Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Greyeagle
Has liked: 457 times
Been liked: 347 times

Re: Gopher Basketball 2014-2019: The Quest for the Quint

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Apr 12 3:39 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Thu Apr 12 3:21 pm
The one thing I like about the hire that I think may be true is she has access to Reeve for advice/coaching etc. No better mentor than her IMO.
Excellent point.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 » Thu Apr 12 3:42 pm

congrats to Lindsay and good luck i think i heard one of her assistants will be jim peterson

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 355 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Apr 12 3:44 pm

sec 16 row16 seat 16 17 wrote:
Thu Apr 12 3:42 pm
congrats to Lindsay and good luck i think i heard one of her assistants will be jim peterson
More out of the box thinking. I like it.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by JWG » Thu Apr 12 4:10 pm

Good assistants, that's what will be needed.
I'm perplexed.

Is she really still planning to play for the Lynx? A WBB coach doesn't have work requirements in the summer? I didn't know it was a 10-month position.
JWG
[This space for rent]

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Apr 12 4:11 pm

JWG wrote:
Thu Apr 12 4:10 pm
Good assistants, that's what will be needed.
I'm perplexed.

Is she really still planning to play for the Lynx? A WBB coach doesn't have work requirements in the summer? I didn't know it was a 10-month position.
Yep. She will play at least this next season. That's part of the deal.
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Hammy » Thu Apr 12 4:27 pm

I'm totally psyched about this hire. As for her qualifications, the good thing is she is a smart player and a point guard... which should help her transition well.

And given all that she has accomplished as a player... I am sure she will have plenty of cred with recruits.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

SkiUMah
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by SkiUMah » Thu Apr 12 4:31 pm

Big time hire, i think recruiting will take off big time in state and nationally, how could any top in state recruit turn down Whalen

maddie
Rookie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maddie » Thu Apr 12 4:34 pm

Hammy wrote:
Thu Apr 12 4:27 pm
I'm totally psyched about this hire. As for her qualifications, the good thing is she is a smart player and a point guard... which should help her transition well.

And given all that she has accomplished as a player... I am sure she will have plenty of cred with recruits.
Completely agree. Excelled at the highest levels of the game, been around great coaches for years & still plays the game! What recruit would not want to play for her?

This is a home run.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Thu Apr 12 5:17 pm

SkiUMah wrote:
Thu Apr 12 4:31 pm
Big time hire, i think recruiting will take off big time in state and nationally, how could any top in state recruit turn down Whalen
While I love the hire, to think that every top in state recruit will automatically come to Minnesota is a dream. The top
girls in state being recruited by the top programs in the country, for example Paige Bueckers from Hopkins who is being recruited by every school in the country, including UConn, will be tough to keep home.

Just like the top boys players, like the Jones’ brothers, when a program like Duke comes calling, it’s hard to say no.

SkiUMah
Veteran

Post by SkiUMah » Thu Apr 12 5:24 pm

Chances are a lot better now with Whalen here

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Beauner » Thu Apr 12 7:43 pm

Gopher Hockey Rube wrote:
Thu Apr 12 5:17 pm
SkiUMah wrote:
Thu Apr 12 4:31 pm
While I love the hire, to think that every top in state recruit will automatically come to Minnesota is a dream. The top
girls in state being recruited by the top programs in the country, for example Paige Bueckers from Hopkins who is being recruited by every school in the country, including UConn, will be tough to keep home.

Just like the top boys players, like the Jones’ brothers, when a program like Duke comes calling, it’s hard to say no.
The Hopkins coach said today that he isn't saying Bueckers will commit to the U but basically said Whalen is much more likely to get her to the U of M than anyone else would have been.
I'm excited to see what she can do. She has learned from arguably the best coach in the women's game today for the last decade and has been a Minnesota basketball player through and through. There's not going to be a women's coach who loves the U of M more than her.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by D2D » Thu Apr 12 8:34 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Apr 12 7:43 pm
There's not going to be a women's coach who loves the U of M more than her.
And if she does have the kind of success that most people believe she will have there's not going to be a women's coach who would be as hard for other schools to pry away from the U than her.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Apr 12 8:34 pm

LW being a 1 & a very good one at that will go a long way.
If indeed JP joins her staff that gives her much staff experience as a pivot.
This state has sent much girls talent to other schools. It isn't just about landing blue chippers. Get kids that want to play hard on ball defense.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 153 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Apr 12 8:43 pm

Very psyched Lindsey Wallin was named HC. She knows the game inside & out... along with being a true leader and a U and State of MN 🏀 icon. And to quote Dexter Rutecki (from Aspen Extreme) “Relax, we’re not curing cancer here. We’re teaching people how to slide down hills with sticks on their feet.” AND. “Part of the job is fulfilling a fantasy. And you are the fantasy” .”https://goo.gl/images/gDIZXr :wink: :biggrin2:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 12 9:03 pm

I'll be the contrarian here and say it was a terrible hire. I know the stature of the programs is not apples to apples but how many said, "no way" to Potulny who actually has experience? Besides name recognition, her being one of us and some playing time what exactly makes her a legitimate big time Div I BB coach? It's a joke if you really sit back and think about it.
Currently under construction.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Apr 12 9:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 12 9:03 pm
I'll be the contrarian here and say it was a terrible hire. I know the stature of the programs is not apples to apples but how many said, "no way" to Potulny who actually has experience? Besides name recognition, her being one of us and some playing time what exactly makes her a legitimate big time Div I BB coach? It's a joke if you really sit back and think about it.
Do you just wake up in the morning... and decide to be a massive.🛠 😳😂 :biggrin2:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Apr 12 9:14 pm

I am not much of a basketball fan and not at all a women’s basketball fan, but I am a fan of Lindsey. As a sports fan, I am really interested to see how this experiment plays out. It could turn into something incredible or it could be another MN laugher. But I’ll give Coyle credit for setting ‘EM on the table with a $h!t eating grin.

Nice play Coyle!

phish
Rookie

Post by phish » Thu Apr 12 9:16 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
You raise a valid point. It’s interesting that some of the same people who were against hiring Potulny due to his lack of experience are all for this hire.

For the record I have no problem with hiring Whalen she might do great I have no idea. But interesting to read the reactions on here.

SkiUMah
Veteran

Post by SkiUMah » Thu Apr 12 10:06 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Revenue vs non revenue sport, some playing time LOL 14 years in the WNBA + National team experience.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 12 10:14 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Apr 12 9:09 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Do you just wake up in the morning... and decide to be a massive.🛠 😳😂 :biggrin2:
And follow your lead? Never!!!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 12 10:17 pm

SkiUMah wrote:
Thu Apr 12 10:06 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Revenue vs non revenue sport, some playing time LOL 14 years in the WNBA + National team experience.
What does her playing time have to do with actually coaching and recruiting? And I said not apples to apples meaning I get rev vs. non rev but that's irrelevant to me.

Look I wish nothing but the best, I somewhat get the hire and hope like heck I'm wrong, but if I'm putting money down on this being a successful hire it's because the bookie is giving me hugely favorable odds.

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by J22 » Thu Apr 12 10:23 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 12 10:14 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Apr 12 9:09 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
And follow your lead? Never!!!
It's not a decision for him

Alby22
Rookie
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Alby22 » Thu Apr 12 10:26 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Apr 12 8:43 pm
Very psyched Lindsey Wallin was named HC. She knows the game inside & out... along with being a true leader and a U and State of MN 🏀 icon. And to quote Dexter Rutecki (from Aspen Extreme) “Relax, we’re not curing cancer here. We’re teaching people how to slide down hills with sticks on their feet.” AND. “Part of the job is fulfilling a fantasy. And you are the fantasy” .”https://goo.gl/images/gDIZXr :wink: :biggrin2:
Phenomenal quote you just pulled from a non discript movie very few people have probably seen. Bravo sir. 🙇🙇🙇. #powder8

SkiUMah
Veteran

Post by SkiUMah » Thu Apr 12 10:30 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Apr 12 10:17 pm
SkiUMah wrote:
Thu Apr 12 10:06 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
What does her playing time have to do with actually coaching and recruiting? And I said not apples to apples meaning I get rev vs. non rev but that's irrelevant to me.

Look I wish nothing but the best, I somewhat get the hire and hope like heck I'm wrong, but if I'm putting money down on this being a successful hire it's because the bookie is giving me hugely favorable odds.
I think her playing experience is a big recruiting tool, sure she doesn't have the coaching experience, but it's easier to take a chance on someone in a non revenue sport compared to revenue. She also has played and learned from 2 of the most respected and successful coaches in the women's game in Auriemma and Reeve. I'm certain Coyle talked to those 2 and obviously felt comfortable with what they had to say. She is an icon of basketball in this state, and I guarantee girls are gonna want to come to the U and play for her.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri Apr 13 9:02 am

It will either be a great success or a flop.

But for everyone ripping on Slap Shot, this literally would be the equivalent of in 5 years if Motzko was done and the Gophers decided to give the job to Blake Wheeler.

She definitely has the makeup to make this work, but it will take a very carefully curated staff and a lot of hard work with a steep learning curve.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Viking » Fri Apr 13 9:09 am

I hope she does well, but the fact is that they have hired a part time coach with no experience.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by george » Fri Apr 13 9:14 am

SS has a point, but the differences in the sports are way greater than rev vs non-rev. Gopher hockey is very visible in the hockey world, Gopher womens' BBall is a non-factor nationally. The women's job is not a destination job by any stretch, unlike the hockey job. I think it's worth a stretch hire in this one case in order to gain some national buzz about the team. Lindsey has 4 WNBA rings, 2 gold medals and is an icon in Women's BB, she'll put the program in the map just by being there. It's not like it'll set the program back if she flops, there isn't that much of a downside.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Fri Apr 13 9:16 am

I think she’ll do ok, but the feeling that recruits will be lining up at the Pav just because Whalen is the coach is laughable to me. These girls are being recruited by some of the best programs and coaches in the country, and this program isn’t even in the discussion for that type of distinction. If name recognition was all that mattered to recruits, then every college would just hire all ex WNBA players instead of people who are actually great coaches and recruiters, and have proven it at the college level.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Apr 13 9:28 am

george wrote:
Fri Apr 13 9:14 am
SS has a point, but the differences in the sports are way greater than rev vs non-rev. Gopher hockey is very visible in the hockey world, Gopher womens' BBall is a non-factor nationally. The women's job is not a destination job by any stretch, unlike the hockey job. I think it's worth a stretch hire in this one case in order to gain some national buzz about the team. Lindsey has 4 WNBA rings, 2 gold medals and is an icon in Women's BB, she'll put the program in the map just by being there. It's not like it'll set the program back if she flops, there isn't that much of a downside.
Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding... BINGO George :good2:

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Apr 13 9:32 am

Fri Apr 13 9:16 am
I think she’ll do ok, but the feeling that recruits will be lining up at the Pav just because Whalen is the coach is laughable to me. These girls are being recruited by some of the best programs and coaches in the country, and this program isn’t even in the discussion for that type of distinction. If name recognition was all that mattered to recruits, then every college would just hire all ex WNBA players instead of people who are actually great coaches and recruiters, and have proven it at the college level.
Yeah color me skeptical as well, I mostly agree with Slap in that sense. It'd be fine if she was a bit green but had some coaching experience but I don't think the established great WBB teams like UConn are gonna lose recruits to her. And even if she was she still needs to be able to coach which we'll see I guess.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Apr 13 9:46 am

Coyle gathered the team for a coaching search update. Players watched a highlight video of their season. The video then flashed to highlights of Whalen’s career, followed by her playing credentials and finally her picture. Then she walked into the room.

The room erupted. Screams of jubilation could be heard down the hall. Players who idolize Lindsay Whalen couldn’t believe they were meeting their new coach.

Hopkins sophomore guard Paige Bueckers is one of the top players in the country. She is being recruited by every major program, including UConn. Bueckers has a signed Whalen jersey hanging in her room and a pair of Whalen’s game-used shoes that Whalen gave her a few years ago.

The Gophers had zero chance of signing Bueckers before Whalen’s announcement. Bueckers’ father, Bob, was asked if his daughter will look at the Gophers differently now.

“Absolutely,” he said.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Fri Apr 13 10:31 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Fri Apr 13 9:46 am
Coyle gathered the team for a coaching search update. Players watched a highlight video of their season. The video then flashed to highlights of Whalen’s career, followed by her playing credentials and finally her picture. Then she walked into the room.

The room erupted. Screams of jubilation could be heard down the hall. Players who idolize Lindsay Whalen couldn’t believe they were meeting their new coach.

Hopkins sophomore guard Paige Bueckers is one of the top players in the country. She is being recruited by every major program, including UConn. Bueckers has a signed Whalen jersey hanging in her room and a pair of Whalen’s game-used shoes that Whalen gave her a few years ago.

The Gophers had zero chance of signing Bueckers before Whalen’s announcement. Bueckers’ father, Bob, was asked if his daughter will look at the Gophers differently now.

“Absolutely,” he said.
And she still goes to UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame etc.

I’m not doubting this doesn’t help with the middle of the road recruits from Minnesota, but the high end recruits, and there’s more of them every year out of Minnesota as girls basketball in this state gets better and better, will still gravitate towards the top programs in the country, no differently than the top boys players from Minnesota.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Apr 13 10:39 am

trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Apr 13 9:32 am
Yeah color me skeptical as well, I mostly agree with Slap in that sense. It'd be fine if she was a bit green but had some coaching experience but I don't think the established great WBB teams like UConn are gonna lose recruits to her. And even if she was she still needs to be able to coach which we'll see I guess.
Also, how about hiring someone that's done with their pro career first? :conf2:

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Apr 13 10:43 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Fri Apr 13 10:39 am
trixR4kids wrote:
WNBA players have done this before. It's not a new thing.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Apr 13 10:53 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
Her playing career will be over and done with before the first practice for Gopher women's hoops.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Apr 13 10:54 am

Fri Apr 13 10:31 am
ScoobyDoo wrote:

“Absolutely,” he said.

I’m not doubting this doesn’t help with the middle of the road recruits from Minnesota, but the high end recruits, and there’s more of them every year out of Minnesota as girls basketball in this state gets better and better, will still gravitate towards the top programs in the country, no differently than the top boys players from Minnesota.
I'm not so sure about that yet. Is it still more likely she ends up at UConn etc? Probably.
But if her goal is to play in the WNBA after college she could do a lot worse than playing for one of the best to have ever done it.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Apr 13 10:57 am

Beauner wrote:
Fri Apr 13 10:53 am
Thirty-Four wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
Her playing career will be over and done with before the first practice for Gopher women's hoops.
Yeah, I saw the timeline, but I'd prefer if it wasn't starting 5 months down the line. I get that Women's CB isn't exactly big time and she will help the program, but, no experience and still playing pro the next half a year? We'll see how it all plays out. You can't argue with her standing in this community.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 13 1:33 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:

“Absolutely,” he said.

This would still be true with any other coach the U could hire. I don't see much down side here.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Fri Apr 13 1:44 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 13 1:33 pm
ScoobyDoo wrote:

“Absolutely,” he said.

This would still be true with any other coach the U could hire. I don't see much down side here.
I don’t either. I’m just saying Whalen isn’t going to come in, wave her magic wand, and top recruits will flock to the U. I like the hire, just don’t think this all of a sudden puts the U up there with the elite programs in the country as some people seem to think will happen overnight.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 13 4:57 pm

I will say on her behalf she's been very immersive during this interview with Bump.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Apr 13 5:01 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 13 4:57 pm
I will say on her behalf she's been very immersive during this interview with Bump.
Heard the same interview.

This is a great hire. Half of coaching is your contact list. Motzko said as much during his presser. Kids are going to want to come her to play for her.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 13 6:45 pm

How many coaches can dominate their players?

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by sunbone » Fri Apr 13 6:55 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 13 6:45 pm
How many coaches can dominate their players?
Ditka.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Composer » Fri Apr 13 10:14 pm

Is that Czech for 5?

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Apr 19 10:41 am

Whalen hires her first assistant, Mac head coach and former Gopher, Kelly Roysland

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Tue May 01 9:26 am

Top recruit coming in already needs surgery lol MN sports
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Tue May 01 9:36 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue May 01 9:26 am
Top recruit coming in already needs surgery lol MN sports
Usually they wait until they get on campus to get hurt, but Oturu is wasting no time in becoming a true Gopher. :anger:

http://www.startribune.com/top-u-basket ... 481350421/

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by trixR4kids » Tue May 01 9:38 am

Curry last year, now this :facepalm:
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

gopher wes
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gopher wes » Tue May 01 9:59 am

Well.....let's hope it's closer to the 4 month range so he is ready for non-conference games. It would be nice to get some game time in before jumping right into B1G play.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue May 01 10:00 am

It's 4-6 months. He'll be back for the season.

Gopher Hockey Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopher Hockey Rube » Tue May 01 10:38 am

Beauner wrote:
Tue May 01 10:00 am
It's 4-6 months. He'll be back for the season.
It’s a shoulder injury though, and anyone who has had shoulder surgery knows they can be tricky, especially for a high level athlete. Hopefully he comes back 100% by the start of the season but regardless he loses the entire summer which is a bummer.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue May 01 12:33 pm

So Minnesota.

SkiUMah
Veteran

Post by SkiUMah » Mon May 07 7:50 pm

Chance he plays this season with the NCAA looking at changing the transfer rule when a coach leaves the school

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 160 times

Post by Vegoe » Wed May 09 10:21 am

I get this is his sarcastic side coming out, but I think the essence of the question is why can't you recruit a full roster that doesn't have to be filled with transfers.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Handyman » Wed May 09 1:18 pm

Because players leave every year from pretty much every team? College Basketball these days is worse than Free Agency. Very few teams arent impacted.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed May 09 9:11 pm

Whalen signed the #64 overall ranked player in the nation today.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jun 20 11:50 am

Reid Travis graduate transfer! To Kentucky.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 20 12:21 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jun 20 11:50 am
Thanks. Any other non Gopher transfers lately?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 124 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 20 12:58 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 20 12:21 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jun 20 11:50 am
Thanks. Any other non Gopher transfers lately?
I would assume there are, with 350 non-Gopher teams for people to choose from to randomly post here... :biggrin2:
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jun 20 1:18 pm

Five star MN recruits that always get away are much fewer, though, and illustrate how far the program has to go to relevance.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Aug 13 10:26 am

Lindsay Whalen will have a press conference today to announce her retirement from the WNBA at the end of the season

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 127 times

Post by D2D » Mon Aug 13 10:39 am

gopher6 wrote:
Mon Aug 13 10:26 am
Lindsay Whalen will have a press conference today to announce her retirement from the WNBA at the end of the season
Not a surprise, in fact I thought it was a forgone conclusion that when she was named Gophers coach she would play for just this season. If there was any doubt the fact that she'll finish her career as a bench player put an end to it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Sep 10 7:16 pm

Top 95 player in the nation. 8th best commit in Gopher hoops history.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Sep 10 8:10 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Sep 10 7:16 pm

How is that determined?

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by F Da Sue » Mon Sep 10 8:26 pm

Beauner wrote:

I highly doubt he's the 8th best recruit in team history. Hell, I see 3 players on this years roster who were rated higher when they committed.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 10 10:56 pm

The rankings don't go back super far...

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Sep 10 10:56 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Sep 10 8:10 pm
Beauner wrote:

How is that determined?
I assume it's based on their national ranking at the time of commit?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Sep 10 10:57 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Mon Sep 10 8:26 pm
Beauner wrote:

I highly doubt he's the 8th best recruit in team history. Hell, I see 3 players on this years roster who were rated higher when they committed.
Recruiting rankings like this are probably only what, 20 years old? Maybe a little more?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 10 11:00 pm

Yeah that sounds about right.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Sep 11 9:55 am

For those of us who don't follow basketball closely. They had a player hurt last year before the season. I expect he's back and we should have 1-2 decent freshman coming in? Oturu?

Will the team be better or worse than last year?

gopher wes
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by gopher wes » Tue Sep 11 10:52 am

Even with Mason gone, I don't see how they could possibly be worse than last year unless some unforeseen injuries (or stupid players getting themselves suspended like last year) happen. Curry/Coffey back from injury will certainly help and Murphy/McBrayer being senior leaders will be a good thing I hope.

That being said, they are being picked to finish middle to bottom of the pack in what is always a pretty strong conference. Until they play a few games to see what they have in some of their freshmen, I don't really know why anyone would predict anything other than a middle of the pack B1G team.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Sep 11 10:56 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Sep 11 9:55 am
For those of us who don't follow basketball closely. They had a player hurt last year before the season. I expect he's back and we should have 1-2 decent freshman coming in? Oturu?

Curry has been cleared for full contact. He should be more than ready. Coffey is back at 100% as well. The only player not cleared for full contact practice is one of the freshmen but he should be fine by the time practice starts.

The Gophs are going to be as good as their guards are. They have plenty of good forwards but they need Washington to take the next step. If the guards play well the Gophs this year will be as good as the Gophs were supposed to be last year.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Sep 11 12:05 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Sep 11 9:55 am

Assuming they don't get murdered by injury this year, I'd expect them to be better.
Curry is healthy, Coffey is healthy, Oturu should be ready before the season kicks off, Washington got a lot of playing time last year to get his feet wet. They replaced Jamir Harris with Brock Stull, a graduate transfer from UW-Milwaukee who was 2nd on their team in scoring and shot like 40% from 3-pt range.
McBrayer and Murphy are back. Matz Stockman is eligible after sitting out the transfer year to help replace what Konate did.

They should have a tournament-quality team.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Tue Sep 11 7:22 pm

That would be awesome...sounds like the recruiting classes are getting better and better...would love to see a good run of contending bouncy ball

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Oct 20 8:29 am

Apparently 110% committed wasn't enough for the four star recruit the basketball team had.
Sick of LOSERVILLE