NCAA Hockey 2020-2021 Season

Talk about College Hockey other than the Gophers...
Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 50 times

Re: NCAA Hockey 2020-2021 Season

Post by Laxref » Fri Apr 09 5:40 pm

This tweet made me laugh

Kinda shows the difference in attitude between your average Midwesterner Vs Northeasterner, and I have to say, despite living in the Midwest my whole life, I fall in the northeasterner category, if it’s not the gophers I’m ALWAYS rooting for an eastern school.

gopheritall
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by gopheritall » Fri Apr 09 6:03 pm

I was all in for the Minnesota schools to win once the Gophers were out. Wisconsin, UND, and Michigan would be a different story.

I also totally understand why fans of St Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji wouldn't feel the same for the Gophers. That doesn't bug me.

Good luck St Cloud!

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Apr 09 6:14 pm

Personally, I can't cheer for the other MN schools with maybe the cows or Bemidji being the lesser of evils. Duluth is in North Dakota category as far as I'm concerned after dealing with their fans and even the f*** Oil Center usher acting like obnoxious pricks the one time I went to a game there (the icebreaker back in 2016 I think it was). Even the less obnoxious ones are whiny AF acting like you're supposed to be cheering for them out of some sort of MN unity when you know full well they wouldn't do the same if the roles were reversed. I know people get annoyed with BP's posts on here but he's probably one of their top 5 fans as far as I'm concerned.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Apr 09 7:59 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Apr 09 2:02 pm
Only 63. Super sad

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 09 8:57 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Apr 09 6:14 pm
Personally, I can't cheer for the other MN schools with maybe the cows or Bemidji being the lesser of evils. Duluth is in North Dakota category as far as I'm concerned after dealing with their fans and even the f*** Oil Center usher acting like obnoxious pricks the one time I went to a game there (the icebreaker back in 2016 I think it was). Even the less obnoxious ones are whiny AF acting like you're supposed to be cheering for them out of some sort of MN unity when you know full well they wouldn't do the same if the roles were reversed. I know people get annoyed with BP's posts on here but he's probably one of their top 5 fans as far as I'm concerned.
Ditto. I used to root for tUMD until they won their first title. Then they became obnoxious a-holes, felt they belonged to the blue bloods. Um, no.
SCSU fans have always been jackbags, no difference there, if they win a title this year.
MSU-M? Meh, don't mind them, really.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 09 9:03 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Apr 09 8:57 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
Fri Apr 09 6:14 pm
Ditto. I used to root for tUMD until they won their first title. Then they became obnoxious a-holes, felt they belonged to the blue bloods. Um, no.
SCSU fans have always been jackbags, no difference there, if they win a title this year.
MSU-M? Meh, don't mind them, really.
Same. In the old days, if the Gophers were eliminated I would switch to cheering for the Bulldogs. No more.

thinkbui
Veteran
Been liked: 48 times

Post by thinkbui » Sat Apr 10 1:42 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Apr 09 7:59 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Apr 09 2:02 pm
Only 63. Super sad
The second time in just under 20 years a sitting head coach has died too.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"
--Gopher Hockey Cheer Chicks, 27 April 2006

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Norm » Sat Apr 10 9:58 am

And it's still bugging me that Jan put up 5 goals against Kato while we never came close to scoring.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Apr 10 10:04 am

Norm wrote:
Sat Apr 10 9:58 am
And it's still bugging me that Jan put up 5 goals against Kato while we never came close to scoring.
We let them get ahead 2-0 and then we were f***. We lacked forward talent relative to the D talent.
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 451 times

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Apr 10 11:08 am

Norm wrote:
Anything can happen in a 1 game 'series' as evidenced by other game besides just UM-MSUM in the tournament. Does BSU smoke UW if they played a 2nd game? Are the Gophers consistently 5 goals better than UNO? People draw too much conclusion from small sample sizes and if the Gophers had played that game another date and time the outcome may have been completely different. s**t happens.
Currently under construction.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 325 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 10 1:23 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Apr 10 11:08 am
Norm wrote:
Anything can happen in a 1 game 'series' as evidenced by other game besides just UM-MSUM in the tournament. Does BSU smoke UW if they played a 2nd game? Are the Gophers consistently 5 goals better than UNO? People draw too much conclusion from small sample sizes and if the Gophers had played that game another date and time the outcome may have been completely different. s**t happens.
I don't think StL Blues are 13 goals better than the Avalanche, for example (StL 9, MN 1; MN 8, CO 3). :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Apr 10 5:25 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Apr 10 10:04 am
Norm wrote:
We let them get ahead 2-0 and then we were f***. We lacked forward talent relative to the D talent.
It's all about match ups. The Gophers can beat St. Cloud and the Beavers, but can't beat UMD or Mankato to save their lives. Hopefully next season things will be different.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 12 1:27 pm

Brutal. Collegehockeystats was the best site for stats
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Mon Apr 12 1:57 pm

Ouch. That's the one I always referenced too because it was so good and easy to use.

I know other sites have scoreboards, but is there another one that offers the same level of stats as they did? One of the followup tweets says that there's a new NCAA data system, but doesn't say if that system will have some kind of public website or other interface.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

If Wisconsin-Madison is the state's most prestigious university and the state itself is known as The Dairy State, does that mean UW is Bovine University?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 12 2:02 pm

I'm sure a donation drive to save that site would hit the target in less than an hour. Must be more to it than that.
Loserville, USA

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 541 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Apr 12 7:18 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 12 2:02 pm
I'm sure a donation drive to save that site would hit the target in less than an hour. Must be more to it than that.
Usually it is more... I am guessing that it is becoming more and more difficult to maintain the site. And you get to a point where you just don't have the will to maintain or even want to maintain the site anymore. Trust me... I know that feeling well.

Plus... He may not want to keep up the bare minimum anymore. The fact that the site is not secure is just not something you should do anymore. The lack of HTTPS is one of the reasons why I stopped using the scoreboard from that site.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 364 times
Been liked: 501 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Apr 12 7:45 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Apr 12 7:18 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Mon Apr 12 2:02 pm
Usually it is more... I am guessing that it is becoming more and more difficult to maintain the site. And you get to a point where you just don't have the will to maintain or even want to maintain the site anymore. Trust me... I know that feeling well.

Plus... He may not want to keep up the bare minimum anymore. The fact that the site is not secure is just not something you should do anymore. The lack of HTTPS is one of the reasons why I stopped using the scoreboard from that site.
He also said the new NCAA stats service had a part in his decision.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Apr 12 7:52 pm

I expect it to be a major loss to college hockey fans. No other sites strike me as similarly accurate and timely. On top of that the simplicity in the coding is a huge plus.
Loserville, USA

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 173 times

Post by D2D » Mon Apr 12 9:04 pm

I especially liked it to keep track of other games during intermissions and time outs at Mariucci. About a 100 times faster and up-to-date than the scores shown at the arena.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 171 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Apr 13 1:46 am

There was a time I used the site almost daily. The last 7-10 years? Almost not at all. A quick search gives you the data you want. Maybe you can’t get the data you don’t want that easily because enough don’t know it’s there, but in reality (the site was a amazing) how many people not hanging onto the past, go on there?
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 13 9:15 am

Your "quick searches" probably take longer than going to the site.
Loserville, USA

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 13 9:20 am

If you want to know a team's record when trailing after 1, where is your quick search? How about the other team when leading after 2 in conference games only? Shots per period? Shots per player? Team rankings in PP/PK/Goal difference?

Wherever you are going with your "quick search", I can guarantee it's not as efficient as collegehockeystats.
Loserville, USA

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Laxref » Tue Apr 13 10:54 am

Union released their sched for next season, looks like back to rhe traditional early October start and a full non-conference slate.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 13 3:44 pm

Per Todd Milewski, 3 Sr BADgers are set to return for bonus year.
The BADgers are poised to have a deep defensive corps next season because seniors Tyler Inamoto and Josh Ess are planning to return to the BADgers for a bonus season of NCAA eligibility, according to sources. Center Tarek Baker is due to join them.

thinkbui
Veteran

Post by thinkbui » Tue Apr 13 6:09 pm

I would hope something else takes College Hockey Stats' place or somebody else takes over. It has been such a great resource and it's departure would leave such a huge vacuum.

"Are you the LEGO guy?"

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Apr 14 8:13 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 13 9:20 am
If you want to know a team's record when trailing after 1, where is your quick search? How about the other team when leading after 2 in conference games only? Shots per period? Shots per player? Team rankings in PP/PK/Goal difference?

Wherever you are going with your "quick search", I can guarantee it's not as efficient as collegehockeystats.
Well, I can’t quite recall a time in my life where I required that level of detail to enjoy a hockey game.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Apr 14 8:15 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Apr 14 8:13 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 13 9:20 am

Well, I can’t quite recall a time in my life where I required that level of detail to enjoy a hockey game.
On second thought, since I don’t desire to know who has scored the most goals within a fortnight of the winter solstice after 8pm on a Saturday game AND I don’t attend games in person, I must not be a true fan. :roll:
Doug Woog - 1990

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 17 4:08 pm

Some news out of Michigan--
The Bruins aren’t expected to try to turn John Beecher pro this summer, suggests Mark Divver of the New England Hockey Journal (Twitter link). His sophomore campaign at Michigan came to an early end due to shoulder surgery and he was limited to just 16 games, recording four goals and four assists. Accordingly, it makes sense for Boston to want him to stay in college for another year although Divver indicated that if Beecher wants to turn pro, they will oblige that request

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 20 2:26 pm

UMD gets one Cates back and the seniors. SCSU and WMU bringing back pretty much all their guys including seniors. It will still be a battle for the Gophers to be best in MN. Top 10 will include
UMN
UM
SCSU
UMass
Mankato
UND
UMD

Some combination of WMU, DU, Harvard, BU, BC, some WCHA team that takes another step
Loserville, USA

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 20 3:05 pm

Seems odd that one brother signs as a free agent with the Flyers, and the other brother opts to not sign with the Flyers (who drafted him) and returns to school. :confused2:
Last edited by frozen4champs on Tue Apr 20 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times

Post by GopherPete » Tue Apr 20 3:29 pm

The old bait n switch

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 125 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Apr 20 3:43 pm

Per Bulldogs beat writer Matt Wellens tweet: Matt Anderson
Louie Roehl
Koby Bender
Kobe Roth

... and captain Noah Cates.

They're all coming back to the Bulldogs in 2021-22. So they
return their top 4 D (along with Kaiser & Kelley) and 3 of their top 6 forwards & 9 of their top 12 forwards & both goalies who started in 20-21.
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Tue Apr 20 4:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Apr 20 3:47 pm

GopherPete wrote:
Tue Apr 20 3:29 pm
The old bait n switch
Who do you think baited and switched?

Drafted Cates has a contract waiting for him in Philly. Older one was a free agent and struck while the iron is hot, and will be able to continue playing with his brother. This is not that crazy.
Loserville, USA

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Apr 20 3:54 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Tue Apr 20 3:47 pm
GopherPete wrote:
The old bait n switch

Drafted Cates has a contract waiting for him in Philly. Older one was a free agent and struck while the iron is hot, and will be able to continue playing with his brother. This is not that crazy.
EXACTLY. Noah was an All American in 19-20, but had a bit of a down year offensively in 20-21...plus he’s their Captain. Nice to have him back along with Kobe & Koby & Louie & Matt 👍

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Apr 20 4:01 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Apr 20 3:54 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
The old bait n switch

EXACTLY. Noah was an All American in 19-20, but had a bit of a down year plus is their Captain. Nice to have him back along with Kobe & Koby & Louie & Matt 👍
My guess is he was JOKING that Philly didn't know which Cates they signed, and the brothers pulled a fast one. ( wink wink) I did not read it as a sign of disrespect at either one of the Cates, the City of Duluth, and the Greater 218 area code. :wink:

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Apr 20 4:05 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Apr 20 4:01 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
The old bait n switch

EXACTLY. Noah was an All American in 19-20, but had a bit of a down year plus is their Captain. Nice to have him back along with Kobe & Koby & Louie & Matt 👍
My guess is he was JOKING that Philly didn't know which Cates they signed, and the brothers pulled a fast one. ( wink wink) I did not read it as a sign of disrespect at either one of the Cates, the City of Duluth, and the Greater 218 area code. :wink:
Just glad to have part of the band back together😊 It would be pretty tough to tell an undrafted senior whose played in 3 Frozen Fours & won 2 natties...who desires to return for a bonus year of eligibility...to kindly move along.

GopherPete
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times

Post by GopherPete » Wed Apr 21 7:24 am

frozen4champs wrote:
bearpaw28 wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
The old bait n switch

:dup:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 462 times

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Apr 21 12:14 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Tue Apr 20 4:05 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
bearpaw28 wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
GopherPete wrote:
The old bait n switch

Just glad to have part of the band back together😊 It would be pretty tough to tell an undrafted senior whose played in 3 Frozen Fours & won 2 natties...who desires to return for a bonus year of eligibility...to kindly move along.
Were they light on recruits this year or are they going to have a huge team with a bunch of players sitting out each week?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Apr 21 12:15 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 21 12:14 pm
Were they light on recruits this year or are they going to have a huge team with a bunch of players sitting out each week?
They are super light on legit forward recruits that can come in this year.
Loserville, USA

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Apr 21 1:10 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Wed Apr 21 12:15 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Apr 21 12:14 pm
They are super light on legit forward recruits that can come in this year.
Centers Kyler Kleven of Moorhead & Miami transfer Casey Gilling will be added to the 21-22 roster. Three forwards signed NHL contracts & one forward, Brady Meyer entered the transfer portal, so they’ll probably TBD add 2 additional forwards to the 21-22 roster & maybe 1 more D as grad transfer Matt Cairns is not returning, he’s a 3rd round Edmonton draft pick and will likely sign with them.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Apr 26 5:06 pm