College football 2019

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

College football 2019

Post by gopher6 » Thu Apr 25 7:14 am

B$N sucks

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: College football 2019

Post by Handyman » Thu Apr 25 9:38 am

Bertogliat wrote:So under your system we could just have a rich alum pay players on rival teams and report them?
Well if the player accepts the money then yes. But I would like to think that in a perfect world (which is where that rule would take place) the school who had the rich alum would be punished equally.

The alternative is to just allow players to take money from non-affiliated people which is way worse. You cant ignore what happened. If the players took the money they are no longer deemed amateurs.

I am very draconian on the idea of money and players.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 25 11:14 am

Handyman wrote:
Thu Apr 25 9:38 am
Bertogliat wrote:So under your system we could just have a rich alum pay players on rival teams and report them?
Well if the player accepts the money then yes. But I would like to think that in a perfect world (which is where that rule would take place) the school who had the rich alum would be punished equally.

The alternative is to just allow players to take money from non-affiliated people which is way worse. You cant ignore what happened. If the players took the money they are no longer deemed amateurs.

I am very draconian on the idea of money and players.
It's a tough one. Is it fair to punish a school who plays games with a player that accepted money, if that school had no knowledge of the payment? What is a school supposed to do? Pray all of the players are 100% honest and compliant? That's not possible. We've had players lose scholarships over MUCH less.

Unless they start throwing the book at the people paying the players, and I mean serious prison time, and significant punishments (option of large $$ or jail?) for the players, I don't see a way to stop it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Apr 25 1:25 pm

Well the payers arent really committing a crime are they? I mean what is stopping me from giving money to a random student on campus?

The only way to stop this entirely is take harsh action on the schools so they police themselves. That wont happen though so this is all and exercise in futility.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 25 3:01 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Apr 25 1:25 pm
Well the payers arent really committing a crime are they? I mean what is stopping me from giving money to a random student on campus?

The only way to stop this entirely is take harsh action on the schools so they police themselves. That wont happen though so this is all and exercise in futility.
It's a good question as to whether or not the student athletes are committing a crime by taking money. They are amateur athletes and therefore cannot get paid to remain eligible. I have no idea what documents they sign to retain/declare eligibility.

Whereas I was not an amateur athlete in college. I was free to take money from any person or team without financially affecting my university.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Thu Apr 25 3:38 pm

"Well the payers arent really committing a crime are they? I mean what is stopping me from giving money to a random student on campus?"

Nobody is handing money to random students so I'm not sure what your point is.

ElectricGopher
Rookie

Post by ElectricGopher » Thu Apr 25 3:45 pm

Whereas I was not an amateur athlete in college. I was free to take money from any person or team without financially affecting my university.

Well, as long as you report the gift money when completing your Fafsa I would think you're okay. But if you didn't, you would be committing some type of fraud wouldn't you be?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 25 3:53 pm

For those on finianci aid, sure.

ElectricGopher
Rookie

Post by ElectricGopher » Thu Apr 25 4:02 pm

Honest question - because I don't know - is an athletic or academic scholarship a form of financial aid that would require reporting receipt of gift money as you described from an unrelated party?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Apr 25 9:10 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Thu Apr 25 3:38 pm
"Well the payers arent really committing a crime are they? I mean what is stopping me from giving money to a random student on campus?"

Then you might want to actually read what I posted and what it was in response to because it tells you what my point is.

Bertogliat talked about prison time for the people paying the players...as far as I know that isnt an actual crime. You can gift a private citizen money out of the blue if you want to. 3M could give a an engineer money before they work there if they wanted to. There is nothing inherently illegal about it. The violation would be an NCAA one not a criminal one. (leaving out the Financial Aid argument because that is another argument altogether) That is the point I was trying to make.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu Apr 25 10:28 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Apr 25 9:10 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Thu Apr 25 3:38 pm

Then you might want to actually read what I posted and what it was in response to because it tells you what my point is.

Bertogliat talked about prison time for the people paying the players...as far as I know that isnt an actual crime. You can gift a private citizen money out of the blue if you want to. 3M could give a an engineer money before they work there if they wanted to. There is nothing inherently illegal about it. The violation would be an NCAA one not a criminal one. (leaving out the Financial Aid argument because that is another argument altogether) That is the point I was trying to make.
I'll get technical here, but in a scratch the surface way...

Even if it is a gift, if the amount gifted exceeds the annual exclusion (currently $15,000), a gift tax return needs to be filed by the person making the gift. Not doing so is technically a violation of the internal revenue code, and if you specifically fail to do so with a fraudulent intent, it can be criminal.

That being said, because the unified credit is currently approximately $11.5M for an individual, for most people failing to file a gift tax return is a shrug of the shoulders type of situation with the IRS (especially because they are way understaffed).

But for those boosters who would otherwise be in a position to pay the estate tax, YES, it could rise to the level of criminal.

The bigger issue there is if it is a scheme to avoid detection, which is essentially fraud. Not necessarily tax fraud, but what we would call "garden variety fraud". You know it when you see it fraud. Depending on the proximity of the booster to the school, it could rise to this level, and if there are multiple individuals or boosters involved, there could be a conspiracy. To my knowledge it's never hit racketeering territory, but I suppose if it were particularly egregious UNLV or SMU style, it could be. But that is very unlikely.

As to the players, it is arguable as to whether it is a gift or not. If the reason for the gift is the promise of playing football, it can be argued that it is income earned from football, and thus reportable by the player. But the IRS has not spent its time considering that currently.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 26 10:45 am

There have to be some other laws specific to college athletes or NCAA. I know the players can't have agents. I don't think agents can pay players while in college, for future services. I don't think shoe or clothing manufacturers can pay players. It feels like it should be more than just a rule when it has such huge impacts on the schools, who may never know a player is getting paid.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 14 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri Apr 26 10:54 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 26 10:45 am
There have to be some other laws specific to college athletes or NCAA. I know the players can't have agents. I don't think agents can pay players while in college, for future services. I don't think shoe or clothing manufacturers can pay players. It feels like it should be more than just a rule when it has such huge impacts on the schools, who may never know a player is getting paid.
There are NCAA rules about amateurism that refer to agents, sponsorships, etc. But there aren't really laws prohibiting a legal adult from going on and taking on an agent or a sponsor, so if a 19-year old quit the NCAA basketball and did their own thing, that's fine-- they just can't do it in the NCAA.

The NCAA has certain statutory position in regard to antitrust; but basically, since it is a voluntary organization of both players and universities alike, courts aren't generally going to interfere unless there is some breakdown of the NCAA's reading of their own rules (due process "junk"). But the NCAA is entitled to make rules dictating their organization, provided the rules aren't discriminatory of a protected class.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Apr 26 12:11 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 26 10:45 am
The NCAA has those rules not the criminal justice system. The player wouldnt go to jail for hiring an agent they just would no longer be allowed to play.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu May 16 10:27 am

We had this in the College Football 2018 thread,

http://www.startribune.com/if-miac-drops-st-thomas-the-tommies-options-are-complicated/509992312/

I wish Rachel Blount was looking only at football for EADA expenses, because that's really what this is about. When you compare UST to DII football schools, they're right there.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Laxref » Thu May 16 2:49 pm

100 days until kickoff Vs the Jackrabbits!

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed May 22 11:01 am

St Thomas to "involuntarily" leave MIACin 2021 with announcement expected today.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Wed May 22 12:50 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed May 22 11:01 am
St Thomas to "involuntarily" leave MIACin 2021 with announcement expected today.
They can join the B10N and kick everyone’s ass

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed May 22 1:38 pm

Only ten CFB programs have won a title since current recruits were born. They make that sound interesting but the hockey count is only 11. And that's a reminder current recruits were basically in diapers or non existent for the last Gopher title.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Jul 14 9:59 pm

The Huskers won 4 games. What did I miss that they are 6-1 odds to win the National Championship?

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 15 7:09 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Jul 14 9:59 pm

The Huskers won 4 games. What did I miss that they are 6-1 odds to win the National Championship?
Delusional Huskers fans, basically. They'll be improved, I'm sure. But not 6/1 to make the CFP improved.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 15 7:13 am

gopherguy06 wrote:

They have a new coach and now every CFB predictor is expecting immediate impact. I think even most Husker fans are wondering what the hell is going on.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 15 7:18 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jul 15 7:13 am
gopherguy06 wrote:

They have a new coach and now every CFB predictor is expecting immediate impact. I think even most Husker fans are wondering what the hell is going on.
Tim Brando made a big splash when he said he thinks the Huskers will finish in the top 10 this year in an interview with Paul Finebaum. I'm guessing that's where some of this came from.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 15 9:57 am

People think Scott Frost is God because of what he did at Central Florida. Well it is a little different getting Florida players to stay close to home than it is to get them to go to Lincoln...even if he is "perhaps" going a bit Doctor Tom Osbourne on the selection process. (i.e. relaxing the standards, going after the questionable...if only Prop 41 still existed they could be a powerhouse again :lol: )

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jul 15 10:24 am

Florida is a hot bed of recruits, even with the number of schools there. It is easier to get kids to come there or stay there.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by davescharf » Mon Jul 15 10:35 am

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 15 9:57 am
People think Scott Frost is God because of what he did at Central Florida. Well it is a little different getting Florida players to stay close to home than it is to get them to go to Lincoln...even if he is "perhaps" going a bit Doctor Tom Osbourne on the selection process. (i.e. relaxing the standards, going after the questionable...if only Prop 41 still existed they could be a powerhouse again :lol: )
No - Dr Tom is god. I have a lot of delusion Husker friends but this is even going far for them. There must be people that think Taylor Martinez is the next coming of Tommie Frazier
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 15 11:05 am

Handyman wrote:
But wouldn't Frost need time to bring in recruits? Or are they saying they have players in house to be Top Ten and the former coach was THAT bad.

And they would also expect Frost to turn around everything with new systems and expect immediate impact?

This isn't college hockey where you can have a slow start. A couple of losses and your chance at Top 10 goes *poof*. And the Gophers are on the schedule.....

Tix go on sale Aug 12th!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 15 12:00 pm

Hey man I didnt say I believe it...you have to take their delusions in stride they live in Nebraska. Its like Iowa...only less! ;)

Dr. Tom is a true hero...only true character on his teams like Lawrence Phillips ;) At least Miami didnt pretend to be something they werent.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 15 12:01 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Jul 15 10:35 am
Handyman wrote:
No - Dr Tom is god. I have a lot of delusion Husker friends but this is even going far for them. There must be people that think Taylor Martinez is the next coming of Tommie Frazier
I have read some people who think Martinez is going to be good...personally I dont see it but I have been wrong plenty of times before.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times

Post by JC65 » Mon Jul 15 12:51 pm

davescharf wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I'm guessing you mean Adrian Martinez. Taylor Martinez played at Nebraska from 2010-2013 and I don't believe they're related.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by davescharf » Mon Jul 15 1:34 pm

JC65 wrote:
Mon Jul 15 12:51 pm
davescharf wrote:
Handyman wrote:
I'm guessing you mean Adrian Martinez. Taylor Martinez played at Nebraska from 2010-2013 and I don't believe they're related.
Yes sorry
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Aug 21 11:19 am

Florida vs The U on Saturday! Football is back baby.

Vikings preseason game 3 at noon then this game that night.
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Loc85
Veteran

Post by Loc85 » Thu Aug 22 12:25 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Aug 21 11:19 am
Florida vs The U on Saturday! Football is back baby.

Vikings preseason game 3 at noon then this game that night.
Inject the ADHD pace of the Hawaii vs Arizona game straight into my vein! Screw the under card matchup of MIA vs FLA.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Aug 22 12:59 pm

I like watching games with the best players.

#SEC

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Aug 22 2:48 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Aug 22 12:59 pm

#SEC
I prefer watching kids who are student athletes, versus a professional development league.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

minnhkyruls
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by minnhkyruls » Thu Aug 22 3:48 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Aug 22 2:48 pm
Bonin21 wrote:

#SEC
I prefer watching kids who are student athletes, versus a professional development league.
Here we go!! Before this gets out of hand, can we all just agree that no matter what conference the team is in, they beat the BADgers SUCK!?1??! My two favorite teams are MN and whoever is playing the BADgers SUCK!!!!

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Aug 23 12:54 am

Bonin21 wrote:

#SEC
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Aug 23 9:26 am

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Aug 26 1:53 pm

Thought this was an interesting design out of SDSU with student specific food and food truck access to stadium.

https://thedailyaztec.com/95018/news/sd ... amenities/
The stadium was designed with students’ best interests in mind. This thinking extends to amenities such as discounted concessions for students, Wicker said...“The concourse for our students will be developed for them,” Wicker said. “Our goal is they’ll be able to use their RedID, the money that’s on their Aztec dining plan, (at stadium dining areas).”
I saw another article noting most schools are having no problem selling their premium tickets, so they're trying to figure out ways to make more parts of their stadium a 'premium' experience.

AHABulldog
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AHABulldog » Mon Aug 26 2:51 pm

Starting a new tradition this year of going to 1 college football game a year with some friends. I've only been to Minnesota, Iowa State and Notre Dame before. The first few years are going to be all SEC with LSU, A&M & Ole Miss among the first few.

I'll be checking out Neyland Stadium in a few weeks when the Vols take on BYU in primetime on ESPN. Looking forward to all that comes with an SEC gameday. Going to try some sailgating (check it out) among other things. Expecting to hear Rocky Top 100+ times and expect to be fully addicted to SEC gameday atmosphere.

Also funny, the game against BYU will be the first where alcohol sales are permitted at Tennessee, which is funny because... well BYU.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Aug 27 9:51 am

AHABulldog wrote:
Mon Aug 26 2:51 pm
Starting a new tradition this year of going to 1 college football game a year with some friends. I've only been to Minnesota, Iowa State and Notre Dame before. The first few years are going to be all SEC with LSU, A&M & Ole Miss among the first few.

I'll be checking out Neyland Stadium in a few weeks when the Vols take on BYU in primetime on ESPN. Looking forward to all that comes with an SEC gameday. Going to try some sailgating (check it out) among other things. Expecting to hear Rocky Top 100+ times and expect to be fully addicted to SEC gameday atmosphere.

Also funny, the game against BYU will be the first where alcohol sales are permitted at Tennessee, which is funny because... well BYU.
If you have the choice visit LSU when ARK visits. This year it's the weekend before Thanksgiving on 11/23. Great rivalry game that I attended at both places for years.
Currently under construction.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Aug 27 10:38 am

AHABulldog wrote:

I hope the only reason you went to Iowa State to see a game was proximity and not for some love of that damn team. They have made improvements to Jack Trice but Ames is a $h!t hole of a town. The only real thing Jack Trice has going for it is it's location and amount of tailgating space outside the stadium. Matt Campbell has helped put butts in the seats but his time in Ames will be over soon enough when the right program comes calling him.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

AHABulldog
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AHABulldog » Tue Aug 27 10:59 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Aug 27 10:38 am
AHABulldog wrote:

I hope the only reason you went to Iowa State to see a game was proximity and not for some love of that damn team. They have made improvements to Jack Trice but Ames is a $h!t hole of a town. The only real thing Jack Trice has going for it is it's location and amount of tailgating space outside the stadium. Matt Campbell has helped put butts in the seats but his time in Ames will be over soon enough when the right program comes calling him.
Yes that's the reason. Went to an ISU/Texas game to visit a friend in college down there. The tailgating scene down there was pretty legit. Cedric Benson (RIP) ran all over the Cyclones that day.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Aug 27 11:04 am

AHABulldog wrote:
Tue Aug 27 10:59 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Aug 27 10:38 am
AHABulldog wrote:

Yes that's the reason. Went to an ISU/Texas game to visit a friend in college down there. The tailgating scene down there was pretty legit. Cedric Benson (RIP) ran all over the Cyclones that day.
Two of my favorites words in the English language when put together are "Cyclones lose". :D
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

Doc Holliday
Veteran

Post by Doc Holliday » Tue Aug 27 12:32 pm

I went to Knoxville for Tennessee-LSU two years ago.....honestly, I was expecting more from the experience. But, they had also just fired Butch Jones & they were kind of in turmoil, so that may have kind of taken away from the excitement level.

Slap Shot: I'm actually going down to the LSU-Arkansas game in November. Me & buddies were hoping to go to the LSU-Auburn game in late October, but things came up, so then we looked at Georgia-Florida in Jacksonville the next weekend, but wanted to kind of see campus sites rather than Jacksonville. LSU-Arkansas is the one that worked out for everyone's schedule.
"True love is hard to find. Sometimes you think you have true love and then you catch the early flight home from San Diego and a couple of nude people jump out of your bathroom blindfolded like a $%&@#% magic show ready to double team your girlfriend." -Mitch Martin

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Aug 27 1:40 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:
Tue Aug 27 12:32 pm
I went to Knoxville for Tennessee-LSU two years ago.....honestly, I was expecting more from the experience. But, they had also just fired Butch Jones & they were kind of in turmoil, so that may have kind of taken away from the excitement level.

Slap Shot: I'm actually going down to the LSU-Arkansas game in November. Me & buddies were hoping to go to the LSU-Auburn game in late October, but things came up, so then we looked at Georgia-Florida in Jacksonville the next weekend, but wanted to kind of see campus sites rather than Jacksonville. LSU-Arkansas is the one that worked out for everyone's schedule.
That's awesome. Death Valley is a great place to see a game and ARK is one of their better rivals. Hopefully the game is competitive.

My mom's parents retired to Fayetteville in the late 60's, and my dad's sister's husband was from Monroe, LA. They moved to Baton Rouge after they were married. We would alternate trips to either every Thanksgiving for years and I became a secondary fan of both programs by proxy which of course is odd to anyone from either side given the hatred.

When the annual boot game was moved to the Friday after Thanksgiving (1992) we would be sure to go to the state that hosted and attend the game. Although the games in ARK were held at their Little Rock campus so we had a bit of a drive those years.
Currently under construction.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 31 2:15 pm

Maryland 79 Howard 0
Illinois up 42-3 on Akron

Ole Miss loses to Memphis too

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 31 5:58 pm

Tennessee loses to Georgia State 🤣
They were 27pt favorites.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by JWG » Sat Aug 31 6:47 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Aug 31 2:15 pm
Maryland 79 Howard 0
Illinois up 42-3 on Akron

Ole Miss loses to Memphis too
Glad to see the Gophers take heat for their schedule. Howard and Akron seem like stiff high end scheduling.

Of the lower tier B1G teams, I think our schedule is tough.
JWG
[This space for rent]

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Sep 03 10:02 am

Iowa ended up looking like the Iowa team I love to hate. First snap....have to blow a time out because Nate Stanley is a blockhead. While Stanley's numbers for the day look good he still is the blockhead all us Iowa fans love to hate. Iowa's O-line is real good even though it took a hit by losing LT Alaric Jackson for "several weeks". Iowa's defense is soft and streaky. AJ Espenesa completely disappeared for the entire game. If you read stories about the game you will see notes of double and triple teams....those didn't happen too often. AJ was a non-factor the entire game. Amani Jones and Chauncey Ghoulston from the other DE spot were bigger factors. Our linebackers are hideous. If you can get Iowa into their new look 4-2-5 you can pick them apart through the air. Right now as much as I don't want the fate of this team to lie on Stanley's shoulders, I think the success of Iowa will go as Stanley goes. I'm holding my breathe until after the Rutgers game this weekend to see how I feel about the game at Jack Trice on the 14th. The outcome of that game will seal the fate of this Iowa team for the year.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Tue Sep 03 6:42 pm

Went to the NDSU game at Target Field Saturday with my Bison grad daughter. The field barely fit between the 1st base dugout and left field fence and a lot of the time they were playing on the infield dirt.
Overall it was actually a lot of fun and the area bars looked to be doing a land office business.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Sep 07 12:56 pm

I would laugh at what Maryland is doing to Syracuse, but it’s similar to what they did to the Gophers last year.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Sep 07 2:21 pm

Michigan going into OT against Army.
JWG
[This space for rent]

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Sep 07 2:26 pm

21-14 Army in OT, Michigan’s possession.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Sep 07 2:39 pm

Michigan survives.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Sep 07 2:55 pm

24-21 MI. Army turns the ball over on 3 and 11. Bad wins are still wins as we said last week.
JWG
[This space for rent]

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sat Sep 07 2:57 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat Sep 07 12:56 pm
I would laugh at what Maryland is doing to Syracuse, but it’s similar to what they did to the Gophers last year.
I’m not laughing. We play Maryland again and Syracuse isn’t a terrible team.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 07 2:58 pm

Two SICK matchups today
Clemson A&M (Go A&M)
LSU Texas (Go LSU)

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 07 2:59 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Good win for Maryland

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 3:14 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Sep 07 2:59 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Good win for Maryland
They are putting up serious points

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 3:58 pm

Nebraska looks good today

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Sep 07 4:55 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07 3:58 pm
Almost like some experts know what they're talking about and they'll be a solid 20-30 team?

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 5:06 pm

#25 seems about right

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 5:17 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Ummmmm, not so fast my friend....

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 5:20 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07 5:17 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
Nope, they're good again...what a sequence!

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 5:27 pm

What a game between colo-neb

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat Sep 07 6:26 pm

Buffs win!

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 6:53 pm

What a 2nd half

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Sep 07 7:56 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Sep 07 4:55 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
Almost like some experts know what they're talking about and they'll be a solid 20-30 team?

;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Sep 07 8:08 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sat Sep 07 5:17 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
That's why this...

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Maize » Sat Sep 07 10:44 pm

Gameday is going to Ames next weekend, leaving just 10 P5 programs that have never hosted the show.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Sep 07 10:46 pm

Tennessee has hosted Georgia State and BYU this season.
They're 0-2.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Sun Sep 08 1:15 am

WI hasn’t allowed a point yet. Scary even if not big competition.
110-0 so far.
JWG
[This space for rent]

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Sun Sep 08 8:19 am

JWG wrote:
Sun Sep 08 1:15 am
WI hasn’t allowed a point yet. Scary even if not big competition.
110-0 so far.
Saturday the 28th, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Wisconsin for whatever reason struggles against Northwestern, and I am thinking the cats get the upset in Madison.

You may think, but what about Michigan the week before? Itll be a slugfest and Sconnie pulls the win off.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Sep 09 6:36 am

Maize wrote:
Sat Sep 07 10:44 pm
Gameday is going to Ames next weekend, leaving just 10 P5 programs that have never hosted the show.
Someone should apologize to the Gameday crew now for how horrible of a town Ames really is. :mrgreen: