Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 230 times

Re: Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 05 10:15 pm

Beauner wrote:
Tue Nov 05 7:02 pm
Season starts tonight! Too bad i don't have BTN+ to watch. Saw they are 20.5pt favorites tonight. That seems a bit high.
Or a bit low. :mrgreen:
Currently under construction.

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Wed Nov 06 5:47 am

Jesus, Nebraska cant even beat some school that lives in a van down by the river. Send these bums back to the Big12
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by JWG » Wed Nov 06 7:51 am

WI lost, that's too bad.
JWG
[This space for rent]

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Nov 20 4:08 pm

5 star recruit Dawson Garcia picks Marquette over finalists IU and Minnesota. I was still holding out hope for him after we got the other two guys

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 265 times
Been liked: 326 times

Post by Handyman » Wed Nov 20 4:38 pm

Yuck.

I honestly haven't paid attention the to the team because football is too much fun.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Nov 20 6:24 pm

You haven't missed much so far this season.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Nov 20 7:30 pm

You can't miss on 6 out of 6 top recruits in state (and 3 more last year) and expect people to have your back if you don't do something special, which you haven't in 6+ seasons.

This should be his last season.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Nov 20 8:36 pm

Why does it matter where the recruits come from? Why are people in this town so hung up on that? Better yet why is it expected local guys would stay? It is so ludicrous...should we not take Mashburn because he isn't "one of us"?

Pitino, barring a massive collapse, will most likely get this year and next year and he probably should. We can't just keep firing coaches who make the tournament otherwise no one will come here to coach. We don't have the history to be that arrogant. Plus we will lose Mashburn for sure if he is fired so next years class could be really painful.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Nov 20 10:12 pm

Ha the same thing was said for hockey recruits. They could be all from out of state, who cares if they win. Sure it would be nice to keep some of them but the team hasn’t done anything in over 20 years and even then, it didn’t happen. If you are a top player and a 5 star, why not go somewhere else?

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Nov 20 10:52 pm

Did anyone expect this team to come out of the gates and win its first 5-6 games? Given who we played and what we lost? I sure as hell didn't.
They lost their two best players who happened to be two of the best 10-15 players in the conference last year. They're basically starting over with a ton of young guys.

They've got two guys above their sophomore year who will play meaningful minutes. Both are transfers.
Two of their five starters played 0 games last year. It's going to take them a few games to get up to speed.

Oturu looks like an absolute stud. Kalscheur is improved. They've got some decent pieces. Carr looks like a legit point guard. He just needs to figure out how to make free throws cuz he is 14/30 at the line and if he's gonna get to the line 8 times a game he HAS to make them.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 21 1:39 am

They don't need to remotely "All Minnesotan" but they should be able to get a few more local guys than they do.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 21 10:02 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 21 1:39 am
They don't need to remotely "All Minnesotan" but they should be able to get a few more local guys than they do.
Why? Just because the guys are local doesnt mean they have any affection for the U. For most of these kids lives the U has been a joke thanks to the Academic Scandal fallout. And the top end guys arent staying home instead of going to a Blue Blood.

I wish we would get more of them, but if a better school offers a scholarship what would be their reasoning for coming here if they arent fans of the Gophers? And dont give me the "be a legend for your home town school crap" because it doesnt play. Every fan in every town says that and surprisingly the players still leave if they get the offer they want.

The only player that I think made a weird choice was Rashad Vaughn who went to UNLV. But he also went to Findlay Prep in Vegas his senior year so the whole thing is...well...shady to say the least. Everyone else went to schools that are in much better positions than the Gophers are including Garcia. The problem I have with Garcia going to Marquette is that he seemed to be a Gopher fan. I cant imagine what Marquette offered that we didnt.

Beauner,

I actually did expect them to be a bit better than they are...but I also expect it is going to take half a season before they are consistent. By then it might be too late.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Nov 21 10:17 am

You have to hope this year's team is a NIT team that can make a little noise in that tournament by getting better as they go. I don't see this season's team as a NCAA tournament team, the path to 20+ wins just seems too hard. Maybe the'll pull a surprise and make a strong run in conference to offset some tough non-conference losses, but not sure I see that.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 21 10:59 am

I'm not talking about a kid going to Duke, but Marquette, Texas, Colorado, Colorado State, Missouri, Wisconsin...?

We can agree to disagree if you think that's not a knock on Pitino.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 21 12:29 pm

Marquette has been lightyears better than us. They made the Sweet Sixteen 3 years in a row earlier this decade. The Gophers havent made the Sweet Sixteen since 1997 unofficially and 1990 officially. Marquette has made the Tournament 12 times since 2002 while the Gophers have made it 14 times EVER. (4 of which are vacated) It isnt even close...

Wisconsin...duh. They own us in every way when it comes to basketball. 19 NCAA tourny appearances since 2000. 10 Sweet Sixteens. 4 Elite Eights. 3 Final Fours and a Title Game appearance.

Texas has made the NCAA Tourney 17 years since 2000. 5 Sweet Sixteens. 3 Elite Eights. Totally destroy us.

Colorado's NCAA recent history is equal to ours as is Missouri.

I am not the biggest Pitino backer ever...but Minnesota in basketball is kind of a joke. Even at our best we are up and down when it comes to the postseason and no recruit has grown up in a time where Minnesota Gopher Basketball really mattered. It isnt like other students dont go to school out of state all of the time why should basketball players be different? The Gophers have a long way to go to be relevant in the eyes of local players.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 21 12:46 pm

Which program has done a better job recruiting locally - Gophers basketball or football?

Also I don't care how many times Marquette has been to the tournament. If that is criteria for getting local kids to pick Minnesota over a school in Wisconsin then change the freaking perception by winning more games and making the tournament yourself.

Minnesota is on TV enough and plays enough games against big time opponents is Marquette really that much more alluring? Really? I call b.s.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 21 6:17 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 21 12:46 pm
Which program has done a better job recruiting locally - Gophers basketball or football?

Also I don't care how many times Marquette has been to the tournament. If that is criteria for getting local kids to pick Minnesota over a school in Wisconsin then change the freaking perception by winning more games and making the tournament yourself.

Minnesota is on TV enough and plays enough games against big time opponents is Marquette really that much more alluring? Really? I call b.s.
It isnt about TV, it is about wanting to be part of a program that wins. If you have no tie to any one school wouldnt you want to play for a school that plays in the games that matter the most? Top end players tend to. This isnt rocket science. Teams that win are more alluring, and yes that includes Marquette. You can call BS all you want to but it changes nothing.

None of this is a defense of Pitino, but it also predates him by quite a ways. Just like Tubby, if he wants these players to come here he needs to elevate the level of the team. U of M basketball has no real history to speak of. (that anyone but die hards would understand) The only defense I have of Pitino is if we lose our two recruits for next year cause a new coach would have no time to replace them which would be a disaster. To be fair though Pitino also has the highest finish in conference in the last 20 years at 4th. (Monson finished 5th twice)

I love Gopher Basketball almost as much as I do Football...I used to live and die by the team. The last 20 years they might as well not exist though to a large portion of this state. Gopher Basketball barely registers. Whoever the coach is will need to have multiple winning seasons (with good Big Ten finishes) in a row for that to change, and they will need to do it without any scandals or hiccups. Put it this way, Pitino has made the Tourny 2 of the last 3 years (the middle year they should have but injuries and a scumbag rapist killed that) and no one cares.(and the sad thing is that still is pretty good for the U who has never made the Tourny 3 years in a row and only made it back to back years 3 times) For a 16-17 year old recruit, a third of their life the Gophers didnt make a post season tourny AT ALL. You know how bad you have to be for that to be the truth? They have had 2 winning seasons in conference (115-183 in conference overall) in the average recruits lifetime. 8 times they finished 9th or below in the conference. Why would you want to play for a program like that if you have choices?

Probably best to agree to disagree.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 21 6:30 pm

Minnesota wouldn't be the first program that had to rise from the doldrums. Wisconsin used to suck at basketball. Indiana used to be automatic and now are good but average. Look what Fleck has already done and it wasn't because Kill made them local darlings. I'm sick of excuses and I've been a fan of the program since Dutcher's first years.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 21 10:36 pm

I didnt say they would be. I said I understand why talented players would choose to go elsewhere especially winning programs.

The nice thing about basketball is it only takes 1-2 players to make a team really good.

I dont know if Pitino is the guy...I hope he is because I really dont want to fire another coach and go looking.

BTW Gophs won tonight :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Thu Nov 21 10:44 pm

Saying it only takes one or two guys is a recipe for accepting mediocrity. Based on the results, the guy has been mediocre to the max.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 22 9:00 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Nov 21 10:44 pm
Saying it only takes one or two guys is a recipe for accepting mediocrity. Based on the results, the guy has been mediocre to the max.
Saying it only takes 1 or 2 guys in basketball is true.
Get one superstar and your team is drastically improved. It's not even arguable.

The Gophers lost two college superstars after last season. They're trying to replace them with two very promising young guys - Oturu already has some superstar to his game and Kalscheur has some moments of brilliance too.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Nov 22 11:32 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Nov 21 10:44 pm
You literally know nothing about basketball if you think that. That is a quote national pundits use to describe college basketball that isnt something we just say around here. It has nothing to do with "accepting mediocrity" and it isnt a defense of Pitino. It is why college basketball is what it is. You dont need a class full of top end players to make a run if you have 1-2 guys that can play at a high level your squad has a shot. It is literally proven every season.

1-2 great players can take a team full of 3* guys to the Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight. Unless you are the Dukes, Kentuckys or UNCs of the world you tend to find it hard to have more than a couple elite players anyways. Do yourself a favor, check out the recruiting rankings of your Beloved BADgers. Most of the time they arent exactly lighting the world on fire. (every few years they have a Top 5 Big Ten class but usually double digits) Are they "accepting mediocrity" too?

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 22 11:36 am

Look at the BADgers recruiting rankings? They finish above the Gophers every year. That means that if their recruiting isn't great they have way better coaching. How many years are you gonna give this guy before you say welp looks like he isn't able to get those two or three guys we need, or coach up the ones that aren't as highly regarded.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 22 1:19 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Nov 22 11:36 am
Look at the BADgers SUCK recruiting rankings? They finish above the Gophers every year. That means that if their recruiting isn't great they have way better coaching. How many years are you gonna give this guy before you say welp looks like he isn't able to get those two or three guys we need, or coach up the ones that aren't as highly regarded.
Their recruiting isn't that great. They aren't hauling in 3 or 4 blue chippers every year. They usually get 1 or 2 4-star or "high 3 star" types and some good supporting players. Then they build around them and keep them for 4 years. That's why their best teams always seem to be orchestrated by guys who have been there since the Reagan administration.

Pitino brought in a good class in 2015 with Dorsey, Murphy, Jarvis Johnson, Dupree, and Ahmad Gilbert.
Dorsey transferred out after the sex tape thing (and then found himself in a bunch of trouble again and again, IIRC). Gilbert never panned out and transferred after failing to earn playing time. We all know the unfortunate story of Johnson. Murphy and Dupree turned into very good (or great, in Murphy's case).

In 2016 Pitino brought in the 30th ranked class (Coffey and Curry). Coffey was obviously very good here. Curry looked promising until injuries wrecked his career.

Both commits from 2017 transferred (Harris and Washington).

2018 class looks very strong so far with Gabe and Oturu. Omersa is still a work in progress.
They had the 37th ranked class in 2019 and with Mitchell and Mashburn are top 50 already.

He's bringing the talent in to compete. I have a hard time saying that he should be fired cuz guys can't keep it in their pants or can't get rid of the injury bug.
YMMV

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Nov 22 2:11 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Look at the BADgers SUCK recruiting rankings? They finish above the Gophers every year. That means that if their recruiting isn't great they have way better coaching. How many years are you gonna give this guy before you say welp looks like he isn't able to get those two or three guys we need, or coach up the ones that aren't as highly regarded.
Good God you don't even read the words people post do you? It isn't about where they finish compared to us the point is they don't get top end recruiting classes and do very very well. They take recruiting classes ranked 10th or below and do great things. Ya know why...they have great coaches and usually 1-2 very good players.

Literally no one is defending Pitino or are saying the Gophs are doing enough. (Beauner is now but my post had nothing to do with defending anyone)

Just stop. Your ignorance is showing. Your straw mans are a joke.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 22 2:45 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Nov 22 2:11 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Look at the BADgers SUCK SUCK recruiting rankings? They finish above the Gophers every year. That means that if their recruiting isn't great they have way better coaching. How many years are you gonna give this guy before you say welp looks like he isn't able to get those two or three guys we need, or coach up the ones that aren't as highly regarded.
Good God you don't even read the words people post do you? It isn't about where they finish compared to us the point is they don't get top end recruiting classes and do very very well. They take recruiting classes ranked 10th or below and do great things. Ya know why...they have great coaches and usually 1-2 very good players.

Literally no one is defending Pitino or are saying the Gophs are doing enough. (Beauner is now but my post had nothing to do with defending anyone)

Just stop. Your ignorance is showing. Your straw mans are a joke.
FTR, i wasn't implying "he's doing enough" but its not like he can't bring talent to the U. They've just run into some dumbasses along the way (sextape gate, Lynch and his rape) and some rather unfortunate luck (Jarvis's heart, Curry's...whole body basically).
When you're not a Duke/Kansas/Kentucky/UNC you have to get a great player and have them stick around for 3-4 years and then boost them with pieces that fit. Wisconsin had Dekker and Kaminsky and fitted Koenig, Hayes, Brust, and Jackson around them for a couple deep runs. Last couple years they had Happ with Trice and Davison (can't stand that kid).

When the Gophers had that type of pairing they ended up making the tournament 2/3 years with Murphy and Coffey with Dupree and Kalscheur and to an extent Oturu playing the supporting cast roll. Sadly the year they may have had the most overall talent (2017-2018) was ripped apart after the Coffey injury and Lynch's sexual assault charge. IIRC the team was like 14-3 when the Lynch news broke, then a game or to later Coffey went down for the year. The team lost like 14 of their last 15. They went into it with Mason, Murphy, Lynch, Coffey, Dupree, Harris, and Washington. That was probably Pitino's best overall team as far as talent goes. It was completely derailed by things out of his control.

I have the hope that this team plays its way onto the bubble this year and keeps the majority of the talent here going into next year when they lose a couple guys who are essentially wasting roster spots *cough* Hurt *cough* and bring in guys like Mashburn. Next year's team (on paper) is the type that could make a serious conference run.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Maize » Fri Nov 22 2:52 pm

As far as local kids committing to other schools, I think it only matters in the case of somebody like Garcia, where the Gophers aren't even going to be the conversation with an out-of-state kid in that range. Same with Carlson, although in that case, he's a much better fit for Wisconsin's system. Most of the others don't mean much because you should be able to find as good or better elsewhere.

The other issue when it comes to recruiting against a school like Marquette---agree or disagree, I guarantee it's used--is that they have six alums in the NBA right now. Even Colorado has four. The last guy from Minnesota(not counting Royce White, I guess) to make the NBA is better known for marrying Kim Kardashian. And it's not like Minnesota hasn't had Top-100 recruits cycle through the program since then. Some of those busts belong to Tubby, but still, there is a perception.

That said, I don't think recruiting has ever been the issue for Lil Ricky. He has probably helped Minnesota punch above their weight class in that regard. The problem is what they get out of the talent that they have. At this point, it's pretty safe to say they're always going to be a team that turns the ball over a lot and runs an offensive system that is basically "beat your guy one-on-one and pray the ref lets you shoot free throws when you crash into the help defender".

From the two games I've seen so far: Carr is an average point guard, which is a huge upgrade over last season. Oturu is an elite rebounder and rim protector, but his offensive game consists entirely of putbacks and turning the ball over. It'll be up to him if he wants to put in the work to add that and play in the NBA, or if he's satisfied with just being The Guy on a mediocre team. Kalscheur is an excellent shooter, and if Carr can get into the lane and draw help more often, he should be more effective this year. Everyone else is pretty much Just A Guy. Ihnen probably would have benefited from a redshirt, but you can see the loads of potential that got him ranked so high as a recruit.

Overall, they'll probably finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten and won't make the Tournament. But they're far from disaster territory like Northwestern and Nebraska will be this year. That, and the fact that Pitino, against seemingly long odds, actually seems like a decent human being, is enough that he should at least get another year.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Nov 23 2:21 am

The Gophers aren't alone I guess on one front but I'd still like to see them turn the corner just a bit.

https://m.startribune.com/gophers-tackl ... 565258342/
Oturu, Kalscheur and Omersa were part of Minnesota’s highly touted 2018 class, but they make only three of 22 Minnesota high school players offered by the Gophers who stayed home from the past three classes.

The Gophers aren’t alone in looking out of state recently to fill their roster. They were among seven Big Ten teams that didn’t sign an in-state prospect in the 2019 and 2020 classes, including top-tier programs Michigan State, Michigan and Maryland.

Northwestern hasn’t signed a player from Illinois in four consecutive classes. Minnesota could strike out on in-state prospects for the third time in four years.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Fri Nov 29 5:29 pm

BBall loses to DePaul today.
Women’s hockey tied.

0pher on the weekend. I’m counting on football.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Nov 29 5:34 pm

You and a whole state..
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Fri Nov 29 7:49 pm

I just can't see bouncy ball getting anywhere near .500 in the BIG...Coffey would have made a difference, but the big loss is obviously Murphy...

SkiUMah
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by SkiUMah » Sat Nov 30 1:45 pm

Big time commit

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 30 1:47 pm

Wow he looks 12 and like a photoshop lol
Sick of LOSERVILLE

SkiUMah
Veteran

Post by SkiUMah » Sat Nov 30 1:49 pm

He's a 4 star since you're always big on that from Alexandria, but transferred to La Lumiere who is a powerhouse

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 1:52 pm

Wow that was one I did not see coming...

Congrats to Pitino very good class.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

SkiUMah
Veteran

Post by SkiUMah » Sat Nov 30 1:59 pm

He is in the 2021 class, so a good start getting a Top 100 player.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 2:13 pm

Oh nevermind then I misread what class he is in...but yeah good start.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 67 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Nov 30 2:32 pm

The Granite City Classic held at a number of different venues around St Cloud between Christmas and NYE is where you can see HS teams with D-1 talent.
Both the AV Jones bros, Oturo, Omersa, MG had Brad Davison, Champ Park had a couple kids go D-1, SMB w/ Suggs and the tall kid who is a Jr and would be a legacy recruit if Pitino lands him. The organizer pulls teams with talent and many AAU coaches watching their kids also.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Dec 01 8:55 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 1:47 pm
Wow he looks 12 and like a photoshop lol
The guy is 6’10” and 185 lbs. How is that possible? Eat some calories.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 9:54 pm

Gopher hoops absolutely thrashing 5-2 Clemson in the Big Ten/ACC challenge right now. Up 22 with 4 minutes left.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 10:07 pm

Just need to keep getting used to each other until we get to Big Ten season. According to the main guru on Ghole 19 wins should be enough with the tougher schedule this year. I am not sure that will be possible but we will know more in a week when we play at Iowa.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 02 10:16 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:07 pm
Just need to keep getting used to each other until we get to Big Ten season. According to the main guru on Ghole 19 wins should be enough with the tougher schedule this year. I am not sure that will be possible but we will know more in a week when we play at Iowa.
19ish is what I had heard too. Tonight's win is a good resume boost come tourney time.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Tue Dec 03 10:37 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Dec 02 10:16 pm
19ish is what I had heard too. Tonight's win is a good resume boost come tourney time.
Beating Clemson at home isn't likely to help much. Unless they go on a tear, that's a Quadrant 3 win.

At this point, the math to get to 19 wins is almost impossible. They've only got eight games left on the schedule that they're 40% or better to win. They could always get better, but that's a pretty huge jump to win all of those, and then steal seven more. Qualifying for the NIT would be a big accomplishment at this point. Realistically, the goal should be staying above the Northwestern/Nebraska Pit of Despair, keeping everyone out of trouble, and hopefully getting better for next year when everyone comes back and they have more talent.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Laxref » Thu Dec 05 11:48 am

For someone who doesn’t follow local hoops too closely, I read today’s strib article on Minnehaha Academy, holy crap, 9 D1 kids?!? Looking at the their top 10 players list and it’s amazing the amount of basketball talent this state produces now. I feel like the gophers should be capitalizing on this a little more than they are.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Thu Dec 05 1:28 pm

Laxref wrote:
Thu Dec 05 11:48 am
Looking at the their top 10 players list and it’s amazing the amount of basketball talent this state produces now.
How many kids used to make the top 10 players list?

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Laxref » Thu Dec 05 2:26 pm

Maize wrote:
Thu Dec 05 1:28 pm
Laxref wrote:
Thu Dec 05 11:48 am
Looking at the their top 10 players list and it’s amazing the amount of basketball talent this state produces now.
How many kids used to make the top 10 players list?
Ha, I’m pretty sure it’s always been 10, what is different is seeing kids who have accepted D1 offers from power 5 schools not even make the list.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Thu Dec 05 7:52 pm

Good teams that can shut down oturu or get him in early foul trouble will eat us alive and 5 won't be able to score enough to make up for it ..I'd say 7 BIG wins in the ceiling...I like whoever said NIT was a good goal...next year should be better, that freshman class is sick

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 09 7:33 pm

Ugh watching this team play can be downright painful. Their defense is suspect and offensively they are better than they were in previous years scheme-wise but in talent not so much. Even guys like Oturu who have talent dont really have a great basketball IQ. This team has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Dec 09 8:21 pm

Kalscheur 0/9 from the field and 0/8 from 3. Not good.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Mon Dec 09 8:44 pm

Oturu is five traveling calls away from a triple-double.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Dec 10 8:22 am

This team is not good.
Seems like every year is a "yea but..." There are injuries, there are graduations, there are "issues" with a player. How many more "yea but" years/lives does Pitino have left? Next year will be year 7 and it's looking like year 6 will be another non-tournament year (I'm not even sure how the NIT comes in to play at this point). This could be anouther <5 win B1G season.

We need some conistent tournament appearance success here.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Border Gopher
Veteran
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Border Gopher » Tue Dec 10 9:22 am

JWG wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:22 am
This team is not good.
Seems like every year is a "yea but..." There are injuries, there are graduations, there are "issues" with a player. How many more "yea but" years/lives does Pitino have left? Next year will be year 7 and it's looking like year 6 will be another non-tournament year (I'm not even sure how the NIT comes in to play at this point). This could be anouther <5 win B1G season.

This is actually Pitino's 7th season.
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Dec 10 9:25 am

I was told it would be stupid to fire him
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 10 9:36 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Dec 10 9:25 am
By who? Oh wait no one. Nice try Eeyore.

Werent you going to stop posting? I guess you only do that when the teams are winning :roll:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 10 9:37 am

JWG wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:22 am
This team is not good.

There is no "yeah but" this year. This team is what it is. The second Coffey didnt return they were in trouble. This is worse than I expected though.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Dec 10 10:01 am

Handyman wrote:
Tue Dec 10 9:36 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Dec 10 9:25 am
By who? Oh wait no one. Nice try Eeyore.

Werent you going to stop posting? I guess you only do that when the teams are winning :roll:
I said I wouldn't watch regular season games for most teams and I certainly never watch Gopher basketball lol. But I would like the teams for the school I attended to be respectable so that I would want to watch some day knowing they might actually go somewhere for once at the end of the season.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 10 11:46 am

So you dont watch but we are supposed to take your opinion seriously about it? We dont take your opinion seriously about the stuff you DO watch what do you think the chances are we will care what you think about this? :shock:

Maybe the person who told you it would be stupid to fire Pitino will take you seriously though :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Dec 10 11:53 am

Sometimes you experts overthink it. Results are what matters and the guy produces basically none. If you like mediocrity that's cool though.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 10 3:11 pm

Hasn't this team been to the NCAA tournament two out of the last three years? And won a game in the tournament?

How often historically has that happened for Gopher hoops?

Richard Pitino isn't a great coach, don't get me wrong, but who are we bringing in to replace him that is in a better spot to get this team to be better than Pitino has been?
I'm hesitant to call for a guy's head who has had at least equal to any success that a basketball coach has had here (without cheating) in my lifetime. Especially when he seems to be able to steal a top 100 recruit every year or two.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Dec 10 3:22 pm

Believe in Coyle that he can find someone to take the program to another level (and maybe keep a top MN kid or two) or just accept the same old year after year.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 10 3:34 pm

Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu are both top MN kids that stayed here. Oturu and Coffey were both top 50 guys nationally.
Omersa was a top 200 prospect too. So was Kalscheur. IIRC those three were the top 3 players in MN not named Tre Jones.
He has a commit from Chet Holmgren who is currently listed.as the #4 prospect in the nation for 2021 class.
There are a couple local guys he missed out on in the 2020 class which is a bummer but it's not like he's bringing in scrubs (and two remain uncommitted). 🤷‍♂️

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Dec 10 3:48 pm

Just stop arguing with the troll....

Border Gopher
Veteran
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Border Gopher » Tue Dec 10 3:58 pm

Beauner wrote:
Tue Dec 10 3:34 pm
Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu are both top MN kids that stayed here. Oturu and Coffey were both top 50 guys nationally.
Omersa was a top 200 prospect too. So was Kalscheur. IIRC those three were the top 3 players in MN not named Tre Jones.
He has a commit from Chet Holmgren who is currently listed.as the #4 prospect in the nation for 2021 class.
There are a couple local guys he missed out on in the 2020 class which is a bummer but it's not like he's bringing in scrubs (and two remain uncommitted). 🤷‍♂️
Uhhhhh, since when has Chet Holmgren committed?
"A real man makes his own puck luck." - Billy Zane, Titanic

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by GopherPete » Tue Dec 10 4:06 pm

Assuming he mistook Holmgren for Treyton Thompson. Holmgren would b a huge get!

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Tue Dec 10 4:41 pm

Holmgren's only Crystal Ball prediction on 247 is for Minnesota, so their list kind of makes it look like he's committed.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 67 times

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Dec 10 4:50 pm

Holmgren would be a legacy recruit. IIRC. I bet he stays IF the program isn't blown up.
Hunt had Duke or KU stars in his eyes from the get go.
I don't know who you get if RP gets canned. If I gave a rip I'd give a rip.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 10 4:55 pm

Border Gopher wrote:
Tue Dec 10 3:58 pm
Beauner wrote:
Tue Dec 10 3:34 pm
Uhhhhh, since when has Chet Holmgren committed?
247 has him has 100% currently. I assumed that meant he had committed. I was at work and didn't bother to look it up to confirm.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 10 7:59 pm

No just a prediction.

As for replacing Pitino...if Coyle has a guy I can get behind it. If not then wait til you do.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 10 8:31 pm

I am a fair weather Gopher basketball fan so I didn’t know about Chet until reason this thread today. I look him up on rivals to see his long list of offers and see off all those schools, he made wasted an official visit on Rutgers. :confused2:

So...having a 7 foot center who is also one of the top recruits in the nation would be pretty awesome. Hopefully Pitino gets the commit.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 10 8:36 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Tue Dec 10 4:06 pm
I have to imagine that already having a 6’10” 185 lb center it would be odd to get another commitment from a 7’0” center, wouldn’t it?

How many centers are we going to play at a time?

These kids need to eat. 7 ft and 190 pounds?

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Iceburg » Tue Dec 10 8:46 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:36 pm
GopherPete wrote:
I have to imagine that already having a 6’10” 185 lb center it would be odd to get another commitment from a 7’0” center, wouldn’t it?

Retired Thread Police

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Dec 10 8:48 pm

Jesus...
Sick of LOSERVILLE

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Dec 10 9:03 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Dec 10 8:36 pm
GopherPete wrote:

With Oturu likely being gone it wouldn't be that crazy. Position is more fluid than it used to be as well.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Dec 10 10:50 pm

Holmgren fits more of the Unicorn role than true C too. From what I can tell he's a pretty good ball handler and can hit from the outside.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by GopherPete » Wed Dec 11 7:32 am

Last time we had two capable big men was probably RSIII and Iverson.