Movies

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Post Reply
dxmnkd316

Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Nov 01 9:06 pm

For all the hype and buildup Avatar received, that movie looks terrible.

User avatar
DrunkHockeyGuy
Veteran
Posts: 4584
Joined: Sun Feb 13 10:49 am
Location: Centerville
Age: 41

Re: Movies

Post by DrunkHockeyGuy » Sun Nov 01 9:12 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:For all the hype and buildup Avatar received, that movie looks terrible.



That's why they are hyping it up.
Apparently, I am a little bitch, oh the horror.

Ballz
Veteran
Posts: 826
Joined: Sun Nov 13 8:55 pm
Location: Longfellow

Re: Movies

Post by Ballz » Mon Nov 23 6:40 pm

The new Twilight movie has beaten The Dark Night in opening week revenue. I am rapidly losing faith in humanity. :dope:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/104/1048841p1.html

User avatar
Doughboy
Rookie
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Apr 18 10:04 pm
Location: The couch, frozen lakes, golf courses

Re: Movies

Post by Doughboy » Sat Nov 28 11:14 am

Watched "300" the other night. One of my favorites.
If you are not going to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them

User avatar
Elm Grove Gopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue Nov 09 1:45 pm
Location: Mequon, WI
Age: 57

Re: Movies

Post by Elm Grove Gopher » Sat Nov 28 11:59 am

Saw "Blindside" the other day. Didn't think I would like it but it's good. Took the kids and they even got a little Thanksgiving Day lesson from it.

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Nov 28 1:24 pm

Elm Grove Gopher wrote:Saw "Blindside" the other day. Didn't think I would like it but it's good. Took the kids and they even got a little Thanksgiving Day lesson from it.


What? Don't talk like you owned Jared Allen? Because you're going to get beat down? :lol:

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13915
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 52 times
Age: 51

Re: Movies

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Nov 28 2:08 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:For all the hype and buildup Avatar received, that movie looks terrible.

It looks ok to me. *shrug*
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Wed Dec 02 9:28 pm

This new movie Brothers looks pretty good. An incredible cast. Jake Gyllenhal, Natalie Portman, and Tobey Maguire.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Dec 02 11:12 pm

The better movies I've seen over the past month or two (joined Netflix, finally):

Doubt (Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman)

Rescue Dawn (Christian Bale, Steve Zahn)

Edgeplay: The Story Of The Runaways (documentary; all of the Runaways minus Joan Jett, who apparently was being a beech about it, are present)

Maxed Out (documentary about the credit card industry)

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (documentary about the MPAA; VERY VERY excellent for movie lovers)

Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood)

The Savages (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Laura Linney)

The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke)

As you may guess, I don't watch a lot of actual tv. It's movies. :oops:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14607
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 61 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Jupiter » Thu Dec 17 9:22 pm

As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.

Checking out the Apple trailers website, I noticed that there is a remake coming out in March. I think this movie is perfect for a remake with the advances in audio & visual special effects since the original. From the looks of it, they seemed to have pulled it off rather well. The new Cracken would have made that 9 year old planet wet himself back in the day.


http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13937
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Movies

Post by streakygopher » Thu Dec 17 9:51 pm

Jupiter wrote:As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.

Checking out the Apple trailers website, I noticed that there is a remake coming out in March. I think this movie is perfect for a remake with the advances in audio & visual special effects since the original. From the looks of it, they seemed to have pulled it off rather well. The new Cracken would have made that 9 year old planet wet himself back in the day.


http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

Yeah, I always liked the greek mythology thing too. After Jurassaic Park, anything should be possible and I'm looking forward to seeing this one - hopefully, the story will be interesting...can't remember, but didn't Clash O.T.T. put together a mish mash of myths, such as Perseus, Jason etc.? I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the Odyssey as well.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Thu Dec 17 10:54 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Jupiter wrote:As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.

Checking out the Apple trailers website, I noticed that there is a remake coming out in March. I think this movie is perfect for a remake with the advances in audio & visual special effects since the original. From the looks of it, they seemed to have pulled it off rather well. The new Cracken would have made that 9 year old planet wet himself back in the day.


http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

Yeah, I always liked the greek mythology thing too. After Jurassaic Park, anything should be possible and I'm looking forward to seeing this one - hopefully, the story will be interesting...can't remember, but didn't Clash O.T.T. put together a mish mash of myths, such as Perseus, Jason etc.? I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the Odyssey as well.


The Clash Of The Titans wasn't exactly following the mythology, though. Murdering is more like it. That being said, it was a good, but way creepy, movie.

A couple that I've seen recently, and recommend:

The Notorious Bettie Page

Wesley Willis: Daddy Of Rock'n'Roll
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Oct 05 12:04 pm
Location: Eltville am Rhein
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 44 times
Age: 46
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Dances With Gophers » Fri Dec 18 9:23 am

Jupiter wrote:As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.

Checking out the Apple trailers website, I noticed that there is a remake coming out in March. I think this movie is perfect for a remake with the advances in audio & visual special effects since the original. From the looks of it, they seemed to have pulled it off rather well. The new Cracken would have made that 9 year old planet wet himself back in the day.


http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

Is it just me, or does the kraken look like a knock-off of the LOTR cave troll?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZ5D_Wc4cA
(kraken face shot at 1:58)

Image
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7626
Joined: Mon Nov 27 9:22 pm

Re: Movies

Post by SouthTexGopher » Fri Dec 18 9:31 am

Totally, Dances.

It also looks like a recycle of the Rancor from Star Wars...
The world is bigger than Minnesota, kids.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 14607
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 61 times
Age: 47
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Jupiter » Fri Dec 18 9:39 am

Anything is better than this:

Image

User avatar
Hobey Baker
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13766
Joined: Mon Feb 14 11:33 am
Been liked: 1 time
Age: 52

Re: Movies

Post by Hobey Baker » Fri Dec 18 11:25 am

I am interested in the new Sherlock Holmes movie!

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 2755
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Movies

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Dec 18 2:35 pm

The Rube wrote:The better movies I've seen over the past month or two (joined Netflix, finally):

Doubt (Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman)

Rescue Dawn (Christian Bale, Steve Zahn)

Edgeplay: The Story Of The Runaways (documentary; all of the Runaways minus Joan Jett, who apparently was being a beech about it, are present)

Maxed Out (documentary about the credit card industry)

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (documentary about the MPAA; VERY VERY excellent for movie lovers)

Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood)

The Savages (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Laura Linney)

The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke)

As you may guess, I don't watch a lot of actual tv. It's movies. :oops:
Rube-Here's a few others you might want to put on your NetFlix list: I'm a film historian and read spec scripts for studios, I see about 75 films a year (in a theater, lord knows how many at home on DVD) so here goes:
Who Killed the Electric Car - doc
Layer Cake
KIss Kiss Bang Bang
Run Lola Run- get the subtitled German version, not the English dubbed
Memento
Murderball-doc
You can check most of these out on YouTube for a trailer. All some of my favorites; well written and well acted little known gems.

Hammy
Veteran
Posts: 14862
Joined: Wed Apr 09 3:06 pm
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Hammy » Fri Dec 18 3:02 pm

Jupiter wrote:As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.


If you were anything like me, then the big attraction to “Clash of the Titans” back then was Andromeda… that actress was fine! :mrgreen:
Twitter: Hammy Hockey

User avatar
Elm Grove Gopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1379
Joined: Tue Nov 09 1:45 pm
Location: Mequon, WI
Age: 57

Re: Movies

Post by Elm Grove Gopher » Fri Dec 18 3:11 pm

You guys are too high brow for me. :) My son and I just enjoyed an evening without Mom and big sister and had a Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs double feature.

God Bless Mel Brooks.

User avatar
Loc85
Veteran
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sat Oct 28 10:15 am
Location: Crystal, MN
Age: 34

Re: Movies

Post by Loc85 » Fri Dec 18 3:30 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Jupiter wrote:As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.

Checking out the Apple trailers website, I noticed that there is a remake coming out in March. I think this movie is perfect for a remake with the advances in audio & visual special effects since the original. From the looks of it, they seemed to have pulled it off rather well. The new Cracken would have made that 9 year old planet wet himself back in the day.


http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

Yeah, I always liked the greek mythology thing too. After Jurassaic Park, anything should be possible and I'm looking forward to seeing this one - hopefully, the story will be interesting...can't remember, but didn't Clash O.T.T. put together a mish mash of myths, such as Perseus, Jason etc.? I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the Odyssey as well.


Could say that "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is a remake of Odyssey, but it is so loosely based on the book that it is hard to say so.

User avatar
st8ofhockey
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sat Apr 07 10:29 pm
Location: Loring Park

Re: Movies

Post by st8ofhockey » Fri Dec 18 3:32 pm

Loc85 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
Jupiter wrote:As a young kid.... I always like the Clash of the Titans. Sure it was a bit cheesy and the special effects were terrible, but it always entertained me. I suppose I would still watch it if I saw it on tv today.

Checking out the Apple trailers website, I noticed that there is a remake coming out in March. I think this movie is perfect for a remake with the advances in audio & visual special effects since the original. From the looks of it, they seemed to have pulled it off rather well. The new Cracken would have made that 9 year old planet wet himself back in the day.


http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

Yeah, I always liked the greek mythology thing too. After Jurassaic Park, anything should be possible and I'm looking forward to seeing this one - hopefully, the story will be interesting...can't remember, but didn't Clash O.T.T. put together a mish mash of myths, such as Perseus, Jason etc.? I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the Odyssey as well.


Could say that "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is a remake of Odyssey, but it is so loosely based on the book that it is hard to say so.


It's also a terrible movie, so that makes it harder to say :D

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Fri Dec 18 6:40 pm

Kelly Red wrote:Rube-Here's a few others you might want to put on your NetFlix list: I'm a film historian and read spec scripts for studios, I see about 75 films a year (in a theater, lord knows how many at home on DVD) so here goes:
Who Killed the Electric Car - doc
Layer Cake
KIss Kiss Bang Bang
Run Lola Run- get the subtitled German version, not the English dubbed
Memento
Murderball-doc
You can check most of these out on YouTube for a trailer. All some of my favorites; well written and well acted little known gems.


Thanks for the suggestions! I do have Memento and Murderball (really wanting to see that one)on my list, and I've heard good things of the rest, but it's good to know that someone who watches that many movies specifically point them out. 8)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9277
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 25 times
Age: 53

Re: Movies

Post by Zwak » Sat Dec 19 7:01 am

The Rube wrote:
Kelly Red wrote:Rube-Here's a few others you might want to put on your NetFlix list: I'm a film historian and read spec scripts for studios, I see about 75 films a year (in a theater, lord knows how many at home on DVD) so here goes:
Who Killed the Electric Car - doc
Layer Cake
KIss Kiss Bang Bang
Run Lola Run- get the subtitled German version, not the English dubbed
Memento
Murderball-doc
You can check most of these out on YouTube for a trailer. All some of my favorites; well written and well acted little known gems.


Thanks for the suggestions! I do have Memento and Murderball (really wanting to see that one)on my list, and I've heard good things of the rest, but it's good to know that someone who watches that many movies specifically point them out. 8)


Murderball was awesome. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
dock
Golden
Golden
Posts: 925
Joined: Sat Feb 12 8:57 am
Location: Back to St Paul

Re: Movies

Post by dock » Sat Dec 19 8:03 am

Kelly Red wrote:
The Rube wrote:The better movies I've seen over the past month or two (joined Netflix, finally):

Doubt (Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman)

Rescue Dawn (Christian Bale, Steve Zahn)

Edgeplay: The Story Of The Runaways (documentary; all of the Runaways minus Joan Jett, who apparently was being a beech about it, are present)

Maxed Out (documentary about the credit card industry)

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (documentary about the MPAA; VERY VERY excellent for movie lovers)

Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood)

The Savages (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Laura Linney)

The Wrestler (Mickey Rourke)

As you may guess, I don't watch a lot of actual tv. It's movies. :oops:
Rube-Here's a few others you might want to put on your NetFlix list: I'm a film historian and read spec scripts for studios, I see about 75 films a year (in a theater, lord knows how many at home on DVD) so here goes:
Who Killed the Electric Car - doc
Layer Cake
KIss Kiss Bang Bang
Run Lola Run- get the subtitled German version, not the English dubbed
Memento
Murderball-doc
You can check most of these out on YouTube for a trailer. All some of my favorites; well written and well acted little known gems.


Rube, you seem to have the same movie tastes as me, and I agree with KellyRed's suggestions. One more to add to your list would be Europa Europa. Subtitled. It is about a Jewish kid surviving the holocaust by joining Hitler's SS troops...

User avatar
Superstar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Feb 15 12:21 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Movies

Post by Superstar » Sat Dec 19 1:02 pm

Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Dec 19 4:05 pm

Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.


Perhaps it's such a good story because it already won the best picture and best writing academy awards:

Link

(or so I've been told :D )

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sat Dec 19 8:24 pm

dock wrote:Rube, you seem to have the same movie tastes as me, and I agree with KellyRed's suggestions. One more to add to your list would be Europa Europa. Subtitled. It is about a Jewish kid surviving the holocaust by joining Hitler's SS troops...


I'll add that one, too.

Now, I haven't seen the following, but have heard good things from a movie geek friend of mine:

Confessions Of A Superhero (doc on people like the St Cloud Superman)
Manhattan Melodrama (stars Clark Gable; a snippet is shown in the movie "Public Enemies")
Taking Woodstock
Buffalo '66
Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus (Lorenzo Lamas, Deborah "Don't Call Me Debbie" Gibson...how can you go wrong?!) :dance:

Ok, that last one is, by all accounts, a crappy movie, but I guess it was supposed to be a crappy movie, almost an homage to crappy movies, like the Grindhouse double-feature (which I loved).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sat Dec 19 9:31 pm

I'm all about crappy movies, so we watched Thankskilling back in november. Pretty bad. The only redeeming quality was the first line in the movie let's just say it rhymed with:

Nice *hits* *witch*...

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Dec 20 12:11 am

I ended up seeing The Hangover tonight. THat has got to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Absolutely hilarious.

User avatar
Superstar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Feb 15 12:21 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Movies

Post by Superstar » Sun Dec 20 2:11 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:I ended up seeing The Hangover tonight. THat has got to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Absolutely hilarious.

How original....a bachelor party in Vegas and a bunch of bad and crazy things happen. :roll:

Sorry Matt...after your little post about Avatar's story already winning oscars...had to give you SOME grief. ;)
I did like the Hangover, too, though.

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Dec 20 11:46 am

Superstar wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:I ended up seeing The Hangover tonight. THat has got to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Absolutely hilarious.

How original....a bachelor party in Vegas and a bunch of bad and crazy things happen. :roll:

Sorry Matt...after your little post about Avatar's story already winning oscars...had to give you SOME grief. ;)
I did like the Hangover, too, though.


Naturally. :D

User avatar
Superstar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Feb 15 12:21 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Movies

Post by Superstar » Sun Dec 20 12:01 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Naturally. :D

And FWIW (I'll probably get grief for this)....I've never seen Dances With Wolves (just not usually into that genre let alone one that's 4hrs long).

User avatar
ScoobyDoo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13915
Joined: Wed Apr 09 8:30 pm
Location: Eden Prairie
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 52 times
Age: 51

Re: Movies

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sun Dec 20 12:34 pm

Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.

Good to hear. I'm going Monday night and it's cool to see something positive on one of the hockey boards. Most people are ripping it to shred before even seeing it.
Golden Gopher Softball Booster
posted by sunbone "Sixer- I admit when it comes to Gopher football I make Scooby Doo look like the President of the Optimists Club." :ahhh:
also posted by sunbone "Scooby, a.k.a., Mr. Sunshine."
On my lawn chair on the ledge. Being wrong 75% of the time and loving every minute of it.

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Sun Dec 20 12:40 pm

Superstar wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:Naturally. :D

And FWIW (I'll probably get grief for this)....I've never seen Dances With Wolves (just not usually into that genre let alone one that's 4hrs long).


I saw it once when it first came out to VHS and have only seen bits and pieces of it since. I'm not a big fan of those movies either. :thumbdown:

ScoobyDoo wrote:Good to hear. I'm going Monday night and it's cool to see something positive on one of the hockey boards. Most people are ripping it to shred before even seeing it.


Contrary to popular belief, you can judge a book by its cover.

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5074
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 33

Re: Movies

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Dec 21 10:59 pm

Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.


I went and saw it tonight and totally agree. It was very good and lived up to what I expected. Granted, I wasn't expecting the best movie ever, but it was very interesting and kept me entertained the whole time. I saw it in 2D and there were definitely parts of it that I wanted to see what they would look like in 3D, so I'll have to do that while it's still in theaters. I highly suggest seeing it, even if you think it's going to suck.

User avatar
WPoS
Veteran
Posts: 4731
Joined: Fri Apr 11 5:06 pm
Location: lunatics annonymous
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by WPoS » Tue Dec 22 2:02 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:
Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.


Perhaps it's such a good story because it already won the best picture and best writing academy awards:

Link

(or so I've been told :D )


Avatar is Obama?

W
Beer Darts Champion of the WORLD!

User avatar
GOPHER FREAK
Rookie
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun Feb 13 10:43 am
Location: In a swoon

Re: Movies

Post by GOPHER FREAK » Tue Dec 22 2:17 pm

I watched a good one last night. It was about a snowstorm that killed everyone in the midwest on Christmas eve and Christmas day. Oh wait, that was the news.

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Tue Dec 22 2:35 pm

GOPHER FREAK wrote:I watched a good one last night. It was about a snowstorm that killed everyone in the midwest on Christmas eve and Christmas day. Oh wait, that was the news.


:lol:

Is this a sequel to the one that just played out east?

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6226
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 28 times
Age: 46

Re: Movies

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Dec 22 4:19 pm

On snowy winter days two movies are always at the top of my list: Grumpy Old Men and Out Cold! They always amuse me when ever I watch them, I recommend them to anyone!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3464
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 8 times
Age: 34

Re: Movies

Post by MATT » Tue Jan 12 5:18 pm

A Peek Into Netflix Queues
pretty cool interactive map to "Examine Netflix rental patterns, neighborhood by neighborhood, in a dozen cities."

User avatar
oldpirate33
Rookie
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Sep 14 11:12 am

Re: Movies

Post by oldpirate33 » Tue Jan 12 5:28 pm

WPoS wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:
Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.


Perhaps it's such a good story because it already won the best picture and best writing academy awards:

Link

(or so I've been told :D )


Avatar is Obama?

W


Image

Goldy Gopher
Rookie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Oct 11 2:25 pm
Location: Saint Paul

Re: Movies

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Jan 12 6:12 pm

g_manpucker wrote:On snowy winter days two movies are always at the top of my list: Grumpy Old Men and Out Cold! They always amuse me when ever I watch them, I recommend them to anyone!


I'll second Out Cold - Zach Galifianakis rocks.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Tue Jan 12 9:56 pm

Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Wed Jan 13 9:13 pm

Pi was f'ing nuts. I watched it like 7-8 years ago. I didn't know what was going on half the time. I really want to watch it again now that I might be able to understand it.

User avatar
Aldy
Golden
Golden
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri May 11 1:53 pm
Location: Section 24
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Age: 63

Re: Movies

Post by Aldy » Tue Jan 19 10:43 am

The Rube wrote:Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.


As a "Math Geek", you piqued my interest. I just bought it off ebay so I will let you know what I think of the movie after it arrives. Thanks for the recommendation.

User avatar
drmatthew21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Aug 18 9:09 pm
Location: fargo
Age: 42

Re: Movies

Post by drmatthew21 » Tue Jan 19 11:17 am

The Rube wrote:Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.


Pi is wonderful. Darren Aronofsky is a great director. Another one of his films was great as well...Requeim for a Dream..movie is so dark and disturbing.

User avatar
st8ofhockey
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sat Apr 07 10:29 pm
Location: Loring Park

Re: Movies

Post by st8ofhockey » Tue Jan 19 11:33 am

drmatthew21 wrote:
The Rube wrote:Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.


Pi is wonderful. Darren Aronofsky is a great director. Another one of his films was great as well...Requeim for a Dream..movie is so dark and disturbing.


Agree to disagree I guess. I saw Pi a few years back on March 14th (Pi Day); it was interesting as like an art film and the creative direction it took, IMO, but the story was over my head. Call me shallow I guess. Requiem, on the other hand... I just didn't get it. Poster child for that genre I just don't understand (see: Donnie Darko, Eternal Sunshine, Fight Club, etc)

User avatar
Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8505
Joined: Thu Apr 13 1:59 pm
Location: Section 7
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times
Age: 43

Re: Movies

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Tue Jan 19 11:34 am

oldpirate33 wrote:
WPoS wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:
Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.


Perhaps it's such a good story because it already won the best picture and best writing academy awards:

Link

(or so I've been told :D )


Avatar is Obama?t

W


Image



Saw Avitar in 3-D and I have to say the FX were pretty good. I would have to agree with those who have said the plot was hijacked. Overall it was entertaining, though I could have done without the agenda.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

User avatar
Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Oct 05 12:04 pm
Location: Eltville am Rhein
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 44 times
Age: 46
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by Dances With Gophers » Mon Feb 01 1:59 pm

Oh. My. Lord.

Olivia Newton-John to Star in 'Score: A Hockey Musical' Flick

Newton-John, star of the 1978 film adaptation of the Broadway musical GREASE, will play the mother of a teen hockey star. Michael McGowan, director and writer of the award-wining "Saint Ralph," will direct.

Aside from acting in the film, Newton-John will co-write and perform a song for the movie's credits with co-star and singer-songwriter from Canada Marc Jordan. Jordan plays her husband in the film.

The film begins shooting in Toronto next week and is set to be released on October 22.


I can only imagine the titles of some of the songs...
Suddenly, it all makes sense: "ND produces enough sugarbeets that produce enough sugar to sweeten 27 billion gallons of Kool-Aid." ND Fun Facts :ahhh:

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 4630
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by gopher6 » Mon Feb 01 2:20 pm

Golden FE Ranger wrote:
oldpirate33 wrote:
WPoS wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:
Superstar wrote:Since I don't think anyone has commented about it yet, I will.....Avatar is REALLY good. Wasn't expecting to like it when I was first seeing the trailers. Then I saw a trailer in 3D and thought it looked better so I'd give it a shot. Went and saw it yesterday in 3D and WOW. FINALLY a blockbuster special effects movie that has a great storyline too. I definitely recommend it. It's a bit long...but there isn't a scene throughout the entire movie that I'd make shorter or cut completely. It flowed really well.


Perhaps it's such a good story because it already won the best picture and best writing academy awards:

Link

(or so I've been told :D )


Avatar is Obama?t

I went to see the 3d verion, I kept falling asleep inthe theater, I never have fallen asleep in a movie theater before :bored:

W


Image



Saw Avitar in 3-D and I have to say the FX were pretty good. I would have to agree with those who have said the plot was hijacked. Overall it was entertaining, though I could have done without the agenda.

User avatar
Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8505
Joined: Thu Apr 13 1:59 pm
Location: Section 7
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times
Age: 43

Re: Movies

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Mon Feb 01 2:21 pm

I was trapped in Idaho Falls for work last week so I decided to see Book of Eli. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, but I have a feeling I will be in the minority on this one. Even if you don't like the movie, Mila Kunis is :thumbup: .
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9277
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 25 times
Age: 53

Re: Movies

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 01 2:28 pm

My wife and I saw Up in the Air on Saturday and I went to Avatar by myself yesterday. Both were very enjoyable. I recommend them both, but don't think either is worthy of Best Picture. That said, the visuals in Avatar were amazing and totally brought me in. I would not recommend waiting to rent it. It needs to be seen in a theater, and especially in 3-D.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Doughboy
Rookie
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Apr 18 10:04 pm
Location: The couch, frozen lakes, golf courses

Re: Movies

Post by Doughboy » Fri Feb 05 7:48 pm

Watched Inglourious Basterds last night. Brad Pitt's acting is a riot. I laughed quite a few times.
If you are not going to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them

User avatar
Kelor
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5728
Joined: Sat Feb 12 7:19 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Movies

Post by Kelor » Fri Feb 05 8:38 pm

If you all think Avatar was a ripoff of Pocahontas, you should see the animated movie called Fern Gully. It is THE exact same movie.

As a quick side, about 15 yrs ago, I accidentally taped over my daughters VHS tape that had Fern Gully on it when Jerry Springer had a big boobs episode.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 10 9:45 pm

A couple that I've recently watched and really enjoyed:

"Confessions Of A Superhero": doc on those people who dress up as superheroes on Hollywood Blvd and work for tips (pics with tourists and such). Part of you feels sorry that they never caught their dream (yet), another part laughs/feels sorry for how delusional they are.

"Appaloosa": Great western, even though Renee Zellweger is in it (I seriously wanted to punch her in the face in this movie, she's so annoying). Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen are awesome in this.

"Wesley Willis' Joyrides": doc on the rock star/artist from Chicago. Diagnosed chronic schizophrenic (before he hit it "big" relatively), has a smallish but hardcore following in his music and art (which I am). Very interesting. Many bigger rock stars (eg: Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins) are huge fans of his music. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13937
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Movies

Post by streakygopher » Wed Feb 10 10:27 pm

Kelor wrote:
As a quick side, about 15 yrs ago, I accidentally taped over my daughters VHS tape that had Fern Gully on it when Jerry Springer had a big boobs episode.


Funny, but get back to me when you tape over your wedding video with Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.....hey, it was "squint like clint week," I saw there was a tape rarin' to go, and I just hit "record"

User avatar
Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Posts: 12459
Joined: Mon Nov 14 12:11 pm
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
Age: 41

Re: Movies

Post by Armadillo » Wed Feb 10 10:43 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Kelor wrote:
As a quick side, about 15 yrs ago, I accidentally taped over my daughters VHS tape that had Fern Gully on it when Jerry Springer had a big boobs episode.


Funny, but get back to me when you tape over your wedding video with Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.....hey, it was "squint like clint week," I saw there was a tape rarin' to go, and I just hit "record"


Let me give you boys a tip learned from my many years on this Earth:

Image
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Wed Feb 10 10:46 pm

Guys, come on, it's the twenty-f'ing-first century. How hard is it to get your wedding on a DVD (or transfer it to DVD)? Or you can simply remove the tab on the VHS that allows you to record over it.

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13937
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Movies

Post by streakygopher » Wed Feb 10 11:30 pm

dxmnkd316 wrote:Guys, come on, it's the twenty-f'ing-first century. How hard is it to get your wedding on a DVD (or transfer it to DVD)? Or you can simply remove the tab on the VHS that allows you to record over it.


Um, it was 22 years ago for me....DVDs weren't even invented...and I learned about the tab after I thoughtlessly and carelessly erased my past :oops:

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Wed Feb 10 11:37 pm

streakygopher wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:Guys, come on, it's the twenty-f'ing-first century. How hard is it to get your wedding on a DVD (or transfer it to DVD)? Or you can simply remove the tab on the VHS that allows you to record over it.


Um, it was 22 years ago for me....DVDs weren't even invented...and I learned about the tab after I thoughtlessly and carelessly erased my past :oops:


Oh s :censored: t... Sorry to hear that. How did your wife take it and how did you clean up after your own personal hiroshima?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 11 11:30 pm

Secretary:

Wow. Um.....hooo-boy. It's uh, hm. I really don't know where to begin, actually. Creepy, disturbing, darkly funny, a little twisted.......very good movie. James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal were great choices, as both were solid in their roles.

If I were to put it into "marketing-speak" I would say that it's "a non-traditional love story." I guess that's the best way to put it. It's definitely not for everyone, as in, if you have reservations about alternative sorts of lifestyles, this movie might really get to you. The first 3/4 toys with the boundaries of what is considered normal, and the last 1/4 really pushes it. We're not talking chains/whips/chips/dips wax on the nipples sort of thing, but still......

It's definitely not a light movie. This one is undivided attention, to really take it in, and even then, it's one to mull over. I'd say it's worth seeing.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Doughboy
Rookie
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Apr 18 10:04 pm
Location: The couch, frozen lakes, golf courses

Re: Movies

Post by Doughboy » Fri Feb 12 12:54 am

The Hurt Locker :D

Very tense.

The soldiers that go through this. Wow
If you are not going to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them

User avatar
streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 13937
Joined: Thu Dec 30 9:49 am
Location: anywhere but the middle of the road
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Movies

Post by streakygopher » Fri Feb 12 10:11 am

dxmnkd316 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:Guys, come on, it's the twenty-f'ing-first century. How hard is it to get your wedding on a DVD (or transfer it to DVD)? Or you can simply remove the tab on the VHS that allows you to record over it.


Um, it was 22 years ago for me....DVDs weren't even invented...and I learned about the tab after I thoughtlessly and carelessly erased my past :oops:


Oh s :censored: t... Sorry to hear that. How did your wife take it and how did you clean up after your own personal hiroshima?

Turned out for me that the past is best left, well, in the past. :wink:

dxmnkd316

Re: Movies

Post by dxmnkd316 » Fri Feb 12 10:56 am

streakygopher wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:
streakygopher wrote:
dxmnkd316 wrote:Guys, come on, it's the twenty-f'ing-first century. How hard is it to get your wedding on a DVD (or transfer it to DVD)? Or you can simply remove the tab on the VHS that allows you to record over it.


Um, it was 22 years ago for me....DVDs weren't even invented...and I learned about the tab after I thoughtlessly and carelessly erased my past :oops:


Oh s :censored: t... Sorry to hear that. How did your wife take it and how did you clean up after your own personal hiroshima?

Turned out for me that the past is best left, well, in the past. :wink:


haha, gotcha.

SouthTexGopher
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7626
Joined: Mon Nov 27 9:22 pm

Re: Movies

Post by SouthTexGopher » Sun Feb 14 9:27 pm

Went to Percy Jackson and the Olympians today with the family...based on on the book series by San Antonio's own Rick Riordan. Good movie, although it apparently took great license from the books (according to Grace, age 9). If you're looking for a fun family movie, you could do much worse.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI08-pCFJj0[/youtube]
The world is bigger than Minnesota, kids.

User avatar
trixR4kids
Veteran
Posts: 14106
Joined: Sun Feb 15 5:06 pm
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 11 times
Age: 31

Re: Movies

Post by trixR4kids » Sun Feb 14 11:19 pm

st8ofhockey wrote:
drmatthew21 wrote:
The Rube wrote:Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.


Pi is wonderful. Darren Aronofsky is a great director. Another one of his films was great as well...Requeim for a Dream..movie is so dark and disturbing.


Agree to disagree I guess. I saw Pi a few years back on March 14th (Pi Day); it was interesting as like an art film and the creative direction it took, IMO, but the story was over my head. Call me shallow I guess. Requiem, on the other hand... I just didn't get it. Poster child for that genre I just don't understand (see: Donnie Darko, Eternal Sunshine, Fight Club, etc)

Requiem is something you show your kids to keep them away from drugs. God that movie is depressing but it's very well done and disturbing to say the least.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Sun Feb 14 11:21 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
st8ofhockey wrote:
drmatthew21 wrote:
The Rube wrote:Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.


Pi is wonderful. Darren Aronofsky is a great director. Another one of his films was great as well...Requeim for a Dream..movie is so dark and disturbing.


Agree to disagree I guess. I saw Pi a few years back on March 14th (Pi Day); it was interesting as like an art film and the creative direction it took, IMO, but the story was over my head. Call me shallow I guess. Requiem, on the other hand... I just didn't get it. Poster child for that genre I just don't understand (see: Donnie Darko, Eternal Sunshine, Fight Club, etc)

Requiem is something you show your kids to keep them away from drugs. God that movie is depressing but it's very well done and disturbing to say the least.


As far as something every teen needs to see (and all adults) but yet you don't want them to see it: "Kids." Watched it once. It was tough to finish. I'll never see it again, but I'm glad I saw it once.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9277
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 25 times
Age: 53

Re: Movies

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 15 6:06 am

The Rube wrote:
trixR4kids wrote:
st8ofhockey wrote:
drmatthew21 wrote:
The Rube wrote:Pi: Faith In Chaos

Awesome. Total mind :censored: .

Recommend it for all you math geeks, too.


Pi is wonderful. Darren Aronofsky is a great director. Another one of his films was great as well...Requeim for a Dream..movie is so dark and disturbing.


Agree to disagree I guess. I saw Pi a few years back on March 14th (Pi Day); it was interesting as like an art film and the creative direction it took, IMO, but the story was over my head. Call me shallow I guess. Requiem, on the other hand... I just didn't get it. Poster child for that genre I just don't understand (see: Donnie Darko, Eternal Sunshine, Fight Club, etc)

Requiem is something you show your kids to keep them away from drugs. God that movie is depressing but it's very well done and disturbing to say the least.


As far as something every teen needs to see (and all adults) but yet you don't want them to see it: "Kids." Watched it once. It was tough to finish. I'll never see it again, but I'm glad I saw it once.


When Chris Hewitt of the PPress reviewed Kids he said something similar, "It is the best movie that I am never going to see again."
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Superstar
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Feb 15 12:21 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Movies

Post by Superstar » Fri Apr 02 1:31 am

Just got back from seeing Clash of the Titans. It was good...but honestly, aside from the special effects...I think I liked the original better. The story was better. They actually cut a lot out of the remake. :?

And this one...seeing it in 3D didn't make it any better. Could've just done 2D for it. :?

Let me know what you guys think...if you see it.

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5074
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 17 times
Age: 33

Re: Movies

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Apr 02 1:58 am

I saw Hot Tub Time Machine last night and it was actually a lot more funnier than I expected. It does have some raunchy humor so don't bring your kids, but I would suggest it if you wanted a good laugh for 90 minutes.

User avatar
drmatthew21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Aug 18 9:09 pm
Location: fargo
Age: 42

Re: Movies

Post by drmatthew21 » Fri Apr 02 6:39 am

Agree to disagree I guess. I saw Pi a few years back on March 14th (Pi Day); it was interesting as like an art film and the creative direction it took, IMO, but the story was over my head. Call me shallow I guess. Requiem, on the other hand... I just didn't get it. Poster child for that genre I just don't understand (see: Donnie Darko, Eternal Sunshine, Fight Club, etc)[/quote]
Requiem is something you show your kids to keep them away from drugs. God that movie is depressing but it's very well done and disturbing to say the least.[/quote]

As far as something every teen needs to see (and all adults) but yet you don't want them to see it: "Kids." Watched it once. It was tough to finish. I'll never see it again, but I'm glad I saw it once.[/quote]

When Chris Hewitt of the PPress reviewed Kids he said something similar, "It is the best movie that I am never going to see again."[/quote]

Something on a similar line is Happinesess....very disturbing film and a movie you can only watch once

User avatar
Kelor
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5728
Joined: Sat Feb 12 7:19 pm
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Movies

Post by Kelor » Fri Apr 02 6:11 pm

Scarface???? Fudge this!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovMpapeCJQ[/youtube]

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6226
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 28 times
Age: 46

Re: Movies

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Apr 02 9:50 pm

I watched "Wall Street" tonight on Fox Movie Channel tonight. I forgot what a good movie it was, Oliver Stone at his finest!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30097
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 83 times
Contact:

Re: Movies

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 02 10:03 pm

g_manpucker wrote:I watched "Wall Street" tonight on Fox Movie Channel tonight. I forgot what a good movie it was, Oliver Stone at his finest!

On a personal note, I thought "Natural Born Killers" was one of his best, if not his best. :oops:

Watched a couple movies that have been disappointing: The Mist (loved the actual novella, the movie was meh) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

But I do have Inglorious Basterds/Boondock Saints 2 for a nice Saturday doubleheader. :dance:

Edit: Okay, the last hour of "Sarah Marshall" made the first hour of torture a bit worthwhile.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6226
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 28 times
Age: 46

Re: Movies

Post by g-manpuck » Sat Apr 03 6:54 am

The Rube wrote:
g_manpucker wrote:I watched "Wall Street" tonight on Fox Movie Channel tonight. I forgot what a good movie it was, Oliver Stone at his finest!

On a personal note, I thought "Natural Born Killers" was one of his best, if not his best. :oops:

Watched a couple movies that have been disappointing: The Mist (loved the actual novella, the movie was meh) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

But I do have Inglorious Basterds/Boondock Saints 2 for a nice Saturday doubleheader. :dance:

Edit: Okay, the last hour of "Sarah Marshall" made the first hour of torture a bit worthwhile.

Let me know how Boondock 2 is, I have it in my Netflix que. The first movie was a classic!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Post Reply