Movies

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 29 9:44 pm

Us:

Every try and fit 30 lbs of sh* into a 10 lb bag? That's this movie. Now, I'll be fair, it was 10 lbs of good stuff with 20 lbs of sh*, same concept, though. Tried to do too much with this movie in the matter of actual story and themes. Went 3-4 different ways, depending what part of the movie you were watching (I can't even limit it to acts; it got as far as singular scenes).

I cannot say I hated it, as I enjoyed the premise and the idea of the underlying themes...it was just too much to try and fit into one movie and it failed.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 01 9:08 pm

Bullitt County:

4 college friends re-unite, find out about some alleged hidden treasure, things go awry. The main plot isn't the story. The characters are. I thought it was decent, told in flashback form to fill in the blanks of the characters' histories. A little hammed up in acting, but not a big budget movie, so not surprised. Worth a gander.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jul 02 4:38 pm

Saw the teaser trailer for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywwod", Tarentino's newest film. LOL, God I love Tarentino!
Add in DeCaprio and Pitt and I'm counting the days. Robbie plays Sharon Tate, it has Kurt Russel and Al Pacino. This can't come fast enough for me.
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jul 02 9:16 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Jul 02 4:38 pm
Saw the teaser trailer for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywwod", Tarentino's newest film. LOL, God I love Tarentino!
Add in DeCaprio and Pitt and I'm counting the days. Robbie plays Sharon Tate, it has Kurt Russel and Al Pacino. This can't come fast enough for me.
Ditto.

Cop Car:
Two 10YO runaways steal a corrupt sheriff's car. Trouble ensues. It's a B-Movie, let me make that clear. However, it was an okay watch. The innocence (and stupidity) of kids is the focus here. Kevin Bacon must be hurtin' a little bit in the pocketbook. If this were a Hollywood Hit, I could see the movie being better, Bacon's role could have been a meaty one. But alas....

Murder Mystery:
Sandler movie, produced by his company. Only gave it a chance because Jen Aniston is in it, and she's been known to take chances on what ends up being really good movies. This wasn't one of them. My given chance on the movie lasted 20 minutes. The movie tried, but failed due to the lack of Sandler's evolution of making a decent movie. You would think he'd improve in some areas, but nope.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Jul 03 8:59 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Very excited for this movie as well. My buddy from college is playing Bruce Lee in the movie.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jul 03 10:31 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Jul 03 8:59 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Very excited for this movie as well. My buddy from college is playing Bruce Lee in the movie.
He's getting rave reviews just from the trailer! He is Bruce Lee perfection.
And that scene in the trailer with Pitt has people roaring. "It's called manslaughter" :lol:
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Superstar » Wed Jul 03 1:06 pm

I'll admit...I haven't seen one Tarentino movie, and frankly haven't had a desire. But I might go see this one. Mainly cuz I have the A-list movie pass and it won't cost me anything more to see it. Not to mention, looking at Brad and Leo, even with the 60s look, won't be a bad thing. ;)

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Jul 03 3:17 pm

Saw Spiderman Far From Home today.

Really really liked it. A really good wrap-up to phase 4.

Definitely stay through to the end credits (one mid-credit and one post-credit).

Tom Holland is a great Spiderman.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 03 9:46 pm

Superstar wrote:
Wed Jul 03 1:06 pm
I'll admit...I haven't seen one Tarentino movie, and frankly haven't had a desire. But I might go see this one. Mainly cuz I have the A-list movie pass and it won't cost me anything more to see it. Not to mention, looking at Brad and Leo, even with the 60s look, won't be a bad thing. ;)
You are really missing out. He's done so many styles, there's one that you are bound to like. I understand some of the non-interest (my parents, who LOVE his movies, wish there was a bit less cussing, for example), however I think he's made enough movies, you could roll the dice on one or two.

Big Kill:
A tenderfoot from Philadelphia, two misfit gamblers on the run, and a deadly preacher have a date with destiny in a boom town gone bust called Big Kill.

Standard B-Movie western, not a bad thing at all. I fully enjoyed it. Decent action, nice dry humorous zingers, rather entertaining.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 04 7:59 pm

Fun In Balloonland

Tried watching it on what was basically a dare from a friend. 10 minutes in.....nope. Good lord it's horrible.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Jul 05 7:55 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Jul 03 10:31 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Jul 03 8:59 am
Kelly Red wrote:
He's getting rave reviews just from the trailer! He is Bruce Lee perfection.
And that scene in the trailer with Pitt has people roaring. "It's called manslaughter" :lol:
Yeah, he has been getting a lot of press and kind of cool to see a MN kid who was living in WI get the role. Excited to see it!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 05 9:18 pm

They Shall Not Grow Old

Restored footage of WWI, voice actors doing the narrating/dialogue (but accurately), some footage is colorized.

Amazing. Must see.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Sat Jul 06 6:20 pm

Superstar wrote:
Fri Jun 28 10:33 pm
I saw "Yesterday" tonight. I loved it. I highly recommend.
Went to it today. It was a little disappointing to me. Wasn't expecting that much of a romance angle.

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Sat Jul 06 11:41 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 05 9:18 pm
They Shall Not Grow Old

Restored footage of WWI, voice actors doing the narrating/dialogue (but accurately), some footage is colorized.

Amazing. Must see.
The narration was not done by voice actors, It was taken from over 600hrs of actual recordings from over 200 soldiers. Peter Jackson said he wanted the audience to hear the voices of the real soldiers who experienced it first hand. Voice actors were hired for the restored footage...professionals read their lips, and then they hired voice actors from the same area of Great Britain that the soldiers had hailed from.

I saw this at the Riverview, and after they showed kind-of a "making of". It was absolutely fascinating. That restored footage...they showed several side-by-sides and it was unbelievable. You could barely see what some of the "before" footage was of. Just wow. Very good film.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 06 11:55 pm

Thank you for clarifying. This project was insane. Kudos to Jackson. The work put into this......

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 07 12:46 am

The Rube wrote:
They Shall Not Grow Old

Amazing. Must see.
Thanks for reminding me about this. It’s probably one of a few things I really want to seek out and have just forgotten about it

On the flight over the ocean I watched the Nat Geo special on the Apollo program. It’s a good watch if you’re into the space program and NASA since they have a lot of old footage and walk through many of the missions
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Jul 07 12:15 pm

Superstar wrote:
Sat Jul 06 11:41 pm
The Rube wrote:
They Shall Not Grow Old

Amazing. Must see.
The narration was not done by voice actors, It was taken from over 600hrs of actual recordings from over 200 soldiers. Peter Jackson said he wanted the audience to hear the voices of the real soldiers who experienced it first hand. Voice actors were hired for the restored footage...professionals read their lips, and then they hired voice actors from the same area of Great Britain that the soldiers had hailed from.

I saw this at the Riverview, and after they showed kind-of a "making of". It was absolutely fascinating. That restored footage...they showed several side-by-sides and it was unbelievable. You could barely see what some of the "before" footage was of. Just wow. Very good film.
I always love those "making of" extras. For many years I attended a film conference that focused on saving old movies and restoration. It was fascinating to see the work that goes into saving old film of all kinds. Hours of repair work are spent on 30 seconds of film. Scratches, tears, burns, color fade, melting, sound edges ripped off, all can be painstakingly fixed. We got to see on-going projects, new developments in computer restoration and several big films each year that were completed. A bunch of movie nerds combined with tech nerds! :biggrin2:
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jul 09 9:05 pm

Beneath The Leaves:
Four small-town boys are kidnapped by James Whitley, a warm-eyed psychopath. His grotesque pursuit to reunite orphaned children with their deceased birth parents is halted when the boys escape and he is arrested. Fifteen years later Whitley flees during a prison fire and decides to see his mission through.

This was okay. I checked it out because it had Paul and Mira Sorvino, whom I both like (especially Paul, what a great character actor). A few twists, some nice drama. I can't say it's great, but it is better than good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Chris83 » Wed Jul 10 9:29 pm

"The History of Time Travel" on Amazon. A fictional documentary about the world's first time machine. Low budget, corny and a number of warts, but I had a lot of fun watching it.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 12 9:23 pm

Mary Poppins Returns:

What a simply delightful movie. Charming. No snark. After the initial few minutes of set-up, I dunno if anyone could have wiped the small smile from my face the entire rest of the movie. It was a perma-grin, if one were to exaggerate. I haven't seen the first one since I was a little tyke, yet some memories of that one came flooding back (probably the cause of my love of penguins, in hindsight). HIGHLY recommend.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 14 8:01 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 18 9:25 pm
Bad Times At The El Royale:

A couple strangers' lives intersect at a has-been hotel. This is like Tarantino, Aronofsky, and Nolan all had a weird lovechild, and Stone was the priest that christened the child. Eccentric, convoluted, yet very interesting movie. If all those directors had actually taken part in this movie, the sum would be less than the individual roles, however I still really liked it.

Basically, sit back and enjoy the twists and unorthodox storytelling manner.
Finally got to see this all the way through on my flight home yesterday. I thought it was really interesting and enjoyed it.

I also watched Captain Marvel and just thought it was ‘meh’.

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Tue Jul 16 7:57 pm

Saw "Stuber" the other day. I didn't go in with high expectations, which was probably good...cuz in the end, I thought it was a decent/funny movie. Not a big screen must-see, but worth a watch at home.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Jul 16 9:57 pm

Beauner wrote:
Wed Jul 03 3:17 pm

Definitely stay through to the end credits (one mid-credit and one post-credit).

Finally got to this with my daughter tonight. She has seen every MCU movie (I missed Captain Marvel) and she thought this was the best one yet. I think I still like End Game, Thor Ragnarok and both Guardians movies better but this was up there.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Jul 16 11:11 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Jul 16 9:57 pm
Beauner wrote:
Wed Jul 03 3:17 pm

Finally got to this with my daughter tonight. She has seen every MCU movie (I missed Captain Marvel) and she thought this was the best one yet. I think I still like End Game, Thor Ragnarok and both Guardians movies better but this was up there.
I loved Ragnarok but I think part of the appeal for me with that movie is it's just so freaking funny. Same with the Guardians movies to an extent (that cast together is great- I have a feeling Guardians 3 is going to feature Thor a lot and I cannot freaking wait, the end of Endgame where they argue about who is in charge and Thor goes "Of course. Of course. Of course." while smirking at Starlord is one of my favorite scenes and I dunno why).

Far From Home had some funny moments but also had some pretty deep scenes. It's hard for me to compare that to Ragnarok, but I think I'd give a slight edge to Thor just because it made me laugh so hard.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jul 24 1:56 pm

Rutger Hauer has passed away.

[url][/url]
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 25 8:53 pm

The Great Hack:

Documentary on the Cambridge Analytica story, with more than a dash on Facebook. The Data Wars. 10 years ago, another documentary called "We Live In Public" came out, and one quote stood out to me: Everything is free, except for the footage captured...THAT...we own.

Now magnify that quote to what the internet is today. Yeah.

Highly recommend both docs. Link to the We Live In Public trailer below:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jul 26 8:12 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Jul 24 1:56 pm

[url][/url]
What a bummer... I could watch Rutger Hauer in anything and enjoy it. :cry:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 26 8:56 pm

The Mule:

I liked it. The family theme is heavy, a little too much so, but that's nitpicking. Great cast, too. When Taissa Farmiga first appeared, I immediately thought "daughter of Vera." While the ages fall into that range (21 year difference), Taissa is actually the younger sister. Spittin' image, I tell ya. It's a good movie to watch.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Fri Jul 26 10:04 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 26 8:56 pm
The Mule:

I liked it. The family theme is heavy, a little too much so, but that's nitpicking. Great cast, too. When Taissa Farmiga first appeared, I immediately thought "daughter of Vera." While the ages fall into that range (21 year difference), Taissa is actually the younger sister. Spittin' image, I tell ya. It's a good movie to watch.
Eastwood’s real life daughter plays his daughter in this movie.
GPL's official source of trivia.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 26 10:14 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Jul 26 10:04 pm
The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 26 8:56 pm
The Mule:

Eastwood’s real life daughter plays his daughter in this movie.
I am aware. He did that with his son in Gran Torino, too.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Jul 26 10:24 pm

Thirty-Four wrote:
Fri Jul 26 8:12 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Jul 24 1:56 pm

[url][/url]
What a bummer... I could watch Rutger Hauer in anything and enjoy it. :cry:
Rutger Hauer is awesome in The Hitcher
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Sun Jul 28 6:00 pm

American Made. I'm guessing the "true story" was embellished quite a bit, but it was a pretty entertaining movie. Would recommend.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 31 9:07 pm

Searching:

Daughter goes missing, dad figures out to use her computer for clues to her disappearance, while working with police.

A bit Lifetime-y at the end, but that's no matter. The entire movie is told through the eyes of modern devices: laptops, smartphones, CCTV, hidden cameras, all that. There is no "true" live-action. I thought that aspect was very well done, and very creative. Worth a watch just for that aspect.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 08 10:02 pm

The Decendants:

As his wife is dying, a distant father/husband tries to make amends with her and their two daughters, while trying to decide whether to sell off some critical/valuable real estate in Hawaii.

It was good. Ran the gamut of emotions, didn't really shy away from the raw parts. Clooney is great, as always, props to Shailene Woodley (yeah, I don't know either) who was excellent as the elder daughter. Definitely worth a watch.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Aug 26 12:02 pm

Great question on Twitter today; What's the best song from a bad movie? Here are some that people tossed out:

1. Nobody's Fool (Kenny Loggins) from Caddyshack II
2. Glory of Love: (Peter Cetera) from Karate Kid II
3. What I've Done (Linkin Park) from Transformers

Thoughts?

Karlsson
Veteran
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Aug 26 1:46 pm

A good chunk of Loggins' material could make that list. :mrgreen:

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Aug 26 2:24 pm

Quite a few songs from Xanadu were hits, but I am not sure you can get a worse movie...

Xanadu
Suddenly
Magic

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Aug 26 2:28 pm

Flash Gordon. Greatest soundtrack ever. One of the great "bad" movies of all time.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by F Da Sue » Mon Aug 26 5:19 pm

A couple new trailers from Disney today:

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Aug 26 6:04 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
Mon Aug 26 5:19 pm
A couple new trailers from Disney today:

I’m likely in the minority but I am officially bored with anything Star Wars. #hottake

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Aug 26 8:06 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Aug 26 2:24 pm
Quite a few songs from Xanadu were hits, but I am not sure you can get a worse movie...

Xanadu
Suddenly
Magic
:lol: oh god that film is screamingly bad and I can’t resist it. ELO. Olivia Newton John. Gene Kelly.
The final set up of the roller disco- 40s dance club is just so so wrong. I love it.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 26 9:27 pm

Glory Of Love sucks ass.

Sonic Youth/Cypress Hill: I Love You Mary Jane from the Judgement Night soundtrack.

And anything from Rock Of Ages. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Aug 27 7:29 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Aug 26 6:04 pm
I’m likely in the minority but I am officially bored with anything Star Wars. #hottake
Your GenX status has been revoked!!!

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Aug 27 9:12 am

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Aug 27 7:29 am
Zwak wrote:
Mon Aug 26 6:04 pm
Your GenX status has been revoked!!!
That's fine. I've never really thought of myself as a Gen-Xer :mrgreen:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Aug 27 11:44 am

Xanadu came out the summer before 7th grade. I took a bus downtown to go on a date with a girl I met at camp and I sat through that dreck of a movie like a good boy.

Some other bad movies good soundtracks:

Batman & Robin
Garden State
Reality Bites
Godzilla (1998)
Romeo + Juliet
Under the Cherry Moon
Graffiti Bridge
Maximum Overdrive
The Beach
Marie Antoinette

I was going include Pump Up the Volume even though I enjoyed the movie but apparently the ratings for it aren't as bad as I remember.
Currently under construction.

ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by ScoobyDoo » Tue Aug 27 11:47 am

You forgot The Legend of Billie Jean.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Aug 27 2:23 pm

I think Singles may fall into this category of movies that sucked...quite possibly the best soundtrack for a movie in the 90's.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Aug 27 3:49 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Aug 27 2:23 pm
I think Singles may fall into this category of movies that sucked...quite possibly the best soundtrack for a movie in the 90's.
I didn’t hate Singles but Cameron Crowe has done better. You’re right though, great soundtrack

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Aug 27 9:07 pm

The Punisher:

Decided to check out the movie, to compare to the Netflix series. The series was better. When Travolta is NOT a minus, that says something (minus Pulp Fiction, of course). The insertion of comic relief and the romance angle hurt the movie, to be honest. I thought the series was more raw, more fitting.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Wed Aug 28 8:05 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Aug 27 9:07 pm
The Punisher:

Decided to check out the movie, to compare to the Netflix series. The series was better. When Travolta is NOT a minus, that says something (minus Pulp Fiction, of course). The insertion of comic relief and the romance angle hurt the movie, to be honest. I thought the series was more raw, more fitting.
Agreed. The show is far superior. But I still enjoy that movie.
There is a second Punisher movie out (not Thomas Jane IIRC) but touches on Jigsaw (season 2 of Netflix show). I've seen probably 75% of it. It's ok but I think the first movie and the show are far superior.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 28 8:40 am

Singles was too good of a movie to be included in that list.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Wed Aug 28 10:37 am

The Beach (with Leo) doesn’t qualify as a bad movie. 😊
Last edited by bearpaw28 on Wed Aug 28 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Aug 28 10:55 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 28 8:40 am
I'll just agree to disagree...
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Aug 28 10:59 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Aug 27 9:07 pm
The Punisher:

I did like Thomas Jane's performance as The Punisher. The way they made the movie seemed like a Saturday morning cereal kind of thing...kinda campy. I do like the movie to kill an hour and a half.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 28 12:41 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Aug 28 10:55 am
Slap Shot wrote:
I'll agree that you're completely wrong. :mrgreen:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1040379_singles

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Aug 28 1:36 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 28 12:41 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

That's a list of people with an opinion on the movie...yep, got it. My opinion is that Say Anything or Jerry Maguire are better Cameron Crowe movies than Singles. Honestly I think Eddie Vedder carries the movie IMO.... :lol: :poke:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 28 1:48 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Aug 28 1:36 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 28 12:41 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

That's a list of people with an opinion on the movie...yep, got it. My opinion is that Say Anything or Jerry Maguire are better Cameron Crowe movies than Singles. Honestly I think Eddie Vedder carries the movie IMO.... :lol: :poke:
It's a link showing 79% and 72% rating - the latter with more than 21,000 user ratings. It also has 88% from Google users, 4/5 from Common Sense Media.... That you may like those other 2 movies more doesn't mean it qualifies as a bad movie with a good soundtrack. Feel free to take a 3rd crack at this if you like. :wink: :mrgreen:

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Aug 28 3:30 pm

Well...Singles is no Smokey and the Bandit! :mrgreen:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Aug 28 9:24 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Aug 28 3:30 pm
Well...Singles is no Smokey and the Bandit! :mrgreen:
THAT I can agree with. Smokey is an American classic!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Sep 06 9:51 pm

IT Chapter Two:
I so wanna see it in theaters, but 2:49 running time? I'll wait. Mixed review in the Star Trib today, don't care. Gonna see it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Sep 10 9:05 pm

Selfless:

Ben Kingsley plays a billionaire who is dying, and transfers his mind into a newer, younger body. However, due to some circumstances, begins to wonder where the body came from (who is played by Ryan Reynolds).

It's decent, a good mix of tinfoil hat action, and morality drama.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Sep 10 9:40 pm

Late to the earlier mentioned Star Wars trailer comments. I signed up for Disney's streaming service just for The Mandalorian. I think it was $150 for year years for D23 members. With a 9 and 1 year old plus that we'll easily get $150 worth out of it since we won't need to buy digital copies of the movies any longer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Sep 11 9:07 pm

Kong: Skull Island

Good take on the story. I liked it. Some of the humor could go away (some of John C Reilly's quotes are below meh), and that's a nitpick. Some of the seemingly obvious hinted-at storylines never materialized, and that was for the better (the 2 romance angles that could have been). Worth watching.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Sep 12 12:29 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Sep 10 9:05 pm
Selfless:

Ben Kingsley plays a billionaire who is dying, and transfers his mind into a newer, younger body. However, due to some circumstances, begins to wonder where the body came from (who is played by Ryan Reynolds).

It's decent, a good mix of tinfoil hat action, and morality drama.
I just watched it. I enjoyed it.

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by solar » Fri Sep 13 9:31 am

davescharf wrote:
Tue Sep 10 9:40 pm
Late to the earlier mentioned Star Wars trailer comments. I signed up for Disney's streaming service just for The Mandalorian. I think it was $150 for year years for D23 members. With a 9 and 1 year old plus that we'll easily get $150 worth out of it since we won't need to buy digital copies of the movies any longer.
My kids are now 17, 13 and 11, and as a D23 member as well, I would have signed up for it even without them. It was a very easy decision to spend about $4 a month.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 15 9:27 pm

American Assasin:

I have not read the books.
Can you smash more cliches into a story? JFC, the first part was good, a nice character study, then it spiraled downward into every action movie ever. Meh.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Sep 16 6:55 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Sep 15 9:27 pm
American Assasin:

Can you smash more cliches into a story? JFC, the first part was good, a nice character study, then it spiraled downward into every action movie ever. Meh.
Like all of us who are fans of the books said, we hope that Amazon gets a hold of Mitch Rapp and it gives him the Jack Ryan treatment. The character and story of Mitch Rapp would make a unbelievably great web series if you could get a good screenwriter on board. If Vince would be alive AA would have been a much different movie I believe.

Reg Dunlop
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Reg Dunlop » Mon Sep 16 11:08 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Sep 16 6:55 am
The Rube wrote:
Sun Sep 15 9:27 pm
American Assasin:

Like all of us who are fans of the books said, we hope that Amazon gets a hold of Mitch Rapp and it gives him the Jack Ryan treatment. The character and story of Mitch Rapp would make a unbelievably great web series if you could get a good screenwriter on board. If Vince would be alive AA would have been a much different movie I believe.
Totally agree.
I was very disappointed in AA
"Let 'em know you're there!"

Thirty-four: "Reg, I gotta tell you, of all the people on the board, you are one of the five I'd like to buy a beer!" :beerchug:

Frozen Four: BSU=JBSU=LOL

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Sep 17 2:20 pm

It was an average movie overall. It was not a good adaptation of the source material.
I still would like to see more Rapp on screen (ideally as a TV show on Prime/Netflix).

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Sep 17 9:14 pm

The Grass Is Greener:

Part educational, part propaganda, but worth a watch. History of sticky-icky/ganja/weed/etc in America, the laws, the culture, etc. Accurately enough, but still funny as hell, is that Snoop Dogg made some of the most articulate points about the herb.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 19 9:09 pm

The Post:

A good prequel to "All The President's Men," IMO. Outstanding cast, MANY recognizable names/faces, even if not "A-List." Yes, more than a few jabs at the current state of affairs, and they are more than justified (I don't think that latter part breaks the rules of this board....I hope not, anyways). Very much worth a watch.

TheRube33 on UnTappd