped lock us in sooner :)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Nov 10 9:13 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Nov 10 8:04 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:57 pm
This has always driven me insane. Dumb Scandinavians have no rhythm.

:anger: :wink:
To be fair it’s hard to hear in a large environment and the speed of sound doesn’t help; the band does keep it a bit slow. But there’s an easy trick - watch the arms of the band directors and rah rahs. Light travels faster!

I find it amusing the fans always progressively speed up the Rouser. No rhythm is right!!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 9:13 pm

If we win at Iowa and NW then Wisconsin doesn't matter with regards to the West Title.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 9:29 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 9:13 pm
If we win at Iowa and NW then Wisconsin doesn't matter with regards to the West Title.
Oh yeah I know. Heh, it will be crazy at the fair next year when we retain the axe and put the bell and pig in there.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 10 9:30 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Nov 10 9:29 pm
Handyman wrote:
Oh yeah I know. Heh, it will be crazy at the fair next year when we retain the axe and put the bell and pig in there.
Add a free fanny pack and it'll be a madhouse!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 9:32 pm

Don't forget the yardstick!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 10 9:34 pm

Right call. Here comes the corner fade.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 10 9:36 pm

Wrong thread.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 10:00 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Nov 10 9:30 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
Handyman wrote:
And then they will have discount prices on hockey tickets!!! LINES OUT TO THE KIDWAY!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Nov 10 10:07 pm

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Nov 10 10:00 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Nov 10 9:30 pm
00xtremeninja wrote:
Handyman wrote:
And then they will have discount prices on hockey tickets!!! LINES OUT TO THE KIDWAY!
I’m curious how this season will affect FB ticket prices next year and if it will help add a significant amount of STH. I miss having tix but just couldn’t afford to put both football and hockey players through college.

I’m stoked to at least have tickets to the Axe game and hope it will be an atmosphere to rival yesterdays!

:BDTR:

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 10:18 pm

I too have the axe game to attend, along with black friday hockey. Its gonna be a golden thanksgiving weekend!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 10 10:25 pm

I have awesome seats to the Axe game and I think I’ll have to sell them. Damn Thanksgiving hockey tournaments.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 10:31 pm

Ron Johnson has been ripping Ruesse. This was my fav

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 10 10:40 pm

Hoping for a couple stress-free wins by the Gophers and Vikings next weekend.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 10:40 pm

I love @3RonJohnson :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by team22tank » Sun Nov 10 10:42 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Nov 10 10:25 pm
I have awesome seats to the Axe game and I think I’ll have to sell them. Damn Thanksgiving hockey tournaments.
How much? Let’s chat!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 10 10:45 pm

team22tank wrote:
Sun Nov 10 10:42 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Nov 10 10:25 pm
How much? Let’s chat!
You can send a message to me tomorrow. I am going to bed now.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 12:45 am

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 2:46 am

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 3:17 am

Insomnia sucks...but it allows me to post more tweets!

Try and not laugh when the song kicks in :lol:

Gotta love Grimm :)

The place has gone NUCLEAR! :dup:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Nov 11 5:10 am

Village people? No way, that's Judas Priest

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 71 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Nov 11 7:56 am

Here is my prediction for Saturday, Minnesota wins 27-21. Iowa just doesn't have enough of everything to stay with a good team which Minnesota obviously is and they are improving each week.

Iowa's defense has a tough time stopping the pass unless their front four can create havoc because the DB's aren't Desmond King or Josh Jackson so Bateman and Johnson should be able to have their way if Minnesota's O-line gives Morgan some time. I have no faith in Nate Stanley to win this game and he can easily lose a game for Iowa like he has in the past so many times. The usual strength of Iowa is the biggest inconsistency this year which is their O-line, which doesn't help Stanley nor the running game.

I see Minnesota coming out and throwing some long balls to Bateman/Johnson to open the game up. Mixing in the three headed monster running game to see what is there. Minnesota will get up early and then Iowa will make a comeback attempt but this is a track meet that Iowa can't stay in even at Kinnick.

The only reason I hold out any hope for Iowa is that their three losses have only been to top twenty teams by 7 points or less in each of those games. So while all of you are Hating Iowa and Rowing your Boats all week, I'll be over here hoping for a win all the while not expecting it.
Last edited by g-manpuck on Mon Nov 11 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Nov 11 8:12 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Nov 11 7:56 am
Here is my prediction for Saturday, Minnesota wins 27-21. Iowa just doesn't have enough of everything to stay with a good team which Minnesota obviously is and they are improving each week.
I think this is why there have been a lot of people that haven't really believed in the Gophers yet. They remember how the team looked coming out the gates, barely winning some of the early games. What they weren't taking into account is that the Gophers have been getting better every week. (For the record, I've been seeing the improvement, but wasn't really convinced until this weekend)

Karlsson
Veteran
Been liked: 131 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Nov 11 8:19 am

The defense has come a loooooong way from those early games, no doubt.

Hoping there's no emotional hangover. Season isn't over.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Mon Nov 11 8:20 am

I know of two school superintendents and one Activities Director that had rushed the field after the win. If that doesn't say Saturday was for everyone, I don't know what will.

Now, sweep it aside and get back to work. As Brooks told the 1980 Olympic team against the Finns, "F--k this up, you'll take it to your f--king grave...your f--king grave."

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Nov 11 8:34 am

Iowas gonna be tough, no doubt. If I were planning this game, I'd keep the o line how we had it against psu to allow morgan time to make the throws he needs.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Nov 11 9:40 am

Down on the field was pretty crazy. Heard about a bunch of minor injuries being down there in another tweet I saw.

Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Master_Shake
Rookie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Master_Shake » Mon Nov 11 9:59 am

I’m hearing the Goph’s moved up to #4 in the CFP this morning! That is truly crazy to think about

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 10:06 am

Well we wont know until tomorrow but I kind of find that hard to believe.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 10:06 am

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Nov 11 10:22 am

Master_Shake wrote:
Mon Nov 11 9:59 am
I’m hearing the Goph’s moved up to #4 in the CFP this morning! That is truly crazy to think about
I'll have what you're having.
I was thinking 9 or 10.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Chris83 » Mon Nov 11 10:31 am

Who on the Lord's green (okay, not so green right now here in MN) earth would bitch about the fans coming on to the field after the game Saturday? They are 9-0 for the first time in 115 years. They beat the #4 team in the country. First time they've beaten a top 5 team at home in 42 years. They are 2 wins away from playing in the Big Ten title game.

"Act like you've been there before"? When the #@$% have they (or we as fans) been here before???? Judas Priest!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Enjoy the phenomenon this is. All the naysayers can get bent.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by streakygopher » Mon Nov 11 10:38 am

Chris83 wrote:
Mon Nov 11 10:31 am
Who on the Lord's green (okay, not so green right now here in MN) earth would bitch about the fans coming on to the field after the game Saturday? They are 9-0 for the first time in 115 years. They beat the #4 team in the country. First time they've beaten a top 5 team at home in 42 years. They are 2 wins away from playing in the Big Ten title game.

"Act like you've been there before"? When the #@$% have they (or we as fans) been here before???? Judas Priest!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Couldn't agree more. Celebrate the big wins and then get ready for next week!

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Nov 11 10:45 am

Chris83 wrote:
Mon Nov 11 10:31 am

A Freaking Men

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 10:49 am

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 11 10:55 am

I could watch video of crowd shots all day long. I actually wish someone would compile audio/video in snyc with the announcers (radio, tv, doesn't matter) and any portion of the crowd as it's happening. It's really fun to see the crowd going bonkers.

I don't expect they'll be able to have that level of fervor every game moving forward, but I sure as hell hope the maroon/gold dwarf puke red vs. Wisconsin. And hopefully they can build enough of a base that even when they play directional state NC or Rutgers that the stadium is hitting 93-95% full more often than not.

Seeing the whole crowd sway back and forth leading to the team running onto the field is one of the cooler things I've ever seen from a Gophers crowd.

Wonder how many uncommitted recruits they had there.

Thing of beauty:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 11 11:06 am

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 11:16 am

I love that the students have adopted the rocking back and forth stuff PJ has the players doing in the tunnel before they run out. Looks super cool :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Nov 11 11:25 am

Posted this in the ugly helmets thread, but just in case you missed it:

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Nov 11 11:33 am

I can't believe Antoine Winfield Jr. is only a redshirt sophomore. Feels like he's been here forever. He will have a tough decision at the end of the year.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 11:37 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Nov 11 11:33 am
I can't believe Antoine Winfield Jr. is only a redshirt sophomore. Feels like he's been here forever. He will have a tough decision at the end of the year.
My guess is we get one more year...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 12:02 pm

Ron Johnson is on fire the last two days!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 48 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Nov 11 12:09 pm

Man, it's great to hear a Common Man "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" montage set to Gopher football highlights! :D
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Nov 11 12:10 pm

I no longer believe there is a team that is a guaranteed win over MN. That includes anyone the SEC puts up. Odds may be worse than remote in a couple of matchups, but that only seems to make the Gophers perform better. I look forward to whomever we play outside of the B1G come JANUARY (ok, maybe December of the Orange bowl or CFP), I think we will beat them.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Nov 11 12:11 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 11:12 am
This is just a sample of what is to come, a little taster of what we might be building. This is the 1993 BADgers SUCK (the ones we prevented from having a shot at a National Title...thank you Jim Wacker!) which was when they started their run. This is the foundation, this is the beginning. This is where we put people on notice that we arent just looking to be average, we are aspiring to something better and for once, it isnt a pipedream. We arent Ohio State, we arent Michigan...right now as it stands we arent even Iowa and Wisconsin...but we WILL be.
I've been thinking the same thing and as fans of the program methinks we are smack dab in the middle of a change in thought process.

For as long as I've been a fan the general consensus is MN is a spoiler and the general hope was we maybe knock off one of the B1G powers every once in a while & not get embarrassed on national TV. The combo of Fleck's vision for the program and the team's quick adaption to the culture is quickly permeating other MN programs and fans. In other words, it the same feeling I've always had about the Gopher hockey.

BTW - snuffing the red team's hopes & dreams in '93 was as much fun as I've ever had a football game.

:M: :M2: :M:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 12:14 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 12:16 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Nov 11 12:11 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 11:12 am
This is just a sample of what is to come, a little taster of what we might be building. This is the 1993 BADgers SUCK SUCK (the ones we prevented from having a shot at a National Title...thank you Jim Wacker!) which was when they started their run. This is the foundation, this is the beginning. This is where we put people on notice that we arent just looking to be average, we are aspiring to something better and for once, it isnt a pipedream. We arent Ohio State, we arent Michigan...right now as it stands we arent even Iowa and Wisconsin...but we WILL be.
I've been thinking the same thing and as fans of the program methinks we are smack dab in the middle of a change in thought process.

For as long as I've been a fan the general consensus is MN is a spoiler and the general hope was we maybe knock off one of the B1G powers every once in a while & not get embarrassed on national TV. The combo of Fleck's vision for the program and the team's quick adaption to the culture is quickly permeating other MN programs and fans. In other words, it the same feeling I've always had about the Gopher hockey.

BTW - snuffing the red team's hopes & dreams in '93 was as much fun as I've ever had a football game.

:M: :M2: :M:
I had a football game that day. My dad chose to see me instead of the game. When he heard it was 21-0 (he went to the car to hear the update) he was not happy with me ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Nov 11 12:57 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Nov 11 11:37 am
Zwak wrote:
My guess is we get one more year...
I agree but you never know. If he keeps it up he may want to strike while the iron is hot. Regardless it's nice to have this be a topic of conversation. We don't get early declarations all that often. :D
GPL's official source of trivia.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Nov 11 1:08 pm

Zwak wrote:
Two season ending injuries vs. Maryland. Hard to believe, but think we have him for one more year.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Nov 11 1:09 pm

Seriously considering scraping some money together to make a 4.5hr drive Saturday morning...

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Nov 11 1:49 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Nov 11 1:09 pm
Seriously considering scraping some money together to make a 4.5hr drive Saturday morning...
Me & 3 other guys (all in our 50’s) are likely driving down early Saturday morning too. Just to be there and experience the atmosphere ☝️🏈

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 11 2:25 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sell off a few bats ;) :lol:

Iowa wont work for me...but I might be able to make NW work if the West Title is on the line. You can get tickets on the 40 for like $16.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Nov 11 2:40 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Nov 11 2:25 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sell off a few bats ;) :lol:

Iowa wont work for me...but I might be able to make NW work if the West Title is on the line. You can get tickets on the 40 for like $16.
I already pulled that trick to help pay for my fridge so I could still go to Vegas 🤣