Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sat Nov 09 10:00 pm

3pm kickoff in Iowa. Anyone going?

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by streakygopher » Sat Nov 09 10:27 pm

Morgan outplayed Clifford today, and to me that was the biggest factor in the outcome of the game.

Clifford missed a couple key passes and PSU receivers had a few drops. I felt that Minnesota's defensive front just couldn't get any pressure against those tree trunk blockers of PSU, and, apparently, Fleck & company doesn't favor the blitz. There were a couple drives that PSU made look easy, but Minnesota's offense answered every time. Despite that, the offense stalled on a key late drive, and it was the defense that had to hold on to give the team a victory today.

That win was legit against a good team, and there wasn't one second until the interception when I felt at ease. Just a slugfest all game long. Afterward, my friends and I just couldn't get over how lucky we were to witness it.

Great win for the team, the coaches, the fans and the alums. This is the kind of season that gets the local kids to stay on and forgo their visit to Wisconsin or Iowa.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Sat Nov 09 10:52 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Nov 09 7:14 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Nov 09 5:23 pm
The Gophers are 9-0 for first time in Sid Hartman's life.
I saw Sid walking into the game. I know he’s 99 years old but he’s in really rough shape.

The Bank was really rocking today and the atmosphere was insane. The stadium was pretty full at kickoff and the students were awesome allgame. I loved how they came out and made Penn State look like the team playing their first big game in 15 years. They seem to keep getting better every week.
The argument could be made that if you're 99 years old and walking ANYWHERE, you're doing alright.

I'm still in disbelief over this. Amazing.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Nov 09 11:36 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sat Nov 09 10:27 pm
Morgan outplayed Clifford today, and to me that was the biggest factor in the outcome of the game.

Clifford missed a couple key passes and PSU receivers had a few drops. I felt that Minnesota's defensive front just couldn't get any pressure against those tree trunk blockers of PSU, and, apparently, Fleck & company doesn't favor the blitz. There were a couple drives that PSU made look easy, but Minnesota's offense answered every time. Despite that, the offense stalled on a key late drive, and it was the defense that had to hold on to give the team a victory today.

That win was legit against a good team, and there wasn't one second until the interception when I felt at ease. Just a slugfest all game long. Afterward, my friends and I just couldn't get over how lucky we were to witness it.

Great win for the team, the coaches, the fans and the alums. This is the kind of season that gets the local kids to stay on and forgo their visit to Wisconsin or Iowa.
Morgan had two incomplete passes. One went through Autman-Bell's hands. The other was a fade route where TJ got held up coming out of the break just a split second and couldn't catch up to it. He was so close to a perfect game its insane.
He also got sacked one time and it was when he decided to pull the ball down and just tried to get back to the LOS cuz Penn State dropped into zone and covered the slant.
Penn State had like 30 sacks in their last 7 games. They got one today. For a loss of 1 yard.
Morgan was phenomenal and so was the OL.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 338 times
Been liked: 340 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 09 11:53 pm

Currently under construction.

Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Sun Nov 10 12:18 am

Where can I find the full game replay from today? Not seeing it on ESPN, or BTN. Thanks
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 12:19 am

I would never blitz against PSU cause if you don't get home a big play is a guarantee. I would rather play safe.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Sun Nov 10 12:20 am

With a whole lot of people arguing that the Gophers should be #4.

This is friggin' surreal.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 12:44 am

I can’t hear the audio when we rushed the field — is it true they played Prince’s “1999” song? If so, bravo! :lol:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Nov 10 1:15 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Sun Nov 10 12:44 am
I can’t hear the audio when we rushed the field — is it true they played Prince’s “1999” song? If so, bravo! :lol:
They did.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 3:13 am

Any recruiting news? I want at least 4 or 5 4-stars in this next batch of recruits!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 306 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 10 6:15 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Nov 09 11:36 pm
streakygopher wrote:

Morgan had two incomplete passes. One went through Autman-Bell's hands. The other was a fade route where TJ got held up coming out of the break just a split second and couldn't catch up to it. He was so close to a perfect game its insane.
He also got sacked one time and it was when he decided to pull the ball down and just tried to get back to the LOS cuz Penn State dropped into zone and covered the slant.
Penn State had like 30 sacks in their last 7 games. They got one today. For a loss of 1 yard.
Morgan was dropping dimes.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 6:20 am

https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/10/n ... ama-baylor

Felt so good waking up this morning and realizing yesterday wasn’t a dream!

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 7:07 am

This is crazy to even see:

I'm not convinced we could hang with any of the other 5 but damn it feels good to be up there.

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by minnhkyruls » Sun Nov 10 7:23 am

Sun Nov 10 3:13 am
Any recruiting news? I want at least 4 or 5 4-stars in this next batch of recruits!
This is what I’m waiting for also. I hope we can get some D line monsters!!!

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 7:25 am

This class is close to full but think the biggest impact is 2021 and 2020. I hope Kaden saw this and can close on him. This will help solidy 2020 recruits and maybe get us another chance with some others but will have the biggest impact on 2021 and beyond.
Last edited by gopherguy06 on Sun Nov 10 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 7:27 am

Some people walking out were complaining about the storming the field. Act like you have been there? We are in uncharted territory with this win streak and haven't breast a top 5 team in 40 years! Enjoy it! I was on the field and have no problem with anyone else doing it. That place was rocking and the celebration was well deserved.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 10 7:36 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 7:07 am
This is crazy to even see:

I'm not convinced we could hang with any of the other 5 but damn it feels good to be up there.
Why not? PSU thinks they can. Everyone else thinks PSU can or they wouldn’t be #4. We beat a team that can hang with that group. We’ll see how PSU plays OSU, but Alabama is human this season and if we keep winning to earn the opportunity why not us? This upset, like I said earlier, is an upset in Vegas odds making only our team is just as good and it wasn’t just another flukey upset in a hope to get a bowl game. If this team plays to their best, I believe they can beat anyone. We put up more points in the first half against PSU than they had allowed in a game all year. PSU gained inside our 5 three times without a TD. This is a very good football team.

The MN narrative is emotional hedging, and for once is unnecessary.

Edit: to add not meant to be snarky toward or directed toward gopherguy06, just rhetorical.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 7:43 am

The best article about yesterday’s win comes to us from PA, of all places. Worth the read:

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootb ... -much.html

If only the Twin Cities had a writing talent like David Jones...

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Nov 10 7:59 am

Armadillo wrote:
Sat Nov 09 10:52 pm
davescharf wrote:
Sat Nov 09 7:14 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Nov 09 5:23 pm
The Gophers are 9-0 for first time in Sid Hartman's life.
I saw Sid walking into the game. I know he’s 99 years old but he’s in really rough shape.

The Bank was really rocking today and the atmosphere was insane. The stadium was pretty full at kickoff and the students were awesome allgame. I loved how they came out and made Penn State look like the team playing their first big game in 15 years. They seem to keep getting better every week.
The argument could be made that if you're 99 years old and walking ANYWHERE, you're doing alright.

I'm still in disbelief over this. Amazing.
True - he was slumped over pretty good with his walker and kind of out of it when the group I was with said hello to him. That said, I do agree being vertical (or somewhat in this case) is better than the alternative
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Nov 10 8:21 am

Sun Nov 10 12:44 am
They also played “the lion sleeps tonight”

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hobey Baker » Sun Nov 10 8:22 am

The U had the better QB, better skilled position players (especially WR)) and the best defensive player on the field.

We controlled the entire game. It shouldn’t have come down to the last drive!

Hopefully Fleck likes it here and wants to build a program like Alvarez did at Wisconsin or McCarthy did in Boulder for a decade. Sure be a lot of fun.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 8:30 am

I was critical of Morgan at the start of the year. I wasnt confident in his arm and thought it lacked strength to do some bombs. I'll gladly eat crow and admit I was wrong. This staff knows his strengths and they play to it, he was smart and on point with his passes. Also credit the offensive line too, they were on point and the staff played it smart keeping Morgan in a max protection all game.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 10 8:33 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Nov 10 8:30 am
I was critical of Morgan at the start of the year. I wasnt confident in his arm and thought it lacked strength to do some bombs. I'll gladly eat crow and admit I was wrong. This staff knows his strengths and they play to it, he was smart and on point with his passes. Also credit the offensive line too, they were on point and the staff played it smart keeping Morgan in a max protection all game.
Same. I lamented his arm strength and apologize.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 10 8:44 am

JWG wrote:
Sun Nov 10 8:33 am
00xtremeninja wrote:
Same. I lamented his arm strength and apologize.
There is nothing to be sorry about. He does lack arm strength. But he makes up for it by not trying to do too much and putting the ball where it needs to be and when it needs to be there.

On the flea flicker play Morgan has two open receivers, one deep and the other mid range. He chose the midrange throw for a safer, yet still huge completion.

I don’t know if he had the arm to make the deep throw. It has to be hard to avoid that deep route when you see the receiver with a step on the DB.

Credit this coaching staff too for adding the extra lineman on Morgan’s blind side to give him more time to make plays.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Sun Nov 10 9:33 am

:good2: :M:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 101 times

Post by Steve MN » Sun Nov 10 9:34 am

"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 214 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 10 9:44 am

Beauner wrote:
Sat Nov 09 11:36 pm
streakygopher wrote:

I think MN had ONE play go for negative yards in the first half. That's amazing. VERY few plays for negative yards for the entire game (not counting penalties).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 9:49 am

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 9:54 am

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Nov 10 9:57 am

This is the win Fleck and the program needed. Now, he's got the contract. He's got the win. He's got the program in the national conversation. What does that mean? Recruits. What does recruits mean? Everything.

I hope he stays here forever. Now all of the sudden things that didn't seem possible are possible.

And not only that. From what I hear, grades are up. That's everything. This program is clean and Fleck can run it clean.

And he said it yesterday on the podium. We're not going to win them all. But, you don't have to assume we're going to lose all the time anymore. That's over./
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Nov 10 10:07 am

Word. Theres gotta be some high school kids in texas, Florida, georgia, etc that saw that game and went "oh hell yeah, I want in on that!"
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by team22tank » Sun Nov 10 10:15 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
Sun Nov 10 10:07 am
Word. Theres gotta be some high school kids in texas, Florida, georgia, etc that saw that game and went "oh hell yeah, I want in on that!"
More importantly there absolutely were kids in the Twin Cities 14-15 years that watched that and they will watch Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Some will be top recruits in this State in a year or two.

And think I HAVE to be part of that. Compile that for a few years and a 14-17 year group will come here.

Do it for a decade and kids grow up with only that experience and the foundation will be built to last. There was a 7 or 8 year old in the Stadium yesterday with his Dad and he won’t ever forget that moment.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 10:15 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
His numbers are crazy this season. On track to break a lot of records.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 10:22 am

Morgan was 18 for 20 with 300 plus yards and 3 TDs. His two misses were one off the hands of the WR and the other was deflected,IIRC. He played against one of the stingiest defenses and we put the most points they have allowed since Michigan.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Orion » Sun Nov 10 10:23 am

Not to sound too Minnesotan, but if we make the playoffs we still won't get to go to the Rose Bowl! :M2: :good2:

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Nov 10 10:30 am

Took my Dad yesterday he had not been to a game in the Stadium but did tour it back when it opened.

I knew growing up we did not got to any games at the Dome together so I asked if he recalled going to any. Not that he could recall.

He said he remembers as a kid, living on the West Side, getting a ride over to Memorial with his brothers and they would sell news papers around the Stadium and then get it.

He is a U Grad and loved every second of it yesterday.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 10 10:54 am

Orion wrote:
Sun Nov 10 10:23 am
Not to sound too Minnesotan, but if we make the playoffs we still won't get to go to the Rose Bowl! :M2: :good2:
One game at a time including NW, but if we win in Iowa our odds of playing in a Rose Bowl go WAY up... I'm going to be more nervous for the IA game than I was for this one.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Zwak » Sun Nov 10 11:00 am

This projection has Gophers going to Rose Bowl

https://www.bannersociety.com/pages/bow ... redictions
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 10 11:04 am

Well ya if you project right now that's the obvious landing spot.

Still need to take care of business and win the division before even thinking Roses
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 11:12 am

I was at work...avoiding hearing about the game as best as possible. Then I went on break and someone told me it was 14-10 and my next couple hours were TORTURE! I had a friend text me the halftime update randomly which was awesome and then I made the mistake of saying he can only text me "Good News" as the game goes on. Not a whole lot of texts in the second half but when we scored to make it 31-19 I was able to relax a bit. Then one of my coworkers takes out his phone after PSU scores...we watch the gamecast of the 3 and out and he then walked away. I had to pace back and forth until I got the final text from my buddy...

All my friend and I have said since before the season was we need to enjoy and see where this goes. When the bye hit our mantra was "But...What if?". Sure we arent running the table but what if? Most likely we lose to PSU...but what if? He and I have been fans since we were kids. (me a bit longer cause my dad is a U grad and used to take me to games when I was old enough to walk) For the first time we allowed ourselves to dream a bit...not "Hey wouldnt it be cool if we somehow beat this awesome team!!" (like in 1999 in Happy Valley) but "What if this is that classic season, what if this is the team of destiny, what if..." and it is probably the most fun I have had in YEARS as a Gopher fan. Dont get me wrong, going into a season I always will feel like "Hope Springs Eternal" and wish for the best...but for the first time in close to 20 years I have a confidence that the team is actually good not just playing above their heads.

Now of course I dont think we are running the table, hell I dont think anyone would be surprised if we struggled in Iowa City next week. We arent there yet, nor were we supposed to be. This is just a sample of what is to come, a little taster of what we might be building. This is the 1993 BADgers (the ones we prevented from having a shot at a National Title...thank you Jim Wacker!) which was when they started their run. This is the foundation, this is the beginning. This is where we put people on notice that we arent just looking to be average, we are aspiring to something better and for once, it isnt a pipedream. We arent Ohio State, we arent Michigan...right now as it stands we arent even Iowa and Wisconsin...but we WILL be.

9-10 wins was my hope for the season, and if we beat NW we get that. BT West Title is the next goal (however we do it) and a matchup with (most likely) tOSU who is arguably the best team in the country. Big Ten Titles and CFP bids are nice but that is just not something I see coming. Rose Bowl is the liklier goal...

But...WHAT IF?!?!?
Last edited by Handyman on Sun Nov 10 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 11:15 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 11:04 am
Well ya if you project right now that's the obvious landing spot.

Still need to take care of business and win the division before even thinking Roses
Do we play for the team? The team should definitely ignore all of this, but why should we?

We can dream about whatever we want it has zero effect on anything. I am going to spend the next 3 weeks dreaming big and enjoying the ride. This type of stuff doesnt come around here very often so soak it in and let the chips fall where they may.

Magic Number is 2.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 11:25 am

Not sure this will work but the graphic is insane to think about :shock:

edit: In case you cant see it the stat is "Highest Completion Percentage Against AP Top 5 Team Last 20 Years"

Tanner - 90% vs. PSU
Tua - 88.9% vs. OU
Tebow - 88.6% against Cincy
Andrew Luck - 87.1% against OKState

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 10 11:37 am

And he was a short hair away from 100%.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Sun Nov 10 11:38 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 11:12 am
I was at work...avoiding hearing about the game as best as possible. Then I went on break and someone told me it was 14-10 and my next couple hours were TORTURE! I had a friend text me the halftime update randomly which was awesome and then I made the mistake of saying he can only text me "Good News" as the game goes on. Not a whole lot of texts in the second half but when we scored to make it 31-19 I was able to relax a bit. Then one of my coworkers takes out his phone after PSU scores...we watch the gamecast of the 3 and out and he then walked away. I had to pace back and forth until I got the final text from my buddy...

All my friend and I have said since before the season was we need to enjoy and see where this goes. When the bye hit our mantra was "But...What if?". Sure we arent running the table but what if? Most likely we lose to PSU...but what if? He and I have been fans since we were kids. (me a bit longer cause my dad is a U grad and used to take me to games when I was old enough to walk) For the first time we allowed ourselves to dream a bit...not "Hey wouldnt it be cool if we somehow beat this awesome team!!" (like in 1999 in Happy Valley) but "What if this is that classic season, what if this is the team of destiny, what if..." and it is probably the most fun I have had in YEARS as a Gopher fan. Dont get me wrong, going into a season I always will feel like "Hope Springs Eternal" and wish for the best...but for the first time in close to 20 years I have a confidence that the team is actually good not just playing above their heads.

Now of course I dont think we are running the table, hell I dont think anyone would be surprised if we struggled in Iowa City next week. We arent there yet, nor were we supposed to be. This is just a sample of what is to come, a little taster of what we might be building. This is the 1993 BADgers SUCK (the ones we prevented from having a shot at a National Title...thank you Jim Wacker!) which was when they started their run. This is the foundation, this is the beginning. This is where we put people on notice that we arent just looking to be average, we are aspiring to something better and for once, it isnt a pipedream. We arent Ohio State, we arent Michigan...right now as it stands we arent even Iowa and Wisconsin...but we WILL be.

9-10 wins was my hope for the season, and if we beat NW we get that. BT West Title is the next goal (however we do it) and a matchup with (most likely) tOSU who is arguably the best team in the country. Big Ten Titles and CFP bids are nice but that is just not something I see coming. Rose Bowl is the liklier goal...

But...WHAT IF?!?!?
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46473/if---

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Nov 10 11:40 am

What matters most to me is the era of losing and revolving coaches ends. They were close with Mason. But, with Fleck you have the key differences.

1. The High School coaches like Fleck.
2. Fleck's teams play defense.

Let's hope he stays long than Mason did and builds something that sustains over time. That's way more important than anything that happens the rest of this season.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 10 12:03 pm

7 in coaches poll
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 10 12:09 pm

I can't imagine climbing much higher than that in the others especially from 17
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 12:11 pm

Minnesota’s record from the eyes of a Nebraska fan:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 10 12:13 pm

Or an MSU fan
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 12:30 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 12:09 pm
Its gonna be close. They could be anywhere from 4-8 but I am guessing 6. Their win is better than the wins of a lot of teams including Bama. (what is their best win aTm?) SEC bias will keep Bama Top 4 but I am predicting there will be an overcorrection with the 1 loss teams to move the Gophs up. It will look bad if teams like Georgia stay ahead of us when they have bad losses and we are undefeated with a victory against a (at the time) Top 5 team.

As someone said on Ghole...we have a better SOS than Clemson.

Hell our second best victory (Illinois) is equal to Oregon's best victory. (USC who has the same record as Illinois)
It is better than Utah's who is ASU.
(also cribbed from Face the Facts on Ghole)

Dont even get me started if Oklahoma is ranked above us.

On the other hand though...I literally never thought a conversation like this would ever happen so I aint even mad :dup:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Nov 10 12:34 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 12:09 pm
The only one they were ranked 17 in is the CFP poll. And allegedly they weigh a lot more in to recent results than the AP and coaches.

If that's the case, Minnesota should be 5-6-7 range.

team22tank
Veteran

Post by team22tank » Sun Nov 10 12:35 pm

team22tank wrote:
Sat Oct 19 10:00 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Oct 19 9:06 pm
team22tank wrote:
Sat Oct 19 8:44 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Oct 19 5:56 pm
Sports psychology:
Do you want PSU and Iowa coming off huge wins and maybe letting down or frustrated after losses?
Iowa doesn’t matter.

Penn State, 100% coming off a win and hopefully 8-0 and rated as high as possible.

This program has never finished when it has counted in the 2000s. If the Gophers are 8-0 playing at home at night against an 8-0 Penn State top 5 team that is exactly what you live for.
Why doesn’t Iowa matter?
In regards to Bonin’s question, do the Gophers want PSU and Iowa losing going into the Gopher game.

For me, I don’t care what Iowa does they are already a two loss team. If I had to choose I would say best record possible so a win.

But PSU, I want them 8-0 and as a top 5 team. If you are going to do it, do it big.
Bingo

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 12:47 pm

I just read they had Nystrom do the "Do the Gopher" bit? THAT IS AWESOME!

The U was in full troll mode...I am not sure we have ever been as on point as we have been this season :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Nov 10 12:50 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 12:47 pm

The U was in full troll mode...I am not sure we have ever been as on point as we have been this season :)
They brought a bunch of the 1999 guys out for a bit and played the Arlan Bruce catch and field goal on the big screen too. 🤣

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 12:55 pm

Iowa doesnt matter because they lost to Wisconsin. The winner of that game matters because of the Big Ten West Title. Of course if we beat Iowa and NW then BADgers dont matter anyways. For me the West Title is the biggest deal. I want us playing for the Big Ten Title no matter what.

PSU matters for the NATIONAL picture. (and obviously because it is a HUGE win that defines the program) but if we had lost our fortunes were still in our hands. The CFP talk goes away though ;) Actually PSU also matters because assuming they lose to tOSU then the Gophers are all but locked to make the Rose Bowl if they win the West. (barring some weird scenario where they win the West with like 3 losses) That is a big friggin deal!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 12:56 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Nov 10 12:50 pm
Handyman wrote:

They brought a bunch of the 1999 guys out for a bit and played the Arlan Bruce catch and field goal on the big screen too. 🤣
Playing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" after the game is a nice touch as well :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 1:01 pm

Holy crap...that legit gave me goosebumps :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 1:19 pm

Ranked #7 in AP as well

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 1:22 pm

Highest ranking in the AP poll since 1962 :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 10 1:27 pm

7 in AP poll. Seems fair. A couple teams if we win next week we should jump. For sure Oregon and if the voters have guts Georgia.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Nov 10 1:29 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Nov 10 12:50 pm
Handyman wrote:

The U brought everyone back they could imagine to pump up the crowd. Tony Dungy, Bobby Bell, Dan Nystrom, Ron Johnson, Erik Decker, Blake Cashman. Any former alum who wanted to make a pump up clip, the U was all over it.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 10 1:30 pm

To be fair, getting Ron Johnson back isn’t too hard. Just have to open the locker room door and invite him in. 🤣
JWG
[This space for rent]

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Nov 10 1:35 pm

Handyman wrote:

Ya I was really happy they did that. Love that guy

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Nov 10 1:40 pm

JWG wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:30 pm
To be fair, getting Ron Johnson back isn’t too hard. Just have to open the locker room door and invite him in. 🤣
I was very tempted to write out 3RonJohnson instead of his actual name. His self promotion is second to none, not that that's a bad thing.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Nov 10 1:41 pm

Opening betting line for next week in offshore books, Iowa favored by 2 points. Over/Under at 44.5 points.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 1:46 pm

I’m glad - allows us to keep the chip on our collective shoulder.

#RevengeTour2019 continues to roll!!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 1:54 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:40 pm
JWG wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:30 pm
I was very tempted to write out 3RonJohnson instead of his actual name. His self promotion is second to none, not that that's a bad thing.
Wait...Ron Johnson is on Twitter? :shock: :lol: :wink:

I do love that he has been pimping the Gophers pretty much every week on Whine Line. He LOVES the U and I think he wants to marry Fleck!

The picture he posted of him with Decker and TJ was pretty awesome.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 1:58 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:41 pm
Opening betting line for next week in offshore books, Iowa favored by 2 points. Over/Under at 44.5 points.
Wow...I did not see that coming. Be interesting to see if it moves though I doubt it does unless something very odd happens. I mean Iowa is ranked an all and they lost a close one at Sconnie but still. The Books must think a let down is coming.

I got a feeling if the CFP poll slights us the team might put a hurting on Iowa to prove a point. Of course they should do that anyways cause...well...they are Iowa but we definitely seem to be playing with a chip on our shoulder. And not in the "woe is us" type of way, in the "I guess we need to show them who we are" sort of way.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Sun Nov 10 2:08 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:58 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 1:41 pm
Wow...I did not see that coming. Be interesting to see if it moves though I doubt it does unless something very odd happens. I mean Iowa is ranked an all and they lost a close one at Sconnie but still. The Books must think a let down is coming.

I got a feeling if the CFP poll slights us the team might put a hurting on Iowa to prove a point. Of course they should do that anyways cause...well...they are Iowa but we definitely seem to be playing with a chip on our shoulder. And not in the "woe is us" type of way, in the "I guess we need to show them who we are" sort of way.
I’ll trade you the hockey tickets and let’s go to Iowa! We haven’t driven there in how many years??

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 2:50 pm

Handyman wrote:

They had a bunch of former players.includin Tony Dungy. They palyed 1999 and Lion sleeps tonight after the win. So epic trolling.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Nov 10 2:55 pm

A little surprised at the 2 PT underdog but isn't it usually around 3 for being a home team so about even or slightly favoring us. We won an emotional game and haven't won there in a long time, so could be a tight one. I know they want the Pig

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun Nov 10 3:07 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Nov 10 2:55 pm
A little surprised at the 2 PT underdog but isn't it usually around 3 for being a home team so about even or slightly favoring us. We won an emotional game and haven't won there in a long time, so could be a tight one. I know they want the Pig
According to one Sconnie player, Wisconsin won the pig. :lol: (0:38 mark)

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by D2D » Sun Nov 10 3:17 pm

I think it would be nearly impossible to match Saturday's intensity level, for which the ~50,000 hometown fans deserve a lot of credit. The coaching staff sure has their work cut out for them this week at practice. But if anybody is up to the task...plus the rowing will be easier 'cause we'll be paddling downstream. ;)
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 10 3:38 pm

Just finished watching the first half and here are my thoughts:

Good lord The Bank was loud! I honestly can't believe it. The atmosphere even through the TV was electric! At points you couldn't hear the announcers :dup:

Speaking of...I love McDonough doing games. Doesn't matter the sport he is always great.

Winfield's first INT was a thing of beauty. That is as good a play as a safety can make in coverage.

The offense was everything I dreamed of with the guys we have. Our run game is bouyed by an amazing offensive line and when teams try to stop it our WRs can destroy you one on one.

But the straw that stirs the drink is Tanner. The first TD was all on him. He saw the blitz coming and saw the safety was too far away to cover in time and BOOM! He threaded needles, he made the correct reads and his incompletions weren't mistakes.

Oh and Fleck and Rossi outcoached Franklin badly in that half. The changing on the fly, the swapping positions when the QB was looking to the sidelines and the noise cost them 2 TDs. They weren't prepared for our wrinkles or the noise. I know the adjust but still. The Gophs gave up plays but they made PSU panic at bad times near or in the Red Zone.

I saw PSU fans whine about the PI on the second INT and they are right there should have been a call. The refs let similar PI go when TJ scored his TD. The refs seemed pretty consistent in letting the teams play.

Minnesota by far was the better team in the first half.

-Scooby 2/7/2017