WEATHERMANIA

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
h8red
Veteran

WEATHERMANIA

Post by h8red » Sun Mar 25 12:31 pm

I know this topic has been covered under other subject titles now and then, but I figured I'd start one that would lump it all together.

Was anyone else woken up this morning at 5:00 by the tornado sirens?
It's probably because one of the weather ass-clowns thought that the 20 mph gust of wind was going to start funneling. :roll:

What on earth did people ever do before these jackasses like Paul Douglas and Dave Dahl came around?

gerber01
Golden
Golden

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by gerber01 » Sun Mar 25 12:57 pm

h8red wrote:I know this topic has been covered under other subject titles now and then, but I figured I'd start one that would lump it all together.

It's probably because one of the weather ass-clowns thought that the 20 mph gust of wind was going to start funneling. :roll:

What on earth did people ever do before these jackasses like Paul Douglas and Dave Dahl came around?

Wouldn't it be nice to have a job where you could be wrong half of the time and still be paid handsomely? On top of that, they will never admit when their forcasts are wrong, but if they are right...sockets out of shoulder....patting oneself on the back alittle to hard

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sun Mar 25 2:06 pm

I bet being a weatherman is kinda like being a goalie. When the weather changes they get the blame, but not enough credit when they are correct. I bet most of the time weather or related weather stories are a ratings leader, and it's all about the ratings. Here in Whioux Falls we have 1 tv station that has 4 full time weather guys, and will interupt anything for the weather. We have 1 station who plays it down the middle (KSFY) and 1 thats seems it doesn't care. Let's face it, most people talk about the weather during their conversations..How's the weather, etc. I'm sure our Gopher fans who are weathermen will pipe in...

amandajo
Golden
Golden

Post by amandajo » Sun Mar 25 2:14 pm

frozen4champs wrote:I bet being a weatherman is kinda like being a goalie. When the weather changes they get the blame, but not enough credit when they are correct. I bet most of the time weather or related weather stories are a ratings leader, and it's all about the ratings. Here in Whioux Falls we have 1 tv station that has 4 full time weather guys, and will interupt anything for the weather. We have 1 station who plays it down the middle (KSFY) and 1 thats seems it doesn't care. Let's face it, most people talk about the weather during their conversations..How's the weather, etc. I'm sure our Gopher fans who are weathermen will pipe in...

I agree...it is just another job where they can "never get it right". You know, I would rather be over warned about potential threatening weather than underwarned. I have come to learn that it seems no matter what in life....people are never satisfied in many aspects of life. There is always a complainer. I guess if the worse thing in your life is whether or not the weatherman predicted the weather wrong or right....you are living a pretty good life!

uofmpuckhead
Rookie

Post by uofmpuckhead » Sun Mar 25 3:04 pm

h8red writes:

"I know this topic has been covered under other subject titles now and then, but I figured I'd start one that would lump it all together.

It's probably because one of the weather ass-clowns thought that the 20 mph gust of wind was going to start funneling.

What on earth did people ever do before these jackasses like Paul Douglas and Dave Dahl came around?"

Wow.. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I hope you realize that a television Meteorologist has absolutely nothing to do with the sirens going off. They never have and they never will. It is determined by the National Weather Service which is located in Chanhassen. There is a little more to sounding the sirens then just "thinking a 20 mph gust was going to start funneling".. I hope you forgive them if they sound the sirens this afternoon/evening to protect those in the tornado watch currently in effect for part of the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin. At the same time, I hope the weather crawls run by the local television stations don't ruin the NASCAR race for you.

frozen4champs.. yeah.. we try to keep it down the middle.. it's amusing to see how others handle severe weather.

TheColonel
Veteran

Post by TheColonel » Sun Mar 25 3:08 pm

h8red wrote:I know this topic has been covered under other subject titles now and then, but I figured I'd start one that would lump it all together.

I think the NWS knows a little more about favorable severe weather conditions than any "civilian".

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Sun Mar 25 3:12 pm

All I know is that if somehow the storms come and knock out my power, and WCCO has weather instead of the hockey game on my battery powered radio, I think i might kill someone.

uofmpuckhead
Rookie

Post by uofmpuckhead » Sun Mar 25 3:17 pm

Sadly, I can see that happening in the next couple hours.. right now, most of the storms are north of the metro, but they will be popping up in/around the metro shortly. Hopefully they're out of the area by the time the game starts.. and 'CCO doesn't interrupt the game for you guys up there.

Frontroguy
Golden
Golden

Post by Frontroguy » Sun Mar 25 3:58 pm

TheColonel wrote:

I think the NWS knows a little more about favorable severe weather conditions than any "civilian".

With all due respect, I don't think so...

h8red
Veteran

Post by h8red » Sun Mar 25 3:59 pm

uofmpuckhead wrote:h8red writes:

"I know this topic has been covered under other subject titles now and then, but I figured I'd start one that would lump it all together.

It's probably because one of the weather ass-clowns thought that the 20 mph gust of wind was going to start funneling.

What on earth did people ever do before these jackasses like Paul Douglas and Dave Dahl came around?"

Wow.. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. I hope you realize that a television Meteorologist has absolutely nothing to do with the sirens going off. They never have and they never will. It is determined by the National Weather Service which is located in Chanhassen. There is a little more to sounding the sirens then just "thinking a 20 mph gust was going to start funneling".. I hope you forgive them if they sound the sirens this afternoon/evening to protect those in the tornado watch currently in effect for part of the Twin Cities and western Wisconsin. At the same time, I hope the weather crawls run by the local television stations don't ruin the NASCAR race for you.

frozen4champs.. yeah.. we try to keep it down the middle.. it's amusing to see how others handle severe weather.

I'm glad that I was able to amuse you. I am well aware of who is in charge of the sirens. The national weather service can have its own ass-clowns even if they're not on TV. By the way, I have never watched a NASCAR event in my life so before you make assumptions of me and where I get my opinions, shut your damn mouth. I would think the NASCAR fans on this site would like to have a few choice words with you as well.

ilikehockey
Rookie

Post by ilikehockey » Sun Mar 25 4:09 pm

That's it... group hug, everyone.

GDOG
Golden
Golden

Post by GDOG » Sun Mar 25 9:18 pm

ilikehockey wrote:That's it... group hug, everyone.

:hug:

GopherRock
Rookie

Post by GopherRock » Sun Mar 25 11:31 pm

FWIW, we didn't get so much as a drop of rain or a clap of thunder here on campus...

MNman
Rookie

Post by MNman » Mon Mar 26 5:42 am

My bad day: I blow the forecast and irritate 750,000 people.

h8red's bad day: I have to go back and tell him he forgot my kid's toy in the happy meal.

h8red
Veteran

Post by h8red » Mon Mar 26 7:45 am

MNman wrote:My bad day: I blow the forecast and irritate 750,000 people.

h8red's bad day: I have to go back and tell him he forgot my kid's toy in the happy meal.

I think you are missing my point. It was proven AGAIN yesterday afternoon. THERE WAS A TORNADO WARNING AND THE SIRENS FAILED TO GO OFF! EARLIER THAT MORNING THE SIRENS WERE GOING OFF FOR NO REASON. SOMEONE IS SCREWING UP AND IT'S GETTING OLD!

Hey MNman, excuse me for bringing up something irritating that I'm sure many others share the same feelings about. Next time you or uofmpuckhead use GPL to vent your thoughts or share your opinion about something I'll be sure to jump all over you and attempt to make you feel like you're overreacting or you're an idiot.

Gopherguy33
Golden
Golden

Post by Gopherguy33 » Mon Mar 26 8:22 am

Calling someone an ass-clown is over reacting. You are usually looking a 4 different computer projections and picking 1 to forcast with your data. There are few professions where you have so many chances to be wrong.
Everyday you are on tv and or radio giving a best guess as to what you think will happen, knowing it could change in the short time you are preparing to report and people like you want to whine about sirens and ruining your weekend when a system changes direction. How would you feel if you were responsible for a siren system that didn't work correctly and were blamed for the loss of lives and most people that are blaming you had no idea what really happened........Do you think someone is thinking, I will not set the sirens off and see what happens, maybe I will wake everyone in town up because I can? Think about it before you post it.

Off my box.
Don't let your mind wander; it's far too small to be let out on its own.

dxmnkd316- Nico came out like someone banged his mom and was looking for revenge.

streakygopher to DHG-I don't know what's better, the original faux pas or the sham bravado veiled over a piqued ego.

Hammy-Don't underestimate the impact of removing the poison from the system.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Mar 26 8:43 am

I have been actively following weather since I was 7 years old (I'm forty now). I have some observations.

1. They are no better now than they were 33 years ago at predicting weather. The forecasts have become more colorful with advances in radar, but in my opinion they are not any more accurate.

2. People need to realize that weather forecasting is not an exact science. The weatherperson tries to do the best they can given the information they have. Constantly complaining about "...getting paid and being wrong most of the time.." is REALLY old. It's like complaining about the bad wheel on grocery carts.

3. Weatherpeople also need to realize that weather forecasting is not an exact science. I don't care if you were the first to predict something. Take your time and try to get is as close to possible instead of trying to best your competition. If you are going to brag that you were right, you also need to say, "I was wrong, here's what happened." I would have A LOT more respect for you if you did.

4. Please don't try to humor us with seven day and ten day outlooks. I don't put any confidence in a forecast until a day before.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Mar 26 8:52 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:1. They are no better now than they were 33 years ago at predicting weather. The forecasts have become more colorful with advances in radar, but in my opinion they are not any more accurate.

Predicting severe weather with the advancements of radar/nexrad and whatnot HAVE improved by leaps and bounds. The warning times are much higher than they used to be and that has saved a lot of lives in the last 10-20 years compared to the decades before that.

dock
Golden
Golden

Post by dock » Mon Mar 26 8:52 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I have been actively following weather since I was 7 years old (I'm forty now). I have some observations.

1. They are no better now than they were 33 years ago at predicting weather. The forecasts have become more colorful with advances in radar, but in my opinion they are not any more accurate.

2. People need to realize that weather forecasting is not an exact science. The weatherperson tries to do the best they can given the information they have. Constantly complaining about "...getting paid and being wrong most of the time.." is REALLY old. It's like complaining about the bad wheel on grocery carts.

3. Weatherpeople also need to realize that weather forecasting is not an exact science. I don't care if you were the first to predict something. Take your time and try to get is as close to possible instead of trying to best your competition. If you are going to brag that you were right, you also need to say, "I was wrong, here's what happened." I would have A LOT more respect for you if you did.

4. Please don't try to humor us with seven day and ten day outlooks. I don't put any confidence in a forecast until a day before.

Amen. If you want the weather forecast to be accurate, step outside.
Otherwise, it is a crap shoot b/c as you so succinctly put, it is an imperfect science. I do want the warnings to be on the "liberal" side though.

Ben
Golden
Golden

Post by Ben » Mon Mar 26 9:15 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I have been actively following weather since I was 7 years old (I'm forty now). I have some observations.

I pretty much agree with that, too. All I want out of a weatherperson is to know if I'll be able to golf the next day.

Oh, and when I have a bad wheel on a grocery cart, I kick it. They usually work after that. Think it might work on Paul Douglas?
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Mar 26 9:16 am

Jupiter wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:1. They are no better now than they were 33 years ago at predicting weather. The forecasts have become more colorful with advances in radar, but in my opinion they are not any more accurate.

Predicting severe weather with the advancements of radar/nexrad and whatnot HAVE improved by leaps and bounds. The warning times are much higher than they used to be and that has saved a lot of lives in the last 10-20 years compared to the decades before that.

I partially agree with you here Jupe. The advancements in radar allows forecasters to better pinpoint the severe area of storms. I remember the old days were it was just a green screen with white blobs where there were clouds. There was no way of knowing which part of the storm was most severe.

Now they can look at a storm and say things "It looks like the most severe part of the storm is headed towards Cologne" instead of warning all of the cities who are in the path of the entire storm.

But having lived in the St. Paul suburbs most of my life, I still don't feel like I get my warnings any faster. Nor do I feel that forecasts are any better save for the storm warnings for specific cities.

mingust
Veteran

Post by mingust » Mon Mar 26 10:18 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I partially agree with you here Jupe. The advancements in radar allows forecasters to better pinpoint the severe area of storms. I remember the old days were it was just a green screen with white blobs where there were clouds. There was no way of knowing which part of the storm was most severe.

Now they can look at a storm and say things "It looks like the most severe part of the storm is headed towards Cologne" instead of warning all of the cities who are in the path of the entire storm.

But having lived in the St. Paul suburbs most of my life, I still don't feel like I get my warnings any faster. Nor do I feel that forecasts are any better save for the storm warnings for specific cities.

To sum it up, resolution has gotten better, but modelling has not?

To all responding, weather is a reactive science. It's also based on statistics and climate (two topics of hot contention, no pun intended). I was looking in to meteorology and music as majors (before settling on engineering at UofM), and what I heard most is that meteorology is just frustrating. You can predict, but probablistic guess.

I remember back in the late 90s when a HUGE storm pummeled the midwest and the Ohio Valley just as a Hurricane was about to strike the North Carolina area. Two huge low pressure systems combining, one tropical and one land born, was something fairly unique and the forecast was, "Brace for the worst, we don't know what's going to happen." The land born low pushed the Hurricane out to Sea.

It's a reactive science, and if you haven't seen anything like it before, it's awfully difficult to react to. Even if you've seen it before, there's still probablility.

Also, why are people complaining when the weekend (as a whole) was so nice?
Thirty-Four wrote:Dude, I've written "War and Peace" with company ink... I'm horrible.

stan_5150
Veteran

Post by stan_5150 » Mon Mar 26 10:25 am

Not to go off-topic but since I'm an airplane guy I like to get my weather from the MnDot stuff on TpT. My favorite ground school instructor offered us the perfect method to aviod flying into a thunderstorm:

If you can see a thunderstorm it's too close. Complete a 180 to the closest available airport, find ground transportation to the nearest watering hole, have a martini which will require you to stay grounded for the next 12 hours. :mrgreen:
Updated 4/13 StanimalsWorld

mingust
Veteran

Post by mingust » Mon Mar 26 10:40 am

stan_5150 wrote:Not to go off-topic but since I'm an airplane guy I like to get my weather from the MnDot stuff on TpT. My favorite ground school instructor offered us the perfect method to aviod flying into a thunderstorm:

If you can see a thunderstorm it's too close. Complete a 180 to the closest available airport, find ground transportation to the nearest watering hole, have a martini which will require you to stay grounded for the next 12 hours. :mrgreen:

During the summer season, this sounds something similar to "Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time." :mrgreen:
Thirty-Four wrote:Dude, I've written "War and Peace" with company ink... I'm horrible.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Mar 26 10:52 am

mingust wrote:
Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:I partially agree with you here Jupe. The advancements in radar allows forecasters to better pinpoint the severe area of storms. I remember the old days were it was just a green screen with white blobs where there were clouds. There was no way of knowing which part of the storm was most severe.

To sum it up, resolution has gotten better, but modelling has not?

To all responding, weather is a reactive science. It's also based on statistics and climate (two topics of hot contention, no pun intended). I was looking in to meteorology and music as majors (before settling on engineering at UofM), and what I heard most is that meteorology is just frustrating. You can predict, but probablistic guess.

I remember back in the late 90s when a HUGE storm pummeled the midwest and the Ohio Valley just as a Hurricane was about to strike the North Carolina area. Two huge low pressure systems combining, one tropical and one land born, was something fairly unique and the forecast was, "Brace for the worst, we don't know what's going to happen." The land born low pushed the Hurricane out to Sea.

It's a reactive science, and if you haven't seen anything like it before, it's awfully difficult to react to. Even if you've seen it before, there's still probablility.

Also, why are people complaining when the weekend (as a whole) was so nice?

Very nice summary (for musical, meteorlogical engineer) :D

beersong
Veteran

Post by beersong » Mon Mar 26 6:16 pm

It's days like today that I'm glad I live on the 'other' side of the hill. Duluth Airport: 71 degrees. Duluth Harbor: 39 degrees. 8)

20-niner
Golden
Golden

Post by 20-niner » Mon Mar 26 8:32 pm

beersong wrote:It's days like today that I'm glad I live on the 'other' side of the hill. Duluth Airport: 71 degrees. Duluth Harbor: 39 degrees. 8)

There isn't a Duluth TV news broadcast where you don't hear "cooler by the lake" at least once. :D

dxmnkd316

Post by dxmnkd316 » Tue Mar 27 10:27 am

Greg Zwakman Fan wrote:It's like complaining about the bad wheel on grocery carts.

Speaking of which, what is up with that? Why don't they just fix them?!?! IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!!! :chainsaw: :censored:

:roll:

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Dances With Gophers » Tue Mar 27 10:35 am

I used to know this, but now I forgot (and i'm too lazy to Google): How do wxmen come up with the percentages? As in "30% chance of precipitation this afternoon" - I seem to recall that the 30% isn't 'really' 30%? :confused2: :?:

makinbacon
Veteran

Post by makinbacon » Tue Mar 27 10:42 am

Dances With Gophers wrote:I used to know this, but now I forgot (and i'm too lazy to Google): How do wxmen come up with the percentages? As in "30% chance of precipitation this afternoon" - I seem to recall that the 30% isn't 'really' 30%? :confused2: :?:

From what I've been told by a friend who studies atmospheric science, the weather people run models to predict the weather. They enter the initial conditions and then run the model 10 times. If the model outputs rain on 3 of the 10 models run, they report a 30% chance of rain. So, I guess you could say that 30% isn't very accurate since any given model can only give a 1 or 0 output, but it sounds like it's the best they have to work with today.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Mar 27 10:47 am

makinbacon wrote:
Dances With Gophers wrote:I used to know this, but now I forgot (and i'm too lazy to Google): How do wxmen come up with the percentages? As in "30% chance of precipitation this afternoon" - I seem to recall that the 30% isn't 'really' 30%? :confused2: :?:

From what I've been told by a friend who studies atmospheric science, the weather people run models to predict the weather. They enter the initial conditions and then run the model 10 times. If the model outputs rain on 3 of the 10 models run, they report a 30% chance of rain. So, I guess you could say that 30% isn't very accurate since any given model can only give a 1 or 0 output, but it sounds like it's the best they have to work with today.

As far as the TV people go, they are predicting that there is a 30% chance that is going to rain somewhere in their viewing area. For those metro stations, that viewing area is rather large. For example, those in Hastings could have a different rain % than Waconia.

beersong
Veteran

Post by beersong » Tue Apr 03 5:02 pm

beersong wrote:It's days like today that I'm glad I live on the 'other' side of the hill. Duluth Airport: 71 degrees. Duluth Harbor: 39 degrees. 8)

Okay so today is a day I don't like to live on the 'other' side of the hill. We've received about 8" of snow today with another 3-5" expected before it is over. Apparently down by tLake they don't have as much as the Lake is open, warmer than the air and keeping the accumulation down. :evil: :anger:

71 degrees and a week later a foot of snow - gotta love it!

Edit: 11.8" of snow today. A single day record for the month of April in Duluth.

dailyfbo
Golden
Golden

Others getting in on the act

Post by dailyfbo » Wed Apr 04 11:59 am

Not only do we have to hear all the weather hype from the TV meteorologists, but now the sports writers are chiming in. Charlie Walters wrote in his column today about how yesterday's weather would have postponed last night's Twins game had it been played at the new stadium, which will be without a roof. Are we going to have to read about that every time it rains or is cold during a Twins game for the next three seasons?

And then he quotes Twins president Dave St. Peter on the issue. If he and the Twins are concerned about rainouts at the new ballpark, why don't they do something about it? How about prying open Carl's checkbook and paying for a roof themselves? Yeah, good luck on that one.

Dances With Gophers
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Others getting in on the act

Post by Dances With Gophers » Wed Apr 04 12:07 pm

dailyfbo wrote:Not only do we have to hear all the weather hype from the TV meteorologists, but now the sports writers are chiming in. Charlie Walters wrote in his column today about how yesterday's weather would have postponed last night's Twins game had it been played at the new stadium, which will be without a roof. Are we going to have to read about that every time it rains or is cold during a Twins game for the next three seasons?

And then he quotes Twins president Dave St. Peter on the issue. If he and the Twins are concerned about rainouts at the new ballpark, why don't they do something about it? How about prying open Carl's checkbook and paying for a roof themselves? Yeah, good luck on that one.

Memo to Dave St. Peter: They're called 'double-headers'. People love 'em. Quit hemming and hawing and build the d@#m thing already.

Diesel Gopher
Golden
Golden
Location: in my truck either; working, or with the GPL convoy crew

Re: Others getting in on the act

Post by Diesel Gopher » Wed Apr 04 12:56 pm

dailyfbo wrote:Not only do we have to hear all the weather hype from the TV meteorologists, but now the sports writers are chiming in. Charlie Walters wrote in his column today about how yesterday's weather would have postponed last night's Twins game had it been played at the new stadium, which will be without a roof. Are we going to have to read about that every time it rains or is cold during a Twins game for the next three seasons?

Maybe if Shooter paid attention he would know that most outdoor park (at least northern teams) having baseball squads that open at home don't play their second game the next day. They schedule an off day in case the opener gets rained/snowed out. If the Twins were currently playing outdoors, there would have been nothing scheduled on Tues.

Now that I am off my soap box, I will readily admit that it would be a rather brisk game to be at outdoors tonight, don't know if the better half would want to go, but I would. Then again I love winter and cold weather, which makes me half crazy, half idiot, half.... oh nevermind. :D

Matt

jamwall
Golden
Golden

Post by jamwall » Tue Apr 10 12:52 pm

Co-National Champs: 1929
AAU National Champs: 1940
NCAA National Champs: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003...

skiier32
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 2 times

Post by skiier32 » Tue Apr 10 1:08 pm

jamwall wrote:http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1111253.html

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Reading that I am not sure we will get our softball tourney in on Sat. :anger: :anger: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

edlem
Rookie

Your friend is wrong makinbacon

Post by edlem » Tue Apr 10 1:23 pm

The percentages are subjective. What it means...is there is X percent chance that some place in a specific area will receive MEASURABLE precipitation.

We use counties...or portions of counities if they're big...to determine the percentage. It would be logical if the area is huge...the chance for measurable precip will be very high. However, we try to forecast smaller areas.

Your friend may be confused with ensemble forecasting...which has gained popularity over the last few years operationally. With ensembles...various parameters of the model are changed and the output is compared. If there is good agreement in the output...then we have a higher confidence in the forecast.

I also have a few quick comments to other responses I read. I think we are much more accurate than 30+ years ago. I know we understand many processes better(both winter storms and summer storms) and have much better computer models. Some people will never be happy or understand it's an inexact science. If it rains on someone's wedding or golf outing without it forecast...we'll never be right again. However...people in the Siren area are thankful for the job the NWS did with the tornado in 01...or in Oklahoma City with the big outbreaks a few years ago.

Last comment...I hear all the time about "It must be nice to have a job where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still get paid". We are not in an exclusive club...if you want to become a met...do it. You will see how "nice" it is. It's a job...we do our best with every forecast.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Sat May 05 5:58 pm

Major storms rolling through Eastern South Dakota this afternoon. Numerous tornadoes touching down, alot of damage, but no injuries reported so far. Systems moving due north, so No Dak is next.

pjoyn
Veteran

Post by pjoyn » Tue May 22 11:05 am

Experts predict 'active' hurricane season

OK, OK. Here come the Chicken Little forecasters. A few problems I have with this kind of prediction:

A) Last year, they predicted a 'very active' season, in the wake of Rita and Katrina. They were wrong, in that no major storms made US landfall. They blamed this, post-season, on there being an El Nino in the Pacific. Now they say the El Nino is gone, so it should be more active. Didn't they see the El Nino last year?

B) Measure damage by dollars. Of course these storms are getting costlier, population centers are gravitating to the Gulf of Mexico. The more development that happens along the Gulf, the greater the possibility of damage.

C) Death tolls. Katrina did not kill 1500 people. The resulting flood and lack of evacuation and preparation efforts, resulted in more of the deaths. Again, the more people we have living in these hurricane prone areas, the more chance for death. I am sure Kanye West and some others may bash me for this, but I just don't see what happened in New Orleans as being a political problem.

D) As was stated in another tread, the naming of sub-tropical storms allows these 'experts' more wiggle room in the number of storms. I know they have the potential to become hurricanes, but seriously, 40 mph winds is cause for a name? Let's start naming tornadoes then.

Sorry, this is a hot-button issue with me and makes me want to jump off a cliff. :censored: :anger: :censored: :anger: :censored: :anger:
#1 Super Guy!!!

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue May 22 11:29 am

pjoyn wrote:Experts predict 'active' hurricane season

OK, OK. Here come the Chicken Little forecasters. A few problems I have with this kind of prediction:

A) Last year, they predicted a 'very active' season, in the wake of Rita and Katrina. They were wrong, in that no major storms made US landfall. They blamed this, post-season, on there being an El Nino in the Pacific. Now they say the El Nino is gone, so it should be more active. Didn't they see the El Nino last year?

B) Measure damage by dollars. Of course these storms are getting costlier, population centers are gravitating to the Gulf of Mexico. The more development that happens along the Gulf, the greater the possibility of damage.

C) Death tolls. Katrina did not kill 1500 people. The resulting flood and lack of evacuation and preparation efforts, resulted in more of the deaths. Again, the more people we have living in these hurricane prone areas, the more chance for death. I am sure Kanye West and some others may bash me for this, but I just don't see what happened in New Orleans as being a political problem.

D) As was stated in another tread, the naming of sub-tropical storms allows these 'experts' more wiggle room in the number of storms. I know they have the potential to become hurricanes, but seriously, 40 mph winds is cause for a name? Let's start naming tornadoes then.

Sorry, this is a hot-button issue with me and makes me want to jump off a cliff. :censored: :anger: :censored: :anger: :censored: :anger:

I'm with you on this one Pjoyn. I just don't understand the need to predict the potential number of hurricanes. 13 - 17? Who does that help? Does any person/business alter their plans because of this prediction?

Regarding your point about measuring damage by dollars. Not only are areas getting more populated, materials are more expensive too so it will of course cost more to repair. It's kind of like box office takes for movies. Of course they broke the record this year. Tickets are more expensive than last year.

Ben
Golden
Golden

Post by Ben » Tue May 22 11:38 am

Zwak wrote:I'm with you on this one Pjoyn. I just don't understand the need to predict the potential number of hurricanes. 13 - 17? Who does that help? Does any person/business alter their plans because of this prediction?

My uncle. He loves hurricanes. At least as much as anyone who lives in Florida can.

He has a landscaping business in Tampa.
"If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education."
- Murray Warmath

dailyfbo
Golden
Golden

Post by dailyfbo » Tue May 22 1:06 pm

pjoyn wrote:D) As was stated in another tread, the naming of sub-tropical storms allows these 'experts' more wiggle room in the number of storms. I know they have the potential to become hurricanes, but seriously, 40 mph winds is cause for a name? Let's start naming tornadoes then.

You don't even need to go as far as tornadoes. Have you been outside here in the cities in the past couple of hours? Pretty sure we've topped that 40-mph wind speed here today. What say we name it windstorm Adam?

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed May 23 5:38 pm

Heard that the nortern suburbs of the cities really got hit by the storms today. Any damage to report? Hope everyone and your property are ok.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Wed May 23 6:10 pm

frozen4champs wrote:Heard that the nortern suburbs of the cities really got hit by the storms today. Any damage to report? Hope everyone and your property are ok.

I work near 494/55. Tons of trees down, and some side roads were temporarily closed because of fallen trees. We had a tree fall in our lot (actually the outer grassy edge of our lot, thank goodness).

I was loading a semi when the rain hit. The trailer starting shaking a little, so I walk out and walk to the door. There is no window on this door (it's all metal) and I couldn't open it b/c of the wind :shock: . So I go to a window, and see the torrential downpour/etc etc. It was crazy. I guess our front doors were bowing, and some of our employees thought it was gonna break (it didn't).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

pjoyn
Veteran

Post by pjoyn » Wed May 23 6:14 pm

frozen4champs wrote:Heard that the nortern suburbs of the cities really got hit by the storms today. Any damage to report? Hope everyone and your property are ok.

Sub-Tundra Thunderstorm Alicia went through Blaine this afternoon and dumped major amounts of rain and blew our Mother Earth's children(trees to you and I) around pretty good.
#1 Super Guy!!!

Fear the Gopher
Golden
Golden

Post by Fear the Gopher » Thu May 24 8:59 am

pjoyn wrote: I am sure Kanye West and some others may bash me for this, but I just don't see what happened in New Orleans as being a political problem.

"George Bush hates black people"

:giggle:

Best line ever.
"Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud,
after a while you realize the pig likes it."

Corpies: Teaching WPoS how to play BeerDarts since 2006

pjoyn
Veteran

Post by pjoyn » Thu May 24 9:28 am

Fear the Gopher wrote:
pjoyn wrote: I am sure Kanye West and some others may bash me for this, but I just don't see what happened in New Orleans as being a political problem.

"George Bush hates black people"

:giggle:

Best line ever.

Better than that, the look on Mike Myers face as the words came spilling out of Kanye's mouth. :D :shock:
#1 Super Guy!!!

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Severe weather risk for later this week

Post by Zwak » Mon Jun 04 1:28 pm

Take this for what it's worth.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1224439.html

BTW - anybody still soggy out there? S. St. Paul got quite a bit of rain. What's interesting is that we are really not that far from the airport but the airport measure .21 inches of rain on Saturday and we got 1.3 in S. St. Paul. Quite a difference for not that far of a distance.

skiier32
Golden
Golden

Re: Severe weather risk for later this week

Post by skiier32 » Mon Jun 04 2:49 pm

Zwak wrote:Take this for what it's worth.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1224439.html

BTW - anybody still soggy out there? S. St. Paul got quite a bit of rain. What's interesting is that we are really not that far from the airport but the airport measure .21 inches of rain on Saturday and we got 1.3 in S. St. Paul. Quite a difference for not that far of a distance.

Look for this event to be named Severe Thunder Storm Cathy. :roll:

pjoyn
Veteran

Post by pjoyn » Mon Jun 04 2:54 pm

Was anyone watching the Yankess-Red Sox game on Saturday? Fox 9 did the split-screen for the weather and the game and it was more annoying than them breaking into the broadcast entirely. I have a 57-inch tv and it was hard for me to discern where the weather was taking place. On top of that, I went to St. Cloud, so I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. :wink: :(
#1 Super Guy!!!

Cardinal
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Cardinal » Mon Jun 04 2:59 pm

pjoyn wrote:Was anyone watching the Yankess-Red Sox game on Saturday? Fox 9 did the split-screen for the weather and the game and it was more annoying than them breaking into the broadcast entirely. I have a 57-inch tv and it was hard for me to discern where the weather was taking place. On top of that, I went to St. Cloud, so I can only concentrate on one thing at a time. :wink: :(

I'll give them credit for at least being up front and trying not to cut into the game, but yeah, it was pretty bad.

Also, does anyone know why can't they show things in HD while having the weather warning crawl on the bottom of the screen?

jamwall
Golden
Golden

Post by jamwall » Mon Jun 04 3:26 pm

until somewhat recently the weather guy will always break into regular TV show coverage with severe weather bulletins....unless there was a commercial running.

regular TV shows would always get
A: interrupted entirely
B: flanked by these annoying weather radars and scrolling "take cover or you're going to die" warning text.

but if it was a commercial...well, then there would be NO interruption or annoying scrolling text/radar maps, etc.

so these weather people "care" about your personal safety, except when there are commercials running. if there's a tornado ripping through my neighborhood, i don't need to know about a special applebee's limited offer!

:censored: :censored: :censored:

now! they minimize the commercials and toss in the weather warning "you're gonna die" info. but never do they seem to interrupt the :censored: commercials.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Jun 04 3:46 pm

jamwall wrote:now! they minimize the commercials and toss in the weather warning "you're gonna die" info. but never do they seem to interrupt the :censored: commercials.

In my uneducated opinion, I would imagine it may be in the contracts they have with the sponsors - heaven forbid you cut a commercial a few seconds short. It's sad, but advertising seems to have taken over everything. Can you imagine a world with no billboards along the roads, no ads in stadiums and arenas, no commercials in TV shows, no pop-ups on the computer....I understand they provide the needed money to make these things possible, but seriously.
How long until we have toilet paper that has a different ad on every sheet.... :roll:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 04 4:14 pm

All I know is that it's Softball Monday, so of course it's starting to cloud up about an hour or two before gametime, with a chance for rain.

Every game day this happens, for the past 2-3 years. :evil: :chainsaw:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Superstar
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Superstar » Mon Jun 04 4:18 pm

The Rube wrote:All I know is that it's Softball Monday, so of course it's starting to cloud up about an hour or two before gametime, with a chance for rain.

I hear ya on that one!!! I think we had a rainbow at our first 3 games...and it rained the other games. I wish it would start raining earlier, though, so the games would just get called instead of actually going to them and playing in the rain. :(

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 04 4:19 pm

Superstar wrote:
The Rube wrote:All I know is that it's Softball Monday, so of course it's starting to cloud up about an hour or two before gametime, with a chance for rain.

I hear ya on that one!!! I think we had a rainbow at our first 3 games...and it rained the other games. I wish it would start raining earlier, though, so the games would just get called instead of actually going to them and playing in the rain. :(

I don't mind playing in the rain, but it's one thing to have a game cancelled in advance, and another thing to get geared up/drink an energy drink/play 2 innings/get game called. :(

TheRube33 on UnTappd

uofmpuckhead
Rookie

Post by uofmpuckhead » Mon Jun 04 9:03 pm

Cowgirl.. you're right. We can break in during programming and national advertising, but not during local ad blocks. Due to contracts drawn up between the advertiser and any station, you have to air the number of ads within the contract or have quite a mess on your hands when you get backlogged..

As far as I know, the ability to run to a crawl along with HD programming is something that can't be done since most weather systems who provide crawl generators (WSI/etc) can't support the format. It would literally cost around $50K to upgrade any system.

skiier32
Golden
Golden

Post by skiier32 » Tue Jun 05 9:06 am

uofmpuckhead wrote:As far as I know, the ability to run to a crawl along with HD programming is something that can't be done since most weather systems who provide crawl generators (WSI/etc) can't support the format. It would literally cost around $50K to upgrade any system.

That's pocket change for most station owners! Just get it done.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Death Storm coming today

Post by Zwak » Thu Jun 07 8:22 am

I hope nobody has any 3 hour boat tours planned for the day. If so you may want to bring a professor with and enough clothes to last several months.

gr81
Rookie

Post by gr81 » Thu Jun 07 8:29 am

Yeah - go to Weather-dot-com right now and you'll see a graphic showing a huge swath of severe weather red spanning the panhandle of Texas into Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Apparently everyone in these areas is doomed :roll:

PrideOnIce
Golden
Golden
Location: Obamanation:Socialist St of Marx, Lenin, Hitler, FDR, Wilson, Franken, Wellstone and Social Justice.

Post by PrideOnIce » Thu Jun 07 3:15 pm

Is anyone aware that it is windy outside? Weather people are sooo dramatic.
"My goal was to remind people that Americans talking about socialism in the 21st century was a luxury paid for by the successes of capitalism in the 20th. And that while inequality is a huge problem, the best way to increase everyone’s share of pie is to make the pie bigger, not to dismantle the bakery." - Garry Kasparov
Friedrich August von Hayek, 1899-1992 Milton Friedman 1912-2006
02/06/1911-06/05/2004

pjoyn
Veteran

Post by pjoyn » Thu Jun 07 3:47 pm

My sister-in-law is flying up from Florida today. Looks like the pilot had to make a HUGE detour to get around the storm. Poor kid is going to be about 1.5 hours late. :cry:

[img]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j48/pjoyn2000/flight_track_map.gif[/img]
#1 Super Guy!!!

shelajk13
Golden
Golden

Post by shelajk13 » Thu Jun 07 4:13 pm

Sorry to your sister in law Pjoyn. I flew from Richmond VA to Charlotte NC in April and wow what a flight! It was storming and the turbulence was nauseating. By far the worst flight I've ever been on. :yikes:
C=crafty E=entertaining P=physical I-intelligent S=solid.......CEPIS!!!

Fire Helmet Guy #26
Golden
Golden

Post by Fire Helmet Guy #26 » Thu Jun 07 4:41 pm

When the HELL is some of this fun weather gonna get to our neck of the woods. Damn meteorologists get our damn hopes up and then NOTHING!!! JERKS! :evil:

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jun 07 5:04 pm

Is it safe to come out of my basement? :roll:

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

oldgopherfan
Rookie

Post by oldgopherfan » Thu Jun 07 8:37 pm

I got hit by at least a dozen raindrops at my son's baseball game this evening.

jamwall
Golden
Golden

Post by jamwall » Thu Jun 07 8:56 pm

the storm died of a "low dew point" overdose.

it was found passed out on a toilet in western minnesota.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 07 9:33 pm

PrideOnIce wrote:Is anyone aware that it is windy outside? Weather people are sooo dramatic.

Man, I saw trees actually sway! It was terrifying. I hid in the fridge. It's confined, and I have booze there. So I'll be safe. If I'm not safe, at least I might be drunk. :drunk:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

OldBlueLiner
Rookie

Post by OldBlueLiner » Thu Jun 07 9:37 pm

The Rube wrote:
PrideOnIce wrote:Is anyone aware that it is windy outside? Weather people are sooo dramatic.

Man, I saw trees actually sway! It was terrifying. I hid in the fridge. It's confined, and I have booze there. So I'll be safe. If I'm not safe, at least I might be drunk. :drunk:

OK, that one got me laughing... :lol: :giggle:
waiting patiently for #6...

faribogopherguy
Veteran

Post by faribogopherguy » Thu Jun 07 9:52 pm

The wind has me scared enough. Only reason being is that my roof is in the process of being shingled. I think we got everything secured up there though. Let's hope so.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 07 11:11 pm

Ok, I don't want to alarm anyone, but something has happened to the sun. It has disappeared. There is no natural light outside right now. Stay tuned, and after I take a short break, I'll advise you where to take shelter. To repeat, the sun has disappeared, and there is NO natural light outside right now.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

mingust
Veteran

Post by mingust » Thu Jun 07 11:17 pm

The Rube wrote:Ok, I don't want to alarm anyone, but something has happened to the sun. It has disappeared. There is no natural light outside right now. Stay tuned, and after I take a short break, I'll advise you where to take shelter. To repeat, the sun has disappeared, and there is NO natural light outside right now.

This problem may be wider reaching than initially thought. It appears that the entire US is without sun. The sun outage was reported to begin in eastern Maine and continued west. Hawaii was the last bastion sun before the full outage was in effect. This is early in the game, but we certainly can't rule out the possibility of helioterrorism as the culprit. When asked for comment, the lilacs and juniper bushes were speechless.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 07 11:31 pm

mingust wrote:
The Rube wrote:Ok, I don't want to alarm anyone, but something has happened to the sun. It has disappeared. There is no natural light outside right now. Stay tuned, and after I take a short break, I'll advise you where to take shelter. To repeat, the sun has disappeared, and there is NO natural light outside right now.

This problem may be wider reaching than initially thought. It appears that the entire US is without sun. The sun outage was reported to begin in eastern Maine and continued west. Hawaii was the last bastion sun before the full outage was in effect. This is early in the game, but we certainly can't rule out the possibility of helioterrorism as the culprit. When asked for comment, the lilacs and juniper bushes were speechless.

I just received word from my friend, who's on location in California. I asked him what it was like there, and he stated (and I quote), "Yup. It's dark out."

Chilling.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

jamwall
Golden
Golden

Post by jamwall » Thu Jun 07 11:37 pm

dammit! i knew enron was secretly still and business and buying and selling the sun's rays like its a commodity. this time they've gone too far!!!

forcing countries around the world to pay extra $$$ for those sun rays. or worse yet, shutting off the sun ENTIRELY!!! thus raising the price of sun!

my sun bill is gonna go up dramatically! :anger: