Movies

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Dec 14 3:01 am

I can't wait for JW4.

:roll:
Currently under construction.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sat Dec 14 8:14 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Dec 14 3:01 am
I can't wait for JW4.

:roll:
Given the ending of 3, it'll probably happen. And it'll probably be just one big fight scene, and the de-evolution will be complete.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1899
Joined: Wed Feb 16 11:09 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Movies

Post by F Da Sue » Wed Dec 18 1:35 pm

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker with a 57% rating on rotten tomatoes.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14993
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 432 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Jupiter » Wed Dec 18 1:38 pm

I do not care about the reviews... I am jacked to go tomorrow.
49179F09-3A08-4B22-B053-14F165D39F1B.jpeg

User avatar
solar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Feb 01 5:33 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 9 times
Age: 50

Re: Movies

Post by solar » Wed Dec 18 1:39 pm

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker could have 0% on RT, and I would still go.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Movies

Post by JC65 » Wed Dec 18 2:50 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Wed Dec 18 1:35 pm
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker with a 57% rating on rotten tomatoes.
Wow, that's the Critics Score? I had assumed it was a bunch of gamergaters giving it 1 star because it has women in it or something.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Dec 18 3:35 pm

Tickets booked in Bangkok for 4DX which means moving/vibrating chairs, scents, air flow, and other enhancements depending upon the movie.

I go in with 0 expectations and with 0 spoilers outside the official trailers. I figure it can't be worse than 7 & 8 which means it will be worth it.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Vegasgopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2067
Joined: Mon Nov 27 9:25 am
Location: Ft. Myers Beach, FL
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 113 times
Age: 52

Re: Movies

Post by Vegasgopher » Wed Dec 18 4:57 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Dec 13 9:29 pm
John Wick 3: Parabellum

John Wick is on the run after killing a member of the international assassin's guild, and with a $14 million price tag on his head, he is the target of hit men and women everywhere.

This series started out with substance with some really creative action sequences. Since then, the balance has been leaning towards more action than substance, and this is one is more like the Crank franchise. While enjoyable, they could have eased up on the Michael Bay-ness. I recommend the Jumbo Popcorn size for this installment.
I loved the first one, was super excited for 2 and it didn't do much, hoping for a comeback on 3...

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 18 9:10 pm

Got tix for the new Star Wars. Sun morn, 10:30am at West End. As of last night, about 5 tix sold (and 2 were a friend and me). $5.25 per ticket (sweet!). I have avoided ALL trailers, spoilers, hints, small talk, etc about it. I am pumped to see it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3124
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Movies

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Dec 18 9:14 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Dec 18 9:10 pm
Got tix for the new Star Wars. Sun morn, 10:30am at West End. As of last night, about 5 tix sold (and 2 were a friend and me). $5.25 per ticket (sweet!). I have avoided ALL trailers, spoilers, hints, small talk, etc about it. I am pumped to see it.
We’re taking our 15 yr old nephew Sunday afternoon at the Lagoon. Tickets are on the frig!

I’m excited. I’ve seen the trailers but have avoided the rest.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10367
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Movies

Post by Zwak » Wed Dec 18 10:26 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Dec 18 3:35 pm
Tickets booked in Bangkok for 4DX which means moving/vibrating chairs, scents, air flow, and other enhancements depending upon the movie.

I go in with 0 expectations and with 0 spoilers outside the official trailers. I figure it can't be worse than 7 & 8 which means it will be worth it.
Darth Vader is Luke’s father.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Movies

Post by Bonin21 » Wed Dec 18 10:29 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Dec 18 10:26 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Dec 18 3:35 pm
Tickets booked in Bangkok for 4DX which means moving/vibrating chairs, scents, air flow, and other enhancements depending upon the movie.

I go in with 0 expectations and with 0 spoilers outside the official trailers. I figure it can't be worse than 7 & 8 which means it will be worth it.
Darth Vader is Luke’s father.
wtf man
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 18 10:47 pm

Luke made out with his sister.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9989
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Movies

Post by davescharf » Wed Dec 18 11:11 pm

I’m nit going until the 27th but I’m still jacked to seeit
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Dec 19 2:29 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Dec 18 10:26 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Dec 18 3:35 pm
Tickets booked in Bangkok for 4DX which means moving/vibrating chairs, scents, air flow, and other enhancements depending upon the movie.

I go in with 0 expectations and with 0 spoilers outside the official trailers. I figure it can't be worse than 7 & 8 which means it will be worth it.
Darth Vader is Luke’s father.
When did this happen!?!?!?
Currently under construction.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29031
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times
Age: 32

Re: Movies

Post by Beauner » Thu Dec 19 7:34 am

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Dec 18 1:38 pm
I do not care about the reviews... I am jacked to go tomorrow.

49179F09-3A08-4B22-B053-14F165D39F1B.jpeg
I'm going Saturday morning. I'm really excited.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19757
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 987 times
Been liked: 670 times
Age: 54

Re: Movies

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Dec 19 8:02 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Dec 19 2:29 am
Zwak wrote:
Wed Dec 18 10:26 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Dec 18 3:35 pm
Tickets booked in Bangkok for 4DX which means moving/vibrating chairs, scents, air flow, and other enhancements depending upon the movie.

I go in with 0 expectations and with 0 spoilers outside the official trailers. I figure it can't be worse than 7 & 8 which means it will be worth it.
Darth Vader is Luke’s father.
When did this happen!?!?!?
A long time ago.
In a galaxy far, far, away.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Movies

Post by george » Thu Dec 19 8:43 am

davescharf wrote:
Wed Dec 18 11:11 pm
I’m nit going until the 27th but I’m still jacked to seeit
I haven't been excited for a Star Wars since the third one. But our financial advisor's office is having a free showing with breakfast Saturday morning so all 3of us are going (if my son can get up in time after skating a 9:30 ice time Friday night).

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Movies

Post by JC65 » Thu Dec 19 9:39 am

george wrote:
Thu Dec 19 8:43 am
davescharf wrote:
Wed Dec 18 11:11 pm
I’m nit going until the 27th but I’m still jacked to seeit
I haven't been excited for a Star Wars since the third one. But our financial advisor's office is having a free showing with breakfast Saturday morning so all 3of us are going (if my son can get up in time after skating a 9:30 ice time Friday night).
I need a new financial advisor.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Movies

Post by george » Thu Dec 19 9:46 am

JC65 wrote:
Thu Dec 19 9:39 am
george wrote:
Thu Dec 19 8:43 am
davescharf wrote:
Wed Dec 18 11:11 pm
I’m nit going until the 27th but I’m still jacked to seeit
I haven't been excited for a Star Wars since the third one. But our financial advisor's office is having a free showing with breakfast Saturday morning so all 3of us are going (if my son can get up in time after skating a 9:30 ice time Friday night).
I need a new financial advisor.
PM sent.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8868
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Movies

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Dec 19 10:13 am

JC65 wrote:
Thu Dec 19 9:39 am
george wrote:
Thu Dec 19 8:43 am
davescharf wrote:
Wed Dec 18 11:11 pm
I’m nit going until the 27th but I’m still jacked to seeit
I haven't been excited for a Star Wars since the third one. But our financial advisor's office is having a free showing with breakfast Saturday morning so all 3of us are going (if my son can get up in time after skating a 9:30 ice time Friday night).
I need a new financial advisor.
Same here.

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7851
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times
Age: 102
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by JWG » Thu Dec 19 12:50 pm

The worse the critics reviews, the more I'll probalby like it. Excited to see it Saturday.
JWG
[This space for rent]

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Thu Dec 19 9:10 pm

The Upside:

About a billionaire quadriplegic (Bryan Cranston) and his caregiver (Kevin Hart). Fish out of water/buddy movie. Cliched, stereotyped, etc, but I enjoyed it, due to the chemistry between Cranston and Hart. It's a straight up feel-good movie, and I didn't mind that. Some genuine funny moments, and some genuinely touching moments. I would recommend it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Movies

Post by george » Fri Dec 20 10:14 am

Dear Lord, the early reviews of the Cats movie are hilarious. Sounds like it'll be a huge bomb. I enjoyed the live musical but have no interest in paying money to see this mess.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3124
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Movies

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Dec 20 11:22 am

george wrote:
Fri Dec 20 10:14 am
Dear Lord, the early reviews of the Cats movie are hilarious. Sounds like it'll be a huge bomb. I enjoyed the live musical but have no interest in paying money to see this mess.
“ Cats is a DOG of a movie”. That one is my favorite :lol:
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Movies

Post by george » Sat Dec 21 3:34 pm

george wrote:
Thu Dec 19 8:43 am
davescharf wrote:
Wed Dec 18 11:11 pm
I’m nit going until the 27th but I’m still jacked to seeit
I haven't been excited for a Star Wars since the third one. But our financial advisor's office is having a free showing with breakfast Saturday morning so all 3of us are going (if my son can get up in time after skating a 9:30 ice time Friday night).
They had two screens reserved for this, coffee and rolls. Went off well and I was entertained. Wasn't ZOOMGTHE BESTeSTEVA, but I was kept awake through it. :wink:

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 29031
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times
Age: 32

Re: Movies

Post by Beauner » Sat Dec 21 4:01 pm

Just got home from Rise of Skywalker.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really liked the little plot twist they threw in. Well done. Critics be damned.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3409
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 211 times

Re: Movies

Post by Karlsson » Sat Dec 21 4:45 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sat Dec 21 4:01 pm
Just got home from Rise of Skywalker.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Really liked the little plot twist they threw in. Well done. Critics be damned.
It's fun. Needs more Lando.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Dec 21 7:44 pm

Way, way better than 8, still better than 7, and Top 5 or 6 overall. JJ could have absolutely crushed it though were it not for having to erase the abomination of 8.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 22 6:00 pm

The Rise Of Skywalker:

Fitting end to the series of movies. I thoroughly enjoyed it.



And WW84 (the Wonder Woman sequel) looks kick-ass.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
solar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Feb 01 5:33 pm
Location: Minneapolis
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 9 times
Age: 50

Re: Movies

Post by solar » Mon Dec 23 8:31 am

Really enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker, a few items I felt could have been changed, but nothing that got in the way of my family totally enjoying the finale.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Dec 23 12:49 pm

The Rise of Skywalker. Liked it, but didn't love it. My opinion of it was probably higher immediately following the movie. Now that I've had a couple of days to process it, there were too many McGuffins and plot holes that are bothering me. Then again, that's pretty standard for Star Wars movies, so maybe I'm overthinking it. It was entertaining, and I guess that's all that really matters.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7879
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Movies

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Dec 23 10:25 pm

I watched return of the Jedi last night (I have seen it before but 4-6 were all on last weekend so I recorded them as its been awhile since I’d seen them). I still haven’t seen any past that one. Hoping they’ll come out with a complete box set sometime as this series is supposed to be finished.....?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Mon Dec 23 10:43 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 23 10:25 pm
I watched return of the Jedi last night (I have seen it before but 4-6 were all on last weekend so I recorded them as its been awhile since I’d seen them). I still haven’t seen any past that one. Hoping they’ll come out with a complete box set sometime as this series is supposed to be finished.....?
lolololololol

Actually they have box sets, it's a matter of which version you want. They don't have the ORIGINAL non-added footage to the first three movies, AFAIK, so blech to that.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7879
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Movies

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Dec 23 11:00 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 23 10:43 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 23 10:25 pm
I watched return of the Jedi last night (I have seen it before but 4-6 were all on last weekend so I recorded them as its been awhile since I’d seen them). I still haven’t seen any past that one. Hoping they’ll come out with a complete box set sometime as this series is supposed to be finished.....?
lolololololol

Actually they have box sets, it's a matter of which version you want. They don't have the ORIGINAL non-added footage to the first three movies, AFAIK, so blech to that.
You like the added footage or no? I noticed some stuff in the movie that couldn’t have been in the original (I don’t remember for sure, it’s been 13 years since I watched 4-6).

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Mon Dec 23 11:31 pm

I want the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL footage. I think there were two stages of added footage, and the first stage, shrug, ok, I'll accept it, but not prefer it. I think they added more after that, though.

I want what I saw as a kid in the theaters.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6410
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 74 times
Age: 47

Re: Movies

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Dec 24 5:00 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 23 11:31 pm
I want the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL footage. I think there were two stages of added footage, and the first stage, shrug, ok, I'll accept it, but not prefer it. I think they added more after that, though.

I want what I saw as a kid in the theaters.
Even JJ Abrams said in a interview I read somewhere recently that he believes the original theatrical releases should be remastered and released for those of us fans that remember those as episodes 1, 2, and 3. I think anyone who is an old school Star Wars fan will agree with him. I for certain do! I have the original theatrical releases on VHS though...so I have that going for me. :lol:
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3048
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 59 times
Age: 51

Re: Movies

Post by Viking » Tue Dec 24 7:27 am

Han shot first!
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10367
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Movies

Post by Zwak » Tue Dec 24 11:07 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Dec 24 5:00 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 23 11:31 pm
I want the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL footage. I think there were two stages of added footage, and the first stage, shrug, ok, I'll accept it, but not prefer it. I think they added more after that, though.

I want what I saw as a kid in the theaters.
Even JJ Abrams said in a interview I read somewhere recently that he believes the original theatrical releases should be remastered and released for those of us fans that remember those as episodes 1, 2, and 3. I think anyone who is an old school Star Wars fan will agree with him. I for certain do! I have the original theatrical releases on VHS though...so I have that going for me. :lol:
I'm surprised this hasn't happened now that Disney owns Lucasfilm. I believe it was George Lucas who didn't want the original versions released. I agree that they would sell a lot to not just old timers like us but newer generation too.

This could be the answer to a Ken Jennings Trivia question: Movies that were digitally altered/updated after original release (I don't mean remastered but altered). For example the original Raiders of the Lost Ark was digitally altered to remove the reflection of the cobra in the scene where Indy fell into the snake pit. There was a pane of glass between him and the snake but in the original you could see the snake's reflection. They removed it for DVD).
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14993
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 432 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Jupiter » Tue Dec 24 11:33 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue Dec 24 11:07 am
For example the original Raiders of the Lost Ark was digitally altered to remove the reflection of the cobra in the scene where Indy fell into the snake pit. There was a pane of glass between him and the snake but in the original you could see the snake's reflection. They removed it for DVD).
I always looked for the reflection when watching that film....

User avatar
Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7400
Joined: Wed Oct 26 4:21 pm
Location: The crease
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Movies

Post by Thirty-Four » Tue Dec 24 1:54 pm

Zwak wrote:
Tue Dec 24 11:07 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Dec 24 5:00 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 23 11:31 pm
I want the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL footage. I think there were two stages of added footage, and the first stage, shrug, ok, I'll accept it, but not prefer it. I think they added more after that, though.

I want what I saw as a kid in the theaters.
Even JJ Abrams said in a interview I read somewhere recently that he believes the original theatrical releases should be remastered and released for those of us fans that remember those as episodes 1, 2, and 3. I think anyone who is an old school Star Wars fan will agree with him. I for certain do! I have the original theatrical releases on VHS though...so I have that going for me. :lol:
I'm surprised this hasn't happened now that Disney owns Lucasfilm. I believe it was George Lucas who didn't want the original versions released. I agree that they would sell a lot to not just old timers like us but newer generation too.

This could be the answer to a Ken Jennings Trivia question: Movies that were digitally altered/updated after original release (I don't mean remastered but altered). For example the original Raiders of the Lost Ark was digitally altered to remove the reflection of the cobra in the scene where Indy fell into the snake pit. There was a pane of glass between him and the snake but in the original you could see the snake's reflection. They removed it for DVD).
They did sell a DVD version with the original films as a bonus disc, I have " Empire ". They go for big money on Ebay.

User avatar
NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Jan 21 9:15 pm
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Movies

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Tue Dec 24 2:52 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed Dec 04 12:29 pm
I saw Knives Out last night. It was a fun movie. Daniel Craig looked like he was having a blast acting in it. Definitely worth a trip to the theater.
I really, really enjoyed knives out.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 24 6:55 pm

Zwak wrote:
Tue Dec 24 11:07 am
g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Dec 24 5:00 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 23 11:31 pm
I want the ORIGINAL ORIGINAL footage. I think there were two stages of added footage, and the first stage, shrug, ok, I'll accept it, but not prefer it. I think they added more after that, though.

I want what I saw as a kid in the theaters.
Even JJ Abrams said in a interview I read somewhere recently that he believes the original theatrical releases should be remastered and released for those of us fans that remember those as episodes 1, 2, and 3. I think anyone who is an old school Star Wars fan will agree with him. I for certain do! I have the original theatrical releases on VHS though...so I have that going for me. :lol:
I'm surprised this hasn't happened now that Disney owns Lucasfilm. I believe it was George Lucas who didn't want the original versions released. I agree that they would sell a lot to not just old timers like us but newer generation too.

This could be the answer to a Ken Jennings Trivia question: Movies that were digitally altered/updated after original release (I don't mean remastered but altered). For example the original Raiders of the Lost Ark was digitally altered to remove the reflection of the cobra in the scene where Indy fell into the snake pit. There was a pane of glass between him and the snake but in the original you could see the snake's reflection. They removed it for DVD).
ET and the walkie-talkies instead of guns.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 25 7:12 pm

Noelle (Disney+):
Santa's daughter finds herself having to take over the family business when her father retires and her brother, who is supposed to inherit the role of Santa, gets cold feet.

I had major hesitations about this, but my brother said it was worth seeing, everyone in his household (9 people) enjoyed it. So, I told him I'd give it a shot. It's pure Christmas schmaltz, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It really was all about the true Christmas spirit, along with the trademark Anna Kendrick dorkiness that she brings to most of her roles. And might I say, Julie Hagerty (Airplane! and What About Bob?) has aged rather well. Shirley Maclaine and Bill Hader also succeeded in their roles (not a huge fan of Hader, so that part surprised me).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9989
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Movies

Post by davescharf » Wed Dec 25 7:15 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Dec 25 7:12 pm
Noelle (Disney+):
Santa's daughter finds herself having to take over the family business when her father retires and her brother, who is supposed to inherit the role of Santa, gets cold feet.

I had major hesitations about this, but my brother said it was worth seeing, everyone in his household (9 people) enjoyed it. So, I told him I'd give it a shot. It's pure Christmas schmaltz, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It really was all about the true Christmas spirit, along with the trademark Anna Kendrick dorkiness that she brings to most of her roles. And might I say, Julie Hagerty (Airplane! and What About Bob?) has aged rather well. Shirley Maclaine and Bill Hader also succeeded in their roles (not a huge fan of Hader, so that part surprised me).
Anna Kendrick also looks good in an elf costume
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 25 7:28 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Dec 25 7:15 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Dec 25 7:12 pm
Noelle (Disney+):
Santa's daughter finds herself having to take over the family business when her father retires and her brother, who is supposed to inherit the role of Santa, gets cold feet.

I had major hesitations about this, but my brother said it was worth seeing, everyone in his household (9 people) enjoyed it. So, I told him I'd give it a shot. It's pure Christmas schmaltz, and I enjoyed every minute of it. It really was all about the true Christmas spirit, along with the trademark Anna Kendrick dorkiness that she brings to most of her roles. And might I say, Julie Hagerty (Airplane! and What About Bob?) has aged rather well. Shirley Maclaine and Bill Hader also succeeded in their roles (not a huge fan of Hader, so that part surprised me).
Anna Kendrick also looks good in an elf costume
Well, that goes without saying. I will say for the record, that my opinion of Ms Kendrick did not influence my review. I still had to be talked into even watching the movie in the first place.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by HockeyBum » Thu Dec 26 8:14 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Dec 25 7:12 pm
Noelle (Disney+):
Santa's daughter finds herself having to take over the family business when her father retires and her brother, who is supposed to inherit the role of Santa, gets cold feet.
Wife, daughter and I started this movie yesterday afternoon. I can't give a review because all of us fell asleep about halfway through.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Dec 26 10:10 am

Anna Kendrick = hard pass.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sat Dec 28 7:40 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sun Dec 29 11:28 pm

I need to see the Linda Rondstadt movie on CNN on New Year's Day. If it's anything like the Glen Campbell one...hoo boy.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Jan 01 9:54 pm

Watched the Linda Rondstadt movie tonight on CNN.

I was but a toddler (at best) when she was really big. MAN she worked with some legends. Great story, and that last scene...hooboy. Little dusty in here. I think she's been underrated as time has gone on. Great songs, tremendous voice.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8868
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Movies

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Jan 03 9:45 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 21 4:38 pm


Fractured:
Driving cross-country, Ray and his wife and daughter stop at a highway rest area where his daughter falls and breaks her arm. After a frantic rush to the hospital and a clash with the check-in nurse, Ray is finally able to get her to a doctor. While the wife and daughter go downstairs for an MRI, Ray, exhausted, passes out in a chair in the lobby. Upon waking up, they have no record or knowledge of Ray's family ever being checked in.

Decent suspense movie. You think you have it figured out, and then you don't. Then you do again. Then you don't. Solid ending, and many times these sorts of movies leave you disappointed because it's a lazy ending, or a too-obvious ending. This movie presents just enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.
Watched this last night. The suspense was good and you are right, thought I had it, but then didn't!

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Movies

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jan 05 12:21 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Jan 01 9:54 pm
Watched the Linda Rondstadt movie tonight on CNN.

I was but a toddler (at best) when she was really big. MAN she worked with some legends. Great story, and that last scene...hooboy. Little dusty in here. I think she's been underrated as time has gone on. Great songs, tremendous voice.
My wife and I watched this earlier this evening. We are both huge fans. She had just an absolutely amazing voice, with the ability to sing any genre of music. Her "Standards" albums with Nelson Riddle were stunning. I was fortunate enough to see her live at the Civic Center in 1980.
Parkinson's is such a f*cker. My mother-in-law died from complications of it and my brother-in-law is currently battling with it. It was tough for Tammy (my wife) to watch that final scene with her nephew. I thought the film was terrific.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sun Jan 05 12:23 am

Chris83 wrote:
Sun Jan 05 12:21 am
The Rube wrote:
Wed Jan 01 9:54 pm
Watched the Linda Rondstadt movie tonight on CNN.

I was but a toddler (at best) when she was really big. MAN she worked with some legends. Great story, and that last scene...hooboy. Little dusty in here. I think she's been underrated as time has gone on. Great songs, tremendous voice.
My wife and I watched this earlier this evening. We are both huge fans. She had just an absolutely amazing voice, with the ability to sing any genre of music. Her "Standards" albums with Nelson Riddle were stunning. I was fortunate enough to see her live at the Civic Center in 1980.
Parkinson's is such a f*cker. My mother-in-law died from complications of it and my brother-in-law is currently battling with it. It was tough for Tammy (my wife) to watch that final scene with her nephew. I thought the film was terrific.
That final scene, she was there....................sorta. That's what made it tough. Really tough.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Movies

Post by Chris83 » Sun Jan 05 9:48 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Jan 05 12:23 am
Chris83 wrote:
Sun Jan 05 12:21 am
The Rube wrote:
Wed Jan 01 9:54 pm
Watched the Linda Rondstadt movie tonight on CNN.

I was but a toddler (at best) when she was really big. MAN she worked with some legends. Great story, and that last scene...hooboy. Little dusty in here. I think she's been underrated as time has gone on. Great songs, tremendous voice.
My wife and I watched this earlier this evening. We are both huge fans. She had just an absolutely amazing voice, with the ability to sing any genre of music. Her "Standards" albums with Nelson Riddle were stunning. I was fortunate enough to see her live at the Civic Center in 1980.
Parkinson's is such a f*cker. My mother-in-law died from complications of it and my brother-in-law is currently battling with it. It was tough for Tammy (my wife) to watch that final scene with her nephew. I thought the film was terrific.
That final scene, she was there....................sorta. That's what made it tough. Really tough.
Agree totally. We're watching and my wife says "There it is...the Parkinson's stare". With her Uncle, her Mom and now her Brother, we've become all too familiar with it over the past 20 years.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
Master_Shake
Rookie
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Mar 03 11:14 pm
Location: Northwest Minny
Been liked: 2 times
Age: 40

Re: Movies

Post by Master_Shake » Thu Jan 09 9:00 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Jan 03 9:45 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 21 4:38 pm


Fractured:
Driving cross-country, Ray and his wife and daughter stop at a highway rest area where his daughter falls and breaks her arm. After a frantic rush to the hospital and a clash with the check-in nurse, Ray is finally able to get her to a doctor. While the wife and daughter go downstairs for an MRI, Ray, exhausted, passes out in a chair in the lobby. Upon waking up, they have no record or knowledge of Ray's family ever being checked in.

Decent suspense movie. You think you have it figured out, and then you don't. Then you do again. Then you don't. Solid ending, and many times these sorts of movies leave you disappointed because it's a lazy ending, or a too-obvious ending. This movie presents just enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.
Watched this last night. The suspense was good and you are right, thought I had it, but then didn't!
Question
Hidden Content...
How was the girls scarf at the hospital did I miss something?

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8868
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Movies

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Jan 09 9:06 am

Master_Shake wrote:
Thu Jan 09 9:00 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Jan 03 9:45 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 21 4:38 pm


Fractured:
Driving cross-country, Ray and his wife and daughter stop at a highway rest area where his daughter falls and breaks her arm. After a frantic rush to the hospital and a clash with the check-in nurse, Ray is finally able to get her to a doctor. While the wife and daughter go downstairs for an MRI, Ray, exhausted, passes out in a chair in the lobby. Upon waking up, they have no record or knowledge of Ray's family ever being checked in.

Decent suspense movie. You think you have it figured out, and then you don't. Then you do again. Then you don't. Solid ending, and many times these sorts of movies leave you disappointed because it's a lazy ending, or a too-obvious ending. This movie presents just enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.
Watched this last night. The suspense was good and you are right, thought I had it, but then didn't!
Question
Hidden Content...
How was the girls scarf at the hospital did I miss something?
Hidden Content...
I figured it was brought by him when he was examined in the ER and taken from the accident site with him or it was part of the "fracture" and separate reality.

User avatar
QueenofGopherHockey
Golden
Golden
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Apr 14 11:04 am
Location: Minneapolis
Has liked: 186 times
Been liked: 15 times
Age: 69

Re: Movies

Post by QueenofGopherHockey » Thu Jan 09 1:56 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Jan 03 9:45 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 21 4:38 pm


Fractured:
Driving cross-country, Ray and his wife and daughter stop at a highway rest area where his daughter falls and breaks her arm. After a frantic rush to the hospital and a clash with the check-in nurse, Ray is finally able to get her to a doctor. While the wife and daughter go downstairs for an MRI, Ray, exhausted, passes out in a chair in the lobby. Upon waking up, they have no record or knowledge of Ray's family ever being checked in.

Decent suspense movie. You think you have it figured out, and then you don't. Then you do again. Then you don't. Solid ending, and many times these sorts of movies leave you disappointed because it's a lazy ending, or a too-obvious ending. This movie presents just enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.
Watched this last night. The suspense was good and you are right, thought I had it, but then didn't!
Is this on Netflix or in the Theater? Please post.
Thank you
QoGH
10 APR 2014 : .06 -- BEST. GAME. EVER.

User avatar
Master_Shake
Rookie
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Mar 03 11:14 pm
Location: Northwest Minny
Been liked: 2 times
Age: 40

Re: Movies

Post by Master_Shake » Thu Jan 09 2:43 pm

QueenofGopherHockey wrote:
Thu Jan 09 1:56 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Jan 03 9:45 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 21 4:38 pm


Fractured:
Driving cross-country, Ray and his wife and daughter stop at a highway rest area where his daughter falls and breaks her arm. After a frantic rush to the hospital and a clash with the check-in nurse, Ray is finally able to get her to a doctor. While the wife and daughter go downstairs for an MRI, Ray, exhausted, passes out in a chair in the lobby. Upon waking up, they have no record or knowledge of Ray's family ever being checked in.

Decent suspense movie. You think you have it figured out, and then you don't. Then you do again. Then you don't. Solid ending, and many times these sorts of movies leave you disappointed because it's a lazy ending, or a too-obvious ending. This movie presents just enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.
Watched this last night. The suspense was good and you are right, thought I had it, but then didn't!
Is this on Netflix or in the Theater? Please post.
Thank you
QoGH
Netflix

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7851
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times
Age: 102
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by JWG » Thu Jan 09 3:21 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Dec 23 10:43 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Dec 23 10:25 pm
I watched return of the Jedi last night (I have seen it before but 4-6 were all on last weekend so I recorded them as its been awhile since I’d seen them). I still haven’t seen any past that one. Hoping they’ll come out with a complete box set sometime as this series is supposed to be finished.....?
lolololololol

Actually they have box sets, it's a matter of which version you want. They don't have the ORIGINAL non-added footage to the first three movies, AFAIK, so blech to that.
Rumor is 9 movie boxes set in March for $250. There’s a few presale options out there.
JWG
[This space for rent]

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7851
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times
Age: 102
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by JWG » Thu Jan 09 3:22 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Dec 26 10:10 am
Anna Kendrick = hard pass.
Wrong.
JWG
[This space for rent]

User avatar
JWG
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7851
Joined: Tue Apr 15 9:33 am
Location: IGH
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 195 times
Age: 102
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by JWG » Thu Jan 09 3:23 pm

Uncut Gems. Huh... I mean... zokay...
JWG
[This space for rent]

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jan 09 4:00 pm

JWG wrote:
Thu Jan 09 3:22 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Dec 26 10:10 am
Anna Kendrick = hard pass.
Wrong.
I'm pretty sure.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9989
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Movies

Post by davescharf » Thu Jan 09 10:20 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Jan 09 4:00 pm
JWG wrote:
Thu Jan 09 3:22 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Dec 26 10:10 am
Anna Kendrick = hard pass.
Wrong.
I'm pretty sure I"M wrong
FYP :D
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jan 14 9:58 pm

This is a rare year where I'm interested in seeing almost every Oscar nominated Best Picture movie. The only one I've seen so far is The Irishman, which I really enjoyed. I started watching Marriage Story tonight, but only made it 35 minutes before tapping out. It just bored me, and I didn't care about the characters.

1917 and Joker are the two I'm most interested in watching.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Tue Jan 14 9:59 pm

Seven Pounds:

An IRS agent with a dark secret tries to change some lives for the better.

Good drama, without being overly sappy. Will Smith shows some good range, Rosario Dawson (main supporting) and Owen Wilson (minor character, but he has the name) do well, too. It was genuinely touching at times, solid movie. You know there are people out there like Will Smith's character, who we never hear about, and that's the point, IMO. Do a good deed just to do a good deed, don't do it to be recognized.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5498
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 96 times
Age: 34

Re: Movies

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Jan 15 7:59 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Jan 14 9:58 pm
This is a rare year where I'm interested in seeing almost every Oscar nominated Best Picture movie. The only one I've seen so far is The Irishman, which I really enjoyed. I started watching Marriage Story tonight, but only made it 35 minutes before tapping out. It just bored me, and I didn't care about the characters.

1917 and Joker are the two I'm most interested in watching.
That’s about as far as I made it into Marriage Story. It was so boring and I lost interest.

User avatar
Superstar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4580
Joined: Tue Feb 15 12:21 pm
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Movies

Post by Superstar » Wed Jan 15 8:31 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed Jan 15 7:59 am
HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Jan 14 9:58 pm
This is a rare year where I'm interested in seeing almost every Oscar nominated Best Picture movie. The only one I've seen so far is The Irishman, which I really enjoyed. I started watching Marriage Story tonight, but only made it 35 minutes before tapping out. It just bored me, and I didn't care about the characters.

1917 and Joker are the two I'm most interested in watching.
That’s about as far as I made it into Marriage Story. It was so boring and I lost interest.
I started it the other night, and admittedly I didn't think I was in the mood to watch a full movie when I started it...I did turn it off about 20-30 minutes in (when she had her first meeting with Laura Dern's character). That scene started well enough but just got boring.

I'm gonna give it another go at some point, because I usually make a point to see all of the best picture nominees.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Jan 15 9:31 pm

Of Fathers And Sons:

Talal Derki returns to his homeland of Syria where he gains the trust of a radical Islamist family making them think he is making a pro-jihadist movie, sharing their daily life for over two years.

Interesting documentary. Very few questions were asked by the director, it was just a lot of letting the camera roll. It's short, about 100 minutes, but worth a gander.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7684
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Movies

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Jan 15 10:14 pm

Superstar wrote:
Wed Jan 15 8:31 am
Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed Jan 15 7:59 am
HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Jan 14 9:58 pm
This is a rare year where I'm interested in seeing almost every Oscar nominated Best Picture movie. The only one I've seen so far is The Irishman, which I really enjoyed. I started watching Marriage Story tonight, but only made it 35 minutes before tapping out. It just bored me, and I didn't care about the characters.

1917 and Joker are the two I'm most interested in watching.
That’s about as far as I made it into Marriage Story. It was so boring and I lost interest.
I started it the other night, and admittedly I didn't think I was in the mood to watch a full movie when I started it...I did turn it off about 20-30 minutes in (when she had her first meeting with Laura Dern's character). That scene started well enough but just got boring.

I'm gonna give it another go at some point, because I usually make a point to see all of the best picture nominees.
I watched it all the way thru but I’m not sure this is what I would call entertainment. I thought it would be a realistic view of a couple going thru a divorce but it’s told from the standpoint of people in the entertainment industry, which isn’t realistic. Also, most of the characters are assholes, including the kid. Hard to empathize with any of them.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Mon Jan 20 11:21 pm

Legend:
Identical twin gangsters Ronald and Reginald Kray terrorize London during the 1960s.

Tom Hardy plays both roles of the identical twin brothers. There is also a documentary on Netflix about this (which is really good). Reggie was actually the smart one, and Ronnie was certified insane (and paranoid schizo), and also openly gay, which was a big no-no back then.

Very interesting arc, especially given the times. Hardy does well in the contrast of personalities of the brothers. Emily Browning (American Gods) is the narrator/background voice; I really like her work in this. Good watch if you're into crime movies.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jan 21 8:23 am

Anyone watch the Aaron Hernandez documentary series on Netflix? I'm about halfway through. It's very good, but it took a super weird turn that I didn't see coming (can't remember if it was late in the first episode, or in the second episode).

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Tue Jan 21 9:48 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue Jan 21 8:23 am
Anyone watch the Aaron Hernandez documentary series on Netflix? I'm about halfway through. It's very good, but it took a super weird turn that I didn't see coming (can't remember if it was late in the first episode, or in the second episode).
Yeah, it's very good. And I think I know about the turn you're referring to. It was a rumor back at the time; this series really delves into it, without being salacious about it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31881
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Tue Jan 21 8:08 pm

IT Chapter Two:

Where do I begin?
The first 3/4 of the movie was so good. Creepy moments are beyond creepy, the flashback scenes were done well. Then it went off the rails, only to have a fantastic ending. The casting was spot-on. It gave a back-story to the sci-fi ending of the book (thankfully), and the running inside joke was HILARIOUS.
Hidden Content...
The Bad Ending
All in all, great movie(s), pretty darn true to the book as to the story overall, highly recommend. Yes, it's almost 3 hours long, and I attribute that to the flashback parts. If they cut those, it'd be about a 2 hour movie or so.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Jan 26 4:14 pm

Saw 1917 today. Very good movie, but doesn't quite make it into the great category. Very well made and acted, and visually stunning for sure.

Post Reply