Simple Pleasures...

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Simple Pleasures...

Post by gopher6 » Fri Jul 19 10:49 am

Power station Fire in Madison WI, city has no power L.O.L

gopher6
Veteran
Been liked: 7 times

Post by gopher6 » Fri Jul 19 10:49 am

Power station Fire in Madison WI, city has no power L.O.L

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 19 12:24 pm

Must be a 2-alarm fire.

But not sure I'd call any fire a simple pleasure.
Currently under construction.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by george » Fri Jul 19 12:35 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Jul 19 12:24 pm
Must be a 2-alarm fire.

A bonfire in the backyard or a campfire in the camp ring, but otherwise yeah, no.

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Fri Jul 19 12:53 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Jul 19 12:24 pm
Must be a 2-alarm fire.

I thought Gator was back for a second. He LOL’d like a madman...

Greyeagle
Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 268 times

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Jul 20 6:24 pm

:lol:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 271 times

Post by Handyman » Sat Jul 20 10:23 pm

Oh man :lol:
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 21 10:09 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 18 11:00 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 18 10:21 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 18 6:34 am
Four days? :shock: God save you all.
We don’t spend all our time in Houghton. We spend Friday and Saturday night farther north at an inn right on the shore of Lake Superior. Awesome food, bonfires, exploring the Keweenaw....just with two dozen friends!

Yes we happened to have first started coming to the area for hockey but fell in love with the UP.

There’s so much more to this trip than Houghton. In fact Diesel and I left Saturday; we took the ferry across from Milwaukee to Muskegon (you should all do that sometime, was worth it!), spent a couple days in Traverse City, and explored the lakeshore around Marquette before we landed in the peninsula.

It’s a different vibe up in this part of the country. People are friendlier, it’s a more relaxed attitude, and there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
I don’t think I’ve mentioned this to you but your trip to Houghton is a lot like the annual fall trip I take you Bayfield over the AppleFest weekend. The big difference is that Bayfield is packed that weekend and there aren’t as many places to go explore in the WI arrowhead.

Couple days in Traverse City? Did your vehicle have enough room for all the Growlers Diesel bought? ;)
What they said about the vibe and such. There was a sweet car show in Copper Harbor, and the cars come into town in one big line before they park on the main drag. Hearing some of those engines.... :shock: Lots of beautiful cars, from the 1920's to current (not a fan of the current ones in a show like this, but *shrug*).

Tremendous food at the inn Cowgirl mentioned. Had some Duck Confit last night that was amazing. Also, there are a couple roads that, well, let's just say it's fun to have the car I have. ;) I think Dillo would say the same about owning the car he has. :D

Finally, last night, because you are in the middle of nowhere, when the skies are clear at night, it's majestic. Saw some sort of satellite/something zip across the sky like crazy. It was really cool.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Jul 21 10:18 pm

If it was the really bright light it was the international space station.
So many stars last night. The couple nights a year we get to see that many! I did see a shooting star too!

Car show was fun - apparently they let everything, and I mean everything in. We are tempted to throw a couple of our cars in some year just for kicks; (don’t see many ‘95 cougars around these days!)

Awesome week, still in Duluth for the night and bummed it’s over tomorrow but my favorite week every year. Already planning next year’s trip!

The UP is definitely a magical place.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 21 10:31 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sun Jul 21 10:18 pm
If it was the really bright light it was the international space station.
So many stars last night. The couple nights a year we get to see that many! I did see a shooting star too!

Car show was fun - apparently they let everything, and I mean everything in. We are tempted to throw a couple of our cars in some year just for kicks; (don’t see many ‘95 cougars around these days!)

Awesome week, still in Duluth for the night and bummed it’s over tomorrow but my favorite week every year. Already planning next year’s trip!

The UP is definitely a magical place.
That's what we thought, I don't think anyone really confirmed, though.

There WAS an '83 (?) Cougar there, that was in REALLY good condition. There was some mid-80s VW something or other, with a sign that said "Every car show needs an ugly car." That got a pass from me. But a 1981 Mitsubishi Gallant? C'mon....and as much as I like the new 'Vettes....naw, they don't really belong there.

I enjoyed the 1969 Opel GT and the 1970's Porsche 914 (which I think is an underrated Porsche).

I'm already looking forward to next year's trip, also.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Thirty-Four
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 61 times

Post by Thirty-Four » Mon Jul 22 1:07 pm

Getting to touch the Stanley Cup and get a picture with it in Stillwater this morning. Thank you, Mitch Reinke.

fightclub30
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Jul 22 7:32 pm

How did I not know this until just now, and by accident.

If I unplug my center channel, the play by play and color commentary is gone, and all I get is ambient crowd noise and sound effects. Wow! I think every sporting event I watch might be this way from now on.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Jupiter » Tue Jul 23 9:06 am

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Jul 22 7:32 pm

If I unplug my center channel, the play by play and color commentary is gone, and all I get is ambient crowd noise and sound effects. Wow! I think every sporting event I watch might be this way from now on.
This will work on the major national networks....(and it is wonderful) But not on something like FSN. They do not broadcast in surround sound, so you cannot turn off Anthony LaPanta during the wild season.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 23 12:57 pm

Borrowed from elsewhere:

The Area 51 Raid - A Chris Hawkey production

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jul 23 2:29 pm

Who is Chris Hawkey?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Tue Jul 23 2:57 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Jul 23 2:29 pm
Who is Chris Hawkey?
:rim:

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Jul 23 8:53 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Tue Jul 23 9:06 am
fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Jul 22 7:32 pm

This will work on the major national networks....(and it is wonderful) But not on something like FSN. They do not broadcast in surround sound, so you cannot turn off Anthony LaPanta during the wild season.
Confirmed it doesn't work on FSN. However I'm on DISH so who knows how much longer I'll be able to watch FSN ... Haha.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jul 24 3:17 pm

It’s great for football & hockey when you just want to hear the sounds of the game and not the announcers going on and on.

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Jul 24 4:28 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jul 24 3:17 pm
It’s great for football & hockey when you just want to hear the sounds of the game and not the announcers going on and on.
Does BTN broadcast in surround for Gopher Football and/or Hockey? I'd LOVE to not have to listen to Beth Mowins...

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jul 24 5:19 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Jul 24 4:28 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Does BTN broadcast in surround for Gopher Football and/or Hockey? I'd LOVE to not have to listen to Beth Mowins...
I do not recall.... let me check with a contact of mine.

EDIT: BTN does not broadcast in surround sound

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Wed Jul 24 6:06 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Wed Jul 24 4:28 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Beth Mowins is on ESPN.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden
Location: Fargo via Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Madison WI, East Grand Forks.
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by MNGophers29 » Sun Jul 28 9:17 pm

So I have gotten into the habit that I don’t do any projects at the lake when the wife and kids are here. So, projects tend to stack up until I can get here for a weekend by myself. My work schedule worked out with a trip to Duluth on Thursday so I was able to drive here and spend an extra day before they arrived. Got a few projects done. Yesterday afternoon I realized that I didn’t have baseball practice on Sunday night for the first time since April so the wife left about noon today and I was able to get a bunch more stuff done and can office from here tomorrow!
"Hard work will beat talent, if talent doesn't work hard"
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Jul 30 8:54 pm

Sunset, bonfire, beer, “Going to California“.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jul 31 8:25 am

:BDTR:

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 01 3:48 pm

A few weeks into the summer we were advised the tuition rate for my sons was being increased $7,500 for this coming school year. They had been receiving partial scholarships the previous 3 years because of their performance academically the first year here, and since then they have between them participated in soccer, swimming, basketball, student council and the chamber orchestra. Neither has ever been in trouble, the oldest boy scored a perfect TOEFL score last year (not very common on the first try even for kids in which English is their first language) while the younger had a near perfect score, and then we recently found out the oldest scored a near perfect PSAT.

My wife chairs the PTA, never misses volunteer time for any event (International Day, Fun Run, Chamber Orchestra joint concerts with a concerto from South Korea and another with a men's Welsh Choir from Australia and others), and I have put in some time coaching the soccer team. We also jointly started up an after school snack pantry with real food (not candy and pop) as 90% of the kids have afters-school activities. I've been to nearly every event they've had despite the fact I work nights - there are some dads I've never seen come to even one.

Needless to say we were pissed but more than anything sad beyond belief. The school has become like a home for us. We'd been here for 4 years and we decided that we'd stay in the PH 3 more years so the kids could graduate here with their friends while getting a very good education. Their school has seen kids in recent years accepted by schools such as UM, Rutgers, PSU, OSU, UMi, PENN, Purdue, Berkeley, UCLA, DePaul, Temple, NYU, Cornell, St. John's, Fordham, Hofstra, Seton Hall, BU, BC, Amherst, etc. Their IB program is exceptional and they have global accreditation so we'd never have to worry about their credentials being questioned. In addition the school does wonderful things for local community in terms of philanthropy, and their admissions department does wonderful work helping kids apply and get accepted internationally.

On top of that the nearest school that could offer anything close academically is in Manila and we did not want to relocate, plus the school is full of "ex-pat" elites whose parents are diplomats, embassy employees, corporate heads, etc. It wouldn't be the same and I feel like it would be a soulless environment. And even though we could have found a way to make up the hike it wouldn't be that easy.

We met with the Chairman last week, advised that we were likely going to need to transfer the kids and that we felt that both the school and the kids were losing out. He was understanding and said he'd personally review the changes, but we weren't hopeful anything would change.

Today we found out that the older boy is receiving the only 100% scholarship the school will offer per year and it will be renewed for his senior year if he maintains his involvement and grades. The younger will receive 5% off each for his involvement with basketball, swimming and chamber, and will receive an additional 5% for academics. This actually reduces the overall tuition we had been paying and was the best news we've had in a very long time. After we heard what they were offering we had a pretty good laugh/cry hug.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 01 9:39 pm

Very nice, man. This also reflects your parenting, I might add.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Aug 02 11:56 am

Saw a comedian with a bit saying he couldn't figure out why so many women on Twitter were part of some movement called, "Pound Me Too" and wanted to know how could he get in on it.

Composer
Veteran
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Composer » Fri Aug 02 2:36 pm

I got Google open before I figured it out! Funny.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Aug 02 5:32 pm

Took the day off and ran a couple errands but not too much. Wife went out with her sister and kids are blissfully playing Xbox.

I am bored. That doesn’t happen often. So I am going to drink and wait for the Twins game.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Aug 02 9:37 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Fri Aug 02 5:32 pm
Took the day off and ran a couple errands but not too much. Wife went out with her sister and kids are blissfully playing Xbox.

I am bored. That doesn’t happen often. So I am going to drink and wait for the Twins game.
Being bored occasionally is good for you. Or at least that's what my mom said :biggrin2:
Gruss von Krampus!! 👹

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Aug 08 8:33 am

Danny Trejo... rescuing kids from overturned cars:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/entertai ... +Recent%29

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 08 9:54 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Aug 08 8:33 am
Danny Trejo... rescuing kids from overturned cars:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/entertai ... +Recent%29
Trejo rules. In more ways than one. If you haven't seen his documentary, I highly recommend it. He's the real f*ing deal.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Bonin21 » Sat Aug 10 12:46 pm

MN to the LLWS. First time since 2010, third time total since 2001.
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by D2D » Sat Aug 10 1:59 pm

Bonin21 wrote:
Sat Aug 10 12:46 pm
MN to the LLWS. First time since 2010, third time total since 2001.
Great comeback! I pretty much gave up on them after they fell behind 5-1 early on.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Sat Aug 10 11:25 pm

I didn’t see the game, but I am a fan of any comeback victory.

My son will most likely be in the Regional next year, I don’t think they have a chance to get to the LLWS, but the Regional will be a great experience!
Doug Woog - 1990

This quote was written on the chalkboard in a lockeroom in the old Ralph Engelstad arena my Squirt team used the day after the Gophers used it and came into the game ranked #1 in the nation and lost 6-1 to a second rate Whioux team.

Overhead on SiouxSports.com - Why does every thread always turn into a "Gopher" thread? Is there a secret infatuation with them?

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 14 10:18 am

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Aug 14 3:07 pm

Daniel Negreanu toying with Phil Hellmuth:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Aug 14 3:31 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 14 3:07 pm

Always love a good Hellmuth tilt. Back in 2008, I was actually in the gallery of the feature table for his complete implosion vs Dragomir.

When Mike Matusow is the voice of reason...

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Aug 14 8:52 pm

Matusow is the voice of reason when he's on his meds (being serious) and Negreanu never met a hand he didn't like. ;) That being said, glad it happened to Hellmuth. Off the table, I've heard he's a great guy, on the table? Biggest Ahole on earth.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Aug 15 5:32 am

Having people say "Go Gophers" to me in South Africa :dup:

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Aug 15 8:01 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Aug 14 8:52 pm
Matusow is the voice of reason when he's on his meds (being serious) and Negreanu never met a hand he didn't like. ;) That being said, glad it happened to Hellmuth. Off the table, I've heard he's a great guy, on the table? Biggest Ahole on earth.
Fair enough on Matusow. He was still known for being a bit rash (but in a more controlled manner if that's not too much of an oxymoron).

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Aug 15 10:09 pm

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Aug 16 9:57 am

'Rex, I'll never see you again.'

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 173 times

Post by Beauner » Sat Aug 17 10:50 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Aug 14 3:07 pm

Negreanu is probably my favorite player of all time. He's so good it's scary. I love watching him just flat out call opponent's hands dead on.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 11:03 pm

There are some stories, not sure if true or not, he'll sit at home games at friends' places, and play their pre-flop folds. And wins. I don't doubt it.
Here is some wild poker,....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 17 11:11 pm

"I'm all in."
"Huh?"

:D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Wed Aug 21 3:02 pm

Shark...cage...DIVING!

-Scooby 2/7/2017

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Wed Aug 21 3:04 pm

Handyman wrote:
Wed Aug 21 3:02 pm
Shark...cage...DIVING!
So today you are imitating.......chum. :dup:

Good luck, don't be lunch.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Thu Aug 22 12:44 am

I did it yesterday...and it was amazing! The pictures and video I got were crazy :)

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity

Post by Jupiter » Thu Aug 22 12:12 pm

So quiet here today....

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu Aug 22 12:37 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Thu Aug 22 12:12 pm
So quiet here today....
Everybody must be at the Fair....

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Aug 22 12:55 pm

I am at the fair and can attest. Everyone is here today. It’s packed.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Thu Aug 22 12:56 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 22 12:55 pm
I am at the fair and can attest. Everyone is here today. It’s packed.
Probably worse tomorrow when I go. :(

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 72 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Thu Aug 22 2:55 pm

We will be there tomorrow too george. Bringing all of the kids, gonna mow people down with the twins stretch limo stroller. Muwahahahaha
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 22 9:37 pm

It's definitely Fair weather. Perfect temps, little to no rain predicted...

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 22 10:00 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 22 9:37 pm
The people watching sucks though on days like today
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 22 10:02 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 22 10:00 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 22 9:37 pm
The people watching sucks though on days like today
When I go, I'm in by 10am, out by 2pm-ish. Those big crowds (and for the Fair, I adjust), are not for me.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Fri Aug 23 8:10 am

Our work group had VIP seats last night for Barenaked Ladies and Hootie. It was my first concert ever. Yeah, you heard that right.

It was a blast and glad it was those bands that were my first.

Yes, the weather is perfect for the fair and I am certain attendance records will be set daily. Mostly I am excited that next week when I am back working, the high is 70 degrees! Beats the 95 temps my first year here..
Doug Woog - 1990

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by HockeyBum » Fri Aug 23 8:25 am

Due to a few circumstances, this will most likely be the first time in 20+ years that I won't go to the Fair. It's a little disappointing that the streak is coming to an and, but the only way I could make it this year is to go on a weekend, and that ain't happening. I can barely tolerate going on less crowded weekdays. No way I'm subjecting myself to the massive weekend crowds.

Handyman
Golden
Golden

Post by Handyman » Fri Aug 23 12:01 pm

Breaking my streak was the best thing ever. The Fair got rather old...

I go when I'm seeing a concert otherwise never. Back in the day I used to spend all day there now I can handle 2-3 hours tops.

-Scooby 2/7/2017

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by Zwak » Fri Aug 23 1:38 pm

30 years ago I would go the fair 4 or 5 times with my high school buddies. Now it's maybe once a year.

Simple pleasure: Yesterday my wife and I went to the fair. We left our house in South St. Paul around 12:30. We drove to the U of M park and ride lot next to TCF bank stadium. The lot was full but a spot opened up and we were able to pull in after about 30 seconds. We then hopped onto the shuttle and headed to the fairgrounds. Total time it took from when we left our house to the time we got on the fairgrounds was less than 1 hour.

I know there were a lot of park & ride issues yesterday but we certainly didn't experience them.
GPL's official source of trivia.

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Aug 23 2:53 pm

I haven't been to the fair in over 17 years.

This year I am going... to see the AXE!!! We have the AXE!!!!!

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by g-manpuck » Fri Aug 23 4:01 pm

In the 13 years I've lived in Minnesota I have yet to make it to the fair. I went to the Iowa State Fair almost every year growing up in Iowa so I don't have an aversion to going to the fair just haven't taken the time. I always enjoyed going to the fair on weekday evenings the most. Parking was usually easier to find and the crowds were smaller overall and the free evening entertainment was tolerable. I would have probably made it to the fair by now but my wife has NO desire to visit it at all.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 99 times

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Aug 23 5:18 pm

The State Fair was my vacation as a youth as I showed cattle at the fair. I would camp out at the all the milk you could drink booth ( I believe it was a quarter back then). I would be there for about a week, and am amazed how I managed to not go broke spending money on food or the midway. Now my wife and I usually go on Labor day as we are in town for a fantasy football draft.

FYI-- A 1st day attendance record was set yesterday.133,326 broke the old record of 122,695 from last year.

george
Golden
Golden

Post by george » Fri Aug 23 6:33 pm

Today we got to the U park and ride just at 10 and got the last space (some jackwagon with a Sconny plate parked rotten and others couldn't get in the spot, I did). We waited 25 minutes for sixth bus to fit on. Just got a home about 6:10.
Last edited by george on Sat Aug 24 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Aug 23 9:27 pm

I always go to the Fair, arrive at around 9:30/10am, stay until about 2ish. Then the crowd really sets in, and I'm outta there. Sunday morns are my favorite, since the church crowd is, well, at church. Helps keep the numbers down.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

00xtremeninja
Veteran
Has liked: 72 times

Post by 00xtremeninja » Fri Aug 23 11:16 pm

Seeing the axe in person was awesome. Thing is huge, cant wait to visit it again next year.

As a parent to small children, I love seeing the excitement they get with things. My boys are 1, so anything that moves is exciting to them, but my 3 year old, it's so cool to see her build her experiences. Food, animals, and our growing tradition of that giant slide. All those moments make it worth going to the fair for me. And the corn and cookies, damn do I look forward to those every year.
PSN: xtremeninja00 (put GPL in title)
"A good friend will bail you out of jail, your best friend will be next to you saying 'that was f**king awesome!'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Aug 28 11:27 pm

Old school baseball. :D

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Aug 29 9:07 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Aug 28 11:27 pm
Old school baseball. :D
Amazing!

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by HockeyBum » Thu Aug 29 9:26 am

I had never seen that video before, so I Googled "Lenny Randle" last night. I guess he was quite the character. Turns out he's the same guy who tried to blow the ball foul on the 3rd base line. He also punched out his manager on the field and got arrested for assault.

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Aug 29 11:14 am

Kent Murphy has some pretty fantastic baseball “instructional” videos on YouTube as well!
Doug Woog - 1990

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Aug 29 4:13 pm

MNGophers29
Golden
Golden

Post by MNGophers29 » Thu Aug 29 6:04 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Aug 29 4:13 pm
I just had this conversation with someone the other day. When I was interviewing all the time, I would always ask "what is your biggest strength?" and the answers sometimes slayed me. Then I would ask for biggest weakness. I would get answers that were usually "I am a perfectionist" or "I am to honest" or my favorite, "I don't have one". I would always reply, "it sounds like it could be self-awareness, but we can work on that". That is one part of this new job I miss is interviewing!
Doug Woog - 1990

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Aug 30 11:55 am

Someone else's impression of PA talking about Popeye's chicken sandwich:
Master mixer of the morning montizzle with a quick hitter on the new Popeyes sandwich that is an absolute embarrassment of riches. Yo soy pablito went all crush mode on that pollos with muy gusto. Said sammie put yours truly, he of the rotund Jermaine Wiggins ilk, in arears for only $4.99 and had him absolutely vibing on it. (There is a PA in pear-shaped.) Mamma jammer was thick as crank of shank and had Vox's dime-sized nipples fully engorged.

In closing, take all your money, place your bet, and keep pushing the button until Vegas runs out of money on this mickey frickin' sandwich immortality.

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by JC65 » Fri Aug 30 12:54 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Aug 30 11:55 am
Someone else's impression of PA talking about Popeye's chicken sandwich:
Master mixer of the morning montizzle with a quick hitter on the new Popeyes sandwich that is an absolute embarrassment of riches. Yo soy pablito went all crush mode on that pollos with muy gusto. Said sammie put yours truly, he of the rotund Jermaine Wiggins ilk, in arears for only $4.99 and had him absolutely vibing on it. (There is a PA in pear-shaped.) Mamma jammer was thick as crank of shank and had Vox's dime-sized nipples fully engorged.

In closing, take all your money, place your bet, and keep pushing the button until Vegas runs out of money on this mickey frickin' sandwich immortality.
Is that Bill McNeal's Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor ad?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8011&p=920299#p920299