Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 95 times

Re: Minnesota Twins 2014-2020: Here's Your Damn Thread

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 05 9:21 pm

Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 05 9:05 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 05 7:48 pm
Craig Kimbrel to the Cubs sounds like a done deal. Damn.
Twins offered two years, Cubs were willing to give him a third year. Like I've said, I'm fine passing on Kimbrel. He wasn't good in the playoffs and is coming in late.

Deliver the knockout punch to Cleveland here and see if you can get Brad Hand in a couple weeks.
The Twins went after him, but it seems like we're doing fairly well without him. *shrug*
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 05 10:35 pm

Dammit, Kepler. I get it, he thinks they'll throw home with Sano being the lead runner. But still. Dammit, Kepler.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 05 10:42 pm

Well, we finally gave up the lead. Can we start pitching again?

Edit: No. 8-7 tribe now.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Laxref » Wed Jun 05 10:50 pm

This team is a pretender w this staff, lineup is good enough to win the ship, Falvine have their work cut out for them to add some sort of effective arms.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 05 11:06 pm

WTF was that, Duffey?

9-7. Lindor, of course.
Last edited by Karlsson on Wed Jun 05 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 05 11:07 pm

Nice gesture by the Indians to give free baseballs to every fan that stuck around after the rain delay.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jun 05 11:21 pm

Sure would be nice to have a Brad Hand in the pen.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Handyman » Wed Jun 05 11:29 pm

Laxref wrote:
Wed Jun 05 10:50 pm
This team is a pretender w this staff, lineup is good enough to win the ship, Falvine have their work cut out for them to add some sort of effective arms.
I think it is a bit of an overreaction to say they are a pretender. They have issues, but in reality who doesnt. Pitching isnt lighting the league on fire anywhere in the League for various reasons.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jun 05 11:50 pm

The staff choked pretty badly tonight, choking away an early 5-1 lead. Pretty ugly loss, given they put up 7 runs and lead for most of the game.

Would have been nice to go into Cleveland with a swagger and take care of business. Now, they can only hope to salvage a win.

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Superstar » Thu Jun 06 9:56 am

New security policies at Target Field starting next week. The one that has me wondering about the most is the "one compartment bag". 99.99% of the bags people bring in have at least a small zippered compartment or something. Is that not allowed now?

But, you won't have to completely empty your pockets. But unless the metal detectors are desensitized (is that the correct word), they're gonna go off with everyone and it's gonna make the entry process even slower. Just not seeing how this is gonna help much.

Although...they are starting "Clear" for stadiums. It's what they have at airports, where you can enter through security much more quickly. And it's free to sign up. You can be sure I signed up right away!

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jun 06 10:09 am

I have had Clear for a year...it rocks and is worth it when it isnt free anymore if you travel at all.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Jun 06 10:56 am

The bullpen is $h!t. They've had a good ERA this year...working in tons of low stress situations. They crack when the pressure is on. Need 2 or 3 new bullpen arms to be true title contenders.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 11:13 am

Superstar wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:56 am
New security policies at Target Field starting next week. The one that has me wondering about the most is the "one compartment bag". 99.99% of the bags people bring in have at least a small zippered compartment or something. Is that not allowed now?

But, you won't have to completely empty your pockets. But unless the metal detectors are desensitized (is that the correct word), they're gonna go off with everyone and it's gonna make the entry process even slower. Just not seeing how this is gonna help much.

Although...they are starting "Clear" for stadiums. It's what they have at airports, where you can enter through security much more quickly. And it's free to sign up. You can be sure I signed up right away!
The clear website says its $180/ year.....

What is free?

Edit- I figured it out. Clear is free for stadiums and $180 per year for airports.

The TSA Precheck line is still short enough that I don't think the $180 is worth it. But someday.....

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jun 06 12:44 pm

It depends when you fly...it saved me a ton last year a couple of times.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by JWG » Thu Jun 06 1:50 pm

Clear is very much helpful at high traffic times and at certain airports. It saved me once when parking was full at MSP and I had to seek out parking (yea yea, check before you go).

It has also made security at Atlanta airport bearable.
I'm glad the Twins have it now, nice to be able to use it for something more than the airport.

Surprised it's totally free for stadiums, kind of defeats the purpose of quicker entry and there is a cost to the program (staffing the kiosks, enrolling, etc.).
JWG
[This space for rent]

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 2:53 pm

So at the airport I get Clear is used solely to identify a person so they don't have to go through the TSA ID checking process. I don't believe there is a background check associated with Clear. And everyone who goes through the Clear line still is required to go through security (whether TSA precheck or normal security).

What is the benefit to having Clear at the stadiums? Now they know who is at the stadiums, but they don't know if I am any more of a threat than the person going through the normal security line.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jun 06 3:09 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 2:53 pm
So at the airport I get Clear is used solely to identify a person so they don't have to go through the TSA ID checking process. I don't believe there is a background check associated with Clear. And everyone who goes through the Clear line still is required to go through security (whether TSA precheck or normal security).

What is the benefit to having Clear at the stadiums? Now they know who is at the stadiums, but they don't know if I am any more of a threat than the person going through the normal security line.
No idea what it is for the stadiums...I wondered that when I saw it on the web site when I signed up 2 years ago.

The one issue I have with Clear is that it is only in a limited amount of airports. If I fly Sun Country (which admittedly I wont be doing much of anymore because their fees are garbage and their amenities suck) I cant use it cause it is only at the main terminal. If it expands to more airports it will be a godsend.

Last year going to Paaris we got to the terminal the normal amount of time early. The TSA Pre-Check line was very long. GF and I went to Clear (we hadnt set it up yet) and no joke 5 minutes later we are sitting at the gate. It took 2 minutes to do the fingerprint and eye scan then they walked us up to the TSA agent who gave us a once over and we went through the pre-check metal detector. (meaning no taking off shoes, no taking out laptops just drop your bag and walk through) It was awesome :)

As for the Twins we all knew the bullpen was the weak link so it isnt surprising they are having some issues right now. Personally I would move Smeltzer to the BP because I never see him being a long innings guy but I think he could be a good one time through the order type of reliever. They need to maker a deal for someone at some point though. With that said though I am not sure any team in the AL is without a major fault or two so it isnt like we risk falling off a cliff. We lost two games on the road the world isnt ending yet :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 3:51 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu Jun 06 3:09 pm
As for the Twins we all knew the bullpen was the weak link so it isnt surprising they are having some issues right now. Personally I would move Smeltzer to the BP because I never see him being a long innings guy but I think he could be a good one time through the order type of reliever. They need to maker a deal for someone at some point though. With that said though I am not sure any team in the AL is without a major fault or two so it isnt like we risk falling off a cliff. We lost two games on the road the world isnt ending yet :)
I thought the deal with Smeltzer is that he was a relief pitcher and was not successful, with Dodgers or Twins, so he asked to be given another chance at starting and that is when he blossomed.

Sounds like he's a worse relief pitcher than starter. And we should give the guy a chance since he's had exactly 2 Major League appearances and id very well against a strong Devil Rays team.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Vegasgopher » Thu Jun 06 5:38 pm

I'm completely ok they passed on kimbrel at 3 yrs/$43m...only time will tell if I'm wrong

However, they do need to improve the pitching staff before the deadline...of course to me the gold standard move was Houston picking up veralnder late and winning it all...not sure that's out there for us, yet...I see them standing pat until "sellers" start dumping arms. They have some value prospects that will fetch some pitchers

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Jun 06 5:54 pm

I wonder if Pineda or Perez would be decent from the bullpen, if they were to get a starter. Would be nice to see them go after a big name starter...Bumgarner or Sherzer?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 6:35 pm

Kepler has looked like such a dumbass at the plate the last couple of days and today head leads off with a tater.

Go figure.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Beauner » Thu Jun 06 6:50 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 6:35 pm
Kepler has looked like such a dumbass at the plate the last couple of days and today head leads off with a tater.

Go figure.
Just hit another one.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Jun 06 6:53 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Thu Jun 06 5:54 pm
I wonder if Pineda or Perez would be decent from the bullpen, if they were to get a starter. Would be nice to see them go after a big name starter...Bumgarner or Sherzer?
Texas used Perez out of the bullpen last year with some pretty good results. I could see Pineda being an effective relief pitcher with his fastball/slider combo. Especially if he adds the traditional 2-3mph that starters add when they get to the bullpen.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Thu Jun 06 7:02 pm

Then adding a 1st rate quality starter should be job #1...time to spend...not a rental...tough parameters I know

Greyeagle
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 06 8:05 pm

That change up was filthy!
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Jun 06 8:08 pm

Kepler, again.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jun 06 8:08 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Jun 06 6:50 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 6:35 pm

Go figure.
Just hit another one.
Tres bombes
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Jun 06 8:16 pm

God Bless America, for D-Day. Awkward for Max Kepler... :lol:

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jun 06 8:24 pm

Magill comes in, 4 pitch walk. Hold on to your butts.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jun 06 8:25 pm

I turned the game on late so maybe Berrios has like 135 pitches or something but why pull him after an error in the first at bat of the inning to bring in the bullpen that has sucked to say the least? I love Rocco but that just seemed like a weird move.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 8:30 pm

Because it’s weird to have a pitcher go more than 6 innings these days.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Jun 06 8:35 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 8:30 pm
Because it’s weird to have a pitcher go more than 6 innings these days.

May got out of the inning. Next time Rocco skip Mr. Magoo ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Thu Jun 06 8:48 pm

Sounds like Keuchel to Atlanta...
"I've made a career out of ugly goals" - Dino Ciccarelli
Slap Shot: They're [UND FANS] top notch.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jun 06 9:12 pm

The bullpen trying to make it interesting again I see.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 06 9:14 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:12 pm
The bullpen trying to make it interesting again I see.
Successfully making it interesting.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 9:15 pm

How much will the Twins overpay for mediocre pitching now?

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jun 06 9:22 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:15 pm
Twins? Overspend? Pitching?

:wink:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 06 9:24 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:22 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

Not dollars.....players.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Jun 06 9:29 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:24 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

Not dollars.....players.
Say goodbye to Kiriloff. Have to imagine that Lewis and Graterol are untouchable.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jun 06 9:30 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

FYP

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Jun 06 9:34 pm

I'm hopeful that Graterol will be ready to be a big arm in the bullpen in September. :beg:

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by F Da Sue » Fri Jun 07 12:45 am

Vegasgopher wrote:
Thu Jun 06 5:38 pm
I'm completely ok they passed on kimbrel at 3 yrs/$43m...only time will tell if I'm wrong

However, they do need to improve the pitching staff before the deadline...of course to me the gold standard move was Houston picking up veralnder late and winning it all...not sure that's out there for us, yet...I see them standing pat until "sellers" start dumping arms. They have some value prospects that will fetch some pitchers
We’ll never know but he’s a helluva pitcher.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 7:40 am

Handyman wrote:
Thu Jun 06 8:25 pm
I turned the game on late so maybe Berrios has like 135 pitches or something but why pull him after an error in the first at bat of the inning to bring in the bullpen that has sucked to say the least? I love Rocco but that just seemed like a weird move.
He was at/around 110 I believe.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 7:44 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:29 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 06 9:24 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

Not dollars.....players.
Say goodbye to Kiriloff. Have to imagine that Lewis and Graterol are untouchable.
They aren't trading Kiriloff for a rental. At this point he may be more untouchable than Lewis. Lewis has shown some warts in high A. Hitting .230/.292/.342 with like 60 Ks in 230 ABs.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 10:32 am

It is always so cute to see fans (not here but on Twitter) who act like the Twins didnt make a move to try and get the two FAs. All indications were they were doing what they could but the pitchers wanted quite a bit. I would have loved if they signed them but I am not under the delusion that the team didnt make an effort to try.

Someone said "take your opinion on whether the Twins should have signed Kimbrel, put it in a can and bury it in your yard and dig it up 3 years from now and see if you still have the same opinion.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Fri Jun 07 11:06 am

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:32 am
It is always so cute to see fans (not here but on Twitter) who act like the Twins didnt make a move to try and get the two FAs. All indications were they were doing what they could but the pitchers wanted quite a bit. I would have loved if they signed them but I am not under the delusion that the team didnt make an effort to try.

Someone said "take your opinion on whether the Twins should have signed Kimbrel, put it in a can and bury it in your yard and dig it up 3 years from now and see if you still have the same opinion.
Fans who listen to Dan Cole and believe his opinions fall into this category. Yes, it's a bit and I listened to him for many years but the callers to his show frighten me with their idiotic takes.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by JWG » Fri Jun 07 11:49 am

There's some fair questioning on the Kimbrel situation. The Cubs deal and Twins offer were far apart. So, either Twins didn't see the value the Cubs did or the Twins weren't really being competitive. Not sure which, but when that far apart fair to ask if we were really trying. They need to make something happen with pitching. You can't sell the farm on one guy, but at the same time you have to be in the game. There's a window this year, don't waste it.
JWG
[This space for rent]

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jun 07 12:07 pm

JWG wrote:
Fri Jun 07 11:49 am
There's some fair questioning on the Kimbrel situation. The Cubs deal and Twins offer were far apart. So, either Twins didn't see the value the Cubs did or the Twins weren't really being competitive. Not sure which, but when that far apart fair to ask if we were really trying. They need to make something happen with pitching. You can't sell the farm on one guy, but at the same time you have to be in the game. There's a window this year, don't waste it.
The Twins will always be a 2nd tier team when it comes to signing free agents. They are NEVER going to outbid the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers for s free agent on amount (or term). And there’s always a bogus excuse following whenever they come up “just” short. Not saying they should have signed either of these guys. Just saying the PPP culture is ingrained into the organization. And priority wise...it’s numero uno.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 12:21 pm

JWG wrote:
The Cubs can afford to blow that kind of coin...plus their division is way better they Need to take that chance. If he underperforms the Cubs can deal with it the Twins can't.

Sorry I am glad they didn't get held hostage by either guy. If they had and the player stunk the whining by the faithful would be ridiculous.

The Twins are in no danger...make a deal later don't shoot your wad now.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jun 07 2:22 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 12:21 pm
JWG wrote:
The Cubs can afford to blow that kind of coin...plus their division is way better they Need to take that chance. If he underperforms the Cubs can deal with it the Twins can't.

Sorry I am glad they didn't get held hostage by either guy. If they had and the player stunk the whining by the faithful would be ridiculous.

They may find themselves with the leftovers, which may not be an improvement. They still have the money from the Mauer contract to spend, no? So go out and spend the dough.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 3:10 pm

They offered Kimbrel a good chunk of of change. Kimbrel wanted more years. The Twins didn't want to get tied up in a contract with a guy who hasn't been an effective post-season reliever for a long term deal at a high cost, especially as he gets older and loses velocity and spin rate.

I'd have absolutely taken him on the team, but I'm not going to act like it's the end of the world or SAME OLD POHLAD POCKET PROTECTION!!! type scenario that Kimbrel signed elsewhere.

There are about 12 teams contending for the playoffs this year currently. There will be plenty of teams selling off quality relievers for mid-tier prospects in the next month and a half. Guys with team control or cheaper contracts. Guys who have been playing games that matter since March and aren't coming in (relatively speaking) cold in the middle of the season.

Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Vegasgopher » Fri Jun 07 3:43 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 3:10 pm
They offered Kimbrel a good chunk of of change. Kimbrel wanted more years. The Twins didn't want to get tied up in a contract with a guy who hasn't been an effective post-season reliever for a long term deal at a high cost, especially as he gets older and loses velocity and spin rate.

I'd have absolutely taken him on the team, but I'm not going to act like it's the end of the world or SAME OLD POHLAD POCKET PROTECTION!!! type scenario that Kimbrel signed elsewhere.

There are about 12 teams contending for the playoffs this year currently. There will be plenty of teams selling off quality relievers for mid-tier prospects in the next month and a half. Guys with team control or cheaper contracts. Guys who have been playing games that matter since March and aren't coming in (relatively speaking) cold in the middle of the season.
:dup:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 5:47 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jun 07 2:22 pm
Handyman wrote:
JWG wrote:

They may find themselves with the leftovers, which may not be an improvement. They still have the money from the Mauer contract to spend, no? So go out and spend the dough.
They tried, he said no. You want them to just keep throwing money at him til he says yes because that is just downright stupid.

No one is saying they shouldnt spend money...but they should be smart about it while they do it.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 7:28 pm

I'm so glad Gardy isn't the manager of the Twins anymore.

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by sunbone » Fri Jun 07 7:59 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 7:28 pm
I’m so glad Molitor isn’t the manager of the Twins anymore.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 9:26 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 07 5:47 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
JWG wrote:

They tried, he said no. You want them to just keep throwing money at him til he says yes because that is just downright stupid.

No one is saying they shouldnt spend money...but they should be smart about it while they do it.
This. Hey, take a look at that, we're still one of the best teams in baseball. Huh.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jun 07 9:36 pm

*exhales*

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jun 07 9:45 pm

Handyman wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
JWG wrote:

It’s hard to say you really tried when you give an offer that has no chance of being accepted. I don’t know what they offered, but the story line is so familiar I find it curious and I don’t buy it.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 07 9:45 pm

We are really good at pretending ;)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jun 07 9:45 pm

I don't think Parker can be trusted at all at this point.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 9:50 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:45 pm
Handyman wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
JWG wrote:

It’s hard to say you really tried when you give an offer that has no chance of being accepted. I don’t know what they offered, but the story line is so familiar I find it curious and I don’t buy it.
I heard they offered what he wanted, but then Cubs offered extra year/money. Kinda tough to beat that.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jun 07 9:52 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:50 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
JWG wrote:

I heard they offered what he wanted, but then Cubs offered extra year/money. Kinda tough to beat that.
It certainly is when you’re up against the salary cap 😉

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 9:54 pm

No, it's cost/risk. Don't overpay. I mentioned earlier the Barry Bonds Day. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jun 07 9:57 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:54 pm
Bobby Bonilla day, isn't it?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 9:58 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:57 pm
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 9:54 pm
Bobby Bonilla day, isn't it?
My bad, yes. I shall spend 2 minutes in the box and feel shame.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 10:06 pm

sunbone wrote:
Fri Jun 07 7:59 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 7:28 pm
I’m so glad Molitor isn’t the manager of the Twins anymore.
Him too. But at least Molitor didn't decide he wanted to get ejected for arguing a call that could not have been more accurate. Boyd balked 5 times in the first three innings. First base ump was apparently not paying attention. So the plate ump decided he was going to finally call it (well within his rights).

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 10:12 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Handyman wrote:
JWG wrote:

Define "no chance of being accepted" then.
They offered the money he wanted (allegedly). Then Chicago offered the money he wanted and added another year with that money. It's not like the Twins offered him 1 year, 2.5 million. 🙄

Do you think the Braves went into talks with Kuechel saying "Hey if we give him 1yr/13mil he's for sure going to sign!!!" when he was allegedly seeking over 100 million this off-season? No. On paper, that is an offer that had no chance of being accepted. But they managed to get him to agree to it (a poor choice for Kuechel, IMHO).

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jun 07 10:13 pm

Doesn't matter how much the Mets have to pay Bonilla, or how long they have to pay him. There. Is. No. Salary. Cap.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 10:15 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:13 pm
Doesn't matter how much the Mets have to pay Bonilla, or how long they have to pay him. There. Is. No. Salary. Cap.
No sh* Sherlock. You wanna give Gibson 5 yrs/150MM?

Yeah, not gonna give Kimbrel/Keuchel that extra year for (x)MM either. Not worth it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 10:34 pm

You can say "there is no salary cap" all you want but the Twins aren't going to match Boston or NY or LA in salary. Ever.

Ever.

If the option is sign Kimbrel to a 4 year 55 million dollar deal and then lose Buxton or Rosario because they both want a bigger term/extension and you can't afford both with Berrios, Sano, Garver, Polanco, Kepler, etc. is that really worth pissing on your future for? For a guy to throw 65 innings a year?

No. It isn't. Especially when you can add a cheaper, team controlled contract for a mid-tier prospect (or even a higher-tier prospect). I love Kimbrel, he's one of my favorite guys to watch, but it's not even a hard decision if that is the long term choice.

The Twins farm system is really really good, one of the 8-10 best in baseball. Part of the benefits of selling off assets at the deadline is being able to flip the pieces you got to acquire assets when you're contending.

It's literally the exact blueprint that Houston started a decade ago. They overhauled everything, they bottomed out, they drafted wisely, then sold off assets to continue to build their farm system. Then all of a sudden they put things together. They had assets to trade for Verlander. Then they acquire Gerrit Cole too. They trade for Pressley. And guess what!? Even after making all those trades and moving prospects for viable assets, they still have a farm system ranked on the top 5 in baseball! Amazing how that works, isn't it? They made one "big" FA addition when they signed Brantley for 16 million a year (about 1.5 million more than Cruz got). They lost 2/5ths of their rotation last year and Marwin Gonzalez. And are still one of the 2-3 best teams on the planet.

That's what the Twins are building right now.
So chill out and enjoy watching a super fun team.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jun 07 10:51 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:34 pm
You can say "there is no salary cap" all you want but the Twins aren't going to match Boston or NY or LA in salary. Ever.

Ever.

If the option is sign Kimbrel to a 4 year 55 million dollar deal and then lose Buxton or Rosario because they both want a bigger term/extension and you can't afford both with Berrios, Sano, Garver, Polanco, Kepler, etc. is that really worth pissing on your future for? For a guy to throw 65 innings a year?

No. It isn't. Especially when you can add a cheaper, team controlled contract for a mid-tier prospect (or even a higher-tier prospect). I love Kimbrel, he's one of my favorite guys to watch, but it's not even a hard decision if that is the long term choice.

The Twins farm system is really really good, one of the 8-10 best in baseball. Part of the benefits of selling off assets at the deadline is being able to flip the pieces you got to acquire assets when you're contending.

It's literally the exact blueprint that Houston started a decade ago. They overhauled everything, they bottomed out, they drafted wisely, then sold off assets to continue to build their farm system. Then all of a sudden they put things together. They had assets to trade for Verlander. Then they acquire Gerrit Cole too. They trade for Pressley. And guess what!? Even after making all those trades and moving prospects for viable assets, they still have a farm system ranked on the top 5 in baseball! Amazing how that works, isn't it? They made one "big" FA addition when they signed Brantley for 16 million a year (about 1.5 million more than Cruz got). They lost 2/5ths of their rotation last year and Marwin Gonzalez. And are still one of the 2-3 best teams on the planet.

But the contract Kimbrel signed wasn't outrageous, or over priced...so this argument doesn't work for me.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jun 07 10:53 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:15 pm
Jane Fonda wrote:

Yeah, not gonna give Kimbrel/Keuchel that extra year for (x)MM either. Not worth it.
Yeah, that 3rd year for Kimbrel, or a 1 year deal for Keuchel really is comparable to 30 mil a year for 5 years.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jun 07 11:02 pm

The last first tier big time free agent the Twins signed was...Jack Morris in 1991. By no coincidence, they won the World Series. They weren’t signing Kimbrel or Keuchel, despite leaked media reports that they were “really trying”. It’s not in their DNA as an organization. But they are having a great year to this point & with a little luck might even win a playoff series this season, which they haven’t done since a certain catcher flipped his bat after hitting a dinger against the A’s what, 17 years ago? Beats the crap out of losing 90 games every season.
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Fri Jun 07 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 07 11:05 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:53 pm
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:15 pm
Jane Fonda wrote:

Yeah, that 3rd year for Kimbrel, or a 1 year deal for Keuchel really is comparable to 30 mil a year for 5 years.
Just sayin' to prove a point. Don't overpay.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 07 11:05 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:51 pm
Beauner wrote:
Fri Jun 07 10:34 pm

Ever.

But the contract Kimbrel signed wasn't outrageous, or over priced...so this argument doesn't work for me.
There was apparently only one team willing to go with that length and amount (he's basically getting $18mil/year when you prorate it out to how much he's going to pitch this year) so maybe it was more "outrageous" than you think. 🤷‍♂️

If the Twins wanted to secure Kimbrel they would have had to outbid Chicago, which would have been more money or more years. That's how free agency works. Bidding wars lead to overpayment.