This might be a dumb question, but...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Zwak
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 208 times

Re: This might be a dumb question, but...

Post by Zwak » Tue Feb 23 8:25 am

MATT wrote:
Tue Feb 23 7:43 am
Just doing some quick google research, regular HD streaming probably requires ~5-10 Mbps. Ultra HD would need more; Amazon recommends 15 and Netflix 25 for 4k. Web pages on average are 2-3 MB in size. Streaming music you only need 1 Mbps.
50-100 for gaming (4K, 60fps). Twitch 12 upload. zoom 2 down 2 up.

So if you are playing a 4K game while streaming on twitch and others are watching a 4K movie while zooming and on the internet on their phones, you need over 100, but I’d say 100 is probably more than enough for most on here. I get 120 and have never had an issue. My wife and I work at home on zoom/teams calls all day, connected fridge/washer/dryer/garage/tv/Apple TV/nest cams/nest thermostats/phones/tablets/printer/desktop computer/chromecasts/peloton all connected all day.

The biggest is gaming plus how many other concurrent things are going on while someone is gaming.
What features do your fridge, washer, dryer have that uses a connection?
GPL's official source of trivia.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 154 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Feb 23 8:30 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue Feb 23 8:25 am
MATT wrote:
Just doing some quick google research, regular HD streaming probably requires ~5-10 Mbps. Ultra HD would need more; Amazon recommends 15 and Netflix 25 for 4k. Web pages on average are 2-3 MB in size. Streaming music you only need 1 Mbps.

So if you are playing a 4K game while streaming on twitch and others are watching a 4K movie while zooming and on the internet on their phones, you need over 100, but I’d say 100 is probably more than enough for most on here. I get 120 and have never had an issue. My wife and I work at home on zoom/teams calls all day, connected fridge/washer/dryer/garage/tv/Apple TV/nest cams/nest thermostats/phones/tablets/printer/desktop computer/chromecasts/peloton all connected all day.

The biggest is gaming plus how many other concurrent things are going on while someone is gaming.
We just got new appliances and the dishwasher and stove are WiFi connected. We haven’t explored all the options, but you can delay start the dishwasher which is nice if you are at work and want to run it. For the stove, it dings your phone when pre-heated and will alert you if a burner is left on. I think our fridge is connected too as is the OTR, but we just haven’t explored it to that point as I will most likely never use it as 42 years of conditioning to ensure my oven is off before leaving the house is a tough habit to break.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by MATT » Tue Feb 23 8:51 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Feb 23 8:30 am
Zwak wrote:
MATT wrote:

We just got new appliances and the dishwasher and stove are WiFi connected. We haven’t explored all the options, but you can delay start the dishwasher which is nice if you are at work and want to run it. For the stove, it dings your phone when pre-heated and will alert you if a burner is left on. I think our fridge is connected too as is the OTR, but we just haven’t explored it to that point as I will most likely never use it as 42 years of conditioning to ensure my oven is off before leaving the house is a tough habit to break.
Yeah, delayed starts, check status, notifications. For the fridge, it has a screen on it so you can do a grocery list and to dos and calendar, etc. and sync it to your phone; it also has the cameras inside the fridge so you can see what you have in there on your phone.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 213 times

Post by davescharf » Tue Feb 23 9:02 am

As someone who works in a technology discipline I’ve never understood what value most of this stuff really provides.

My dishwasher let’s me set a delay for up to 24 hours...I don’t need a phone to do it and would argue it takes more time. Maybe it’s beneficial if you left somewhere and decided you want to start it but that’s an exception more than the rule.

Maybe this is just a sign of me starting to tell
People to get off my lawn

We have 3 Alexa devices in our house and they’re used for little more than random music. The only things that I’m really interested in is an app to start my car from anywhere instead of this 200’ range I get (at best) for when it’s really hot or really cold.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 154 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Feb 23 9:08 am

davescharf wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:02 am
As someone who works in a technology discipline I’ve never understood what value most of this stuff really provides.

My dishwasher let’s me set a delay for up to 24 hours...I don’t need a phone to do it and would argue it takes more time. Maybe it’s beneficial if you left somewhere and decided you want to start it but that’s an exception more than the rule.

We have 3 Alexa devices in our house and they’re used for little more than random music. The only things that I’m really interested in is an app to start my car from anywhere instead of this 200’ range I get (at best) for when it’s really hot or really cold.
We just upgraded from our 2015 Yukon XL to a 2017 Suburban. We had OnStar in the Yukon, but never gave it much thought about remote start. Driving to Grand Forks for a hockey tournament 2 weekends ago when the daytime highs were -12, I wanted to be able to start it from my hotel room or the middle of the arena, I figured what the hell and hit the OnStar button. I ended up getting 3 months free trial which included remote starting/monitoring from Chevy's app as well as 3GB of WiFi per month in the vehicle. My 5 year old uses an old phone to watch videos, read and play some games but needs WiFi and she doesn't quite understand why it doesn't work when we drive. Now she can at least use it somewhat. It includes XM radio as well and safety monitoring.

The total package is $35/month, but if I wanted to just have the ability to start it it would be $15. So, we will see how much we use it the next couple months.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 599 times

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Feb 23 9:21 am

davescharf wrote:

I don’t want appliances smarter than me, but that’s the way it’s going. You can’t buy a new vehicle, phone, or tv that doesn’t track everywhere you go, or everything you watch. I’ll never have an Alexa in my house. I guess my old is showing - I want everyone off my lawn and prefer to do things myself. How lazy are we!!

Not saying I want this, but maybe that’s the only way to have some privacy these days:

:lol:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 453 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Feb 23 9:46 am

Only thing I've got like that is a Nest thermostat. The ability to tweak the schedule/temp/etc so much is really nice, especially with sensors in different parts of the house. Outside of that, I have zero interest in a wi-fi connected fridge, for example.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

MATT
Golden
Golden

Post by MATT » Tue Feb 23 9:48 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:08 am
We just upgraded from our 2015 Yukon XL to a 2017 Suburban. We had OnStar in the Yukon, but never gave it much thought about remote start. Driving to Grand Forks for a hockey tournament 2 weekends ago when the daytime highs were -12, I wanted to be able to start it from my hotel room or the middle of the arena, I figured what the hell and hit the OnStar button. I ended up getting 3 months free trial which included remote starting/monitoring from Chevy's app as well as 3GB of WiFi per month in the vehicle. My 5 year old uses an old phone to watch videos, read and play some games but needs WiFi and she doesn't quite understand why it doesn't work when we drive. Now she can at least use it somewhat. It includes XM radio as well and safety monitoring.

The total package is $35/month, but if I wanted to just have the ability to start it it would be $15. So, we will see how much we use it the next couple months.
I have a Volvo and can unlock/lock/flash the lights and horn/start from the app on my phone. It also shows me where my car is on a map (parking) and how much gas and driving range I have remaining.

MATT
Golden
Golden

Post by MATT » Tue Feb 23 9:50 am

Steve MN wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:46 am
Only thing I've got like that is a Nest thermostat. The ability to tweak the schedule/temp/etc so much is really nice, especially with sensors in different parts of the house. Outside of that, I have zero interest in a wi-fi connected fridge, for example.
For the washer/dryer/fridge, for me, it’s mainly the notifications I use (laundry loads are done, my kids left the fridge open), not really any of the other stuff. The fridge is a Samsung and if I used a Samsung phone, I could sync my calendar or to do lists. I can also have the a Samsung TV cast to it in case I’m running to the kitchen during a game 😆

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Feb 23 10:00 am

MATT wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:50 am
Steve MN wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:46 am
For the washer/dryer/fridge, for me, it’s mainly the notifications I use (laundry loads are done, my kids left the fridge open), not really any of the other stuff. The fridge is a Samsung and if I used a Samsung phone, I could sync my calendar or to do lists. I can also have the a Samsung TV cast to it in case I’m running to the kitchen during a game 😆
I've got a couple Roku TVs. I think of those more as computers/streaming devices than appliances, though. I don't need my Fridge to have that functionality, though :D

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Norm » Tue Feb 23 12:57 pm

Seriously, I don't even know what some of you are talking about. :lol:

We have internet speed of 1.5 mbs. It's good enough for this forum, that's about it. I've looked into Hughes Net but everybody that has it hates it and says they are the worst company on the planet.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Tue Feb 23 1:01 pm

I would go insane with 1.5Mbps. It's not 2002.

I have gig but get about 400Mbps to the phone/laptop/roku
Loserville, USA
110 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Feb 23 2:52 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Feb 23 9:21 am
davescharf wrote:

I don’t want appliances smarter than me, but that’s the way it’s going. You can’t buy a new vehicle, phone, or tv that doesn’t track everywhere you go, or everything you watch. I’ll never have an Alexa in my house. I guess my old is showing - I want everyone off my lawn and prefer to do things myself. How lazy are we!!

Not saying I want this, but maybe that’s the only way to have some privacy these days:

:lol: I grew up in a home with Harvest Gold in the kitchen! Not quite as bad as Avocado, but still nasty.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue Feb 23 3:06 pm

There was also a coppertone color so you could choose between gold, green, or copper.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Feb 23 3:27 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Tue Feb 23 8:30 am
Zwak wrote:
MATT wrote:

Now that I have pre-teen kids that are beginning to cook small meals for themselves, I would appreciate having a stove with a reminder It would be nice if you could set a cook time and have it beep at you if you want to increase the cook time or shut off if not attended to.

I would never use a camera in my fridge but I could see my wife using it as she often orders food deliveries from work. That said, I have no idea what it costs, but I think I would lose my sh!t paying extra for those functions only to have the fridge die in 4 years (life of my last expensive fridge).

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Feb 23 3:30 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Feb 23 2:52 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
davescharf wrote:

:lol: I grew up in a home with Harvest Gold in the kitchen! Not quite as bad as Avocado, but still nasty.
And they intended for that model to wear burnt orange with the green background.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 465 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Feb 23 3:58 pm

We had the green tone appliances in the kitchen when we moved into our house (first occupants) in Deephaven in 1974 or so. I remember how happy my Mom was to get rid of them a few years later.
Currently under construction.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 474 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 23 4:28 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Feb 23 12:57 pm

We have internet speed of 1.5 mbs. It's good enough for this forum, that's about it. I've looked into Hughes Net but everybody that has it hates it and says they are the worst company on the planet.
By the grace of God, we have fiber internet out here in the middle of nowhere. Our little phone company was really progressive and aggressive years ago and put the lines in the ditches around here. We have the lowest tier, 25 Mbps and for us it works fine. We don't play online games, and don't have any of the streaming services. Watched the Gophers online last week and it was fine. When we lived in Whioux Falls the cost was triple of what we pay now and the service was not near as good.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Feb 23 5:35 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Feb 23 2:52 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
davescharf wrote:

Coppertone here.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Feb 23 5:50 pm

We had avocado, with the mirror panels with the cracked appearance behind the stove. My mother informed me she still has the original avocado blender and hand mixer. 😂

And my current home, built in’72 has those mirror panels all the way up the wall along our staircase. 😩

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Feb 23 7:07 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Feb 23 5:50 pm
We had avocado, with the mirror panels with the cracked appearance behind the stove. My mother informed me she still has the original avocado blender and hand mixer. 😂

And my current home, built in’72 has those mirror panels all the way up the wall along our staircase. 😩
I have and USE my moms Harvest Gold crockpot. And my MIL gave us her Dansk Flame Red fondue pot, with teak tray and matching forks. Sweet!!
And our cabin has a nice selection of Corning wear with weird mid-century daisy design :lol:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Feb 23 7:10 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Feb 23 7:07 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

I have and USE my moms Harvest Gold crockpot. And my MIL gave us her Dansk Flame Red fondue pot, with teak tray and matching forks. Sweet!!
And our cabin has a nice selection of Corning wear with weird mid-century daisy design :lol:
I'm sure you also had these :lol:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Feb 23 7:18 pm

My Mom still uses some of those.

Keith won't be the only one left - I'm convinced Ozzy will outlive him somehow.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Feb 23 8:29 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Feb 23 7:07 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

Like this?

Who didn’t grow up with these?!

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 493 times

Post by D2D » Tue Feb 23 9:18 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Feb 23 8:29 pm
Like this?
Wife and I have the exact same set! Still look and "work" like brand new!
Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Feb 23 8:29 pm
Who didn’t grow up with these?!

We have a set of the plates and dishes too, albeit a different design and color...and after many years of use they're a bit faded.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 295 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Feb 23 9:45 pm

ALL the previous pics were in my household growing up, and you can add the brown/orange/yellow shag carpet and wood paneling in the basement.

Related, I suppose, I got a Nielsen Ratings Survey in the mail. $10 if I filled it out and mailed it back. Lessee, I listen to public radio 8+ hours a day (at work, I listen to The Current/MPR), and I watch 10 minutes of ACTUAL TV per day, normally. The rest is streaming, and a vast majority of that is movies/mini-series. I wonder how Nielsen even survives now, in this day and age.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Wed Feb 24 9:28 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Feb 23 4:28 pm
Norm wrote:
Tue Feb 23 12:57 pm

By the grace of God, we have fiber internet out here in the middle of nowhere. Our little phone company was really progressive and aggressive years ago and put the lines in the ditches around here. We have the lowest tier, 25 Mbps and for us it works fine. We don't play online games, and don't have any of the streaming services. Watched the Gophers online last week and it was fine. When we lived in Whioux Falls the cost was triple of what we pay now and the service was not near as good.
You are one lucky SOB. Our phone company just plowed in new lines past our place. I asked them if they were getting into internet. They said no. I asked if they were ever getting into internet. They said no!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 24 9:55 am

davescharf wrote:
Tue Feb 23 7:18 pm

Maybe? Ozzy's already shambling around like a zombie, so, he may already BE undead?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Feb 24 11:09 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Feb 24 9:55 am
davescharf wrote:

Maybe? Ozzy's already shambling around like a zombie, so, he may already BE undead?
That’s entirely possible

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 24 9:14 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Feb 24 11:09 am
Steve MN wrote:
davescharf wrote:

That’s entirely possible
We should probably start to think about the world we leave for Keith Richards.
and:
Every time someone smokes a cigarette, that person adds 5 minutes to Keith Richards' life.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Feb 24 9:20 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Feb 24 9:14 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed Feb 24 11:09 am
Steve MN wrote:
davescharf wrote:

That’s entirely possible
We should probably start to think about the world we leave for Keith Richards.
and:
Every time someone smokes a cigarette, that person adds 5 minutes to Keith Richards' life.
I also started thinking about what we'll leave for Betty White as well

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Chris83 » Thu Feb 25 1:00 pm

Can anyone suggestion an application/software to help optimize a PC? Get rid of unused files, defrag, that sort of thing. My PC isn't that terribly old, but it just crawls. Yes, our internet sucks, but I can stream fine regarding TV and my Chromebook just buzzes along. Thank you!
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Feb 25 1:03 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Thu Feb 25 1:00 pm
Can anyone suggestion an application/software to help optimize a PC? Get rid of unused files, defrag, that sort of thing. My PC isn't that terribly old, but it just crawls. Yes, our internet sucks, but I can stream fine regarding TV and my Chromebook just buzzes along. Thank you!
First recommendations is MalwareBytes to scan for garbage/malware and clean that up. Even the free version can get a lot of junk off.
Make sure all your drivers are up to date
How often do you do a reboot, as opposed to putting it to sleep/locking?
Assuming it's Windows 10, how much stuff do you have running? Check the system tray (a little to the left of the clock, there's an up-arrow, click on that, how many things are in the little pop-up?)

Aldy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Aldy » Thu Feb 25 4:28 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 23 3:58 pm
We had the green tone appliances in the kitchen when we moved into our house (first occupants) in Deephaven in 1974 or so. I remember how happy my Mom was to get rid of them a few years later.
Where in Deephaven did you live? I lived in the south side of Deephaven (our back yard was abut to Shorewood) - near the Vine Hill area.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 25 9:52 pm

Aldy wrote:
Thu Feb 25 4:28 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Tue Feb 23 3:58 pm
Where in Deephaven did you live? I lived in the south side of Deephaven (our back yard was abut to Shorewood) - near the Vine Hill area.
Off Mtka Blvd near Shavers Lake Road and the Breconwood townhouses.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 25 9:55 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Feb 25 1:03 pm
Chris83 wrote:
First recommendations is MalwareBytes to scan for garbage/malware and clean that up. Even the free version can get a lot of junk off.
Assuming it's Windows 10, how much stuff do you have running? Check the system tray (a little to the left of the clock, there's an up-arrow, click on that, how many things are in the little pop-up?)
Clean the cookies.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Feb 26 9:16 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 25 9:55 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Thu Feb 25 1:03 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Clean the cookies.
That would depend on what's running slow. If it's the browser, then absolutely.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri Apr 09 12:10 pm

So my drivers license expires at the end of the month. Every registrar that takes reservations online is booked for 60 days. There are some places that only take reservations. Some that take walk-ups. I went to two places today that take walk ups. The first one had about 20 people in line so I skipped that one. I went to another one in IGH. They had about 10 people in line so I waited about 45 minutes in line and got my license renewed.

Is there still a backlog of license renewals that is causing all of these lines? I only get my license renewed every 4 years but I've never heard of such lines.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 09 12:43 pm

I work from home and rarely go through downtown these days. What are they doing to the side of US Bank stadium? It’s only a few years old.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri Apr 09 12:45 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 09 12:43 pm
I work from home and rarely go through downtown these days. What are they doing to the side of US Bank stadium? It’s only a few years old.
Article from January 2021.

https://www.startribune.com/u-s-bank-st ... r%2C%20M.A.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Apr 09 12:50 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Apr 09 12:10 pm
So my drivers license expires at the end of the month. Every registrar that takes reservations online is booked for 60 days. There are some places that only take reservations. Some that take walk-ups. I went to two places today that take walk ups. The first one had about 20 people in line so I skipped that one. I went to another one in IGH. They had about 10 people in line so I waited about 45 minutes in line and got my license renewed.

Is there still a backlog of license renewals that is causing all of these lines? I only get my license renewed every 4 years but I've never heard of such lines.
I feel like there’s always a backlog of license renewals. That license center in IGH is the best place I have found.

My mind said she just did her license renewal online. They use the same picture as before and just issued a new ID. It’s too late for you obviously, but it might help others.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Apr 09 1:02 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Apr 09 12:45 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

They've been doing that basically every year since about a month after the stadium was completed
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Fri Apr 09 1:20 pm

Zwak wrote:

I renewed mine from home. I wanted to get the Real, but didn't want to go in to get it so just got the standard DL.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Apr 09 1:20 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Fri Apr 09 1:02 pm
Zwak wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

They've been doing that basically every year since about a month after the stadium was completed
Any Cliffs Notes? I’m not paying for a Star Tribune subscription.

Buzzkill Bonin
Golden
Golden

Post by Buzzkill Bonin » Fri Apr 09 1:25 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Apr 09 1:20 pm
Bonin21 wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

A problem has bubbled up with the reinforcement moisture barriers intended to keep U.S. Bank Stadium dry, prompting a public oversight panel Thursday to spend $800,000 on a fix.

Troubles with the stadium's zinc panels began before it opened in 2016, when panels came unfastened and flapped in the wind. Only after they were reinforced did it become clear a problem existed with the underlying moisture barrier.

The next phase begins in February and is expected to be completed before the Vikings begin the 2021 season. As of Thursday, large swaths of zinc panels on the southeastern side of the building had been removed to test how the underlying blue barrier weathers the elements, Vekich said.
Loserville, USA

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 83 times

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Apr 09 1:30 pm

Zwak wrote:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... censes-ids
About 300,000 Minnesotans license or ID expiration dates were extended to March 31 due to COVID. Now they're about to expire.

Zwak

Post by Zwak » Fri Apr 09 1:47 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Apr 09 1:30 pm
Zwak wrote:

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... censes-ids
About 300,000 Minnesotans license or ID expiration dates were extended to March 31 due to COVID. Now they're about to expire.

Thanks!

p.s. The should have mentioned that I have an enhanced license. I was able to do some of the renewal on line but had to go in person to finalize.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 09 2:39 pm

For anyone knowledgeable enough about intermittent fasting:

How much benefit is there from actually going (14, 16, whatever) consecutive hours without eating vs. simply reducing your total caloric intake? Is there an added physical benefit from the fasting component such as increased metabolism or otherwise?

FYI I have been doing it for about 5 weeks and have lost enough weight that I have started running again. I wasn't obese but my knees did not like the pounding at one point, and gyms not being open here an elliptical has been out of the question.

But anyway as a combo between the fasting and exercise I'm on my way but am curious how the fasting works.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Apr 09 3:43 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 09 2:39 pm

How much benefit is there from actually going (14, 16, whatever) consecutive hours without eating vs. simply reducing your total caloric intake? Is there an added physical benefit from the fasting component such as increased metabolism or otherwise?

FYI I have been doing it for about 5 weeks and have lost enough weight that I have started running again. I wasn't obese but my knees did not like the pounding at one point, and gyms not being open here an elliptical has been out of the question.

But anyway as a combo between the fasting and exercise I'm on my way but am curious how the fasting works.
I can’t go more than a couple hours without eating so can’t help you much. 😂. I think like any other diet/lifestyle eating, it works for some and not others. I would imagine it would have to depend on when you do your most physical activities during the day as you need to fuel appropriately for that.

I have heard that it can be helpful for sleeping - so you basically just stop eating earlier in the day as overnight counts as fasting. I’ve wanted to give that a try cause I regularly eat too late at night due to late work hours but it certainly requires a lot more meal prep as I’d have to bring all of the day’s food with me and more importantly, find the time to eat it.

If it’s working for you and you have lost weight and feel good and not energy depleted when you need to be functional, great for you!

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Fri Apr 09 3:48 pm

I'm not terribly knowledgeable but I do believe it hits your metabolism differently than just dropping your caloric intake. Aside from losing weight it has also helped some with inflammation issues from things like arthritis. I've heard insomnia and headaches can be caused, but eventually go away if you stick with it, which sounds easier said than done to me.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Apr 09 4:03 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

The online star trib is super annoying. I can get one free article, then I have to go and clear my website data and browser history to read another article. Still beats paying for it though. 😂

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Apr 09 4:12 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 09 2:39 pm

All I can say is that I know it's worked for me personally, though by doing it I was/am eating less calories because of it so it's hard to isolate its impact. I used to eat Steal cut oats with PB and honey every morning and IDK exactly how many calories it was but maybe like 300 or so. Cutting that out and just waiting to just eat lunch in the afternoon helped me shed a bunch of weight, as even with my normal workout routine I was gaining weight and got up to a little over 200 pounds at one point (some of it was muscle as I lift regularly but certainly not all of it :lol: ). After that I got back down to something more reasonable like 175 or 180, might've even cut all the way down to 170 or slightly below. There were other factors in there as well but ever since I started intermittent fasting I never got up to that weight again and even during the pandemic where I didn't go to the gym for 6 months at a time or play hockey/broomball (basically only did a makeshift at home workout with some of the stuff you do at the gym but none of the heavy lifting) I still maintained a respectable weight.

Not sure if the scientific literature is all that conclusive on its helpfulness but I haven't looked into it in a while.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

team22tank
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Apr 09 4:37 pm

Eliminating as much sugar and processed carbohydrates is the best thing someone can do for their health in regards to diet. It all starts there.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Apr 09 4:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. As part of the process I've reduced sugared pop to 1 can per week, we have mixed in brown rice instead of only eating white, my dinner consists of nothing more than a serving of Ensure, a lot fewer snacks of all types, even though as a family we barely ate fast food even once per week I've completely refrained, and I've limited alcohol to one day per week.

What I really want is to reach my ideal weight, increase my exercise routine and hopefully go to a less restrictive diet albeit without returning to my pre-fasting days.

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Apr 09 5:37 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Apr 09 4:03 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Bonin21 wrote:
Zwak wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:

The online star trib is super annoying. I can get one free article, then I have to go and clear my website data and browser history to read another article. Still beats paying for it though. 😂
Incognito mode works well for the Strib. Open a new window in it and you can read any article. It doesn’t keep cookies or history.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 09 9:03 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Apr 09 4:52 pm
Thanks for the replies. As part of the process I've reduced sugared pop to 1 can per week, we have mixed in brown rice instead of only eating white, my dinner consists of nothing more than a serving of Ensure, a lot fewer snacks of all types, even though as a family we barely ate fast food even once per week I've completely refrained, and I've limited alcohol to one day per week.

What I really want is to reach my ideal weight, increase my exercise routine and hopefully go to a less restrictive diet albeit without returning to my pre-fasting days.
Don't eat within X amount of time before you go to bed.
Lots of smaller meals, but eating more often increases metabolism .
Instead of getting an iced tea or pop for lunch at work, since we have a fridge at work, I buy a gallon of milk, that I keep at work, for lunches. Cheaper and healthier.I was falling back into the pop phase, and that is not a good thing.
IF I eat "junk food"/snacks, it's probably pretzels. I could be wrong, but it's probably the least harmful of those types of snacks.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by trixR4kids » Fri Apr 09 11:01 pm

Everything I've ever read about the eating before bed thing pretty much says that it's a myth. All that really matters in the end is total calories, not when you eat them. The smaller meals thing can maybe work for some people but a lot of people just tend to exceed their caloric limit doing it, so it really just depends.
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 10 7:14 pm

Has anyone else suddenly been unable to use their PayPal account? It said I needed to contact them, so I called the number through the app. They said per government regulations I needed to send them copy of my government ID, proof of address, and a picture of my social security card. This sounds completely bogus but I can’t use my account without doing these things. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. I have received zero emails or contact from PayPal letting me know of an annual information update or any such thing. I just feel uncomfortable sending them this info, especially since they already have all that info.....

Greyeagle
Has liked: 1001 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Apr 10 7:15 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:14 pm
Has anyone else suddenly been unable to use their PayPal account? It said I needed to contact them, so I called the number through the app. They said per government regulations I needed to send them copy of my government ID, proof of address, and a picture of my social security card. This sounds completely bogus but I can’t use my account without doing these things. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this. I have received zero emails or contact from PayPal letting me know of an annual information update or any such thing. I just feel uncomfortable sending them this info, especially since they already have all that info.....
That sounds really phishy....
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 10 7:15 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:14 pm
NO NO NO NO NO NO.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 10 7:19 pm

Alllll the no. Go to the website on your computer, find a contract number there, and call that.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 10 7:23 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:19 pm
Alllll the no. Go to the website on your computer, find a contract number there, and call that.
I called the phone number after logging into the app...I wouldn’t trust a random number I found online.
And you can’t get a phone number without logging in.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 10 7:27 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:23 pm
Steve MN wrote:
I called the phone number after logging into the app...I wouldn’t trust a random number I found online.
I just looked at my PayPal act and there is an 888 number you can call. It asks for a code that was on my screen to enter though.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 10 7:28 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:27 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
I just looked at my PayPal act and there is an 888 number you can call. It asks for a code that was on my screen to enter though.
You had to log in though right?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Apr 10 7:30 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:28 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:27 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
You had to log in though right?
Yes, I logged into my PayPal account. Then I clicked the contact us tab. It gave me options-- text, call and email I think
Last edited by frozen4champs on Sat Apr 10 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Apr 10 7:31 pm

I have it seen this and I just sent someone money a few days ago. If they do this to me I’ll just close my account and use Zelle or Venmo

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 10 7:35 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

NOT on your phone or through the app, get that on your computer

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Apr 10 7:44 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:35 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/contact-us

NOT on your phone or through the app, get that on your computer
So the first time I went through contact us on the app., but after logging in. Second time I did through the website on iPad and got the security code (you have to log in to contact them at all). I spoke to someone else and said I’m uncomfortable sending that information- he said he should be able to reset it using info they already have - and he did. So crazy sometimes all you need to do is talk to someone else.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 10 7:55 pm

Very good to hear..

As a larger issue, yes, this is exactly the kind of thing people need to be wary of. Anytime something seems weird with information someone is asking for, step back and re-evaluate what's going on.

My sister and I have our mother trained in very nicely on this front. Anytime any caller/website/etc starts asking for information, she calls one of us to be sure (half the time she's already said to go away and hung up). Also, her financial advisor already set me up as a contact any time my mom would request a large money transfer (at the advisor's suggestion) to make sure there's a cross-check against her being scammed.
Last edited by Steve MN on Sat Apr 10 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 10 7:56 pm

Social Security card is the BIG RED FLAG WAVING IN YOUR FACE. Just sayin'.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Apr 10 7:58 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Apr 10 7:56 pm
Social Security card is the BIG RED FLAG WAVING IN YOUR FACE. Just sayin'.
THAT was the one that raised my hackles on this. Copy of a utility bill? Okay. Last 4 of the SSN when you call in to verify what they have on file already, yeah, that's typical.

A PICTURE of the social security card? Oh :censored: no

streakygopher
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by streakygopher » Sun Apr 11 10:45 am

team22tank wrote:
Fri Apr 09 4:37 pm
Eliminating as much sugar and processed carbohydrates is the best thing someone can do for their health in regards to diet. It all starts there.
If people did nothing more than this the health quotient in this country would sky rocket. Simple sugars and carbs are the underlying cause of obesity (with all its problems) and could be responsible for much more. The medical community even suggests that sugar causes inflammation, which is another potential cause of myriad health conditions. There's a doc out there with a couple youtube videos who will sober you right up. I think his name is Lustig.

In my own experience cutting off sugar - which I did years ago - has dropped my cholesterol numbers significantly to the point I do not need meds like lipitor.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Apr 11 2:34 pm

streakygopher wrote:
Sun Apr 11 10:45 am
team22tank wrote:
If people did nothing more than this the health quotient in this country would sky rocket. Simple sugars and carbs are the underlying cause of obesity (with all its problems) and could be responsible for much more. The medical community even suggests that sugar causes inflammation, which is another potential cause of myriad health conditions. There's a doc out there with a couple youtube videos who will sober you right up. I think his name is Lustig.

In my own experience cutting off sugar - which I did years ago - has dropped my cholesterol numbers significantly to the point I do not need meds like lipitor.
Minus corn on the cob, I don't recall putting salt on anything for the last decade or so, minimum. While I do drink my Monster energy drinks (1 per day, maybe if it's a super long day, I'll have a 2nd later on), I rarely drink pop. Maybe one every couple of weeks. Just little things like that greatly improve everything about health.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Apr 11 3:36 pm

streakygopher wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Everyone should cut out salt, fat, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine. Also cut gambling and stress. Go to bed early to make sure you get at least 8 hours. Then exercise a bunch.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Apr 11 4:07 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Apr 11 3:36 pm
streakygopher wrote:
team22tank wrote:

Everyone should cut out salt, fat, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine. Also cut gambling and stress. Go to bed early to make sure you get at least 8 hours. Then exercise a bunch.
Fun hater!!