This might be a dumb question, but...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: This might be a dumb question, but...

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 22 5:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Jul 22 4:33 pm
So Hawkey admits on the record that they basically gouged people so they could afford to hire Aerosmith, but went too far in their gouging, resulting in a sparse VIP section that ticked off the lead singer.

Good luck getting Journey to headline next year.
Either you didnt actually listen to the story or you are just letting your dislike of Hawkey cloud the facts but either way I dont much feel like arguing about it. Hawkey isnt the problem Steven Tyler is.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread about stupid questions :)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 22 7:46 pm

Says their #1 fan.

You must be hunce99:

:lol: :lol:
Currently under construction.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 22 9:58 pm

Handyman wrote:
Mon Jul 22 11:35 am
Oh man...Hawkey's story about Steven Tyler was pretty lame. Never meet your idols I guess...
I didn't hear it. What happened?
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 22 9:59 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Jul 22 4:33 pm
Good luck getting Journey to headline next year.
Maybe they'll get a good band instead.🤷‍♂️
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Jul 23 12:40 am

edit: nevermind.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

fightclub30
Veteran
Been liked: 4 times

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Jul 26 2:49 pm

Last night we meet some family at Maynard's in Excelsior. My wife renewed her driver's license, so has a voided license and papers. She tried to order a drink, and they wouldn't accept her papers. She also had her passport still in her purse from going to renew and getting a "Real ID". They wouldn't accept her passport either. My Cousin, who was home on a break and is currently serving on an Air Force base was also denied service with his military ID and didn't have his Driver's License with him (wasn't going to be driving in MN). We were told they are "far too busy in the summer to handle different forms of ID to risk serving someone they shouldn't." I get that restaurants can deny service, especially alcohol service, to anyone for whatever reason they see fit, this just seems like overkill. Is this common? Will my wife be able to get a drink before her new license arrives, or should she not even bother?

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 26 3:05 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Jul 26 2:49 pm
Last night we meet some family at Maynard's in Excelsior. My wife renewed her driver's license, so has a voided license and papers. She tried to order a drink, and they wouldn't accept her papers. She also had her passport still in her purse from going to renew and getting a "Real ID". They wouldn't accept her passport either. My Cousin, who was home on a break and is currently serving on an Air Force base was also denied service with his military ID and didn't have his Driver's License with him (wasn't going to be driving in MN). We were told they are "far too busy in the summer to handle different forms of ID to risk serving someone they shouldn't." I get that restaurants can deny service, especially alcohol service, to anyone for whatever reason they see fit, this just seems like overkill. Is this common? Will my wife be able to get a drink before her new license arrives, or should she not even bother?
It’s a potential problem because the restaurant doesn’t know if the license is clipped due to drinking restrictions. Rather than renew a license go in for a “replacement” instead because you “lost” your old one.

Then you can keep your unclipped license until the new one arrives.

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Viking » Fri Jul 26 4:35 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
They definitely should have taken the passport. If the server can't handle different forms of ID, they wouldn't serve anyone from out of state.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 26 4:42 pm

Never heard of a place denying a passport. Ridiculous. My wife was denied at Target Field because she had a clipped Ontario license and papers for her soon to be MN one, but at least they took her passport.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Jul 26 5:05 pm

Viking wrote:
Fri Jul 26 4:35 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
They definitely should have taken the passport. If the server can't handle different forms of ID, they wouldn't serve anyone from out of state.
Burrito Loco never took passports either when I was in school

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 26 5:09 pm

I understand the clipped license, but it is pure stupidity to not accept a passport.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jul 26 6:00 pm

I'm with the others here. I can understand not taking the clipped card, but the Passport should always be accepted.

My response on the passport and Military ID would have been "Thanks, we're leaving now" then standing up and walking away, and never returning.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Jul 26 6:01 pm

Exactly, a passport is arguably a BETTER form of ID than a drivers license. Accordingly, rejecting a passport ID to order an alcohol drink is absurd ☝️

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 26 6:23 pm

I was denied at target field with papers for a new license.

But for my dumb question:
Anyone who has spectrum/charter for internet/cable services - how do you like it? Or how about direct tv? I know in the long run I won’t save money but I’ve been a dish customer for 20 years and I’m sick of their antics and continually rising rates. All they care about is new customers, they don’t give a $h!t about their long term ones.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Composer » Fri Jul 26 6:59 pm

The reason places require a license is that it has restrictions listed on it. The Carbones in Lakeville has gotten bitten a few times The always check the back of the license for that.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 26 7:03 pm

Composer wrote:
Fri Jul 26 6:59 pm
The reason places require a license is that it has restrictions listed on it. The Carbones in Lakeville has gotten bitten a few times The always check the back of the license for that.
What specific restrictions are they looking for?
I need corrective lenses to drive but don’t see how that would affect the ability to purchase a drink? ;)

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Fri Jul 26 7:05 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jul 26 6:23 pm

Anyone who has spectrum/charter for internet/cable services - how do you like it? Or how about direct tv? I know in the long run I won’t save money but I’ve been a dish customer for 20 years and I’m sick of their antics and continually rising rates. All they care about is new customers, they don’t give a $h!t about their long term ones.
We have had Charter for a few decades. While all of these companies want to maximize profits, we have had a number of good experiences with them (someone helped us improve our situation without us asking, while dealing with an unrelated issue) It's not necessarily the cheapest, but we've been satisfied. I'm certain you can find people with the exact opposite opinion, though.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 26 7:26 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jul 26 7:03 pm
Composer wrote:
Fri Jul 26 6:59 pm
What specific restrictions are they looking for?
I need corrective lenses to drive but don’t see how that would affect the ability to purchase a drink? ;)
If you get too many DUIs you can’t get a drivers license unless you swear to never drink. The drivers license has an alcohol restriction and my guess is you can’t serve alcohol to someone with that restriction.

https://aaronhall.com/restricted-driver ... -dwi-laws/

Passports and military ID don’t have this feature. I can’t blame a sever for not wanting to risk getting dinged for serving to people with alternate IDs.

Composer
Veteran

Post by Composer » Fri Jul 26 7:32 pm

Sorry. Yes, alcohol restrictions.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Norm » Fri Jul 26 7:40 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Being it takes forever to get a new license in this state, you won't be enjoying a drink at Target Field anytime soon.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 26 8:19 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Jul 26 7:40 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Being it takes forever to get a new license in this state, you won't be enjoying a drink at Target Field anytime soon.
Haha. This was a few years ago. But I suppose that means it won’t be long before I’m due for a new one....😬

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 26 8:51 pm

Where are you folks going that it takes so long to replace an ID? Also don't bring in your expiring ID claim it's lost and they will replace and renew.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 45 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 26 8:53 pm

I bet they got busted recently, so they are only taking current valid driver's IDs.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Jul 26 9:04 pm

Cowgirl wrote:

Xfinity was awful, awful, awful when I had an apartment. Mediacom is only option where I live now for cable.

DirecTV I had for awhile, they also only cares about new customers.

Price I pay now for dish is fine. I'll give them a week or 2 to get FSN back, if not I'll be gone to a streaming service.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jul 26 9:32 pm

Speaking as someone who has to take alcohol awareness every year I can tell you that it isnt as absurd as you all think it is to have rules like that especially with dramshop laws in this state being as hardlined as they are. The restrictions are important to know and even though there is no law that says you cant serve someone with restriction you do so at your own peril. While I would personally accept a military ID or Passport if my bosses set a rule saying no I wouldnt even think twice I go along with it.

I get it is a PITA but I am not risking a Gross Misdemeanor for anyone.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Jul 26 9:39 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Jul 26 9:04 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

Xfinity was awful, awful, awful when I had an apartment. Mediacom is only option where I live now for cable.

Price I pay now for dish is fine. I'll give them a week or 2 to get FSN back, if not I'll be gone to a streaming service.
I called and had a chat with Spectrum. I’ll have to do a little more research, but I’ll save significantly over the next three years ($75/mo the first year, $40, $30 second and third years.). Internet will likely be a big upgrade. Not sure if the voice over internet phone will work with my ADT system yet but strongly considering switching.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 26 10:01 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jul 26 9:32 pm
Speaking as someone who has to take alcohol awareness every year I can tell you that it isnt as absurd as you all think it is to have rules like that especially with dramshop laws in this state being as hardlined as they are. The restrictions are important to know and even though there is no law that says you cant serve someone with restriction you do so at your own peril. While I would personally accept a military ID or Passport if my bosses set a rule saying no I wouldnt even think twice I go along with it.

I get it is a PITA but I am not risking a Gross Misdemeanor for anyone.
Ditto back in the day when I worked at Shinder's. Porn sales was on the store. Tobacco was on me. I ID'd EVERYONE. Not risking my neck.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Jul 26 10:36 pm

Minnesota city governments are ridiculous about regulating alcohol...they look at it as a way to generate revenue and just end up hassling the crap out of everyone. It’s a reflection of part of the Minnesota population that are uptight about alcohol overall.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 26 10:44 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Fri Jul 26 10:36 pm
Minnesota city governments are ridiculous about regulating alcohol...they look at it as a way to generate revenue and just end up hassling the crap out of everyone. It’s a reflection of part of the Minnesota population that are uptight about alcohol overall.
The blue laws in this state are strong. It's sad.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 36 times

Post by Jupiter » Sat Jul 27 12:52 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Jul 26 9:04 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

I am in the process of getting Jaguar Communications Fiber internet and TV... Planning to drop Dish after 20 years too. (And Mediacom Internet)

The fiber is to my house. Just waiting for the install to happen. I will be looking forward to the consistency of fiber up and download speeds.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 7 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Jul 27 9:36 am

Bigbeer wrote:
They do checks all the time in ND too. Most places have resulted in just carding everyone, no matter what. It makes my 34 year old wife feel like a million bucks, but this 40 year old guy finds it annoying.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Jul 27 10:03 am

Bigbeer wrote:
That has zero to do with this. This is 100% about preventing underage drinking and overserving/drunk driving. You want to attack blue laws go for it but this is not that. Dram Shop is there to keep bars (or people in general) from putting other people at risk.

I may not be the biggest fan of how some of it works...but I support it 100%.
Last edited by Handyman on Sat Jul 27 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Jul 27 10:06 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Sat Jul 27 9:36 am
Bigbeer wrote:
They do checks all the time in ND too. Most places have resulted in just carding everyone, no matter what. It makes my 34 year old wife feel like a million bucks, but this 40 year old guy finds it annoying.
I got carded the other day and it didnt bother me in the least. Every so often I card someone and they get annoyed and I just shake my head. It is a 10 second issue that causes you literally no pain.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 27 10:08 am

Handyman wrote:
Sat Jul 27 10:06 am
MNGophers29 wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
I got carded the other day and it didnt bother me in the least. Every so often I card someone and they get annoyed and I just shake my head. It is a 10 second issue that causes you literally no pain.
I get carded once in a while, and I chuckle, since they seem to be embarrassed by carding me. I simply say (truthfully) that I've been on the other side of the counter, and I understand.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Chris83 » Sat Jul 27 1:15 pm

When I'm processing a tobacco purchase, I ID everybody. Most folks are cool, but I have had several people prick out on me. If taking the time to remove your ID and allow me to look it over is that much of an imposition, perhaps you need a bit of perspective reorientation.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bigbeer
Veteran
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Jul 27 8:14 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sat Jul 27 10:03 am
Bigbeer wrote:
That has zero to do with this. This is 100% about preventing underage drinking and overserving/drunk driving. You want to attack blue laws go for it but this is not that. Dram Shop is there to keep bars (or people in general) from putting other people at risk.

You may want to think that but it’s not reality. The penalties are ridiculously high for clerks and businesses. When I worked in Maplewood there was a council person who, if she had her way, would have had the city be dry....she hated alcohol. They ran stings constantly. Minnesota has an uncomfortable relationship with booze.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sun Jul 28 1:06 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Sat Jul 27 8:14 pm
Handyman wrote:
Sat Jul 27 10:03 am
Bigbeer wrote:

You may want to think that but it’s not reality. The penalties are ridiculously high for clerks and businesses. When I worked in Maplewood there was a council person who, if she had her way, would have had the city be dry....she hated alcohol. They ran stings constantly. Minnesota has an uncomfortable relationship with booze.
Yeah I know what the fines are...as I said I have to take a course on it every year. (been doing the job for almost two decades) And yes different cities have different rules but dramshop was put in place because bars were overserving and then the people drove and killed people.(plus bars were failing police stings regularly) Some pretty famous cases about it. The idea was to put liability on those that let the person get behind the wheel. (or served them) That isnt blue laws that is just common sense. (and came about in my lifetime unlike most blue laws)

Maplewood may choose to be harsher, but that is a different issue altogether. If bars hadnt been negligent for years dramshop wouldnt be what it is today. And again I am 100% for it.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sun Jul 28 1:53 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
We were at the Portland Beer Fest yesterday. They're carding everyone at the gate. We get up there, I have my card out and ready and he just waved me through!! I was mildly insulted :lol: He could have at least PRETENDED to look at it.
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Jul 29 10:13 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Jul 26 8:51 pm
Where are you folks going that it takes so long to replace an ID? Also don't bring in your expiring ID claim it's lost and they will replace and renew.
Minnesota.

At times, I forget you've been away for a while...

Since you left, the DMV tried changing their whole back-end system for licensing and didn't bother to ask anybody who knew more about computers than how to turn it on whether the project was actually workable on the scale/timeframe they wanted, so it's a typical government project screw up. A year and a half later and it still isn't working right, and it still can take several months to get a DL replaced, new plates sent out, etc. Tab renewal is about the only part that functions as usual.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 29 10:14 am

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Jul 29 10:13 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Minnesota.

Since you left, the DMV tried changing their whole back-end system for licensing and didn't bother to ask anybody who knew more about computers than how to turn it on whether the project was actually workable on the scale/timeframe they wanted, so it's a typical government project screw up. A year and a half later and it still isn't working right, and it still can take several months to get a DL replaced, new plates sent out, etc. Tab renewal is about the only part that functions as usual.
Several months? Wow that is brutal. I remember it never taking more than 4-6 weeks before.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Orion » Mon Jul 29 10:32 am

Steve MN wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Minnesota.

Umm about the tabs. I got my 2019 tabs in June. They were due in February. Tried to do it online. Next time I'll go in and get them.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Jul 29 10:34 am

Orion wrote:
Mon Jul 29 10:32 am
Steve MN wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
Minnesota.

Umm about the tabs. I got my 2019 tabs in June. They were due in February. Tried to do it online. Next time I'll go in and get them.
Thanks for the addition. I was going to go back and add that it's just as bad to get tabs online as getting a DL replaced.

Definitely head to a local registrar. That still works normally for tabs.

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by solar » Mon Jul 29 1:02 pm

My oldest daughter went in and took her DL test in July 2018, and due to complications matching up her "eye test" and forms that she completed all on the same day, she received her actual DL in March 2019. All of this after many trips in to correct the issues, she still never received it. Nothing like ruining any excitement surrounding getting your drivers license.

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Maize » Mon Jul 29 1:28 pm

Orion wrote:
Mon Jul 29 10:32 am
I tried to do it online last year too. After a couple months of waiting I finally went into the License Center.

Me: So I tried to do my tabs online...
Clerk: Oh, you should not have done that.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 29 2:00 pm

Weird. I had no trouble renewing tabs online. They came quickly.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Jul 29 2:13 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jul 29 2:00 pm
Mine too. Came a week later.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 2 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Jul 29 2:39 pm

For the past two years, we haven't received the renewal notice for my step-daughter's car. I know the state has the correct address, because it's on the title. Haven't had an issue with my wife's car or my truck. Go figure.
I have GOT to stop saying "How stupid can you get"
Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Jul 29 4:03 pm

solar wrote:
Mon Jul 29 1:02 pm
My oldest daughter went in and took her DL test in July 2018, and due to complications matching up her "eye test" and forms that she completed all on the same day, she received her actual DL in March 2019. All of this after many trips in to correct the issues, she still never received it. Nothing like ruining any excitement surrounding getting your drivers license.
There was an article in the paper a few weeks back about people having to drive hundreds of miles outside the metro area to take their drivers test because the ones in the metro are booked out so far. My daughter is 11. Is it too early to schedule an appointment for 2024?

The Minnesota DMV is a complete clown show.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Orion » Mon Jul 29 4:21 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jul 29 2:00 pm
It's totally random. Like winning an unholy lottery or getting accepted into UND.

solar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times

Post by solar » Tue Jul 30 9:32 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Jul 29 4:03 pm
solar wrote:
Mon Jul 29 1:02 pm
There was an article in the paper a few weeks back about people having to drive hundreds of miles outside the metro area to take their drivers test because the ones in the metro are booked out so far. My daughter is 11. Is it too early to schedule an appointment for 2024?

The Minnesota DMV is a complete clown show.
Funny you should mention this - we had to drive down to Mankato for my daughter to take the test due to this issue (saved months of waiting). I didn't really mind, as Mankato is not that far away, but really?

The worst part was that she failed the first time due to one simple mistake. The road test there involves a very large roundabout with a "unique" turn-lane feature that is not very common in the metro. She went in the wrong lane once when she was told to take a right "by the Red Lobster" (no joke), and she had never been there before to know where the Red Lobster was. Wow!

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Wed Jul 31 12:10 pm

I pretty much have all day on Friday earmarked for spending at the DMV in St Paul, to get my title and license transferred since I'm moving back to Minnesota. Last time I got my license for Minnesota, there was a bunch of weirdness about certain DMV locations only being able to do certain things, so I figure if I go to the main branch for the whole state, they can handle anything.

I did take all of these anecdotes about places not accepting passports/papers for licenses that are in the mail as a valid excuse for stocking up at 3 floyds

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jul 31 12:46 pm

kmd wrote:
Wed Jul 31 12:10 pm
I pretty much have all day on Friday earmarked for spending at the DMV in St Paul, to get my title and license transferred since I'm moving back to Minnesota. Last time I got my license for Minnesota, there was a bunch of weirdness about certain DMV locations only being able to do certain things, so I figure if I go to the main branch for the whole state, they can handle anything.

I did take all of these anecdotes about places not accepting passports/papers for licenses that are in the mail as a valid excuse for stocking up at 3 floyds
If you don’t mind a short drive, go to the Eagan dmv. I normally go to Apple Valley and rarely ever have to wait (I go mid morning on a weekday tho); but most recently they didn’t know how to keep my custom plates so went to Eagan and they knew exactly what to do and still were minimally busy.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 17 times

Post by davescharf » Wed Jul 31 1:38 pm

I think if you get to one right as they open you’re going to be in good shape. There may be a short wait but I’d guess you’ll be in there an hour max

I know the govt building in downtown Minneapolis used to open at 7:00. When I worked downtown it was great because I’d get there at 7:10 and still be in the office by 8:00
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Viking » Wed Jul 31 1:43 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 31 12:46 pm
kmd wrote:
Wed Jul 31 12:10 pm

If you don’t mind a short drive, go to the Eagan dmv. I normally go to Apple Valley and rarely ever have to wait (I go mid morning on a weekday tho); but most recently they didn’t know how to keep my custom plates so went to Eagan and they knew exactly what to do and still were minimally busy.
Why did you have to give away my secret DVS (for some reason MN does not call it DMV) spot?!?!?!
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Wed Jul 31 1:47 pm

Actually, it looks like the location in Midtown should be able to do all the things that I need, and is a lot closer. New resident license application involves passing a written exam, and I don't think either of those locations offer them.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 31 10:13 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Jul 31 1:38 pm
I think if you get to one right as they open you’re going to be in good shape. There may be a short wait but I’d guess you’ll be in there an hour max

I know the govt building in downtown Minneapolis used to open at 7:00. When I worked downtown it was great because I’d get there at 7:10 and still be in the office by 8:00
That's what I do for the Ridgedale one. Go on a Sat, show up 30 min in advance, wait in line for it to open, out in 15 minutes.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Wed Jul 31 11:37 pm

Hi all. Is there one particular website better than others for good deals on airfare? I have a cousin in Ottawa, Ontario who I am pretty close to (we're three months apart in age and this has been a pretty cool month, as we got to watch the moon landing together when we were kids and were reminiscing over the past couple weeks) and I just found out about an hour ago that her 21 year old daughter died this morning. I'd like to get up there if at all possible, but $$$ IS a factor in that. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 17 times

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 01 5:57 am

Chris83 wrote:
Wed Jul 31 11:37 pm
Hi all. Is there one particular website better than others for good deals on airfare? I have a cousin in Ottawa, Ontario who I am pretty close to (we're three months apart in age and this has been a pretty cool month, as we got to watch the moon landing together when we were kids and were reminiscing over the past couple weeks) and I just found out about an hour ago that her 21 year old daughter died this morning. I'd like to get up there if at all possible, but $$$ IS a factor in that. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry to hear this. Kayak is what I’d use
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Aug 01 9:02 am

Chris83 wrote:
Call Air Canada and see if they have a funeral rate.
You have my sympathy also
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Aug 01 9:37 am

I had a part time job at Total Wine and they were REALLY strict on ID's.

1. If you're ID showed you were 21 or 22, cashier still had to get a manager to look at it.
2. Management had to review any out of state ID (except IA, WI, ND, SD)
3. Management had to review any passport used as ID.
4. If someone was 21 but had friends with them, we would card their friends too. If their friends didn't have IDs, we wouldn't sell to the person who was of age. This happened a lot at closing time. (Obviously didn't apply to young kids with their parents/guardians). Even if the friends left the store, we wouldn't sell to them. If the friends would not have come into the store in the first place, they would have been alright.
5. I never saw this happen but our policy was we didn't sell ANYTHING to anyone under 21. This would include anything non-alcoholic. The principle being that they shouldn't be in a liquor store if they are under 21.

I did always think it was dumb to make people show their paper receipt along with their "clipped" ID but I never thought about the restrictions.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Aug 01 10:51 am

There is more to it than just restrictions. Papers are only good for so many days (used to be 30 I think) and after that they no longer constitute a valid ID. Alcohol purchases without a valid id are problematic.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Aug 01 11:00 am

Handyman wrote:
Thu Aug 01 10:51 am
There is more to it than just restrictions. Papers are only good for so many days (used to be 30 I think) and after that they no longer constitute a valid ID. Alcohol purchases without a valid id are problematic.
I (morbidly) joke about what if someone was in a fatal accident, had a clipped ID, but not their papers. "Um, Mrs. Smith, we think your husband was killed in a car accident but we can't confirm it as his ID was clipped but he didn't have his renewal papers with him."

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 01 9:41 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:37 am

1. If you're ID showed you were 21 or 22, cashier still had to get a manager to look at it.
4. If someone was 21 but had friends with them, we would card their friends too. If their friends didn't have IDs, we wouldn't sell to the person who was of age. This happened a lot at closing time. (Obviously didn't apply to young kids with their parents/guardians). Even if the friends left the store, we wouldn't sell to them. If the friends would not have come into the store in the first place, they would have been alright.
5. I never saw this happen but our policy was we didn't sell ANYTHING to anyone under 21. This would include anything non-alcoholic. The principle being that they shouldn't be in a liquor store if they are under 21.

I did always think it was dumb to make people show their paper receipt along with their "clipped" ID but I never thought about the restrictions.
#4 is quite common in stores.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Aug 01 9:56 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:02 am
Chris83 wrote:
Call Air Canada and see if they have a funeral rate.
You have my sympathy also
Yes, so sorry to hear about your loss. I am curious if you had luck with this or even called? When my Grandma passed away a few years back, I called Delta and they had a small discount...ended up finding out I had enough miles to fly to Pittsburgh and I paid $11.20 in taxes.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Aug 01 10:33 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 01 5:57 am
Chris83 wrote:
Sorry to hear this. Kayak is what I’d use
Yes, if you don't care which airline I'd check Kayak or similar sites for last minute fares. Unfortunately most airlines don't do "funeral" fares anymore, too many cheaters. But a quick Google shows Delta and Air Canada still do! There are some requirements you need to show proof. However, you will be getting a slight discount on their highest fares, I'd still check Kayak before you decide.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Thu Aug 01 11:09 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:41 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 01 9:37 am

#4 is quite common in stores.
I'm 33 and going into a liquor store with my wife I've been denied sales because she didn't have ID, but pretty much only in the metro. If we are headed up North for the weekend and stop some place north of Elk River I can't remember the last time I've been asked for ID, let alone asking my wife too...

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 01 11:21 pm

Up North, they give you a sixer just for walking in the store. ;)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Aug 02 7:38 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 01 11:21 pm
Damnit, I wish! I would stop in several times a day!

I rarely get carded up here. The liquor store by my cabin (Red knows it) Safari Liquors has a bunch of exotic animal mounts in it as the original owner was the local sheriff and avid hunter many years ago. Anyway, I always went in with my Dad when I was a kid and I still bring my kids in there with me to look at the mounts!
Doug Woog - 1990

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Aug 06 9:12 am

What are your thoughts on using a VPN for home/small business/mobile (iPhone/iPad)? Are they necessary?

Note, I am very computer illiterate so please feel free to dumb it down :)

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Aug 06 10:14 am

MNGophers29 wrote:
Fri Aug 02 7:38 am
The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 01 11:21 pm
Damnit, I wish! I would stop in several times a day!

I rarely get carded up here. The liquor store by my cabin (Red knows it) Safari Liquors has a bunch of exotic animal mounts in it as the original owner was the local sheriff and avid hunter many years ago. Anyway, I always went in with my Dad when I was a kid and I still bring my kids in there with me to look at the mounts!
Ahhh, Safari Liquors. Right next to Teals with their fabulous donuts!! A weekend at the cabin isn't complete without a 12 box of mixed donuts; plain, glazed, cinnamon sugar and powered.
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

GopherPete
Veteran
Been liked: 2 times

Post by GopherPete » Tue Aug 06 10:33 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue Aug 06 9:12 am
What are your thoughts on using a VPN for home/small business/mobile (iPhone/iPad)? Are they necessary?

Note, I am very computer illiterate so please feel free to dumb it down :)
I too am very computer illiterate so not sure that from a technical standpoint I have much to offer. I've worked from home for the last 4 years and my company requires me to have a VPN so that I can access their network securely. Not sure if you'll need a static IP also, but I've been using one and it may be necessary in order to have the VPN. Most ISP's will require you to upgrade to their "business" internet instead of residential, which is generally a bit more expensive.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Sun Aug 11 10:36 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Davescharf, Bladepuller, MNGophers29 & Kelly Red: Thank you very much for the feedback, advice and kind thoughts. I actually ended up booking through CheapOair (through a "compare" run via Kayak) and got a terrific rate. I needed to be there and you really helped me out. I greatly appreciate that.

trixR4kids
Veteran
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by trixR4kids » Tue Aug 27 12:38 pm

Anyone having issues getting logged out of GPL and then having to log back in constantly? Sometimes it won't take my user/pw when I log back in too... :confused2:
<GophDogFan> yep, so sad... you have a new moment, when your uncle gets mad because you got the best of him. the last straw was when i told him that UND's hockey program is like crystal pepsi: Nobody every liked it.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Norm » Tue Aug 27 12:47 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue Aug 27 12:38 pm
Anyone having issues getting logged out of GPL and then having to log back in constantly? Sometimes it won't take my user/pw when I log back in too... :confused2:
I thought it was just me. About once a week it happens.
And the homebrew forum I'm on does the same thing on the same day.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Aug 27 1:32 pm

trixR4kids wrote:
Tue Aug 27 12:38 pm
The first part happens to me almost every other day. I've never had it deny my user name/pw though.