This might be a dumb question, but...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: This might be a dumb question, but...

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jun 28 10:46 am

It's so when a command is given everyone on the vessel knows which side they need to look or go, regardless of how they are oriented on the boat. It removes all doubt. Cuts out the "My left or their left?" delay. When someone has a grasp of what port and starboard mean, it is quicker.

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Fri Jun 28 11:41 am

Is that a real big problem when people are trolling around Lake Minnetonka? Is "Captain Tank Top" yelling out lots of orders to his first mate? :lol:
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jun 28 12:23 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 28 11:41 am
Is that a real big problem when people are trolling around Lake Minnetonka? Is "Captain Tank Top" yelling out lots of orders to his first mate? :lol:
Probably not, but that wasn't the question. :mrgreen:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jun 28 2:26 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jun 28 10:46 am
It's so when a command is given everyone on the vessel knows which side they need to look or go, regardless of how they are oriented on the boat. It removes all doubt. Cuts out the "My left or their left?" delay. When someone has a grasp of what port and starboard mean, it is quicker.
Yep. Clarifies "My Right" vs "The boat's Right"
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Orion » Fri Jun 28 3:46 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jun 28 10:25 am
Steve MN wrote:
Fri Jun 28 9:13 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Jun 28 9:04 am
Right and left are still right and left no matter which way you are facing....aren’t they? (Unlike directions like east or west). If not, my whole world is a lie. :lol:
Ahhh... but, if I'm at the front of the ship, yelling back to someone to do something on the port side, I don't know what direction he's facing.
Fair point, but as snowcool pointed out the boat is still an object and no matter which direction it is moving still has a left and right side. But I get what you are saying, that makes sense.
I'm with you on this. We don't see a need to name the boats top and bottom differently so why left and right?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jun 28 3:59 pm

Orion wrote:
Fri Jun 28 3:46 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Right and left are still right and left no matter which way you are facing....aren’t they? (Unlike directions like east or west). If not, my whole world is a lie. :lol:
Ahhh... but, if I'm at the front of the ship, yelling back to someone to do something on the port side, I don't know what direction he's facing.
Fair point, but as snowcool pointed out the boat is still an object and no matter which direction it is moving still has a left and right side. But I get what you are saying, that makes sense.
I'm with you on this. We don't see a need to name the boats top and bottom differently so why left and right?
Because nobody is standing on their heads or laying on their sides when giving directions?

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jun 29 12:46 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
They do the same thing with cars. Driver side vs passenger side.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by D2D » Sat Jun 29 1:35 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jun 29 12:46 pm
I was thinking the exact same thing, just seemed too obvious so I didn't post!

Kelly Red
Veteran
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jun 29 1:37 pm

Orion wrote:
Fri Jun 28 3:46 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
As it's already been explained to you, but I'll speak from experience...
When your sailor husband is yelling at you to pull in the sheet on port side, you better move your ass or you'll hit the marker buoy! :biggrin2: Directions and "requests" get yelled out and immediately need to be followed. There's no time to figure who's left or right.
Who's right or wrong is a totally different arguement!
How many husbands have I had? You mean besides my own?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jun 29 1:40 pm

You need to take the helm, @Kelly Red! 😁

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Jun 29 1:44 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Sat Jun 29 1:40 pm
You need to take the helm, @Kelly Red! 😁
You don't think a mutiny hasn't already been threatened?
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 7 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jul 01 3:07 pm

Handyman wrote:
Fri Jun 28 11:41 am
I laughed out loud while on a conference call reading this!

Front/back or bow/stern seems like a more legit argument regarding orientation on a boat that port/starboard is.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Mon Jul 01 4:01 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
And yet farm machinery has a left side and a right side. Must be that we don't get confused as easy as city folks. :)

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 01 8:20 pm

Norm wrote:
Mon Jul 01 4:01 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
And yet farm machinery has a left side and a right side. Must be that we don't get confused as easy as city folks. :)
You don’t drive cars in farm country?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Norm » Tue Jul 02 12:56 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jul 01 8:20 pm
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Well sure. And if I'm driving I climb into the left side. But if I'm the passenger I climb into the right side.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Jul 03 7:04 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Jul 02 12:56 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Well sure. And if I'm driving I climb into the left side. But if I'm the passenger I climb into the right side.
C’mon now, you don’t tell people “my left side tire is flat”. You say your “driver’s side tire is flat”.
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jul 03 8:36 pm

:conf2:
MNGophers29 wrote:
Wed Jul 03 7:04 pm
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
C’mon now, you don’t tell people “my left side tire is flat”. You say your “driver’s side tire is flat”.
Oh, but there’s two...so is it the fore, or the aft driver’s side tire?
:lol:

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jul 03 9:36 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 03 8:36 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

Bow or stern? :poke:
-Zsa Zsa Gabor

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 03 9:52 pm

"My driver's side rear tire is flat." Yes, I've said that this year.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jul 03 11:43 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jul 03 8:36 pm
MNGophers29 wrote:
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Norm wrote:
Bertogliat wrote:
Cowgirl wrote:

As Kelly Red pointed out, these terms do not describe an area. They describe a direction. :wink:

Sioux Suck
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Mon Jul 08 2:28 pm

I have a couple Koronis replica Gopher jerseys that I want to get customized. Their phone number is not in service and no internet contacts. I’m guessing they may be out of business. Is Koronis Sports Apparel still in business? And, if not, do you know of any places that do a good job of customizing that era of jersey? Thank you!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 08 2:55 pm

Whioux Suck wrote:
Mon Jul 08 2:28 pm
I have a couple Koronis replica Gopher jerseys that I want to get customized. Their phone number is not in service and no internet contacts. I’m guessing they may be out of business. Is Koronis Sports Apparel still in business? And, if not, do you know of any places that do a good job of customizing that era of jersey? Thank you!
I don't know if they do one-offs but you could try:

VintageMNHockey.com
TourneyThreads.com
NorthlandStick.com
vintagegopherthrowbacks@yahoo.com
Currently under construction.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Mon Jul 08 3:17 pm

Scenario:
Neighbor A decides they want to shoot a decent amount of fireworks off in the yard on July 4th (totally legal). Neighbor A goes to Neighbor B, is shares a back yard directly across from Neighbor A, and lets them know they are going to be shooting a bunch off. Asks if they want to come over and watch. Neighbor B says no thank you, they will watch from their deck. Late on July 7th, Neighbor B confronts Neighbor A and claims that fireworks landed on Neighbor B's pool cover damaging it and wants Neighbor A to pay for a new one. Meanwhile, Neighbor C, D & F (all adjacent to Neighbor B) were shooting off fireworks on July 4th.

Who is responsible?

To me, it sounds like Neighbor B wants/needs a new pool cover.
Doug Woog - 1990

gopherguy06
Veteran
Been liked: 3 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Jul 08 3:27 pm

What about Neighbor E!?

Unless they can prove what firework caused the damage, there is no merit.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Jul 08 3:29 pm

I'd consult neighbor E for a ruling. Clearly they will be the most impartial.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 08 3:30 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Mon Jul 08 3:17 pm
Scenario:
Neighbor A decides they want to shoot a decent amount of fireworks off in the yard on July 4th (totally legal). Neighbor A goes to Neighbor B, is shares a back yard directly across from Neighbor A, and lets them know they are going to be shooting a bunch off. Asks if they want to come over and watch. Neighbor B says no thank you, they will watch from their deck. Late on July 7th, Neighbor B confronts Neighbor A and claims that fireworks landed on Neighbor B's pool cover damaging it and wants Neighbor A to pay for a new one. Meanwhile, Neighbor C, D & F (all adjacent to Neighbor B) were shooting off fireworks on July 4th.

Who is responsible?

To me, it sounds like Neighbor B wants/needs a new pool cover.
IDK. I had a ton of firework debris on my deck from my neighbor's display (which I was apart of) and even a little burn mark on a chair. I have no issue with it, but I could see damage to the pool cover. We have a pond between back yards of houses and a few of the fireworks were wide enough to cover the gap from house to house.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Mon Jul 08 8:16 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Jul 08 2:55 pm
Whioux Suck wrote:
Mon Jul 08 2:28 pm
I don't know if they do one-offs but you could try:

VintageMNHockey.com
TourneyThreads.com
NorthlandStick.com
vintagegopherthrowbacks@yahoo.com
Vintage is a sponsor of the GPL podcast if that helps with who you call ;)
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Jul 11 4:22 pm

why that during the winter if a highway light pole is hit and taken down MNDOT replaces the light pole but does not pick up the taken down pole?

Lars Sauve
Rookie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Lars Sauve » Thu Jul 11 7:51 pm

I think I need to find one of these two places, or perhaps both. They are connected.

The first is a mansion on a hillside. It has a view of the Atlantic Ocean and the garden has rhododendrons and roses. At one point, a past owner had a red sports car.

The second is a tiny village by the lakeside, far away from politicians. It's definitely away from the world. No organ grinders in sight.

The first is probably the best starting point. I don't know how far apart the two locations are. Any ideas?
Be net-crashing, steel-driving men, like Oh Henry!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Jul 11 9:50 pm

So... the Bourbon and Rattlesnake I can kind of understand... but.. WTH was he doing with powdered uranium?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ur ... p-n1028956

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 11 9:53 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Jul 11 9:50 pm
So... the Bourbon and Rattlesnake I can kind of understand... but.. WTH was he doing with powdered uranium?

Uranium goes better with whisky. I have no idea why he’d have it with whiskey.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 11 9:54 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 11 9:53 pm
Steve MN wrote:

He was using the uranium and whiskey to soak the snake in, to BBQ up later. Duh.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jul 11 10:00 pm

Steve MN wrote:

"Neither the uranium nor the rattlesnake resulted in charges" is one of my favorite sentences ever constructed.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Jul 11 10:23 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Thu Jul 11 10:00 pm
Steve MN wrote:

"Neither the uranium nor the rattlesnake resulted in charges" is one of my favorite sentences ever constructed.
It does have a certain quality to it, doesn't it?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Jul 11 10:25 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 11 9:54 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 11 9:53 pm
Steve MN wrote:

He was using the uranium and whiskey to soak the snake in, to BBQ up later. Duh.
I suppose we'll have to ask if they have any Uranium and Whiskey soaked Rattlesnake next weekend, won't we?

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Jul 11 10:45 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Jul 11 10:23 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

I am confused, did the bourbon result in charges?
Doug Woog - 1990

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 11 10:50 pm

Open bottle.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jul 11 10:57 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Jul 11 10:45 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

Yes, they also got him for possession of a stolen vehicle and driving with a suspended license.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 11 11:30 pm

MNGophers29 wrote:
Thu Jul 11 10:45 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Karlsson wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

I am sure the fine citizens of Kentucky are fine if we refer to Kentucky Deluxe Whiskey as Whiskey, over bourbon.

And you know it’s pronounced Dee-lux.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 11 11:34 pm

Prolly could git yerself a homewrecker for 'bout tin bucks.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 11 11:35 pm

to a Dee-Lux apartment, in the sky-i-i....

Movin on up!

Yeah, I’m buzzed.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 12 12:50 am

Plutonium I could understand. Uranium? That's just really poor Mixology.
Lars Sauve wrote:
Thu Jul 11 7:51 pm
I think I need to find one of these two places, or perhaps both. They are connected.

The first is a mansion on a hillside. It has a view of the Atlantic Ocean and the garden has rhododendrons and roses. At one point, a past owner had a red sports car.

The second is a tiny village by the lakeside, far away from politicians. It's definitely away from the world. No organ grinders in sight.

The first is probably the best starting point. I don't know how far apart the two locations are. Any ideas?
Wherever it is surely there's a Van Morrison album playing on a vintage turntable.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jul 12 1:04 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Jul 12 12:50 am
Plutonium I could understand. Uranium? That's just really poor Mixology.
Lars Sauve wrote:
Thu Jul 11 7:51 pm

Wherever it is surely there's a Van Morrison album playing on a vintage turntable.
Veedon Fleece, I think.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 12 12:26 pm

Steve MN wrote:

And here I am in the Bangalore airport where Air France is reminding me I’m not allowed to bring wildlife on the plane. Guess that’s why he chose to drive

There are probably 10 people going WTF as I’m standing in a security line laughing out loud as I read this link

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Jul 12 3:10 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 12 12:26 pm
Steve MN wrote:

And here I am in the Bangalore airport where Air France is reminding me I’m not allowed to bring wildlife on the plane. Guess that’s why he chose to drive

There are probably 10 people going WTF as I’m standing in a security line laughing out loud as I read this link
So... you're saying I should have filed this under "Simple Pleasures" instead? :mrgreen:

Lars Sauve
Rookie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Lars Sauve » Fri Jul 12 9:15 pm

Back on Top, actually. At one of those locations, I expect to find the song playing on a twin to the music box that was sent to me so many years ago.
Be net-crashing, steel-driving men, like Oh Henry!

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Jul 12 9:33 pm

Over half the Cleveland Indians have HUGE wads of chew in their mouth when they come to the plate... Do any other professional sports have guys chew while playing? Can't say I've seen it in NHL or NFL and I don't watch NBA. Maybe PGA? Would MLB ever do anything about it? It's disgusting to watch guys spit out huge streams of chew spit every other pitch

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 12 9:52 pm

From what I've heard over the years, there are (were?) quite a few PGAers that basically chainsmoke, but not on camera. It's an image thing. Guy LaFleur used to smoke a cig in between shifts on the bench (although I doubt that happens now at all). Many MLB parks are tobacco free, and they do enforce it. Some players have switched to massive amounts of gum (nicotine or nicotine free, depending) just for the sensation of chewing......

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 12 10:31 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Fri Jul 12 9:33 pm
Over half the Cleveland Indians have HUGE wads of chew in their mouth when they come to the plate... Do any other professional sports have guys chew while playing? Can't say I've seen it in NHL or NFL and I don't watch NBA. Maybe PGA? Would MLB ever do anything about it? It's disgusting to watch guys spit out huge streams of chew spit every other pitch
I have seen it in hockey, but it was years ago, and obviously not very common. I remember watching a game and seeing a skater spit a nice brown stream on the ice.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Jul 13 7:49 am

Ever seen Sandlot? Right or wrong, it’s part of baseball. Now, a dip versus a plug of Beech Nut is very different.

I chewed for 24 years until this past winter. Stopped cold turkey thanks to Grinds, which are coffee filled pouches developed and marketed specifically to MLB.
Doug Woog - 1990

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sat Jul 13 12:51 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
I would say it was around 10-15 years ago that they banned tobacco in the minor leagues for baseball. It was an attempt to get the players to stop using it and by the time they got to the pros, they wouldn’t. It has worked well enough, just not perfect. Most sports you are breathing too heavy to keep a dip in the whole time. Baseball has a lot of down time. Also, you can’t spit it on a basketball court or hockey rink very easily.

Some PGA players and caddies smoke, but they don’t show it on camera. When they had that US Open challenge years back where Tiger said a 10 handicap couldn’t break 100 on those courses. They had pros caddying for the players and the pros all had dips in the entire time. I remember Ricky Fowler walking around with a spit cup the entire round.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times

Post by gopher6 » Sat Jul 13 5:18 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sat Jul 13 12:51 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
I would say it was around 10-15 years ago that they banned tobacco in the minor leagues for baseball. It was an attempt to get the players to stop using it and by the time they got to the pros, they wouldn’t. It has worked well enough, just not perfect. Most sports you are breathing too heavy to keep a dip in the whole time. Baseball has a lot of down time. Also, you can’t spit it on a basketball court or hockey rink very easily.

Some PGA players and caddies smoke, but they don’t show it on camera. When they had that US Open challenge years back where Tiger said a 10 handicap couldn’t break 100 on those courses. They had pros caddying for the players and the pros all had dips in the entire time. I remember Ricky Fowler walking around with a spit cup the entire round.
Denny Savard was a 3 pack a day smoker with the Blackhawk's while skating around everybody

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 13 7:46 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
fightclub30 wrote:

Couple years ago I was in Foxboro staying outside Gillette stadium between the two FedEx cup playoff events in Boston. A number of Pros were at the hotel I stayed at and I often saw guys smoking as I came and went

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 14 7:38 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Jason Dufner is one PGA guy who stands out as having a dip in. I'm not sure if he still does but back when he was really playing well 3-4 years ago he always had a lipper in.

During pre-season you'll see some NFL players on the sidelines with a dip in. I know Adrian Peterson was one of them. Some of the linemen do too.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Jul 18 12:15 pm

Is anyone or anyone you know actually going to the TC Summer Jam? The radio has been pimping it for months and it sounds awful. No one I have talked to has any interest in it.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jul 18 1:31 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Jul 18 12:15 pm
Is anyone or anyone you know actually going to the TC Summer Jam? The radio has been pimping it for months and it sounds awful. No one I have talked to has any interest in it.
From what I hear they can't give away tickets fast enough and they've discounted the original price at least once. The promoters should be shot. Stretching it out over 3 days instead of 1 or 2, way too many artists way past their prime, instead of pairing Rascal Flats and (Tim McGraw?) on the same day they're playing on separate days, and the prices are way out of line for the talent they secured. Hawkey thinks his band is the shiznit though. :lol:

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Thu Jul 18 3:28 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Sat Jul 13 5:18 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
fightclub30 wrote:

Denny Savard was a 3 pack a day smoker with the Blackhawk's while skating around everybody
https://www.si.com/nhl/2012/02/29/playe ... snhlhockey

When the NHL lit lamps and smokes
By Adrian Dater February 29, 2012

When Mike Keenan arrived to coach the Blackhawks in 1988, he noticed something disturbing in his team's dressing room at Chicago Stadium: ashtrays. Not just the squiggly-squared, amber-colored glass trays that populated most public places, but tall, regal-looking stands. Finished butts, dozens of them, had been given proper state funerals, or so it looked.

Keenan, no saint but never a smoker, was shocked.

"I had just come from Philadelphia, where there really weren't a lot of guys who smoked," he says. "But I walk in and see those ashtrays everywhere, and the first thing I told the guys was: 'OK, no more smoking in the dressing room. If you gotta smoke, do it out in the hallway.' So I'm coaching my first exhibition game and I go into the dressing room after the first period to talk, and there's no one in there. I'm wondering what in hell is going on, and take a walk out to the other side of the hallway and the whole team is out there, smoking cigarettes." :lol:

If you're under the age of 30, you probably find it hard to believe that people used to be able to smoke in restaurants, bars, sporting arenas and even planes, trains and buses. You might be just as shocked by the fact that a lot of athletes and coaches once regularly puffed away -- even during games -- and pitched tobacco products.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jul 19 11:00 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Jul 18 1:31 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Jul 18 12:15 pm
From what I hear they can't give away tickets fast enough and they've discounted the original price at least once. The promoters should be shot. Stretching it out over 3 days instead of 1 or 2, way too many artists way past their prime, instead of pairing Rascal Flats and (Tim McGraw?) on the same day they're playing on separate days, and the prices are way out of line for the talent they secured. Hawkey thinks his band is the shiznit though. :lol:
Well wherever you heard that was way wrong...I didn't go but I know people who did and it was well attended. Tonight Aerosmith will cause huge sales as well.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 19 12:27 pm

I saw pictures from last night including the VIP section and was not impressed. People are trying to sell pre-sale VIP tickets online for $50 and they paid $150. Today may be a different story.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Jul 19 2:26 pm

The VIP was overpriced (I looked into it when I was going to go) and that was what appears to be their big blunder. The GA sold very well from all accounts. Its the first year of the show they overvalued it which isnt exactly uncommon. (especially when the first day headliner is Rascal Flatts on a Thursday)

If I had to guess next year they will cut the VIP down significantly or make better deals for people to buy them in packages. For the price it just isnt worth it because people arent going to see Aerosmith and sit in a chair. The "Grey Duck" VIP is probably more in line with what they should do and Hawkey admits they screwed up not getting more outfits like that involved for charity purposes. They had WAY too much VIP options and that just isnt going to be attractive to most people going to this type of show.

As someone who went to Edgefest, multiple X-Fests and multiple Ozzfests to me it sounds like a much better set up it just needs some tweaking on the tickets and pricepoints. Also I am not sure Thursday-Saturday is the way to do it but I am sure Cantebury doesnt want to lose a Sunday during racing season (when they are already losing Friday and Saturday) so I get it.

If they learn from their mistakes this could be a fun deal. If they dont make the needed changes it will die on the vine after next year.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 19 3:51 pm

According to the Strib, about 15,000 people attended Thursdays show. They are expecting more tonight. The article also pointed out that some of the ticket prices were cut from $149 to $99.

team22tank
Veteran
Been liked: 16 times

Post by team22tank » Fri Jul 19 4:25 pm

What time is Aerosmith suppose to go on tonight?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 19 4:37 pm

team22tank wrote:
Fri Jul 19 4:25 pm
What time is Aerosmith suppose to go on tonight?
5 minutes before I couldn't care less.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 22 7:48 am

I have some friends that went to the TC Summer Jam shows and they had an absolute blast.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by george » Mon Jul 22 9:12 am

I'm going to Duluth for some project work and I'll have some time to kill. I'll be up there pretty early today so will have afternoon and evening time and some tomorrow evening. Any suggestions on how I should fill a few hours?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Jul 22 9:19 am

Lakewalk, Jay Cooke, Bent Paddle, OMC smokehouse is getting hype never been there, Northern Waters, Anchor
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
103 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Orion
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Orion » Mon Jul 22 10:05 am

george wrote:
Mon Jul 22 9:12 am
I'm going to Duluth for some project work and I'll have some time to kill. I'll be up there pretty early today so will have afternoon and evening time and some tomorrow evening. Any suggestions on how I should fill a few hours?
Just go to the casino. :)

If you have enough time, eveleth is an hour away. Go see the hockey Hall of Fame.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 22 10:24 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Jul 22 7:48 am
I have some friends that went to the TC Summer Jam shows and they had an absolute blast.
My gf's friend works for Bell Bank (one of the sponsors) so she was pretty much was front row and was Facebooking it. Looked very cool.

BTW Hawkey did say what I figured he would say, they had way too much VIP and next year that wont be the case. I assume today he will give more background stories and what worked/didnt work I just havent listened yet.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 22 10:26 am

george wrote:
Thirsty Pagan Brewery in Superior has tremendous pizza. I wouldn't order the beer, though.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Jul 22 10:48 am

If you’re thirsty, over on superior street two cideries (Wild State and Duluth Cider) and a brewery (Ursa Minor) all a block apart. The flatbread pizza at the brewery was great.

Clyde Iron Works is a solid stop for food too, or the Northern Waters Smokehaus in canal park.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Jul 22 11:35 am

Oh man...Hawkey's story about Steven Tyler was pretty lame. Never meet your idols I guess...

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Jul 22 12:10 pm

I was at Canterbury playing cards on Saturday. The concert didn’t have much of an effect on the casino. It was Pitbull and Tim McGraw day. We joked that we couldn’t find one Pitbull fan walking through. Heard he put on a hell of a show though.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jul 22 12:20 pm

Orion wrote:
Mon Jul 22 10:05 am
george wrote:
Just go to the casino. :)

If you have enough time, eveleth is an hour away. Go see the hockey Hall of Fame.
The Black Bear casino off 35 near Cloquet is fine...but the one in Downtown Duluth is dreadful. Lots of fun places to go in Canal Park, including Grandmas. Pizza Luce is also good for the meat or veggie slice of the day.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 22 1:05 pm

Pizza, beer, cider, cider, beer, pizza, pizza.

I am sensing a theme.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 22 4:33 pm

So Hawkey admits on the record that they basically gouged people so they could afford to hire Aerosmith, but went too far in their gouging, resulting in a sparse VIP section that ticked off the lead singer.

Good luck getting Journey to headline next year.