NCAA hockey 2019-20 season

Talk about College Hockey other than the Gophers...
bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: NCAA hockey 2019-20 season

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu May 16 2:08 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Thu May 16 1:44 pm
What is to stop the U of M from producing its own broadcasts of a pre-game/post-game variety, and broadcasting them on its own social media outlets?

My guess is that the pregame/postgame shows don't add the value for a commercial network to make them profitable, and thus the U doesn't see the value for exposure either. But given the availability for tech, I blame FSN less than I blame the athletic department as it is something that athletic communications could produce and do.

On the other hand, I have grown tired of the pregame/postgame mantra, as it is always the same. Last night's interview with Karlsson after his (illicit) game winner against the Blues is the reason why-- a stale question is asked, and the canned, noncontroversial answer is given, then it is thrown back to the studio for more "analysis" which is less insightful and more stating the obvious.
Give me a break, what was Karlsson suppose to say? We cheated and we won? Blues got a bad break in OT, but it never should have got to OT. He basically said that both teams had chances & the refs missed things on both ends, I thought it was a pretty good answer (actually) under the circumstances...

Laxref
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Laxref » Thu May 16 2:17 pm

Stop w the “can’t find on Tv” excuse. If that’s you, how’s the Stone Age?

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu May 16 2:22 pm

Laxref wrote:
Thu May 16 2:17 pm
What :conf2: Do you have a READING comprehension problem?
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Thu May 16 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by trixR4kids » Thu May 16 2:23 pm

I don't blame FSN because they barely cover us anymore and I don't really blame BTN either because they cover the conference and not just us exclusively. But I'm not gonna pretend I don't vastly prefer the days where you had FSN covering the gophers because it was like the TV corollary to the Wally and Frank homer radio broadcast. I don't hate Mcleod as much as some here but he's no Frank or Wooger.

At this rate I'm glad most the games are even on TV because that was my main concern coming into the B1G. As far as i can tell the number of games being televised or streamed isn't all that different from what it used to be so it certainly could be a lot worse. But I'll admit to not feeling the same level of connection to the team that I used to.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu May 16 2:25 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Thu May 16 2:23 pm
I don't blame FSN because they barely cover us anymore and I don't really blame BTN either because they cover the conference and not just us exclusively. But I'm not gonna pretend I don't vastly prefer the days where you had FSN covering the gophers because it was like the TV corollary to the Wally and Frank homer radio broadcast. I don't hate Mcleod as much as some here but he's no Frank or Wooger.

At this rate I'm glad most the games are even on TV because that was my main concern coming into the B1G. As far as i can tell the number of games being televised or streamed isn't all that different from what it used to be so it certainly could be a lot worse. But I'll admit to not feeling the same level of connection to the team that I used to.
BINGO...that’s all I was alluding to with my original post. Once the BIG came into existence, FSN wasn’t going to be allocated enough games to make the same investment in the broadcast. The TV coverage was exceptional. It’s still Good, as good or better than any other college team has. Just not exceptional ☝️
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Thu May 16 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Thu May 16 2:28 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu May 16 2:22 pm
Laxref wrote:
I was referring to Bertogliat saying he knows people who give up after checking three different channels. My post had nothing to do with you, I have muted you and try to ignore most things you say.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu May 16 2:30 pm

Laxref wrote:
Thu May 16 2:28 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu May 16 2:22 pm
Laxref wrote:
I was referring to Bertogliat saying he knows people who give up after checking three different channels. My post had nothing to do with you, I have muted you and try to ignore most things you say.
😢 :lol:

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Thu May 16 2:31 pm

I just couldn’t care less what a umd fan thinks about anything gopher related.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Thu May 16 2:45 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:

On the other hand, I have grown tired of the pregame/postgame mantra, as it is always the same. Last night's interview with Karlsson after his (illicit) game winner against the Blues is the reason why-- a stale question is asked, and the canned, noncontroversial answer is given, then it is thrown back to the studio for more "analysis" which is less insightful and more stating the obvious.
Agreed, but the pregame was a good way to get to know the players.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 14 times

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu May 16 3:14 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu May 16 2:08 pm

Give me a break, what was Karlsson suppose to say? We cheated and we won? Blues got a bad break in OT, but it never should have got to OT. He basically said that both teams had chances & the refs missed things on both ends, I thought it was a pretty good answer (actually) under the circumstances...
Actually, yes. Being honest would have continued the controversy. And that is the point-- we instead got a completely predictable answer to the obvious question being asked.

Note I don't blame him for the answer, but my point is that TV without drama is boring. And postgame shows have become quite boring as a result because there is no drama. The reality is that they tend to be on simply because we are too lazy to change the channel or find something else to watch immediately after the game. The good ones are done as if they are taking the position of a diehard fan who is overly elated with a win, or overly dejected with a loss-- witness Wild whine line after a loss, for example. But too often they focus on getting canned responses from an even-keel coach or player. That's why Tortorella is popular, as is Frank Serratore-- you never know what tangent they will go off on.

Note that this does not change the fact that the U could produce their "Gophers live" if they wanted to. While I don't believe it is worthwhile, it doesn't mean I am not in the minority, however.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu May 16 3:17 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
What is to stop the U of M from producing its own broadcasts of a pre-game/post-game variety, and broadcasting them on its own social media outlets?

My guess is that the pregame/postgame shows don't add the value for a commercial network to make them profitable, and thus the U doesn't see the value for exposure either. But given the availability for tech, I blame FSN less than I blame the athletic department as it is something that athletic communications could produce and do.

Yes, this is so true. Rarely is the pre or post game show worth more than about 10 minutes of anything useful. And anything that WOULD be for Gopher fans, for example, would definitely be better done by the Athletic Department anyway.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu May 16 3:38 pm

We are talking apples 🍎 & oranges 🍊 NBC Sports & NBC do an outstanding job covering the NHL, and between FSN & BTN, nearly all Gopher games are televised. Any pregame or postgame done on social media would not be seamless, so I doubt how effective it would be...but who knows.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 132 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu May 16 4:22 pm

Buy season tickets and go to more games. Less times you have to worry about TV coverage. :D

Altho not trying to open another beat to death debate. :mrgreen:

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Handyman » Thu May 16 5:23 pm

I bet if you looked the ratings for those shows were crap (and the ad rates as well) unless it was a massively important game or something crazy happened. I doubt people cared most of the time.

And I am sorry but if people cant find the game on TV then they arent trying. It isnt like the TV situation is a new thing unless the game is on some obscure channel you should be able to check FSN and BTN in like 3 seconds to see if/when the game is on. And if you are so old school you cant do that look in the flipping paper it isnt like they dont tell you.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by sunbone » Thu May 16 7:12 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Thu May 16 12:02 pm
It's funny to see people get all butthurt about Bearpaw, I don't think he was trolling on this one and I actually kind of agree. BTN isn't nearly as dedicated to Gopher Hockey (nor should the be) or just MN hockey in general. Not to mention the play by play quality is way down. Yes Gopher sports sorta does half assed social media stuff but it's not nearly the same nor does it have the same reach.

Obviously the B1G and everything that came with it was gonna happen but we can be honest about it too.
I think he should be banned. Not for the content of his posts but for putting ☝️ this in virtually every post. It’s obnoxious.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 16 7:33 pm

Handyman wrote:
Thu May 16 5:23 pm
I bet if you looked the ratings for those shows were crap (and the ad rates as well) unless it was a massively important game or something crazy happened. I doubt people cared most of the time.

And I am sorry but if people cant find the game on TV then they arent trying. It isnt like the TV situation is a new thing unless the game is on some obscure channel you should be able to check FSN and BTN in like 3 seconds to see if/when the game is on. And if you are so old school you cant do that look in the flipping paper it isnt like they dont tell you.
Sorry, my dad isn’t going to search for the hockey game. And my buddy is just a casual fan and has 5 kids so if it takes more than a few minutes he’s onto other things.

Blame the viewers all you want. My point was just that is was better back in the day. I realize we are in a new era. They don’t. And it’s the U that loses.

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Goldy77 » Thu May 16 7:40 pm

Couldn’t even imagine texting a buddy and asking what channel they’re on if you can’t find it. Obviously some people don’t care that much if they watch the game or not.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu May 16 7:40 pm

I almost always just look at the schedule page on GPL to see when and where, I doubt most people are doing that.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Thu May 16 7:42 pm

sunbone wrote:
Thu May 16 7:12 pm
trixR4kids wrote:
It's funny to see people get all butthurt about Bearpaw, I don't think he was trolling on this one and I actually kind of agree. BTN isn't nearly as dedicated to Gopher Hockey (nor should the be) or just MN hockey in general. Not to mention the play by play quality is way down. Yes Gopher sports sorta does half assed social media stuff but it's not nearly the same nor does it have the same reach.

Obviously the B1G and everything that came with it was gonna happen but we can be honest about it too.
I think he should be banned. Not for the content of his posts but for putting ☝️ this in virtually every post. It’s obnoxious.
😂😂😂 well hopefully our favorite team regains that spot in a couple years :)
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 16 8:09 pm

Goldy77 wrote:
Thu May 16 7:40 pm
Couldn’t even imagine texting a buddy and asking what channel they’re on if you can’t find it. Obviously some people don’t care that much if they watch the game or not.
Are you new? Have you seen the attendance?

Most people don’t care that much.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Bonin21 » Thu May 16 8:53 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu May 16 11:27 am
One note on your signature, though... it's only been 5 years since the Gophers were in the championship game...
I don't say anything about championship appearances for the hockey team. No one likes second place. The appearances note about the big four shows how pathetic they are that they haven't even made it let alone won.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Goldy77
Veteran
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Goldy77 » Thu May 16 8:58 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 16 8:09 pm
Goldy77 wrote:
Thu May 16 7:40 pm
Are you new? Have you seen the attendance?

Most people don’t care that much.
Yes, tell me about it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 17 12:56 am

trixR4kids wrote:
It's funny to see people get all butthurt about Bearpaw...
Do you see dead people too?
Currently under construction.

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri May 17 4:00 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri May 17 12:56 am
trixR4kids wrote:
Oh yeah, it’s Mr. “Tonka won State rolling 4 lines evenly” poping up his head 😉 :lol:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 17 6:45 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri May 17 4:00 am
Slap Shot wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
Oh yeah, it’s Mr. “Tonka won State rolling 4 lines evenly” poping up his head 😉 :lol:
Voices in your head?

trixR4kids
Veteran

Post by trixR4kids » Fri May 17 11:59 am

Slap Shot wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
Bonin has been dead this whole time!? :shock:

AHABulldog
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Post by AHABulldog » Tue May 21 7:57 pm

RatherBeGolfing
Veteran
Been liked: 2 times

Post by RatherBeGolfing » Wed May 22 10:11 am

sunbone wrote:
Thu May 16 7:12 pm
trixR4kids wrote:

+1

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Wed May 22 5:22 pm

So, St Thomas got booted today, which means they will probably go D2, which means the hockey team will be D1??

bearpaw28
Veteran

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed May 22 5:31 pm

Laxref wrote:
Wed May 22 5:22 pm
So, St Thomas got booted today, which means they will probably go D2, which means the hockey team will be D1??
Doubt it... not sure what’s happening with the hockey team after 20-21

gopherfun83
Rookie
Has liked: 29 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Wed May 22 6:34 pm

St. Thomas hockey may be considering moving up to Division 1 again, another in state rival for the Gophers.
"The Tommies have looked at D-I before in hockey, once hiring a consulting firm. Again, another doable transition. There’s plenty of hockey talent to go around in the Twin Cities and beyond. They fit perfectly into the WCHA footprint. I’m sure Mankato, Bemidji and the Michigan schools wouldn’t mind another bus trip for games."
Kolpack: It's time to boot St. Thomas from MIAC to Division I | Duluth News Tribune
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.duluth ... on-i%3famp

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Thu May 23 5:33 am

In an era of declining attendance, no realistic home rink available, and the only viable home would be a conference with certain trips to Alabama and Alaska annually, I highly doubt the revenues would be able to justify the costs for UST to play D1 hockey.

The B1G and the NaCHo have no incentive to help them succeed, and the WCHA would only accept them to regain a toehold in the MSP market.

There's a reason the Toms didn't act on this before.

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu May 23 9:43 pm

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Thu May 23 5:33 am
In an era of declining attendance, no realistic home rink available, and the only viable home would be a conference with certain trips to Alabama and Alaska annually, I highly doubt the revenues would be able to justify the costs for UST to play D1 hockey.

The B1G and the NaCHo have no incentive to help them succeed, and the WCHA would only accept them to regain a toehold in the MSP market.

There's a reason the Toms didn't act on this before.
It really depends on if any alums want to throw enough money at them to do it. Without a big investment, it isn't feasible, but with enough money...no problem.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by The Rube » Thu May 23 10:03 pm

They may be able to start up, but would it be feasible in the long run? Anyone can start a business/program/whatever. It's a matter of is it possible to succeed?
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 24 1:51 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu May 23 10:03 pm
They may be able to start up, but would it be feasible in the long run? Anyone can start a business/program/whatever. It's a matter of is it possible to succeed?
There are dozens of Eastern schools of similar size doing it. And don't underestimate the financial prowess of this school.

I am not saying it's a no-brainer decision.for them to.move up, but if they can get enough donations for the start-up I have zero doubt they could manage it thereafter.

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri May 24 8:14 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri May 24 1:51 am
The Rube wrote:
There are dozens of Eastern schools of similar size doing it. And don't underestimate the financial prowess of this school.

I am not saying it's a no-brainer decision.for them to.move up, but if they can get enough donations for the start-up I have zero doubt they could manage it thereafter.
Sure, if Pegula shows up, even Crown College could have a successful D1 hockey program.

If UST is trying to bring their entire athletic department D1, that fundraising money will be spread around, meaning there is less just to build a hockey program. Even then, short of building a 6,000 seat rink in the Twin Cities just for Tom-a-Hockey, I don't see they could sustain a men's and women's program on a reasonably expected gate in the medium term. Funding 36 full scholarships (mens and womens) just for hockey better lead to a pretty good ROI to justify. I suppose they could play at the X in front of a 3/4 empty rink, but we see how that kills the atmosphere for Ohio State's program.

Contrast that to a basketball program, which can fund 24 scholarships (men and women) total and potentially get national exposure through March Madness. They could fully fund basketball for cheaper, get similar or more attendance (potentially using the Target Center as an arena), and their upside for revenue is far higher.

I suspect if UST had lined up a rich uncle whose money was burning a hole in his pocket they would not have been in a position of being kicked out of the MIAC-- they would have left of their own accord already. That is, unless, the kick-out plan was to set up a sympathetic appeal to get expedited D1 admission (instead of the defined 12-year process currently).

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 24 9:20 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Fri May 24 8:14 am
Slap Shot wrote:
The Rube wrote:

Sure, if Pegula shows up, even Crown College could have a successful D1 hockey program.

If UST is trying to bring their entire athletic department D1...
I don't see them doing that at all.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri May 24 9:26 am

I think UST could do well in D1 hockey fairly quickly being inside the 494/694 loop. I'd be more excited to watch games against them in ten years than any of the Big Ten opponents other than uw. I think there's a lot of money in that UST donation pipeline...
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri May 24 9:34 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Fri May 24 8:14 am
Slap Shot wrote:
The Rube wrote:

If UST is trying to bring their entire athletic department D1, that fundraising money will be spread around, meaning there is less just to build a hockey program. Even then, short of building a 6,000 seat rink in the Twin Cities just for Tom-a-Hockey, I don't see they could sustain a men's and women's program on a reasonably expected gate in the medium term. Funding 36 full scholarships (mens and womens) just for hockey better lead to a pretty good ROI to justify. I suppose they could play at the X in front of a 3/4 empty rink, but we see how that kills the atmosphere for Ohio State's program.

Contrast that to a basketball program, which can fund 24 scholarships (men and women) total and potentially get national exposure through March Madness. They could fully fund basketball for cheaper, get similar or more attendance (potentially using the Target Center as an arena), and their upside for revenue is far higher.

I suspect if UST had lined up a rich uncle whose money was burning a hole in his pocket they would not have been in a position of being kicked out of the MIAC-- they would have left of their own accord already. That is, unless, the kick-out plan was to set up a sympathetic appeal to get expedited D1 admission (instead of the defined 12-year process currently).
http://www.startribune.com/tommies-have-upgraded-both-on-off-football-field/102705464/

So $60M wasn't enough of a donation?

SkiUMahLaw
Golden
Golden

Post by SkiUMahLaw » Fri May 24 10:46 am

Considering Pegula made $102 million to Penn State, who already had D1 facilities in place as far as strength and conditioning, training table, etc......

No.

UST has great D2 facilities currently. I have seen what SDSU has done in Brookings in the last few years, and UST would need an upgrade again to get to that level. But why go D2 in all things but D1 in hockey? Where is their upside there?

It's not as though people flock to D2 sporting events, especially where there is no rivalry or connection previously built. So D2 is a total money-loser for UST. And if they are D1 in hockey also, they may take advantage of a fertile recruiting ground, but they still need an arena that can gain enough monetization to fund an entire athletic department, as they would be undertaking at least 56 scholarships (I am pretty sure the NSIC mandates at least 28 football scholarships, and Title IX) and that would be not even counting basketball as getting scholarships.

And again, hockey folks who enjoy hockey may watch them play at a D1 level. But they would need to maximize revenue, too, as they don't have the U of M resources to fall back on, and it would be balancing the entire athletic department on its back as far as revenue. If they are bad and people don't show up, they cannot rely on the resources of MNSCU or the U of M to bail them out.

UST has land problems (neighbors around the St. Paul campus won't let them expand, and downtown Mpls land isn't cheap) also when you talk about facilities.

I think the better business decision would be to go D1 Patriot League (nonscholarship in all things other than basketball).

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri May 24 11:08 am

SkiUMahLaw wrote:
Fri May 24 10:46 am
Considering Pegula made $102 million to Penn State, who already had D1 facilities in place as far as strength and conditioning, training table, etc......

No.

UST has great D2 facilities currently. I have seen what SDSU has done in Brookings in the last few years, and UST would need an upgrade again to get to that level. But why go D2 in all things but D1 in hockey? Where is their upside there?

It's not as though people flock to D2 sporting events, especially where there is no rivalry or connection previously built. So D2 is a total money-loser for UST. And if they are D1 in hockey also, they may take advantage of a fertile recruiting ground, but they still need an arena that can gain enough monetization to fund an entire athletic department, as they would be undertaking at least 56 scholarships (I am pretty sure the NSIC mandates at least 28 football scholarships, and Title IX) and that would be not even counting basketball as getting scholarships.

And again, hockey folks who enjoy hockey may watch them play at a D1 level. But they would need to maximize revenue, too, as they don't have the U of M resources to fall back on, and it would be balancing the entire athletic department on its back as far as revenue. If they are bad and people don't show up, they cannot rely on the resources of MNSCU or the U of M to bail them out.

UST has land problems (neighbors around the St. Paul campus won't let them expand, and downtown Mpls land isn't cheap) also when you talk about facilities.

I think the better business decision would be to go D1 Patriot League (nonscholarship in all things other than basketball).
I bet UST has better facilities than MSU does here in Mankato. Blakeslee is a toilet bowl of a stadium for football.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Handyman » Fri May 24 12:18 pm

The Rube wrote:
If they find a place to play that is up to date they could be fine. They have a ridiculous endowment so the scholarships wont kill them either.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri May 24 12:57 pm

Exactly. People are underestimating the dough...

Bale
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Bale » Fri May 24 3:38 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Fri May 24 11:08 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:

No.

I bet UST has better facilities than MSU does here in Mankato. Blakeslee is a toilet bowl of a stadium for football.

while that's true....Taylor Center is a gem in D2.

Bale
Veteran

Post by Bale » Fri May 24 3:39 pm

The bigger question is whether they would be allowed to go D2 in all sports and D1 in hockey. I was under the impression that the schools that are set up like that were grandfathered in, but if anyone new wanted to go D1 in hockey they had to be a full time D1 school.

I could be wrong about that, but I seem to recall that being the case.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Viking » Fri May 24 5:36 pm

Bale wrote:
Fri May 24 3:39 pm
The bigger question is whether they would be allowed to go D2 in all sports and D1 in hockey. I was under the impression that the schools that are set up like that were grandfathered in, but if anyone new wanted to go D1 in hockey they had to be a full time D1 school.

I could be wrong about that, but I seem to recall that being the case.
My understanding was that you could only play up 1 division higher and I believe in only 1 sport per gender. The schools grandfathered in are D3 playing up to D1.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

gopherfun83
Rookie

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat May 25 12:31 am

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri May 24 9:26 am
I think UST could do well in D1 hockey fairly quickly being inside the 494/694 loop. I'd be more excited to watch games against them in ten years than any of the Big Ten opponents other than uw. I think there's a lot of money in that UST donation pipeline...
It would be fun to have another D1 school in the Twin Cities metro. There is so much great high school hockey in this state, it's truly amazing. There sure is enough talent. I really hope they find a way to make the transition in the next few years. In the end if it's good for MN hockey that's the main thing.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 8 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat May 25 12:38 am

gopherfun83 wrote:
Sat May 25 12:31 am
Bonin21 wrote:
Fri May 24 9:26 am
It would be fun to have another D1 school in the Twin Cities metro. There is so much great high school hockey in this state, it's truly amazing. There sure is enough talent. I really hope they find a way to make the transition in the next few years. In the end if it's good for MN hockey that's the main thing.
I know it’s just UST but I don’t think gopher hockey needs anything more to compete against for attendance.

gopherfun83
Rookie

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat May 25 12:57 am

I know it’s just UST but I don’t think gopher hockey needs anything more to compete against for attendance.
[/quote]
Very true, I'm also hoping the big standing room only crowds return and the Gopher's are back to championship hockey soon!

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by g-manpuck » Sat May 25 12:20 pm

Bale wrote:
Fri May 24 3:38 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Fri May 24 11:08 am
SkiUMahLaw wrote:

No.

while that's true....Taylor Center is a gem in D2.
Yes, for everything that is wrong with The Blake the Taylor Center has done it right.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Tue May 28 4:19 pm

Fighting Who get former goalie back as assistant coach
https://www.uscho.com/2019/05/28/goehri ... tant-coach

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by JWG » Tue May 28 4:28 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Tue May 28 4:19 pm
Karl is the Apple Valley native who backstopped Apple Valley to the state title in 1996 including the marathon sem-final against Duluth East where AV knocked out our own Dave Spehar in the 5th overtime - albeit with controversey over a missed goal that went through the net (supposedly).

He was small for a goalie (5'8"), but effective.
JWG
[This space for rent]

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by team22tank » Tue May 28 4:43 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue May 28 4:28 pm
gopher6 wrote:
Karl is the Apple Valley native who backstopped Apple Valley to the state title in 1996 including the marathon sem-final against Duluth East where AV knocked out our own Dave Spehar in the 5th overtime - albeit with controversey over a missed goal that went through the net (supposedly).

Won a National Champtionship with UND as well in 2000. Put up a.927 which was incredible back then. Very small goalie, extremely athletic and agile.

For the Duluth East game. Duluth did score, it is acknowledged by everyone. Puck went top shelf off the bar in the back of the net and came out. No reply back then obviously.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue May 28 4:53 pm

JWG wrote:
Tue May 28 4:28 pm
gopher6 wrote:

A slight 5’8” at best. A tiny gal.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Bladepuller » Tue May 28 9:37 pm

Also a very good student.
The joke back then was Deano got him to help keep some of his not such good students eligible.
Now that is funny, having to find a way to keep kids eligible at UND.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by george » Tue May 28 10:23 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Tue May 28 9:37 pm
The joke back then was Deano got him to help keep some of his not such good students eligible.
His brother, also a goalie, went to the U. Woog told him he couldn't be an engineering student and play DI hockey. The dad (who I worked with) was pi$$ed about that.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue May 28 10:31 pm

george wrote:
Tue May 28 10:23 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
His brother, also a goalie, went to the U. Woog told him he couldn't be an engineering student and play DI hockey. The dad (who I worked with) was pi$$ed about that.
If true it is likely because the labs would interfere with practice and vice versa. Physics/chem/bio labs all seem to be in the afternoons.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue May 28 11:46 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
I highly doubt it. Went to UND 97-98 and had a freshman hockey player in my Comp 101 class. He showed up on the first day and the last day, didn’t write much in his Blue Book while taking the final and turned it in. I am sure he got a B in the class and I don’t even know who it was, if that gives you any idea how insignificant he was with UND hockey.

They have no problem getting passing grades up there.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Bladepuller » Wed May 29 12:44 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue May 28 11:46 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
I highly doubt it. Went to UND 97-98 and had a freshman hockey player in my Comp 101 class. He showed up on the first day and the last day, didn’t write much in his Blue Book while taking the final and turned it in. I am sure he got a B in the class and I don’t even know who it was, if that gives you any idea how insignificant he was with UND hockey.

I was being sarcastic.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Butters Stotch
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Butters Stotch » Wed May 29 3:59 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:

Probably Mike Commodore.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed May 29 9:36 pm

Butters Stotch wrote:
Wed May 29 3:59 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:

Probably Mike Commodore.
Nope, didn’t have red hair.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed May 29 10:26 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed May 29 9:36 pm
Butters Stotch wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:

Probably Mike Commodore.
How many toes did he have? And how far could he throw a lawnmower?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu May 30 9:00 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed May 29 10:26 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed May 29 9:36 pm
Butters Stotch wrote:
MNGophers29 wrote:
Bladepuller wrote:

Probably Mike Commodore.
How many toes did he have? And how far could he throw a lawnmower?
:lol: Unfortunately, my time there predates those pioneers!
Doug Woog - 1990

Bale
Veteran

Post by Bale » Thu May 30 11:12 am

College hockey in Alaska is not healthy. UAA announced yesterday they are moving their games back on campus. The arena on campus is 750 seats, but they are renovating to 2500 by the 2020-2021 season.
https://www.uscho.com/2019/05/29/fiannc ... s-complex/

Fairbanks just announced that they are going to stay in their current arena, but will be moving back on campus in 2 years. The current capacity of "The Patty" is 1047, but there is a league requirement to be at 2500.
https://www.uscho.com/2019/03/15/alaska ... ty-center/

I really think we are going to see some contraction at some point. It just doesn't seem sustainable long-term.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by JWG » Thu May 30 4:29 pm

Those schools are not close to each other. I wonder shich school wins out if one has to fold. And if it matters.
Only having one won't change attendance or interest in the other I don't htink. It's not like these schools are close to each other and it's a matter of choosing one. I'm not driving from/to Fairbanks/Anchorage on a regular basis to watch a hockey game.
JWG
[This space for rent]

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu May 30 9:50 pm

From what I hear, Fairbanks would win out.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Laxref
Golden
Golden

Post by Laxref » Thu May 30 11:19 pm

They should play a best-of-7 for survival.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 31 10:16 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu May 30 9:50 pm
Good. F*** Donald and Suze. :mrgreen: :wink:

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by george » Fri May 31 12:57 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri May 31 10:16 am
The Rube wrote:
Well that's hard to argue with. Is Donald still alive? When I was last on USCHO it seemed he was fighting cancer, or other serious ailment.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri May 31 3:34 pm

george wrote:
Fri May 31 12:57 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Fri May 31 10:16 am
The Rube wrote:
Well that's hard to argue with. Is Donald still alive? When I was last on USCHO it seemed he was fighting cancer, or other serious ailment.
Well that kind of dampers the enthusiasm for my disdain. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri May 31 8:59 pm

Never had an issue with Suze. Donald, on the other hand....but yeah, I don't wish ill on him.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by D2D » Fri May 31 11:25 pm

Good article on the improvement of U.S. born players on the national stage, aided largely by the recent resurgence of the NTDP. Unfortunately no mention of any Gopher players...what if anything should Gopher fans make of this???

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26850271/welcome-golden-age-american-hockey-talent

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri May 31 11:30 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri May 31 8:59 pm
Never had an issue with Suze. Donald, on the other hand....but yeah, I don't wish ill on him.
Donald was a real piece of work...don't know what happened to him, but happy to never have an interaction with him again.

maroon_and_gold
Veteran
Been liked: 8 times

Post by maroon_and_gold » Sat Jun 01 12:08 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri May 31 11:25 pm
Good article on the improvement of U.S. born players on the national stage, aided largely by the recent resurgence of the NTDP. Unfortunately no mention of any Gopher players...what if anything should Gopher fans make of this???

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26850271/welcome-golden-age-american-hockey-talent
Link doesn’t work. Also Chaz Lucius is going there next year with his brother likely to follow the year after. Luke Mittelstadt denied an invite as well.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Steve MN » Sat Jun 01 12:35 pm

maroon_and_gold wrote:
Sat Jun 01 12:08 pm
D2D wrote:
Fri May 31 11:25 pm

Link doesn’t work. Also Chaz Lucius is going there next year with his brother likely to follow the year after. Luke Mittelstadt denied an invite as well.
The link is fine, you need to copy/paste because ESPN refuses to get with the modern internet and use a secure site. The board software GPL uses doesn't hotlink non-secure sites.

Keep up the good fight, Jup, the 'Net needs to get more secure.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"