Youth Hockey

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Youth Hockey

Post by J22 » Sat Dec 08 1:03 pm

Why would you ever have two A teams?

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Orion » Sat Dec 08 1:48 pm

J22 wrote:
Sat Dec 08 1:03 pm
Take OMG for example. At one point their A team hadn't list a game in over two years. If you have enough kids that play at an A level you should have two teams.

A better question is why some associations still have A teams.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Dec 08 1:55 pm

Maize wrote:
Sat Dec 08 12:58 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Dec 08 12:26 pm
Blaine has one too but the 5th grade class is actually very small so I think it’s appropriate. Maybe Chaska Chanhassen is the same?
I thought it was a District 10 rule that associations could only have one 'A' team. The handbook isn't overly clear, except to say you can't have two teams at a level unless you offer a team at a higher level, which obviously you couldn't do with As.
I was not aware of that. I wonder why they do that. You’d think of an association had enough kids to compete at the A level it would be best for everyone. Having A kids playing at the B level isn’t good for the legitimate B teams.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Dec 08 1:58 pm

Orion wrote:
Sat Dec 08 1:48 pm
J22 wrote:
Take OMG for example. At one point their A team hadn't list a game in over two years. If you have enough kids that play at an A level you should have two teams.

I don’t understand your question. Should associations only play B? There is no AA level for squirts.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 217 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Dec 08 2:32 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Dec 08 1:58 pm
Orion wrote:
J22 wrote:

I don’t understand your question. Should associations only play B? There is no AA level for squirts.
When I was coaching baseball there were some associations that didn't have A teams (AAA, technically) because they were not going to be good enough to compete so they just had B (AA) as their highest level. Even at B they were pretty mediocre.
Does hockey do something similar?
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Dec 08 2:37 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Dec 08 2:32 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Orion wrote:
J22 wrote:

When I was coaching baseball there were some associations that didn't have A teams (AAA, technically) because they were not going to be good enough to compete so they just had B (AA) as their highest level. Even at B they were pretty mediocre.
Does hockey do something similar?
Yes. The smaller cities often go without and A team (squirts) or a AA team at the peewee or bantam level.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Sat Dec 08 2:50 pm

Orion wrote:
J22 wrote:

If an association can actually pull that off, then that's great for them and very commendable. But, I personally would be against it. Your best team is supposed to be your best team.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sat Dec 08 6:19 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Orion wrote:
J22 wrote:

My point was that kids should pay at their skill level. Some smaller associations that have A teams get killed and only win one or two games a season. If any team loses or wins all but one or two games I don't think they are collectively on the right level.

A good example is Hopkins. I've heard that this year they had a big argument internally about if there Peewee team should be A or B1. When you have a pool of 30 kids to choose two teams there is no way you have the same team as a Wayzata that had 100+ kids

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Dec 08 9:01 pm

True, but Wayzata would also have a AA team. Sometimes it really depends on the talent. They might have a small group with several really good kids, they might compete at the A level.

Wayzata has 100+ peewees?

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Armadillo » Sat Dec 08 9:12 pm

Our U10B1 team has been playing an awful lot of "B" teams that just so happen to have many players who played at "A" level last year. It's kind of frustrating to have your girls go out and get their doors blown off by some of those squads.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Sat Dec 08 9:40 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Dec 08 9:01 pm
True, but Wayzata would also have a AA team. Sometimes it really depends on the talent. They might have a small group with several really good kids, they might compete at the A level.

True at the Peewee and bantam level they have AA. There is no AA at squirts. Wayzata has 9 peewee teams. Give or take that's 125 kids.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Dec 08 10:54 pm

I would assume how many high schools that yourh program has to feed as well. I would think a youth program like Chaska Chanhassen would want 2 A teams if competitive enough because eventually they will feed into 2 different HS teams. West Fargo went down to 1 A team last year and took a lot of heat for it as they feed 2 high schools, this year they have 2 A teams and are holding their own. Moorhead has 2 A teams this year too. In fact, we lost our first game of the season tonight to one of their teams, 3-2.

But I guess if it is a rule somewhere that you only have 1 best team vs 2 equally best teams then so be it.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Dec 09 5:30 am

That makes sense. i believe the city of Rochester has one youth hockey program that’s splits into four high schools. I am curious how they handle it.

Duluth has to be similar.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Dec 10 12:04 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Dec 09 5:30 am
That makes sense. i believe the city of Rochester has one youth hockey program that’s splits into four high schools. I am curious how they handle it.

Duluth has to be similar.
Rochester has a AA Squirt team and an A Squirt team. Duluth doesn't travel at the Squirt level. The break their teams by neighborhood and play in-house. At the PW level, their teams are broken up by high school team area.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Dec 10 12:59 pm

Who does Rochester play at AA squirt level? I don’t know if any. District 10 has A only.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Dec 10 1:16 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Dec 10 12:59 pm
Who does Rochester play at AA squirt level? I don’t know if any. District 10 has A only.
That is what their website said. Looking at rankings on YHH, they have a red and black team. Guessing it is similar to Moorhead where they have an A1 team and then an A2 team.
Doug Woog - 1990

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Dec 10 1:48 pm

Orion wrote:
Sat Dec 08 9:40 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

True at the Peewee and bantam level they have AA. There is no AA at squirts. Wayzata has 9 peewee teams. Give or take that's 125 kids.
I heard Wayzata has 170 squirts this year too.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Dec 10 2:51 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Mon Dec 10 1:48 pm
Orion wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

They have 11 teams on their site and only 1 A team, but they lost to OMG who has 2 teams so who the hell really knows what the correct formula is with 10/11 year olds.
Doug Woog - 1990

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Dec 10 3:39 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Dec 10 2:51 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Mon Dec 10 1:48 pm
Orion wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

They have 11 teams on their site and only 1 A team, but they lost to OMG who has 2 teams so who the hell really knows what the correct formula is with 10/11 year olds.
From the YHH updates I see, it looks like OMG is hanging with Edina lately in tournament championships. So that might just be a testament to the OMG program lately.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Mon Dec 10 5:26 pm

I think part of the answer is to have AA at the squirt level.

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by skiier32 » Tue Dec 11 9:05 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Thu Dec 06 3:19 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Dec 06 3:04 pm
I believe those are supposed to count as games.
It's my understanding that "controlled scrimmages" (defined as at least 1 coach on the ice for each team, score is not kept, and no game clock is used) are not counted towards the 35 games, as they are considered a practice.

skiier32 wrote:
Thu Dec 06 2:44 pm
The 35 games rules sucks. Liked it a whole lot more when it was 35 game days, because if you get into a tourney some are 4-5 games depending on how you play. That means a whole lot more planning on the coaching and managers to make sure you do not go over the limit. District 8 will fine associations for going over and not allow you to play in the district playoffs. Hence, my sons squirt team has had a lot of coach controlled scrimmages that will not count as a game.
My daughter's team is also in District 8. We opted out of the District playoffs this year because the tournament falls during our Spring Break. We're not alone. I think all 4 Woodbury & Cottage Grove teams (which are located in the ISD 833 school district) opted out of the tournament. It's funny, because CG is hosting the tourney this year, and they won't even be there. I'm actually okay with opting out though, as it gave us an opportunity to use the games we would have spent there and use them towards a different tournament.
The district playoffs do not count towards the 35 game rule.

skiier32
Golden
Golden

Post by skiier32 » Tue Dec 11 9:12 am

J22 wrote:
Rosemount has 2 A Squirt teams and they are doing just fine.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Fri Dec 14 1:40 pm

So Jr. broke his wrist snowboarding recently and he's been an absolute pain to deal with since because he can't play hockey and has to miss a few games. They just shuffled the line combinations so he was interested to see how his new line was going to perform. The kid is 13 and this is his third broken bone. It's a buckle fracture which is good because it's not as serious. They didn't even cast his wrist saying he just needs to wear a splint for a few weeks. Overall that's good but now I'm starting to wish they did cast him because he is already pushing that he's feeling better so he wants to play. Doctor was very vague about when to let him return. With a cast there would be no doubt as he'd have to get it off before anything. I'd really like to avoid having to take him in for another X ray to get him checked out but there is likely no other way. He's got a tournament coming up in a couple weeks which is right in that grey area where he may be recovered enough but may still not be. We are taking the hard line and keeping him off the ice complete for a few weeks which is making him very difficult to handle. I really hope he sees the big picture here, but being a moody teenager who knows what he's thinking. I don't most of the time.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Dec 14 2:45 pm

Sounds like you're raising a hockey player.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Dec 14 4:17 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Fri Dec 14 1:40 pm
So Jr. broke his wrist snowboarding recently and he's been an absolute pain to deal with since because he can't play hockey and has to miss a few games. They just shuffled the line combinations so he was interested to see how his new line was going to perform. The kid is 13 and this is his third broken bone. It's a buckle fracture which is good because it's not as serious. They didn't even cast his wrist saying he just needs to wear a splint for a few weeks. Overall that's good but now I'm starting to wish they did cast him because he is already pushing that he's feeling better so he wants to play. Doctor was very vague about when to let him return. With a cast there would be no doubt as he'd have to get it off before anything. I'd really like to avoid having to take him in for another X ray to get him checked out but there is likely no other way. He's got a tournament coming up in a couple weeks which is right in that grey area where he may be recovered enough but may still not be. We are taking the hard line and keeping him off the ice complete for a few weeks which is making him very difficult to handle. I really hope he sees the big picture here, but being a moody teenager who knows what he's thinking. I don't most of the time.
We had a kid on our team last year play with his hand in a cast, against orders. He wore an adult sized glove. I couldn't believe it. Tournaments are hard on kids to miss.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Dec 14 4:24 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Dec 14 4:17 pm
Tiggsy wrote:
Fri Dec 14 1:40 pm
We had a kid on our team last year play with his hand in a cast, against orders. He wore an adult sized glove. I couldn't believe it. Tournaments are hard on kids to miss.
There is a kid on the other A team here that has a broken wrist and has been able to modify his glove slightly to make it work. He actually scored 2 goals in his first game with it because with the cast, he actually hits the net instead of shooting the puck over the net...
Doug Woog - 1990

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 25 7:39 pm

Could someone please explain why Hockey USA uses no-touch up off sides at Squirt and Peewee level?

I am just curious as to the logic behind it as it is painful to watch.

Potatopirate

Post by Potatopirate » Tue Dec 25 8:14 pm

Somebody asked that at a coaches clinic and they said it makes you be creative at the blueline instead of just dumping it in. Personally i think it takes the flow out of the game with unnecessary whistles. Painful is right.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Dec 26 6:54 am

Potatopirate wrote:
Tue Dec 25 8:14 pm
Somebody asked that at a coaches clinic and they said it makes you be creative at the blueline instead of just dumping it in. Personally i think it takes the flow out of the game with unnecessary whistles. Painful is right.
This is the explaination from USA Hockey as well. Same reason they eliminated being able to ice it while short-handed.

I will be honest, it was tough to get used to both rules last year in my first year coaching at that level, but the kids catch on pretty quickly, at least B level and above. There are few kids at that level that can ice it while short handed anyway so that never really matters much.

Like I said, it works better at the higher levels. D can move it to their partner and transition rather than just pounding it up the boards. Most offsides come from someone sinking around with the puck at the blue line anyway.
Doug Woog - 1990

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Dec 26 10:05 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Dec 26 6:54 am
Potatopirate wrote:
Tue Dec 25 8:14 pm
This is the explaination from USA Hockey as well. Same reason they eliminated being able to ice it while short-handed.

I will be honest, it was tough to get used to both rules last year in my first year coaching at that level, but the kids catch on pretty quickly, at least B level and above. There are few kids at that level that can ice it while short handed anyway so that never really matters much.

Like I said, it works better at the higher levels. D can move it to their partner and transition rather than just pounding it up the boards. Most offsides come from someone sinking around with the puck at the blue line anyway.
I totally agree with no touch up at the Squirt & PeeWee levels so kids are forced to learn how to re-group in the neutral zone rather than pounding the puck in like robots, by Bantam & HS, they should have learned it & then the benefit of keeping the flow going by touching up makes more sense☝️

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Thu Dec 27 12:24 am

So it does change in bantams to touch up off sides? Even my kid thinks it's painful and often punishes the wrong team.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Dec 27 2:13 am

Tiggsy wrote:
Thu Dec 27 12:24 am
So it does change in bantams to touch up off sides? Even my kid thinks it's painful and often punishes the wrong team.
Yes it does.
Doug Woog - 1990

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Thu Dec 27 12:54 pm

As long as I'm talking about the bantam transition, thought I'd ask this even though its still a little early.

What should kids do to help make the transition to bantam? Are there checking camps or anything like that which are recommended? I'm not sure I want my kid to go in blind the first day of clinics and take his first check there.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 357 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Dec 27 1:30 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Thu Dec 27 12:54 pm
As long as I'm talking about the bantam transition, thought I'd ask this even though its still a little early.

What should kids do to help make the transition to bantam? Are there checking camps or anything like that which are recommended? I'm not sure I want my kid to go in blind the first day of clinics and take his first check there.
Playing some bantam spring/summer hockey after final year of pee-wees is always a good option.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Dec 27 1:33 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Thu Dec 27 12:54 pm

They allow checking at the Peewee level of AAA hockey. If you can find a decent summer team, it would help.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Dec 27 3:27 pm

Checking really seems to being not as part of the game as it once was. There is body positions and “rub outs” taught in Squirts now so by the time they get to Bantams, body position is second nature and the need for a big check or even finishing your check doesn’t even happen.

But yeah, a AAA spring team would be a benefit.
Doug Woog - 1990

skiier32
Golden
Golden

Post by skiier32 » Thu Dec 27 3:46 pm

District 8 offers checking clinics at the end of the year, at least they did for us last season. Scott Macho, the SSP head coach leads it. You could always contact him too to come to one of your practices and lead the clinic.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Dec 31 10:36 am

Well, I guess my kid's wrist is okay. We went out this weekend and scored 8 goals in the tournament. Pretty impressive performance.

Also saw a 5th place team only lose one game due to all the tie breakers. Kind of sad for that team but 3 of the 4 teams in the pool finished 2-1 so it went down to the second tie breaker. Not quite as sad because my kid's team won the last game to flip the tie breaker in their favor to stay out of the 5th place game.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jan 01 8:05 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Mon Dec 31 10:36 am
Well, I guess my kid's wrist is okay. We went out this weekend and scored 8 goals in the tournament. Pretty impressive performance.

Also saw a 5th place team only lose one game due to all the tie breakers. Kind of sad for that team but 3 of the 4 teams in the pool finished 2-1 so it went down to the second tie breaker. Not quite as sad because my kid's team won the last game to flip the tie breaker in their favor to stay out of the 5th place game.
We took 5th place in a tournament earlier this and didn’t lose a game. Due to getting a point for each period you won and the way the Sunday brackets were set up, we took 5th.

Some of these point things they do in tournaments are dumb IMO. Another tournament we were in, a team was up 2-1 in the 3rd and needed 3 goals so they pull their goalie. The other team needed to at least tie to move on so they pulled their goalie, so the last 2 minutes of the game was played 6 on 6 with no goalies..
Doug Woog - 1990

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Tue Jan 01 8:37 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jan 01 8:05 pm
Tiggsy wrote:

We took 5th place in a tournament earlier this and didn’t lose a game. Due to getting a point for each period you won and the way the Sunday brackets were set up, we took 5th.

Some of these point things they do in tournaments are dumb IMO. Another tournament we were in, a team was up 2-1 in the 3rd and needed 3 goals so they pull their goalie. The other team needed to at least tie to move on so they pulled their goalie, so the last 2 minutes of the game was played 6 on 6 with no goalies..
If they didn't have all of the different types of tie-breakers, we would all bitch about having to play for 5th place because of a coin flip. There's only so many ways to hold a tournament with 10-12 teams and guarantee that everyone gets 3-4 games.

In the pulled goalie scenario above- there's nothing stopping a coach from doing the right thing and coaching the game correctly, even if it means missing out on the $4 trophy.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jan 02 8:17 am

J22 wrote:
Tue Jan 01 8:37 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tiggsy wrote:

If they didn't have all of the different types of tie-breakers, we would all bitch about having to play for 5th place because of a coin flip. There's only so many ways to hold a tournament with 10-12 teams and guarantee that everyone gets 3-4 games.

In the pulled goalie scenario above- there's nothing stopping a coach from doing the right thing and coaching the game correctly, even if it means missing out on the $4 trophy.
I don’t think anyone would complain about a coin flip if all tournaments were the same and you knew what to expect going into it. We have been in one where you get one point for each period you win and another one where you get 1 point for reach goal up to 3 goals. Just have them all be consistent and everyone will be fine.

Your right, there isn’t. Except with that logic, why play games and why put a score on the board at all until they are safely adults and then be best equipped at dealing with disappointment... :roll:
Doug Woog - 1990

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jan 02 8:45 am

J22 wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tiggsy wrote:

My kid's squirt team came across this decision last week. They've had a ton of close games recently and have lost all of them. They were put into a tournament pool with the top team in District 3 and the top team in District 2. All of the games were very close and they needed to win by 2 to win the 3-way tie breaker (they ended up losing another close one).

I asked the coach after the game if there was any thought about pulling the goalie in the scenario they were up by one goal late in the game. He said no. They were more worried about breaking the losing streak than getting in the Gold pool vs Bronze pool. Getting over the hump and gaining confidence back was most important.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Wed Jan 02 9:49 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jan 02 8:17 am
J22 wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tiggsy wrote:

I don’t think anyone would complain about a coin flip if all tournaments were the same and you knew what to expect going into it. We have been in one where you get one point for each period you win and another one where you get 1 point for reach goal up to 3 goals. Just have them all be consistent and everyone will be fine.

Your right, there isn’t. Except with that logic, why play games and why put a score on the board at all until they are safely adults and then be best equipped at dealing with disappointment... :roll:
The rules for a tournament are always laid out ahead of time. Complaining about using goals for as a tiebreaker, but then saying that you would be fine with a coin flip? Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

As for your last paragraph, we play games so that the kids can learn how to compete, how to handle winning, how to handle losing, how to work as a member of a team. And, maybe even to try and have a little fun. Winning should always be the objective, but if you're putting it far ahead of everything else above, then you're doing it wrong.

Riff Raff
Golden
Golden

Post by Riff Raff » Wed Jan 02 12:32 pm

Given the variety of tournament formats there is no way there could be any set of universal rules. As stated just so the rules are known ahead of time proper planning can take place. Sometimes quirky tie break rules can make for some excitement that normally would not exist (pulling a goalie with a lead or tie game for example) - which reminds me of the old total goal series playoffs the WCHA used to have - like it or not that structure made for some exciting hockey.

I have coached at youth multiple levels and always have coached tourneys different than regular league games or scrimmages and have always been up front with parents at the beginning of the season explaining my reasons. I do coach to win more when there is a trophy on the line - the main reason is because I believe it provides a good example to the kids that sometimes in life you have to do a little extra to achieve a goal. This could mean double shifting a few better kids in 3rd period of a close game, or having a specific power play or penalty kill units - both things I don't do in regular games. For the kids picked to be on the ice for those situations, it provides a high pressure situation for them to learn and to experience being "the guy". For those not chosen, it provides incentive to some day want to be "that guy". I'm comfortable doing this knowing I'm communicating to all players why the decisions are being made. It doesn't mean the kids not picked (and their parents) love not being "the guy", but again such is real life.
Last edited by Riff Raff on Thu Jan 03 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Wed Jan 02 1:30 pm

I think the funny thing about this tournament was how much time I had to spend explaining to the coaches the tie breakers. After the game I reassured them that they did flip the tie breaker and made it into the trophy round. I prefaced everything with "according to the rules the tournament did post on tie breakers..." So the rules are out there, its just that not everyone pays attention. Most of the time it doesn't come into play but every so often you get those oddball situations. Had one in lacrosse last spring where we had to win a game by 6. Came close but didn't quite pull it out and only won by 5, The other parents were getting upset that our team was still playing so hard up by that many late in the game.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Jan 07 2:01 pm

.2 seconds.

Tiggsy Jr.'s team pulled their goalie down by one. Coach send Jr. out as the extra skater and he scores the GTG with .2 seconds left. :dup:
Most exciting tie game I've ever seen. :lol:

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Jan 21 1:48 pm

Interesting how hockey is different in Wisconsin. First tournament in WI that I remember we've been in. WI only has 2 levels A/B and they don't seem to match up to the A/B in Minnesota. 8 team tournament had 4 Wisconsin A teams and 4 Minnesota B1 teams. They actually set it up so all 4 of the first round games were MN vs. WI teams. MN took home 3/4 of the trophies. Plus it was the first time in years that I can remember it was a traditional bracket and not pool play.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Jan 21 1:52 pm

Well ya cuz wisconsin sucks so to have a chance they probably put their A against our B.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Jan 21 3:37 pm

Just got back from my daughter's tournament in Duluth. Second year in a row it was -20 degrees in the morning. Also, I'm not a fan of the 1 game Friday, 1 Saturday, and 2 Sunday format. We had to check out of the hotel at 8am Sunday before going to our first game that day, so had nowhere to hang out (and dry out the gear) until our last game at 3:45. Teams that come from out of town want to go home on Sunday... not stick around until evening.

Other than that, it was a good time. Went inside Amsoil Arena for the first time, which was great. Also, Sill Arena (the Heritage Center) might be the nicest youth hockey arena in the state. What a gem.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jan 21 3:52 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Jan 21 3:37 pm
Just got back from my daughter's tournament in Duluth. Second year in a row it was -20 degrees in the morning. Also, I'm not a fan of the 1 game Friday, 1 Saturday, and 2 Sunday format. We had to check out of the hotel at 8am Sunday before going to our first game that day, so had nowhere to hang out (and dry out the gear) until our last game at 3:45. Teams that come from out of town want to go home on Sunday... not stick around until evening.

Other than that, it was a good time. Went inside Amsoil Arena for the first time, which was great. Also, Sill Arena (the Heritage Center) might be the nicest youth hockey arena in the state. What a gem.
You couldn't go back to the hotel for an hour or 2 after your first game? I know thats a pain, but we have done that before.

We were in Grand Forks this weekend for a tournament, played at 7pm Friday night, done by 7pm on Saturday and played the championship at 11:15am. I was home by 2:30pm which was great.

Last spring we played in the MN Meltdown tournament, we didn't get home until 10pm on Sunday night...just dumb. We are in the Squirtacular this weekend and the championship is at 3:30pm...we play at 8:15am on Saturday morning and if we don't win our pool, won't play again until noon on Sunday. This will probably be the only year we do this one. At least the Squirt International in Fargo, the last game is 12:45pm on Sundays and you play 2 games Friday, 2 games Saturday and 1-2 games on Sunday. Also, if you start before 10am, your 2nd game is done by 5pm so you don't have to waste the whole day waiting for your next game.

Yeah, I know I sound like I am bitching just to bitch...
Doug Woog - 1990

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jan 21 4:00 pm

HockeyBum wrote:

Sill is an awesome rink. Did you get a chance to play at Fryberger?

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by george » Mon Jan 21 4:07 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Mon Jan 21 1:48 pm
Interesting how hockey is different in Wisconsin. First tournament in WI that I remember we've been in. WI only has 2 levels A/B and they don't seem to match up to the A/B in Minnesota. 8 team tournament had 4 Wisconsin A teams and 4 Minnesota B1 teams. They actually set it up so all 4 of the first round games were MN vs. WI teams. MN took home 3/4 of the trophies. Plus it was the first time in years that I can remember it was a traditional bracket and not pool play.
Yeah, quite a few years back, but Jr's pw C team played in a Menomonie PW B tourney and won it. Ours was the only MN team in it.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jan 21 8:34 pm

My kid played in a big tourney this weekend at the Super Rink. Kids from squirts all the way to U18. Every level was A or AA (national or elite).

Our team was asked to play in it to get local teams. Almost all teams were from out of state (IL, CO, TX, CA, AZ, FL..). We were very hesitant as our team is a B1 team but finally relented.

Two teams at the squirt level were AA teams from IL and we ended up 2-1 vs those teams. Interesting that a B1 team from MN can play with a AA teams from IL and beat them without too much worry.

On a side note, the one loss was a complete $h!t show against a team from Chicago. The parents of the other team were drunk and yelling at the refs, us, and OUR KIDS. The opposing players were calling our kids MFers as they took cheap shots. Our kids were quite shell shocked. Good learning experience I guess.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by george » Mon Jan 21 9:30 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jan 21 8:34 pm
On a side note, the one loss was a complete $h!t show against a team from Chicago. The parents of the other team were drunk and yelling at the refs, us, and OUR KIDS. The opposing players were calling our kids MFers as they took cheap shots. Our kids were quite shell shocked. Good learning experience I guess.
Sounds like when my kid's teams played Burnsville, except our kids usually best Burnsville. :wink:

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Maize » Mon Jan 21 10:58 pm

Bertogliat wrote:

Two teams at the squirt level were AA teams from IL and we ended up 2-1 vs those teams. Interesting that a B1 team from MN can play with a AA teams from IL and beat them without too much worry.
AA hockey is Tier II elsewhere in the country, so sort of equivalent to B hockey here.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jan 22 6:12 am

Maize wrote:
Mon Jan 21 10:58 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

AA hockey is Tier II elsewhere in the country, so sort of equivalent to B hockey here.
So the A teams were equivalent to C teams? I can’t beleive people would drive from any of the coasts and pay $2500 to play in a C team tournament.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Jan 22 7:23 am

Probably more like B2 traveling in MN

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Jan 22 7:25 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jan 22 6:12 am
Maize wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

So the A teams were equivalent to C teams? I can’t beleive people would drive from any of the coasts and pay $2500 to play in a C team tournament.
They do though. Some don't realize the skill gap is so large. We had a kid fly in from DC one weekend for AAA because he was tearing it up out easy and wanted to see where he fit in MN. Our term was primarily B players and he was below average. Generally the income level of hockey parents in other places is much higher than in Minnesota. We meet parents from Phoenix and Dallas up in Fargo one year. Both spent $30k+ a year on hockey.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jan 22 9:27 am

Orion wrote:
Tue Jan 22 7:25 am
Generally the income level of hockey parents in other places is much higher than in Minnesota. We meet parents from Phoenix and Dallas up in Fargo one year. Both spent $30k+ a year on hockey.
Not just the warm areas, but I also hear from people from Colorado and whatnot that pay $5k to $10k just to get their kid on a team and that doesn’t cover ice time and travel, etc.

We are very fortunate where we all live that, relatively speaking, hockey is fairly cheap to play.
Doug Woog - 1990

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 14 times

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jan 22 9:41 am

J22 wrote:
Mon Jan 21 4:00 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Sill is an awesome rink. Did you get a chance to play at Fryberger?
We had a game at Fryberger last year. That was.... an experience. It was about 15-below that day, and not much warmer in the rink. Fortunately we managed to avoid Fryberger this year. :good2:

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Jan 22 10:10 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jan 22 9:27 am
Orion wrote:
Generally the income level of hockey parents in other places is much higher than in Minnesota. We meet parents from Phoenix and Dallas up in Fargo one year. Both spent $30k+ a year on hockey.
Not just the warm areas, but I also hear from people from Colorado and whatnot that pay $5k to $10k just to get their kid on a team and that doesn’t cover ice time and travel, etc.

We are very fortunate where we all live that, relatively speaking, hockey is fairly cheap to play.
My favorite memory of the Squirt Invitational in Fargo years back was related to this. We stayed in a hotel with the team from Phoenix. Their parents and kids were obnoxious and made sure everyone knew how much they spent and that they paid a former NHL player to be their coach. They were absolutely every stereotype of rich, entitled, and privileged you could imagine.

They happened to do pretty well in the tournament and made it to the championship bracket where they got to play Warroad. As the players started showing up from Warroad in mismatched clothing and rusty old cars the parents started joking about playing a charity team with donated equipment. (or something close to that) This was in contrast to them having a coach bus drop them off and everyone in new matching clothing and gear bags. As you can imagine not many people were pulling for them in that game. The arena was pretty full and EVERYONE was cheering for Warroad. It was a blast to see a bunch of rich spoiled brats get beat by a team they thought they would steam roll.

Oddly enough the parents and kids from Dallas were the complete opposite. Nicest people we met all tournament.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jan 22 12:10 pm

Orion wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jan 22 6:12 am
Maize wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

They do though. Some don't realize the skill gap is so large. We had a kid fly in from DC one weekend for AAA because he was tearing it up out easy and wanted to see where he fit in MN. Our term was primarily B players and he was below average. Generally the income level of hockey parents in other places is much higher than in Minnesota. We meet parents from Phoenix and Dallas up in Fargo one year. Both spent $30k+ a year on hockey.
That might explain why several kids from the other team were crying after they lost 5-1 to a B team from MN. They might not have imagined they could lose.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jan 22 1:25 pm

Orion wrote:
Tue Jan 22 10:10 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jan 22 9:27 am
Orion wrote:

My favorite memory of the Squirt Invitational in Fargo years back was related to this. We stayed in a hotel with the team from Phoenix. Their parents and kids were obnoxious and made sure everyone knew how much they spent and that they paid a former NHL player to be their coach. They were absolutely every stereotype of rich, entitled, and privileged you could imagine.

They happened to do pretty well in the tournament and made it to the championship bracket where they got to play Warroad. As the players started showing up from Warroad in mismatched clothing and rusty old cars the parents started joking about playing a charity team with donated equipment. (or something close to that) This was in contrast to them having a coach bus drop them off and everyone in new matching clothing and gear bags. As you can imagine not many people were pulling for them in that game. The arena was pretty full and EVERYONE was cheering for Warroad. It was a blast to see a bunch of rich spoiled brats get beat by a team they thought they would steam roll.

Oddly enough the parents and kids from Dallas were the complete opposite. Nicest people we met all tournament.
That's an interesting story. I have met people from all over working the tournament and coaching in it last year, all of them have been great...except a couple years back, a Dad from Edina pushing his way into the box so he could do the announcing for his son's team. I was working the penalty box so it didn't affect me, but he had to be asked to leave at several rinks over the weekend. 2 years ago it was in the 50s here during the tournament and a team from Arizona always looked forward to coming up here and skating outdoors and all the snow and ice was gone that year, they were really disappointed. They looked forward to skating outside more than the games.

I have gotten to watch a lot of neat matchups at the Squirt International over the years. Prior Lake vs Dallas Jr Stars in the A Champtionship, Moorhead vs Alaska in the B1 Championship, etc. Most everyone is very respectful and understand it is the experience and not the games that will be remembered for the rest of their lives.
Doug Woog - 1990

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Jan 22 5:05 pm

We also heard that the cops had to be called because the parents from two Canadian teams started fighting after a game.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 357 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jan 22 5:15 pm

This is an interesting read, and this seems like a good spot for it.

https://www.tsn.ca/column-love-worries- ... -1.1242009
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jan 22 10:17 pm

Orion wrote:
Tue Jan 22 5:05 pm
We also heard that the cops had to be called because the parents from two Canadian teams started fighting after a game.
The only one I recall this happening was at a Mite (7/8 year olds) tournament in West Fargo. This particular one happened the last year we had all 3 levels on one weekend and didn't happen the same weekend as the tournament...but I am sure it was talked about.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba ... -1.2595407
Doug Woog - 1990

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Wed Jan 23 7:40 am

That has to be the same story. I couldn't imagine that happening twice.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Feb 25 4:15 pm

Jr's Peewee B #10 seed surviving districts to snatch third place and moves on to regionals! Overtime win against the #4 seed after being down 4-0 in the middle of the second, and an overtime win against the #3 seed after being down 4-1. :dance:

...into a regional first round regional matchup with Stillwater that YHH ranks as the #2 team in the state. *gulp* :lol:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Mar 10 8:13 am

Today marks an important moment in every hockey parent’s life. The last mite game for my youngest child. The last half ice game.! The last game without keeping score. The last game of whack a mole, with no penalty.

We survived. Thank you to all who helped me get through these trying times!

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Mar 10 3:01 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Mar 10 8:13 am
Today marks an important moment in every hockey parent’s life. The last mite game for my youngest child. The last half ice game.! The last game without keeping score. The last game of whack a mole, with no penalty.

We survived. Thank you to all who helped me get through these trying times!
I remember going from termites to mites as well. It’s a big jump to squirts, but a fun one! Congrats and good luck!
Doug Woog - 1990

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Mar 10 3:38 pm

Stopped at my sister’s today and as I am in the bathroom I hear my sister ask my kid if he is going to play goalie next year and I only hear him say no and my sister ask him what he was going to be next year..

I fly out of the bathroom and ask him when the hell he was going to tell us because we had just got him his own gear for next year and my sister stops me and says “you obviously didn’t hear what he said next? He said he was going to be a brick wall!

Bout had a heart attack!
Doug Woog - 1990

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Wed Mar 20 10:58 am

Random general question.

Does it make you or kids feel better or worse to see the team that knocked them out of a tournament do well? The team that ended Jr's season in went on to win state. Does that make you feel better that you were beaten by the best, or upset because you want to see them punished by losing right away for taking you out? Heard both arguments and Jr. doesn't seem to sure.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Mar 20 11:04 am

Tiggsy wrote:
Wed Mar 20 10:58 am
Random general question.

Does it make you or kids feel better or worse to see the team that knocked them out of a tournament do well? The team that ended Jr's season in went on to win state. Does that make you feel better that you were beaten by the best, or upset because you want to see them punished by losing right away for taking you out? Heard both arguments and Jr. doesn't seem to sure.
If this helps, I hope Notre Dame falls flat on their faces.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Mar 20 11:23 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Mar 20 11:04 am
Tiggsy wrote:
Random general question.

If this helps, I hope Notre Dame falls flat on their faces.
Well, they still need to win another elimination game, JUST to make the NCAA field & I wouldn’t be surprised if PSU beats them.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Mar 20 11:24 am

Tiggsy wrote:
Random general question.

At least jr knows his team lost to a damn good team ☝️