Simple Pleasures...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10773
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bertogliat » Sat May 16 7:00 pm

I got on the sourdough bandwagon recently. After working on a starter for the last week and a half I was finally able to make bread today. While it took longer to rise than expected and didn’t rise quite as much, the flavor and texture was very good.

And even though it was a new starter, the bread had a mild sour taste.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bladepuller » Sun May 17 9:27 am

I bought a used aluminum dock that had a garbage axle system. This "new" piece takes the place of a big HEAVY end section that was all steel & really dangerous due to its weight in moving / installation.
New piece needed new axles & steel was okay for that & I am am a mostly self taught welder. Did a lot of welding when I was a young hand on big industrial concrete jobs but I never needed to be certified for my craft then.
My shielding gas tank was empty on my wire feed (these machines are what 99% of the factory type welding is done with) so I was forced to use a 50 year old "buzz box" that was great then but is touchier and slag hided the bead.
One of the indicator of a good electric stick arc weld is how easy the slag (crust) chips off the bead. My new axle rolled off my stand and in hitting the concrete floor in my shop the slag fell off ( normally you chip it away) & I had some really nice, deep, filled in beads between pipe stub axles and the angle that carries them.
Do what ever you do well. Craftsman ship is it's own reward.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Handyman
Golden
Golden
Posts: 28661
Joined: Mon Apr 14 12:24 am
Location: New Hope, MN
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times
Age: 40

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Handyman » Sun May 17 5:09 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat May 16 7:00 pm
I got on the sourdough bandwagon recently. After working on a starter for the last week and a half I was finally able to make bread today. While it took longer to rise than expected and didn’t rise quite as much, the flavor and texture was very good.

And even though it was a new starter, the bread had a mild sour taste.
I love sourdough...maybe that can be a new project this summer :)
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Sun May 17 5:25 pm

Sourdough rules.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9985
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by davescharf » Mon May 18 9:35 pm

The joy your kids have when they succeed at something.

Our daughter just turned 10 and she's always been scared to try riding a bike. Saturday my wife told her if she tried she'd take her to Caribou because we want her to at least give it a go.

Fast forward to today she was riding around the Zachary Playfield not looking anything like a scared kid. She's got it mostly nailed but the excitement as she talks about it is what makes me smile the most.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7878
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Cowgirl » Mon May 18 9:47 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:35 pm
The joy your kids have when they succeed at something.

Our daughter just turned 10 and she's always been scared to try riding a bike. Saturday my wife told her if she tried she'd take her to Caribou because we want her to at least give it a go.

Fast forward to today she was riding around the Zachary Playfield not looking anything like a scared kid. She's got it mostly nailed but the excitement as she talks about it is what makes me smile the most.
You got your 10 year old some coffee as a reward? :lol:

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9985
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by davescharf » Mon May 18 9:49 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon May 18 9:47 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:35 pm
The joy your kids have when they succeed at something.

Our daughter just turned 10 and she's always been scared to try riding a bike. Saturday my wife told her if she tried she'd take her to Caribou because we want her to at least give it a go.

Fast forward to today she was riding around the Zachary Playfield not looking anything like a scared kid. She's got it mostly nailed but the excitement as she talks about it is what makes me smile the most.
You got your 10 year old some coffee as a reward? :lol:
She only likes the Strawberry Banana Smoothies there. The funnier thing is my toddler (he's not quite 2) wanted to try my wife's coffee a few weeks ago. She obliged so we could get a picture of the face he'd make. He drank it and just said "more" (and signed it to boot).
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Chris83 » Mon May 18 10:05 pm

After way too many days in a row at work, sitting out on the deck with my wife and partaking in the delicious 25 pound pan of lasagna she baked. Wine as well. :dup:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3123
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Kelly Red » Tue May 19 2:09 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:49 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon May 18 9:47 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:35 pm
The joy your kids have when they succeed at something.

Our daughter just turned 10 and she's always been scared to try riding a bike. Saturday my wife told her if she tried she'd take her to Caribou because we want her to at least give it a go.

Fast forward to today she was riding around the Zachary Playfield not looking anything like a scared kid. She's got it mostly nailed but the excitement as she talks about it is what makes me smile the most.
You got your 10 year old some coffee as a reward? :lol:
She only likes the Strawberry Banana Smoothies there. The funnier thing is my toddler (he's not quite 2) wanted to try my wife's coffee a few weeks ago. She obliged so we could get a picture of the face he'd make. He drank it and just said "more" (and signed it to boot).
:lol: I once had some very gingery spicy pork potstickers and my little 2 yr old nephew wanted some. I figured I’d let him try a bite, he’d hate them and I could eat in peace. WRONG! He loved them and basically bogarted my whole order.
And our niece loved coffee when she was about 10. She’d beg to go to get a latte. One cup of coffee isn’t much different then pop so who cares. If coffee/Caribou is a bribe and it works, more power to the parent.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10773
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bertogliat » Tue May 19 3:48 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue May 19 2:09 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:49 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon May 18 9:47 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:35 pm
The joy your kids have when they succeed at something.

Our daughter just turned 10 and she's always been scared to try riding a bike. Saturday my wife told her if she tried she'd take her to Caribou because we want her to at least give it a go.

Fast forward to today she was riding around the Zachary Playfield not looking anything like a scared kid. She's got it mostly nailed but the excitement as she talks about it is what makes me smile the most.
You got your 10 year old some coffee as a reward? :lol:
She only likes the Strawberry Banana Smoothies there. The funnier thing is my toddler (he's not quite 2) wanted to try my wife's coffee a few weeks ago. She obliged so we could get a picture of the face he'd make. He drank it and just said "more" (and signed it to boot).
:lol: I once had some very gingery spicy pork potstickers and my little 2 yr old nephew wanted some. I figured I’d let him try a bite, he’d hate them and I could eat in peace. WRONG! He loved them and basically bogarted my whole order.
And our niece loved coffee when she was about 10. She’d beg to go to get a latte. One cup of coffee isn’t much different then pop so who cares. If coffee/Caribou is a bribe and it works, more power to the parent.
A 6 oz coffee has 2-4 times the caffeine as a 12 oz soda.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3123
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Kelly Red » Tue May 19 5:39 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue May 19 3:48 pm
Kelly Red wrote:
Tue May 19 2:09 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:49 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Mon May 18 9:47 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon May 18 9:35 pm
The joy your kids have when they succeed at something.

Our daughter just turned 10 and she's always been scared to try riding a bike. Saturday my wife told her if she tried she'd take her to Caribou because we want her to at least give it a go.

Fast forward to today she was riding around the Zachary Playfield not looking anything like a scared kid. She's got it mostly nailed but the excitement as she talks about it is what makes me smile the most.
You got your 10 year old some coffee as a reward? :lol:
She only likes the Strawberry Banana Smoothies there. The funnier thing is my toddler (he's not quite 2) wanted to try my wife's coffee a few weeks ago. She obliged so we could get a picture of the face he'd make. He drank it and just said "more" (and signed it to boot).
:lol: I once had some very gingery spicy pork potstickers and my little 2 yr old nephew wanted some. I figured I’d let him try a bite, he’d hate them and I could eat in peace. WRONG! He loved them and basically bogarted my whole order.
And our niece loved coffee when she was about 10. She’d beg to go to get a latte. One cup of coffee isn’t much different then pop so who cares. If coffee/Caribou is a bribe and it works, more power to the parent.
A 6 oz coffee has 2-4 times the caffeine as a 12 oz soda.
I still say who cares? One cup of coffee isn’t going to harm a 10 yr old. I’ll admit though I grew up in a family culture that encouraged coffee (espresso) consumption early. And I was drinking watered down wine at 5-6. My family is French, coffee and wine are “healthy”. I understand most families don’t go that far and I’m pretty lenient. :)
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Tue May 19 9:47 pm

Moderation, as always, is key.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Slap Shot » Wed May 20 2:06 am

Was Mike Hunt next?

Currently under construction.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7878
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 20 9:12 am

I check that twitter site almost every day. He finds some real gems.

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10366
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Zwak » Wed May 20 9:31 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 20 9:12 am
I check that twitter site almost every day. He finds some real gems.
I love his Twitter site too but my one complaint is that he too often retweets comments or reactions to his posts.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by HockeyBum » Wed May 20 12:50 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed May 20 9:31 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 20 9:12 am
I check that twitter site almost every day. He finds some real gems.
I love his Twitter site too but my one complaint is that he too often retweets comments or reactions to his posts.
Yep. I had to Unfollow. The initial stuff is good, but the retweeted reactions were too much clutter for me. He also retweets a lot of political stuff, which I try to avoid.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7878
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 20 9:12 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed May 20 9:31 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Wed May 20 9:12 am
I check that twitter site almost every day. He finds some real gems.
I love his Twitter site too but my one complaint is that he too often retweets comments or reactions to his posts.
Agreed. I don’t follow so I just scroll until a see a different video and check it out.

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5496
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times
Age: 34

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed May 20 10:03 pm

I don’t follow him, but I feel like enough of the people I follow do. If there’s a funny video, I will see it because they retweet it. I followed him for like four hours and it was too much.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Wed May 20 10:10 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed May 20 10:03 pm
I don’t follow him, but I feel like enough of the people I follow do. If there’s a funny video, I will see it because they retweet it. I followed him for like four hours and it was too much.
Secret to the Twitter. If it's funny enough, you'll see it. Just have to wait. If you're not first, who the hell cares? And even IF you're first, who cares? :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3047
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Viking » Thu May 21 7:25 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed May 20 10:10 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed May 20 10:03 pm
I don’t follow him, but I feel like enough of the people I follow do. If there’s a funny video, I will see it because they retweet it. I followed him for like four hours and it was too much.
Secret to the Twitter. If it's funny enough, you'll see it. Just have to wait. If you're not first, who the hell cares? And even IF you're first, who cares? :wink:
The secret to Twitter... don't do it.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9227
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 121 times
Age: 48

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Steve MN » Thu May 21 8:14 am

Viking wrote:
Thu May 21 7:25 am
The Rube wrote:
Wed May 20 10:10 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed May 20 10:03 pm
I don’t follow him, but I feel like enough of the people I follow do. If there’s a funny video, I will see it because they retweet it. I followed him for like four hours and it was too much.
Secret to the Twitter. If it's funny enough, you'll see it. Just have to wait. If you're not first, who the hell cares? And even IF you're first, who cares? :wink:
The secret to Twitter... don't do it.
What is this "Twitter" you speak of? :mrgreen:
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Norm » Thu May 21 9:58 am

Just got a nice haircut from my wife. She went to a beautician school after HS. Coming in handy now.
She only worked in the business for a year. Too much complaining. Old ladies would come in and say "Make me look like Farrah Fawcett."

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3526
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by HockeyBum » Thu May 21 10:57 am

Norm wrote:
Thu May 21 9:58 am
Just got a nice haircut from my wife. She went to a beautician school after HS. Coming in handy now.
She only worked in the business for a year. Too much complaining. Old ladies would come in and say "Make me look like Farrah Fawcett."
My brother-in-law is cutting my hair on Sunday. He cut my son's hair a few weeks ago and did a passable job. I opted to wait, hoping that barbershops would open a few days later. That didn't happen, and even when they do open in a few weeks, I expect it will be hard to get an appointment for a while.

Right now I look like a time traveler from 1976.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19753
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 986 times
Been liked: 668 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Greyeagle » Thu May 21 11:06 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Thu May 21 10:57 am
Right now I look like a time traveler from 1976.
Freebird!!

I just checked the Great Clips app, looks like all stores in WI had a wait time of 150+ minutes.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10366
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Zwak » Thu May 21 11:13 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu May 21 11:06 am
HockeyBum wrote:
Thu May 21 10:57 am
Right now I look like a time traveler from 1976.
Freebird!!

I just checked the Great Clips app, looks like all stores in WI had a wait time of 150+ minutes.
The one in Hudson is walk-in only with 180+ minute wait time. :shock:
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5939
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu May 21 11:48 am

I’m up in the Duluth/Superior area quite a bit. Got an appointment for me & my 91 year old Dad at Trends Salon in Superior for May 30th. Haven’t had my hair cut since March 12th. Looking forward to it 👍

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10773
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 21 12:39 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu May 21 11:48 am
I’m up in the Duluth/Superior area quite a bit. Got an appointment for me & my 91 year old Dad at Trends Salon in Superior for May 30th. Haven’t had my hair cut since March 12th. Looking forward to it 👍
My wife cut my hair last week. I couldn't take it. She did very well. Then I asked her to trim around the ear a little more and she got ...agressive. :lol:

One side looks normal and the other has a bold spot.

But I can't tell you how nice it feels now that the hair is short. I could give a crap about the slip as it'll look fine in another week, and I won't be seen in the meantime.

User avatar
MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7080
Joined: Sat Dec 30 11:24 pm
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 148 times
Age: 41

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu May 21 1:10 pm

I got my hair cut in Fargo yesterday. Today is the first day since this all began that I didn’t have to immediately shower upon waking up to tame that wild beast of a mane.
Last edited by MNGophers29 on Thu May 21 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9985
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by davescharf » Thu May 21 1:13 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 21 12:39 pm
bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu May 21 11:48 am
I’m up in the Duluth/Superior area quite a bit. Got an appointment for me & my 91 year old Dad at Trends Salon in Superior for May 30th. Haven’t had my hair cut since March 12th. Looking forward to it 👍
My wife cut my hair last week. I couldn't take it. She did very well. Then I asked her to trim around the ear a little more and she got ...agressive. :lol:

One side looks normal and the other has a bold spot.

But I can't tell you how nice it feels now that the hair is short. I could give a crap about the slip as it'll look fine in another week, and I won't be seen in the meantime.
They say the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is about one week.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19753
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 986 times
Been liked: 668 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Greyeagle » Thu May 21 1:20 pm

Mrs. GE has been graciously been cutting my mane for the past several weeks and has done a very good job. I keep it short so it's a simple #2 every ten days or so, and she uses the #2 only because we don't have a #1 for our clipper.

My biggest worry now is the inevitable meeting of my eyebrows..... :shock: :lol:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3962
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times
Age: 61

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Composer » Thu May 21 2:55 pm

My wife was The oldest of six growing up. She did haircuts for her four brothers. In college she always cut my hair. She continued cutting after we were married, but about 10 years ago said she didn’t want to do that anymore. Well, she did cut my hair a couple weeks ago. Last week I (gulp!) cut the back of her hair. She did the rest. It all came out pretty decent.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Thu May 21 9:48 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu May 21 8:14 am
Viking wrote:
Thu May 21 7:25 am
The Rube wrote:
Wed May 20 10:10 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Wed May 20 10:03 pm
I don’t follow him, but I feel like enough of the people I follow do. If there’s a funny video, I will see it because they retweet it. I followed him for like four hours and it was too much.
Secret to the Twitter. If it's funny enough, you'll see it. Just have to wait. If you're not first, who the hell cares? And even IF you're first, who cares? :wink:
The secret to Twitter... don't do it.
What is this "Twitter" you speak of? :mrgreen:
Twitter is a place where you pick and choose who you follow very carefully, if they are actual people. It CAN be quite entertaining.
Also, as a person that follows many a brewery on there, you get a lot of news about their products, special releases, etc that are not necessarily on their website.

The key really is, don't take it seriously at all. I personally find it fun to "live-tweet" big events (well, right now, that would be "found" as in past tense) like the Super Bowl, Grammys, etc. During those events, it was like a live performance of MST3K.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Posts: 20379
Joined: Sat Oct 02 8:53 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times
Age: 29

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by gopherguy13 » Thu May 21 10:33 pm

Sitting at the cabin on the deck with a drink listening to two owls hoot back and forth at each other 👍👍
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Thu May 21 10:49 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Thu May 21 10:33 pm
Sitting at the cabin on the deck with a drink listening to two owls hoot back and forth at each other 👍👍
I want to like this infinite times.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 4970
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 38 times
Age: 38

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri May 22 8:55 am


User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9985
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by davescharf » Sat May 23 8:43 am

My son's Daycare is teaching him well. He was in his stroller (he'll be two in a couple weeks) on a walk and starting singing "We Will Rock You". We showed him the video and now he's trying to air guitar to it.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Norm » Sat May 23 3:30 pm

My wife just made a strawberry rhubarb crisp. YUM!

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Chris83 » Sun May 24 12:01 am

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7878
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Cowgirl » Sun May 24 6:54 pm

This is my favorite time of the year. Everything is fresh and green (an acceptable green btw), and all the blooming trees smell so good! Lilacs are my favorite, I just wish they lasted longer. The weather can be perfect and the bugs aren’t super bad yet.
Of course baseball and playoff hockey usually make it even better. ;)

User avatar
Golden FE Ranger
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8524
Joined: Thu Apr 13 1:59 pm
Location: Section 7
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 26 times
Age: 44

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Golden FE Ranger » Mon May 25 8:23 am

Just completed the Murph. It has been something I have wanted to do for the last couple years but we always seem to have something going on.
Thank you to Michael Murphy and all those who have sacrificed for our freedom. The debt can never be repaid.
President GWB said, "And it seems like Minnesota is pretty good at hockey, too."

"I think in the best interest of his career, he definitely would benefit from playing one more year of college," Gretzky said.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7878
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Cowgirl » Mon May 25 9:06 am

Golden FE Ranger wrote:
Mon May 25 8:23 am
Just completed the Murph. It has been something I have wanted to do for the last couple years but we always seem to have something going on.
Thank you to Michael Murphy and all those who have sacrificed for our freedom. The debt can never be repaid.
Congrats! My youngest brother in law and his wife are avid CrossFitters and send us a picture or video every year of them doing the Murph (cause we all know the first rule of cross-fit is to regularly remind everyone you know that you do CrossFit!) kidding aside, I’ve never done a day in my life but as someone who does like to work out I’m still impressed at those who can.

And to echo your sentiments, thank you to all here, and throughout history who have defended our country and our freedom. We should also thank the service men and women, and front line workers who continue to work daily to protect us, and our way of life. So many folks sacrifice so much for others, they are all the true heroes. Thank you!
🇺🇸

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Tue May 26 10:57 pm

NSFW:
Hidden Content...
Image
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5496
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times
Age: 34

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Snowcool08 » Tue May 26 11:01 pm

As funny as that is, it gets the message through much better than the passive aggressive signs.

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Chris83 » Tue May 26 11:50 pm

May I put this in the entrance to my store. Some maskless dipsh*t sneezed a quart of snot right behind my wife tonight.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3691
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 59 times
Age: 35

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by MATT » Wed May 27 1:50 pm

Not sure where else to put this:

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bonin21 » Wed May 27 2:11 pm

There are two different popular streams on the NASA YT channel. What is the difference?
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
MATT
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3691
Joined: Fri Feb 02 10:41 pm
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 59 times
Age: 35

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by MATT » Wed May 27 3:07 pm

The one I linked is specifically for today’s launch, and it looks like the other one is the NASA TV channel that is continuous (“Started streaming on Dec 28, 2018”). I would assume it’s the same content.

User avatar
Composer
Veteran
Posts: 3962
Joined: Mon May 01 8:46 am
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 71 times
Age: 61

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Composer » Wed May 27 3:17 pm

Scrub

User avatar
Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Posts: 15000
Joined: Mon Mar 12 10:16 pm
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bonin21 » Wed May 27 3:21 pm

Can't even get a dang space launch during this pandemic.
Loserville, USA
108 big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9227
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 121 times
Age: 48

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Steve MN » Wed May 27 3:21 pm

Composer wrote:
Wed May 27 3:17 pm
Scrub
Sounds like the weather downrange (in this context offshore straight up the east coast) wasn't good for safe recovery in case of a problem during launch. Will definitely be watching again Saturday / Sunday
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10366
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Zwak » Wed May 27 4:50 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 3:21 pm
Composer wrote:
Wed May 27 3:17 pm
Scrub
Sounds like the weather downrange (in this context offshore straight up the east coast) wasn't good for safe recovery in case of a problem during launch. Will definitely be watching again Saturday / Sunday
@Steve MN You seem very knowledgeable about weather. Just curious, do you have any favorite weather apps?
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9227
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 121 times
Age: 48

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Steve MN » Wed May 27 8:39 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed May 27 4:50 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 3:21 pm
Composer wrote:
Wed May 27 3:17 pm
Scrub
Sounds like the weather downrange (in this context offshore straight up the east coast) wasn't good for safe recovery in case of a problem during launch. Will definitely be watching again Saturday / Sunday
@Steve MN You seem very knowledgeable about weather. Just curious, do you have any favorite weather apps?
To set the stage, I've been a SkyWarn trained spotter for almost 20 years now, and in the past, I've done some storm chasing (very much on an amateur basis) so some of what I use is way more than most people need, or would readily know how to interpret.
For basic day-to-day stuff, I typically use Weather Underground, both the website and app on my phone.
For more detailed, I've got several websites I visit regularly, particularly the Storm Prediction center and National Hurricane Center in the summer months. Also, I've got a fairly specialized app - RadarScope on the phone that gives a lot more detailed radar picture for when I want to dig in to the more complex things, and it includes some hooks into SpotterNetwork postion/condition reporting. Finally, some very specialized radar software on my computers - GR2Analyst. If you've seen the Weather channel's coverage when they do 3-D rendering of tornadoes/storms... same software they use for that, which is definitely overkill for what the vast majority of people need.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Wed May 27 10:12 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 8:39 pm
Zwak wrote:
Wed May 27 4:50 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 3:21 pm
Composer wrote:
Wed May 27 3:17 pm
Scrub
Sounds like the weather downrange (in this context offshore straight up the east coast) wasn't good for safe recovery in case of a problem during launch. Will definitely be watching again Saturday / Sunday
@Steve MN You seem very knowledgeable about weather. Just curious, do you have any favorite weather apps?
To set the stage, I've been a SkyWarn trained spotter for almost 20 years now, and in the past, I've done some storm chasing (very much on an amateur basis) so some of what I use is way more than most people need, or would readily know how to interpret.
For basic day-to-day stuff, I typically use Weather Underground, both the website and app on my phone.
For more detailed, I've got several websites I visit regularly, particularly the Storm Prediction center and National Hurricane Center in the summer months. Also, I've got a fairly specialized app - RadarScope on the phone that gives a lot more detailed radar picture for when I want to dig in to the more complex things, and it includes some hooks into SpotterNetwork postion/condition reporting. Finally, some very specialized radar software on my computers - GR2Analyst. If you've seen the Weather channel's coverage when they do 3-D rendering of tornadoes/storms... same software they use for that, which is definitely overkill for what the vast majority of people need.
Compared to someone like me, who steps outside, and says, "Yep, gonna rain. You can smell it. It's-a comin'." :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10773
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bertogliat » Wed May 27 10:52 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed May 27 10:12 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 8:39 pm
Zwak wrote:
Wed May 27 4:50 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 3:21 pm
Composer wrote:
Wed May 27 3:17 pm
Scrub
Sounds like the weather downrange (in this context offshore straight up the east coast) wasn't good for safe recovery in case of a problem during launch. Will definitely be watching again Saturday / Sunday
@Steve MN You seem very knowledgeable about weather. Just curious, do you have any favorite weather apps?
To set the stage, I've been a SkyWarn trained spotter for almost 20 years now, and in the past, I've done some storm chasing (very much on an amateur basis) so some of what I use is way more than most people need, or would readily know how to interpret.
For basic day-to-day stuff, I typically use Weather Underground, both the website and app on my phone.
For more detailed, I've got several websites I visit regularly, particularly the Storm Prediction center and National Hurricane Center in the summer months. Also, I've got a fairly specialized app - RadarScope on the phone that gives a lot more detailed radar picture for when I want to dig in to the more complex things, and it includes some hooks into SpotterNetwork postion/condition reporting. Finally, some very specialized radar software on my computers - GR2Analyst. If you've seen the Weather channel's coverage when they do 3-D rendering of tornadoes/storms... same software they use for that, which is definitely overkill for what the vast majority of people need.
Compared to someone like me, who steps outside, and says, "Yep, gonna rain. You can smell it. It's-a comin'." :D
Your weather app is a wet finger in the wind? :lol:

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31874
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 264 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by The Rube » Wed May 27 11:02 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed May 27 10:52 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed May 27 10:12 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 8:39 pm
Zwak wrote:
Wed May 27 4:50 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed May 27 3:21 pm
Composer wrote:
Wed May 27 3:17 pm
Scrub
Sounds like the weather downrange (in this context offshore straight up the east coast) wasn't good for safe recovery in case of a problem during launch. Will definitely be watching again Saturday / Sunday
@Steve MN You seem very knowledgeable about weather. Just curious, do you have any favorite weather apps?
To set the stage, I've been a SkyWarn trained spotter for almost 20 years now, and in the past, I've done some storm chasing (very much on an amateur basis) so some of what I use is way more than most people need, or would readily know how to interpret.
For basic day-to-day stuff, I typically use Weather Underground, both the website and app on my phone.
For more detailed, I've got several websites I visit regularly, particularly the Storm Prediction center and National Hurricane Center in the summer months. Also, I've got a fairly specialized app - RadarScope on the phone that gives a lot more detailed radar picture for when I want to dig in to the more complex things, and it includes some hooks into SpotterNetwork postion/condition reporting. Finally, some very specialized radar software on my computers - GR2Analyst. If you've seen the Weather channel's coverage when they do 3-D rendering of tornadoes/storms... same software they use for that, which is definitely overkill for what the vast majority of people need.
Compared to someone like me, who steps outside, and says, "Yep, gonna rain. You can smell it. It's-a comin'." :D
Your weather app is a wet finger in the wind? :lol:
I do check wunderground (more often in the past, when I had the Jeep and needed the hourly forecast, so I knew if I could take the top down or not for a workday, and not worry). Also, if there WAS a major storm rolling in, wanted to know when I could go out on the balcony to see the good stuff roll in.

But honestly? You tend to notice certain things as to how the weather for the rest of the day is gonna be. If clouds in the morning will burn off, or that smell of a good storm coming, etc. Heck, that certain pea-green shade in the skies before a REALLY good storm is coming.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3123
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Kelly Red » Sun May 31 8:45 pm

I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10366
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Zwak » Sun May 31 8:55 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:45 pm
I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
You may already know this but John Sanford is a pseudonym for John Camp who won a Pulitzer Prize while working for the Pioneer Press. I think I read his first 6-7 books and loved them all.

I used to read a lot of serial killer books. Patricia Cornwall was another author whose books I read a lot.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Posts: 16873
Joined: Sat May 14 9:01 pm
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 420 times
Contact:

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Jun 01 12:30 am

We give so much credit to the teachers, administrators, the headmaster, chairman and many fellow parents that allowed the school year for our kids to complete nearly without a hitch. Their progress and ability to learn was mostly unimpeded. They couldn't do: chamber orchestra, team PE activities, some labwork and some art projects (lack of access to materials during the shutdown) but how they managed to make it work otherwise was impressive.

Google classroom was a big part of that. They could still "turn in" virtual homework by either completing it in Word or Excel and submitting it, handwritten on paper that they could scan with their phone and submit electronically, they were able to still do Mandarin as everyone had headphones and mics, both still took music lessons (guitar and piano) as we had the equipment we needed to do it, etc., etc.

They took class every other Saturday since mid-March to help keep their hours up, plus 8:30 - 2:30 Monday - Friday. Their final exams which started last week will be over tomorrow, then they only have a few projects left respectively.

Obviously there was no way to get 100% of the usual experience but I'm very confident the school rigorously and diligently did everything it could to maintain the highest standards possible given the situation.
Currently under construction.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by george » Mon Jun 01 6:20 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:45 pm
I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
It has to be a great book series, the main protagonist was a Gopher Hockey Player! 😉

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9985
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by davescharf » Mon Jun 01 6:48 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:45 pm
I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
I’ve liked most of Sanford’s books I’ve read. I’m through #17;and I’ve also read all the Virgil Flowers series books.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by george » Mon Jun 01 7:56 am

I've read all the Sanford books that have made it to paperback (I read in odd places and find paperbacks easier to handle). Both Prey and Flowers plus the few one-off books. One of the authors whose books I keep too instead of selling back to Half Price Books.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Norm » Mon Jun 01 9:03 am

Sanford's male characters are irresistible to women. I can't relate to them.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5939
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jun 01 10:01 am

davescharf wrote:
Mon Jun 01 6:48 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:45 pm
I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
I’ve liked most of Sanford’s books I’ve read. I’m through #17;and I’ve also read all the Virgil Flowers series books.
The same, I’ve listened on CD or cassette to every Prey (Lucas Davenport) book & every Virgil Flowers book published to date. They’ve provided a lot of enjoyment over the years 👍

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10366
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 01 10:10 am

bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Jun 01 10:01 am
davescharf wrote:
Mon Jun 01 6:48 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:45 pm
I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
I’ve liked most of Sanford’s books I’ve read. I’m through #17;and I’ve also read all the Virgil Flowers series books.
The same, I’ve listened on CD or cassette to every Prey (Lucas Davenport) book & every Virgil Flowers book published to date. They’ve provided a lot of enjoyment over the years 👍
There was a TV movie based on one of Sanford's books a while back. It starred Eriq Lasalle (of ER fame) as Lucas Davenport. It was not good.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 5939
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 250 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by bearpaw28 » Mon Jun 01 10:17 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Jun 01 10:10 am
bearpaw28 wrote:
Mon Jun 01 10:01 am
davescharf wrote:
Mon Jun 01 6:48 am
Kelly Red wrote:
Sun May 31 8:45 pm
I’m hooked on the “Prey” series by John Sandford. Didn’t someone here mention them? The main character is Mpls police detective. I just finished the 10th book, Certain Prey, alternating something fun with something serious. I read Hidden Valley Road, non-fiction and it was traumatic! I needed a FUN serial killer novel to lighten my mind :shock:
I’ve liked most of Sanford’s books I’ve read. I’m through #17;and I’ve also read all the Virgil Flowers series books.
The same, I’ve listened on CD or cassette to every Prey (Lucas Davenport) book & every Virgil Flowers book published to date. They’ve provided a lot of enjoyment over the years 👍
There was a TV movie based on one of Sanford's books a while back. It starred Eriq Lasalle (of ER fame) as Lucas Davenport. It was not good.
They made Certain Prey into a TV movie too, with Mark Harmon playing Lucas Davenport, it was OK, not great.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by george » Mon Jun 01 10:46 am

Norm wrote:
Mon Jun 01 9:03 am
Sanford's male characters are irresistible to women. I can't relate to them.
True, I have the same issue but it's fantasy anyway.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3123
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Jun 01 11:33 am

george wrote:
Mon Jun 01 7:56 am
I've read all the Sanford books that have made it to paperback (I read in odd places and find paperbacks easier to handle). Both Prey and Flowers plus the few one-off books. One of the authors whose books I keep too instead of selling back to Half Price Books.
I have 2 different library apps on my iPad, Cloud Library and Hennepin Co’s Libby. I just download what I want. I’m a very fast reader and it would not be unusual for me to read a book a day while on vacation. In the past that meant extra luggage weight, but now I can load up 6-10 books and it’s a breeze.
I’ve been doing a lot more reading now at home too, or the cabin. The library app is a godsend!

I have the Virgil books in mind, waiting until he’s introduced in the Prey books, which I think is #17. I just finished 10.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10773
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 02 2:45 pm

We've had a Baltimore Oriole (the bird, not a baseball player) visit the house twice in the last week. I hadn't seen one in probably 20-25 years; not since I worked in the parks department during college. Today I started putting out orange halves hoping they continue to stay in the area.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Norm » Tue Jun 02 4:04 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jun 02 2:45 pm
We've had a Baltimore Oriole (the bird, not a baseball player) visit the house twice in the last week. I hadn't seen one in probably 20-25 years; not since I worked in the parks department during college. Today I started putting out orange halves hoping they continue to stay in the area.
They love grape jelly. I had never seen an oriole here in my life. I put out a jar lid with grape jelly in it and within a couple of hours we had orioles.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3407
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 210 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 02 4:19 pm

I've seen them around my house as well. Wondering where the grape jelly is now.

User avatar
george
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5760
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:14 am
Location: Edina
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by george » Tue Jun 02 4:52 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Jun 02 4:04 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jun 02 2:45 pm
We've had a Baltimore Oriole (the bird, not a baseball player) visit the house twice in the last week. I hadn't seen one in probably 20-25 years; not since I worked in the parks department during college. Today I started putting out orange halves hoping they continue to stay in the area.
They love grape jelly. I had never seen an oriole here in my life. I put out a jar lid with grape jelly in it and within a couple of hours we had orioles.
They also like my hummingbird feeders.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7878
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 500 times
Age: 33

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Cowgirl » Tue Jun 02 9:11 pm

My mom sent me this photo today of their bird feeder. Can’t quite tell if this is an oriole or not?
Attachments
515227E2-7C36-4779-9E7A-471C4B508AD1.jpeg

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10773
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times
Age: 45

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jun 02 10:43 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Jun 02 9:11 pm
My mom sent me this photo today of their bird feeder. Can’t quite tell if this is an oriole or not?
No.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3866
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Jun 02 11:20 pm

That is the rare BooBoomore Oriole
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:37 am
Location: Welch, MN
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 104 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by Chris83 » Tue Jun 02 11:43 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue Jun 02 9:11 pm
My mom sent me this photo today of their bird feeder. Can’t quite tell if this is an oriole or not?
Chicago Cub
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Post Reply