Minnesota Twins 2014 - ∞: To Infinity & Beyond!

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 17 11:24 am

Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 17 11:11 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Jun 17 11:03 am
Are the owners proposing pro-rated pay with respect to the reduced schedule? Is there anything that out of line with that?
Their last proposal was 75% of the pro-rated salary.
Is this really out of line considering there will be no ticket or concessions revenue? Serious question. I am not arguing for or against either side.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Jun 17 11:25 am

You seem to be arguing for the owners considering you said the players are pissing away the season.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 17 11:27 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Jun 17 11:25 am
You seem to be arguing for the owners considering you said the players are pissing away the season.
You assume “them” means players? :confused2:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jun 17 11:56 am

Maize wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Are the owners proposing pro-rated pay with respect to the reduced schedule? Is there anything that out of line with that?
Wow that's pretty piss poor.
Currently under construction.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 17 12:03 pm

At this point, I don't care if they come back this season. As much as I love the Twins, the weather this spring going into summer has been 1000% better than the prior couple of years, so I seem to be spending more time outside doing projects. Although I think the Twins would have had a great team this year. I'm more concerned about the fall and winter sports starting on time.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jun 17 12:54 pm

I don't know too many business owners who are going to volunteer to run their businesses at a loss. If the numbers don't look good, why would they want to go into production?

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Jun 17 1:01 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Jun 17 12:54 pm
I don't know too many business owners who are going to volunteer to run their businesses at a loss. If the numbers don't look good, why would they want to go into production?
So by that thinking, every business should not have been running since the world shut down for the pandemic?

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 17 1:25 pm

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by YoungEagle » Wed Jun 17 1:33 pm

From the brink of disaster to this in 24 hours.

“That’s wild” - John Gruden
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jun 17 1:37 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed Jun 17 1:01 pm
streakygopher wrote:
So by that thinking, every business should not have been running since the world shut down for the pandemic?
That's a false dilemma. Not "every business" is affected in exactly the same way, but for every Zoom or Microsoft how many JC Penney's are there? Moreover, many small and vulnerable businesses have shut down. Others may be buoyed by government stimulus. It still may not be enough, and I would expect some serious economic fallout before this is over. There will be a lot of shuttered businesses and empty store fronts. For those who do make it, they'll be awash in survivor's debt.

Many of the larger companies have furloughed or laid off employees, cut off capital investment and delayed facility improvements - there are hiring and spending freezes. They haven't shut down, but they are hurting. Like baseball owners at a time of uncertain, unquantifiable risk, they aren't adding any more costs than they have to.

Baseball owners didn't get rich by being stupid. Their biggest cost is players' salaries. I don't know what all of the operational costs are of running a professional baseball franchise, but if they already are incurring massive losses due to staff salaries, cost of capital, infrastructure etc., why would they reopen to mostly empty stadiums if the business model can't support paying players' salaries?

Maybe there is a way to get some semblance of a season going - but I'm not counting on it. Major league sporting events are the poster children of what not to do in a pandemic.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 17 1:54 pm

streakygopher wrote:
MLB just signed a new media deal with Turner Sports worth over $3 billion over the next 7 years. For playoff games. Like a week ago.

This doesn't include the money ESPN pays for SNB or local affiliates that pay to broadcast games. And about 20 months ago, FOX paid 5.1 billion for a renewal of their broadcast rights. IIRC, ESPN was paying about $900 million per year under their current deal. They also sold BAMTech to Disney for another $4 billion. So over the last 3-4 years they have netted roughly 6 billion before whatever each team made individually.

The current CBA has benefited the ownership groups far more than the players (salaries have largely stagnated, while profits have gone up).

The MLB owners, knowing this is a unique scenario, are asking for revenue sharing for this season (essentially asking the players to subsidize any losses).

The players agreed in March to prorate their salaries for regular season. On a 100 game schedule, this would save the MLB owners roughly 1.6 billion. Manfred previously said that roughly 40% of revenues are home-stadium related (tickets and concessions).

Most reports I saw said that if teams could make up even 70% of non-stadium revenue, teams would likely be able to break even given the concessions players have made regarding payments.

And had they not kicked this so frickin terribly their ratings would have been absolutely through the roof. They had a chance to be the only major 4 sport going on in a time where a large section of the country was stuck at home watching TV. They had a chance to grow their TV audience, gain new fans, and bring the game back to the forefront of sports. Something that could have netted them billions more in the future. They ruined it.

Now we have to hope they didn't botch it beyond repair.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jun 17 1:56 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Why would a pro-rated season with both reduced revenues and expenses run at a loss?

Even assuming I am naively not correctly accounting for the expenses how about simply not coming across as bad actors? MLB has taken many hits the past 2 decades. Viewership during the WS continues to decline and they had a chance to demonstrate for one season it's about more than possible losses for a league owned by billionaires across the board.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jun 17 2:20 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Jun 17 1:56 pm
streakygopher wrote:
Why would a pro-rated season with both reduced revenues and expenses run at a loss?

Even assuming I am naively not correctly accounting for the expenses how about simply not coming across as bad actors? MLB has taken many hits the past 2 decades. Viewership during the WS continues to decline and they had a chance to demonstrate for one season it's about more than possible losses for a league owned by billionaires across the board.
I guess that's my point. They would go ahead if there is profit to be made. The pandemic is a moving target, however, and I think risk has been hard to define. Owners are probably nervous.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 17 2:31 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

If loss in revenue is greater than the decline in expenses.....

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jun 17 3:17 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 17 2:31 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

Right. Again, I haven't a clue what it costs a franchise to run their business while not playing, but since March their revenue has been zero and there is some basic overhead costs to keeping a business operating. (Not sure at all about their t.v. contracts and what the media is obligated to pay if their is no season. I would assume there is an "act of god" clause in that contract somewhere.)

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jun 17 3:42 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 17 2:31 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
streakygopher wrote:

I already noted that as a possibility.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 17 4:33 pm

Sounds like this may be an extortion attempt. Stay tuned.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 17 9:26 pm

Even if the teams operated at a loss, that's a tax write off in some way, shape, or form.

The players playing at a strict pro-rated 1:1 in relation to games played, is fair.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 17 9:42 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Jun 17 9:26 pm
Even if the teams operated at a loss, that's a tax write off in some way, shape, or form.

The players playing at a strict pro-rated 1:1 in relation to games played, is fair.
I am not sure I agree considering those contracts were written with the expectation that the owner would have full revenue streams available. The Twins fought hard and long for a new stadium because in game revenue was critical to being competitive and making g profit. Now they are taking that ALL away.

The Yankmes, Sox, and Dodgers can absorb to loss....but won’t.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 17 9:44 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 17 9:42 pm
The Rube wrote:

I am not sure I agree considering those contracts were written with the expectation that the owner would have full revenue streams available. The Twins fought hard and long for a new stadium because in game revenue was critical to being competitive and making g profit. Now they are taking that ALL away.

I'd find it easier to agree if the Owners would be a bit more open with their books. If they're really making that much less, then I could find myself on their side, but they mostly refuse to divulge the numbers enough to come to a conclusion.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 17 9:49 pm

Yep, the owners are NOT opening the books. They are notorious in MLB for that.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by D2D » Wed Jun 17 9:59 pm

I'm beginning to care less and less...
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 17 10:11 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 17 9:59 pm
I'm beginning to care less and less...
And that is exactly the problem MLB has right now. Plus, that whole renewing of the MLBPA contract next year.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 17 10:48 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 17 4:33 pm
Sounds like this may be an extortion attempt. Stay tuned.

There's also this, which I've seen mentioned in 3-4 different tweets from different sources. Some saying the sexual assault was multiple rapes. If that's the case... I'd have a hard time blaming Sano if he did beat the tar out of this guy.

streakygopher
Golden
Golden

Post by streakygopher » Thu Jun 18 12:30 pm

The Rube wrote:

Sure, you don't have to pay taxes on income not earned, and a loss can carry forward to reduce tax liability in subsequent tax years. But, a loss is still a loss, regardless of any tax benefit. In the end, your bank balance goes down, not up.

I don't think anyone knows where the MLB sits right now financially, and, the risks are hard to define, but opening a season to play at a loss could be a non-starter. The discussion may be academic anyway, depending on the whim of the virus.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jun 18 8:43 pm

Maize wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Plus they’re stalling to shorten the season claiming they will lose something like 640K on every game played with no fans. I’m guessing they pulled that number directly out of their ass. I know there’s a base of season tickets sold for every game but I’ve watched many many baseball games where there’s 2K people in the stands. They’ll still get tv money and how many people are in the stands will not affect baseball as much as some other sports.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jun 18 8:52 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 17 9:44 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jun 17 9:42 pm
The Rube wrote:

I'd find it easier to agree if the Owners would be a bit more open with their books. If they're really making that much less, then I could find myself on their side, but they mostly refuse to divulge the numbers enough to come to a conclusion.
Plus they are only talking about whether they make money on team operations basis, not even factoring in how much the teams value goes up every year. Rich dicks.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 18 9:20 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Thu Jun 18 8:43 pm
Maize wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Plus they’re stalling to shorten the season claiming they will lose something like 640K on every game played with no fans. I’m guessing they pulled that number directly out of their ass. I know there’s a base of season tickets sold for every game but I’ve watched many many baseball games where there’s 2K people in the stands. They’ll still get tv money and how many people are in the stands will not affect baseball as much as some other sports.
Ass-U-me

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 18 9:32 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 18 9:20 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Maize wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
they are

Ass-U-me
I keep forgetting, is it the Rays or the Marlins that have no attendance? Yet they are still in operation. This is little difference. The owners still get their TV money (which the fans are STARVED for sports right now), and yet...they are claiming they can't operate? C'mon.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 18 10:02 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jun 18 9:32 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 18 9:20 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Maize wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
they are

Ass-U-me
I keep forgetting, is it the Rays or the Marlins that have no attendance? Yet they are still in operation. This is little difference. The owners still get their TV money (which the fans are STARVED for sports right now), and yet...they are claiming they can't operate? C'mon.....
Those Expos were full of $h!t.

The Senators moved to Minnesota for the weather.

I doubt there were too many people outside of Mike Veeck looking to buy the Twins before Target field.

It’s generally a good bet, but I don’t think it’s universal guarantee to make money if you remove all game day revenue. There has to be a reason the owners are looking g for a short schedule.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 18 10:10 pm

The Expos.....that is deeper than what you may have heard (and you may have heard deeper). There's a book, and it was much deeper issues than anyone that was a casual fan knew about. Loria is an ass, but it was bigger than him:
Up Up And Away. On Amazon.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jun 19 8:04 am

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Jun 19 8:20 am

Damn that is a Woke move by the Twins.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Jun 19 8:59 am

The Twins might as well get out in front of it considering the current political climate.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Jun 19 12:28 pm

At the rate things are going, we might want to bump up that family vacation to Mt. Rushmore we keep putting off. It may not exist next summer.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Fri Jun 19 12:56 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jun 19 12:28 pm
At the rate things are going, we might want to bump up that family vacation to Mt. Rushmore we keep putting off. It may not exist next summer.
More true than you realize. I saw an editorial cartoon the other day. It was a sketch of Mr Rushmore and each President had a sign by him listing his sins toward black people.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 19 4:47 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Jun 19 12:56 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Jun 19 12:28 pm
More true than you realize. I saw an editorial cartoon the other day. It was a sketch of Mr Rushmore and each President had a sign by him listing his sins toward black people.
Teddy was more harsh on the Native Americans:

“I don’t go so far as to think that the only good Indians are the dead Indians, but I believe nine out of every 10 are,” Roosevelt said during a January 1886 speech in New York. “And I shouldn’t like to inquire too closely into the case of the tenth.”

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jun 20 5:25 am

Interesting ( not shocked ) if true.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jun 22 7:44 am

Pretty awesome

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jun 22 12:36 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Jun 22 7:44 am
Pretty awesome

I thought the key holdup by the players was getting paid their 100% prorata share of their annual contract amount? When the owners FINALLY agreed to that which my arithmetic says is 60/162 x Annual contract amount, why did the players counter at 70 games (70/162) & subsequently muddy up the water AGAIN? BOTH sides are greedy IDIOTS, And will they ever play a partial season this summer? :oops: :censored:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jun 22 1:37 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Jun 22 12:36 pm
Beauner wrote:
Pretty awesome

I thought the key holdup by the players was getting paid their 100% prorata share of their annual contract amount? When the owners FINALLY agreed to that which my arithmetic says is 60/162 x Annual contract amount, why did the players counter at 70 games (70/162) & subsequently muddy up the water AGAIN? BOTH sides are greedy IDIOTS, And will they ever play a partial season this summer? :oops: :censored:
Because the players want to play as much as they can (and make as much money as they can).

Meanwhile, the owners apparently are completely unwilling to go above 60 games (despite the fact that a 64 game schedule makes absolutely perfect sense - home and home 4-game series with each division team, then three games against each team in other divisions, then one two game series against interleague rival) because they're unwilling to pony up the money they'd pay on the prorated contracts for an additional 4-10 games.

There were reports that more than a couple owners had to basically be forced to agree to the 60 game season because they didn't even want that many - Manfred basically twisted their arms to make that offer (some owners were apparently unaware that they were even going to consider that an official proposal).

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 22 2:39 pm

I haven’t been following it super close but I’m caring less and less each day.

With all of these different sports experiencing outbreaks and quarantining I’m wondering if there will be any sports in 2020.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Viking » Mon Jun 22 2:46 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Jun 22 2:39 pm

With all of these different sports experiencing outbreaks and quarantining I’m wondering if there will be any sports in 2020.
Australian Rules Football has been back for a couple weeks now!!!! :dup:

Unfortunately, it's usually on from 1:30 to 4 AM.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 22 2:52 pm

Viking wrote:
Mon Jun 22 2:46 pm
Zwak wrote:

Cornhole has been on too. I forgot about that.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Viking » Mon Jun 22 3:57 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Jun 22 2:52 pm
Viking wrote:
Mon Jun 22 2:46 pm
Zwak wrote:

Cornhole has been on too. I forgot about that.
But Aussie football is fun to watch!!
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Maize » Mon Jun 22 4:27 pm

How dare those greedy players want to play 70 games at the price owners had willingly agreed to. What's next.....162???

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jun 22 7:47 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Jun 22 1:37 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Jun 22 12:36 pm
Beauner wrote:
Pretty awesome

Because the players want to play as much as they can (and make as much money as they can).

Meanwhile, the owners apparently are completely unwilling to go above 60 games (despite the fact that a 64 game schedule makes absolutely perfect sense - home and home 4-game series with each division team, then three games against each team in other divisions, then one two game series against interleague rival) because they're unwilling to pony up the money they'd pay on the prorated contracts for an additional 4-10 games.

There were reports that more than a couple owners had to basically be forced to agree to the 60 game season because they didn't even want that many - Manfred basically twisted their arms to make that offer (some owners were apparently unaware that they were even going to consider that an official proposal).
My point is quibbling over 4-10 games at this point is INSANE on both their parts ☝️It’s like a line from “The Departed” You can choose...to be cops or criminals... but when your looking down the loaded barrel of a gun, what’s the difference? MLB players & owners are obtuse, the game is fading every day, every year in popularity, they have only themselves to blame🔥

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Armadillo » Tue Jun 23 9:22 pm

We have a season!

-60 games
-Season begins July 23rd or 24th
-Training begins at home parks July 1st
-The National League will have the designated hitter
-Extra innings will begin with a runner on 2nd base

Those last two are, of course, the worst thing to happen ever.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Jun 23 9:23 pm

Armadillo wrote:
Tue Jun 23 9:22 pm
Baseball is about the most boring thing ever, but even I say what in the world to this.
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Jun 23 9:26 pm

Saw on reddit that a pitcher could throw a perfect game and lose with two sac flies in the 10th.
Loserville, USA

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Jun 23 10:58 pm

Armadillo wrote:
We have a season!

-60 games

Are those last two permanent or just this “season” or like as a trial?
I’m okay with the DH. In this modern era it’s stupid to watch pitchers bat.
The runner on second is just dumb. Plenty of other ways to speed up the game without that. Oh, but I forgot. They’ll never take away commercial time.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 23 11:01 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Jun 23 9:23 pm
Armadillo wrote:
Baseball is about the most boring thing ever, but even I say what in the world to this.
That is a softball rule that has been in effect for years. Helps speed up the game. I'm not totally opposed to it, other than TRADITION!!!!!!!!!!!!

(said half-serious)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Tue Jun 23 11:07 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Jun 23 10:58 pm
Armadillo wrote:
We have a season!

-60 games

Are those last two permanent or just this “season” or like as a trial?
I’m okay with the DH. In this modern era it’s stupid to watch pitchers bat.
The runner on second is just dumb. Plenty of other ways to speed up the game without that. Oh, but I forgot. They’ll never take away commercial time.
They are supposed to be for this year only. I’m guessing the DH in the NL might stick around forever. Watching pitchers bat is stupid.

They tried the runner on 2nd to start the inning starting with the 12th inning in the World Baseball Classic a few years back. Just a way to end the game sooner. It adds some more strategy. Saves pitchers. It’s probably just for this year, but if it works out well it may be added on the next collective bargaining agreement.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 24 7:58 am

The runner on 2B ("international rule") is dumb as F for a professional sport. It is used to help games get over if there is a time limit. With the expanded rosters, especially early on, I have a hard time saying that it is for anything other than getting games over faster. Like 3v3 OT. Except a win in International Rules counts as a W in the standings. Not 2pts.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 24 9:09 am

Might as well end the game with a home run derby.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Wed Jun 24 10:40 am

Norm wrote:
Wed Jun 24 9:09 am
I don't care if they put a Ferris wheel in center field. I just want to watch baseball again.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 24 11:37 am

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Jun 24 10:40 am
Norm wrote:
I don't care if they put a Ferris wheel in center field. I just want to watch baseball again.
Now there’s a great idea...!

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Jun 24 12:15 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Wed Jun 24 10:40 am
Norm wrote:
It was a MLB game for like 2003 that had a game where you hit targets and things in the outfield for points. Played that all the time. Wasted so many hours on that game. Having a Ferris wheel in the field reminded me of that.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 26 9:52 am

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Jun 26 12:11 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 24 7:58 am
The runner on 2B ("international rule") is dumb as F for a professional sport. It is used to help games get over if there is a time limit. With the expanded rosters, especially early on, I have a hard time saying that it is for anything other than getting games over faster. Like 3v3 OT. Except a win in International Rules counts as a W in the standings. Not 2pts.
Maybe for any game involving New York or Boston they should do it for 9 innings. That way those games don’t take 7 hours to finish
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Fri Jun 26 12:35 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jun 26 12:11 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 24 7:58 am
Maybe for any game involving New York or Boston they should do it for 9 innings. That way those games don’t take 7 hours to finish
It would seem like that would make the game longer if you did it in the first 9 innings.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by gopher6 » Fri Jun 26 4:10 pm

43 years ago today Rod Carew day at the Met he had 6 standing ovations he is on Burrito right now

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Jul 03 8:25 pm

https://www.kstp.com/minnesota-sports/t ... 055/?cat=1

Shut down baseball, hockey, and basketball for the year. All this effort is not worth it.
Loserville, USA

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 357 times

Post by D2D » Fri Jul 03 8:34 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Jul 03 8:25 pm
Shut down baseball, hockey, and basketball for the year. All this effort is not worth it.
You didn't mention football? :confused2:
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Jul 03 8:44 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Jul 03 8:34 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Jul 03 8:25 pm
You didn't mention football? :confused2:
Cuz most people assume it won't start on time. These other ones are in the news every day trying to start soonish.
Loserville, USA

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 03 9:20 pm

Just forget about the asterisk seasons. Wait it out, then (hopefully) play full seasons next year. We will understand.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Jul 04 6:31 am

gopher6 wrote:
Fri Jun 26 4:10 pm
43 years ago today Rod Carew day at the Met he had 6 standing ovations he is on Burrito right now
I was at that game. Glen Adams, of all people, had 8 Rbi's .

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Jul 04 3:13 pm

Sano positive, too
Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jul 13 6:37 pm

And so it begins...

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by sunbone » Mon Jul 13 6:39 pm

I saw Buxton hurt his knee or ankle today and had to be taken off the field on a cart. Hopefully it is minor but with his history.....

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 13 10:44 pm

I had already forgotten about Buxton.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 13 10:45 pm

I saw vid of the other fielder's reaction. It's not good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Jul 14 8:06 am

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Jul 14 9:31 am

It’s tomorrow morning.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Jul 14 1:31 pm

No internal damage to the foot. So thats good. Just a sprain hopefully.