Youth Hockey

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Youth Hockey

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Mar 20 10:31 pm

Tiggsy wrote:
Wed Mar 20 10:58 am
Random general question.

Does it make you or kids feel better or worse to see the team that knocked them out of a tournament do well? The team that ended Jr's season in went on to win state. Does that make you feel better that you were beaten by the best, or upset because you want to see them punished by losing right away for taking you out? Heard both arguments and Jr. doesn't seem to sure.
Man, it really depends. We lost to Hermantown in the Squirt International in the round of 16. They came out flying. We spent a lot of time talking before the game to their head coach, Jon Francisco and he was super nice and complimentary of getting to play in Fargo. After the game, he told us we were the best team they had played all year and they had the game of their season. I was pulling for them to win and they ran out of gas against Minnetonka in the round of 8.

Now, we played Chaska-Chanhassen in 2 tournaments this year (Monticello and Squirtacular) and tied them in Monticello and lost 2-1 in the Squirtacular. They went on to win both tournaments. Their team and coaches were fine, but their parents were asses. I loved how they fell apart the end of the season.

Long answer I know, it just depends. I would say for the most part, I would want to see the team that beat us do well because then you know you losing to them wasn't a fluke.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Orion » Fri Mar 22 4:49 pm

How does MN determine which Jr gold A team to send to the national high school tournament? Edina won the regular season but lost to Minnetonka in the state tournament. I thought it would be the tournament wonder but Edina is going this year.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Fri Mar 22 8:28 pm

Orion wrote:
Fri Mar 22 4:49 pm
How does MN determine which Jr gold A team to send to the national high school tournament? Edina won the regular season but lost to Minnetonka in the state tournament. I thought it would be the tournament wonder but Edina is going this year.
I think the invitations go out before the State tournament. Edina accepted then lost to Tonka in OT of State finals.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Fri Mar 22 8:39 pm

george wrote:
Fri Mar 22 8:28 pm
Orion wrote:
Fri Mar 22 4:49 pm
I think the invitations go out before the State tournament. Edina accepted then lost to Tonka in OT of State finals.
Makes sense. I imagine it's determined by the regular season winner.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Sun Mar 31 9:25 pm

Edina JGA in the National finals tomorrow. Beat Regis Jesuit, CO State Champs, in shootout. Tied 1-1 after regulation and one OT

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by J22 » Sun Mar 31 9:53 pm

george wrote:
Sun Mar 31 9:25 pm
Edina JGA in the National finals tomorrow. Beat Regis Jesuit, CO State Champs, in shootout. Tied 1-1 after regulation and one OT
The Edina boys are a very good hockey team

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Mon Apr 01 5:42 am

J22 wrote:
Sun Mar 31 9:53 pm
george wrote:
Sun Mar 31 9:25 pm
The Edina boys are a very good hockey team
Yes they are. Good luck to them today. The drop from varsity to Jr Gold is not as large as some people think.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 01 5:50 am

Holy crap, the other semi game ended 6-3 and the losers took 90+ minutes of penalties on 23 violations. :shock:

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 01 1:01 pm

Edina lost 4-1 to Santa Margarita Catholic High School.

Iceburg
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Iceburg » Mon Apr 01 1:12 pm

george wrote:
Mon Apr 01 1:01 pm
That is the school that former Gopher Craig Johnson had been coaching (and still is for all I know). His son, future Gopher Ryan, played for them the year the tournament was held at the rink in Plymouth.

Retired Thread Police

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Mon Apr 01 1:23 pm

According to this Craig is still their head coach. https://www.smhs.org/athletics/teams-page/ice-hockey

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Apr 01 1:30 pm

Iceburg wrote:
Mon Apr 01 1:12 pm
george wrote:
Mon Apr 01 1:01 pm
That is the school that former Gopher Craig Johnson had been coaching (and still is for all I know). His son, future Gopher Ryan, played for them the year the tournament was held at the rink in Plymouth.
Looked like a clean game from the summary. No power play goals, 3 penalties a side. Edina outshot by a little.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by GopherPete » Tue Apr 02 9:25 am

What level hockey is this? Is there a reason we don't send our AA state champ to play in this national tournament?

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Tue Apr 02 9:28 am

GopherPete wrote:
Tue Apr 02 9:25 am
What level hockey is this? Is there a reason we don't send our AA state champ to play in this national tournament?
This is Junior Gold A. Yes, they are not part of USA Hockey, hence not eligible to compete. Junior Gold is in USA Hockey.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Tue Apr 02 9:31 am

It looks like Santa Margarita is comparable to Shatuck St. Mary's. A prep school that draws from all over. NHLers send their kids there. Pretty big too, 1300 or so.

GopherPete
Veteran

Post by GopherPete » Tue Apr 02 9:35 am

I am assuming Shattuck is not eligible for this tourney either? Or I guess they just choose not to play?

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Tue Apr 02 9:42 am

GopherPete wrote:
Tue Apr 02 9:35 am
I am assuming Shattuck is not eligible for this tourney either? Or I guess they just choose not to play?
Shattuck' prep team will be in the boys 18u tournament starting this Thursday. Much better competition there.

https://nationals.usahockey.com/page/sh ... tier-i-18u

Retired Thread Police

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Apr 02 8:35 pm

george wrote:
Tue Apr 02 9:31 am
It looks like Santa Margarita is comparable to Shatuck St. Mary's. A prep school that draws from all over. NHLers send their kids there. Pretty big too, 1300 or so.
And kids that can't even make varsity from Edina, Minnetonka, Wayzata, etc are good enough to beat them. This is a fun tournament that shows just how strong MN is in hockey.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed May 22 10:04 am

Hitting the off season for AAA hockey so I am washing the kids hockey pads in the washing machine. Nice to have them come out smelling great. It is so easy to do I wonder why so many parents let their kids smell like dog crap all year.

We always lay equipment out after practice to let it dry, so our equipment is rarely too bad. We had some kids in the locker room that made me want to vomit. I was frequently asked to tie skates and there were a couple kids that I had to hold my breath as I tied.
Last edited by Bertogliat on Wed May 22 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Wed May 22 10:34 am

Make a gear tree. Best thing I did when my kid was playing. Make him hang the gear on the tree when he comes home. Dries quickly and very little stink, takes up less space than laying it out .

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu May 23 11:26 am

I grew up with the stench, fortunately it wasn't me, but some kids/parents truly can't smell themselves. There were a few kids I told them they needed to wash their gear. The locker rooms with heat on are the worst. The smell is somewhat curtailed when the locker room is a bit chilly, but get into an old barn with a garage heater hanging from the ceiling and the knob broken and the temp is 75 degrees...melt yer nose hairs type smell.

That being said, washing equipment will reduce the life of it. Think back to when you washed tennis shoes or tried to wash a baseball cap in the dishwasher with one of those plastic form things. It never felt the same afterwards.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 23 12:53 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu May 23 11:26 am
I grew up with the stench, fortunately it wasn't me, but some kids/parents truly can't smell themselves. There were a few kids I told them they needed to wash their gear. The locker rooms with heat on are the worst. The smell is somewhat curtailed when the locker room is a bit chilly, but get into an old barn with a garage heater hanging from the ceiling and the knob broken and the temp is 75 degrees...melt yer nose hairs type smell.

That being said, washing equipment will reduce the life of it. Think back to when you washed tennis shoes or tried to wash a baseball cap in the dishwasher with one of those plastic form things. It never felt the same afterwards.
Our equipment holds up fairly well since I purchased new and the kids grow out of it so fast at this age. That said, if the equipment wears out from washing, it'll still last longer (in my house) than if it smells like camel toes. I'd throw that crap in the garbage rather than smell it.

The only items we can't/wont wash are skates, helmet, and gloves (leather palms). And each of those get healthy doses of Lysol or alcohol. :dup:

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by fightclub30 » Thu May 23 1:13 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 23 12:53 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu May 23 11:26 am

Our equipment holds up fairly well since I purchased new and the kids grow out of it so fast at this age. That said, if the equipment wears out from washing, it'll still last longer (in my house) than if it smells like camel toes. I'd throw that crap in the garbage rather than smell it.

The only items we can't/wont wash are skates, helmet, and gloves (leather palms). And each of those get healthy doses of Lysol or alcohol. :dup:
As an adult I do not think my (goalie) chest protector or pants would even fit in a washing machine... As a teenager my mom washer my chest protector once and not only did it start to fall apart (seams separating for example) I got a few bruises shortly after - a lot of the HD foam lost its shape/rigidity and moved or shifted out of place.

I wash the feet socks & hockey socks, underarmour type shirt and pants, jock, every 2-3 times I am on the ice. I don't think I could actually wash anything else...

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu May 23 2:02 pm

I'm telling you guys, get that gear hung up as soon as you get home so it dries out. Makes the biggest difference in reducing the stench. The problems come in travel tournies. We often had windows cracked and gear laid out in the back of the Outback overnight in the hotel parking lot.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 23 4:40 pm

george wrote:
Thu May 23 2:02 pm
I'm telling you guys, get that gear hung up as soon as you get home so it dries out. Makes the biggest difference in reducing the stench. The problems come in travel tournies. We often had windows cracked and gear laid out in the back of the Outback overnight in the hotel parking lot.
I agree wholeheartedly. We bring equipment into the room and lay it out on the floor.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Nov 02 8:06 pm

My kid had a scrimmage today and the goalie opens his bag in the locker room and a wasp flies out and stung him three times on the hand/arm. WTF? Talk about weird. Of all players this happens to the goalie.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Nov 02 8:17 pm

Surprised the wasp survived with all that stinky goalie equipment.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Nov 04 12:21 pm

So it's Jr's first year of bantams. Only 3-4 first year players made the AA team and my kid didn't make it. Took it hard at first but now I think he sees it will be good for him. Finally got a goal this weekend in his last scrimmage before district games start next week, so good to finally get the seal broken off. He is really having an issue adjusting to the hitting, which is tough but a little expected. He's a big kid so he can handle his own and is getting much better at handing out the checks but admits he's still afraid about getting hit. He's been knocked on his butt a few times already. I think he will adjust sooner or later it's just too bad it hasn't happened yet.

Unfortunately his team is almost all first year players that are on the small side. There are maybe 3-4 second years on the team and from what I see they are not happy about it. The older kids got skills but they don't really seem to want to be a part of the team. They keep to themselves and don't have good relationships with the first year kids, which is causing friction on and off the ice. They don't seem to make obvious passes and keep the puck for themselves a lot of the time. Not sure if it's them trying to do too much or if they really don't trust the younger group yet or if I'm just totally reading this wrong and the chemistry just hasn't developed yet. But I think this is really holding back the team and hope they can come together soon otherwise it may be a long season. The away tournament is in a couple weeks, so maybe that will help too.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Nov 04 1:33 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Mon Feb 29 3:23 pm
This is all reinforcing my idea to not have kids. Not sure how my parents afforded my hockey, soccer and softball for years and years
Or you can follow my path. My two girls were involved in dance for about 3 or 4 years until the cost and time commitment became too great. My wife and I weren't willing to pay $800 per month for 10 months out of the year. The girls were pissed when we yanked them out and thought the world was going to end. We ended up joining a Tae Kwon Do gym and now all four of us attend classes for $150 per month. Now they wish we would have dropped dance sooner as both of them are on track to attain their black belts by the time they reach 18.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Nov 04 4:26 pm

Don Adams Wheel of Justice wrote:
Mon Nov 04 1:33 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
This is all reinforcing my idea to not have kids. Not sure how my parents afforded my hockey, soccer and softball for years and years
Or you can follow my path. My two girls were involved in dance for about 3 or 4 years until the cost and time commitment became too great. My wife and I weren't willing to pay $800 per month for 10 months out of the year. The girls were pissed when we yanked them out and thought the world was going to end. We ended up joining a Tae Kwon Do gym and now all four of us attend classes for $150 per month. Now they wish we would have dropped dance sooner as both of them are on track to attain their black belts by the time they reach 18.
Organized youth sports have became so expensive and so competitive that the fun is being sucked out of it. The wrong message is being sent to kids as to what sports are about imho.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Mon Nov 04 5:30 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 04 4:26 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Organized youth sports have became so expensive and so competitive that the fun is being sucked out of it. The wrong message is being sent to kids as to what sports are about imho.
Most of the craziness I see is from the parents.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by D2D » Mon Nov 04 5:41 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Mon Nov 04 5:30 pm
Most of the craziness I see is from the parents.
Some things never change.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Nov 04 6:39 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 04 4:26 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
I respectfully disagree. Youth sports are what you make them. Hockey is a relatively expensive sport, no doubt, and I had 2 boys who played mites, Squirts, PeeWees, Bantams & High School. Did we spend a lot of money? Yes we sure did. Was it worth it? Every single penny. And as far as sports being competitive, many things in life are competitive, so it’s beneficial to learn to compete and team sports helped. I also have a daughter who participated in competition dance...and that’s actually more expensive than hockey. And did some potential (personal/real property) need to be sacrificed to enable our kids to participate in these activities? Absolutely. But I have no regrets. 😊 I’m not saying we did it the right way, we just did it our way. The path Don Adams (referred to) worked out fine for his family too 👍

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 04 7:02 pm

I agree with Bearpaw28! :shock:

Worth every penny and the kids have great friends on these teams (parents too). Often busy and never bored.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 686 times
Been liked: 517 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Nov 04 7:05 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Nov 04 6:39 pm
I respectfully disagree. Youth sports are what you make them. Hockey is a relatively expensive sport, no doubt, and I had 2 boys who played mites, Squirts, PeeWees, Bantams & High School. Did we spend a lot of money? Yes we sure did. Was it worth it? Every single penny. And as far as sports being competitive, many things in life are competitive, so it’s beneficial to learn to compete and team sports helped. I also have a daughter who participated in competition dance...and that’s actually more expensive than hockey. And did some potential possessions need to be sacrificed (by me & my wife) to enable our kids to participate in these activities? Absolutely. But I have no regrets. 😊
I concur. YE knew he had little chance of making his HS team so he played through first year of bantams before switching to XC Skiing and both were fantastic. The nutty parents were far outnumbered by the great ones.

My daughter Irish Danced and that was fun, especially since dad could get a Guinness or Jameson at most of her shows/events and, you know, St. Patrick's Day! :beerchug: Not sure I would have enjoyed the big dance school scene as much. Seems too intense.

At the end it's crucial for kids to learn to work in a team environment, that is the real value of sports.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Nov 04 10:42 pm

I think it comes down to the adults - parents and coaches - as to the examples set for the kids in terms of sportsmanship, how to handle adversity, and also how to be a good teammate, person, and human being; sports can teach a kid a lot about those things. I don’t have kids so of course I hear the horror stories, I’m glad to hear there are several kids out there having fun. I hope the good experiences continue to overshadow the bad and kids don’t think they have failed if they aren’t on the best team or aren’t on track to be the next Wayne Gretzky.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Nov 05 10:53 am

My daughter moved up to 12U this year. It's been a difficult adjustment to say the least. She had the same coach for the last 4 years, but this year that coach couldn't (or didn't?) take her when they were drafting teams, so she ended up on a different team. The coaching staff on the new team has been together for a while, and they have a much different coaching style than the other guy. Her previous coach was super positive. This new one is very disciplinarian.

Practices aren't fun anymore, and she doesn't really have any friends on this new team. While I think the new coach has good intentions, she just doesn't respond well to that style of coaching... and neither did I when I had a coach like that, quite frankly. I'm hoping things improve, but deep down I'm a little worried that she won't want to play again next year.

We shall see.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Nov 05 12:01 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Nov 05 10:53 am
My daughter moved up to 12U this year. It's been a difficult adjustment to say the least. She had the same coach for the last 4 years, but this year that coach couldn't (or didn't?) take her when they were drafting teams, so she ended up on a different team. The coaching staff on the new team has been together for a while, and they have a much different coaching style than the other guy. Her previous coach was super positive. This new one is very disciplinarian.

Practices aren't fun anymore, and she doesn't really have any friends on this new team. While I think the new coach has good intentions, she just doesn't respond well to that style of coaching... and neither did I when I had a coach like that, quite frankly. I'm hoping things improve, but deep down I'm a little worried that she won't want to play again next year.

We shall see.
My oldest kids seems to have quite a mix of screamers and nurturers between hockey and soccer. He definitely prefers encouragement more than discipline but I think he works harder to avoid getting yelled at than he does with only positive reenforcement.

Hopefully your daughter can recognize the good intentions (not all coaches have them) and she gets used to the yelling.

Good luck.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Nov 05 12:55 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Nov 05 12:01 pm
My oldest kids seems to have quite a mix of screamers and nurturers between hockey and soccer. He definitely prefers encouragement more than discipline but I think he works harder to avoid getting yelled at than he does with only positive reenforcement.
That's true, and I'm guessing her hockey skills might improve this year because she'll work harder not to get singled out and yelled at. But at what cost? She likes hockey well enough, but like most girls her age, having fun and socializing with friends are the main reasons she plays. Right now she's getting neither. What good is improving your skills if you're not having fun or making friends?

Adults really do ruin youth sports, IMO.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Nov 05 2:24 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Nov 05 12:55 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Nov 05 12:01 pm
That's true, and I'm guessing her hockey skills might improve this year because she'll work harder not to get singled out and yelled at. But at what cost? She likes hockey well enough, but like most girls her age, having fun and socializing with friends are the main reasons she plays. Right now she's getting neither. What good is improving your skills if you're not having fun or making friends?

Adults really do ruin youth sports, IMO.
My oldest kid's team is mostly new to us. After our first scrimmage a few parents invited the team out to dinner. We went and met new people and got along well (kids and adults alike). After the 2nd scrimmage a similar group went out to dinner (we had other plans). A couple acts of going out to dinner (and including everyone) can make for such a great, inclusive environment and gets the team to bond sooner.

Maybe try asking if families want to go out to dinner after the next game/scrimmage? You might find it works well for you as well as your daughter.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jan 27 10:08 pm

Hearing all the positive stuff about the Gophers this weekend is reassuring as I didn't get to watch games this weekend as we had our own PeeWee A tournament this weekend. Our season has been a struggle. We have struggled to score goals and play good team defense which has lead to a lot of losses when they shouldn't have.

This weekend we turned a corner. After winning our first game 7-1, we won 3-2, 3-2 again, 2-1 and won the championship 3-2 in a shootout. We are still struggling to put the puck in the net, but the team defense and team play has been fun to watch them grow this much in a little more than half the season. We questioned a lot about our coaching ability and it all kind of came together in the past 6-7 games.
Doug Woog - 1990

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Tue Jan 28 1:37 pm

Tough to get kids that age to play smart defensive hockey. Everybody wants to score goals.

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by skiier32 » Tue Jan 28 2:06 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Jan 27 10:08 pm
Hearing all the positive stuff about the Gophers this weekend is reassuring as I didn't get to watch games this weekend as we had our own PeeWee A tournament this weekend. Our season has been a struggle. We have struggled to score goals and play good team defense which has lead to a lot of losses when they shouldn't have.

This weekend we turned a corner. After winning our first game 7-1, we won 3-2, 3-2 again, 2-1 and won the championship 3-2 in a shootout. We are still struggling to put the puck in the net, but the team defense and team play has been fun to watch them grow this much in a little more than half the season. We questioned a lot about our coaching ability and it all kind of came together in the past 6-7 games.
What team and tourney? We enter our third weekend in a row of tournaments between our two boys. Wouldn't trade it for anything!! Good luck the rest of the year!!

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jan 28 2:26 pm

My daughter's team just finished 3 tournament weekends in a row. Two were out of town, and one was on the complete opposite side of the metro (I think I racked up almost 300 miles just driving back and forth during that one metro tourney). I'm exhausted, and I'm not even the one skating. I've never been more ready for a season to end.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jan 28 10:37 pm

skiier32 wrote:
Tue Jan 28 2:06 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Jan 27 10:08 pm

What team and tourney? We enter our third weekend in a row of tournaments between our two boys. Wouldn't trade it for anything!! Good luck the rest of the year!!
It was our own tourney, Fargo Woodchipper. Besides State, it is our last of the season. Still damn proud of those boys.
Doug Woog - 1990

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Jan 29 2:51 pm

I am probably a bad parent, but I hope my kid doesn't play hockey. I have a soon-to-be 3 year old and people are already telling me how I have to get her on skates and start getting her ready for hockey.

I picked hockey because nobody in my family pushed me to do it, and nobody in my extended family had played before, I wanted to do my own thing. I loved it. Every year when hockey season was done, I was ready to pack my gear away and play baseball. Around the time school started, I couldn't wait for hockey to start in another month. I didn't start playing until 3rd grade, but never felt "behind", my dad took a new job and finally said we could afford it. We typically had something 4-5 nights a week 2-3 games and 2-3 practices, and then 5 tournaments with 3 being out-of-towners. This was travel hockey at Wayzata, not some obscure program in rural MN.

Now, I hear co-workers talk about their 8-year old who wants to play hockey but is told by others that he is "too far behind". Another co-worker has a 4-year old in hockey and has to take time off in the middle of the day to take him to practice at 1:30 on Tuesdays. A friend has 2 girls in hockey, U10 and U12, and they have something everyday - dryland training, practice games, often times 2 things a day on weekends. He is "required" to have his U12 player there 75 minutes before their games for team warm-ups. There are "suggested off-season camps" that are run by the "a-team" coaches, and she better attend those if she wants a chance at the A-team. He is telling me he probably spends around $7,000 a year for both girls to play hockey (all-in; registration, ice-fees, hotels, summer camps, equipment). They cannot schedule any family travel during the season because if they miss a practice, they miss the next game. Several weekends every winter they barely see each other because he is taking one to this game an hour away, and his wife is taking the other to a tournament up North. I get the impression that this is pretty typical?

I have nieces in competitive dance, and I already decided that won't even be an allowable option for her. JFC - those people run completely different lives than I want/hope to. I want her to play something, but I am hoping it isn't hockey... Maybe she can be a Diver and get a jump before all the injured gymnasts start in high school haha.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jan 29 6:08 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Jan 29 2:51 pm
I am probably a bad parent, but I hope my kid doesn't play hockey. I have a soon-to-be 3 year old and people are already telling me how I have to get her on skates and start getting her ready for hockey.

I picked hockey because nobody in my family pushed me to do it, and nobody in my extended family had played before, I wanted to do my own thing. I loved it. Every year when hockey season was done, I was ready to pack my gear away and play baseball. Around the time school started, I couldn't wait for hockey to start in another month. I didn't start playing until 3rd grade, but never felt "behind", my dad took a new job and finally said we could afford it. We typically had something 4-5 nights a week 2-3 games and 2-3 practices, and then 5 tournaments with 3 being out-of-towners. This was travel hockey at Wayzata, not some obscure program in rural MN.

Now, I hear co-workers talk about their 8-year old who wants to play hockey but is told by others that he is "too far behind". Another co-worker has a 4-year old in hockey and has to take time off in the middle of the day to take him to practice at 1:30 on Tuesdays. A friend has 2 girls in hockey, U10 and U12, and they have something everyday - dryland training, practice games, often times 2 things a day on weekends. He is "required" to have his U12 player there 75 minutes before their games for team warm-ups. There are "suggested off-season camps" that are run by the "a-team" coaches, and she better attend those if she wants a chance at the A-team. He is telling me he probably spends around $7,000 a year for both girls to play hockey (all-in; registration, ice-fees, hotels, summer camps, equipment). They cannot schedule any family travel during the season because if they miss a practice, they miss the next game. Several weekends every winter they barely see each other because he is taking one to this game an hour away, and his wife is taking the other to a tournament up North. I get the impression that this is pretty typical?

I have nieces in competitive dance, and I already decided that won't even be an allowable option for her. JFC - those people run completely different lives than I want/hope to. I want her to play something, but I am hoping it isn't hockey... Maybe she can be a Diver and get a jump before all the injured gymnasts start in high school haha.
There is plenty of rec hockey out there. For every nut-job of a parent, there are 4-5 level-headed parents too. Let them play and have fun. 2 years ago a co-worker of mine had a kid playing 12 months out of the year. He asked me where my kid was playing in the summer. I told him at the lake and a little bit of baseball between lake time. He lectured me the same way. That fall, his kid made AA PeeWee team as a first year and he said “told you so”. This year as a first year Bantam, his kid didn’t even want to play. Meanwhile, mine is slowly improving and growing to love the game and enjoys working harder every day at it. He has figured that out on his own.
Doug Woog - 1990

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 260 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by D2D » Wed Jan 29 7:50 pm

What we did is expose our daughter to many different sports and activities and let her decide, and eventually focus on, the one she liked the best. Out of competitive swimming, gymnastics, soccer, chess (two national tournaments!), English horseback riding, and hockey, at about age 9 to 11 she was pretty much starting to focus on hockey. This approach worked out well for everyone concerned.

GopherPete
Veteran

Post by GopherPete » Wed Jan 29 9:03 pm

NVMD
Last edited by GopherPete on Mon Mar 16 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jan 29 10:14 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Jan 29 7:50 pm
What we did is expose our daughter to many different sports and activities and let her decide, and eventually focus on, the one she liked the best. Out of competitive swimming, gymnastics, soccer, chess (two national tournaments!), English horseback riding, and hockey, at about age 9 to 11 she was pretty much starting to focus on hockey. This approach worked out well for everyone concerned.
I think that is a very logical approach. Allow the kids to experience several activities and they’ll gravitate to the ones they truly enjoy. It’s hard to excel at a sport you don’t love. Best of luck to your daughter!

midevil bowievil
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by midevil bowievil » Fri Mar 13 2:00 pm

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by J22 » Fri Mar 13 2:10 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:
Fri Mar 13 2:00 pm
https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... ow/1095325

Very surprising, not shocking?
Pretty much a can't win situation, but I don't think they could've handled it any worse if they tried.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Mar 13 3:26 pm

J22 wrote:
Fri Mar 13 2:10 pm
midevil bowievil wrote:

Pretty much a can't win situation, but I don't think they could've handled it any worse if they tried.
Do tell.
Currently under construction.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Fri Mar 13 3:37 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Mar 13 3:26 pm
J22 wrote:
Fri Mar 13 2:10 pm
midevil bowievil wrote:

Do tell.
It has been a bit of a cluster since this is relatively uncharted territory. I'll give them a pass since no one wants to cancel state.

A couple of examples:They first cancelled the various banquets for the state tournament players and families. There was a bit of confusion which levels were cancelled as the information flow made it sound like some levels cancelled and others where still being held. They also waited too long to make a decision. I know a few teams were already in Moorhead for the 15UA tournament before it was called off. This likely happened at all the tournament sites.

midevil bowievil
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by midevil bowievil » Fri Mar 13 4:13 pm

I think they should have played since this is a small amount of spectators, basically just parents. It's not like they have to sit shoulder to shoulder. But possibly there are inundated communities that are closing facilities?

Also, just got and email explaining that the Minnesota HP program/tryouts are suspended.

ex_goldy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by ex_goldy » Fri Mar 13 6:35 pm

There are teams that were here from out of town, the hotels require 24 hour notice on cancellation so they pay for two nights anyways. Last night they had the Jr gold banquet and 1200 people showed. Minnesota hockey website said banquets are cancelled but people went anyway. If the same people are going to the games then we already were exposed.

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Butters Stotch » Fri Mar 20 7:52 pm

Minnesota Hockey Spring & Summer Activities now canceled.

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... c-13641117

Iceburg
Golden
Golden

Post by Iceburg » Sat Mar 21 12:29 am

Butters Stotch wrote:
Fri Mar 20 7:52 pm
Minnesota Hockey Spring & Summer Activities now canceled.

https://www.minnesotahockey.org/news_ar ... c-13641117
And "USA Hockey" cancels the bulk of the top end of the HP process.
USA Hockey wrote:COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado – USA Hockey announced today the revision of its national player development plans for 2020 due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic as detailed below.
  • USA Hockey has canceled the 2020 Boys Select 15 National Camp (2005 birth year)
  • USA Hockey has canceled the 2020 Girls 15 National Camp (2005 birth year)
  • USA Hockey has canceled the 2020 Girls 16/17 National Camp (2003/2004 birth years)
  • USA Hockey will tentatively conduct the Boys Select 16 (2004 birth year) and 17 (2003 birth year) National Camps and the Girls Under-18 Select National Camp (2003, 2004, 2005 birth years)
  • The Boys Select 17 National Camp is tentatively set for June 24 – July 1, 2020 in Amherst, New York. The U.S. Under-18 Men’s Select Team will be selected from the camp set to compete in the 2020 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, in August. Player invitations for this camp will be extended by June 1.
  • The Boys Select 16 National Camp is tentatively set for July 7-13, 2020, in Amherst, New York. The U.S. Under-17 Men’s Select Team will be selected from the camp set to compete in the 2020 Five Nations Tournament, in August. Player invitations for this camp will be extended by June 8.
  • The Girls Under-18 Select National Camp is tentatively set for July 15-21, 2020, in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Approximately 30 players will be selected from this camp to participate in the 2020 Under-18 National Team Festival, in August. Player invitations for this camp will be extended by June 1.
In addition, USA Hockey strongly recommends the cancellation of all affiliate tryouts, district tryouts, district/multi-district development camps for all birth years for the spring and summer of 2020.

“Our number one priority is the safety of our players, officials, coaches, volunteers and families involved,” said Kevin McLaughlin, assistant executive director of hockey development for USA Hockey. “We estimate roughly 9,000 individuals or families are involved in these activities across the country and with the uncertainty of the coronavirus situation we all face and the logistics involved with these events, the leaders in our organization from across the country felt it was important to make a decision now that had best interests of everyone involved, with safety being at the forefront.”

McLaughlin noted that decision to tentatively hold the Boys Select 16 and 17 National Camps and Girls Under-18 Selection National Camp will continue to be reviewed daily and that invitations to those camps, if they are ultimately held, will come from USA Hockey’s national office, with input from USA Hockey coaches, scouts, district player development representatives and other hockey personnel.
Looks like they are holding out hope for the three camps that are directly used to choose select teams for international play

Retired Thread Police

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat May 23 4:36 pm

Minnesota Hockey releases return to play guidelines.

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/ ... 1583086180