Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:31 pm

I love Carr's refusal to rest but good god can we get him a break? Poor kid might pass out on the court he is so exhausted.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 122 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 02 8:33 pm

They worked really hard to take a point away from us there
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:34 pm

I couldnt tell based on the BTN replays so I hope they saw something we didnt. It did give Carr a nice rest though ;)

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:34 pm

Purdue throws it to no one and the Gophs have a chance to tie it up again :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:35 pm

Oturu with the hoop and the Haarms ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 291 times

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 02 8:36 pm

Nothing like a big momentum changing shot being reviewed for 2 minutes and changed the call
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 02 8:36 pm

Junior high slow dance....that’s great
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:37 pm

Oturu misses the FT and Purdue hits a 3. Gophs miss a 3 and now the foul-a-thon begins.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:37 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 02 8:36 pm
Junior high slow dance....that’s great
I did laugh at that one :lol:

Seriously Haarms gets away with murder and whines like he coaches Iowa :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jan 02 8:40 pm

It’s amazing how white this crowd is

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:40 pm

And that will be the game. Good effort but the lack of a backup point guard to spell Carr turned him into a liability out there the last 3 minutes of regulation and all of the OTs.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:41 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 02 8:40 pm
Looks like the Wisconsin football student section :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 8:45 pm

Gophs lose 83-78 in double OT. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all though the game was ours to win which sucks. (I am sure the Negative Nancies will tell us why this is the end of the world soon enough ;) )

Holy crap some dude in their band is like 60 years old!

If Oturu comes back for next year, this team is going to be a friggin force :shock:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MATT » Thu Jan 02 9:01 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Jan 02 8:41 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jan 02 8:40 pm
Looks like the Wisconsin football student section :lol:
How would you explain this?
:lol:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 02 9:10 pm

Well if I didnt know the truth I would say it is a basketball player ;)

God what a crappy photoshop job that was :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Jan 03 9:21 pm

Gopher recruit and MN talented multi sport athlete Jalen Suggs picks Gonzaga. He was a 5* and #6 in the country. Apparently we were in his final list but doesn’t ever feel like we had a shot.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jan 03 11:19 pm

Some day Gophers BB will land their Tyler Johnson. Someone that was a solid recruit that perhaps didn't project out completely to what he did at and for the U, And in the end become a star, a legend that secures his place in school history and in this town. (Settle down Handy I am not comparing Tyler as a FB prospect to Suggs as one in basketball).

Suggs is going to be a star so this is not really a knock on his choice - but how someone locally can't see what's happening at TCF, attend a game at Williams and see how rocking that place can get, see the social media STORM and excitement surrounding the football program, know that you're set for life in this town if you play your cards right, know that the BTC is as huge of a stepping stone to the pros and gets as much TV exposure as whatever conference Gonzaga or whatever is in, and see that this program is 1, 2 players at most away from being legit, and have the balls to take that leap of faith and blow it up for themselves?

Honestly at this point I don't think it's the school, the arena nor it's location anymore that's keeping us from landing guys like this.
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Jan 04 1:17 am

Gonzaga makes the Tournament every year and is a perennial Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight type of team. (if not better) I love the U but they cant compete with that.

His choice was pretty well known for a while.

And to most young players U of M basketball isnt much to sneeze at. They just arent on people's radars. Until that changes it doesnt matter about the rest. Getting TJ type players is probably their best route when it comes to local players right now. Talented but raw who will bust their butt to improve themselves. Guys like Suggs are just not going to choose the U over a team that will be a legit contender from Day 1 when they walk on campus. The Gophs just arent that squad.

With all of that said though, I stand by my statement that if Oturu stays then next year could be the basketball teams version of the 2019 football season. If I am right on that then you change the perception of the school going forward.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 387 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jan 04 1:54 am

How did WI get there? They had no basketball footprint before they started their climb so I see no reason why it couldn't have been done already at Minnesota.

Where I will slightly disagree with you is I don't care how good Gonzaga has been. It's a lame and unimpressive argument to me to argue Gonzaga is the better choice because they more often make the tournament as of 2020. The Gophers made the tournament last year, and next year they would make it if Suggs came in - with or without Oturu. Also while Gonzage makes the tournament every year how many of their games during the season are watched across the country vs. Big Ten games? Do they do a better job of putting players into the pros that top level Big Ten teams? Are their NCAA games any more watched and highly attended by scouts than games involving Big Ten teams?

So while I understand the allure, the arguments and excuses are lazy and give Pitino way too much of a free pass.
Currently under construction.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Jan 04 2:36 am

They didnt get there by getting 5 stars. They got there on the backs of a Final Four run under Dick Bennett in the 90s and then building a system that works. Notice, they arent exactly bringing int he 5 star guys now. They get good/great players, have a strong system and that breeds consistency. Not exactly rocket science. We could easily build that...but that has zero to do with Suggs. We need that season though...we need to give the recruits something to point to other than just hope and the "stay home and be a legend" like arguments.

You are completely ignoring the truth about Suggs/Gonzaga to try and prove your narrative. It isnt about "making the tournament" it is about going deep into the tournament. Plenty of teams make it...Gonzaga right now makes deep runs. They have made 5 straight Sweet Sixteens, 3 of those years they made the Elite 8 and made the Title game as well. That is why Suggs would go there over coming here. It isnt about TV exposure because every team is on TV now. It is about the fact that he can go to Gonzaga and be in the conversation for Final Fours...that isnt even in the same universe as what the conversation would be for the Gophers right now. Sure a couple of players could theoretically change that but it is hardly guaranteed and you know it.

And again who the heck is defending Pitino? If you are going to steal Eeyore's arguments at least give him credit. (talk about lazy) As I said the last time we had this discussion (probably 5-6 pages ago now) this is not some defense of Pitino. It is just the facts of the situation. It isnt like Tubby didnt have the same issues with a much better pedigree. Minnesota is not an attractive program in comparison to those that play in the biggest games on the biggest stage. You only get that way by winning, and we dont do that enough. I am not sure how that is some excuse for Pitino...he is the coach that hasnt won enough. I dont make excuses for him...he is the coach, he is responsible. The only defense I have made is next year's recruiting class...but if the team underperforms and he gets fired I wont be on here shedding tears. He has had plenty of time to prove himself and it has been a mixed bag. But lets not pretend if we had fired him going into the season that any of these top end guys were coming here, they werent. Out of all of them I think only 1 showed any real interest (outside of the BS quotes they give to be polite) and everyone knew he wasnt coming. Gopher Basketball is hardly a blip on the radar and has been that way for quite some time. It is Gopher Football before PJ. Lots of hope and prayers, little on hype or any real exciting results but good enough to be almost in the conversation. (affectionately known as "The Glen Mason" ;) ) They need the signature season, and Pitino hasnt delivered that. (nor did Tubby, or Monson though at least he had an excuse) Until someone does, the Gophers will always be kind of the "good enough to make the tourny but not quite good enough to go anywhere in it unless things get fluky" type of squad which means we will be watching the top end guys go elsewhere.

Of course this whole argument also ignores the good players we get from out of state...which has always been a staple of this program in my lifetime.

Lets just agree to disagree and table this til the offseason :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Jan 04 9:31 am

I'm very okay with Suggs going elsewhere. I saw something from him in the state FB championship game against ROCORI that, frankly, disappointed me.
The ROCORI QB, in OT, threw a TD pass to the rt end zone for a potential tie. Rather than kick the conversion they went for 2, made it and game over. Suggs was the DB on both plays. That is not what bothered me, thats FB.

What did bother me was Jalen was shown on TV walking off ASAP. He was not there for the 2nd place trophy / medal award WITH HIS TEAMMATES AS A CAPTAIN.

I recognize that:
A) I'll get ripped for posting this.
B) He is 17 or 18, so things may change.
C) He has freaky athletic ability.

None the less he wanted a national spotlight on him yesterday, but abandoned his teammates when THEY had likely earned (2nd in state is a hell of an achievement) the highest TEAM award many of them will ever get.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Border Gopher
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Border Gopher » Sat Jan 04 9:32 am

Totally agree with Handy. Gonzaga is as good of a program as there is in basketball. Mark Few is highly respected. People might not think very highly of Spokane, but he will be a god on campus there.
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Jan 04 3:13 pm

Spo-Compton sucks :D

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Greyeagle
Has liked: 898 times
Been liked: 620 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jan 05 7:50 pm

Omersa is fun to watch and has the potential to be really good by his Sr. year.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jan 05 8:28 pm

Another 19 and 16 for Oturu. He's so good.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jan 05 9:55 pm

2-2 in the Big Ten. Hey, I'll take it.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 09 10:16 pm

Gophers played with Sparty for about 28 minutes today before some unfortunate events (elbow to a face of Greenlee, Oturu taking a hard fall and landing on his elbow) and Sparty pulled away.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Maize » Thu Jan 09 10:55 pm

Yeah, who knows what would have happened if they had Bryan Greenlee available.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 09 11:28 pm

I see [Insert Team He Chooses to Cheer For Today] is trolling in this thread. He is like the new Eeyore :lol:

(I am in Mexico didnt see the game)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jan 10 10:02 am

Maize wrote:
Thu Jan 09 10:55 pm
Yeah, who knows what would have happened if they had Bryan Greenlee available.
Probably nothing. But it would have at least given Kalscheur a breather. He played played 38 minutes last night. Maybe a fresher Kalscheur hits a couple more shots. 🤷‍♂️

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Fri Jan 10 10:36 am

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jan 10 10:02 am

Probably nothing. But it would have at least given Kalscheur a breather. He played played 38 minutes last night. Maybe a fresher Kalscheur hits a couple more shots. 🤷‍♂️
Fair. I don't think it would have mattered. They played mostly fine, but it's going to be near impossible for someone to beat MSU at Breslin this year, and Minnesota never felt that close.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jan 12 1:22 pm

Oturu just left with an injury. He seemed to favor his left arm/side....this does not bode well for the plucky Gophers.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sun Jan 12 1:25 pm

Good news!

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Sun Jan 12 2:50 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sun Dec 22 4:33 pm
In my opinion if double double legend Jordan Murphy or coffee can't sniff the league then oturu is at least another year away
Had my opinion changed today. I was way wrong

Huge win today

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jan 12 3:06 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Sun Jan 12 2:50 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
Sun Dec 22 4:33 pm
In my opinion if double double legend Jordan Murphy or coffee can't sniff the league then oturu is at least another year away
Had my opinion changed today. I was way wrong

Huge win today
Stop defending Pitino! :lol:

All is quiet on the Team Flipper Troll front I see...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Sun Jan 12 3:24 pm

I had to leave while Oturu was still out injured. Glad he was able to come back.

I kind of figured Oturu would have a huge game, since Michigan has refused to double the post all season and has been willing to give up big numbers in the post in order to shut everyone else down. Difference was that Demir had his best game of the season and Carr had his second-best game of the year after the Ohio State game. It was a coin flip coming in and it sounded like Minnesota just executed better down the stretch.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jan 12 3:31 pm

Great finish for the Gophers down the stretch. Loved seeing the team keep the lead afte Oturu went down. That had the potential to derail the game. But the Gophers were able to weather the storm and hold on. Big game.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Jan 12 3:39 pm

Oturu didn’t get a double double, but did get 30 points. I guess that’s good.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by sunbone » Sun Jan 12 4:32 pm

Went to the game today for the first time in awhile. And best seats I’ve ever had at the Barn. Was a great time. Oturu was a beast today. A little scary when he went out, that didn’t look good. Carr drives me crazy but he had some big buckets. Very big win. :good2:

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Jan 15 9:52 pm

Gophers down by 8 at one point but on a run to take the lead with 8 minutes to go

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jan 15 9:53 pm

Would be great if Gabe could hit a 3.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Jan 15 9:55 pm

Man, Carr would have been fun to see with the team last year. I still don’t get why he didn’t get a waiver.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jan 15 10:24 pm

Replay clearly shows the ball out off Willis. Refs review for 3 minutes. Still give Minnesota the ball "inconclusive" according to the referees.

Terrible.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jan 15 10:28 pm

Then Pitino goes nuts cause he calls timeout but they call a ten second violation.

Minnesota wins though :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Jan 15 10:28 pm

Gophers win#10

75-69 over PSU

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jan 15 10:29 pm

Nice W. This is a pretty solid Penn State team.

Lamar Stephens starts jawing at Oturu in the handshake line. After he hung up 25pts on them 🤣

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jan 15 10:30 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jan 15 10:29 pm

Lamar Stephens starts jawing at Oturu in the handshake line. After he hung up 25pts on them 🤣
Looked like Oturu was telling Stephens “you’re a bitch”

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jan 15 10:36 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Wed Jan 15 10:30 pm
Beauner wrote:

Oh he definitely was.🤣

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jan 15 10:36 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jan 15 10:36 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Beauner wrote:

Oh he definitely was.🤣
3 times I believe

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jan 15 10:37 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Beauner wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
Beauner wrote:

Oh he definitely was.🤣
3 times I believe
At least

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jan 15 11:02 pm

Oturu is the best player in the Big Ten...damn I wish he would come back because next year we would challenge for the Big Ten Title.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Border Gopher
Veteran

Post by Border Gopher » Thu Jan 16 10:15 am

Handyman wrote:
Wed Jan 15 11:02 pm
Oturu is the best player in the Big Ten...damn I wish he would come back because next year we would challenge for the Big Ten Title.
He has made a gigantic leap from his freshman year. NBADraft.net has him going #8 right now.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 16 10:33 am

Yeah but most of the other drafts I saw last week didnt have him in the first round. (or even close to a lottery pick) He will get passed up by like 5 Euros by the time the draft actually comes around. The NBA is weird.

Personally that is fine by me. I think the only shot he returns is if he isnt a lottery pick. (or far enough away from the second round to not worry) I dont think that is likely though. Thinking about him out there as a junior with Carr and Mashburn...oh my.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Border Gopher
Veteran

Post by Border Gopher » Thu Jan 16 11:24 am

I think the saying is, "[that guy] is picking up a lot of steam right now."

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jan 16 2:10 pm

That makes sense. I cant believe how much better he is now than last year...hell how much better he is now than the beginning of the season. His confidence level is sky high and he is a game changer inside like Lynch was. (without the rapey stuff) Plus he actually has decent touch with the ball and is doing well from the stripe. (70% for the Gophers the last decade is the stuff of legends ;) )

The team isnt great or even really good but damn if they arent fun to watch. They have the energy level of some of the Clem teams that were on the bubble but you knew were a year away from being something. Of course back then players rarely left as frosh or sophomores unlike now where the NBA prefers you do that.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Jan 16 2:30 pm

I know he won't stay, but man, it would be fun if he did. They could put together a nice squad.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 16 2:44 pm

The best argument for him potentially staying is that Carey and Wiseman are both going to he drafted high too, so maybe he decides to come back and ends up being the best big in the draft next year?

Seems unlikely though. I've seen mocks that have him going between 8-15 lately.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 252 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Jan 17 3:51 pm

Thought this was interesting in college basketball today. Gophers seem to have a hard time scheduling their non-conference games and played a bunch of neutral sites this year.

https://www.athleticdirectoru.com/artic ... buy-games/

The most common guarantee is a $90,000 guarantee. Seventy-three of the buy games examined, or roughly 12 percent, had a $90,000 check attached to them.

The single-biggest guarantee we found in nearly 600 buy games was Kentucky’s $150,000 payment to Georgia Tech this season. Although, that arrangement was a bit unique in several senses: it was between two power conference teams and it was a two-game series but not a true home-and-home.

Interesting look at payments handed out to other schools for scheduling non-conference games.

School Buy Game Host Buy Game Recipient Non-Con Games Money Paid in Losses Money Earned in Wins Total Money Paid
Minnesota 4 0 10 $0.00 $0.00 $415,000.00

Minnesota Cleveland State 11/5/2019 $100,000.00
Minnesota Central Michigan 11/21/2019 $125,000.00
Minnesota agreed to pay Basketball Promotions & Events LLC and The Gazelle Group Inc. $500,000 for hosting four games as part of an MTE.
Minnesota North Dakota 11/24/2019 $90,000.00
Minnesota FIU 12/28/2019 $100,000.00

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jan 17 4:24 pm

Neutral site isnt a bad thing in the current climate...I believe a Neutral Site win is worth more in the NET rankings than a home win. (though I stopped pretending to understand that crap system a while ago)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jan 17 8:43 pm

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 116 times

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Jan 17 9:06 pm

Full disclosure on the LW / DP feud from a fishing message board where KFAN was cited as the source.
DP flipped LW the bird when she was being taken out.
In-Depth Outdoors is where I read it, FWIW.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Thu Jan 23 9:04 am

:dup:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 23 7:39 pm

Gophers go in to Ohio State and win by 3!! Huge game for Minnesota. One of like 8 wins for road teams in the conference this season. Great finish by Marcus Carr including the GW 3!
Last edited by Beauner on Fri Jan 24 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Thu Jan 23 7:40 pm

Carr with a HUGE 3 with 3 secs left to beat Oh St on the road...impressive

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Jan 23 7:40 pm

Gophers come back to win on the road and sweep OSU on the season. Win 62-59 and face #11 at home this weekend.

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MATT » Thu Jan 23 7:43 pm

Pretty crazy that OSU was top 6 all of December and #3 when we beat them a month ago, to unranked now!

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by JWG » Thu Jan 23 8:45 pm

Good road win in a conference they’re hard to come by.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 23 11:01 pm

MATT wrote:
Thu Jan 23 7:43 pm
Pretty crazy that OSU was top 6 all of December and #3 when we beat them a month ago, to unranked now!
They've hit a bit of a skid. At one point they were ranked #11 in the nation but were 12th in Big Ten standings.

With the Gophers win tonight they have guaranteed the tie breakers with OSU and Michigan when it comes to Big Ten tourney seeding (if it comes to that). That's a pretty nice feather in the cap.

Gonna be a big test this weekend against Sparty. Hopefully the Barn is rocking!!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jan 23 11:06 pm

Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Jan 23 7:40 pm
Love the decision by Pitino to let them play in the game rather than burn their final timeout to try to run a set play. Too many coaches over-coach in that scenario. Tie game with under 10 seconds left, let your guys go play and trust that they can beat the other team.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Jan 23 11:22 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Jan 23 11:06 pm
Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Jan 23 7:40 pm
Love the decision by Pitino to let them play in the game rather than burn their final timeout to try to run a set play. Too many coaches over-coach in that scenario. Tie game with under 10 seconds left, let your guys go play and trust that they can beat the other team.
I also like it because the other team is expecting a timeout. There has to be a split second where they let their guard down on defense thinking they will get a timeout. When they realize they have to defend, you already have the advantage.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jan 24 8:49 am

That's a BIG win. Nice to see.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jan 24 12:05 pm

You guys are defending Pitino too much :lol: ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jan 24 12:52 pm

Btw right now the NCAA number is six more wins before the BTT. They do that they should be safe. (according to SelectionSunday on Ghole who is usually right on the money). Anything less than that will require wins in the tournament.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jan 24 3:19 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jan 24 12:52 pm
Btw right now the NCAA number is six more wins before the BTT. They do that they should be safe. (according to SelectionSunday on Ghole who is usually right on the money). Anything less than that will require wins in the tournament.
17-13 will get in?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jan 24 3:51 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jan 24 3:19 pm
Handyman wrote:
Fri Jan 24 12:52 pm
17-13 will get in?
Quite easily from the sounds of it. Strength of the Big Ten is raising all boats.

-Scooby 2/7/2017