Gopher Football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Gopher Football 2019

Post by 00xtremeninja » Fri Nov 01 2:52 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Fri Nov 01 2:47 pm
Handyman wrote:
Thu Oct 31 7:28 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Oct 31 1:31 pm
40,000 people aren't going to get a maroon poncho
No but they could wear something maroon over their jacket...plenty of cheapo tshirts out there. Go on Ebay and get a cheapo pullover. This isnt rocket science.

I have a Maroon gortex style M jacket I would wear if I could go.

Here I will help:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnesota-Goph ... SwpmNbJHJA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnesota-Goph ... 5427!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minnesota-goph ... SwkW5ds167

https://www.ebay.com/itm/University-of- ... Swbw1aCktj

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-and-Barr ... Sw-FRcFbuf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Minnes ... SwgHRdTyuh

All under $25. Hell go to Goodwill I find Gopher stuff there all the time for pennies on the dollar.
Looks like Brewster is still selling his Gopher gear.
So they each provide hype and false hope of being warm, but come game time you find they are as warm as a plastic bag?
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 230 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 01 3:07 pm

Anyone have a brick wall handy?

Currently under construction.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 01 4:31 pm

👀👀👀
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 01 4:56 pm

I saw that last night and had to do a double take
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Fri Nov 01 10:00 pm

The fact that it is November and a person can make that prediction without being fired or sent for a drug test immediately makes me happy.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Nov 01 10:08 pm

With 4 games left, lots of possibilities and could win any of them. At this point, losing all 4 would suck. Hoping for 2-2 but 3-1 is possible.

Big game next week!

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 326 times

Post by Handyman » Fri Nov 01 10:15 pm

2-2 is doubly good if we beat the winner of DrunkEvil/StupidEvil! I want the division title!
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Nov 01 10:23 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Nov 01 10:15 pm
2-2 is doubly good if we beat the winner of DrunkEvil/StupidEvil! I want the division title!
I would take a lots to Penn State and win against one or both of Wi/Ia

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by MATT » Fri Nov 01 11:06 pm

Let’s just go 4-0!!

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sat Nov 02 6:37 am

MATT wrote:
Fri Nov 01 11:06 pm
Let’s just go 4-0!!
Ha sure that's possible but I don't think it will happen.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Nov 02 9:33 am

Gameday will be in Tuscaloosa next week.

Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 02 9:39 am

Go LSU
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 76 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sat Nov 02 10:12 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Nov 02 9:33 am
Gameday will be in Tuscaloosa next week.

Doubt he said it, even in private. They’re notoriously tight-lipped about revealing locations until later in the evening or tomorrow. This Cecil guy is a Bama reporter. He’s probably getting nervous...

If he IS tweeting the truth, then good luck being told anything in confidence anymore from Kirk and Co. :lol:

Even after Minny destroys PSU next weekend, the narrative will be how we destroyed the B1G’s chances of getting 2 teams in the playoff*. Who cares- keep rowing that boat!

*we could still get two, since aOSU will likely sneak in after we narrowly beat them in OT in the B1G championship game.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by JWG » Sat Nov 02 11:07 am

Bring me the news also reporting Gameday to Tuscaloosa. Some crazy stats on Gameday:
- Have done the LSU vs AL game 11 times
- Have been to Tuscaloosa 46 times
- Have been at a game with LSU 3 times already this season

That’s ridiculous. I say don’t ever come. I’m fine if we become the only site they’ve never been to as they keep knocking sites off.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 02 11:12 am

Dude you gotta get over it the SEC is the $h!t and that is 1 vs 2.

Fans need to stop thinking about maroon outs and gameday. Just get excited for the game. Gophers will need the positive energy if they're going to pull it off.

Wins games like this, then you will get the rewards you deserve.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 02 11:47 am

I still dont get the hub bub for it anyways. It is a stupid pre-game show. You really want to hang out with Lee Corso that much? He was senile and crazy 7 years ago when I was still watching it I can only imagine how ridiculous he is now.

Even if I think the $EC is overinflated in the rankings every year (and I do) it is #1 vs #2 in the AP poll (theoretically might not be in the CFP Poll but who knows) and it is two name brand schools. If I was the one choosing I would have them going there as well. It isnt like they are choosing to go to NDSU vs. South Dakota instead of coming here...outside of gamblers and Big Ten fans no one cares about this matchup right now whereas LSU vs. Bama will get HUGE ratings and has major implications going forward. (loser isnt out of the playoffs) Our game doesnt because most likely neither of us will make the Playoffs (PSU still plays tOSU as does Minnesota if they win the West) and both teams could still make the BT Title Game even if they lose. More people will care about LSU vs. Bama there is no 2 ways about it.

There is no controversy here. This is not them "insulting us" (another Minnesota Fan staple) they are making the choice that makes the most logical sense. Hell just the amount of people who will show up to be at Gameday in Tuscaloosa will dwarf what would show up here.

Just go to the game and enjoy it. And no matter the outcome continue enjoying it until the end of the season. Stop worrying about stupid little crap in an effort to ruin things for yourself. You dont need Game Day to come here to justify your fandom...just soak in what is going on and be happy.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Nov 02 11:58 am

Meh. I’m good and comfortable with hoping they don’t come. I enjoy the mystique around being one the dwindling no show sites.
JWG
[This space for rent]

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Nov 02 12:01 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Nov 02 11:58 am
Meh. I’m good and comfortable with hoping they don’t come. I enjoy the mystique around being one the dwindling no show sites.
That's where I am now. I hope it never happens.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by JC65 » Sat Nov 02 12:27 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Nov 02 12:01 pm
JWG wrote:
Sat Nov 02 11:58 am
That's where I am now. I hope it never happens.
I agree, it doesn't make any difference, directly, to me.

However, I suspect that getting on gameday once every couple of years would help recruiting.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Nov 02 12:59 pm

I’m not mad they’re not coming, I’m mad they kept teasing it in conversation. We all knew they were going to Tuscaloosa. Plus, I really don’t like Herbstreit.

So, instead, bring the BTN Tailgate team back to mix it up with Fox 9 who will be there (even though the game is on ABC).

I like Jerry.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 02 2:25 pm

They never really teased it at all. Herbstreit has been saying for 2 weeks they are going to Tuscaloosa. As far as I can tell all the speculation about it being here either came from local sources or people "who heard it from other people". The odds were 9999999999:1 at best.

I have never cared if it was coming, wont care if it ever does and will care even less if it doesnt.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 02 2:29 pm

Ya when did they tease it at all lol
Sick of LOSERVILLE

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Nov 02 3:36 pm

They talked about it a lot. Showed people with Gameday signs in front of TCF last week. There was incessant discussion on ESPN about Gameday coming to MN, not that they were but about the idea. You know you’re not, so don’t talk about it like you might.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 02 4:46 pm

Or you could just ignore it...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 02 10:05 pm

No it "doesn't matter" if GD came here or not to most of us, but to a lot of people it does matter and ESPN had a chance to get it right rather than the status quo.

Ratings? A pre-game show doesn't get enough viewers that a marginal difference in ratings means nothing and the actual football game wouldn't be impacted in the slightest were GD not in Tuscaloosa. However it is a small thing and nothing to get worked up about. Move onto the game.

The Gophers need to keep taking care of business and keep winning until they play Wisconsin. In the end people will remember that far more than a GD visit.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Nov 02 11:21 pm

Unrelated to Gameday, BTN Tailgate needs to stop determining their sites so far in advance. Next week, already pre-determined was BTN Tailgate at Northwestern for NU vs. Purdue. Our game or Iowa at WI would be way better (frankly any game would be better).
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 03 1:36 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Nov 02 10:05 pm
No it "doesn't matter" if GD came here or not to most of us, but to a lot of people it does matter and ESPN had a chance to get it right rather than the status quo.

Ratings? A pre-game show doesn't get enough viewers that a marginal difference in ratings means nothing and the actual football game wouldn't be impacted in the slightest were GD not in Tuscaloosa. However it is a small thing and nothing to get worked up about. Move onto the game.

The Gophers need to keep taking care of business and keep winning until they play Wisconsin. In the end people will remember that far more than a GD visit.
Our chance is the Axe Game...this isnt even news this has been the case since it became apparent this game could be a battle of unbeatens. It was never going to be here unless either LSU or Bama lost and that is what people have been saying for weeks. Game Day didnt even really pretend otherwise people just ignored it until the formal announcement then acted all upset and shocked even though it was about as obvious as saying "The idiot in Wisconsin did something stupid cause he was drunk" :lol:

BTW on the topic of being in the stadium...according to Ghole they opened up tickets in 222 (which I think they said was a student section usually) for $65 a piece. I just checked and there is 59 seats including 2 whole rows (and another with all but 4 seats open) so if that doesnt seem too high a price you can get a bunch together. Just saying.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Nov 03 6:02 am

The week we play Wisconsin is rivalry week so you get big games like Michigan vs fOSU, Alabama vs Auburn, Florida vs FSU etc.

Minnesota vs Wisconsin is big too but they have all the excuses they need to pass up Minneapolis for Gameday location that week. Watch the heads explode.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 03 11:51 am

Maybe, but most of those rivalries will have nothing on the line. Ours "could".

I'm not saying they will be here but the chances are way better than they after going up against #1 vs. #2.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 03 11:53 am

Just don't "tease" it or JWG will burn down the ESPN studios if they don't come!
Sick of LOSERVILLE

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Nov 03 1:41 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Nov 03 11:53 am
Just don't "tease" it or JWG will burn down the ESPN studios if they don't come!
:roll:
JWG
[This space for rent]

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Nov 03 8:28 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Nov 02 11:21 pm
Unrelated to Gameday, BTN Tailgate needs to stop determining their sites so far in advance. Next week, already pre-determined was BTN Tailgate at Northwestern for NU vs. Purdue. Our game or Iowa at WI would be way better (frankly any game would be better).
They don't try and go to the hot game. They had them scheduled so far in advance so that each school got to host once this season.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 03 9:18 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sun Nov 03 11:53 am
You say that like it is a bad thing. ESPN is awful and have been a money suck for Disney for years.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Nov 03 9:27 pm

BTW student section having issues selling out. If the students dont care why the heck should Game Day?

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 03 9:29 pm

Would be very curious to see the trend of Minnesotan undergrads and foreign (specifically Chinese) undergrads at the U over time.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Nov 03 10:29 pm

Espn.com has a "'What's next for FSU after firing Taggart?" link.
In the picture associated with said link? PJ Fleck.

:ahhh:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Nov 03 10:34 pm

That kind of discussion will happen for the rest of our lives probably whenever Gopher football and basketball are good.

Thank goodness hockey is not like that.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Nov 04 8:37 am

I always want our coaches in the spotlight for this reason - it means they're good and our teams are performing. We just need to hire coaches that say no and want to be here.
JWG
[This space for rent]

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Mon Nov 04 9:20 am

Handyman wrote:
Sun Nov 03 9:27 pm
BTW student section having issues selling out. If the students dont care why the heck should Game Day?
That just makes me sad. We have a massive number of students and it’s not like they’re out pricing students

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Nov 04 9:48 am

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Mon Nov 04 9:20 am
Handyman wrote:
That just makes me sad. We have a massive number of students and it’s not like they’re out pricing students
Our student population is very different than other campuses. It isn't an excuse, but a lot, maybe the majority are commuters or don't live on campus.

I am not sure, but how many tickets are available in the student section?

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by george » Mon Nov 04 10:08 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Nov 04 9:48 am
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Our student population is very different than other campuses. It isn't an excuse, but a lot, maybe the majority are commuters or don't live on campus.
That used to be true (like waaaaaay back when I attended). But I don't think that's the case anymore. The U and private companies have been building on, or adjacent, campus housing at a furious pace for several years.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 04 10:11 am

It was a commuter school that when I was there and students still went to games...and we friggin bussed to the Dome.

As for the Fleck rumors...again all the media ever does is tell us all our coaches are leaving to go elsewhere for better jobs. The last time it happened Back to the Future was in the theaters (give or take) and the guy left for his dream job. The Gophers arent in the MAC, they are in the Big Ten and that just doesnt happen all that often. Fans need to relax and learn to just not take it seriously. If Glen Mason and Tubby didnt leave when they were named in LITERALLY every coaching search it should tell you something.

I am not saying he is a lock to stay, but freaking out because the media names Fleck as a good choice doesnt mean he is taking the job.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Mon Nov 04 10:36 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Nov 04 9:48 am
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Handyman wrote:

I am not sure, but how many tickets are available in the student section?
Eh, how far are they commuting from? I agree with George, this isn’t as much of a thing anymore. We’re not trying to sell 30,000 student tickets.

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Mon Nov 04 10:41 am

I know you should take coaches words with a grain of salt at times, but Fleck did say coaching in the Big10 was his dream. He has done absolutely nothing in his time here that would lead me to think he was lying about that. I'm not sweating the ideas of him leaving. Hell I'm just thrilled the dude has gotten us back to being a relevant program again. I wanna take away the recruits that would choose Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan State over us, and then you start getting more success and we take away kids that would lock in Michigan and The School That Is A Stupid Seed.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Mon Nov 04 10:45 am

Someone pointed out that Taggart was 9-12 in his brief tenure at FSU.
Fleck, through 21, was also 9-12.

Now, FSU is a different program, but Fleck is about to get paid the big bucks for having 1 good to great season (outcome TBD) vs. getting fired in less than 2 years for not turning things fast enough.

Unless there's something more going on then W's and L's, that's ridiculously quick to fire a coach and I would think coaching candidates will see that, too.
JWG
[This space for rent]

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Nov 04 11:03 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Nov 04 10:11 am
It was a commuter school that when I was there and students still went to games...and we friggin bussed to the Dome.
Yeah and the dome was empty lol.
Handyman wrote:

As for the Fleck rumors...again all the media ever does is tell us all our coaches are leaving to go elsewhere for better jobs. The last time it happened Back to the Future was in the theaters (give or take) and the guy left for his dream job. The Gophers arent in the MAC, they are in the Big Ten and that just doesnt happen all that often. Fans need to relax and learn to just not take it seriously. If Glen Mason and Tubby didnt leave when they were named in LITERALLY every coaching search it should tell you something.

I am not saying he is a lock to stay, but freaking out because the media names Fleck as a good choice doesnt mean he is taking the job.
As for this I fully agree, Bielema isn't a good comparison for the reasons you laid out in a previous post before someone brings that up. The only way I see it happening is if Fleck has always had a destination in mind and they make an offer, if the U won't match some other school that is willing to pay far more, or something else is the issue (his wife hates the cold or whatever, this is probably on the lower end of possibilities).

Also he hasn't even beat PSU people and we've had a cupcake schedule thus far so the people freaking out are putting the cart before the horse to say the least, not to mention creating click bait for the pessimists of this region (and there's no shortage).
Last edited by trixR4kids on Mon Nov 04 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Chris83 » Mon Nov 04 11:09 am

It's November 4th, the Gophers are undefeated, ranked 13th in the nation and heading into the biggest game in decades on Saturday. After I confirm my data, that I am NOT on another earth in the multiverse, I just sit back and enjoy what all of this is. I can't control whether PJ Fleck will leave the "U" for another school and therefore that is the extent of my thought concerning it.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Composer » Mon Nov 04 11:42 am

Maybe the multiverse where Lou Holtz didn't leave would even be better!

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Maize » Mon Nov 04 11:48 am

BTN added Minnesota as a second location for whatever their Tailgate thing is(they'll also be at the huge Northwestern-Purdue game, obviously), so y'all can stop chasing people down on the street to let them know how much you don't care about Gameday between gasps for breath.

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Nov 04 12:42 pm

*whew* ;)
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Nov 04 4:19 pm

Nevermind me. Just running through walls in preparation for Saturday’s game.

It’s time to Row. The. Boat. :ahhh: :ahhh: :dance:

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by D2D » Mon Nov 04 5:11 pm

Game day forecast 5 days out: Cloudy, high of 35, 20% chance of precip, wind out of the West at 8 mph

So a little chilly, but could be worse!

Border Gopher
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Border Gopher » Mon Nov 04 7:39 pm

Anyone have any parking tips for someone that hasn't been to a hockey game or football game in years and lives out of town? I don't mind a decent walk, even if it's cold. My preferences would be cheap/free and easy to get out of. Would be coming from and going back to St. Louis Park. I remember doing street parking for a game at Mariucci years ago, but I would imagine a football game of this magnitude is a different beast. Thanks for any help

Edit: Anyone use Park & Ride?
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Nov 04 8:04 pm

Light rail is a great option.

Border Gopher
Veteran

Post by Border Gopher » Mon Nov 04 8:11 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Mon Nov 04 8:04 pm
Yes, I kind of forgot about that for a second. How much of a zoo is it at the end of a game?

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by davescharf » Mon Nov 04 8:43 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
We were thinking about doing that. I haven't been to the Bank for a Gopher game in a long time so I'm looking forward to it

Thanks to whomever it was (Vegoe maybe) who mentioned the free tickets for Vets. I told my Dad and he got 4 of them since I wasn't sure I'd be able to go, but it all worked out.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Aldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Aldy » Mon Nov 04 8:46 pm

Border Gopher wrote:
Mon Nov 04 7:39 pm
Anyone have any parking tips for someone that hasn't been to a hockey game or football game in years and lives out of town? I don't mind a decent walk, even if it's cold. My preferences would be cheap/free and easy to get out of. Would be coming from and going back to St. Louis Park. I remember doing street parking for a game at Mariucci years ago, but I would imagine a football game of this magnitude is a different beast. Thanks for any help

If you don't mind walking a little bit, I've had success parking on Como Avenue between 10th and 15th Avenues SE.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Nov 04 8:47 pm

Border Gopher wrote:

The park and ride at the state fair lot is slick and easy. Parking only $10 or if you want to walk a few blocks, there’s free parking all over the fair. Plenty of busses so the wait is never long. Even leaving the game the line can look big, but I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes. Usually it’s just a couple minute wait. Also, the traffic leaving the fair is far less than around the stadium.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Nov 04 8:47 pm

Border Gopher wrote:
Mon Nov 04 8:11 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Yes, I kind of forgot about that for a second. How much of a zoo is it at the end of a game?
It's a zoo but manageable. Or grab a beer/food at a local spot and kill time

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 04 9:04 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Nov 04 11:03 am
Handyman wrote:
Yeah and the dome was empty lol.
Handyman wrote:

As for this I fully agree, Bielema isn't a good comparison for the reasons you laid out in a previous post before someone brings that up. The only way I see it happening is if Fleck has always had a destination in mind and they make an offer, if the U won't match some other school that is willing to pay far more, or something else is the issue (his wife hates the cold or whatever, this is probably on the lower end of possibilities).

Also he hasn't even beat PSU people and we've had a cupcake schedule thus far so the people freaking out are putting the cart before the horse to say the least, not to mention creating click bait for the pessimists of this region (and there's no shortage).
Actually student tickets sold well at the Dome and they showed up. It helped that when I was there the team was actually pretty decent.

And I believe the students get 10k tickets...amd they rarely get close to selling out. I believe they have opened 2 sections to the public already for this game.

As for parking...park in Prospect Park. It is a mile up university (near the Watchtower) and all the street parking is open. Eay walk to TCF and getting on 94 from there after the game is fast and easy. I miss living over there.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Nov 04 10:47 pm

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Nov 04 11:46 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Nov 04 9:04 pm
Actually student tickets sold well at the Dome and they showed up. It helped that when I was there the team was actually pretty decent.

And I believe the students get 10k tickets...amd they rarely get close to selling out. I believe they have opened 2 sections to the public already for this game.
IDK what years you're talking about but we're in an era where sports attendance is down and the cost of going to school has only went up since then, not to mention the team had been bad to mediocre for like 15 years, this being the first time in forever there's been any reason to get excited about this program (and we still need to actually play the hard part of our schedule). I also kinda doubt student attendance average at TCF was that much worse than the Dome's average if at all (though obviously there's no great way to prove this).

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Mon Nov 04 11:47 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Nov 04 10:47 pm
****Breaking**** PJ has now been offered the Kirk Ferentz contract, everyone is mad about that now ;)

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 04 11:53 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Nov 04 11:46 pm
Handyman wrote:

IDK what years you're talking about but we're in an era where sports attendance is down and the cost of going to school has only went up since then, not to mention the team had been bad to mediocre for like 15 years, this being the first time in forever there's been any reason to get excited about this program (and we still need to actually play the hard part of our schedule). I also kinda doubt student attendance average at TCF was that much worse than the Dome's average if at all (though obviously there's no great way to prove this).
My first year of student season tickets was 1999 when Mason took us to the Sun Bowl. I had them every year I was a student (longer than I should have been) which was most of Mason's good years.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Nov 04 11:55 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Nov 04 10:47 pm
Not possible he already took the Notre Dame, USC, FSU and Michigan jobs :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue Nov 05 12:17 am

Source: Western Michigan and football coach P.J. Fleck are in active negotiations on a new contract. Said to be "close" to being finalized.

— Tony Paul (@TonyPaul1984) December 8, 2016

Assuming the best, and he signs an extension, I hope/assume his staff will also be taken care of.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Nov 05 12:32 am

Kind of a different situation...

On another note:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 05 3:05 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Nov 04 11:53 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Mon Nov 04 11:46 pm
Handyman wrote:

My first year of student season tickets was 1999 when Mason took us to the Sun Bowl. I had them every year I was a student (longer than I should have been) which was most of Mason's good years.
You were there - what would you know.

Border Gopher
Veteran

Post by Border Gopher » Tue Nov 05 6:51 am

Thanks for the parking ideas. Handy's suggestion sounds like what I'm looking for. Como Ave looks sort of rough lol.

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Composer » Tue Nov 05 7:26 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Nov 04 8:47 pm
Border Gopher wrote:

The park and ride at the state fair lot is slick and easy. Parking only $10 or if you want to walk a few blocks, there’s free parking all over the fair. Plenty of busses so the wait is never long. Even leaving the game the line can look big, but I’ve never waited more than 10 minutes. Usually it’s just a couple minute wait. Also, the traffic leaving the fair is far less than around the stadium.
I must admit--I do get plenty of busses!

00xtremeninja
Veteran

Post by 00xtremeninja » Tue Nov 05 8:14 am

There now we can put these "Hes leaving" things to rest. Until he beats PSU and then people start freaking out about schools buying him out lol

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Nov 05 8:22 am

00xtremeninja wrote:
Tue Nov 05 8:14 am

There now we can put these "Hes leaving" things to rest. Until he beats PSU and then people start freaking out about schools buying him out lol
I'll tiptoe over to Gopherhole and see how this is going.

I hear Fleck is only around 10th-11th highest paid coach in the B1G. If true, then they may want to lock him down before Saturday, just in case.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Vegoe » Tue Nov 05 10:31 am

When the ink was dry on his extension in Dec 2018 his $3.6M in compensation was 11th in among the 14 B10 coaches. He's ahead of Maryland-Locksley, Rutgers-Ash and Indiana-Allen

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I've heard that maybe he'll slot in the middle around OSU-Day $4.5 and Iowa-Ferentz $4.8.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Nov 05 10:37 am

Which is where he should be. Extend the length of the contract, pay the assistants and worry again in 2 years.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Tue Nov 05 10:38 am

Once it’s inked it will be most telling to see what his buyout is. That’s all part of the negotiation.