Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by Composer » Fri Aug 16 7:29 am

D2D wrote:
Thu Aug 15 11:45 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Thu Aug 15 10:23 pm
Regarding an earlier post an electronic strike zone is 100% fine with me
How accurate is it, though, in assessing exactly where the ball is when it crosses the plate, as opposed to where it ends up in the catcher's glove?
A) More accurate than most of the umpires
B) More consistent than all of the umpires
C) The Fox-Trac that FSN uses shows where the ball is when it crosses the front plane of the plate (not the catcher's glove, if that's what you meant)
D) It should be able to scan at both the front of the plate and the back of the square part of the plate.(I don't think it's likely/possible to miss the back corner but hit the back point)

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Aug 16 9:53 am

Composer wrote:
Fri Aug 16 7:29 am
D2D wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
How accurate is it, though, in assessing exactly where the ball is when it crosses the plate, as opposed to where it ends up in the catcher's glove?
C) The Fox-Trac that FSN uses shows where the ball is when it crosses the front plane of the plate (not the catcher's glove, if that's what you meant)
D) It should be able to scan at both the front of the plate and the back of the square part of the plate.(I don't think it's likely/possible to miss the back corner but hit the back point)
That back corner could technically be important for top to bottom movement. But I doubt humans could really tell at these speeds. My guess is the back triangle comes into play only for slow pitch softball, if ever.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Aug 16 10:39 am

I made my first visit to Miller Park on Wednesday. My thoughts...

1. The roof was closed. Spotty showers were within 50 miles, but it never rained in Milwaukee during the game. By the 5th inning, the sun was out. They kept the roof closed for the entire game, and then opened it AFTER the game was over. WTF? Can't they open the roof during the game? It's really stuffy in there when the roof is closed. No air movement at all.

2. The logistics of getting to/from a game there are a freaking nightmare. No mass transit, so parking is a giant cluster... not to mention the clogged freeways nearby. I suppose if tailgating is your thing, it's great. For me personally, it would be a huge deterrent to deciding to go to a game if I were a Brewers fan.

The game itself was fun. Brewer fans were fine. One thing I like about Miller Park is they don't play that annoying organ/music/crowd interaction stuff after every single pitch like they do at Target Field. It's a much more enjoyable experience for those of us who don't have ADD.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Viking » Fri Aug 16 11:26 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Fri Aug 16 10:39 am
I made my first visit to Miller Park on Wednesday. My thoughts...

1. The roof was closed. Spotty showers were within 50 miles, but it never rained in Milwaukee during the game. By the 5th inning, the sun was out. They kept the roof closed for the entire game, and then opened it AFTER the game was over. WTF? Can't they open the roof during the game? It's really stuffy in there when the roof is closed. No air movement at all.

2. The logistics of getting to/from a game there are a freaking nightmare. No mass transit, so parking is a giant cluster... not to mention the clogged freeways nearby. I suppose if tailgating is your thing, it's great. For me personally, it would be a huge deterrent to deciding to go to a game if I were a Brewers fan.

The game itself was fun. Brewer fans were fine. One thing I like about Miller Park is they don't play that annoying organ/music/crowd interaction stuff after every single pitch like they do at Target Field. It's a much more enjoyable experience for those of us who don't have ADD.
1. They are allowed to move the roof (open it or close it) once during the game. After that it is up to the umpire crew and the team managers. It also takes up to 15 minutes to move it, so it's likely going to stay at the game time position throughout the game unless something really radical happens with the weather.

2. Never had a problem getting to or from a game there. In fact it's always been one of the easiest for me.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Aug 16 2:05 pm

Composer wrote:
D2D wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Wouldn’t the umpires union have a say in this?
Would a manager still be thrown out for arguing balls and strikes?
Why not get rid of all the umpires and just have dorks looking at video screens making the calls?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Aug 16 2:47 pm

Yes, the union would have a say. Likely a large part of why this isn't already a thing.
Yes, they would, but if the strike/ball calls are consistent, there won't be much for a manager to complain about anyway. The reason managers get worked up is the INconsistency of many umpires
Speed. The dorks in a room will be slower to make the routine calls than the umpire on the field. Things like a strike-zone can be relatively easily computerized, which will make it plenty fast enough, while a lot of the other on-field things are not as easily coded.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Fri Aug 16 2:51 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Fri Aug 16 2:05 pm
Former Twin Frank Viola holds the honor of being the first manager to get ejected for arguing automated balls and strikes calls: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/atla ... mpire-era/

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Aug 16 4:23 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Aug 16 2:47 pm
Yes, the union would have a say. Likely a large part of why this isn't already a thing.
Yes, they would, but if the strike/ball calls are consistent, there won't be much for a manager to complain about anyway. The reason managers get worked up is the INconsistency of many umpires
Speed. The dorks in a room will be slower to make the routine calls than the umpire on the field. Things like a strike-zone can be relatively easily computerized, which will make it plenty fast enough, while a lot of the other on-field things are not as easily coded.
I think it’s entertaining to see a manager get tossed and part of the game. Much more entertaining than umpires standing in a circle with the thumbs up their a$$ waiting for somebody else to make the call.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Aug 16 5:42 pm

Computerized strike zones also add significantly more time to the game than people expect. There's a 2-3 second delay between when the pitch is caught and when the umpire is relayed the call from the computer.

Frank Viola was on with Barreiro to discuss his experience with it (he got tossed in the first game it was ever used, more on that in a minute). I forget the exact numbers but the first two games of their series were "robot umped" for the strikezone and the third game was standard. The robot ump games with both 3 hours and 15+ minutes. The standard game was like 2:35. 2-3 extra seconds on every pitch when there are 300ish pitches is going to add a pretty decent chunk of time.

The reason Viola got tossed was because the robot zone at times didn't read the pitch. The umpire, relying on the robot ump, wouldn't call a strike right down the middle a strike because the human ump didn't hear the queue from the robot. It allows the plate umpire to essentially be lazy and by pay attention. Then the system doesn't read the pitch and the plate umpire didn't have the ability or authority to call it a strike even if it was belt high down the middle.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Aug 16 5:59 pm

All that said, there definitely needs to be something done WRT some of the shoddy umpiring behind the plate. They supposedly have punishments but obviously doesn't seem to be doing much to defer some of the notoriously terrible guys from being awful. I dunno why they don't reward the guys who do the best job behind there with more games behind the dish instead of just rotating everybody every time.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Aug 16 8:58 pm

Let’s just completely automate the game. Lasers and sensors in baselines, foul poles, outfield walls, balls, gloves and bases so they can determine who/what got there first. Let’s just take the human element out the game entirely.
That’s how we are doing everything else these days it seems.

I’m mostly being facetious.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Aug 16 9:05 pm

Another starter can’t make it through the 6th and here comes the bullpen.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Fri Aug 16 9:19 pm

Boom

Viking
Golden
Golden

Post by Viking » Fri Aug 16 9:42 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Composer wrote:
D2D wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Why not get rid of all the umpires and just have dorks looking at video screens making the calls?
Anything keeping Joe West and Angel Hernandez anywhere near a baseball field is just plain wrong. If an automated strike zone will get rid of them... f*** yeah!
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Aug 16 9:47 pm

For the second question of course not because they have no reason to argue.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Fri Aug 16 10:12 pm

Viking wrote:
Fri Aug 16 9:42 pm
Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Composer wrote:
D2D wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Anything keeping Joe West and Angel Hernandez anywhere near a baseball field is just plain wrong. If an automated strike zone will get rid of them... f*** yeah!
There has always been bad umpires.
Again I am old school. I don't like umpires looking at replays. I even don't like the computer generated box that I have to look at.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Aug 16 10:15 pm

There are umpires who make bad calls, and then there are umpires like West and Hernandez.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Aug 16 10:26 pm

Big win.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 17 2:56 pm

Get another win tonight and we'll have beaten Texas's two best SPs back to back days. That would be pretty nice. Hopefully the Yankees can beat Cleveland again.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Aug 17 4:47 pm

Indians lose to Yankees. Twins have Berrios their “ace” on the mound. Let’s go Jose! Twins need a quality start.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Sat Aug 17 5:17 pm

I liked the 3 guys in the 7th/8th/9th...that could work

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 17 8:04 pm

That is one definition of a quality start
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

gopher6
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Sat Aug 17 8:05 pm

4-0 Twinkies in the 1st

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 17 8:06 pm

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Aug 17 8:38 pm

Berrios :roll:

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat Aug 17 8:42 pm

Yeah, he's terrible tonight.

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Sat Aug 17 8:42 pm

Twins on pace to win this one 36-27.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Aug 17 8:45 pm

Offense give him two six run leads. This is our “ace”.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 34 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Aug 17 8:46 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Aug 17 8:38 pm
Berrios :roll:
And it’s not just this start...something’s not right
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 8:55 pm

ESPN, for a brief second, has Berrios with 6R, but only 2ER, then it reverts back to 2 runs only (because ESPN website sucks). Can anyone give the dirt?
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Aug 17 9:04 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 17 8:55 pm
ESPN, for a brief second, has Berrios with 6R, but only 2ER, then it reverts back to 2 runs only (because ESPN website sucks). Can anyone give the dirt?
6 runs, and 2 earned is correct. But, the way he is pitching, he deserves to be charged with all 6. :D

BTW, Sano had the error to lead to the unearned runs.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Aug 17 9:09 pm

The Rube wrote:
The ESPN app has rarely been wrong for me. Today it is glitche with the Twins game but I can’t recall any other issues.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 9:11 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:09 pm
The Rube wrote:
The ESPN app has rarely been wrong for me. Today it is glitche with the Twins game but I can’t recall any other issues.
I don't have the app. I was on the actual site.

And thanks for the updates on the ER/R thing, frozen!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by F Da Sue » Sat Aug 17 9:13 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 16 8:58 pm
Let’s just completely automate the game. Lasers and sensors in baselines, foul poles, outfield walls, balls, gloves and bases so they can determine who/what got there first. Let’s just take the human element out the game entirely.
Sounds good to me.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 9:30 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:13 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Aug 16 8:58 pm
Sounds good to me.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Aug 17 9:38 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:11 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:09 pm
The Rube wrote:
I don't have the app. I was on the actual site.

And thanks for the updates on the ER/R thing, frozen!
:confused2:

People still sit at computers while not at work?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 9:44 pm

Hi, I'm The Rube. I write checks for rent and car payment, have a flip phone, and use a computer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by JWG » Sat Aug 17 9:46 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:44 pm
Hi, I'm The Rube. I write checks for rent and car payment, have a flip phone, and use a computer.
He thought you only used an adding machine at home.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Aug 17 9:52 pm

Pretty good imitation of Gibson tonight. And here comes the bullpen.......

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 9:52 pm

JWG wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:46 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 17 9:44 pm
He thought you only used an adding machine at home.
I prefer an abacus. Or counting on my fingers and toes.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 223 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Aug 17 10:28 pm

Cron's hit was a fair ball. Why no challenge? Cost them a run.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Sat Aug 17 10:45 pm

Key run there, now a field goal only ties it.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Aug 17 10:46 pm

Aggressive baserunning worked out that time. Choo is no slouch.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden

Post by gopherguy13 » Sat Aug 17 10:48 pm

Lmao, the bullpen running out to "help" in a benches clearing situation is one of the most bizarre things in sports, to me. :lol:
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 17 10:55 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
Sat Aug 17 10:28 pm
Cron's hit was a fair ball. Why no challenge? Cost them a run.
Assuming Cave still gets a hit there, yeah. I'm wondering if they didn't have a good enough video in time to see it was clearly fair.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 17 10:56 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Sat Aug 17 10:48 pm
Lmao, the bullpen running out to "help" in a benches clearing situation is one of the most bizarre things in sports, to me. :lol:
I said the same exact thing to my buddy 🤣🤣 so weird. Hey let's all half jog all the way out there to stand 20 feet away from everyone.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 17 10:57 pm

That was a great outing by May.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sat Aug 17 11:03 pm

Huge runs off of Sano's big knock there!

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Kelor » Sat Aug 17 11:03 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Aug 17 10:56 pm
gopherguy13 wrote:
I said the same exact thing to my buddy 🤣🤣 so weird. Hey let's all half jog all the way out there to stand 20 feet away from everyone.
Maybe they thought it was an excellent opportunity for a little exercise. :mrgreen:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 17 11:12 pm

Graterol has been moved to the bullpen for the remainder of the season after spending 2ish months on the IL. Could be a call-up guy late in August (to make him eligible for post-season) if he pitches well in Rochester.
He was clocked at 103mph the other day in a relief outing. :shock:

Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Sun Aug 18 11:36 am

Kelor wrote:
Sat Aug 17 11:03 pm
Beauner wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:
Maybe they thought it was an excellent opportunity for a little exercise. :mrgreen:
The way they were moving, nobody seemed to enthusiastic about getting there or exercise. The two bullpens could have met in the middle and saved some time.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Aug 18 2:08 pm

Hopefully Lance Lynn pitches today the way he pitched for the Twins in 2018 😉

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Aug 18 3:15 pm

Danny Santana...a regular Hoover vacuum cleaner at 1B today for Texas 😂

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Aug 18 5:17 pm

Polanco! Nice bases loaded two out triple. 6-3 good guys.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Aug 18 6:01 pm

Huge weekend and a great road trip for the Twins.

Too bad the stupid ass Yankees couldn't win today.
Now comes 13 straight against Chicago and Detroit. Cleveland goes to play at the Mets for the next 3 games (off tomorrow).

CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Sun Aug 18 6:54 pm

A really good 4 game road sweep (which doesn't happen that often) to go back up 2.5 games (3 in the loss column).

At 76-48 the Twins are currently on pace for 99 wins. We all had that predicted for this season right? :wink:

Going 23-15 (current season pace) over the last 38 games seems reasonable when 26 of the games are against the Tigers (10 games), White Sox (9 games), and Royals (7 games).

Go 19-19 the rest of the way and they end up with 95 wins.

I agree they have had some bad points the past two months but the players are having a very good season. I wish ownership would have been willing to take on payroll at the trade deadline to make a splash pitching move to give them a better chance in the playoffs against the Astros and Yankees. In my opinion this was a season to go for it since the hitters are averaging almost 6 runs a games (5.82).

Does anybody really think they will have a better offense/chance in future years? When you are a smaller market team unfortunately you get a lot less chances to have great seasons so in my opinion when you do you should go for it.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 18 7:33 pm

Every team goes through a slump. And every team goes through a surge. The MN/CLE arcs happened to cross at the exact best/worst time for both teams, and now we're seeing it go back to what it was (I hope).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Aug 18 7:37 pm

CollegeHockeyAddict wrote:
Sun Aug 18 6:54 pm
A really good 4 game road sweep (which doesn't happen that often) to go back up 2.5 games (3 in the loss column).

At 76-48 the Twins are currently on pace for 99 wins. We all had that predicted for this season right? :wink:

Going 23-15 (current season pace) over the last 38 games seems reasonable when 26 of the games are against the Tigers (10 games), White Sox (9 games), and Royals (7 games).

I agree they have had some bad points the past two months but the players are having a very good season. I wish ownership would have been willing to take on payroll at the trade deadline to make a splash pitching move to give them a better chance in the playoffs against the Astros and Yankees. In my opinion this was a season to go for it since the hitters are averaging almost 6 runs a games (5.82).

Does anybody really think they will have a better offense/chance in future years? When you are a smaller market team unfortunately you get a lot less chances to have great seasons so in my opinion when you do you should go for it.
I don't think ownerships unwillingness to add payroll had anything to do with them not adding a SP at the deadline.
The asking price for SPs at the deadline was very high (except for Toronto who sold Stroman before the deadline for a ridiculously low return which made no sense to me). Front office decided it wasn't worth it. The Mets took Syndergaard off the market. The Giants took MadBum off the market essentially by getting back into the playoff race after a hot streak. There weren't many other good SPs that were moved. Houston gave up 4 very high level prospects to get Greinke. He's really the only SP that got moved that made me say "wow that's a boost". Tanner Roark? No thanks.

They added probably the two best relievers at the deadline (or at least the most effective ones to this point since Dyson got it figured out).

Unfortunately all the teams that everyone expected to be sellers at the middle of June got hot a couple weeks before the deadline and decided they didn't want to sell.

FWIW, the endless money Yankees were in desperate need of pitching help too. They didn't add anything. It wasn't because they were too cheap to pay for pitching help.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by F Da Sue » Sun Aug 18 7:58 pm

Golden FE Ranger wrote:
Sun Aug 18 11:36 am
Kelor wrote:
Sat Aug 17 11:03 pm
Beauner wrote:
gopherguy13 wrote:
The way they were moving, nobody seemed to enthusiastic about getting there or exercise. The two bullpens could have met in the middle and saved some time.
Looked like the Texas bullpen got to the scrum a lot sooner than the the Twins pen. Chalk up another thing the Twins bullpen is miserable at doing.

CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Sun Aug 18 8:00 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Aug 18 7:37 pm

I don't think ownerships unwillingness to add payroll had anything to do with them not adding a SP at the deadline.
The asking price for SPs at the deadline was very high (except for Toronto who sold Stroman before the deadline for a ridiculously low return which made no sense to me). Front office decided it wasn't worth it. The Mets took Syndergaard off the market. The Giants took MadBum off the market essentially by getting back into the playoff race after a hot streak. There weren't many other good SPs that were moved. Houston gave up 4 very high level prospects to get Greinke. He's really the only SP that got moved that made me say "wow that's a boost". Tanner Roark? No thanks.

They added probably the two best relievers at the deadline (or at least the most effective ones to this point since Dyson got it figured out).

Unfortunately all the teams that everyone expected to be sellers at the middle of June got hot a couple weeks before the deadline and decided they didn't want to sell.

FWIW, the endless money Yankees were in desperate need of pitching help too. They didn't add anything. It wasn't because they were too cheap to pay for pitching help.
None of us fully know what options are available. The Twins won 6 division titles from 2002-2010 and never made a big move at the trade deadline (this year is another missed opportunity at the trade deadline). I no longer give them the benefit of the doubt. If others do that's fine. :)

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Aug 18 8:13 pm

I’ll be waiting with baited breath come Dec/Jan free agency period. I am sure the Twins will induce shock and awe this off-season with pitching to finally put them over the top.

:lol:

CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Sun Aug 18 8:14 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Aug 18 7:33 pm
Every team goes through a slump. And every team goes through a surge. The MN/CLE arcs happened to cross at the exact best/worst time for both teams, and now we're seeing it go back to what it was (I hope).
Plus the Twins schedule during that period what A LOT more difficult. Don't get me wrong Cleveland played better than the Twins during the stretch they made up the ground but the difference is schedules played a part too. Now the Twins have the opportunity to win the division playing the Tigers, White Sox and Royals 26 of the last 38 games of the season. Cleveland only has 16 games left against those teams.

CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Sun Aug 18 8:19 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Aug 18 8:13 pm
I’ll be waiting with baited breath come Dec/Jan free agency period. I am sure the Twins will induce shock and awe this off-season with pitching to finally put them over the top.

:dup: It will be because they didn't want to give up prospects. Oh wait you can sign free agents without giving up prospects. Somebody should tell the Twins this. :D Yes I know they've signed some free agent pitchers recently but when do they ever make a splash signing (or move)? They always shop at the discount table.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Aug 18 8:25 pm

Sun Aug 18 8:00 pm
Beauner wrote:

None of us fully know what options are available. The Twins won 6 division titles from 2002-2010 and never made a big move at the trade deadline (this year is another missed opportunity at the trade deadline). I no longer give them the benefit of the doubt. If others do that's fine. :)
If believe this coaching staff and front office is handling things the same way as the ones in charge from 2002-2010 then there's really no point in arguing with you.

CollegeHockeyAddict
Veteran

Post by CollegeHockeyAddict » Sun Aug 18 8:34 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Aug 18 8:25 pm
Beauner wrote:

If believe this coaching staff and front office is handling things the same way as the ones in charge from 2002-2010 then there's really no point in arguing with you.
The issue isn't the coaching staff or the GM it's the ownership. The GM can only work with the budget given to him and that is why the Twins always shop at the discount table.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Aug 18 9:32 pm

Sun Aug 18 8:34 pm
Beauner wrote:
Sun Aug 18 8:25 pm
Beauner wrote:

The issue isn't the coaching staff or the GM it's the ownership. The GM can only work with the budget given to him and that is why the Twins always shop at the discount table.
EXACTLY...based on this ownerships proven history the past 28 years...they’ve far from earned the benefit of the doubt from MN Twins fans & rubes...

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Sun Aug 18 11:42 pm

Fun Fact: The “ Discount Table “ won again today, is in first place, and is looking a hell of the teams some here would like to emulate. 😂

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Aug 19 9:01 am

Thirty-Four wrote:
Sun Aug 18 11:42 pm
Fun Fact: The “ Discount Table “ won again today, is in first place, and is looking a hell of the teams some here would like to emulate. 😂
You sound like Penn State hockey coaches.

Let's see how this works out against playoff teams in October.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Aug 19 9:12 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Aug 18 8:13 pm

I'm sure we will hear how this is the year when Kyle Gibson will take it to the next level.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Composer » Mon Aug 19 9:52 am

I was looking through the comments on the Cleveland Plain Dealer. They have a lot of angst, just like some of the people here. One interesting post:
temp.jpg
Cleveland clearly has cleaned up vs < .500 teams. The Twins need to do the same, now.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Mon Aug 19 12:28 pm

Composer wrote:
Mon Aug 19 9:52 am
I was looking through the comments on the Cleveland Plain Dealer. They have a lot of angst, just like some of the people here. One interesting post:
temp.jpg
Cleveland clearly has cleaned up vs < .500 teams. The Twins need to do the same, now.
I'd have angst too if I was a Cleveland fan watching the Twins pulling away.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Aug 19 2:00 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Aug 19 9:01 am
Thirty-Four wrote:

I sound like a realist.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Aug 19 2:21 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Mon Aug 19 2:00 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Aug 19 9:01 am
Thirty-Four wrote:

I sound like a realist.
Yes. you do sound like a realist...by simply accepting (as fact) ithat the Pohlads will always refuse to spend money 💰 to their “true” capabilities in order to produce a Championship team 👍

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Aug 19 4:50 pm

Cruz activated. Littell sent down

Also, Kepler not in the lineup today. Hope they are being safe after yesterday for an extra day off.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Mon Aug 19 7:44 pm

Of all the color commentator guys on the TV games I enjoy smalley the most...I know he annoys a lot of people with all the "big end of the bat" stuff...seems like they are auditioning guys for when Bert steps away...he's knowledgeable, was a really good player, homerish but not over the top with it...