Movies

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
rowshkex
Veteran
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Movies

Post by rowshkex » Sun May 15 4:54 am

F Da Sue wrote:I don't want to watch bad movies, but there sure are a lot of them out there (even ones that at their peak played in less than a couple hundred theaters in the whole country).

I also took a couple film classes at the U (along with a real major). Does that mean I can be a movie snob like you?

How does anything I've said make me a snob? Congratulations on being abrasive in an internet forum for no good reason.
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.
is a 1 time GPL Pick 'Em Weekly Non-Winner Tiebreaker Champion.
GPL's Resident Popcorn Popper :popcorn:

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Sun May 15 8:32 am

The U has movie courses? For college credit?? :no:

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Eckes » Sun May 15 8:57 am

My hard-and-fast rule: if you like Adaptation, you are a movie snob. That movie sucks with a capital SUCK.

Also, if you don't like Snakes on a Plane, you are a movie snob. Horrible, yes, but great all the same :lol:
Formerly known as The X Factor
Gopher Hockey: Minnesota's Pride on Ice
National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Pride on Ice Blog: http://prideoniceblog.blogspot.com (click on the ads!)
Founding Member of the :ahhh: Fan Club - Est. 9/15/2010
2010 GPL Fantasy Baseball Champion

st8ofhockey
Golden
Golden

Post by st8ofhockey » Sun May 15 9:30 am

The X Factor wrote:My hard-and-fast rule: if you like Adaptation, you are a movie snob. That movie sucks with a capital SUCK.

Also, if you don't like Snakes on a Plane, you are a movie snob. Horrible, yes, but great all the same :lol:

I have had it with these :censored: :censored: snobs on this :censored: :censored: message board. Everybody strap in... I'm about to open some :censored: windows

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by Zwak » Sun May 15 10:31 am

I have no problems with movie snobs, beer snobs, wine snobs, etc. as long as they have no problem with me liking movies like Rumble in the Bronx or Shoot Em Up.
GPL's official source of trivia.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by The Rube » Sun May 15 11:09 am

Zwak wrote:I have no problems with movie snobs, beer snobs, wine snobs, etc. as long as they have no problem with me liking movies like Rumble in the Bronx or Shoot Em Up.

And as long as they don't wear berets and watch "films" in hipster-area theaters. :wink:

It's a MOVIE. Not a "film." (sorry, nitpicky pet peeve/grinds my gears sorta thing)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Sun May 15 12:01 pm

F Da Sue wrote:
rowshkex wrote:
Sounds like you're really good at doing things you don't want to do, then complaining about them to others and taking it out on them and their internet mannerisms. Don't worry though, I already knew that I use the ellipsis way too much--I just informally type the way it sounds in my head.

I have a few movie suggestions that you'll absolutely love: Wild Strawberries, Cache, and Fanny and Alexander (don't worry, I didn't like two of those movies... We could almost be friends!).

I don't want to watch bad movies, but there sure are a lot of them out there (even ones that at their peak played in less than a couple hundred theaters in the whole country).

I also took a couple film classes at the U (along with a real major). Does that mean I can be a movie snob like you?

Good Lord, what's with the hostility?
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

rowshkex
Veteran

Post by rowshkex » Sun May 15 1:54 pm

Dances With Gophers wrote:The U has movie courses? For college credit?? :no:

:lol:

Time to go back to school!
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun May 15 2:16 pm

The X Factor wrote:My hard-and-fast rule: if you like Adaptation, you are a movie snob. That movie sucks with a capital SUCK.

I like both of these movies. Now I don't know whether I'm a movie snob or not. :confused2:

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 183 times

Post by Beauner » Sun May 15 3:01 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:

I like both of these movies. Now I don't know whether I'm a movie snob or not. :confused2:

Nope. Just a (k)nob ;) :lol:
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Kelor » Tue May 17 5:22 pm

Here's a documentary coming out in November.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SSHonorFlight

I would assume this is also part of it. No words.

http://youtu.be/d7oBeQ4Y6xo

http://youtu.be/_VoWKh_T6aA

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue May 17 9:30 pm

Yes, they do! Even worse, I got a Master degree in Film Studies (not from the U) :dance: I watch films and do consulting work on scripts for a living, a very good living. But I am NOT a film snob, hell some of my favorite films (yes films, not movies, sorry that's the high faluting in me coming out) are trashy and crude. Loved The Hangover, can hardly wait for #2, loved Tropic Thunder, love everything by Quentin Tarantino. That said, film is an art form for me and I can enjoy almost anything, a single fabulous scene can redeem the most boring viewing. The only part of me that is snobby is that I vastly prefer seeing a film in a theater and not on a TV. I go to approx. 60+ films a year in a theater.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue May 17 9:56 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Yes, they do! Even worse, I got a Master degree in Film Studies (not from the U) :dance: I watch films and do consulting work on scripts for a living, a very good living. But I am NOT a film snob, hell some of my favorite films (yes films, not movies, sorry that's the high faluting in me coming out) are trashy and crude. Loved The Hangover, can hardly wait for #2, loved Tropic Thunder, love everything by Quentin Tarantino. That said, film is an art form for me and I can enjoy almost anything, a single fabulous scene can redeem the most boring viewing. The only part of me that is snobby is that I vastly prefer seeing a film in a theater and not on a TV. I go to approx. 60+ films a year in a theater.

Random Q - have you seen the flick "Lone Star" (1996)? Just wondering what review you'd give it...

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed May 18 10:59 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:
Kelly Red wrote:

Random Q - have you seen the flick "Lone Star" (1996)? Just wondering what review you'd give it...
I have seen it and liked it very much. One of my favorite men, under appreciated Chris Cooper, along with a host of fabulous character actors are in this film. A mystery that doesn't dumb it down for the audience and full bore ACTORS, not stars. One of the few films w/ Matthew McConaughey where I"m impressed w/ him, he normally bores me to tears.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Wed May 18 11:11 am

I saw Thor .. it was ok. The movie had its moments but seemed to end too abrubtly IMO. The cast and the story lines have potential.

When doing the comic book movie thing .. I always compare to the Batman "redo's", Iron Man, and the first Spiderman.

The one thing I don't understand is that the movie industry has done X men, Fantastic 4 and it is working on the Avengers but why hasn't it done Justice League (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash and Green Latern). IMO, it would be huge if done well!!!

psych
Veteran

Post by psych » Wed May 18 2:18 pm

Finally got around to watching The King's Speech, and I definitely enjoyed it. Colin Firth was spectacular. I also watched Blue Valentine, and I must say I was very impressed. I usually hate Ryan Gosling, but he plays a convincing alcoholic.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed May 18 5:21 pm

Based on the recommendation of many I went and saw "Bridesmaids" and it was just plain awful. There were a few funny moments, but it ended at that. It was especially rough at times when you could tell they were improvising and it just felt forced. It was like they had a plot point written and were just hoping to come up with some funny stuff to fill time. It might help if I found Kristen Wiig funny at all and through watching her on SNL, she is just completely unfunny to me. If you like her, then you will probably like this since she is in every scene.

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Eckes » Wed May 18 5:23 pm

oh god she is not funny at all. yikes.

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Wed May 18 6:26 pm

For what it's worth...

Blockbuster's streaming movies are not a threat to Netflix.

The delivery sucks.
The world is bigger than Minnesota, kids.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed May 18 7:42 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:Based on the recommendation of many I went and saw "Bridesmaids" and it was just plain awful. There were a few funny moments, but it ended at that. It was especially rough at times when you could tell they were improvising and it just felt forced. It was like they had a plot point written and were just hoping to come up with some funny stuff to fill time. It might help if I found Kristen Wiig funny at all and through watching her on SNL, she is just completely unfunny to me. If you like her, then you will probably like this since she is in every scene.
I saw it this afternoon, agree w/ you, awful awful awful. Had some potential which they wasted completely and yes I think they were improvising too, not good. The one scene that had me laughing was in the bridal shop when they all got sick. "Don't look at me!" but that wasn't enough to recommend it, save your money for The Hangover 2.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed May 18 9:24 pm

psych wrote:I usually hate Ryan Gosling, but he plays a convincing white trash yokel.

Just sayin'. ;)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

F Da Sue
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by F Da Sue » Thu May 19 1:08 am

SouthTexGopher wrote:For what it's worth...

Blockbuster's streaming movies are not a threat to Netflix.

The delivery sucks.

Blockbuster is terrible. Had "Inside Job" at the top of my queue for 2 months, but got so sick of waiting that I just ordered it on pay per view.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Thu May 19 2:14 am

The X Factor wrote:oh god she is not funny at all. yikes.

...and yet I see many reviews saying she's the funniest performer on SNL.

I've seen her on SNL. What the hell am I missing here? More importantly, how the hell can what she does in any way be considered "humor?"
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Eckes » Thu May 19 6:41 am

Keenan is the man on SNL. I absolutely love him.

Kelor
Golden
Golden

Post by Kelor » Thu May 19 7:08 am

I agree. Not funny. Sometimes people think that the dumber the character, the funnier. I don't get it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun May 22 6:52 pm

First look at The Dark Knight Rises villain came out.
Tom Hardy as Bane

Dude looks JACKED

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Superstar » Sun May 22 7:18 pm

Has anyone experienced the "D-box" deal they've got at the MOA? I heard about it, and thought going to see Pirates 4 with it my be cool. But I mainly wanna see it in 3D. I'm not sure they show it in 3D if it's D-box. I don't see why they wouldn't, but, it doesn't list it on the MOA's movie page.

So...just wondering has anyone experience it yet and would you recommend it or just kind-of a silly "fad" right now?

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon May 23 5:17 am

Superstar wrote:Has anyone experienced the "D-box" deal they've got at the MOA? I heard about it, and thought going to see Pirates 4 with it my be cool. But I mainly wanna see it in 3D. I'm not sure they show it in 3D if it's D-box. I don't see why they wouldn't, but, it doesn't list it on the MOA's movie page.

So...just wondering has anyone experience it yet and would you recommend it or just kind-of a silly "fad" right now?

Pirates 4 is another one of those movies that was not actually filmed in 3-D but filmed in 2-D and later converted to 3-D.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Mon May 23 8:18 am

Maybe it was because my expectations weren't super high but I liked Thor. Yeah, it won't win awards for best movie but it did enough to entertain me for a few hours. I enjoyed some of the one liners in it too.
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Mon May 23 8:44 am

Zwak wrote:
Superstar wrote:Has anyone experienced the "D-box" deal they've got at the MOA? I heard about it, and thought going to see Pirates 4 with it my be cool. But I mainly wanna see it in 3D. I'm not sure they show it in 3D if it's D-box. I don't see why they wouldn't, but, it doesn't list it on the MOA's movie page.

Pirates 4 is another one of those movies that was not actually filmed in 3-D but filmed in 2-D and later converted to 3-D.

Cliffy, you're wrong on this one. ;) Pirates 4 is the 1st of the series that was shot in 3D. But you didn't answer my question about D-box. :)

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue May 24 10:27 pm

Went and saw Bridesmaids tonight. First: For a Tuesday night movie there were a lot of people there.
Second: It was decent I thought. Some pretty funny parts, mostly the scenes with Melissa McCarthy. She was an absolute riot. t was decent enough. I laughed pretty hard at some parts and was thoroughly un-entertained at others.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed May 25 12:31 am

Heard about this movie from a non-movie-geek friend of mine. Did some looking into, looks really legit. And scares the :censored: out of me. I will hopefully watch this movie this week:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ysuG2O0zw[/youtube]

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gator
Golden
Golden

Post by gator » Thu May 26 7:43 pm

"Youngblood" is on Versus tonight.
"Sometimes it's fun to poke a stick in a hornets' nest just to hear the buzzing".
- Pat Sajak

"You're the Donald Trump of GPL... #fakenews"
- The Rube (7/1/17) @ Ansari's - Eagan, MN

KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE
:trashpc:
The poster formerly known as gatorice

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by g-manpuck » Thu May 26 8:00 pm

gator wrote:"Youngblood" is on Versus tonight.

It sucked me in already!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

psych
Veteran

Post by psych » Sat May 28 10:19 pm

Hangover II. Meh. It was alright. A couple LOL parts, but not nearly as good as the first one, IMO.

rowshkex
Veteran

Post by rowshkex » Sun May 29 2:22 am

Just reading about the Palme d'Or on the Strib tonight--anyone have plans to see that when it comes to the Uptown?

Edit: Maybe I should mention that it's called "Tree of Life."
Last edited by rowshkex on Sun May 29 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun May 29 2:31 am

rowshkex wrote:Just reading about the Palme d'Or on the Strib tonight--anyone have plans to see that when it comes to the Uptown?

(insert beret-wearing and "films" not "movies" comment here)
:wink:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Sun May 29 10:13 am

psych wrote:Hangover II. Meh. It was alright. A couple LOL parts, but not nearly as good as the first one, IMO.

I thought the first one was overrated. May have been because I saw it after so many people said how great it was.

rowshkex
Veteran

Post by rowshkex » Sun May 29 10:34 am

The Rube wrote:
rowshkex wrote:Just reading about the Palme d'Or on the Strib tonight--anyone have plans to see that when it comes to the Uptown?

(insert beret-wearing and "films" not "movies" comment here)
:wink:

:ahhh: :chainsaw: :dance:
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.

BlueBandit24
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by BlueBandit24 » Sun May 29 3:40 pm

psych wrote:Hangover II. Meh. It was alright. A couple LOL parts, but not nearly as good as the first one, IMO.

I'm normally not a fan of raunchy, over the top comedy, but The Hangover pulls it off. I felt the sequel failed to live up to the first but it is still an enjoyable flick.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon May 30 1:04 am

Sherlock Holmes: at first I was afraid it might go the way of The Prestige (which is an awesome movie, but doesn't fit Holmes' style), but thankfully it didn't. I liked it better than I thought I would, although I could do without the MTV-editing in the action sequences that has become a substitute for actual action in many movies these days.

Due Date: Meh. A couple funny lines, a couple funny situations, but honestly, Zach Galifianakis is terribly overrated. It's a shame, because I can see his potential with the comedic style he brings, but it usually is just so unimaginative that it almost hurts. If you miss seeing this movie, don't feel bad about it one bit.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon May 30 3:26 am

The Rube wrote:Sherlock Holmes: at first I was afraid it might go the way of The Prestige (which is an awesome movie, but doesn't fit Holmes' style), but thankfully it didn't. I liked it better than I thought I would, although I could do without the MTV-editing in the action sequences that has become a substitute for actual action in many movies these days.

Due Date: Meh. A couple funny lines, a couple funny situations, but honestly, Zach Galifianakis is terribly overrated. It's a shame, because I can see his potential with the comedic style he brings, but it usually is just so unimaginative that it almost hurts. If you miss seeing this movie, don't feel bad about it one bit.

Truthfully, the only movie that I think that Zach Galifianakis was really funny in was Out Cold.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 286 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon May 30 3:51 pm

"Skyline" - so bad it's not even worthy of filler time and might have the worst ending of all time.

"I am number Four" - standard sci-fi/action fare but this one was actually worth the rental price.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon May 30 7:11 pm

g_manpucker wrote:Truthfully, the only movie that I think that Zach Galifianakis was really funny in was Out Cold.

"This uniform's really crampin' my Hardy Boys, it's no mystery."

I know it's an outtake, but I was almost in tears when they showed his outtakes of that line.

Alby22
Rookie

Post by Alby22 » Mon May 30 7:30 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:

I'm normally not a fan of raunchy, over the top comedy, but The Hangover pulls it off. I felt the sequel failed to live up to the first but it is still an enjoyable flick.

I do agree the Hangover 2 wasnt as good as the first one but really where could the sequel go? They really could only do pretty much the same thing the did in the first one. This movie will make more than the first one did so the studio im sure is happy.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon May 30 8:42 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
g_manpucker wrote:Truthfully, the only movie that I think that Zach Galifianakis was really funny in was Out Cold.

"This uniform's really crampin' my Hardy Boys, it's no mystery."

I know it's an outtake, but I was almost in tears when they showed his outtakes of that line.

One of my all-time favorite movie lines. I still use it constantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJEsWLnWtY#t=10m32s

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon May 30 8:45 pm

Alby22 wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:

I do agree the Hangover 2 wasnt as good as the first one but really where could the sequel go? They really could only do pretty much the same thing the did in the first one. This movie will make more than the first one did so the studio im sure is happy.

I always have lower expectations for sequels than I do the originals, unless it's part of a continuing serious story (Matrix, Star Wars, etc). Comedies have it even tougher, since they are usually "self-contained" movies. Some try to continue the storyline (Police Academy, American Pie) and just can't quite do it. Granted, sometimes those sequels are funny, but most of the time they are painful (Dumb And Dumbere, The Mask 2)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Superstar
Golden
Golden

Post by Superstar » Mon May 30 8:59 pm

Saw Pirates 4 last night. I have to say, it was really good. Not quite as good as the 1st, but better than 2 & 3. And I like that it's a stand-alone (don't have to see the others to get this one). Let me say...don't F w/Mermaids! Dang! ;)

And as usual...if you go, stay thru the credits...another sequel set-up.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jun 05 7:13 pm

Saw a bunch of movies over the weekend:

Hangover 2: replace Vegas with Bangkok. Still very funny, though.

Green Hornet: so ridiculously awful/campy/fun/action-packed. It tiptoed between popcorn action/parody quite nicely. Very entertaining.

30 Days Of Night: shut it off just over halfway through. Boring, cliched, boring, and boring.

Revolutionary Road: whoever said it was similar to Blue Valentine was right, it's just a different setting. I liked it, although for different reasons (I liked the acting better in this one, while I prefer the story in Blue Valentine).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Mon Jun 06 4:49 pm

Anyone see the new X Men??

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Jun 06 10:56 pm

Just got back from the Xmen. It was good not great. I definitely thought it was the best one of all of the recent Xmen movies. The only problem is that I felt like I've seen enough of the Xmen in the last handful of years and I know how the story would end up. Still, if you haven't seen the first group of movies, this is the one to start with. If you have, still go see it. It's worth it to see it in the theaters.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jun 07 1:24 pm

Have a spare $6-8,000 laying about? You can bid on Robert Duvall's "Lt. Col. Kilgore's" combat shirt, yellow neck scarf and cavalry hat from Apocalypse Now.
http://www.profilesinhistory.com/debbie ... he-auction

The costume he wore during his famous "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" scene. Reynolds is selling her staggering costume collection and this piece is just one of thousands. Also George C Scotts Patten uniform, model ships from Midway, Peter Boyle's Monster tux from Young Frankenstein, Mike Meyers Austin Powers orange suit. These are just the ones I figured the guys would be interested in, never mind costumes from Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe (who has the honor of the highest estimate in the catalog..her white pleated dress from the famous subway scene in The Seven Year Itch which is listed at 1-2 million dollars).

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Tue Jun 07 10:25 pm

Kelly Red wrote:Also George C Scotts Patten uniform

Patton, not Patten. Please.

Image Signed, a Second Armored Division Guy

On a different note, I watched the first half of the "True Grit" remake tonight (until Blockbuster's streaming tanked on me). WOW. Fantastic film. The actress who played Mattie was amazing. As a big John Wayne fan, this is heresy...but it was better than the original.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 07 11:23 pm

SouthTexGopher wrote:

On a different note, I watched the first half of the "True Grit" remake tonight (until Blockbuster's streaming tanked on me). WOW. Fantastic film. The actress who played Mattie was amazing. As a big John Wayne fan, this is heresy...but it was better than the original.

I won the "True Grit" Netflix sweepstakes. Look forward to seeing it, as the original is one of my all-time faves. Also have "The Town" on the way, which I heard was good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden

Post by SouthTexGopher » Wed Jun 08 7:58 am

Seen on and stolen from Facebook:

Don't text at the Alamo Drafthouse theater.

If you do choose to text, don't be surprised when they kick you out.

If you get kicked out, for God's sake...DO NOT call their company voicemail and leave a profanity laced and grammar-free message. This may happen to you:

Texas movie theater makes an example (and a PSA) of a texting audience member

Alamo Drafthouse, a local chain of dine-and-screen movie theaters in Austin, Texas, has long waged a war against impolite moviegoers. And the latest customer to object to their firm rules against talking and texting during an evening out has become the unwitting star of a PSA released by the company on Monday.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVz-fO7kxcQ[/youtube]

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden

Post by Dances With Gophers » Wed Jun 08 9:08 am

You beat me to it - i just saw this a few minutes ago. LMAO!!!

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jun 08 12:53 pm

SouthTexGopher wrote:

PATTON, of course I know that, fingers moving too fast :D I'm surprised he didn't appear from above and bitch slap me!

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 13 7:45 am

I saw Super 8 yesterday. I thought it was entertaining but not great. I feel about it like I felt after I saw Signs (M. Night Shamalan movie with Mel Gibson.) I thought Signs was really good until the monster actually appeared. Once the monster was revealed, the suspense was lifted. Same goes for Super 8.

rowshkex
Veteran

Post by rowshkex » Mon Jun 13 6:11 pm

Saw There Will Be Blood a few nights ago--I'm still not sure what to think. Strangely fascinating movie, and the beginning and the end are incredible.
is rice chex.
is not Raphael.
is not quite Rau.
is not a hockey mind.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 286 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jun 14 3:50 am

Donnie Darko. It felt like American Beauty on a bad acid trip, but in the end was a much more enjoyable film to watch.

st8ofhockey
Golden
Golden

Post by st8ofhockey » Tue Jun 14 6:55 am

Slap Shot wrote:Donnie Darko. It felt like American Beauty on a bad acid trip, but in the end was a much more enjoyable film to watch.

I feel like I need to watch that film 8 or 9 more times before it makes an ounce of sense. Non-linear timelines confuse the heck out of me... I spend enough time confused as it is :P

oldpirate33
Rookie

Post by oldpirate33 » Tue Jun 14 8:49 am

I watched Buried over the weekend. It took a while to get going, but it turned out to be pretty good. It was definitely different that anything I had ever seen.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Tue Jun 14 3:13 pm

st8ofhockey wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:Donnie Darko. It felt like American Beauty on a bad acid trip, but in the end was a much more enjoyable film to watch.

I feel like I need to watch that film 8 or 9 more times before it makes an ounce of sense. Non-linear timelines confuse the heck out of me... I spend enough time confused as it is :P

I loved this movie. Which is saying something because I generally do not like the Gyllenhaals.
I've watched it between 5-10 times and it was extremely well done.

S. Darko was similar but different. If you can find it somewhere for cheap and enjoyed Donnie Darko, I'd recommend it.

Bushwood Gopher
Veteran

Post by Bushwood Gopher » Tue Jun 14 4:31 pm

X Men: First Class

Thoroughly entertaining. Didn't have a clue what the plot was about prior to seeing it. For some reason I have never watched the other X Men movies but will rent the rest of them after seeing this. Never understood why James McAvoy didn't have more high profile roles after The Last King of Scotland but it looks like he's doing a bunch of stuff now. He was terrific in this movie.

Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden

Post by Hobey Baker » Thu Jun 16 5:26 pm

Bushwood Gopher wrote:X Men: First Class

Thoroughly entertaining. Didn't have a clue what the plot was about prior to seeing it. For some reason I have never watched the other X Men movies but will rent the rest of them after seeing this. Never understood why James McAvoy didn't have more high profile roles after The Last King of Scotland but it looks like he's doing a bunch of stuff now. He was terrific in this movie.

Saw it also and agree you about the movie.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Jun 19 1:06 pm

Kelly Red wrote:Have a spare $6-8,000 laying about? You can bid on Robert Duvall's "Lt. Col. Kilgore's" combat shirt, yellow neck scarf and cavalry hat from Apocalypse Now.
http://www.profilesinhistory.com/debbie ... he-auction

The costume he wore during his famous "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" scene. Reynolds is selling her staggering costume collection and this piece is just one of thousands. Also George C Scotts Patten uniform, model ships from Midway, Peter Boyle's Monster tux from Young Frankenstein, Mike Meyers Austin Powers orange suit. These are just the ones I figured the guys would be interested in, never mind costumes from Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe (who has the honor of the highest estimate in the catalog..her white pleated dress from the famous subway scene in The Seven Year Itch which is listed at 1-2 million dollars).
The auction was yesterday and this item went for $18,450.00!!! The Seven Year Itch dress clocked in at 5.5 million dollars.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Chris83 » Tue Jun 28 8:13 pm

Zwak wrote:I saw Super 8 yesterday. I thought it was entertaining but not great. I feel about it like I felt after I saw Signs (M. Night Shamalan movie with Mel Gibson.) I thought Signs was really good until the monster actually appeared. Once the monster was revealed, the suspense was lifted. Same goes for Super 8.

Saw it this afternoon. I felt it was a tremendous amount of fun. The kids in the film did a tremendous job.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 07 12:11 am

Have "Hobo With A Shotgun" and "13 Assassins" on their way. New releases on Netflix. Apparently they are the extremes in their respective genres (B-Movie and bloody action). Will report back. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Jul 07 10:28 am

The Rube wrote:Have "Hobo With A Shotgun" and "13 Assassins" on their way. New releases on Netflix. Apparently they are the extremes in their respective genres (B-Movie and bloody action). Will report back. :D
I enjoyed "13 Assassins" very much, great battle scene that lasts forever and still manages to be interesting! Comedy, loyalty, fabulous cinematography, good script. "Hobo", not so much. I can laugh at the genre (loved Grindhouse) but the poor production values and cringe worthy "acting" made this one hard to watch. Like many an SNL sketch, what is amusing as a fake trailer, does not translate to a full length film. :confused2:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 07 8:11 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
The Rube wrote:Have "Hobo With A Shotgun" and "13 Assassins" on their way. New releases on Netflix. Apparently they are the extremes in their respective genres (B-Movie and bloody action). Will report back. :D
I enjoyed "13 Assassins" very much, great battle scene that lasts forever and still manages to be interesting! Comedy, loyalty, fabulous cinematography, good script. "Hobo", not so much. I can laugh at the genre (loved Grindhouse) but the poor production values and cringe worthy "acting" made this one hard to watch. Like many an SNL sketch, what is amusing as a fake trailer, does not translate to a full length film. :confused2:

The question with "Hobo" is how much of it was intentional? I mean, in "Planet Terror," you have this gem:

Cherry Darling: I'm Cherry.
Dr. Dakota Block: You sure are.

From the trailer, it looks like Hobo is very intentional. But, will have to judge it after I watch the whole thing. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 10 8:22 pm

Just got done with "Hobo With A Shotgun." This movie is sooooooooo bad it's hilarious. Obviously done this way on purpose, it's got everything from any B-movie schlockfest one may have seen. It's not as smart as Tarantino's/Rodriguez's stuff, but it is more over the top. It'd probably even be better watching it MST3K style with drunk friends.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Eckes
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Eckes » Mon Jul 11 7:33 am

The Rube wrote:Just got done with "Hobo With A Shotgun." This movie is sooooooooo bad it's hilarious. Obviously done this way on purpose, it's got everything from any B-movie schlockfest one may have seen. It's not as smart as Tarantino's/Rodriguez's stuff, but it is more over the top. It'd probably even be better watching it MST3K style with drunk friends.

Watch Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. It's a recent spoof of a 1950s B-movie in the sci-fi genre. Hilarious.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Jul 11 7:50 am

I saw Horrible Bosses yesterday. It was just ok. Not great, not awful. Had a few funny lines that made me chuckle but that was about it.

Movie Pet Peeve: I know when you see a movie you are supposed to suspend belief, but there was a trailer for a new Anna Faris romantic comedy yesterday. Are we supposed to honestly believe that some one who looks like Anna Faris has a hard time finding a guy? There should be a moratorium on romantic comedies until they come up with something original and somewhat unpredictable.

Hammy
Veteran

Post by Hammy » Mon Jul 11 1:35 pm

The next James Bond movie's cast is starting round out. Looks like a very good cast. Javier Bardem as the "bad guy". That could be pretty damn sweet as he is great in that kind of role.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/1 ... 94474.html
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by george » Mon Jul 11 4:34 pm

Zwak wrote:I saw Horrible Bosses yesterday. It was just ok. Not great, not awful. Had a few funny lines that made me chuckle but that was about it.

Movie Pet Peeve: I know when you see a movie you are supposed to suspend belief, but there was a trailer for a new Anna Faris romantic comedy yesterday. Are we supposed to honestly believe that some one who looks like Anna Faris has a hard time finding a guy? There should be a moratorium on romantic comedies until they come up with something original and somewhat unpredictable.

I understand that one of the premises of Horrible Bosses is that Jenifer Aniston is desperate enough to hit on some schlub who works for her. Does it get any harder to believe than that?