WEATHERMANIA

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Jul 21 7:59 am

This AM the air is clear around ML
All day yesterday it was very "foggy".
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
JC65
Golden
Golden
Posts: 1687
Joined: Sun Apr 08 7:50 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by JC65 » Wed Jul 21 10:30 am

https://fire.airnow.gov/ shows smoke plumes. Layers and layers of smoke plumes.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 22 11:18 am

With no substantial rain in the forecast for the next 10 days, and 90 degree heat ahead of us, the extreme part of the chart will expand.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 22 12:22 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jul 22 11:18 am
With no substantial rain in the forecast for the next 10 days, and 90 degree heat ahead of us, the extreme part of the chart will expand.
Not disputing that it's dry, but the drought monitor is a joke.
I drive up 71. From Olivia to New London Spicer there's green grass and green fields, yet they're severe.
Same with the stretch along I90 from Blue Earth to Albert Lea. Looks like a freaking garden.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Jul 22 2:32 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Jul 22 12:22 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Jul 22 11:18 am
With no substantial rain in the forecast for the next 10 days, and 90 degree heat ahead of us, the extreme part of the chart will expand.
Not disputing that it's dry, but the drought monitor is a joke.
I drive up 71. From Olivia to New London Spicer there's green grass and green fields, yet they're severe.
Same with the stretch along I90 from Blue Earth to Albert Lea. Looks like a freaking garden.
LOL, I think I hit a nerve :wink: . Not a perfect map for sure as pockets of rain have hit certain areas in the same county. I can see the difference for me as my home farm is black dirt and the other farm that is about 12 miles away is mostly sandy and light soil. About the same amount of rain, but the sandy soil farm is burning up much faster.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Jul 23 6:40 am

While there will three categories – destructive, considerable and baseline – only storms that are classified as "destructive" will trigger a mobile notification.
The three categories are described as:
Destructive damage threat: At least 2.75 inch diameter (baseball-sized) hail and/or 80 mph thunderstorm winds. Warnings with this tag will automatically activate a Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) on smartphones within the warned area.
Considerable damage threat: At least 1.75 inch diameter (golf ball-sized) hail and/or 70 mph thunderstorm winds. This will not activate a WEA.
Baseline or "base" damage threat: 1.00 inch (quarter-sized) hail and/or 58 mph thunderstorm winds. This will not activate a WEA. When no damage threat tag is present, damage is expected to be at the base level.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Fri Jul 23 7:53 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Jul 23 6:40 am
While there will three categories – destructive, considerable and baseline – only storms that are classified as "destructive" will trigger a mobile notification.
The three categories are described as:
Destructive damage threat: At least 2.75 inch diameter (baseball-sized) hail and/or 80 mph thunderstorm winds. Warnings with this tag will automatically activate a Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) on smartphones within the warned area.
Considerable damage threat: At least 1.75 inch diameter (golf ball-sized) hail and/or 70 mph thunderstorm winds. This will not activate a WEA.
Baseline or "base" damage threat: 1.00 inch (quarter-sized) hail and/or 58 mph thunderstorm winds. This will not activate a WEA. When no damage threat tag is present, damage is expected to be at the base level.
I wonder how they define "area". Is it by county? We live in Dakota County which is relatively large metro county. I used to get weather alerts on my weather but turned them off as too many of them were for the southern cities like Burnsville, Lakeville, Rosemount, etc.

p.s. I would have thought Dakota County was one of the larger counties in MN. I was WAY wrong. It is the 58th largest county in Minnesota. #cityboy

http://www.usa.com/rank/minnesota-state--land-area--county-rank.htm
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jul 27 5:54 am

When the overnight forecast went from 0.3” to 1.1” I thought we had a night of rain ahead of us.

Not a drop.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Tue Jul 27 7:00 am

I found rain. 900 miles from MN in Nashville. Our plane landed in a storm, and then sat on the tarmac for an hour before they allowed us to deplane because of all the lightning. The funny thing is, the storm popped up over the airport and didn't move. The area around the airport got 4 inches from that storm.

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Jul 27 8:07 am

Lots of thunder & lightning north of the south end of ML last night around 0330 but very little rain.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Wed Jul 28 8:05 am

Based on the sky down here in SSP I thought we were going to get dumped on this morning. Very little rain so far.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3607
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by HockeyBum » Wed Jul 28 8:14 am

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jul 28 8:05 am
Based on the sky down here in SSP I thought we were going to get dumped on this morning. Very little rain so far.
Same in Woodbury. Black skies for over an hour now, but barely a drop. It's dry everywhere this year, but the east metro in particular has been a desert. Seems like every time the west metro gets something, it falls apart by the time it gets here.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 28 10:04 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Wed Jul 28 8:14 am
Zwak wrote:
Wed Jul 28 8:05 am
Based on the sky down here in SSP I thought we were going to get dumped on this morning. Very little rain so far.
Same in Woodbury. Black skies for over an hour now, but barely a drop. It's dry everywhere this year, but the east metro in particular has been a desert. Seems like every time the west metro gets something, it falls apart by the time it gets here.
Super dark in Blaine. Light (read that as insignificant) rain and distant thunder. Everything slid to the west.

I don't want to look at my next water bill.

User avatar
Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Posts: 15406
Joined: Wed Apr 09 10:45 am
Location: The Sticks
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 616 times
Age: 48
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jul 28 10:12 am

We got .5" in NYA.

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 9198
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 53 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Jul 28 10:44 am

Yeah, in Plymouth, we got like .3"

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Wed Jul 28 2:06 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Wed Jul 28 10:12 am
We got .5" in NYA.
You lucky SOB. We got skunked again here (55 miles W of you)

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jul 28 8:06 pm

Sounds like conditions are ripe for a Derecho tonight in most of Wisconsin and portion of eastern MN.

Per US National Weather Service Twin Cities

Last edited by Bertogliat on Wed Jul 28 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Wed Jul 28 8:07 pm

Just coming in here to express my hopes that friends in Wisconsin stay safe tonight.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by The Rube » Wed Jul 28 9:27 pm

It looked torturous this morning in my area, but little came of it. We'll see what tonight brings.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bladepuller » Thu Jul 29 9:14 am

Smoke is so bad on ML this AM that visability is down to 1/2 mile.
A health advisory is out for here.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Thu Jul 29 9:53 am

You can smell it today. Fun stuff.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 29 12:04 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Thu Jul 29 9:14 am
Smoke is so bad on ML this AM that visability is down to 1/2 mile.
A health advisory is out for here.
It's smoky down here now too.

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jul 29 1:18 pm

It smells like wildfire down here in the south metro.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 29 1:20 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29 1:18 pm
It smells like wildfire down here in the south metro.
Same here in Woodbury. It's just so weird out there. Hard to tell how much is clouds and how much is smoke.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 29 2:19 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29 1:18 pm
It smells like wildfire down here in the south metro.
Good reminder for me to order a new furnace filter.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Thu Jul 29 3:55 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 29 2:19 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29 1:18 pm
It smells like wildfire down here in the south metro.
Good reminder for me to order a new furnace filter.
So I finally did something right? Put in a new filter last week that's supposed to take out smoke and odors.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 29 4:19 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Jul 29 2:19 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Thu Jul 29 1:18 pm
It smells like wildfire down here in the south metro.
Good reminder for me to order a new furnace filter.
I'm glad I replaced mine about a week ago. It smells like Hammerheart Brewing made the atmosphere their new brew deck.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jul 29 4:52 pm

My filter is only about 3 months old, but I ordered a couple of new filters and will replace once the smoke pollution goes away.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 29 9:23 pm

Yep, haze at just about ground-level here in Mtka/Hopkins. It's bad. MPR said it is the worst day in MN history for AQI.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Posts: 4458
Joined: Sat Dec 06 7:55 pm
Location: Wishing to be back at N46d 7.456m, W93d 31.221m
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Jul 30 8:51 am

Much better here today on the SE end of Mille Lacs. Still some haze but much improved from the last couple days

Google Ontario or Manitoba wildfire map and look at the areas, by zooming in, that some of these fires have consumed.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

User avatar
gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Posts: 20656
Joined: Sat Oct 02 8:53 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 91 times
Age: 30

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by gopherguy13 » Fri Jul 30 8:56 am

Is this smoke gonna be out of the metro by tomorrow? Day on the boat planned tomorrow, but if it's going to be as bad as it has been these last two days we might not go out...
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30200
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times
Age: 33

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Beauner » Fri Jul 30 8:57 am

gopherguy13 wrote:
Fri Jul 30 8:56 am
Is this smoke gonna be out of the metro by tomorrow? Day on the boat planned tomorrow, but if it's going to be as bad as it has been these last two days we might not go out...
Allegedly it should clear out today, at least that's the report I just heard.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 30 9:46 am

According the Belinda it should clear up a bit this afternoon. Sunday will be the clearest. But it sounds like we'll be dealing with at least a bit for a while here. She said yesterday afternoon and this morning should be the worst though.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jul 30 10:31 am

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:46 am
According the Belinda it should clear up a bit this afternoon. Sunday will be the clearest. But it sounds like we'll be dealing with at least a bit for a while here. She said yesterday afternoon and this morning should be the worst though.
I just poked my head outside and it seems to be clearing up a little. The wind seems to be from the south which should help.
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Posts: 20656
Joined: Sat Oct 02 8:53 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 91 times
Age: 30

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by gopherguy13 » Fri Jul 30 10:45 am

Yeah it's definitely not as bad today as it was yesterday. Hopefully it keeps moving in that direction.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Fri Jul 30 11:06 am

Been wearing my Covid mask outdoors. Helps some but I can still feel it in my chest.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Fri Jul 30 11:07 am

What amazes me is how large these fires must be for so much smoke to travel this far
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 30 11:59 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Jul 30 10:31 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:46 am
According the Belinda it should clear up a bit this afternoon. Sunday will be the clearest. But it sounds like we'll be dealing with at least a bit for a while here. She said yesterday afternoon and this morning should be the worst though.
I just poked my head outside and it seems to be clearing up a little. The wind seems to be from the south which should help.
How would you know…aren’t you out on some yacht in the middle of the ocean right now? :)
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Fri Jul 30 12:31 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 30 11:59 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Jul 30 10:31 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:46 am
According the Belinda it should clear up a bit this afternoon. Sunday will be the clearest. But it sounds like we'll be dealing with at least a bit for a while here. She said yesterday afternoon and this morning should be the worst though.
I just poked my head outside and it seems to be clearing up a little. The wind seems to be from the south which should help.
How would you know…aren’t you out on some yacht in the middle of the ocean right now? :)
Good point. I just figured he's at his son's cabin.

User avatar
Kelly Red
Veteran
Posts: 3422
Joined: Wed Dec 05 4:12 pm
Location: High Horse
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 256 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Kelly Red » Fri Jul 30 12:58 pm

This sucks. I have severe asthma and this air is just brutal. I have a daily control inhaler and an emergency inhaler and I’m still struggling.
Honestly I’m surprised the road to Hell is paved at all.
-blatant steal from Twitter

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 30 1:30 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Fri Jul 30 12:58 pm
This sucks. I have severe asthma and this air is just brutal. I have a daily control inhaler and an emergency inhaler and I’m still struggling.
I can only imagine. I was coughing yesterday a little and I have none of those issues.

I hope it gets better really soon for you and sorry to hear it
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 30 1:31 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jul 30 12:31 pm
davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 30 11:59 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Jul 30 10:31 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Jul 30 9:46 am
According the Belinda it should clear up a bit this afternoon. Sunday will be the clearest. But it sounds like we'll be dealing with at least a bit for a while here. She said yesterday afternoon and this morning should be the worst though.
I just poked my head outside and it seems to be clearing up a little. The wind seems to be from the south which should help.
How would you know…aren’t you out on some yacht in the middle of the ocean right now? :)
Good point. I just figured he's at his son's cabin.
I swear I saw a pic of him on a boat in Missouri the other day. It’s like we should play “Where in the World is GreyEagle”
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Gopherguy05
Veteran
Posts: 5101
Joined: Fri Dec 01 8:52 pm
Location: West St. Paul
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 35 times
Age: 39

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Gopherguy05 » Fri Jul 30 2:15 pm

Welp.




User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jul 30 3:27 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jul 30 1:31 pm
I swear I saw a pic of him on a boat in Missouri the other day. It’s like we should play “Where in the World is GreyEagle”
It was TN......try to keep up, Jr. :lol:
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Sun Aug 01 9:01 pm

Finished July with .8" of rain. Fits right in with June's .7". My long term average for the two months is 8.3". People are 4 wheeling on the Minnesota River here. Never seen that before.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Mon Aug 02 7:13 am

Norm wrote:
Sun Aug 01 9:01 pm
Finished July with .8" of rain. Fits right in with June's .7". My long term average for the two months is 8.3". People are 4 wheeling on the Minnesota River here. Never seen that before.
I drove thru your area last week on the way to the Cities. You can certainly see the pockets of places that received more rain while most are bone dry. I have never seen as many farmers hauling water out to their pastures in order to water their livestock that normally would get the water from the streams and ponds in the pasture. Also, everything in my garden ( that is still alive ) is ripening well ahead of the normal time. I have pumpkins that are all ready turning orange. :roll:

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Mon Aug 02 7:56 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Mon Aug 02 7:13 am
Norm wrote:
Sun Aug 01 9:01 pm
Finished July with .8" of rain. Fits right in with June's .7". My long term average for the two months is 8.3". People are 4 wheeling on the Minnesota River here. Never seen that before.
Also, everything in my garden ( that is still alive ) is ripening well ahead of the normal time. I have pumpkins that are all ready turning orange. :roll:
Not nearly on the same scale as you guys but we have a couple tomato plants that are going bonkers. I've never had bigger plants before. The two of us will be swimming in cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes soon.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm

Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 33605
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 05 11:24 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
Saw some lightning and heard very faint thunder in the Hopkins/Tonka area....but nothing. Looked up on radar...nothing.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5856
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 138 times
Age: 35

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Snowcool08 » Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Thu Aug 05 11:43 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.
Up to 1.42 now
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10785
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by davescharf » Fri Aug 06 6:40 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:24 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
Saw some lightning and heard very faint thunder in the Hopkins/Tonka area....but nothing. Looked up on radar...nothing.
We had a very brief (15-20 minute) downpour here. It looked like on radar it basically popped up right over us.

Not a ton of rain since my irrigation system ran this morning
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
gopher6
Veteran
Posts: 5386
Joined: Wed Feb 01 7:17 am
Location: frozen pond
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 39 times
Age: 59
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by gopher6 » Fri Aug 06 7:01 am

Nothing in the west metro

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Aug 06 9:05 am

We hit the rain lottery last night. At my home place I had 1 1/2 inches and at the other farm about 10 miles away I got 2 1/2 inches. It won't reverse all the damage done so far, but it is nice to get some moisture in the soil again, as it soaked right in. I did have to sacrifice a concert we were at last night as it got cancelled about 30 minutes in because of the bad weather.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Fri Aug 06 9:09 am

Skunked again here. Haven't had a decent rain since May 27.

Now they're saying maybe Saturday.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Aug 06 9:22 am

Norm wrote:
Fri Aug 06 9:09 am
Skunked again here. Haven't had a decent rain since May 27.

Now they're saying maybe Saturday.
Jebus. Watching the storms from in/around SW MN yesterday I figured you'd get something....
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Posts: 5856
Joined: Tue Mar 06 2:20 am
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 138 times
Age: 35

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Aug 06 12:18 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:43 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.
Up to 1.42 now
According to this, I got 2.42 last night. That seems right.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Fri Aug 06 12:40 pm

We've reached the stage of drought where the TV weather people are really pissing me off.

Ch 4 guy: Hopefully you can get outside today and enjoy the dry weather before the wet pattern returns tomorrow.

Ch 11 guy: Hopefully you were in a location yesterday that dodged the rain.

Me: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8973
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 534 times
Been liked: 693 times
Age: 34

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Aug 06 12:44 pm

It poured in Burnsville last night maybe around 8:30. By the time time I left work at 10:30 the roads were already completely dry.

User avatar
frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7936
Joined: Fri Feb 11 9:52 am
Location: On the farm
Has liked: 411 times
Been liked: 590 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by frozen4champs » Fri Aug 06 1:00 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Aug 06 12:18 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:43 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.
Up to 1.42 now
According to this, I got 2.42 last night. That seems right.
This may be the most accurate rainfall map I have seen this year. Most of the time the totals are not even close. I'm in the yellow-orangish part of sw Mn, and it looks pretty close to what I got.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Fri Aug 06 1:22 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Aug 06 12:18 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:43 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.
Up to 1.42 now
According to this, I got 2.42 last night. That seems right.
Just amazing that airport is 7 miles (seems closer) from our house and they got 1” less than we did.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Fri Aug 06 2:39 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Fri Aug 06 1:00 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Aug 06 12:18 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:43 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.
Up to 1.42 now
According to this, I got 2.42 last night. That seems right.
This may be the most accurate rainfall map I have seen this year. Most of the time the totals are not even close. I'm in the yellow-orangish part of sw Mn, and it looks pretty close to what I got.
I'm in the white part between the two systems.

User avatar
Beauner
Golden
Golden
Posts: 30200
Joined: Sat Feb 12 2:59 pm
Location: Minnesota
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 351 times
Age: 33

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Beauner » Fri Aug 06 3:22 pm

Zwak wrote:
Fri Aug 06 1:22 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Aug 06 12:18 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:43 pm
Snowcool08 wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:32 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Aug 05 11:22 pm
Loving the big thunderstorms here in SSP. 1.13 inches of rain so far
It’s been pouring in Woodbury for the better part of an hour. I was thinking it was about 2 inches, but I’m really bad at guessing rainfall amounts.
Up to 1.42 now
According to this, I got 2.42 last night. That seems right.
Just amazing that airport is 7 miles (seems closer) from our house and they got 1” less than we did.
I was gonna say, in Eagan I saw lots of lightning flashing and I think my house saw about 10 raindrops.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

User avatar
D2D
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3435
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 575 times
Been liked: 200 times
Age: 72

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by D2D » Fri Aug 06 3:35 pm

Nothing where we live in Plymouth. And all of sudden our sprinkler system stopped working, and sections of our grass are turning brown. We have the sprinkler repair man coming over on Tuesday to hopefully take care of the problem.
D2D - 49 years, and counting...

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Fri Aug 06 5:59 pm

My yard has been brown since the middle of June. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Aug 07 6:23 am

Karlsson wrote:
Fri Aug 06 5:59 pm
My yard has been brown since the middle of June. :mrgreen:
That’s not funny.

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 20710
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 736 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Greyeagle » Sat Aug 07 7:31 am

Excellent AM rain in Capital City, I hope our GPL farmers are having the same luck.
:M: :M2: Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers! :M2: :M:

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Sat Aug 07 7:39 am

1.08” here in SSP so far this morning
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3607
Joined: Thu Jun 03 12:28 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 56 times
Contact:

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by HockeyBum » Sat Aug 07 9:30 am

I think I've had more rain at my house in the last 48 hours than May/June/July combined.

User avatar
Zwak
Moderator
Posts: 11463
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 234 times
Age: 55

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Zwak » Sat Aug 07 9:38 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Sat Aug 07 9:30 am
I think I've had more rain at my house in the last 48 hours than May/June/July combined.
Yep. We’re up to 2.64” over the last 48 hours or so.
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Sat Aug 07 9:40 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 07 6:23 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Aug 06 5:59 pm
My yard has been brown since the middle of June. :mrgreen:
That’s not funny.
I think it is, it being my lawn and all. Am I laughing at farmer's misfortunes? No. Despite my best edits to water it (I don't have a sprinkler system) it remains dry and "dormant." I think it is because of the big maples I have sucking up any moisture that hits the ground. All I can do is laugh at this point.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3923
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Norm » Sat Aug 07 10:05 am

1.75 glorious inches here. And you'd never know it rained as there are no puddles and the ground is still dry. That bone dry ground soaked it up immediately. It's too late for the crops but it's still great for the trees etc.

User avatar
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Posts: 11916
Joined: Wed Apr 09 11:19 am
Location: Group W Bench
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 515 times
Age: 46

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Sat Aug 07 11:53 am

Karlsson wrote:
Sat Aug 07 9:40 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 07 6:23 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Aug 06 5:59 pm
My yard has been brown since the middle of June. :mrgreen:
That’s not funny.
I think it is, it being my lawn and all. Am I laughing at farmer's misfortunes? No. Despite my best edits to water it (I don't have a sprinkler system) it remains dry and "dormant." I think it is because of the big maples I have sucking up any moisture that hits the ground. All I can do is laugh at this point.
Brown lawns are nothing to joke about.

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 4104
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Karlsson » Sat Aug 07 12:07 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 07 11:53 am
Karlsson wrote:
Sat Aug 07 9:40 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 07 6:23 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Aug 06 5:59 pm
My yard has been brown since the middle of June. :mrgreen:
That’s not funny.
I think it is, it being my lawn and all. Am I laughing at farmer's misfortunes? No. Despite my best edits to water it (I don't have a sprinkler system) it remains dry and "dormant." I think it is because of the big maples I have sucking up any moisture that hits the ground. All I can do is laugh at this point.
Brown lawns are nothing to joke about.
Fair. I'd definitely rather it be green. Never really had to water my North MPLS lawn, I think because of the high clay content of the soil. This one in Saint Louis Park definitely doesn't hold on to moisture as long. The aforementioned large maple don't help. Other people around me seem to have slightly greener yards and they haven't watered more than I have, and the grasses appear to be the same.

The rain from this morning (we finally got some) has definitely perked up the bushes that were starting to wilt a little.

User avatar
bearpaw28
Veteran
Posts: 6542
Joined: Wed Jul 19 1:57 pm
Has liked: 308 times
Been liked: 149 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by bearpaw28 » Sat Aug 07 12:20 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sat Aug 07 12:07 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 07 11:53 am
Karlsson wrote:
Sat Aug 07 9:40 am
Bertogliat wrote:
Sat Aug 07 6:23 am
Karlsson wrote:
Fri Aug 06 5:59 pm
My yard has been brown since the middle of June. :mrgreen:
That’s not funny.
I think it is, it being my lawn and all. Am I laughing at farmer's misfortunes? No. Despite my best edits to water it (I don't have a sprinkler system) it remains dry and "dormant." I think it is because of the big maples I have sucking up any moisture that hits the ground. All I can do is laugh at this point.
Brown lawns are nothing to joke about.
Fair. I'd definitely rather it be green. Never really had to water my North MPLS lawn, I think because of the high clay content of the soil. This one in Saint Louis Park definitely doesn't hold on to moisture as long. The aforementioned large maple don't help. Other people around me seem to have slightly greener yards and they haven't watered more than I have, and the grasses appear to be the same.

The rain from this morning (we finally got some) has definitely perked up the bushes that were starting to wilt a little.
Red clay vs sand makes a HUGE difference. I’ve lived in the TC since 82, grew up in Duluth/Superior area (where it’s red clay) live in a NW suburb & it’s sand. And in the past 39 years…this summer is the least amount of rain we’ve received that I can recall…

Post Reply