Simple Pleasures...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 87 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by sunbone » Tue Nov 12 5:45 pm

Glad to hear your dog is doing better, fightclub. I had to have a couple of eye surgeries for my dog last year and heard a few comments about spending that much money on an older dog. I just blew it off. It’s my money and he needed it done. I want him to have a good quality of life in his senior years. I feel kind of bad for people who use the phrase “just a dog.” They really don’t get it.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by Beauner » Tue Nov 12 10:41 pm

The phrase "It's just a dog" drives me insane. My dog is the only "person" I see every day. She's here when I wake up and here when I go to sleep.
Hell going to the airport when i was flying to Vegas she rode along in the car with me because my grandparents were going to watch her until my dad got off work and took her back to their house for the weekend. Seeing the look on her face when I got out of the car without her damn near broke my heart.
Dad brought her with to pick me up when i landed and she damn near squeezed through the window when she saw me.

I dunno how you can put a "just a dog" label on part of your family.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 167 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by The Rube » Tue Nov 12 11:17 pm

That pet (not limiting it to just dogs) is very much like a child to you. For some, it's the traditional dogs/cats. For others, it might be a pig, a snake, a hamster, whatever. I'm not going all PETA on this, but to say it's "just a (x)" is rather ignorant. Two of my better friends' dogs still remember me when I visit, and it could be years between visits. Those dogs curl up to me at night when I visit, because they remember me, and miss me. One of them, I knew her as a pup that I could hold with one hand.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 341 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 15 1:27 pm

Currently under construction.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Fri Nov 15 2:27 pm

This belongs in a different thread, but there is a very special place in hell for people who mistreat animals (sorry, video of dog going to his adopted home got me mad because of the preceeding why). I love that I am greeted everyday by out pup, regardless of my mood or stress level or how I feel, as though I just saved the world.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Norm » Fri Nov 15 3:00 pm

On the third one (in the car) does the driver ever look at the road?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 15 3:00 pm

JWG wrote:
Fri Nov 15 2:27 pm
This belongs in a different thread, but there is a very special place in hell for people who mistreat animals (sorry, video of dog going to his adopted home got me mad because of the preceeding why). I love that I am greeted everyday by out pup, regardless of my mood or stress level or how I feel, as though I just saved the world.
I never had the fortune of growing up with a dog but obviously encountered them often and always wanted one. We got our Westie 10 years ago this December 9th and have loved every minute. Animal cruelty to me assigns someone a special place in hell and those that rescue abused animals are saints.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Nov 15 3:02 pm

JWG wrote:
I believe there is a special place in hell for ABUSERS. Animals stories are horrible. Kids break my heart. The current story of the old guy pushed down off the bus and dying of a head injury! Those people deserve more then jail. I have no tolerance of people who are cruel or physically hurt others just because they can. They are true scum.
If liars pants did catch on fire, watching the news would be so much more fun!

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 336 times
Been liked: 417 times

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Nov 15 4:36 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Nov 15 3:02 pm
JWG wrote:
I believe there is a special place in hell for ABUSERS. Animals stories are horrible. Kids break my heart. The current story of the old guy pushed down off the bus and dying of a head injury! Those people deserve more then jail. I have no tolerance of people who are cruel or physically hurt others just because they can. They are true scum.
And how about professional athletes acting out during a game....people are going NUTS!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Nov 15 5:47 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Nov 15 3:00 pm
On the third one (in the car) does the driver ever look at the road?
Can't say for sure, but that looks like back seats in a minivan to me.

For the second one, poor thing was spooked, I think... Figured she was really gone and here was this look-alike
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Nov 18 4:00 pm

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Nov 18 6:09 pm

The new South Dakota anti-meth campaign.
May need to be reworked.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 579 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Nov 18 6:11 pm

I bet ND and WI are jealous.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Nov 18 6:49 pm

That can't be real

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Nov 18 6:51 pm

It is very very real.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 317 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 18 6:56 pm

If it is real. A couple of marketing professionals are likely being fired as I type this.

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Maize » Mon Nov 18 7:58 pm

Reminds me of the big "Human Trafficking Happens Here" billboard as you drive into Elk River on Hwy 10.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Nov 18 8:05 pm

Minnesota pulled a fast one on poor SoDak. SD hired a Minnesota firm to produce the ad, and the Mn firm is getting even with South Dakota for trying to steal businesses and having them move to SD :mrgreen:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Nov 18 8:10 pm

Or maybe the real goal was to get people talking about it....in which case they have succeeded.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 292 times

Post by D2D » Mon Nov 18 10:15 pm

Maize wrote:
Mon Nov 18 7:58 pm
Reminds me of the big "Human Trafficking Happens Here" billboard as you drive into Elk River on Hwy 10.
Truth
https://kstp.com/news/man-accused-of-la ... 584/?cat=1
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Nov 19 6:36 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 18 8:10 pm
Or maybe the real goal was to get people talking about it....in which case they have succeeded.
Well hopefully they have a plan for where to go after they get everyone talking about SD on meth.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Nov 20 9:44 am

We have a river otter that has made a home in our backyard pond. I have seen sea otters in Alaska, but I had never seen a river otter in MN until this one moved in. I been watching it catch fish and lay on the ice eating all morning. We've been very lucky considering it is a man made pond surrounded by houses. We also get lots of blue heron and wood ducks in the summer.

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Maize » Wed Nov 20 10:09 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Wed Nov 20 9:44 am
We have a river otter that has made a home in our backyard pond. I have seen sea otters in Alaska, but I had never seen a river otter in MN until this one moved in. I been watching it catch fish and lay on the ice eating all morning. We've been very lucky considering it is a man made pond surrounded by houses. We also get lots of blue heron and wood ducks in the summer.

I used to fish Club West pond in Blaine back before they killed all the fish and there were a couple that lived in there. Whenever one of those little f*** swam by, it was guaranteed to shut down the bite for at least 30 minutes.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Wed Nov 20 10:18 am

Maize wrote:
Wed Nov 20 10:09 am
Bertogliat wrote:

I used to fish Club West pond in Blaine back before they killed all the fish and there were a couple that lived in there. Whenever one of those little f*** swam by, it was guaranteed to shut down the bite for at least 30 minutes.
When a family of them appeared in the chain of ponds that me house is on, they devastated the duck population. Saw no families or young ducks after June that summer. I too thought it was fun to watch them until I saw what they did to the ducks. It's easier for them to catch ducklings than fish.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Nov 20 10:36 am

george wrote:
Wed Nov 20 10:18 am
Maize wrote:
Wed Nov 20 10:09 am
Bertogliat wrote:

When a family of them appeared in the chain of ponds that me house is on, they devastated the duck population. Saw no families or young ducks after June that summer. I too thought it was fun to watch them until I saw what they did to the ducks. It's easier for them to catch ducklings than fish.
Our pond was teaming with geese/ducks until the DNR came and rounded them up. Not a single goose was left behind. The pond was strangely, and suddenly, quiet.

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Wed Nov 20 11:46 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Nov 15 3:02 pm
JWG wrote:
Pushed down? More like 75 year old man sucker punched, head hits pavement, suffers brain injury, then robbed as he lay on the ground unconscious.

Dies one week later. :censored:

http://www.startribune.com/seventy-five-year-old-man-attacked-by-metro-transit-bus-passenger-dies/564821602/

Special place in hell for perp and his peeps.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Nov 21 11:30 am

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Nov 21 12:33 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Nov 21 11:30 am
This has made me laugh over and over. Although the last guy who drops his lunch is extra bummed! But seriously dude, if you fall down the raptor IS going to eat you. And wheelchair guy is a goner for sure :biggrin2:

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Fri Nov 22 3:14 pm

It's officially Twitter official that my little brother is now gainfully employed as the Coordinator of Pitching Development for an MLB team.

Also of note: the Twins recently hired the guy who was the pitching coach at my alma mater when they won the national title (and was then succeeded by my brother when he took a head coaching job).

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Nov 22 3:19 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
I showed this video to my hubby, his comment...

That guy in the dinosaur costume is lucky nobody had a gun. :shock:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Nov 22 4:01 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Nov 22 3:19 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

There is a Canadian show called Just For Laughs that pulls similar stunts but I don't think anything quite this extreme, and I always wondered how.they didn't get shut down from people going ape-#### in reaction.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Nov 22 5:34 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Nov 22 3:19 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

Nah, who needs that when you can just sue for emotional distress.

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Fri Nov 22 6:10 pm

Beauner wrote:
Fri Nov 22 3:14 pm
It's officially Twitter official that my little brother is now gainfully employed as the Coordinator of Pitching Development for an MLB team.

Also of note: the Twins recently hired the guy who was the pitching coach at my alma mater when they won the national title (and was then succeeded by my brother when he took a head coaching job).
That’s really cool. :dup:

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Nov 23 8:54 pm

So this week on sports.....

On Thursday we have 3 NFL games that I have an excuse to watch and no interfering kid’ sports. As if Thanksgiving wasn’t great enough we also get Gophers/Hawks hockey. Friday we get another hockey game against UND.

On Saturday I have tickets to the football game against the BADgers in the biggest game for the Gophers in 50 years.

My kids each have a hockey tournament.

The Vikings have a HUGE game against Seattle Monday.

Then the Wild also have two games over the weekend.

Really incredible 5 days.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Orion » Sat Nov 23 9:31 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Nov 23 8:54 pm
So this week on sports.....

On Thursday we have 3 NFL games that I have an excuse to watch and no interfering kid’ sports. As if Thanksgiving wasn’t great enough we also get Gophers/Hawks hockey. Friday we get another hockey game against UND.

On Saturday I have tickets to the football game against the BADgers in the biggest game for the Gophers in 50 years.

My kids each have a hockey tournament.

The Vikings have a HUGE game against Seattle Monday.

Then the Wild also have two games over the weekend.

Really incredible 5 days.
Better stick up on booze now. It's like firewood. What ever you think you'll need, double it.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Nov 23 9:34 pm

I need a keg and a catheter. And a chauffeur. And Pizza.

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Sun Nov 24 7:03 pm

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 169 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun Nov 24 7:32 pm

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 254 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Nov 25 8:49 am

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Nov 24 7:32 pm
Very cool. I remember a friend's family had a sheepdog (not on a farm, just a pet). Going on a hike in the woods, that poor dog would freak out SO badly if the group split up at all. Wouldn't quite be barking at us, but running back and forth behind the trailing group yipping a little to get us to speed up.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Beauner
Golden
Golden

Post by Beauner » Mon Nov 25 9:45 am

💀💀💀

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Nov 25 10:22 am

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Nov 25 2:14 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Nov 25 10:22 am
I got dizzy just watching!

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Tue Nov 26 10:57 am

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Nov 25 8:49 am
Karlsson wrote:
Sun Nov 24 7:32 pm
Very cool. I remember a friend's family had a sheepdog (not on a farm, just a pet). Going on a hike in the woods, that poor dog would freak out SO badly if the group split up at all. Wouldn't quite be barking at us, but running back and forth behind the trailing group yipping a little to get us to speed up.
This was posted in that thread. :lol:

Kelly Red
Veteran

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Nov 26 11:25 am

5OT, that's one of the coolest and funniest vids I've seen! Thanks for posting it. I love the fireworks at the end.

I will comment... the lit sheep are thinking WTF? The men have WAAAAAY too much time on their hands. And the dogs just do their job with focus.

5 O.T.
Veteran

Post by 5 O.T. » Tue Nov 26 12:39 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Nov 26 11:25 am
5OT, that's one of the coolest and funniest vids I've seen! Thanks for posting it. I love the fireworks at the end.

I will comment... the lit sheep are thinking WTF? The men have WAAAAAY too much time on their hands. And the dogs just do their job with focus.
Funny, creative guys. The Baaa-Studs. :lol: :good2:

Would make a great halftime show at an upcoming Super Bowl.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 292 times

Post by D2D » Tue Nov 26 2:40 pm

Wow, they're really good and all but I bet they can't spin their heads like Goldy. :biggrin2:
D2D - GMH season ticket holder since 1972, and counting

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by Handyman » Thu Nov 28 3:28 pm

GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Nov 28 5:50 pm

This is the first holiday we are having in the new place
Makes it all worth living in a trailer last winter
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Armadillo » Thu Nov 28 6:58 pm

We hosted our first Thanksgiving today. Not a huge crowd, just the three of us and my parents. Brined turkey breast, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, stuffing with a crapton of meat in it, corn spoonbread, and candied carrots. Friggin' amazing, if I say so myself.
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Nov 28 7:40 pm

My future SIL makes THE best garlic mashed. I eat a full plate every year of just mashed before I even consider the other stuff. One of her nieces wanted some, asked me to put some on her plate (she's a tiny lil' thing, mirror image of Cindy Lou from Grinch, not even joking, cute as a button). So I give her a HEAPING mound of 'em. She goes to sit down, and someone asked "Who served you THAT?!" "A man. That guy over there..." The questioner looks over, "Oh. Yeah, that makes sense." :D

Maybe you had to experience the moment, but the whole family laughed at it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Nov 28 7:44 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Nov 28 7:40 pm
My future SIL makes THE best garlic mashed. I eat a full plate every year of just mashed before I even consider the other stuff. One of her nieces wanted some, asked me to put some on her plate (she's a tiny lil' thing, mirror image of Cindy Lou from Grinch, not even joking, cute as a button). So I give her a HEAPING mound of 'em. She goes to sit down, and someone asked "Who served you THAT?!" "A man. That guy over there..." The questioner looks over, "Oh. Yeah, that makes sense." :D

Maybe you had to experience the moment, but the whole family laughed at it.
Happy for U Rube...that the Bills took down the Cowboys on Turkey 🦃 Day👍

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Nov 29 6:22 am

Armadillo wrote:
Thu Nov 28 6:58 pm
We hosted our first Thanksgiving today. Not a huge crowd, just the three of us and my parents. Brined turkey breast, Yukon Gold mashed potatoes, stuffing with a crapton of meat in it, corn spoonbread, and candied carrots. Friggin' amazing, if I say so myself.
I’ve never heard of corn spoon bread.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Nov 29 6:32 am

We’ve been hosting Thanksgiving for a while now but this is the first time I’ve nailed every dish AND the timing. Potatoes were great, the stuffing amazing (it is my specialty), the turkey was tender and juicy (light and dark meats), and the gravy....whoooo boy. Even the cranberry chutney.

We always cook at least double what we need for the meal to make sure everyone gets plenty of leftovers. It makes for a ton of work but we finally have a good system. Timing the 24 lb stuffed bird can be tricky.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Nov 29 7:25 am

Armadillo wrote:
Thu Nov 28 6:58 pm
This more sticks in my craw, but my wife's family has found ways to ruin stuffing. Used to be my favorite part of the meal but now I don't even touch it.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

eHo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by eHo » Fri Nov 29 10:28 am

This is great.

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Fri Nov 29 10:43 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Nov 12 3:09 pm
I am going to apologize in advance for this post, but I need an outlet and I know there are dog people on this site so this place is as good as any for me.

We brought our 9 year old dog home from the vet today, and her blood/protein/liver values are finally in the normal range!!! We can start tapering off medicine.

Around memorial day, our dog got very sick while at the family cabin. We took her to several vets who told us she would get over it in time, just a bug. After not getting better for a few weeks, we asked what we could do and were referred to blue pearl in EP. Off the bat we were looking at $3,000+ in tests on a maybe.

My wife and I recently got out of debt (minus the house), its own simple pleasure, following the Dave Ramsey method. It is the only reason we could even have a conversation about spending $3,000 on our dog. At the same time, it has changed the way I look at money and expenses - everything has a bottom line. Plus before our appointment everyone shared stories with me of specialty vets and saying "its all for naught" - we spent all this money and our pet died shortly afterwards anyway. Stories of spending $7k-$10k and only getting 2 more weeks with the pet. Not one person shared a positive story about specialty vets with us.

Our dog was not in a good place and I also wondered if I was prolonging her suffering. The vet said it could be 3 things, but he felt strongly it was one of 2 - Cancer or IBD/PLE. Thankfully, I guess, we were told it was IBD/PLE and not cancer. He felt like we had a 70% chance to get past this. She became allergic to her food, and most food, and her immune system was attacking her. She she didn't feel good enough to eat, and then when she finally did her food would making her sick and send her immune system into overdrive to attack her digestive system.

After about 6 weeks she wasn't responding to medicine and stopped eating. All the vet recommended, medicated food she would eat for 5-6 days then stop.
The steroid she was on was causing her to lose control of her bladder and bowels, getting her to take the pills was an awful fight, she went from 24 lbs to just over 14 lbs and was too weak to do much of anything. We'd be good for 10 days, then have a set back. Each set back was getting worse and worse, and she'd never get back to the same level she was at before the previous set back. We had a really bad weekend where she was panting uncontrollably and took her to the emergency vet. The vet there gave us morphine and explained that we should probably look at the alternatives...

The drive home, not only was I upset about losing our beloved dog, and trying to explain that to our 2 year old who absolutely adores her - first question in the morning, not good morning dad, its "where's puppy?". But i was upset I let myself spend, over $5,000 at this point, when everyone warned me it would be all for naught. We used all of what we had saved up for a start of a 529 and then some. Extended family had told us we were stupid for spending that - it's just a dog, you can buy a new one for $100. They'd all be able to say "I told you so." They'd tell me the charities that could've feed numerous starving children with that money instead of 1 dog who was dying anyway. It was a horrible car ride.

My wife and I brought her home, and held her with our 2 year old, cried and planned to call and schedule an appointment to put her down. I made grilled chicken, egg whites, and apple placed it on a plate on the floor in front of her and she wouldn't even touch it. Before bed that night, i held my dog close and asked her to show me a sign if she still wanted to fight. I woke up around 2am to her tags clinking against the plate as she ate some of the food, and eating for the first time in almost 3 days. I laid on the floor next to her and petted her while she ate and she licked my face and wagged her tail. Neither of which she had done in a few weeks. Needless to say, we never made that appointment.

Our next check-in with Blue Pearl, the vet admitted we probably only had one more chance to get the medication/food right. Our vet went out of left field and tried a drug that was used to treat something completely different, but he read an article about it being tested to treat this. We gave him our permission to go a different route. All the vet food had lists of 35+ ingredients so we couldn't pin down what was causing the problem. We switched to a food with 9 ingredients and a novel protein, different from what she had been eating her entire life up to that point. She slowly, slowly started to improve. Each check-in her levels were slightly better, but not yet normal.

About a month ago she first wanted to play with toys but was still too weak to run, go up stairs, jump on the couch, etc. She has slowly gained weight, acting more and more normal. These last 2 weeks, she has her full energy back, loves playing with our daughter again, jumping on the couch. Today when we heard her levels were back to normal, and we can start to taper medicine we were elated. I think I was happier coming home from the vet today than when the Gophers beat Penn State on Saturday. Yeah, We've spent close to $7,000 on the dog in the last 6 months and our family will still tell us how stupid we are, but our Dog is back to normal, acting normal, and we hopefully get to be with her for a few more years. I am going to do my best to never think about the money again. She has clearly re-gained her quality of life and both she and my daughter make each other (and us) so happy it was clearly worth it. We had observed her getting better, but it was slow and gradual, never a "hey, I think she might be getting past this" moment, and I think both my wife and I kept seeing this major setback in our heads. Today was that moment. We are out of the woods yet, but we can finally see daylight at the edge of the forest.

I am sorry for the super long post, with probably too much information. There were some dark days with our pet that were really trying for our family, but we always tried to keep our hope but came very close to losing it.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."
I have a dog having similar food issues. What food ended up working for your dog?

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 30 5:40 pm

It took 30 years of life but today made me see clearly. Getting stressed about MN sports is not worth it. The curse of Loserville that I attribute to Gary Anderson's miss is tough to shake.

We'll see if I can stick with it but let's try this for 2020:
-Not watch any regular season Gopher football games until the division title is on the line again should that happen
-No more watching the Twins or Wolves unless they are in a series clinching game or I'm at Target field enjoying the sun and beer. Already don't really watch these two.
-Don't watch the Wild nor Gopher basketball so series clinching games or Sweet 16 or later only
-Ride out this Vikings season and evaluate after

Impossible to give up the love for Gopher hockey. Hey, you all won't have to witness my stress in as many threads. I feel lighter already. Call it a NY resolution.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
107* big four seasons with no finals APPEARANCE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

*Includes 19-20 NBA and 19-20 NHL seasons

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 30 5:43 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Nov 30 5:40 pm
It took 30 years of life but today made me see clearly. Getting stressed about MN sports is not worth it. The curse of Loserville that I attribute to Gary Anderson's miss is tough to shake.

-Not watch any regular season Gopher football games until the division title is on the line again should that happen
-No more watching the Twins or Wolves unless they are in a series clinching game or I'm at Target field enjoying the sun and beer. Already don't really watch these two.
-Don't watch the Wild nor Gopher basketball so series clinching games or Sweet 16 or later only

Impossible to give up the love for Gopher hockey. Hey, you all won't have to witness my stress in as many threads. I feel lighter already. Call it a NY resolution.
Why not watch sports? I, like you, had many stressful years of sports, over-reacted (good and bad) many a time. Then....."wait a second....is it really THAT important?" I'll still rip anyone who pokes the bear after a loss, but overall, let the result sink in, take a breath, and then continue on as normal. :)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

sunbone
Golden
Golden

Post by sunbone » Sat Nov 30 6:20 pm

Bonin21 wrote:

You need counseling and I’m not joking.

gopherfun83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by gopherfun83 » Sat Nov 30 6:22 pm

Bonin21 wrote:

That about sums it up. I would add the 4 Vikings superbowl losses. After begging my dad for tickets to the 76 championship game and watching them beat the Rams and then get beat by John Madden and the Oakland Raiders was a bad day!
Glad you're not giving up on Gopher hockey.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Nov 30 6:24 pm

Bonin21 wrote:

So....just a bandwagoner....
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Nov 30 6:44 pm

Yup other than Gopher hockey just a bandwagoner. And I'd be at any parade just like the rest of em. I can see why so much of the population does that. Not worth it to devote too much time to things that are out of your control.
Sick of LOSERVILLE
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Sat Nov 30 6:52 pm

Well at least you admit it...zero percent chance you aren't around Eeyoring it up. ;)

If sports ruins your life this bad you are way over valuing them. It's just a game dude the world doesn't end cause your team lost.

I mean, if the Gophers make the Outback Bowl or Citrus again and you can't enjoy that just quit it isn't worth it.

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Norm » Sat Nov 30 8:06 pm

Bonin21 wrote:

So today would have been the only Gopher football game you would have seen. Too bad you would have missed the PSU game.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Bigbeer » Sat Nov 30 9:36 pm

Norm wrote:
Sat Nov 30 8:06 pm
Bonin21 wrote:

So today would have been the only Gopher football game you would have seen. Too bad you would have missed the PSU game.
...and the bowl game which, if they play like they did today, may be another loss. Better skip that just in case :mrgreen:
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

mnrouser
Rookie
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mnrouser » Sun Dec 01 12:37 am

Bonin21 wrote:

Bonin- You love Gopher Hockey? Weren't you the one that didn't want to go to the Friday UND game because there were too many UND fans in the building on Thursday. You are such a fraud.

Bonin21
Golden
Golden

Post by Bonin21 » Sun Dec 01 7:36 am

Lmao

Many games as a kid including the Wheeler goal junior year of HS. Student tickets all four years of school, one year off with a 5 game package, then season tickets every year since with most of them in the high donation section. Multiple trips to Duluth, Mankato, and Cloud for away games as well as CO this year and Madison in Jan. FF trip to Philly. Spent way too much on a part of the old scoreboard and an original Mariucci blueprint. If I don't go to the game I watch every single one on TV or order the streaming package needed. I started to apply to uw senior year of HS but couldn't do it cuz I wanted to watch Gopher hockey and could never be a badger. Donated a ton to this site one year because this is the place I can talk about the team I love. I keep spreadsheets of Gopher performance in the NHL, draft picks, and recruits committed.

I'm obsessed with Gopher hockey. I was not the only one sickened by the Whioux takeover.
Sick of LOSERVILLE

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by fightclub30 » Sun Dec 01 10:57 pm

NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Fri Nov 29 10:43 am

I have a dog having similar food issues. What food ended up working for your dog?
Is your dog is having symptoms as described, I highly suggest getting them looked at.

The food our dog is currently on is Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Low-Fat GI - Whitefish flavor. A prescription is required for it from what we have found.

Good luck with your dog!

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Dec 02 9:30 am

Bonin21 wrote:

Maybe it's a coping mechanism after living in Loserville my whole life, or maybe my priorities just changed... but I stopped caring so much about sports around the time my kids were born (about 12 years ago). These days, I actually prefer watching games when I don't have a rooting interest in the outcome.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Dec 02 11:30 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Dec 02 9:30 am
Bonin21 wrote:

Maybe it's a coping mechanism after living in Loserville my whole life, or maybe my priorities just changed... but I stopped caring so much about sports around the time my kids were born (about 12 years ago). These days, I actually prefer watching games when I don't have a rooting interest in the outcome.
Both sound awful. :mrgreen:

My dad was a huge sports fan but never freaked out either way win or lose. He'd slightly bark at the TV now and again, but that was about the extent of it and because of that I think I adopted his ways.

1987, 1991 and 2002 produced huge highs, but I've never gone crazy over any end result or single play even though I love my teams and am passionate about them. I really don't like the current state of Gophers hockey and the loss to Wisconsin last Saturday was a bummer, but I love my wife, have two great kids and there's always another game around the corner to have hope for.

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by JWG » Mon Dec 02 11:57 am

Bowl arguments about why the Gophers will do better than the Outback Bowl when I started the season hoping for the Red Box Bowl.
JWG
[This space for rent]

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Mon Dec 02 12:08 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Dec 02 9:30 am
Bonin21 wrote:

I honestly hate the term "Loserville" because it is just disingenuous and wrong.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

NYC Gopher fan
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 32 times

Post by NYC Gopher fan » Mon Dec 02 6:01 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Sun Dec 01 10:57 pm
NYC Gopher fan wrote:
Fri Nov 29 10:43 am

Is your dog is having symptoms as described, I highly suggest getting them looked at.

The food our dog is currently on is Blue Buffalo Natural Veterinary Diet Low-Fat GI - Whitefish flavor. A prescription is required for it from what we have found.

Good luck with your dog!
Thanks for the reply. Was curious on what food worked. I spent 3k on my dog in August getting tests done. All vet prescribed food didn’t work except one- Ultamino from royal canine. So we are on a treat embargo- nothing but that food and it’s working right now.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 579 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Dec 02 6:25 pm

Dozens of (excellent) post speculating which kick-ass New Year’s Day bowl game the Gophers will get invited to.
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Dec 02 6:58 pm

Hoping the typhoon that is supposed to pass by Wednesday does so Patti and the kids can fly to Bangkok unhindered the next day. If so I will flow on the 20th for a 2 week trip for me.