This might be a dumb question, but...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: This might be a dumb question, but...

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Dec 09 7:58 am

Being offended makes a certain segment of society feel important. Nobody is actually offended by this commercial. Next week it'll be something else and this commercial will be long forgotten.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by george » Mon Dec 09 9:17 am

The Aviator gin commercial in response to the Peleton one is hilarious. Ryan Renolds is a God for getting it made and on air within 72 hours of the first one airing. :lol:

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Norm » Mon Dec 09 9:24 am

For all we know, the day before the commercial was filmed the wife told her husband that she would really like a Peleton bike.

USHANABI
Veteran
Been liked: 30 times

Post by USHANABI » Mon Dec 09 5:56 pm

Who is the fellow up at UNoDak who runs Monte Carlo simulations for predicting the places of teams for the final 16 NCAA Div I Men's Hockey?

And, is there someone on a Hockey forum who also runs Monte Carlo simulations?

AD(Thanks)VANCE
Not knowing what to do, they do what they know . . . .
Gopher Men's Hockey games Countdown page (with 23-year profile and NCAA Rankings links)
Pyramid of Success .jpg - only change I'd make is on Lesson 5: "It takes 10 hands to score a goal"
More from "Coach" Wooden on "Success" in a 17 minute TED talk

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Maize » Mon Dec 09 9:12 pm

USHANABI wrote:
Mon Dec 09 5:56 pm
Who is the fellow up at UNoDak who runs Monte Carlo simulations for predicting the places of teams for the final 16 NCAA Div I Men's Hockey?
Jim Dahl: https://blog.collegehockeyranked.com/

He doesn't start running them until mid-January though.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 137 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Dec 09 9:25 pm

Won't be spending much time on that site this year. All in on the big ten tournament! Hopefully 1000 show if we get home ice!
Sick of LOSERVILLE
105 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Dec 10 5:31 pm

Since the tech thread appears to not be available (or I’m blind) I have a question for the Other IT guys

I was trying to copy photos and movies from two different iPhones this week (to a Win10 PC) and kept getting errors about a loss of communication while importing the movies. I finally went and got them from iCloud (I’ve upgraded the storage on my account but my wife hasn’t) but I can’t find anything about the cause of the error

I feel like I’ve updated everything I can, trusted the devices and computer, and used different cables and USB ports but I still get the errors. Any thoughts or has someone seen this before I consider opening a ticket with Apple?
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by MATT » Tue Dec 10 6:59 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Dec 10 5:31 pm
Since the tech thread appears to not be available (or I’m blind) I have a question for the Other IT guys

I was trying to copy photos and movies from two different iPhones this week (to a Win10 PC) and kept getting errors about a loss of communication while importing the movies. I finally went and got them from iCloud (I’ve upgraded the storage on my account but my wife hasn’t) but I can’t find anything about the cause of the error

I feel like I’ve updated everything I can, trusted the devices and computer, and used different cables and USB ports but I still get the errors. Any thoughts or has someone seen this before I consider opening a ticket with Apple?
Paging the rube

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Dec 10 8:07 pm

MATT wrote:
Tue Dec 10 6:59 pm
davescharf wrote:

Paging the rube
IALTO

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Dec 10 8:44 pm

MATT wrote:
Tue Dec 10 6:59 pm
davescharf wrote:

Paging the rube
If anyone has the answer, it is him.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 10 9:40 pm

Apple doesn't play well with others. I thought that was a fairly established fact. See also: Sony in the 90s and early 2000s. :wave:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Dec 10 10:13 pm

davescharf wrote:

I just recently couldn’t get videos off my iPhone either (onto a PC windows 10) and was getting the communication error. Even tried to get them onto a computer with an older version of windows (that one just crashed). Different cords didn’t help. I never got them transferred.

If you find a resolution let me know. I don’t use the cloud so would like to be able to do it without. My guess is that’s how they force you to use the cloud.....

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Dec 10 10:20 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Dec 10 10:13 pm
davescharf wrote:

I just recently couldn’t get videos off my iPhone either (onto a PC windows 10) and was getting the communication error. Even tried to get them onto a computer with an older version of windows (that one just crashed). Different cords didn’t help. I never got them transferred.

If you find a resolution let me know. I don’t use the cloud so would like to be able to do it without. My guess is that’s how they force you to use the cloud.....
It shouldn't matter if you can get pictures off. 6 months ago this wasn't a problem either and the import should work either way.

I'll let you know if I figure it out...it's certainly weird.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Dec 10 10:22 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 10 9:40 pm
Apple doesn't play well with others. I thought that was a fairly established fact. See also: Sony in the 90s and early 2000s. :wave:
They actually play a lot nicer with Microsoft than they used to.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 10 10:28 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Dec 10 10:22 pm
The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 10 9:40 pm
They actually play a lot nicer with Microsoft than they used to.
Interesting (sincere).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Dec 24 8:22 am

Okay, so Tom and Jerry's are an acquired taste. I can handle one each holiday season but since I've moved to Minnesota I've sampled slight variations of the drink that I spent the better part of the late 90's and early 2000's serving at the Elks Lodge in my hometown with my Dad. Now I always thought it was pretty standard to use warm milk in them but at the Loose Moose here in Mankato they use hot water. Has anybody else heard of using hot water instead of warm milk in them?

When I mentioned this the other night to them at the Moose they looked at me like "why would you use milk?" I was like "why wouldn't you use milk?" Like I said, I'm no Tom and Jerry connoisseur but adding water to a drink seems weird.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Dec 24 9:24 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Tue Dec 24 8:22 am
Okay, so Tom and Jerry's are an acquired taste. I can handle one each holiday season but since I've moved to Minnesota I've sampled slight variations of the drink that I spent the better part of the late 90's and early 2000's serving at the Elks Lodge in my hometown with my Dad. Now I always thought it was pretty standard to use warm milk in them but at the Loose Moose here in Mankato they use hot water. Has anybody else heard of using hot water instead of warm milk in them?

When I mentioned this the other night to them at the Moose they looked at me like "why would you use milk?" I was like "why wouldn't you use milk?" Like I said, I'm no Tom and Jerry connoisseur but adding water to a drink seems weird.
I've never even heard of a Tom and Jerry and I've lived in this state for 18 years

Greyeagle
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 357 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Dec 24 9:29 am

davescharf wrote:
Tue Dec 24 9:24 am
I've never even heard of a Tom and Jerry and I've lived in this state for 18 years
:dope: :swoon1: :biggrin2:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Dec 24 9:34 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Dec 24 9:29 am
davescharf wrote:
:dope: :swoon1: :biggrin2:
I have never heard of it either and I have been here since 1976...

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Dec 24 10:04 am

davescharf wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:

My family makes them and uses hot water. I don’t care for them.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Zwak » Tue Dec 24 11:01 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Dec 24 10:04 am
davescharf wrote:
g-manpuck wrote:

My family makes them and uses hot water. I don’t care for them.
I've definitely heard of them but the only people who ever seem to mention them are over 65 years old. That'll be me in 12 years. :mrgreen:
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 161 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 24 11:30 am

Blech....

I can't get over the description of "batter" for an alcoholic drink.

And yes, I've only ever heard of old people drinking them. That said, not that I am in my mid-forties, I find I enjoy going to breakfast mid-week with buddies and having a cup of coffee. So who knows, I may have to try one.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Dec 24 6:58 pm

I've heard of Tom And Jerry's, but never had one.

That being said, Brandy Old Fashioneds, while tasty, are not TRUE Old Fashioneds. Silly Sconnies.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Dec 24 7:03 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Dec 24 6:58 pm
I've heard of Tom And Jerry's, but never had one.

That being said, Brandy Old Fashioneds, while tasty, are not TRUE Old Fashioneds. Silly Sconnies.
Nope, and Sconnies even add sprite or 7up or sour. Whenever someone asks me to make Old Fashioneds I always ask “real? Or Wisconsin style?”

To tell a family secret, I like Whiskey Old Fashioneds Wisconsin Style. But I’ll never turn down a real Old Fashioned.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Dec 24 8:40 pm

My parents had a carton of the T&J mix in the house every Christmas for years. But the seemed to stop around the time I was old enough to drink and/or they never offered assuming it wasn't something i wouldn't enjoy.

Merry Christmas GPL!!
Currently under construction.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Dec 25 11:18 pm

g-manpuck wrote:

I can not let this atrocity of water in a Tom and Jerry go on!! It is milk! I’ve made them for years and proudly own a vintage Fiestaware punch bowl and mugs emblazoned with gold “Tom & Jerry”. It is milk people...MILK. I made them 2 weeks ago for a little neighborhood gathering and I made them last night for family. It’s very retro :dup: And they are delicious.
Do not let those whack jobs in WI, or apparently Mankato, influence (ruin) another classic cocktail. It’s milk. Do I need to repeat that again?
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Wed Dec 25 11:35 pm

Re: the apple question from a few weeks ago:

"Check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone. If you are using iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage" is enabled in the Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos & Camera, then you cannot download the phtos any longer from the iPhone by using a USB connection to the computer. With the photos stored in iCloud and "Optimize" on, only a fraction of your photos will bestored on the iPhone and be showing in the Import panel on your computer. In that case you need to use iCloud to download the photos from the iPhone to your computer or atleast disable "Optimize Storage" and keep all photos stored on the iPhone in full resolution."

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Dec 25 11:41 pm

kmd wrote:
Wed Dec 25 11:35 pm

"Check, if iCloud Photo Library has become enabled on the iPhone. If you are using iCloud Photo Library and "Optimize Storage" is enabled in the Settings > Your Name > iCloud > Photos & Camera, then you cannot download the phtos any longer from the iPhone by using a USB connection to the computer. With the photos stored in iCloud and "Optimize" on, only a fraction of your photos will bestored on the iPhone and be showing in the Import panel on your computer. In that case you need to use iCloud to download the photos from the iPhone to your computer or atleast disable "Optimize Storage" and keep all photos stored on the iPhone in full resolution."
So what if you don’t use iCloud and still couldn’t transfer videos via USB?

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Thu Dec 26 10:48 am

Even if you don't actively use iCloud, it's probably backing things up there by default, anyways.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jupiter » Thu Dec 26 10:58 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Dec 25 11:41 pm
kmd wrote:
Wed Dec 25 11:35 pm

So what if you don’t use iCloud and still couldn’t transfer videos via USB?
Add the Google Photos app to your phone.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/google-photos/id962194608

It will back up ALL of the photos and videos on your phone to your Google Account (Gmail) online where you can access it.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Dec 26 11:59 am

Dumb question: if you purchase an item on amazon, and part of the charge was paid with a gift card (part with rewards, and the rest with credit card) - do they credit back the gift card? I used the full amount, will it just be put back on the card or left on my account?
I ask here because amazon no longer had a chat service that I could find, and when I called the rep was clueless and just kept repeating her scripts and never really answered my question.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Dec 26 12:59 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Dec 26 11:59 am
Dumb question: if you purchase an item on amazon, and part of the charge was paid with a gift card (part with rewards, and the rest with credit card) - do they credit back the gift card? I used the full amount, will it just be put back on the card or left on my account?
I ask here because amazon no longer had a chat service that I could find, and when I called the rep was clueless and just kept repeating her scripts and never really answered my question.
I guess I can’t speak for Amazon, but other retailers will give you back up to the amount you paid with your credit card and the rest would be a store credit/gift card/e-gift card.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Dec 27 8:16 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Dec 26 12:59 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Dec 26 11:59 am
I guess I can’t speak for Amazon, but other retailers will give you back up to the amount you paid with your credit card and the rest would be a store credit/gift card/e-gift card.
I'm pretty sure that's how Amazon does it too. At least I think I've returned something that was on a mix of credit card and gift code. You'll just have a gift card balance on Amazon to use in the future (you can add multiple gift cards to the system and it keeps a running tally)
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Dec 27 10:08 am

What is the point of the super old 1980s “slot machines” that can be found in small town Wisconsin bars? Are they really slot machines? They look like slot machines with spinning reels but I didn’t think they paid out cash.

I’ve seen some versions that show nude photos but they are cartoon photos so......WTF?

Greyeagle
Has liked: 464 times
Been liked: 357 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Dec 27 10:10 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Dec 27 10:08 am
What is the point of the super old 1980s “slot machines” that can be found in small town Wisconsin bars? Are they really slot machines? They look like slot machines with spinning reels but I didn’t think they paid out cash.

I’ve seen some versions that show nude photos but they are cartoon photos so......WTF?
I am shocked they have those, too.
Does not seem likely that WI has advanced as far as the 1980s. :lol:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by g-manpuck » Sun Dec 29 10:51 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Dec 25 11:18 pm
g-manpuck wrote:

I can not let this atrocity of water in a Tom and Jerry go on!! It is milk! I’ve made them for years and proudly own a vintage Fiestaware punch bowl and mugs emblazoned with gold “Tom & Jerry”. It is milk people...MILK. I made them 2 weeks ago for a little neighborhood gathering and I made them last night for family. It’s very retro :dup: And they are delicious.
Do not let those whack jobs in WI, or apparently Mankato, influence (ruin) another classic cocktail. It’s milk. Do I need to repeat that again?
Okay...whew! I'm not surprised that most people haven't heard of them as they are a "retro" drink. Where I was serving them was at the local Elks Lodge in my hometown. They are usually a love 'em or hate 'em kind of drink. Probably most people who have a strong aversion to them it's because of the raw egg mixture. Thanks for backing me up on the milk version KR!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Sun Dec 29 11:44 am

g-manpuck wrote:
Sun Dec 29 10:51 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Dec 25 11:18 pm
g-manpuck wrote:

Okay...whew! I'm not surprised that most people haven't heard of them as they are a "retro" drink. Where I was serving them was at the local Elks Lodge in my hometown. They are usually a love 'em or hate 'em kind of drink. Probably most people who have a strong aversion to them it's because of the raw egg mixture. Thanks for backing me up on the milk version KR!
Up in Superior they used to sell a Tom & Jerry mix at the liquor stores (and a few grocery stores) the mix (batter) was a Connelly Bakery recipe and was sold for many years, long after the bakery closed. BTW, Hobey Baker winner Jack Connelly’s Grandpa (Jack) owned that bakery in Superior. The batter was really thick & was tasty simply adding the batter to Bacardi rum & hot water from a teapot ☝️

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Dec 29 12:42 pm

The recipe my parents still use is from the local bartender in Moose Lake from back in my grandparents day - he said it’s probably over 80 years old. They use water and I think I saw corn syrup and corn starch in the egg mixture. I’m happy to get the recipe if anyone wants it!

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by george » Sun Jan 12 4:27 pm

I've been probably watching too much TV the last few days and have seen a lot of commercials with Oprah shilling for weight watchers, or WW now. My dumb question is do marketing gurus think using someone who has publicly fought a weight problem for years, and continues to be quite heavy, is going to get people to buy that product? If she was suddenly skinny she'd be great spokesperson, but really? I mean I'm not skinny either, but I'm not shilling for a weight loss product either.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 324 times

Post by Handyman » Sun Jan 12 7:21 pm

I'm pretty sure she owns part of the company...i used to be in Weight Watchers until they changed the name and how the plan worked.

And yes having her do it works. Her Q score is ridiculous.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Jan 13 7:55 am

What handy said. Oprah is a money machine.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Norm » Tue Jan 14 3:37 pm

What does "cola" mean in the names of Florida towns Apalachicola and Pensacola?

Maize
Veteran

Post by Maize » Tue Jan 14 4:09 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Jan 14 3:37 pm
Native American word for "people". Apalachicola loosely translates to "People on the other side of the river" and Pensacola loosely translates to "Hairy people"

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jan 14 5:47 pm

Maize wrote:
Tue Jan 14 4:09 pm
Norm wrote:
Tue Jan 14 3:37 pm
Native American word for "people". Apalachicola loosely translates to "People on the other side of the river" and Pensacola loosely translates to "Hairy people"
Pensacola is a name given to a rival town. It is the original “sausage party.”

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Jan 14 8:45 pm

Saw a very interesting doc about Florida on, I think PBS. There were actually 15 “original colonies” but East Florida and West Florida did not want declare independence and even burned effigies of John Hancock and Samuel Adams in St.Augustine.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jan 14 8:52 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Jan 14 8:45 pm
Saw a very interesting doc about Florida on, I think PBS. There were actually 15 “original colonies” but East Florida and West Florida did not want declare independence and even burned effigies of John Hancock and Samuel Adams in St.Augustine.
Florida’s history of stupid goes waaaay back apparently. Who would live in FL before air conditioning?