Simple Pleasures...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Jul 12 1:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jul 11 10:36 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sat Jul 11 10:30 pm
Anyone have a good image of the football vintage Goldy like an image.
Not sure if this will help... https://www.google.com/search?q=vintage ... 30&bih=852
He needs the original image and not one from the shirt which I see.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 12 9:01 pm

That comet pic is friggin' sweet, Jup.

Hit up LTD, per usual Sunday with friends. I walk in, stand in line (yes, 6 ft apart ;) ). One line to pay, then you go get your beer. I hear "Hey, Rube! Come over here!" from Kristin, the beertender. I walk over to the bar, and "Here's your beer, it's on the house." :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 416 times

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 13 12:31 am

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Jul 12 2:05 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Jul 12 1:32 am
It's not the greatest image but we made homemade hummus including the tahini completely from scratch.
Did you peel all the chickpeas? That's a serious pain in the a.
No - our food processor is good enough to pulverize them and still make for a very creamy end result.
Currently under construction.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Jul 13 12:21 pm

NEOWISE
3:58am
South Fork, Crow River

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 13 10:08 pm

NSFW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But so much truth.

MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jul 14 11:29 am

“May result in a severe case of minding your own damn business.”
Now that’s funny!
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Wed Jul 15 7:42 am

Jupiter wrote:
Sun Jul 12 1:06 pm
I was able to get the comet this morning... much further north than I thought it would be...

Yeah--I went out last night and saw it. Could actually see it with the naked eye, but I had my binoculars with me as well. Nice shot!

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Wed Jul 15 8:42 am

Composer wrote:
Wed Jul 15 7:42 am
Jupiter wrote:
Sun Jul 12 1:06 pm
I was able to get the comet this morning... much further north than I thought it would be...

Yeah--I went out last night and saw it. Could actually see it with the naked eye, but I had my binoculars with me as well. Nice shot!
I think I was able to see it from my house but all the light in the neighborhood made it hard for me to make out the tail too clearly. I don't have a good set of binoculars and was really wishing I did last night.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Composer » Wed Jul 15 8:16 pm

At this point, they probably don’t need to be good binoculars. You’ll see it better, anyway.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 18 3:55 pm

Waiting in line at Back Channel today, and saw what I can only assume is that local Exotic Car Club drive by. Quite a few Ferraris (newer and vintage), a Studebaker, an Opel, a Porsche sprinkled in the mix, etc. That really made my day. It was that awesome.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 319 times

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 19 9:29 am

For the first time in over two weeks I feel like I am pretty damn close to back to "normal".
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Jul 19 10:51 am

Beauner wrote:
Sun Jul 19 9:29 am
For the first time in over two weeks I feel like I am pretty damn close to back to "normal".
Glad to hear it. I’m assuming you tested positive then?

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Jul 20 7:27 am

First, glad to hear you're feeling better Beauner!

Well, I'm back. My exit wasn't pretty but my head wasn't in a good space. I've struggled at times mightily throughout the last four months and social media has been at the heart of it. I shunned FB and Twitland for a while in April/May and I've started again this weekend...maybe I can make it permanent like Cowgirl.

I like social media but yeah, not in 2020. I've lurked here a bit over the last few weeks and I realized I miss this random mix of misfits. :D
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Jul 20 9:06 am

Beauner wrote:
I've been really careful throughout this whole thing, and your posts about how miserable you felt have been another validation of why I continue to be pretty cautious. I also have asthma (low grade, I don't need a daily inhaler or anything, but it flares up anytime I have any sort of respiratory illness), so while I'm pretty confident I wouldn't die from it, I think I'd have a real tough time with it, and be miserable for quite a while.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 198 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Jul 20 9:15 am

davescharf wrote:
Sun Jul 19 10:51 am
Beauner wrote:
Wondering this too
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jul 20 9:51 am

We need more Cowgirl!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 20 12:09 pm

davescharf wrote:
Beauner wrote:
First test was negative. For whatever that is worth. I'm debating whether I want to go get an antibody test to see if that sheds any actual clarity, but even the accuracy on those has been questionable. I went the quickie route (though it took 8 days to get results) and did the self-administered test so there's a pretty good chance I just didn't do it right. Then the second one came back positive which was taken 24 hours later. So who knows.

My doctor told me she'd be shocked if it was anything else, given the symptoms I had and the severity with which they hit, and how some have lingered.

I'm going to try to work out tonight. Will be interesting to see how weak I got.
Last edited by Beauner on Mon Jul 20 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 363 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jul 20 12:14 pm

Beauner wrote:
Mon Jul 20 12:09 pm
davescharf wrote:
Beauner wrote:
First test was negative. Second was positive. For whatever that is worth. I'm debating whether I want to go get an antibody test to see if that sheds any actual clarity, but even the accuracy on those has been questionable.
Very glad you came through it. Hopefully you get a negative test sooner rather than later. I hear some people waiting a month or so through several positive tests. That would be annoying if you already feel better.

I don't think the antibody test will tell you much that you don't already know. That test would be better for people who've been ill and have never been tested, but would like to know if they've had the virus in the past. Or for people who haven't been ill and are praying they've gone through it asymptomatic.

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Mon Jul 20 1:48 pm

Beauner wrote:
davescharf wrote:
Beauner wrote:
First test was negative. For whatever that is worth. I'm debating whether I want to go get an antibody test to see if that sheds any actual clarity, but even the accuracy on those has been questionable. I went the quickie route (though it took 8 days to get results) and did the self-administered test so there's a pretty good chance I just didn't do it right. Then the second one came back positive which was taken 24 hours later. So who knows.

My doctor told me she'd be shocked if it was anything else, given the symptoms I had and the severity with which they hit, and how some have lingered.

I'm going to try to work out tonight. Will be interesting to see how weak I got.
A guy my dad works with got sick, and got two COVID tests, both came back negative. He was about to come back to work, because he was feeling a bit better (but was still slightly symptomatic), the management told him to go and get one more test, and if it came back negative a third time, he could come back in, and sure enough the 3rd one came back positive.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Jul 20 2:15 pm

These stories are kind of freaking be out. All three of us tested negative a week and a half ago, and the wife and the kid seem to be fine now. I'm struggling to shake off whatever it is. Was nearly 100% on Friday, but have been worse when waking up the last three days. Still nothing to the extent of what Beauner went through, though. It is still primarily in my nose and sinuses, but now my digestive system has joined in the fun. No aches or fever.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 20 3:32 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Jul 20 2:15 pm
These stories are kind of freaking be out. All three of us tested negative a week and a half ago, and the wife and the kid seem to be fine now. I'm struggling to shake off whatever it is. Was nearly 100% on Friday, but have been worse when waking up the last three days. Still nothing to the extent of what Beauner went through, though. It is still primarily in my nose and sinuses, but now my digestive system has joined in the fun. No aches or fever.
I was fortunate enough to not have any digestive system symptoms. Maybe partly because my throat was so sore last week that I could barely eat anything solid. The first week I was still largely eating my normal diet (tacos, sandwiches, chicken, etc.) before my throat started acting up.

Saturday and Sunday I ate solid foods and haven't had any issues.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Jul 20 3:33 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Mon Jul 20 1:48 pm
Beauner wrote:
davescharf wrote:
Beauner wrote:

A guy my dad works with got sick, and got two COVID tests, both came back negative. He was about to come back to work, because he was feeling a bit better (but was still slightly symptomatic), the management told him to go and get one more test, and if it came back negative a third time, he could come back in, and sure enough the 3rd one came back positive.
Yeah the accuracy reporting on the tests definitely seems to be an issue. One of my softball teammates has to get tested each week for work. He's tested positive once and negative 8-9 times. But the one time he tested positive he had to stay home until he got three straight negative results.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 23 8:04 am

We really need an "Only in Canada" thread for stories like this

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/22/glory-ho ... -columbia/

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Jul 23 11:27 am

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 23 8:04 am
We really need an "Only in Canada" thread for stories like this

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/22/glory-ho ... -columbia/
My friend in San Francisco would bitch this is “just one more GD thing you hetros have to co-opt” then would list:
Boozy brunch
Ru-Paul Drag Race
now Glory Holes! This is the last straw!
:lol:
-John Wayne

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Jul 23 5:38 pm

Go O'Rangers!

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Jul 24 8:27 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Jul 23 5:38 pm
Go O'Rangers!

When sports were first shut down, a few of us would pick a marble at the beginning of the race and bet on it and then scream and yell at the TV as they went around the track. It go pretty intense..
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jul 24 8:04 pm

We did the St. Paul Gangster tour today with a group of family friends and family, it is fantastic and I would highly recommend it.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Jul 24 8:55 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Jul 24 8:04 pm
We did the St. Paul Gangster tour today with a group of family friends and family, it is fantastic and I would highly recommend it.
Sounds fun. Let me know when your family is available.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Jul 25 6:53 am

It took me a second to figure out this was a joke. Now I cant stop giggling. Apparently I am slap happy.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 25 8:01 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jul 25 6:53 am
It took me a second to figure out this was a joke. Now I cant stop giggling. Apparently I am slap happy.

It took me way longer to figure this out than it should have. I’m blaming my 2 year old’s latest sleep regression that hopefully is on its way out

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Sat Jul 25 8:49 am

5 days without Faceplace or Twitland. I do feel mentally better. I've made it my goal to be more positive and this week I feel better for it. On my Instagram account I've challenged myself to post something that makes me happy for 30 days straight. The list I've compiled is actually longer than that...THAT, makes me happy!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Sat Jul 25 11:16 am

davescharf wrote:
Sat Jul 25 8:01 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Jul 25 6:53 am

It took me way longer to figure this out than it should have. I’m blaming my 2 year old’s latest sleep regression that hopefully is on its way out
What has 9 arms and sucks?.....Def Leppard.

/I actually like Def Leppard.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 26 6:37 pm

Got to play my first softball tournament since getting sick yesterday. Although the weather was unpleasant (sooooooo frickin sticky) and we had a 30ish minute rain delay around 3:30pm, we ended up getting to the championship game. We forced the "if necessary" game (double elimination, we had to win twice to win it) right as the mega storm rolled in. We were down 12 runs in bottom 5 needing to score 3 to stay alive from the mercy rule. We scored 16 to take the lead. It was a blast.

So we ended up splitting the championship (see picture below).

Felt no ill effects during or after (unless you count the usual body soreness that comes with playing 8 games in a day).

Was great to be back playing.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1595737359945.jpg

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Jul 26 8:40 pm

Well done with the tournament and that is one hell of a cloud!!

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Sun Jul 26 10:33 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Jul 26 8:40 pm
Well done with the tournament and that is one hell of a cloud!!
It was super cool but also borderline scary watching that rolling right towards us. It got so freaking dark so fast. Then random flashes of lightning (way off in the distance still) just lit up the sky.

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by MNNavy » Mon Jul 27 6:22 pm

Spent last weekend at Grand View Lodge on a family vacation. Lots of boating, swimming, etc. with the kids and grandkids. After getting unpacked and settled in, I was relaxing in the family room when a flash of movement outside caught my attention. These three spent a solid 15 minutes just browsing around in the woods behind the cabin, and were frequent visitors the whole weekend.

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance. - Thomas Sowell

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Tue Jul 28 9:42 pm

Watching some NHL hockey live
Loserville, USA
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Sun Aug 02 2:17 pm

One of my friends is about 5 days past her due date. She’s eager to get the baby out and it seems like everyone has some sort of remedy to induce labor. Most are hilarious. Today she is trying to eat a whole box of Kraft Mac and Cheese, smothered in A1 steak sauce, followed immediately by two medium sized pickles, and a desert of a tablespoon of peanut butter. Sounds absolutely disgusting. She’s trying it and says it’s gross. I’m finding this to be extremely funny.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Aug 02 2:22 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Sun Aug 02 2:17 pm
One of my friends is about 5 days past her due date. She’s eager to get the baby out and it seems like everyone has some sort of remedy to induce labor. Most are hilarious. Today she is trying to eat a whole box of Kraft Mac and Cheese, smothered in A1 steak sauce, followed immediately by two medium sized pickles, and a desert of a tablespoon of peanut butter. Sounds absolutely disgusting. She’s trying it and says it’s gross. I’m finding this to be extremely funny.
My wife was 10 days late with our daughter. She went into labor hours after her doctor scheduled her to be induced

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Aug 02 2:29 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
I suppose vomiting could be an effective way to induce labor.....

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by melmac » Sun Aug 02 5:50 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Aug 02 2:29 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
That’s... not how it works...

:mrhappy:
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 02 6:16 pm

melmac wrote:
Sun Aug 02 5:50 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:

It seems like it does, with some of the ugly babies I've seen in my time. :wink: Relax, relax, 'twas a joke.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Aug 02 6:40 pm

melmac wrote:
Sun Aug 02 5:50 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Snowcool08 wrote:

Well if eating that doesn’t make you vomit I suppose the colonic spasms will help....?

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Sun Aug 02 6:55 pm

We were told spicy food and sex. Not necessarily in that order.

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Aug 03 8:47 am

Turning my AC off yesterday when I got home from my tournament for the first time in what seems like a month (I think I technically had it off for about 16 hours at some point a couple weeks ago). And I might get to keep it off almost all week. Wooooooo!

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Aug 03 9:36 am

Beauner wrote:
Mon Aug 03 8:47 am
Turning my AC off yesterday when I got home from my tournament for the first time in what seems like a month (I think I technically had it off for about 16 hours at some point a couple weeks ago). And I might get to keep it off almost all week. Wooooooo!
I woke up yesterday thinking it was mid September. It was glorious

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Aug 03 9:39 am

I'd prefer another month of MN summer... 80s > 70s >>> 90s
Loserville, USA

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Aug 03 9:45 am

Not really a simple pleasure but could not think of anywhere else to put this.

Company that owns 7-11 is buying Speedway stores (formerly SuperAmerica). Hoping they bring slurpees back to MN and get Speedway back in shape. IMO Speedway is by far the worst chain of convenience stores in metro area. Kwik Trip is best (but not enough of them). Holiday is next best. Speedway is a VERY distant 3rd.

I know there are some Casey's around but not so much in the metro area (at least my part of the metro area)
GPL's official source of trivia.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Mon Aug 03 10:02 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Aug 03 9:45 am

Company that owns 7-11 is buying Speedway stores (formerly SuperAmerica). Hoping they bring slurpees back to MN and get Speedway back in shape. IMO Speedway is by far the worst chain of convenience stores in metro area. Kwik Trip is best (but not enough of them). Holiday is next best. Speedway is a VERY distant 3rd.

I know there are some Casey's around but not so much in the metro area (at least my part of the metro area)
7-11 - SA - Speedway - 7-11. Sounds about right.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Aug 03 10:04 am

Zwak wrote:

They built a brand new Super America near my house that opened 2 years ago. It was SA for just a few months before it changed to Speedway. Now it looks like it will be changing again. That's some impressive turnover for a place that hasn't even been there 3 years yet.

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Mon Aug 03 10:17 am

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Aug 02 6:55 pm
We were told spicy food and sex. Not necessarily in that order.
We had success with one of those ideas :D

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Aug 03 10:30 am

Hopefully 7-11s in the U.S. will have speedier service than what I'm used to here.

Today was the first day we didn't run the A/C at least partially for roughly the past 90 days. Ugh.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Aug 03 10:48 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Aug 03 10:04 am
Zwak wrote:

They built a brand new Super America near my house that opened 2 years ago. It was SA for just a few months before it changed to Speedway. Now it looks like it will be changing again. That's some impressive turnover for a place that hasn't even been there 3 years yet.
I do think that Holiday has taken a step back since they changed ownership. They're still way better than Speedway but just not as good as the used to be. I wish there were more Kwik Trips around.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Mon Aug 03 12:56 pm

A lot of the SA's here in rural MN have turned into Casey's. Musical chairs.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Aug 03 1:03 pm

The Kwik Trips seems to be all northern suburbs, but really like them. Interested to see how 7-11 has done as I have mainly just been using Holiday at this point, but went to SA all the time before.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Aug 03 6:32 pm

Kwik Trip is the gold standard. As if Super America actually evolved since 1990.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 295 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Aug 03 6:54 pm

After a couple of years of sub par vegetable gardens because of the wet weather, this years is outstanding. The sweet corn is now ready as well. I even have a pumpkin that is turning orange 3 months early.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Aug 03 6:58 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Aug 03 6:54 pm
After a couple of years of sub par vegetable gardens because of the wet weather, this years is outstanding. The sweet corn is now ready as well. I even have a pumpkin that is turning orange 3 months early.
Minnesota Sweet Corn is a simple pleasure in itself. There is nothing like it

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Aug 03 7:43 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Aug 03 6:58 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
:dup:

I gorge myself on sweet corn and am freely and unapologetically a sweet corn snob! I have corn a minimum of twice a week while it’s in season.
Corn fritters are on the docket this weekend, along with Mexican Corn Sauté. My version of elote corn. Delicious!
-John Wayne

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Mon Aug 03 7:51 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Yup. So far we've had asparagus, radishes, peas, green beans, red beets, and tomatoes. On deck is green peppers. My wife has put deer repellent on every other night and this year it's working. Made of rotten eggs.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Aug 03 7:51 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Aug 03 7:43 pm
davescharf wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

I gorge myself on sweet corn and am freely and unapologetically a sweet corn snob! I have corn a minimum of twice a week while it’s in season.
Corn fritters are on the docket this weekend, along with Mexican Corn Sauté. My version of elote corn. Delicious!
Growing up we would have a meal of just sweetcorn - as many ears as you can eat, coated in butter and salt.
Most people have it as an accoutrement to the meal so my husband was shocked that we’d just sit down and mow through ears of corn as the main course!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Aug 03 8:09 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
davescharf wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

We’ve had it back to back days now. Ironically today I tried making Elote for my first time. It was delicious.

My friend's dad was from LeSeur and was a big sweetcorn fan. When I was at their cabin a looong time ago he challenged me to a corn eating contest. I was done after 7 ears and he was laughing at me. I think he might have been a relative of Cowgirl.

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Aug 03 8:36 pm

One sad note; ten years ago I was in a serious Vespa accident. I basically have a mouthful of crowns and implants. I can’t really eat corn off the cob anymore, I have to cut it off. I’ve started to sauté it in a little olive oil and it is delicious. It tastes just like on the cob, but I sometimes miss that messy butter on my chin classic version.
-John Wayne

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Aug 03 9:19 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Aug 03 8:36 pm
One sad note; ten years ago I was in a serious Vespa accident. I basically have a mouthful of crowns and implants. I can’t really eat corn off the cob anymore, I have to cut it off. I’ve started to sauté it in a little olive oil and it is delicious. It tastes just like on the cob, but I sometimes miss that messy butter on my chin classic version.
Why not boil it on the cob and cut it off? The cob and The little white mini kernels (grits?) add so much flavor.

When I package corn for the winter I boil on the cob, cut kernels off, and then scrape the cob with the back of the knife to get the mini kernels. Tastes just like summer in the middle of winter.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 03 9:31 pm

Kwik Trip, then Holiday. Speedway if I have to in a pinch (since there is one rather close to me). However, the gaps between those stores is massive.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Been liked: 147 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Tue Aug 04 12:40 am

I am not sure this is a simple pleasure today, but I coached my 12 year old son for the last time in baseball tonight. It’s time for me to just be Dad. I was blessed to coach him for All Stars this year, even though we didn’t think we would have a season, much less All Stars. Well, we ended up playing Cal Ripken State (as opposed to Little League State) so the kids had to learn leading off, pick offs and play with longer bases. We played 7 games in the 4 weeks before State and we took 2nd place. That was pretty awesome!

Anyhow, it’s been an emotional day, lots of reflection on the people we have met, the changes from year to year and all the craziness that goes into it. I love the game of baseball and I hope my son does too now.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Aug 04 8:49 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Aug 03 7:51 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
davescharf wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:

Growing up we would have a meal of just sweetcorn - as many ears as you can eat, coated in butter and salt.
Most people have it as an accoutrement to the meal so my husband was shocked that we’d just sit down and mow through ears of corn as the main course!
Wait... he grew up close enough that he should have had that feast at least a couple times growing up...
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 06 3:00 pm

I don't get to watch many games from home these days but right now I am switching back and forth between the Twins and Wild!

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Thu Aug 06 4:38 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Aug 06 3:00 pm
I don't get to watch many games from home these days but right now I am switching back and forth between the Twins and Wild!
Sorry for your losses. :lol:

Greyeagle
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Aug 06 6:38 pm

My name Greyeagle and I approve of this message.

Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 06 10:51 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Thu Aug 06 4:38 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Yeah it was so worth the effort. :censored: :chainsaw:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Aug 07 8:31 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Aug 06 10:51 pm
Karlsson wrote:
Thu Aug 06 4:38 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Yeah it was so worth the effort. :censored: :chainsaw:
The Loons made it a trifecta last night too

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 247 times
Been liked: 123 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Fri Aug 07 1:10 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Aug 03 6:32 pm
Kwik Trip is the gold standard. As if Super America actually evolved since 1990.
Within the city limits of Superior, WI (Pop < 30,000) there are seven (7) Kwik Trip gas station/store locations ☝️🤠

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Aug 07 1:22 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Aug 07 1:10 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Aug 03 6:32 pm
Within the city limits of Superior, WI (Pop < 30,000) there are seven (7) Kwik Trip gas station/store locations ☝️🤠
The Mankato/North Mankato area (Pop approx. 52,000) there are eight Kwik Trips here. Currently they are building a new larger one up by the MSU campus to replace the small "style" white Kwik Trip. There are three Casey's here as well.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Fri Aug 07 1:32 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Fri Aug 07 1:10 pm
7 most luxurious buildings in Superior
Loserville, USA