Youth Hockey

Chat about Football, Baseball or any other sports topic.
midevil bowievil
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Youth Hockey

Post by midevil bowievil » Thu Jan 19 8:12 pm

skiier32 wrote: I have had to pull up a goalie from Squirts to Peewee in a couple games, you can not get a goalie from a higher designation than your team. Which is why I have to pull up a Squirt.

I guess I don't understand this either. We have an absolutely no move up policy except for numbers. Did you have no other players?

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by J22 » Thu Jan 19 8:13 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:
Tiggsy wrote:Okay, isn't there some rule against this? This weekend my kid's squirt team played a team that apparently drafted a goalie from another team. Don't know why they were missing their own goalie, but this drafted kid was from Woodbury and even wore his Woodbury jersey. Of course the kid was incredible and turned out to be the difference in the game by stopping many point blank chances handing my kid's team a 2-1 loss.

Absolutely ridiculous and wrong. These people shouldn't even be involved with youth sports.

As long as the kid was from the same level of play, why is it wrong?

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Orion » Thu Jan 19 8:13 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:
skiier32 wrote: I have had to pull up a goalie from Squirts to Peewee in a couple games, you can not get a goalie from a higher designation than your team. Which is why I have to pull up a Squirt.

I guess I don't understand this either. We have an absolutely no move up policy except for numbers. Did you have no other players?

Most associations don't have an excess of goalies.

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Thu Jan 19 8:15 pm

Drafted? I don't even know what that means. Are we talking about eleven year olds in association hockey or the USHL?

Did they have like seven players or something?

Even if they don't have a "goalie" surplus, they probably have enough players so suit somebody else up.
Last edited by midevil bowievil on Thu Jan 19 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jan 19 8:16 pm

Some associations allow kids to play up. Others don't.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Thu Jan 19 8:18 pm

I don't think so. By drafted he meant borrowed. If there goalie was sick and the can get a replacement for the game from another goalie at the same or lower level as their team. This can be inside or outside the teams association. Most try inside first but if no one is available they can go out side

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Thu Jan 19 8:42 pm

Okay. I guess I just have know idea how they do things in the big city. Crazy. But we must be pretty close to the point where rosters are finalized with the district.

My point is just that if you have enough players on the team you have somebody that can suit up. What if the kids said they all wanted to be forwards would you try and take players from another team because you don't have defenseman?

Our Squirt B's had a kid quit that played goalie and the other kid informed everyone before the season he was done playing goalie all together. So of course some parents said they needed our Squirt A goalie to move up. The board asked how many players were on the team. There were fifteen I believe so no move up, plenty of kids.

And someone said they only had one 8u goalie? C'mon, they're Mites. If you have ten players on the team you have ten goalies.

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by skiier32 » Fri Jan 20 2:41 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:Okay. I guess I just have know idea how they do things in the big city. Crazy. But we must be pretty close to the point where rosters are finalized with the district.

My point is just that if you have enough players on the team you have somebody that can suit up. What if the kids said they all wanted to be forwards would you try and take players from another team because you don't have defenseman?

Our Squirt B's had a kid quit that played goalie and the other kid informed everyone before the season he was done playing goalie all together. So of course some parents said they needed our Squirt A goalie to move up. The board asked how many players were on the team. There were fifteen I believe so no move up, plenty of kids.

And someone said they only had one 8u goalie? C'mon, they're Mites. If you have ten players on the team you have ten goalies.

Mites - Yes you have 10 goalies. At the peewee level no you do not. There is maybe 1 or 2 I would ask but that would be if we were out of town and our goalie got hurt or became sick and it was an emergency situation. The only way to get a skater is if your team fall below 10 skaters. You can pull up but never down. So again my C team would be pulling up from Squirts if needed.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Mon Jan 23 8:31 am

Anyone know what are the rules for Canadian teams playing in MN tournaments? How do ages compare at the peewee level and what would be the MN equivalent of a Canadian A1team?

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Mon Jan 23 12:59 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:Drafted? I don't even know what that means. Are we talking about eleven year olds in association hockey or the USHL?

Did they have like seven players or something?

Even if they don't have a "goalie" surplus, they probably have enough players so suit somebody else up.

Yes I meant borrowed. I guess I used the drafted term because I'm sure they didn't go out and find the first goalie they could because the association this borrowed goalie was from over 30 minutes away. So I'm thinking they went out and looked for the best goalie they could find, not the first one they could find. That's what irritated me about this. They had plenty of other players in the game so someone else could have ,and IMHO opinion should have, suited up. Our team does have someone designated as a back up goalie who we would likely use in a pinch if our main goalie was gone. I assumed the same thing was true for the other teams. Had no idea there was actually a rule to allow this, which was my original question.

Anyways, had this goalie not been the difference in the game I wouldn't have been so worked up about it but this kid shut us down in a game that I think our kids should have won. Oh well. Maybe we will see them again in districts and see what happens then. :)

ElectricGopher
Rookie

Post by ElectricGopher » Mon Jan 23 11:39 pm

I agree that the association should require their coaches to first check for an available goalie from a lower level team in their own association and then from the nearest association and not "cherry pick" a goalie from further away. Having said that though I have to ask what is best for the kids involved? To win one squirt level district game, a game hardly anyone will ever remember, by possibly shellacking a converted skater with no goalie training other than a practice or two as a mite? Or to play against and try to score on another aspiring goalie training for the position? A close loss in an intense game environment is better for all of the kids than an easy victory by a large margin. What would be the challenge in that? Even Ned Braden from Princeton knows this to be true. No offense intended.

skiier32
Golden
Golden

Post by skiier32 » Tue Jan 24 2:35 pm

ElectricGopher wrote:I agree that the association should require their coaches to first check for an available goalie from a lower level team in their own association and then from the nearest association and not "cherry pick" a goalie from further away. Having said that though I have to ask what is best for the kids involved? To win one squirt level district game, a game hardly anyone will ever remember, by possibly shellacking a converted skater with no goalie training other than a practice or two as a mite? Or to play against and try to score on another aspiring goalie training for the position? A close loss in an intense game environment is better for all of the kids than an easy victory by a large margin. What would be the challenge in that? Even Ned Braden from Princeton knows this to be true. No offense intended.

Having lost a game this weekend with 3.8 seconds and won one with 3 minutes to go I would take both games over a blowout either way. Both games could have gone either way.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Feb 17 6:47 pm

I announced a Squirt International game this afternoon and Tom Chorske was one of the coaches for Edina. I was surprised to see his kid as a B1.

Edina got down early, 2-0 to Minot. Minot had this goalie who stopped everything and I mean everything for half the game. 27 shots before SHE gave up her first goal. Edina ended up coming back to win 4-2 and shots ended up 37-12.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Armadillo » Fri Feb 17 8:39 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:I announced a Squirt International game this afternoon and Tom Chorske was one of the coaches for Edina. I was surprised to see his kid as a B1.

Edina got down early, 2-0 to Minot. Minot had this goalie who stopped everything and I mean everything for half the game. 27 shots before SHE gave up her first goal. Edina ended up coming back to win 4-2 and shots ended up 37-12.

I announced a U10 girl's game where Casey Hankinson was coaching Edina A. Figured I'd best get his name right. :D
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by george » Sat Feb 18 12:44 pm

Armadillo wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:I announced a Squirt International game this afternoon and Tom Chorske was one of the coaches for Edina. I was surprised to see his kid as a B1.

I announced a U10 girl's game where Casey Hankinson was coaching Edina A. Figured I'd best get his name right. :D

Did they have funny looking jerseys? :wink:

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 47 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Sat Feb 18 2:10 pm

george wrote:
Armadillo wrote:

Did they have funny looking jerseys? :wink:

:good2:

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Feb 18 3:11 pm

So apparently this same Edina team is causing quite a stir up here. One of the dads on that team at all of their games has gone into the penalty box and told the people working the box that he is supposed to be announcing, including the one I did. A note was sent out to all volunteers this morning letting them know he isn't welcome in the penalty box.

I can't believe the balls on some people.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Fri Feb 24 12:44 am

Ya but that's Edina's B team. As good as a lot of other associations A's for sure. Our district has A teams that play many B's during regular season schedule. We have an A team that will only play certain other A's in the district. They send their B1's to play the teams they refuse to play. I would guess Edina operates like that?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Feb 24 11:07 am

midevil bowievil wrote:

Ya but that's Edina's B team. As good as a lot of other associations A's for sure. Our district has A teams that play many B's during regular season schedule. We have an A team that will only play certain other A's in the district. They send their B1's to play the teams they refuse to play. I would guess Edina operates like that?

Yeah I kinda figured. They ended up winning it. Beat Osseo-MG in OT.
Doug Woog - 1990

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Feb 24 12:25 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
midevil bowievil wrote:

Why does Osseo-MG still have a combined youth hockey association when they are separate cities with two high schools? It would be like Coon Rapids and Blaine teaming up. It seems weird.

My kid team plays in the Potulny Mite league and OMGHA has 2 A level teams playing in that league. If you have enough kids for 2 A mite teams then why are you still combining the populations?

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Maize » Fri Feb 24 12:45 pm

Bertogliat wrote:Why does Osseo-MG still have a combined youth hockey association when they are separate cities with two high schools? It would be like Coon Rapids and Blaine teaming up. It seems weird.

My kid team plays in the Potulny Mite league and OMGHA has 2 A level teams playing in that league. If you have enough kids for 2 A mite teams then why are you still combining the populations?

The better question might be why Osseo still has their own HS program. Osseo didn't have numbers to fill teams or really run an effective association.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Fri Feb 24 1:10 pm

Obviously it's because they love to use the acronym OMG for their teams.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Feb 24 3:31 pm

If you folks have anyone you know playing in Fargo this weekend, here is the link for the live updates. Some interesting scores today. Also, I hate the shootout format for these Squirt kids.

http://www.fargohockey.org/squirtA2017live
Doug Woog - 1990

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Armadillo » Fri Feb 24 4:39 pm

Tiggsy wrote:Obviously it's because they love to use the acronym OMG for their teams.

We really do.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Tue Feb 28 2:04 pm

A colleague's kid is a squirt c and the team was 3-13 in District. They played in a tourney at the Dells last weekend. I told him before that the kids might do well against Sconny teams. Yup, they beat the other (and worse) C team from their association in the ship, both went undefeated in pool play. My kid was a PWC and they won a Sconny B tourney. :lol:

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Tue Feb 28 3:27 pm

So it's my kid's last regular season squirt game against a pretty weak team. They beat up on them 8-1. He comes out of the locker room and starts crying. I'm so confused by this and the reason he's upset is because the team scored so many goals but he didn't get one, and no one on his line did either so he didn't even get an assist. :shock: I was completely shocked by this. He has scored his fair share of pretty good goals this season and there was even a game where his line was the only one to score any goals in a 4-1 win. I asked if he thought the entire team acted just like he is now after winning that game. He said yes, they did. :roll: No reasoning with this kid. Awfully selfish after that game and being way to hard on himself. He knows he doesn't score in every game. I've seen him less upset about his team after a blow out loss. :conf2: I guess it's a good thing in the districts they will have some pretty tough competition which will keep their scores down.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Feb 28 4:44 pm

My kid was goalie yesterday for his game (Mites). He is a pretty good goalie, the coaches consider him and another kid the best goalies in Mites. Well, just so happens we play the other team with the other kid and he is in net. Before the game, all the kids on this other team start taunting him that they had the best goalie and he took it to heart. He had an awful game and let in a lot of easy ones, something he has never done. After the game, he was the last kid out of the locker room because he didn't want to face any of the parents and other kids.

I felt bad and he got over it right away, but these kids are set off by some of the oddest things.
Doug Woog - 1990

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Feb 28 7:08 pm

So this year the Armstrong Cooper Youth Hockey Association broke district 3 rules by having two U10B teams that were unbalanced. The rule from the district is that if you have two teams they have to be equal in talent. It's not OK to stack one team over the other.

The interesting thing here is D3 wants to fine them$25,000 for breaking the rule. Ouch!

gophsb2b
Golden
Golden

Post by gophsb2b » Tue Feb 28 10:35 pm

It's only a matter of time before associations find ways to bail on these districts and everything looks different.

hudr0004
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 3 times

Post by hudr0004 » Tue Feb 28 11:50 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
midevil bowievil wrote:

Why does Osseo-MG still have a combined youth hockey association when they are separate cities with two high schools? It would be like Coon Rapids and Blaine teaming up. It seems weird.

There are a couple of reasons for keeping Osseo-Maple Grove together. It is a big association with over 1,000 kids that currently use both sheets at Osseo ice Arena and both sheets at Maple Grove CC. The way it was explained to me when they considered it a couple years ago is that splitting the association would mean something like 200 kids would use the Osseo rinks and then the other 800 would have to use the Maple Grove ones...so ice time would be more difficult for MG. Another is that the middle schools don't align with the high schools (my daughter goes to Osseo Middle but will then go to Maple Grove HS and the other side of town is the opposite) so it's not as if kids would grow up in one "system". But they did split the youth football programs so I think the ice time is the biggest factor.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Mar 01 4:29 am

hudr0004 wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
midevil bowievil wrote:

There are a couple of reasons for keeping Osseo-Maple Grove together. It is a big association with over 1,000 kids that currently use both sheets at Osseo ice Arena and both sheets at Maple Grove CC. The way it was explained to me when they considered it a couple years ago is that splitting the association would mean something like 200 kids would use the Osseo rinks and then the other 800 would have to use the Maple Grove ones...so ice time would be more difficult for MG. Another is that the middle schools don't align with the high schools (my daughter goes to Osseo Middle but will then go to Maple Grove HS and the other side of town is the opposite) so it's not as if kids would grow up in one "system". But they did split the youth football programs so I think the ice time is the biggest factor.

My kid plays in the Blaine YHA. About a third of his practices this year were at the Centennial rink. I heard Blaine gets about a 1/4 of Centnenials ice time.

Having just moved from Coon Rapids to Blaine I know there are neighborhoods within Coon Rapids city where kids go to Blaine high School. And for elementary and middle school, kids from Blaine go to CR schools and vice versa. The rule for youth sports (my kids went to elementary school in Blaine but lived in CR) is you can play for the youth program in which you reside OR whichever youth program your kids' school resides. So we could have had the kids play for Blaine or CR. When we were living in CR (right on the border of the two cities) we had them play all CR sports to keep them playing with the same kids they'd be attending high school with. The Elementary and middle schools do not matter.

When we moved to Blaine we had a choice to continue playing for CR, through mites, with the kids and coaches we were familiar with or switch associations. Once we got to the squirt level we would have had to get a waiver from the BYHA to play for CRYHA since we now live in Blaine and go to school in Blaine.

In those rare instances where kids live in CR and go to school in CR, but will attend Blaine HS, they could easily get a waiver.

So it certainly can be done. The 200/800 split you mention makes it sound like the association was considering splitting along city boundaries rather than high school boundaries, unless MGHS is 4 times larger than Osseo.

Having said all that, if Osseo HS hockey is struggling for numbers I could see an eventual merge with MG, a la Cooper/Armstrong which would reverse it all again anyway.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Wed Mar 01 8:35 am

Orion wrote:So this year the Armstrong Cooper Youth Hockey Association broke district 3 rules by having two U10B teams that were unbalanced. The rule from the district is that if you have two teams they have to be equal in talent. It's not OK to stack one team over the other.

The interesting thing here is D3 wants to fine them$25,000 for breaking the rule. Ouch!

Can we report an association after the fact? :biggrin2: Last year Woodbury had 3 squirt C teams. Two were at the top of the standings but the third won maybe 2-3 games all year.

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Wed Mar 01 10:09 am

MNGophers29 wrote:If you folks have anyone you know playing in Fargo this weekend, here is the link for the live updates. Some interesting scores today. Also, I hate the shootout format for these Squirt kids.

I can't say how impressed I was with the level of hockey in this tournament. There weren't just four or five great teams it was more like ten or twelve. The Edina teams, Orono, Eden Prairie, Chaska, Maple Grove, Woodbury, Wayzata, all very impressive. And no surprise Warroad, Roseau, Hermantown, and Gran Rapids looked good. As well as the Fargo Angels and Fargo Freeze.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Mar 01 10:53 am

Tiggsy wrote:
Orion wrote:So this year the Armstrong Cooper Youth Hockey Association broke district 3 rules by having two U10B teams that were unbalanced. The rule from the district is that if you have two teams they have to be equal in talent. It's not OK to stack one team over the other.

Can we report an association after the fact? :biggrin2: Last year Woodbury had 3 squirt C teams. Two were at the top of the standings but the third won maybe 2-3 games all year.

Seems like this would be very difficult to prove. For instance, what if one team has a much better goalie than the other team? That would make a huge difference. Or what if the teams looked equal on paper, but for whatever reason (team chemistry, etc...), they ended up with much different records?

hudr0004
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 3 times

Post by hudr0004 » Wed Mar 01 11:00 am

Tiggsy wrote:

Maybe there needs to be some oversight from MN Hockey is some way on the formation of teams. You mention Woodbury, but Cottage Grove had 6 squirt teams and 4 of them were C's.

I am not sure why some districts go with 4 levels (A, B1, B2, C) and some with just three (A, B, C). I saw one of the Cottage a Grove tams play in a tournament and they were smoking teams from associations with the 4 levels, but had a tougher time against those with just 3 levels. And I see they finished so-so in their district. So why not make it consistent?

There probably isn't a great answer since many of the adults in charge seem to find a way to mess up youth sports anyway.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Wed Mar 01 11:11 am

hudr0004 wrote:
Tiggsy wrote:

Maybe there needs to be some oversight from MN Hockey is some way on the formation of teams. You mention Woodbury, but Cottage Grove had 6 squirt teams and 4 of them were C's.

I am not sure why some districts go with 4 levels (A, B1, B2, C) and some with just three (A, B, C). I saw one of the Cottage a Grove tams play in a tournament and they were smoking teams from associations with the 4 levels, but had a tougher time against those with just 3 levels. And I see they finished so-so in their district. So why not make it consistent?

There probably isn't a great answer since many of the adults in charge seem to find a way to mess up youth sports anyway.

You are right that Cottage Grove could have easily made another B team from the 4 C teams. But the difference is all 4 of the CG teams were relatively balanced and finished close to each other in the standings. There wasn't a dramatic drop off between any one of the 4, which was my point about Woodbury last year. This year Woodbury seems to be better balanced across their teams, so maybe it was just a team not coming together or someone had an axe to grind. Who knows.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Mar 01 11:56 am

midevil bowievil wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:If you folks have anyone you know playing in Fargo this weekend, here is the link for the live updates. Some interesting scores today. Also, I hate the shootout format for these Squirt kids.

I can't say how impressed I was with the level of hockey in this tournament. There weren't just four or five great teams it was more like ten or twelve. The Edina teams, Orono, Eden Prairie, Chaska, Maple Grove, Woodbury, Wayzata, all very impressive. And no surprise Warroad, Roseau, Hermantown, and Gran Rapids looked good. As well as the Fargo Angels and Fargo Freeze.

Yeah, I was surprised to see the Fargo teams do so well. Its funny, I was talking with a Squirt A coach on Sunday night and he said they had previously felt like this was a "rebuilding" year at the Squirt level.
Doug Woog - 1990

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Wed Mar 01 12:10 pm

In the Armstrong case I guess it was very obvious when one team was way more skilled than the other to the point were other teams complained. It would be nice if there was commonality across the state as to what a A or B team is skill wise

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Wed Mar 01 2:12 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Tiggsy wrote:

Seems like this would be very difficult to prove. For instance, what if one team has a much better goalie than the other team? That would make a huge difference. Or what if the teams looked equal on paper, but for whatever reason (team chemistry, etc...), they ended up with much different records?

My kid's first year of Bantam Edina had 3 C teams and only one committed head coach at final draft day. That coach knew the kids pretty well and drafted a great team (including my kid). A couple guys who had managed before, but not coaches, drafted a team of buddies from the same neighborhood. Might have had fun, but sure lost a lot. A board member drafted the other team and picked kids with skill, but a number of bad attitudes. They lost a lot too. One might think they drafted imbalanced, but it was just who did the drafting.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 396 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Mar 21 3:05 pm

Anyone who has any kids in any sport this video is an excellent thing for them and you to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4mIONS51E

For me this video says it all. It also confirms that I could have never played for him (gender aside) and I'm a horrible coach cause I wear my emotions on my sleeve and that's not good for kids or sports. I've hated UCONN Women's Basketball for years just because. I don't hate them so much anymore after seeing things like this and other things I've seen. Put this in here cause it's a youth sports thread. Sent it on to some hockey parents I know who have Twins and have one twin who has a hard time with the body language bit.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Mar 21 6:52 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:Anyone who has any kids in any sport this video is an excellent thing for them and you to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4mIONS51E

For me this video says it all. It also confirms that I could have never played for him (gender aside) and I'm a horrible coach cause I wear my emotions on my sleeve and that's not good for kids or sports. I've hated UCONN Women's Basketball for years just because. I don't hate them so much anymore after seeing things like this and other things I've seen. Put this in here cause it's a youth sports thread. Sent it on to some hockey parents I know who have Twins and have one twin who has a hard time with the body language bit.

Couldn't agree more. Especially the part about being happy for your teammates when they have success. That is part of the thing I love about Ricky Rubio. Nobody that I've seen in the NBA takes more joy in seeing his teammates succeeding. :dup:
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Jun 19 1:46 pm

USA Hockey implements no icing on penalty kills for Bantams on down.

I've advocated for this rule change, but not at this level. I have wondered for awhile why we let a penalized team (one who has already broken a rule) break another rule while they are killing that penalty. I believe it makes since at levels of hockey where A) there is no "curfew" clock and B) a team cannot change lines after icing. I wonder how this will play out... There is pretty much zero chance hybrid icing (touchless touch), or any form of preventing line changes makes it to youth hockey. Hopefully it has a good effect and other levels consider it. Sadly with the type of coaches at much of the youth level, I am afraid this could backfire greatly...

I would also love to see every level adopt the "if you score during the delayed penalty, you still get the power play". Another instance of letting a team off the hook a little bit. Sure, they did get scored on, but why not make penalties really hurt. That might increase scoring more than tinkering with the goalie equipment every other year.

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by MATT » Mon Jun 19 2:16 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Jun 19 1:46 pm

I've advocated for this rule change, but not at this level. I have wondered for awhile why we let a penalized team (one who has already broken a rule) break another rule while they are killing that penalty. I believe it makes since at levels of hockey where A) there is no "curfew" clock and B) a team cannot change lines after icing. I wonder how this will play out... There is pretty much zero chance hybrid icing (touchless touch), or any form of preventing line changes makes it to youth hockey. Hopefully it has a good effect and other levels consider it. Sadly with the type of coaches at much of the youth level, I am afraid this could backfire greatly...

I would also love to see every level adopt the "if you score during the delayed penalty, you still get the power play". Another instance of letting a team off the hook a little bit. Sure, they did get scored on, but why not make penalties really hurt. That might increase scoring more than tinkering with the goalie equipment every other year.
I agree on the no icing, as far as advocating for it, but no opinion on the level.

Regarding the expiration of minor penalties, that came down from the NHL: "In hockey's formative years, teams were shorthanded for the entire length of a minor penalty. The NHL changed this rule following the 1955–56 season where the Montreal Canadiens frequently scored multiple goals on one power play. Most famous was a game on November 5, 1955, when Jean Béliveau scored three goals in 44 seconds, all on the same power play, in a 4–2 victory over the Boston Bruins." (source = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_( ... acey56_5-1)

dryfly
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times

Post by dryfly » Mon Jun 19 2:21 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Jun 19 1:46 pm

It would definitely change the decision point over taking what is normally thought of as a 'good penalty' - be harder to justify so maybe fewer of them taken. That would be one plus.

I would also guess it would change the way teams played the penalty kill once a penalty is called. I think teams would try to kill more aggressively - at least at first while legs are fresh. Get out on the points aggressively and try to tap out and break or if attacking team gets the puck down low and turned over the killing team aggressively breaks - maybe even float the guy(s) attacking the point into the suck hole - and not just throw the puck down the ice for the change.

Could be interesting that is for sure.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jun 19 3:11 pm

There has been a lot of talk about this around my circles here too. Another argument is imagine trying a line change in the 2nd period when you have to go to far bench. Almost impossible, especially for squirts.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Doug Woog - 1990

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 19 3:44 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Jun 19 3:11 pm
There has been a lot of talk about this around my circles here too. Another argument is imagine trying a line change in the 2nd period when you have to go to far bench. Almost impossible, especially for squirts.

This. This is a rule that disproportionally affects the younger, slower kids. In high school its just 5 or 6 strides to get to the far bench and that is seen as a big hurdle when imposing off sides on a penalty. For the squirts, who are just having penalties enforced AND have smaller rosters, come on.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Jun 19 3:54 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jun 19 3:44 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:

This. This is a rule that disproportionally affects the younger, slower kids. In high school its just 5 or 6 strides to get to the far bench and that is seen as a big hurdle when imposing off sides on a penalty. For the squirts, who are just having penalties enforced AND have smaller rosters, come on.
If anything, this rule helps the younger, slower kids because it makes line changes that much easier during a penalty... Instead of on the fly during an allowed icing on the PK, now they get to make the change during a stoppage for an icing on the PK. What am I missing? How does this hurt slower kids?

before when icing was allowed, I was fortunate enough to play with some pretty good players when I was younger, faster teammates could get to the puck and make a breakout pass into the neutral zone before the team had finished their desperate change and created some 4-3, 4-2, 3-1 situations.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Mon Jun 19 4:21 pm

Even at the Bantam AA level, powerplays aren't close to being as smooth or skillful as we're used to seeing from the higher levels. Forcing the PK'ers to try and play a more skilled game should hopefully allow the PP's to do the same.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 19 5:26 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Jun 19 3:54 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:

If anything, this rule helps the younger, slower kids because it makes line changes that much easier during a penalty... Instead of on the fly during an allowed icing on the PK, now they get to make the change during a stoppage for an icing on the PK. What am I missing? How does this hurt slower kids?

before when icing was allowed, I was fortunate enough to play with some pretty good players when I was younger, faster teammates could get to the puck and make a breakout pass into the neutral zone before the team had finished their desperate change and created some 4-3, 4-2, 3-1 situations.
Because now you're essentially making it impossible to make a line change. Putting kids on the ice who don't have the conditioning built up and asking them to defend for 2 or more minutes unless your goalie can freeze the puck is a lot to ask.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jun 19 11:51 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jun 19 5:26 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Jun 19 3:54 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:

Because now you're essentially making it impossible to make a line change. Putting kids on the ice who don't have the conditioning built up and asking them to defend for 2 or more minutes unless your goalie can freeze the puck is a lot to ask.
Not only that, but have you watched many squirt games recently? Most of those kids can't clear the puck the length of the ice unless they try it in the first couple minutes after resurfacing. That is what all of our argument is about. I get your point, it just doesn't happen in squirts. Squirt kids, especially B and B2 players are going to buried in their own end for 2 minutes.
Doug Woog - 1990

fightclub30
Golden
Golden

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Jun 20 12:38 am

Fair points... But if they weren't getting buried in their own end for 2 minutes before? How will they suddenly now with a minor rule modification?

Just because there is a stoppage for icing doesn't mean they won't still do it, if they can. If they couldn't before, this rule is essentially not a change for them...

If they got penned in their own zone previously, how does this rule change make it worse? If they weren't getting penned in their own zone, will they suddenly never ice it because of a stoppage?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, trying to understand all angles. I actually submitted this rule change on more than one occasion.

I agree this isn't the best level for it. I think it makes much more sense at USHL level and above, but I don't think it will be that bad for youth hockey. And maybe, hopefully in my mind, curbs some of the dump and chase strategy. But I certainly don't know for sure.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Jun 20 12:55 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Jun 20 12:38 am
Fair points... But if they weren't getting buried in their own end for 2 minutes before? How will they suddenly now with a minor rule modification?

Just because there is a stoppage for icing doesn't mean they won't still do it, if they can. If they couldn't before, this rule is essentially not a change for them...

If they got penned in their own zone previously, how does this rule change make it worse? If they weren't getting penned in their own zone, will they suddenly never ice it because of a stoppage?

Sorry, not trying to be difficult, trying to understand all angles. I actually submitted this rule change on more than one occasion.

I agree this isn't the best level for it. I think it makes much more sense at USHL level and above, but I don't think it will be that bad for youth hockey. And maybe, hopefully in my mind, curbs some of the dump and chase strategy. But I certainly don't know for sure.
The argument is more about the length of ice 9 and 10 year olds have to skate in the 2nd period during a penalty kill. In some rinks, the forwards have to skate all the way into the offensive zone. Granted, in a perfectly executed game plan the kids will chip it high off the glass and the puck will stop in the offensive zone and they can try and change before the other team transitions, but in squirts, you are fortunate to get forwards to get rid of the puck and not try to skate through everyone.

I don't think anyone is arguing the rule itself, just the age groups it is going to affect. l
Doug Woog - 1990

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 20 1:30 am

At the lower levels will they prevent a line change after an icing while on the PK?
Currently under construction.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Jun 20 5:54 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Jun 20 1:30 am
At the lower levels will they prevent a line change after an icing while on the PK?
No. They still can change.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 313 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 20 1:01 pm

Then I don't see a problem with it.
Currently under construction.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 20 2:35 pm

Yep. Now I care much less.

Orion
Golden
Golden

Post by Orion » Tue Jun 20 4:59 pm

It was a rare miracle when my kids team cleared the puck anyway.

PrideOnIce
Golden
Golden
Location: Obamanation:Socialist St of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, FDR, Wilson, Franken, Wellstone and Social Justice.

Post by PrideOnIce » Tue Jun 20 5:45 pm

Great move by USA hockey, it requires zero skill to dump the puck. Next up, eliminate touch up off-sides from bantams.
"My goal was to remind people that Americans talking about socialism in the 21st century was a luxury paid for by the successes of capitalism in the 20th. And that while inequality is a huge problem, the best way to increase everyone’s share of pie is to make the pie bigger, not to dismantle the bakery." - Garry Kasparov
Friedrich August von Hayek, 1899-1992 Milton Friedman 1912-2006
02/06/1911-06/05/2004

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Jun 20 5:52 pm

PrideOnIce wrote:
Tue Jun 20 5:45 pm
Great move by USA hockey, it requires zero skill to dump the puck. Next up, eliminate touch up off-sides from bantams.
USA HOCKEY contemplating this change is nothing new...IMPLEMENTING this change is whats NEW. (they were experimenting with this change as far back as 11 years ago in 2006 at the 16 & under National Player Development Camp in Rochester, NY)

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by team22tank » Tue Jun 20 10:01 pm

PrideOnIce wrote:
Tue Jun 20 5:45 pm
It requires a lot of skill to execute a power play breakout however. And skating/angling on a PK defense.

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Thu Jun 22 2:21 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jun 20 12:55 am
The argument is more about the length of ice 9 and 10 year olds have to skate in the 2nd period during a penalty kill.
What about the 3rd period?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jun 22 6:07 am

midevil bowievil wrote:
Thu Jun 22 2:21 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Jun 20 12:55 am
The argument is more about the length of ice 9 and 10 year olds have to skate in the 2nd period during a penalty kill.
What about the 3rd period?
What about it?
Doug Woog - 1990

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Thu Jun 22 12:00 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
imagine trying a line change in the 2nd period when you have to go to far bench.
I don't get it. Do you guys only play two periods?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jun 22 3:09 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:
Thu Jun 22 12:00 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
imagine trying a line change in the 2nd period when you have to go to far bench.
The first and third periods have short line changes during penalty kills because the goalie is in the net nearest the team bench. The second period (when the goalie is in the net on the opposite end of the rink) has a longer distance to change during a PK.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jun 22 3:32 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jun 22 3:09 pm
midevil bowievil wrote:
Thu Jun 22 12:00 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
The first and third periods have short line changes during penalty kills because the goalie is in the net nearest the team bench. The second period (when the goalie is in the net on the opposite end of the rink) has a longer distance to change during a PK.
:dup:
Doug Woog - 1990

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Fri Jun 23 12:53 pm

Bertogliat wrote:

I know that, but that's certainly not a factor for Squirts.

I don't really care one way or another about this rule. The kids can skate it out instead or they could also fire it down on net too.

J22
Golden
Golden

Post by J22 » Fri Jun 23 3:05 pm

midevil bowievil wrote:
Fri Jun 23 12:53 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

I know that, but that's certainly not a factor for Squirts.

I don't really care one way or another about this rule. The kids can skate it out instead or they could also fire it down on net too.
Have to disagree. The smaller/younger the player, the more the ice size is a factor.

midevil bowievil
Veteran

Post by midevil bowievil » Fri Jun 23 3:26 pm

I just meant that the young kids aren't going to switch on the fly during a penalty kill anyway. Unless the puck is iced. Anyway, I don't think the rule is good or bad, just different. My son has been playing defense this summer and loves sending that puck during the pk. He'll just have to figure something else out, the kids will have to work together to get to the red line. Or they can always still ice the puck too.

Grovetown Scotty
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Grovetown Scotty » Sat Jun 24 7:27 pm

Just dropped $300 for the latest CCM Supertack 2.0 stick. I think I could have bought twenty sticks for that price when I was in high school.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 283 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jun 25 12:02 am

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Sat Jun 24 7:27 pm
Just dropped $300 for the latest CCM Supertack 2.0 stick. I think I could have bought twenty sticks for that price when I was in high school.
You better score all.the.goals.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Jun 25 12:35 pm

Grovetown Scotty wrote:
Sat Jun 24 7:27 pm
I don't think I've ever paid more than $80 for a composite stick. I don't think an expensive stick would help my crappy shot.

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Wed Oct 11 9:59 am

It's that time of year again and tryouts are under way. My kid moved up to Peewees and our association has B1 and B2 teams. Haven't experienced this yet so just wondering how it works. Do some associations still only have B without splitting them up? And there is any cross over with the games. Will a B1 team play any B2 or B teams or just stay strictly at their level. I wonder if this is going to mean more driving to away games to find teams at the same level.

skiier32
Golden
Golden

Post by skiier32 » Wed Oct 11 10:16 am

Tiggsy wrote:
Wed Oct 11 9:59 am
It's that time of year again and tryouts are under way. My kid moved up to Peewees and our association has B1 and B2 teams. Haven't experienced this yet so just wondering how it works. Do some associations still only have B without splitting them up? And there is any cross over with the games. Will a B1 team play any B2 or B teams or just stay strictly at their level. I wonder if this is going to mean more driving to away games to find teams at the same level.
Second year Peewee and first time on a B2 team, he was a C last year. In my experience most associations in the metro have B2 teams. In District 8 most teams have a B2. I have been reaching out to a lot of associations in the south east and west metro to set up scrimmages already and they all have B2. The only time there might be cross over is when a tournament is a B vs B1 or B2.

Good luck to Tiggsy Jr!!

Tiggsy
Golden
Golden

Post by Tiggsy » Thu Oct 12 4:08 pm

skiier32 wrote:
Wed Oct 11 10:16 am
Tiggsy wrote:
Wed Oct 11 9:59 am
Second year Peewee and first time on a B2 team, he was a C last year. In my experience most associations in the metro have B2 teams. In District 8 most teams have a B2. I have been reaching out to a lot of associations in the south east and west metro to set up scrimmages already and they all have B2. The only time there might be cross over is when a tournament is a B vs B1 or B2.

Good luck to Tiggsy Jr!!
Thanks. To your guy as well!

Crazy that our association seems slow. We just formed the pools and have some scrimmages against a couple other associations until our teams get finalized. They were very clear there is still a chance to move down. I just wonder how many will move down from the A pool and cause a cascade effect through the B1 and B2. Hope he finds out soon. He was pretty nervous the first few days.

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Tue Oct 24 10:38 am

A friend of mine son is a Mite. And last week he was told he was a Mites 2. And for no apparent reason 3 days later was told he was going down to Mites 1. Her son kinda took it hard, but well be ok. She is just upset that she and her son know the possibilities of being a Mites 1 or 2. Though her son worked really hard even though he was one of the youngest kids he made the Mites 2 team. And like I said was told 3 days later he was going to be a Mites 1 for no apparent reason. Being that I didn't grew up playing hockey, is this normal in youth hockey. Or is something fishy here and some behind the scene back scratching is being done, even at the Mites level.
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice