Simple Pleasures...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 238 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Beauner » Sun Oct 20 10:03 pm

I'm going to Vegas for the first time ever on Wednesday (for a softball tournament). I'm real excited for it.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 174 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Oct 20 10:08 pm

Beauner wrote:
Sun Oct 20 10:03 pm
I'm going to Vegas for the first time ever on Wednesday (for a softball tournament). I'm real excited for it.
Do NOT pay attention to the "slappers" (the guys with the strip club ads). Just sayin'.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 246 times

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Oct 20 10:17 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Oct 20 10:08 pm
Beauner wrote:
Do NOT pay attention to the "slappers" (the guys with the strip club ads). Just sayin'.
Not quite strip club ads....

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Oct 20 10:25 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Oct 20 10:17 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sun Oct 20 10:08 pm
Beauner wrote:
Not quite strip club ads....
You know what I mean though. Legally, they cannot initiate contact. One you engage them, though, all bets are off.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

J22
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by J22 » Sun Oct 20 10:29 pm

Beauner wrote:
Field of dreams?

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 293 times
Been liked: 346 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Oct 21 1:06 am

The slappers are almost all gone. A decade ago it was way worse but last weekend I think I saw 2.

Now the people trying to get you to buy tickets to a show or sign up for something...they are twice as bad as they used to be.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Oct 21 7:52 am

J22 wrote:
Sun Oct 20 10:29 pm
Beauner wrote:
Field of dreams?
Yeah we'll be at Big League Dreams for the duration of the tournament it sounds like.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 75 times

Post by george » Mon Oct 21 10:29 am

Over the weekend we assembled a new shed. A polyethylene version. The pleasure part was this morning. After I finished yesterday I thought I was missing two support brackets. I called the company today, as I was describing what is missing I read the manual closer and realized my model only gets 2 brackets, not 4 like I thought. I asked to buy 2 more and she said she would just send them to me, no charge. Thank you Suncast rep. :dup:

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Oct 21 11:12 am

george wrote:
Mon Oct 21 10:29 am
Over the weekend we assembled a new shed. A polyethylene version. The pleasure part was this morning. After I finished yesterday I thought I was missing two support brackets. I called the company today, as I was describing what is missing I read the manual closer and realized my model only gets 2 brackets, not 4 like I thought. I asked to buy 2 more and she said she would just send them to me, no charge. Thank you Suncast rep. :dup:
A She Shed? Sweet. How’s the decorating coming along?
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Oct 21 11:19 am

george wrote:
I have purchased a couple Suncast products and they were built very well. I would look for that brand for future purposes.

Our kids' play set was great (and actually looked nice too). Outside of paying ridiculous "Rainbow" play set pricing, Suncast had to be the best product out there.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Mon Oct 21 11:24 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Oct 21 11:12 am
george wrote:
If my wife wants to go in there and sit on the riding mower to hang out, she's welcome to it! As for decorating, I'm still figuring out how to hang some shelves and the long handled tools (rakes, shovels, etc.). One of the downsides of the poly shed - limits on where to attach things - but no painting or shingling!

By the way, thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday. :wink:

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Oct 21 11:37 am

george wrote:
Mon Oct 21 11:24 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Oct 21 11:12 am
george wrote:
If my wife wants to go in there and sit on the riding mower to hang out, she's welcome to it! As for decorating, I'm still figuring out how to hang some shelves and the long handled tools (rakes, shovels, etc.). One of the downsides of the poly shed - limits on where to attach things - but no painting or shingling!

By the way, thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday. :wink:
That sounds like what my husband would say! :biggrin2:
As for hanging stuff, I put up a large piece of peg board and then use S hooks to hold stuff. Works great, you can rearrange crap and only takes 2 bolts to attach vs multiple. You could attach shelves to the peg board too.
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 279 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Oct 21 2:52 pm

Currently under construction.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Oct 21 4:04 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Oct 21 2:52 pm
Those poor dogs are thinking “ Dude, you yell at us for leaving a brown patch on the lawn!”
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Oct 21 8:27 pm

Adios to one of my favorite simple pleasures...

https://jalopnik.com/north-carolinas-in ... 1839237006

Greyeagle
Has liked: 621 times
Been liked: 465 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Oct 21 8:37 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Oct 21 8:27 pm

Say it isn't so!
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

YoungEagle
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by YoungEagle » Mon Oct 21 8:59 pm

Handyman wrote:
Sun Oct 20 10:02 pm
Why does he travel so much when he has a cabin? :lol:

:ahhh: :ahhh:
Donny you're out of your element

Boston Apologist

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Oct 22 12:39 pm

Every time I go to use the, "Freeze Panes" feature I imagine Weird Al making it into a parody of Freeze Frame.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Oct 24 2:19 pm

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Zwak » Fri Oct 25 8:48 am

Non-political political post: Yesterday I gave up Twitter and visiting news sites because i just can't take our political situation anymore. Amazing what a good mood I was in the rest of the day.

I did go back into Twitter later in the day but unfollowed several news sites/reporters and muted some words/accounts. Made Twitter SO much more enjoyable.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Oct 25 9:07 am

Zwak wrote:
Fri Oct 25 8:48 am
Non-political political post: Yesterday I gave up Twitter and visiting news sites because i just can't take our political situation anymore. Amazing what a good mood I was in the rest of the day.

I did go back into Twitter later in the day but unfollowed several news sites/reporters and muted some words/accounts. Made Twitter SO much more enjoyable.
I try to stay away from that as much as possible. I'd rather follow Rex Chapman, Paul Bronks, Someone's an Idiot, Darwin Award, etc.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by JC65 » Fri Oct 25 12:10 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Oct 21 8:27 pm

It's only getting raised like 8 inches and will still decapitate trucks for years to come.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30524/fam ... he-carnage

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Oct 25 12:36 pm

This topic will get more eyes then the Marketplace. I am "Marie Kondo-ing" my office. I have the following group of Gopher things FREE. This stuff would make a great stocking stuffer for a kid.

Plastic B10 goalie mask
TWO Gopher dental floss pacs
Gopher teeth mouth piece
Gopher face neck gator
B10 beads
St Paul Frozen Four can cozzie
Weird Red Baron WCHA tourney flag

Look, it's just freebie stuff I've saved over the years but if some kid would enjoy it, the items are yours. PM me.

*Big kids included :D
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Oct 25 12:46 pm

I remember all of those, except for Gopher dental floss - what a bizarre giveaway. 😂

I wish we still got some of the things I remember from my college years - shorts, shirts (you bet your spam I’m a gopher fan!), replica championship rings, magnets, keychains....there was ways something at the border battle and the holiday classic (when it was sponsored by Dodge).

Again, not that those things will necessarily drive up the attendance significantly, but if they had cool giveaways maybe we could entice more people once in awhile.

As for the weird final five flag - is it the orange striped one on the little black pole? I’ve found some of those floating around when I cleaned recently too.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Oct 25 1:14 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Oct 25 12:46 pm
I remember all of those, except for Gopher dental floss - what a bizarre giveaway. 😂

I wish we still got some of the things I remember from my college years - shorts, shirts (you bet your spam I’m a gopher fan!), replica championship rings, magnets, keychains....there was ways something at the border battle and the holiday classic (when it was sponsored by Dodge).

Again, not that those things will necessarily drive up the attendance significantly, but if they had cool giveaways maybe we could entice more people once in awhile.

As for the weird final five flag - is it the orange striped one on the little black pole? I’ve found some of those floating around when I cleaned recently too.
Yes on the flag. The dental floss is hilarious. Gopher face on light cardboard. A full sized dental floss is tucked behind the gopher teeth. Sponsored by the UofM Dental Clinics.

And I’m keeping the Goldie hockey bobble head! That one stays :dup:
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by D2D » Fri Oct 25 2:43 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Oct 25 1:14 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

Yes on the flag. The dental floss is hilarious. Gopher face on light cardboard. A full sized dental floss is tucked behind the gopher teeth. Sponsored by the UofM Dental Clinics.

I have the Gopher dental floss too! And I also have the bobble head, which says "2002 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" on the base. Both sit right below my Terrence Fogarty painting (#342 of 500) titled "SALUTE to 75 Seasons 1922-1997". :good2:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Oct 25 2:48 pm

Were the teeth and dental floss given away at a Colgate game?

Sioux Suck
Rookie
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Sioux Suck » Fri Oct 25 3:30 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Oct 25 2:43 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Oct 25 1:14 pm
Cowgirl wrote:

I have the Gopher dental floss too! And I also have the bobble head, which says "2002 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS" on the base. Both sit right below my Terrence Fogarty painting (#342 of 500) titled "SALUTE to 75 Seasons 1922-1997". :good2:
I remember handing these out in dental school. They were so cool, I kept a couple for myself as a keepsake. They used to hand them out at hockey, football, and basketball games. They would give us free tickets to watch the games after all the flosses were handed out. I'd always hand out during basketball games since I already had two-night season hockey tickets and season football tickets.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Composer » Fri Oct 25 8:52 pm

Apparently the floss wasn’t a very effective giveaway if everybody just saved them! :lol:

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Sat Oct 26 10:54 am

Composer wrote:
Fri Oct 25 8:52 pm
Apparently the floss wasn’t a very effective giveaway if everybody just saved them! :lol:
It was mint. I hate mint. But your observation is funny and correct. :D
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Oct 26 11:00 am

Someone needs to post a picture of this floss.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Composer » Sat Oct 26 11:06 am

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Oct 26 4:27 pm

:lol:

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Oct 26 4:45 pm

That is outstanding :lol:

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Chris83 » Sat Oct 26 8:08 pm

I don't care who you are, that's funny... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Oct 29 12:49 pm

https://nypost.com/2019/10/27/man-who-s ... th-dealer/

Man who said he saw Yogi Bear in Yellowstone turned out to be meth dealer
This drug dealer wasn’t smarter than the average bear.
:lol: :lol:

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Oct 30 7:42 am

My simple pleasure is the person behind my GPL moniker G-man, my son Grant. He is a freshman in high school this year which is daunting enough but also being the only kid at home with my daughter away at college has its disadvantages on a teenage boy. Over the course of the last 4 or 5 months he has successfully juggled Lancers Marching Band and summer football workouts which then rolled right into preseason football. Then school started with football practice every day with a game one day a week. Then as football was wrapping up he followed his sister's footsteps and joined the tech club to work behind the scenes of the fall play. Then about three weeks ago he tells me that he wants to go out for wrestling this year, as a former wrestler that made me uber proud to hear. So as football ends he is full on into helping build sets for the play and now preseason wrestling workouts are going on.

He is doing all of this and making A LOT of new friends and being involved and social like never before. AND....his grades are all A's and B's with only having a few assignments turned in late. He has done all of this and has done very little to no complaining. He is busier than he ever has been and is happier than any of the years in middle school. I know that this won't last all four years of his high school life but I'll take it while it lasts. And I'll gladly inconvenience myself to help him be apart of all of this if it makes him happy and makes life better for him at school and home. My wife and I are just damn proud of the dude.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Oct 30 10:50 pm

My ticket from Planet Hollywood in Vegas from my last trip picking the Nats to win the Series :)

(only a $20 bet but $52 when I go back!)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 30 10:53 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Oct 30 10:50 pm
My ticket from Planet Hollywood in Vegas from my last trip picking the Nats to win the Series :)

IIRC, you can Register Mail it (I think that's the term) to collect. You don't have to go back (although I don't see any reason to NOT go back...)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 196 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Oct 30 10:56 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Oct 30 10:53 pm
Handyman wrote:

IIRC, you can Register Mail it (I think that's the term) to collect. You don't have to go back (although I don't see any reason to NOT go back...)
Don't remember if it requires Registered... but that would eat up a pretty good chunk of the winnings on that.

Only time I ever mailed in a ticket was for the Gophers winning 2003... that was like a 5:1 or something?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 30 11:01 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Oct 30 10:56 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Oct 30 10:53 pm
Handyman wrote:

Don't remember if it requires Registered... but that would eat up a pretty good chunk of the winnings on that.

Only time I ever mailed in a ticket was for the Gophers winning 2003... that was like a 5:1 or something?
That I don't know (the odds).

At the time, I didn't know you could mail in winning tickets, and I wish I knew at the time. :oops:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Oct 30 11:04 pm

I have mailed tickets...it works fine. I'm going in December though so no need :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 30 11:06 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Oct 30 11:04 pm
I have mailed tickets...it works fine. I'm going in December though so no need :)
So, um, wanna put a bet in? I keed, I keed.

Honestly, with online betting now, I'm resisting the so-called demon. I LOVE sports betting.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by davescharf » Thu Oct 31 9:11 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Oct 30 11:04 pm
So you’re betting on the Wild to win the Cup and the Gophers to win the Rose Bowl? Sweet...
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Oct 31 10:38 pm

My buddy bet $80 on the Gophers to cover vs. Maryland while we were there.

He lost the ticket. 🤣🤣🤣

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by D2D » Thu Oct 31 11:04 pm

Beauner wrote:
Thu Oct 31 10:38 pm

He lost the ticket. 🤣🤣🤣
Is that him to the left, banging his head on the wall?

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Nov 01 12:02 am

Beauner wrote:

He lost the ticket. 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah I lost $20 when the Gophs covered against Rutgers :evil: :evil: :lol:

I will definitely put money on whatever bowl we are in since I'm going at Christmas :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 01 7:22 am

D2D wrote:
Thu Oct 31 11:04 pm
Beauner wrote:

He lost the ticket. 🤣🤣🤣
Is that him to the left, banging his head on the wall?
I don't think the guy to the left has enough marijuana in his system to be my buddy 🤣
I think 6-7 guys on our team dropped a combined 2K at various dispensaries in Vegas. One guy spent over $600 on his own.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Kelor » Fri Nov 01 9:55 am

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... OysG3KFc4M

Poll lists Edina as the worst city in Minnesota as picked by Minnesotan's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Fri Nov 01 11:35 am

Kelor wrote:
Fri Nov 01 9:55 am

Poll lists Edina as the worst city in Minnesota as picked by Minnesotan's. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 01 11:37 am

Kelor wrote:

Clearly those polled all have met at least 1 person from Edina. :mrgreen:

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Fri Nov 01 1:45 pm

My cousin in Milwaukee (yeah, he is a Stinkin BADger) just announced that his Chinese born wife finally got her permanent residency granted! It's been a difficult path for them without a corporate sponsor and him losing his job recently.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Nov 02 10:31 am

Not sure what is better, that Edina is MN’s or Grand Forks is ND’s..
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Nov 02 8:31 pm

Kelor wrote:

Orlando is the correct pic for Florida and that says a LOT
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 05 3:34 pm

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Nov 05 3:47 pm

:lol:

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Nov 05 3:54 pm

Finishing up the harvest season, including tillage. Been one heck of a couple years. The way it worked out, I only missed 1 Gopher Hockey home series. Time to relax for 5 months.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Norm » Tue Nov 05 3:59 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Nov 05 3:54 pm
Finishing up the harvest season, including tillage. Been one heck of a couple years. The way it worked out, I only missed 1 Gopher Hockey home series. Time to relax for 5 months.
Good to hear. The corn is only half done around here (125 miles NE of you). Too friggin wet.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 224 times

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Nov 05 4:12 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Nov 05 3:59 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Tue Nov 05 3:54 pm
Good to hear. The corn is only half done around here (125 miles NE of you). Too friggin wet.
I would say that is about the same around here as well. It was the wettest corn I have ever taken out, so my drying costs were more than normal. Doesn't appear the corn will dry anymore so it's going to be a struggle for the rest of the farmers.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Nov 06 2:23 pm

You dented my bumper!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Nov 06 3:36 pm

A bit dusty in here...

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Wed Nov 06 5:59 pm

I'm very thankful that dogs have no clue how much we don't deserve them.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Wed Nov 06 7:49 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Nov 06 5:59 pm
This.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Thu Nov 07 9:20 am

Karlsson wrote:
Wed Nov 06 5:59 pm
Yuuuuup.

Chris83
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 61 times

Post by Chris83 » Thu Nov 07 11:58 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Nov 06 3:36 pm
A bit dusty in here...

Simply wonderful
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 182 times

Post by JWG » Thu Nov 07 12:40 pm

I spent the first 30 seconds yelling, "pet the damn dog!" :mrgreen:
JWG
[This space for rent]

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Nov 08 4:32 pm

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Nov 12 7:31 am

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Tue Nov 12 9:40 am

Nicely done!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Nov 12 10:34 am

Now that’s funny.

My husbands comment when they ran that clip during the game was, “ but he’ll need a hip replacement by the time he’s 50”.
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Nov 12 3:09 pm

I am going to apologize in advance for this post, but I need an outlet and I know there are dog people on this site so this place is as good as any for me.

We brought our 9 year old dog home from the vet today, and her blood/protein/liver values are finally in the normal range!!! We can start tapering off medicine.

Around memorial day, our dog got very sick while at the family cabin. We took her to several vets who told us she would get over it in time, just a bug. After not getting better for a few weeks, we asked what we could do and were referred to blue pearl in EP. Off the bat we were looking at $3,000+ in tests on a maybe.

My wife and I recently got out of debt (minus the house), its own simple pleasure, following the Dave Ramsey method. It is the only reason we could even have a conversation about spending $3,000 on our dog. At the same time, it has changed the way I look at money and expenses - everything has a bottom line. Plus before our appointment everyone shared stories with me of specialty vets and saying "its all for naught" - we spent all this money and our pet died shortly afterwards anyway. Stories of spending $7k-$10k and only getting 2 more weeks with the pet. Not one person shared a positive story about specialty vets with us.

Our dog was not in a good place and I also wondered if I was prolonging her suffering. The vet said it could be 3 things, but he felt strongly it was one of 2 - Cancer or IBD/PLE. Thankfully, I guess, we were told it was IBD/PLE and not cancer. He felt like we had a 70% chance to get past this. She became allergic to her food, and most food, and her immune system was attacking her. She she didn't feel good enough to eat, and then when she finally did her food would making her sick and send her immune system into overdrive to attack her digestive system.

After about 6 weeks she wasn't responding to medicine and stopped eating. All the vet recommended, medicated food she would eat for 5-6 days then stop.
The steroid she was on was causing her to lose control of her bladder and bowels, getting her to take the pills was an awful fight, she went from 24 lbs to just over 14 lbs and was too weak to do much of anything. We'd be good for 10 days, then have a set back. Each set back was getting worse and worse, and she'd never get back to the same level she was at before the previous set back. We had a really bad weekend where she was panting uncontrollably and took her to the emergency vet. The vet there gave us morphine and explained that we should probably look at the alternatives...

The drive home, not only was I upset about losing our beloved dog, and trying to explain that to our 2 year old who absolutely adores her - first question in the morning, not good morning dad, its "where's puppy?". But i was upset I let myself spend, over $5,000 at this point, when everyone warned me it would be all for naught. We used all of what we had saved up for a start of a 529 and then some. Extended family had told us we were stupid for spending that - it's just a dog, you can buy a new one for $100. They'd all be able to say "I told you so." They'd tell me the charities that could've feed numerous starving children with that money instead of 1 dog who was dying anyway. It was a horrible car ride.

My wife and I brought her home, and held her with our 2 year old, cried and planned to call and schedule an appointment to put her down. I made grilled chicken, egg whites, and apple placed it on a plate on the floor in front of her and she wouldn't even touch it. Before bed that night, i held my dog close and asked her to show me a sign if she still wanted to fight. I woke up around 2am to her tags clinking against the plate as she ate some of the food, and eating for the first time in almost 3 days. I laid on the floor next to her and petted her while she ate and she licked my face and wagged her tail. Neither of which she had done in a few weeks. Needless to say, we never made that appointment.

Our next check-in with Blue Pearl, the vet admitted we probably only had one more chance to get the medication/food right. Our vet went out of left field and tried a drug that was used to treat something completely different, but he read an article about it being tested to treat this. We gave him our permission to go a different route. All the vet food had lists of 35+ ingredients so we couldn't pin down what was causing the problem. We switched to a food with 9 ingredients and a novel protein, different from what she had been eating her entire life up to that point. She slowly, slowly started to improve. Each check-in her levels were slightly better, but not yet normal.

About a month ago she first wanted to play with toys but was still too weak to run, go up stairs, jump on the couch, etc. She has slowly gained weight, acting more and more normal. These last 2 weeks, she has her full energy back, loves playing with our daughter again, jumping on the couch. Today when we heard her levels were back to normal, and we can start to taper medicine we were elated. I think I was happier coming home from the vet today than when the Gophers beat Penn State on Saturday. Yeah, We've spent close to $7,000 on the dog in the last 6 months and our family will still tell us how stupid we are, but our Dog is back to normal, acting normal, and we hopefully get to be with her for a few more years. I am going to do my best to never think about the money again. She has clearly re-gained her quality of life and both she and my daughter make each other (and us) so happy it was clearly worth it. We had observed her getting better, but it was slow and gradual, never a "hey, I think she might be getting past this" moment, and I think both my wife and I kept seeing this major setback in our heads. Today was that moment. We are out of the woods yet, but we can finally see daylight at the edge of the forest.

I am sorry for the super long post, with probably too much information. There were some dark days with our pet that were really trying for our family, but we always tried to keep our hope but came very close to losing it.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Nov 12 3:47 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Nov 12 7:31 am
This is the new dancing Travolta apparently.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Tue Nov 12 3:48 pm

It’s your Dog and your money. If your extended family can’t understand that and/or disagree with your actions...screw um. Glad to hear your Dog is doing much better 👍

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times

Post by Norm » Tue Nov 12 4:14 pm

It's not anyones' place to tell you you're stupid for spending so much on your dog. And if your kid is only 2 you should have time to build up the college fund.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Nov 12 5:15 pm

It is too often that people share the bad experiences instead of the good - and as part of their grief, they blame the vets who of course are only in it for the money.
For some reason the practice of medicine in animals is still regarded much differently than it is for humans and the expectations are vastly different. Dogs too can present as difficult medical cases that unfortunately take time and yes, money to solve, and there is not always a cure.

I commend you for treating your dog as a family member, but at the same time I fully understand the financial aspect. I thankfully haven’t had to make those kind of decisions yet with my dog and don’t know far I’d go financially.

I also thank you for sharing a story that even though was a lot of heartache and frustration for you, had a positive outcome. I’m happy to hear your furry friend is doing well, and hopefully for years to come!