Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed May 29 6:46 pm

He'll make a lot of money in Europe. Might as well get a heads start on it.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by sunbone » Wed May 29 7:50 pm

Huh. I would have thought his best chance at an NBA gig would have been to come back and show improvement in some of the weaker parts of his game. Well, good luck to him.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed May 29 7:51 pm

Yeah if he goes undrafted then long road to the NBA. He could come back and be a focal point.

Losing him and Muephy hurt

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Wed May 29 11:27 pm

He isnt an NBA player...he doesnt have the game for it. He might get a cup of (no pun intended) coffee or something but he is a Euro Player like many Gophers before him. I wish him luck. He can still finish his degree and I am sure his dad will encourage him to.

Not the decision I would have made but I am not him so I wish him luck. I hope I am wrong and he does make the NBA some day but overall I just hope he has a good career no matter what he does.

On to next season!
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu May 30 8:58 am

Definitely puzzling, I heard he is close to graduating already. At least he stayed in Minnesota to play college hoops... pretty sure they don't make the tournament last year without him.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 30 8:59 am

Players should want to dominate at one level before moving up. BUT, if the environment for whatever reason does not fit their needs for whatever reason moving on is always best.

Best of luck to him.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 14 times

Post by JWG » Thu May 30 9:49 am

Sounds like there wasn't a lot of belief another year in college would elevate his game enough to matter from a draft/NBA perspective. So, rather than wait a year for not much gain, Amir decided to go now and get paid what he can get paid. Another year older to play in the G league or wherever wasn't going to help him either.
JWG
[This space for rent]

mjarz02
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mjarz02 » Thu May 30 9:51 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed May 29 6:34 pm
I don't get that decision at all.
Unless a team has said they will give him a 2-way contract for the G League if he signs with them when he doesn't get drafted, it seems like a really poor plan.

Best of luck to him in his future. Wish he would have stuck it out one more year here.
I wish he would come back but I understand why he is leaving. He can work on his game in the G-league or overseas and he will get paid for it. Why play another year in college and not get paid any money? Especially if he is close to graduating. How much more can his draft stock improve by playing another year? Sure he might improve part of his game, but he will be 23 in next years draft.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 30 10:20 am

Vegoe wrote:
Thu May 30 8:58 am
Definitely puzzling, I heard he is close to graduating already. At least he stayed in Minnesota to play college hoops... pretty sure they don't make the tournament last year without him.
Yeah he has less than a semester's worth of credits to graduate IIRC.

I mean I guess it is possible the Kings told him some good news when he worked out for them yesterday but I doubt it. Maybe he figures if he is going to be playing in Europe anyways might as well get it started now. If he is leaving to make mediocre money in the G-League then...well...yeah.

His dad is smart enough to talk to the right people I doubt anyone is fleecing them with big dreams.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Bonin21 » Thu May 30 10:21 am

One step forward and
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
103 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 30 10:27 am

JWG wrote:
Thu May 30 9:49 am
Sounds like there wasn't a lot of belief another year in college would elevate his game enough to matter from a draft/NBA perspective. So, rather than wait a year for not much gain, Amir decided to go now and get paid what he can get paid. Another year older to play in the G league or wherever wasn't going to help him either.
The G League pays nothing...he could finish his degree (not playing basketball) and get a better job out of college unless he gets an NBA call up. the G-League salary last year was 35K. (for the 5 month season) I mean sure that is nice for 5 months on average but for the year that is pretty meh. I work with people at my catering company who do more than that.

The chances he gets a nice two-way deal arent likely. If he is doing this for money he might want to retake Econ ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

mjarz02
Golden
Golden

Post by mjarz02 » Thu May 30 10:31 am

Handyman wrote:
Thu May 30 10:27 am
JWG wrote:
Thu May 30 9:49 am
The G League pays nothing...he could finish his degree (not playing basketball) and get a better job out of college unless he gets an NBA call up. the G-League salary last year was 35K. (for the 5 month season) I mean sure that is nice for 5 months on average but for the year that is pretty meh. I work with people at my catering company who do more than that.

The chances he gets a nice two-way deal arent likely. If he is doing this for money he might want to retake Econ ;)
But if he's playing well in the g league he can get signed by a team. That can't happen if he is playing in college.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 30 10:42 am

That is a big risk to take...

I am not saying dont go G-League I am just saying if he is doing it "to get paid" he got bad advice. It will be at least a year before he improves his game enough to get noticed. He has lots of deficiencies.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

mjarz02
Golden
Golden

Post by mjarz02 » Thu May 30 11:33 am

Handyman wrote:
Thu May 30 10:42 am
That is a big risk to take...

I am not saying dont go G-League I am just saying if he is doing it "to get paid" he got bad advice. It will be at least a year before he improves his game enough to get noticed. He has lots of deficiencies.
How is going back to college not a risk?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 30 12:55 pm

Moneywise? Uh because he can finish his degree and make more at a real job than he can in the G-League?

I feel like you are assuming I am saying something I am not. There is nothing wrong with going to the G League, but you dont do it to get paid because the pay is nothing. I mean it is low end AHL money. If someone advised him that way they should be sued for malpractice.

If teams are telling him he has a legit chance to catch on in the next couple years the G-League is the place to be. Otherwise not sure he would be benefiting himself long term. To me it makes more sense to leave school for long term gain not short term. Since I dont see him being an NBA player I think there are better choices.

Now all of that is contingent on him not getting drafted. If he does then the scenario changes.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu May 30 1:02 pm

He would be better off staying in college and starting his Advanced Degree. He'll need every bit of his education in a few years.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu May 30 4:23 pm

Reality is, he's going to finish his undergrad (likely) and take the risk on getting a two-way deal in an effort to play ball. He doesn't see upside in returning to college to better his position as it likely won't, so take the risk now while he's a year younger.

It's a gamble, maybe a bad one, but it's a gamble that isn't any worse than waiting a year (from a basketball perspective). He could stay and get a year or so closer to a graduate degree or go, give it a whirl, and move on to a "real" job if it doesn't work out.

I don't think it's as short sighted as some think from a pure baseketball perspective. He's chasing a dream.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu May 30 7:43 pm

It isnt short sighted, it might end up being the wrong decision but only he will know that. The only way it might be short sighted is if he is doing it for money because most likely, barring a massive knee injury, the money would be the same next year as this year. I mean before the end of the season he wasnt exactly lighting the world on fire. In crunch time he stepped up though big time. Next years team around him would be better than last years so he could have really stood out.

But other than that there is no reason to rip him for it...I wish him luck but I dont expect to hear much about him 3 years from now.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 31 10:13 am

It's possibly short-sighted from a developmental standpoint. I can't imagine whatever level he plays at next season (it won't be the NBA) is going to be more challenging and competitive than a Big Ten schedule, half of their NC games and the spotlight of the NCAA tournament - which they likely make next season if he's on the team.
Currently under construction.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jun 14 1:46 am

https://www.startribune.com/gophers-add ... 511273412/
Looking to add point guard depth for next season, the Gophers landed a commitment Thursday night from three-star 2019 Florida point guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee. Greenlee, a 6-foot senior from the Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., had one other Power Five scholarship offer from Iowa
Currently under construction.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by F Da Sue » Wed Jul 03 9:25 pm

Amir Coffey: Decision to leave Gophers early for NBA was ‘easy’.

http://www.startribune.com/amir-coffey-decision-to-leave-gophers-early-for-nba-was-easy/512193232/

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Jul 09 8:22 pm

Clippers signed Amir to a 2-way contract.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Jul 10 12:54 pm

Good for him. In 2 years when they are up against the cap he might get a shot to be a warm body cause they wont be able to afford anybody else ;)

(not a dig on him)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Tue Aug 06 1:17 pm

Gophers win 84-79 in Italy against the Stellazzurra Basketball Academy, whoever they are.
Gophers were down 40-43 at the half. I have no idea what that means and if we should feel great about a win, concerned about being down at the half...

No clue what kind of competition this is.
JWG
[This space for rent]

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GopherPete » Tue Aug 06 1:28 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue Aug 06 1:17 pm
Gophers win 84-79 in Italy against the Stellazzurra Basketball Academy, whoever they are.
Gophers were down 40-43 at the half. I have no idea what that means and if we should feel great about a win, concerned about being down at the half...

No clue what kind of competition this is.
It's the first exhibition game after not having much practice time, I wouldn't read much into it. A lot of missed 3's and FT's for the Gophs who were down almost 20 pts. early and came back for the W. Some good and bad takeaways.

JWG
Golden
Golden

Post by JWG » Thu Aug 08 2:41 pm

The international tour continues.
Gophers up on Tuscan Select 52-26 at the half.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Thu Aug 08 5:22 pm

Is there a place to watch replays of this tour?

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Wed Sep 18 1:38 pm

Two local recruits (Eastview and East Ridge) choose Bucky over goldy last two days, ouch.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Sep 18 1:51 pm

What do you expect when you finish behind them in the standings more than 20 years in a row.
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Sep 18 2:03 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Sep 18 1:51 pm
What do you expect when you finish behind them in the standings more than 20 years in a row.
Its so cute you stole this take from ghole. At least give the poster credit who posted it first. (you quoted it after all on ghole)

Carlson wasnt coming here and the other guy most people have never even heard of. Save your outrage for when Suggs and Garcia say no and then pray Mashburn says yes.

(I dont think we are getting any of them...but if we do most of the out of state guys are as good or better than the local guys who everyone pretends to know anything about)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Sep 18 2:07 pm

I'm sure that poster will be furious I didn't put him in the bibliography

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Sep 18 3:18 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Sep 18 2:07 pm
I would be furious but more because you agreed with my take :lol:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Wed Sep 18 3:27 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18 3:18 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
You’ve just become a really crabby old man the past 2,000 posts or so ;)
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Sep 18 4:51 pm

I wasn't expecting Calrson to commit here among the top players but hurts he goes to BADgers SUCK.

Suggs sounds like a heavy favorite to Gonzaga.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Sep 18 6:10 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 18 3:27 pm
Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
So in the past week or so?

(says the pot :lol: )

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Sep 18 10:08 pm

davescharf wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Dont worry...another 1000 or so and I will hit midlife crisis posts so I will use hip lingo and be all positive and stuff :lol:

You know how I know I am doing it right? The positive people think I am negative and the negative people think I am all duckies and bunnies. :dup: :biggrin2:

-Scooby 2/7/2017

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Thu Sep 19 7:22 am

Handyman wrote:
Wed Sep 18 10:08 pm
davescharf wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Dont worry...another 1000 or so and I will hit midlife crisis posts so I will use hip lingo and be all positive and stuff :lol:

You know how I know I am doing it right? The positive people think I am negative and the negative people think I am all duckies and bunnies. :dup: :biggrin2:
I wasn’t going to give away your secrets
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf