NCAA Hockey 2021-2022 Season

Talk about College Hockey other than the Gophers...
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times

Re: NCAA Hockey 2021-2022 Season

Post by The Rube » Wed May 26 10:06 pm

Cowgirl:

Thought that might have been a pic from Rocky's in Calumet...
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNman
Rookie
Been liked: 4 times

Post by MNman » Fri May 28 8:59 am

Bale wrote:
Thu Apr 29 9:15 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Apr 29 6:50 am
fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Apr 28 11:19 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 10:39 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Apr 28 9:57 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 28 8:57 pm
Am I reading it correctly they are paying $4.6M for design?
If the Arena will cost $70,000,000, then a $4,600,000 Design fee isn't out of line.

If you use a percentage of construction cost based scale for a project this size and complexity...

3% for Architect
1.5% for Structural
1% for Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing
0.5% for Civil & Landscape
Total of 6% = $4,200,000 So some might be a touch higher, or other consultants (such as lighting or acoustic...)

It does still seem high though. I will give you that. However Steel is roughly double right now compared to what it was in 2019. With all that curtain wall, there is a LOT of steel in that building which is likely skewing the price.
This is not much bigger than some high school rinks in MN so they’re not designing a giant stadium I don’t think the designers need to be paid more just because the cost of steel went up. That’s just robbery.
High School rinks in MN aren't $70,000,000... I will ask someone tomorrow who worked on CC's rink what the design fees were. I can probably get a good ballpark. High school rinks don't have large video boards, huge curtain wall sections, a 2nd level of seating/concessions, etc. I think a HS Arena is a bad comparison. It'd be interesting to hear what the design fees for TRIA were. There are nice high school arenas, but not where near the level of design and detailing a facility like this would have. (CC's arena was in 2019, 3,400 seats and cost $50,000,000 to build - St. Olaf's new arena seats 804 and cost $8,000,000... Just completely different scales and costs)

Fees are high and construction costs are high. Without a doubt. but depending how many "value engineering" sessions, renderings, video walk-throughs, etc. it might be real. Its a catch-22. You need documents progressed pretty far to get good pricing information. If pricing comes in too high, then you need to pay your architect to re-do everything. It has been revised at least once. If someone is going this level of detail and rendering for presentations multiple times, there is some time involved.

The $7,000,000 for a 360 stall surface parking lot is staggering, something is wrong. $475,000 Design Fee for a parking lot? something is wrong here at multiple levels.

EDIT: For example, we had several projects very close to construction go on the shelf at the onset of COVID. They have come back alive, and as costs and market conditions have changed, clients are wanting to re-start and re-configure their projects. They are upset we want additional fee to do this work.
We already completed your earlier project... But we didn't build that... Yes, but we still did the work. Maybe this was nearly done, and then COVID hit and they decided to redesign and scale back the entire thing? Lots we don't know. But, yes, on the surface something is wrong.
I was comparing it to a high school rink only because the design of a similar size building shouldn’t have to utilize new engineering concept like you may see with an NHL or NFL sized buildings.

I understand it’ll still be much more design and expense, but $4M is a lot.
The dumbest part about it (from what I've heard) is they aren't going to play all their home games there. They are going to continue using their current arena for some (most?) of their conference games.
Or they could make the 30 minute drive to Hartford and play at the 15K seat XL Center.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 590 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon May 31 6:49 pm

Guy Gadowsky in the mix for Sabres job.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Jun 01 12:28 pm

As to RMU dropping hockey. The Board of Trustees appears to have some members (or ex-members in at least one notable case) that aren't happy, as they were never consulted:

https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2021/05/ ... oard-jp-dk
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Tue Jun 01 9:41 pm

What program will be the 7th MN Div 1 hockey team?
At this point there is enough, but who know's 5-10 years from now there may be another.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by GopherPete » Wed Jun 02 7:31 am

gopherfun83 wrote:
Tue Jun 01 9:41 pm
What program will be the 7th MN Div 1 hockey team?
At this point there is enough, but who know's 5-10 years from now there may be another.
ARCC, I hear they have the north metro recruiting locked down. :biggrin2:

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Wed Jun 02 9:26 am

This is probably quite a stretch but what about the SMSU Mustangs? A school of 8,718 makes it bigger than Bemidji and not much smaller than Duluth. HS hockey is continuing to grow in the SW corner of the state and while still behind the rest of the state it is much stronger than it was 3 decades ago. Again while the HS hockey needs to continue to grow and strengthen, as someone who is from that part of the state I can attest to the solid level of interest in the Wild, Gophers and other collegiate teams. But I don’t know how the people in charge at Marshall see the value of adding hockey. It’s obviously a hefty financial undertaking and they might see that the majority of college hockey fans in the area are gopher fans or fans of another regional team. But it would definitely be interesting to see a team pop up there. Would probably be like the Bemidji of the prairie.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 02 11:42 am

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Wed Jun 02 9:26 am
This is probably quite a stretch but what about the SMSU Mustangs? A school of 8,718 makes it bigger than Bemidji and not much smaller than Duluth. HS hockey is continuing to grow in the SW corner of the state and while still behind the rest of the state it is much stronger than it was 3 decades ago. Again while the HS hockey needs to continue to grow and strengthen, as someone who is from that part of the state I can attest to the solid level of interest in the Wild, Gophers and other collegiate teams. But I don’t know how the people in charge at Marshall see the value of adding hockey. It’s obviously a hefty financial undertaking and they might see that the majority of college hockey fans in the area are gopher fans or fans of another regional team. But it would definitely be interesting to see a team pop up there. Would probably be like the Bemidji of the prairie.
I would say they would be a long shot. If Marshall's fairly new arena was bigger, I think it holds around 1200 I think, the odds would go up. It would take big donor money, ( Schwan's) and most of Schwan's company is not locally owned anymore ( The family still owns the delivery part of the company). Runnings is growing and their corporate office is located in Marshall, but not sure what kind of money they have. There was a rumor a few years ago that Augustana ( Whioux Falls) was considering adding hockey, but have heard zero about that in the last few years.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by JC65 » Wed Jun 02 11:45 am

Didn't the NCAA change the rule allowing schools to 'play up' in a single sport? All existing D1 hockey programs got grandfathered, but there won't be any more.

That pretty much eliminates any of the other MIAC schools from ever going D1 for hockey.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 02 11:51 am

MSU Moorhead tried about a decade ago and couldn't get the funding in order. I think something in the Fargo-Moorhead area, either them or NDSU would probably be the most likely.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by gopher6 » Wed Jun 02 12:24 pm

How about Winona State,Augsburg,or Hamline as new MN Division 1 hockey schools

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Orion » Wed Jun 02 12:36 pm

Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 02 11:51 am
MSU Moorhead tried about a decade ago and couldn't get the funding in order. I think something in the Fargo-Moorhead area, either them or NDSU would probably be the most likely.
I would agree NDSU would make sense.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 02 12:54 pm

Orion wrote:
Wed Jun 02 12:36 pm
Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 02 11:51 am
I would agree NDSU would make sense.
And it would make my day when they get a guy Sue wanted.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Wed Jun 02 1:13 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Wed Jun 02 12:24 pm
How about Winona State,Augsburg,or Hamline as new MN Division 1 hockey schools
No chance to the D3 schools.

Winona State could if they pulled their entire program up to D1, but that is unlikely to happen. Would Northern Iowa go that direction? I could see Iowa State doing so before them.

In the region, I think NDSU or U of Whioux Falls might make the most sense. There is an outside chance that SDSU could make a push, but it would need a lot of resources from Whioux Falls to do so, and I think they would rather invest in basketball for a national exposure instead of hockey for a regional one.

Remember that college hockey is a very regional sport from an exposure perspective. You get way more back for a marketing buck simply by making the NCAA basketball tournament than even winning the NCAA Hockey title. The only reason for a school to invest in college hockey is to interest prospective students and alumni in the Upper Midwest, Michigan, or New England. Most D2/D3 MN schools don't have a problem attracting local students.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jun 15 10:20 pm

Interesting

:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 15 10:31 pm

Ever since Vegas got a team, everyone thinks they can do it, too. ;)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Jun 15 10:35 pm

That's my alma mater 👀

No idea how they plan to put an on-campus arena on that campus.

There's basically no room left unless they move the soccer field inside the football stadium and the track and field stuff into the football stadium too. Then they could theoretically use that land as a place for a hockey arena. But I doubt they'd do that. Would make a lot more sense to use Whioux Falls Arena (3 miles north of campus).
That is right next to where the football team used to play their home games before they built an on-campus stadium my senior year.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 16 5:16 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 02 11:42 am
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
I would say they would be a long shot. If Marshall's fairly new arena was bigger, I think it holds around 1200 I think, the odds would go up. It would take big donor money, ( Schwan's) and most of Schwan's company is not locally owned anymore ( The family still owns the delivery part of the company). Runnings is growing and their corporate office is located in Marshall, but not sure what kind of money they have. There was a rumor a few years ago that Augustana ( Whioux Falls) was considering adding hockey, but have heard zero about that in the last few years.
Maybe Bucci reads GPL :wink: This rumor has been around for many years around these parts. SF and the surrounding area really has embraced hockey over the past decade or so. The USHL Stampede regularly leads the league in attendance, and Luverne, about 30 miles away also has developed into a good program. Although SF has a nice new arena, they would have to build one as the Denny is always booked with Stampede, concerts, etc almost all of the time. That said, none of the local news has said a peep about this yet. Also, remember Bucci said Cruikshank was going to Boston College... :D

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 149 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Jun 16 7:15 am

St. Cloud State, men's hockey coach Brett Larson reach deal on seven-year extension

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Wed Jun 16 9:41 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 16 5:16 am
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jun 02 11:42 am
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Maybe Bucci reads GPL :wink: This rumor has been around for many years around these parts. SF and the surrounding area really has embraced hockey over the past decade or so. The USHL Stampede regularly leads the league in attendance, and Luverne, about 30 miles away also has developed into a good program. Although SF has a nice new arena, they would have to build one as the Denny is always booked with Stampede, concerts, etc almost all of the time. That said, none of the local news has said a peep about this yet. Also, remember Bucci said Cruikshank was going to Boston College... :D
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... Plans-.php
Augustana University, based in Whioux Falls, South Dakota, released a statement today confirming its plans to start a Division I hockey program. Its statement backed up media reports that leaked Tuesday night, though the school did not give a timetable.

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by MATT » Wed Jun 16 9:42 am

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 16 10:03 am

I was wondering how a school that small could be starting up a D1 Hockey program until I read the statement:

"Augustana is grateful to T. Denny Sanford for the lead gift to facilitate this extraordinary opportunity."

I honestly don't remember, what are the rules for a D2 school starting up hockey. Can they just play up to D1? I know new D3 programs can't.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 75 times

Post by Maize » Wed Jun 16 10:11 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 16 10:03 am

I honestly don't remember, what are the rules for a D2 school starting up hockey. Can they just play up to D1? I know new D3 programs can't.
Yes, because there is no D-2 national championship.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 16 10:15 am

Maize wrote:
Wed Jun 16 10:11 am
Steve MN wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation.

Edit: I figured this was the case, because it makes sense. However, as we're discussing NCAA rules "making sense" frequently seems to be a leading cause of things not being allowed. :mrgreen:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jun 16 11:06 am

Steve MN wrote:
I was wondering how a school that small could be starting up a D1 Hockey program until I read the statement:

"Augustana is grateful to T. Denny Sanford for the lead gift to facilitate this extraordinary opportunity."

They could almost call Whioux Falls T Denny Falls with all the cash and other stuff he has donated. He already has 1 statue in town, and maybe they could add a 2nd. Also, his "legal" issue must have disappeared.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 16 11:43 pm

Maize wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

I know Augustana is strongly considering jumping to D1 in all sports in the near future as well. Not really sure why but they've been talking about it for the last 2-3 years.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jun 17 7:57 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 16 11:43 pm
Maize wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

I know Augustana is strongly considering jumping to D1 in all sports in the near future as well. Not really sure why but they've been talking about it for the last 2-3 years.
More than considering. They announced 3 years ago they wanted to be there by 2030. I am honestly surprised they aren’t already as I figured they would have followed UND, SDSU and NDSU with football as I remember them playing them all when I was a kid.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/spor ... 745108001/
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri Jun 18 1:25 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Jun 17 7:57 am
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jun 16 11:43 pm
Maize wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

More than considering. They announced 3 years ago they wanted to be there by 2030. I am honestly surprised they aren’t already as I figured they would have followed UND, SDSU and NDSU with football as I remember them playing them all when I was a kid.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/spor ... 745108001/
They tried, but were not admitted to the same conference (which had an odd number) even though they had an application in for a year or so. St. Thomas, rather, got an invite and acceptance instead.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jun 24 12:07 pm

Not a huge surprise. There has been rumblings about it. Good luck Stu.

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Thu Jul 01 2:28 pm

So with the new ruling by the NCAA how do we think this will impact college hockey and the Gophers in particular?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jul 01 2:42 pm

Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Thu Jul 01 2:28 pm
So with the new ruling by the NCAA how do we think this will impact college hockey and the Gophers in particular?
Not just hockey but in general, I bet everything from merchandise to tickets get more expensive as the U will still need their cut but now also has to pay players.

I have mixed feelings about this. It’s college. You should be there to play for your school and get an education. Not become a millionaire. That being said, it is unfair for schools/whomever to be trying to make bank off a player’s name/image. It’s not fair to the kids who aren’t superstars though. I don’t think there is a fair option for everyone, but in the end it’s all about money. So yeah. Everything will just cost more.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 01 2:59 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 01 2:42 pm
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:
Not just hockey but in general, I bet everything from merchandise to tickets get more expensive as the U will still need their cut but now also has to pay players.

I have mixed feelings about this. It’s college. You should be there to play for your school and get an education. Not become a millionaire. That being said, it is unfair for schools/whomever to be trying to make bank off a player’s name/image. It’s not fair to the kids who aren’t superstars though. I don’t think there is a fair option for everyone, but in the end it’s all about money. So yeah. Everything will just cost more.
Just a question... Will some of the players get together with the U and have them make jerseys, shirts etc with their images on them to sell at the bookstore, Goldys etc? I'm sure shirts with Laffer on the front could sell, but who would share the cost on those? Would they split the profits? Also, will this signal the end of hockey schedules with any player on it? No more trading card give aways? Programs with players on them? Lots to sort out.

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Hammy » Thu Jul 01 3:11 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:

Schools won't be paying the athletes. This situation simply allows the athletes to profit off of their "name, image, and likeness" (NIL)

Public appearance opportunities, brand/product endorsement opportunities, paid autograph signings, etc.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 01 4:51 pm

There are a couple of websites that are now offering athletes money if they endorse their product/website. I see a disaster looming.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 01 5:00 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jul 01 4:51 pm
There are a couple of websites that are now offering athletes money if they endorse their product/website. I see a disaster looming.
What else will they pay those athletes for? And how do you now say AthleteX is truly getting paid for a legit endorsement and not just taking piles of cash from boosters? Boosters are just going to flow cash to athletes and this will have nothing to do with education.

The athletes will be paid to play. "Thanks for the book/shoe/card signing. Here is a new house for your mom and dad...." :wink:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 01 5:19 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 01 5:00 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
What else will they pay those athletes for? And how do you now say AthleteX is truly getting paid for a legit endorsement and not just taking piles of cash from boosters? Boosters are just going to flow cash to athletes and this will have nothing to do with education.

The athletes will be paid to play. "Thanks for the book/shoe/card signing. Here is a new house for your mom and dad...." :wink:
There are going to be a lot of free bar tabs in Grand Forks.... :D

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 01 7:57 pm

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jul 01 8:10 pm

Hammy wrote:
Thu Jul 01 3:11 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Rau4SkiUMah wrote:

Schools won't be paying the athletes. This situation simply allows the athletes to profit off of their "name, image, and likeness" (NIL)

Public appearance opportunities, brand/product endorsement opportunities, paid autograph signings, etc.
So players cannot profit from a university selling jerseys with a players name on the back?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 01 9:19 pm

There are some loopholes, I don't know the legalese, an example I heard is that someone can't give a Lamborghini to a student for "travel options to get their education" something like that. But............yeah, right.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jul 02 3:43 pm

Certainly in the category of "it was only a matter of time" but the Men's WCHA has officially shut down:

Composer
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by Composer » Sat Jul 03 9:40 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 01 9:19 pm
There are some loopholes, I don't know the legalese, an example I heard is that someone can't give a Lamborghini to a student for "travel options to get their education" something like that. But............yeah, right.
I wonder if players making money (in any sport, not specific to hockey here) might be more inclined to stay in college longer going forward…

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Sat Jul 03 11:21 am

Composer wrote:
Sat Jul 03 9:40 am
The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 01 9:19 pm
I wonder if players making money (in any sport, not specific to hockey here) might be more inclined to stay in college longer going forward…
I was wondering the same thing. I hope that is true. Maybe guys that would usually stay just two years now stay three. I hope that is the case.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 53 times

Post by thinkbui » Sat Jul 03 2:23 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Jul 02 3:43 pm
Certainly in the category of "it was only a matter of time" but the Men's WCHA has officially shut down:

Farewell WCHA Men. The last several years were just a coda and it really was the best D1 men's hockey conference of all time.

I'm sure there will be a lot of chest-beating about other conferences, but the most they will ever be able to claim is that they were just the best of their time.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Jul 04 7:26 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
One area I think will be a disaster is team/locker room unity. There will definitely be haves and have nots, I see jealousy, in-fighting and a much harder job for the coaches.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

Hammy
Veteran
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Hammy » Sun Jul 04 10:31 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Jul 04 7:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
One area I think will be a disaster is team/locker room unity. There will definitely be haves and have nots, I see jealousy, in-fighting and a much harder job for the coaches.
While I can’t say there’s no risk, I would point out that we’re already talking about a sport where some players are on essentially full ride scholarship while other guys are at 50% or less. There’s already a haves and have nots of sorts in college hockey and they seem to pull it together

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 04 10:49 pm

Hammy wrote:
Sun Jul 04 10:31 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Sun Jul 04 7:26 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
While I can’t say there’s no risk, I would point out that we’re already talking about a sport where some players are on essentially full ride scholarship while other guys are at 50% or less. There’s already a haves and have nots of sorts in college hockey and they seem to pull it together
Agreed. I do think this might extend a college career. The player might not be good enough to be pro, but will make bank as a collegiate, especially in non-major sports (think the non-Big Four).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jul 04 11:24 pm

Does anyone see this having the potential to cause a rift between players/in the locker room?

Star players making thousands (if not millions, being asked to promote a product); while others who have simply worked hard to get where they are with no fanfare getting nothing?

I don’t like it. This is not what college should be about.

Nor do I agree with schools/companies making bank off a player. I don’t know what the right answer is. I’m sure there isn’t one to please all, but I feel this is a step backward. The point of college is to get an education.

Kids should go elsewhere if their only goal is to become a professional athlete.

I hate how money grubbing we are as a society, and how advertising is king.

:rantonoff:

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Jul 04 11:58 pm

Like others said, there’s already discrepancies in how players are treated financially or even with playing time and roles (defensive shut down roles vs power play minutes etc).

Also the NCAA is a total racket that profits off free labor, if the balance of power shifts ever so slightly toward the players that people are paying to see it’s not exactly the end of the world.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 05 12:02 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 04 11:24 pm
This is not what college should be about.
But that is what it is, unfortunately.

Simply put, the players can actually make some money, while being exploited for the NCAA's use.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Jul 05 8:27 am

I knew the day of college athletes being paid was coming. I had come to accept that. But, they way they are doing this, is completely insane. I also know that there is no perfect solution. I blame the NCAA for not seeing this was going to happen some day, and not having some sort of a plan to please the athletes before all heck broke loose. I can't even put down a coherent thought about this in less than 1000 words, so I will summarize this as it sucks.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Vegoe » Mon Jul 05 4:12 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Sun Jul 04 11:58 pm
Like others said, there’s already discrepancies in how players are treated financially or even with playing time and roles (defensive shut down roles vs power play minutes etc).

Also the NCAA is a total racket that profits off free labor, if the balance of power shifts ever so slightly toward the players that people are paying to see it’s not exactly the end of the world.
I think there's always differences in economics for kids in college. Some kids play Hazeltine, Interlachen and Spring Hill... some play Stoneridge and Legends... and then some play Les Bolstad. I'm thinking we will see some minor booster like funds going to players at big schools, but mostly money will be going to influencers who probably should be getting some cash.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/ran ... rrenrovell

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 13 3:14 am

https://www.uscho.com/2021/07/12/michig ... expansion/

Michigan State receives $1.5 million donation from Harpell family for Munn Ice Arena expansion
Currently under construction.

JoeGopher
Rookie
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by JoeGopher » Tue Jul 13 2:13 pm

As far as the athletes getting paid for endorsements, likeness, image, etc., I can see maybe a couple in bouncy-ball and oval-ball that might make in the 6 figures for a specific endorsement. As far as hockey goes? I seriously doubt it will be anything beyond a local deal here and there. Just not enough exposure to go much beyond that.

Will it mean people stay longer? I doubt it. Entry level hockey deal is roughly $3.8M if they stay at the big club. Football and BBall are much higher than that for about half of the draft picks. They will never be able to make that amount of money in endorsements while in college.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Tue Jul 13 8:22 pm

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jul 15 7:16 am

Robert Morris might get hockey reinstated
https://www.uscho.com/2021/07/14/robert ... key-teams/

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 566 times
Been liked: 560 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jul 15 9:46 am

fwiw

Currently under construction.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jul 15 9:56 am

Time for the Gophers to invest in body armor.
:hahano:
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 15 11:48 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Jul 15 9:46 am
fwiw

The thing that makes me question this is why they would wait 2 years. When the B1G wanted PSU and Notre Dame, it happened overnight. Do they think making ASU play non conference games for 2 years is helpful in some way to either side? Can they not be bothered to play in the tiny Oceanside rink while the new arena is built?

I have to ask why they have a rink called Oceanside in Tempe AZ? :confused2:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 15 11:53 am

For what it's worth, I very much want to watch a Gopher game in this stadium (B1G or not). Golf by day and hockey by night...... :shock: I can taste the margaritas.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 21 6:46 am

Yikes

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jul 21 6:55 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jul 21 6:46 am
Yikes
Just give them the champy. The Gophers don't have a chance. From what I have been told in the past is that the team with the most 1st round picks are unstoppable per a certain GPLer. :wink: :D

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by streakygopher » Wed Jul 21 9:06 am

Michigan hasn't won a title since the 90s, but boy can they still recruit. There has been a lot of talent going through that team over the years.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 21 10:17 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Jul 21 6:55 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Jul 21 6:46 am
Yikes
Just give them the champy. The Gophers don't have a chance. From what I have been told in the past is that the team with the most 1st round picks are unstoppable per a certain GPLer. :wink: :D
I'm very excited to have Lucius coming in this year. I couldn't imagine the excitement to have 4 top ten (3 top 5) pick in one draft.

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Laxref » Wed Jul 21 10:27 am

One would think Mariucci will be packed when they come to town.

Rau4SkiUMah
Rookie

Post by Rau4SkiUMah » Wed Jul 21 10:56 am

Laxref wrote:
Wed Jul 21 10:27 am
One would think Mariucci will be packed when they come to town.
I was thinking thinking the same thing. Both the series at Mariucci and at Yost should be a lot of fun.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 23 1:36 pm

GLI going to showcase format and will not play in Detroit.
For 55 years, the Great Lakes Invitational took place over a couple days in downtown Detroit. The vaunted holiday tournament is now changing formats.

Instead of a tournament, the GLI will now be a "showcase," with two games each being played at Michigan and Michigan State. There will be no champion crowned for the first time.

Western Michigan and Michigan Tech are the other teams involved. WMU will play Michigan State on Dec. 29, with MTU playing at Michigan. WMU and MTU will then switch to the other venue on Dec. 30.

Waning attendance at the GLI in recent years, plus difficulty finding dates that work in the new Little Caesars Arena, have forced this decision.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 23 8:09 pm

SiouxFanatic
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by SiouxFanatic » Fri Jul 23 9:10 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Wed Jul 21 9:06 am
Michigan hasn't won a title since the 90s, but boy can they still recruit. There has been a lot of talent going through that team over the years.
Has to be nice having the USNTDP in their proverbial backyard.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 44 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Jul 24 11:03 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jul 23 8:09 pm
I believe the term “best college hockey team ever assembled” was tossed around which made me chuckle. If the best college hockey team ever placed 3rd in the big ten then we must be pretty darn good!😂

Magic
Rookie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Magic » Sat Jul 24 2:48 pm

Michigan is loaded. Five first rounders this year (Power, Beniers, Hughes, Johnson, and Samoskevich). ALSO two 1st rounders last year (Beecher and Brisson) and maybe their best player Bordeleau (last season 2nd rounder). And many believe their Swedish goalie (Portillo) is better than Straus Mann. For me its Minnesota and Michigan to win the Big 10 and it wouldn't shock me if both teams ended up in Boston in April

OkComputer
Rookie
Has liked: 3 times

Post by OkComputer » Sat Jul 24 11:58 pm

Is it assumed that all these guys will be playing in Ann Arbor this year? Edit: ie their NHL squad doesn’t call them up or prefer they go AHL.

JoeGopher
Rookie
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by JoeGopher » Sun Jul 25 6:59 pm

I am guessing that 2 of the top 4 (Powers, Beniers, Hughes, and Johnson) will take the pro contract and run. My money is on Powers and Hughes.

Regardless, even if those two did leave, Ugly Helmets will be a pretty damn good team this upcoming season.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jul 28 7:07 am

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 203 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jul 28 2:00 pm

Interesting. Still odd knowing I grew up with both MSU’s assistant coaches.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Jul 28 2:53 pm

My boss was just at the Blue Line Club golf tournament the other day and he got no vibes this was in the works. I don't blame Blue for wanting to get off the road, he has put in his time and his kid is getting old enough to be involved in things at school. This will give Hastings a chance to bring someone in to groom to be the assistant coach that takes over the spot that Todd Knott currently sits. Knott has been named for several jobs over the last couple seasons so he isn't long for the MSU program. The hire could be interesting this far into the summer though, most assistant coaches have made their choice but who knows?
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL