Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:15 am

Good Lord Kepler what was the pitch too down the middle and perfect? ;)

(insert Joe Mauer joke here)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 12:20 am

At least Sano leads off the 16th. Can't kill a rally. :wink:

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 12:20 am

I remember that 22 inning game that Munoz won with a walk off. My brother and I were camping out in a tent on our land and I had a little battery powered radio and listened to the whole darn game. We ran out of the tent jumping and screaming after the home run.

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:21 am

What is up with the annoying "whooo" thing every pitch?
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 12:21 am

This guy with the 11+ ERA sure looks good here in the 16th.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 12:24 am

Handyman wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:21 am
What is up with the annoying "whooo" thing every pitch?
I was just going to ask that. I recall that from past late extra inning games though too. Guess it’s the thing to do?

User avatar
Jane Fonda
Veteran
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Apr 22 3:53 pm
Location: Free DX
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times
Age: 34

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 19 12:26 am

What the hell got into Zach Littell?

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:27 am

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:21 am
This guy with the 11+ ERA sure looks good here in the 16th.
Littel to the Red Sox:

Image
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:28 am

25 LOB between the two teams :shock:
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:31 am

I think Sano needs some time back in the minors.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 12:35 am

At what point do they start warming up a starter?

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Jun 19 12:36 am

I had to turn it off. Are we still going?

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:36 am

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:36 am
I had to turn it off. Are we still going?
Sadly yes.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 12:38 am

And still finding creative ways to make it interesting.

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:41 am

Boston wasted that one...badly.

Good lord let this end.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 12:42 am

This game is silly.

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:44 am

So Boston is pulling Velasquez and he is ticked...
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:51 am

I am not sure you should tick off the umps right now...even if you are right Cora.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:53 am

Doesnt score on a double...good god.

He would have been out but man that sucked!

2nd and 3rd one out. COME ON CRON!
Last edited by Handyman on Wed Jun 19 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 12:53 am

That's why Rosario isn't a base coach. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:54 am

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:53 am
That's why Rosario isn't a base coach. :mrgreen:
I can forgive him he has like 35 hits this game :D
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 12:55 am

Thank you Kepler!!

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:56 am

HERR KEPLER!!!
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Jun 19 12:56 am

What happened???

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:57 am

Still no three game losing streaks :)

(Cora is rightly ticked FWIW Rosario should have been out)

Meh...PRETENDERS!
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 12:58 am

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:56 am
What happened???
Kepler got a single with the bases loaded. (intentional walk to Cron)

Rosario should have been out cause he tried bunting and stepped out of the box in his attempt. Ump didnt see it. He got a double which forced the IW and the eventual end of the game.

Pretty sure Kepler swore in his interview with Marney as Gibson tried to douse him :lol:
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 1:03 am

Goodnight, (or good morning?) GPL. 😴

Glad this game was worth losing sleep over!

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 1:06 am

Zack Littell with his first big league win. :lol:

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 6989
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jun 19 1:10 am

Kepler is a machine right now
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 6:22 am

I went to bed after Eddie's bonehead baserunning play.
Glad they pulled it out. Fun game to watch!
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 8:46 am

So. Tired. Right. Now.

But it was certainly a fun game to watch. Not sure what would have happened had they correctly called the out of the batters box by Eddie but $h!t happens. We’ve been screwed before and will be again so glad to have one go our way. #game163

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 9:36 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 19 8:46 am
So. Tired. Right. Now.

But it was certainly a fun game to watch. Not sure what would have happened had they correctly called the out of the batters box by Eddie but $h!t happens. We’ve been screwed before and will be again so glad to have one go our way. #game163
They 100% got that call absolutely correct on the field, FWIW.

Rosario was on the chalk. Being on the chalk is the same as being in the batter's box.

Cora has since come out and said he was wrong and the umpires were right and he apologized for blowing up because he saw the replay and the replay showed he was still in the box.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 14161
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 80 times
Age: 51

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jun 19 9:36 am

Glad the call was right. I went to bed after Rosario got picked off on second. I couldn't stay up any longer.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 9:44 am

Handyman wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:58 am
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:56 am
What happened???
Kepler got a single with the bases loaded. (intentional walk to Cron)

Rosario should have been out cause he tried bunting and stepped out of the box in his attempt. Ump didnt see it. He got a double which forced the IW and the eventual end of the game.

Pretty sure Kepler swore in his interview with Marney as Gibson tried to douse him :lol:
Rosario was not out of the box. His front (right) heel was on the front corner of the chalk (or where the chalk starts, it had largely been erased) and his left toes looked to be on the chalk with rest of his foot in he box. Chalk counts as being in the box.

This article has a couple pictures that make it pretty clear he was in the box and umps got it 100% correct.

https://amp.barstoolsports.com/boston/a ... he-red-sox
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6896
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times
Age: 32

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 19 9:54 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:36 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 19 8:46 am
So. Tired. Right. Now.

But it was certainly a fun game to watch. Not sure what would have happened had they correctly called the out of the batters box by Eddie but $h!t happens. We’ve been screwed before and will be again so glad to have one go our way. #game163
They 100% got that call absolutely correct on the field, FWIW.

Rosario was on the chalk. Being on the chalk is the same as being in the batter's box.

Cora has since come out and said he was wrong and the umpires were right and he apologized for blowing up because he saw the replay and the replay showed he was still in the box.
I honestly didn’t know the official rule. So any part of your foot on the line (if some of it is out) still counts as in while you are awaiting the pitch?
I thought you had to be fully in until contact was made but thanks for sharing the link!

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 19 9:58 am

Huh I was always told otherwise. Then justice prevails :)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 10:02 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:54 am
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:36 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 19 8:46 am
So. Tired. Right. Now.

But it was certainly a fun game to watch. Not sure what would have happened had they correctly called the out of the batters box by Eddie but $h!t happens. We’ve been screwed before and will be again so glad to have one go our way. #game163
They 100% got that call absolutely correct on the field, FWIW.

Rosario was on the chalk. Being on the chalk is the same as being in the batter's box.

Cora has since come out and said he was wrong and the umpires were right and he apologized for blowing up because he saw the replay and the replay showed he was still in the box.
I honestly didn’t know the official rule. So any part of your foot on the line (if some of it is out) still counts as in while you are awaiting the pitch?
I thought you had to be fully in until contact was made but thanks for sharing the link!
Yep, as long as any part of your foot is touching any part of the chalk.
Frank Thomas (among a lot of others) used to kick out a bunch of the back of the batter's box to try to get to stand as far back as possible to give himself the most time to react. He'd kick as much if the chalk out as possible and then as the game got later he'd slide back farther and farther because it was impossible to tell exactly where the chalk was. So he'd have basically his big toe and inside of his foot on his back foot where the very back of chalk started and everything else would be "outside the box" but he still counted as in the box as long as his toe was in.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times
Age: 60

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Composer » Wed Jun 19 10:06 am

Tony did that all the time.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 10:29 am

Nice. I thought they missed it as well. Figured the toes being out counted as not in the box.

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times
Age: 60

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Composer » Wed Jun 19 11:17 am


Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2393
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 19 12:26 pm

Composer wrote:
Wed Jun 19 11:17 am
538 Article on Twins Pitching
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/su ... -surprise/
I do enjoy the irony there that in this was supposed to be the new All Analytics All The Time era, and really, their success has just come from coaching their guys better.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 12:31 pm

Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:26 pm
Composer wrote:
Wed Jun 19 11:17 am
538 Article on Twins Pitching
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/su ... -surprise/
I do enjoy the irony there that in this was supposed to be the new All Analytics All The Time era, and really, their success has just come from coaching their guys better.
The coaching guys better is a direct relationship with the analytics and data they can collect, though. Things like the edgertronic and Rapsodo camera and increased understanding of spin rates etc.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2393
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 19 12:40 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:31 pm


The coaching guys better is a direct relationship with the analytics and data they can collect, though. Things like the edgertronic and Rapsodo camera and increased understanding of spin rates etc.
If you want to include anything that uses a computer chip under the umbrella of "analytics", then I guess. Traditionally though, when you're talking about front offices using analytical data, it's in terms of roster construction. Not many numbers geeks would have been banging their shoe on the table to get Jake Odorizzi or Martin Perez before the season. The overall point is, they haven't necessarily fundamentally changed the way they're doing things, they're just doing it in a more advanced, efficient way.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3372
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Contact:

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Jun 19 12:47 pm

I'm enjoying this season and hate to nitpick, but man... I don't know how much more I can take of Sano. I know... analytics... strikeouts don't matter... blah, blah, blah. I just personally can't stand the astronomical strikeout rate. Put the ball in play and at least make the other team earn it.

Of course, now that I said that, I fully expect him to hit a couple of home runs tonight and make me look foolish for writing this (for a day at least, until he strikes out 20 more times again next week).

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 19 12:50 pm

I give Sano slack when he's striking out a lot but also mashing it when the pitcher misses his spot. But he's not doing that right now. Grooved fastballs are getting by him, when those used to be deposited 400+ feet away from the plate.

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2393
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 19 12:52 pm

Last week we were trading Sano for Max Scherzer.....but you know, only if Washington threw in Sean Doolittle too. :lol:

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 12:57 pm

Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:40 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:31 pm


The coaching guys better is a direct relationship with the analytics and data they can collect, though. Things like the edgertronic and Rapsodo camera and increased understanding of spin rates etc.
If you want to include anything that uses a computer chip under the umbrella of "analytics", then I guess. Traditionally though, when you're talking about front offices using analytical data, it's in terms of roster construction. Not many numbers geeks would have been banging their shoe on the table to get Jake Odorizzi or Martin Perez before the season. The overall point is, they haven't necessarily fundamentally changed the way they're doing things, they're just doing it in a more advanced, efficient way.
Odorizzi was already on the team 😉

The stuff Wes Johnson uses for training programs was rooted in analytical data - pitch sequencing, tunneling, spin rate/pitch design, all are rooted in what becomes the most effective way to get hitters out. Throwing high fastball followed by high breaking ball, etc. rather than the traditional "up and in-low and away" pattern of old. Effectiveness of different pitch locations (pitchers throwing more up in the zone, as other articles have addressed). Overweight/underweight training is gaining in popularity due to the data that is being collected.

They've used this available information and research that has been compiled to show it is effective.

These things lead to increases in strikeout rate, swing and miss rate, etc. Which are the traditional "analytic" stats that you're referring to. Being able to use the technology and philosophies that Johnson uses are the reason their "pitching analytics" have improved. This article didn't really do a whole lot to touch on the actual use of analytics but there have been other ones shared in this thread.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 1:05 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:50 pm
I give Sano slack when he's striking out a lot but also mashing it when the pitcher misses his spot. But he's not doing that right now. Grooved fastballs are getting by him, when those used to be deposited 400+ feet away from the plate.
He looks really uncomfortable right now at the dish. The ball he hit after the Kepler HR looked like it was scalded but the 2B was shifted over close to the 2B bag and was able to snag it before it got to the outfield.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2393
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 19 1:10 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 12:57 pm


Odorizzi was already on the team 😉

The stuff Wes Johnson uses for training programs was rooted in analytical data - pitch sequencing, tunneling, spin rate/pitch design, all are rooted in what becomes the most effective way to get hitters out. Throwing high fastball followed by high breaking ball, etc. rather than the traditional "up and in-low and away" pattern of old. Effectiveness of different pitch locations (pitchers throwing more up in the zone, as other articles have addressed). Overweight/underweight training is gaining in popularity due to the data that is being collected.

They've used this available information and research that has been compiled to show it is effective.

These things lead to increases in strikeout rate, swing and miss rate, etc. Which are the traditional "analytic" stats that you're referring to. Being able to use the technology and philosophies that Johnson uses are the reason their "pitching analytics" have improved. This article didn't really do a whole lot to touch on the actual use of analytics but there have been other ones shared in this thread.
And they a) kept Odorizzi because b)nobody else was particularly interested in him.

You can get as granular into the process of actually coaching as you want. The bottom line is that you get better and have success by coaching the guys you have better, not by crunching numbers on their past stats.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 1:50 pm

As for the Sano criticism, yes last night was painful and so, to an extent, was Monday night.

But overall he's off to a pretty good start in his first full month.

https://www.twinkietown.com/2019/6/18/1 ... full-month
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Jun 19 7:26 pm

Today also not a good start for sano. Here’s hoping he picks it up

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1523
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Wed Jun 19 7:40 pm

Gibson is also off to a rough start

Lars Sauve
Rookie
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Apr 16 10:41 am
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Lars Sauve » Wed Jun 19 7:51 pm

Pretty sure the body I found a few years back was wearing a sweatshirt that said something like analytics is only roster construction. I wish I took a picture.
Be net-crashing, steel-driving men, like Oh Henry!

User avatar
Jane Fonda
Veteran
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Apr 22 3:53 pm
Location: Free DX
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times
Age: 34

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 19 8:38 pm

La Tortuga Dong!!!

User avatar
Jane Fonda
Veteran
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Apr 22 3:53 pm
Location: Free DX
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times
Age: 34

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 19 8:42 pm

Kepler Dong!

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 9:20 pm

Not the kind of start you want from your SP on the day after a 17 inning game.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 9:23 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 7:26 pm
Today also not a good start for sano. Here’s hoping he picks it up


Found this tweet interesting after reading some of the comments on this thread and on Facebook/Twitter yesterday. The "last 7 days" stats don't include yesterday's game because it was still in progress, but still.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Jane Fonda
Veteran
Posts: 5862
Joined: Tue Apr 22 3:53 pm
Location: Free DX
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times
Age: 34

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Jun 19 9:43 pm

Is there anything Tortuga can't do?

User avatar
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Jul 29 12:50 pm
Location: NW Metro
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 18 times
Age: 48

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Jun 19 9:51 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:23 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 7:26 pm
Today also not a good start for sano. Here’s hoping he picks it up


Found this tweet interesting after reading some of the comments on this thread and on Facebook/Twitter yesterday. The "last 7 days" stats don't include yesterday's game because it was still in progress, but still.
TwinsGeek should be smart enough to realize that Sano's power numbers came from mashing hanging off speed pitches. Pitchers aren't throwing those pitches to him anymore. Now all he sees is breaking stuff low and away and fastballs up and in. Until Sano learns better pitch recognition and shortens up his swing, this is his ceiling.
Last edited by Don Adams Wheel of Justice on Wed Jun 19 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 9:51 pm

This Poppen kid they called up has some juice. 94-97mph with a lot of run and a pretty tight slider.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30340
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 120 times
Contact:

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 19 9:51 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:43 pm
Is there anything Tortuga can't do?
Probably avoid the buffet line. :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 19 10:10 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:51 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:23 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 7:26 pm
Today also not a good start for sano. Here’s hoping he picks it up


Found this tweet interesting after reading some of the comments on this thread and on Facebook/Twitter yesterday. The "last 7 days" stats don't include yesterday's game because it was still in progress, but still.
TwinsGeek should be smart enough to realize that Sano's power numbers came from mashing hanging off speed pitches. Pitchers aren't throwing those pitches to him anymore. Now all he sees is breaking stuff low and away and fastballs up and in. Until Sano learns better pitch recognition and shortens up his swing, this is his ceiling.
You mean he capitalized on mistake pitches like every good hitter does? Pitchers don't intentionally throw hanging breaking stuff.

He's in a slump right now where he's missing mistake pitches. It happens.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7217
Joined: Fri Jan 09 8:15 am
Location: Maplewood
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Iceburg » Thu Jun 20 12:07 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:51 pm
This Poppen kid they called up
Image

Retired Thread Police

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times
Age: 60

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Composer » Thu Jun 20 7:14 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 10:10 pm
Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:51 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 19 9:23 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Wed Jun 19 7:26 pm
Today also not a good start for sano. Here’s hoping he picks it up


Found this tweet interesting after reading some of the comments on this thread and on Facebook/Twitter yesterday. The "last 7 days" stats don't include yesterday's game because it was still in progress, but still.
TwinsGeek should be smart enough to realize that Sano's power numbers came from mashing hanging off speed pitches. Pitchers aren't throwing those pitches to him anymore. Now all he sees is breaking stuff low and away and fastballs up and in. Until Sano learns better pitch recognition and shortens up his swing, this is his ceiling.
You mean he capitalized on mistake pitches like every good hitter does? Pitchers don't intentionally throw hanging breaking stuff.

He's in a slump right now where he's missing mistake pitches. It happens.
The good news is, the Twins can afford to keep playing him right now and give him a chance to get more consistent.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 18783
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 257 times
Age: 53

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 20 7:18 pm

After the slug Kepler leads off with an out ;) Polanco goes yard.
1-0 good guys!
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4922
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 92 times
Age: 53

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jun 20 7:30 pm

Kind of getting tired of the "they are still tired from the 17 inning game" excuse they are still saying on FSN. It's right up there with the "tired for months "after the world jrs.

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28139
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 183 times
Been liked: 266 times
Age: 39

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Handyman » Thu Jun 20 7:33 pm

Well Odorrizi isnt tired but he isnt exactly pitching well...
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7445
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 108 times
Age: 101
Contact:

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by JWG » Fri Jun 21 6:54 am

Looks like the Twins May have found the slump we knew would come at some point. Just work through it.
JWG
[This space for rent]

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4922
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 92 times
Age: 53

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jun 21 7:38 pm

Cave doesn't get to a foul ball, Polanco side arms one to first and Perez not sharp. Not a good 1st inning for the Twins

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 21 7:58 pm

Jake Cave is so brutal in the outfield.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times
Age: 60

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Composer » Fri Jun 21 8:07 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jun 21 7:38 pm
Cave doesn't get to a foul ball, Polanco side arms one to first and Perez not sharp. Not a good 1st inning for the Twins
Just to clarify, Polanco sidearms all of his throws.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4922
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 92 times
Age: 53

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jun 21 8:13 pm

Composer wrote:
Fri Jun 21 8:07 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jun 21 7:38 pm
Cave doesn't get to a foul ball, Polanco side arms one to first and Perez not sharp. Not a good 1st inning for the Twins
Just to clarify, Polanco sidearms all of his throws.
But most are on target, this one wasn't. :)

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3743
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times
Age: 60

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Composer » Fri Jun 21 8:39 pm

Junis’ Slider must be deceptive. Everyone is waving at it.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28060
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 168 times
Age: 31

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 21 8:47 pm

Composer wrote:
Fri Jun 21 8:39 pm
Junis’ Slider must be deceptive. Everyone is waving at it.
That, combined with the run he's getting on his 2-seamer (sinker) are getting a lot of hitters off balance. I'd imagine he's tunneling pretty well but I don't have the gif skills to prove it. If he's tunneling as well as it appears on TV it would make sense why guys are having a tough time picking it up. They aren't too far apart in velo (93ish-85ish) and move in opposite directions.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Maize
Veteran
Posts: 2393
Joined: Tue Sep 20 10:15 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Maize » Fri Jun 21 9:38 pm

Sano should try some analytics like swinging with a batting donut so he can catch up to fastballs. Three strikeouts and counting tonight. 27 in his last 55 at-bats.

Post Reply