WEATHERMANIA

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 2:46 pm

I sold my '99 Superduty w/ a 7.3 Turbo Power Stroke early winter / late fall. It had sat for a couple years. I but a slow charger on it, pumped up the front tires. 2 weeks later it fired right up but had a crazy fuel leak from the fuel filter on the firewall. Also front tires were way down and had a audible leak when I but a compressor on them.
Aluminum expands & contracts quite a bit and bead leaks are very common. In my experiance both the wheel & the tire need to be worked on. Also a good amount of "bead dope" applied and a serious amount of air, both in PSI & CF applied. There should be a serious POP when the bead seats. The 2 bikes I ride the most are both tubeless cast wheels. My local tire guy & I get along so I pull the wheels and order tires from Dennis Kirk in Rush City. A motorcycle rear that gets 20K miles is exceptional so I see him once a year.
I loved the torque my diesels ( I have had 3) had. The sport I was in then meant pulling horses so I used the diesels. With the cost of fuel being from .15 to .25 higher than gas I couldn't justify an "oil burner" & I'm not a fan of the ride you get with a 3/4 or 1 ton.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 08 2:57 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:44 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:34 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:05 pm
Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 08 11:19 am
Up until this year I had a real problem with my tires losing a bead and slowly losing air in the cold months. Got new tires 6 months ago and it hasn't been a problem since.
I'm having this problem now. One of my tires has been losing about 10-15 PSI per day since December. I have to fill it up almost every day. It's gotten even worse since this cold snap. I filled it to 35 PSI when I got home from work on Friday evening. Didn't drive it all weekend. When I went out for work this morning it was down to 15 PSI.

I took it in to Discount Tire about 3 weeks ago and told them what's been going on. They tested it and couldn't find any leaks. It obviously IS leaking, because I'm pumping it back up almost every day. My tires are less than 3 years old and still have about half the tread left on them. I don't want to replace them yet, but I don't know what other options I have at this point. :x
I had this problem several years ago and it turned out my aluminum rims had some corrosion. The corrosion made for an uneven surface in one spot where the tire met the rim. It was at this spot the tire was leaking. I don't remember where I had it repaired- it may have been Discount Tire- but they used a grinder to smooth the surface of the rim. From then on I had no leaks.

Another thing to check, but I assume Discount Tire would have checked, is the valve stem. Can you feel air escaping? Do you have a cap on the valve stem?

The last thing to try is to spray soapy water at the tire, like checking for gas leaks. Maybe the air leaking form the tire will show in bubbles? This may help if you're leaking air at the bead as well.
I had a tiny crack in my rim this fall. Causing my tired to lose 10-15 lbs in a day. So have them check for rim problems.
This is totally a first world problem but my car is old enough to have the low pressure indicator on the dash but NOT new enough where it identifies the pressure of each tire. It was always a drag to have to measure all 4 tires to find the culprit.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Greyeagle
Has liked: 907 times
Been liked: 580 times

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Feb 08 3:10 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 08 2:57 pm
This is totally a first world problem but my car is old enough to have the low pressure indicator on the dash but NOT new enough where it identifies the pressure of each tire. It was always a drag to have to measure all 4 tires to find the culprit.
It's always the last one you check. Always! Regardless of which tire you start with.
Plus at least one of the caps will roll under the car during this process. :lol:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 08 3:33 pm

You guys obviously didn't inflate your tires with winter air, hence the problems. Duh.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Mon Feb 08 10:09 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:41 am
Cable barriers are one of the best things to happen to MN roads in a long time. A totaled car getting stopped by a barrier is an easy trade compared to the horrific injuries a vehicle crossing into oncoming traffic can cause.
I had an incident on a motorcycle a couple years ago that really made me think about these things. I was overtaking a vehicle in the passing lane. The vehicle I was overtaking decided to enter my lane with no turn signal and without checking its blindspot. I was forced to the shoulder where the cable barrier was. Thankfully, there was no crash. I have to say, in a similar situation, I would welcome a ditch or center median as opposed to the cables. Hitting one of those on a bike would be catastrophic. At least in the ditch, one would have a chance.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 08 10:10 pm

Cables vs a concrete media or oncoming traffic is an easy choice, IMO.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 08 10:13 pm

I spun out on a crazy icy road once and hit a concrete was with my bumper. The car bounced off and had minor damage. The cable would have made a bigger mess.

On a bike....gross.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 10:26 pm

Whioux/Bucky Hater wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:09 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Cable barriers are one of the best things to happen to MN roads in a long time. A totaled car getting stopped by a barrier is an easy trade compared to the horrific injuries a vehicle crossing into oncoming traffic can cause.
I had an incident on a motorcycle a couple years ago that really made me think about these things. I was overtaking a vehicle in the passing lane. The vehicle I was overtaking decided to enter my lane with no turn signal and without checking its blindspot. I was forced to the shoulder where the cable barrier was. Thankfully, there was no crash. I have to say, in a similar situation, I would welcome a ditch or center median as opposed to the cables. Hitting one of those on a bike would be catastrophic. At least in the ditch, one would have a chance.
Come on. Steve McQueen would just jump it like he did the fence in The Great Escape. Then again if you weren't on your Triumph that might not have worked.

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Mon Feb 08 10:35 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:26 pm
Whioux/Bucky Hater wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:09 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Come on. Steve McQueen would just jump it like he did the fence in The Great Escape. Then again if you weren't on your Triumph that might not have worked.
If I had been on my Triumph I would have just hit the gas and been out of trouble in an instant. Being this was a couple years ago, I didn't yet have that modern marvel of engineering. No, I was on a 700+ pound evo with questionable braking performance. Kinda stuck where I was at.

I can't imagine insurance companies are fans of the cables. They can turn a call for a truck to pull the car out of the snow into at least one side of the car being trashed and possibly more if the car collects the vehicle behind it as well. Then again, it is the consumer that will end up paying for higher claims.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 10:46 pm

I have read that the cables really cut down on head ons.
I now own on of those 700 lbers. 2000 Heritage Springer.
Bored & stroked but I think it has a broken ring. Buddy needed cash & I needed a project.

Sioux/Bucky Hater
Golden
Golden

Post by Sioux/Bucky Hater » Mon Feb 08 10:54 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:46 pm
I have read that the cables really cut down on head ons.
I now own on of those 700 lbers. 2000 Heritage Springer.
Bored & stroked but I think it has a broken ring. Buddy needed cash & I needed a project.
I have no doubt that they do...in the summer. I think mother nature takes care of that in the winter. The winter is when they are constantly being hit, wrecked, and repaired.

Better check that cam chain tensioner on your new boat anchor.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 11:22 pm

[quote="Whioux/Bucky Hater"

Better check that cam chain tensioner on your new boat anchor.
[/quote]

That's what caused the previous owner to have it bored and stroked.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Feb 12 4:20 pm

I’ve been trolling a lot of my friends who are talking about cold weather this weekend. However I’ve left the Texans alone because it could get below zero in north Texas and the Fort Worth NWS is forecasting 3-8” of snow Sunday night.

Winter is definitely drunk
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Steve MN » Fri Feb 12 8:51 pm

That ugliness in Fort Worth yesterday? That was just stomach-churning.

I've found myself sideways on I-94 over the Chippewa River, looking up the hill at a semi coming down at me after spinning out (spoiler: I got out of the way before it got down to the bridge, and my truck was perfectly drive-able afterward. There were several vehicles involved, but no injuries much less fatalities, thankfully) and watching the cell phone clip from yesterday morning? That was horrible.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Feb 12 9:28 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Fri Feb 12 8:51 pm

I've found myself sideways on I-94 over the Chippewa River, looking up the hill at a semi coming down at me after spinning out (spoiler: I got out of the way before it got down to the bridge, and my truck was perfectly drive-able afterward. There were several vehicles involved, but no injuries much less fatalities, thankfully) and watching the cell phone clip from yesterday morning? That was horrible.
It was. I nearly flipped my grandparents minivan (with them in it) on highway 75 in NW Iowa when I hit glare ice. I was18 and to this day I’m not sure how we didn’t flip and how someone didn’t tag us coming the other way

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Feb 12 9:38 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Feb 12 9:28 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Fri Feb 12 8:51 pm

It was. I nearly flipped my grandparents minivan (with them in it) on highway 75 in NW Iowa when I hit glare ice. I was18 and to this day I’m not sure how we didn’t flip and how someone didn’t tag us coming the other way
I was playing pinball off the guard rails on both sides of the bridge, and definitely expected to find myself in freezing water. Ended up stopped across the two lanes, looking through my passenger side window up at incoming traffic. Glad I was able to get enough traction to pull out of the way before other cars got close enough to be a problem. Los of cars with damage, but all from there bridge guard rails, not each other.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Feb 12 10:08 pm

I think the scariest moment I had was going from Plymouth Rd onto 394E, that Ridgedale exit, in my old Jeep. 2 lane ramp, cold weather like this. Hit a patch of ice, started to slide, purposefully over steered to avoid going OFF the ramp, did a 360, hit dry pavement (luckily going the right direction), and gunned it to stop the spin. At that moment, "Whew, that was close. *chuckle* That was a trip." Got home about 5 minutes later. THEN it sank in, and I thought, "HOLY SH* AM I LUCKY."

TheRube33 on UnTappd

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by frozen4champs » Sat Feb 13 9:03 am

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 15 6:24 am

Mother Nature got really drunk and is taking it out on Texas. North Texas is seeing wind chills of -20, DFW airport had 3” of snow with more coming, and a buddy in San Antonio posted pics of about 1-2 inches of snow in his driveway.

All 254 counties in Texas are under a winter storm warning too :shock:
Last edited by davescharf on Mon Feb 15 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 15 6:26 am

davescharf wrote:
Mon Feb 15 6:24 am
Mother Nature got really drunk and is taking it out on Texas. North Texas is seeing wind chills of -20, DFW airport had 3” of snow with more coming, and a buddy in San Antonio posted pics of about 1-2 inches of snow in his driveway.
:lol:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 15 6:32 am

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Feb 15 6:26 am
davescharf wrote:
:lol:
Friend of mine on Memphis said they are expecting 5-7” of snow too. Said it could be the most they’ve seen since 1985

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopher6 » Mon Feb 15 7:53 am

davescharf wrote:

L.O.L.🧊🧊🧊

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 15 8:11 am

I'm trying to grasp what it would be like to experience weather that you don't normally get. Obviously we get most of everything here except hurricanes. The only thing I can think of is the heavy snowfalls that some other places like Buffalo, NY or the UP of Michigan.

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Mon Feb 15 8:23 am

davescharf wrote:

Pics I've seen from around the DFW metroplex don't look bad at all for Minnesota standards.

Irving PD and FD put chains on their tires, the Dallas Morning News basically sent out a "TELL US WHAT TO DO!!" on social media asking transplants from northern climates to tell them how to deal with the weather, and there are 15 minute rolling blackouts since electricity demand has exceeded supply.

Hearing people are bundled up with multiple blankets in front of a fire and people are breaking out space heaters. Sounds like The End Times.
"I've made a career out of ugly goals" - Dino Ciccarelli
Slap Shot: They're [UND FANS] top notch.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Mon Feb 15 8:43 am

My sister lives in Dallas and is telling me they have rolling power outages due to the cold weather

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 15 9:45 am

MinnesotaNorthStar wrote:
Mon Feb 15 8:23 am
davescharf wrote:

Pics I've seen from around the DFW metroplex don't look bad at all for Minnesota standards.

Irving PD and FD put chains on their tires, the Dallas Morning News basically sent out a "TELL US WHAT TO DO!!" on social media asking transplants from northern climates to tell them how to deal with the weather, and there are 15 minute rolling blackouts since electricity demand has exceeded supply.

Hearing people are bundled up with multiple blankets in front of a fire and people are breaking out space heaters. Sounds like The End Times.
I agree by our standards it doesn't look bad but that's more than just the thin coating they're used to seeing as well. The snow in San Antonio definitely caught my eye as did two people's pools that looked iced over enough that they could go ice skating safely on them.

A couple of my friends have been powerless since early this morning. Even if that happens here (one of them said it was 3 degrees and their house was down to 55 already) you're going to have problems so hopefully they don't start dealing with frozen pipes, etc.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 15 9:48 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 15 8:11 am
I'm trying to grasp what it would be like to experience weather that you don't normally get. Obviously we get most of everything here except hurricanes. The only thing I can think of is the heavy snowfalls that some other places like Buffalo, NY or the UP of Michigan.
Yeah - we get both extremes for sure. I know we were discussing this on Facebook but the only thing I think that comes close for us is that real summer humidity...the 75-80 degree dew point stuff they get in the south that we don't always see.

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by MATT » Mon Feb 15 9:50 am

davescharf wrote:
Mon Feb 15 9:45 am
davescharf wrote:

I agree by our standards it doesn't look bad but that's more than just the thin coating they're used to seeing as well. The snow in San Antonio definitely caught my eye as did two people's pools that looked iced over enough that they could go ice skating safely on them.

A couple of my friends have been powerless since early this morning. Even if that happens here (one of them said it was 3 degrees and their house was down to 55 already) you're going to have problems so hopefully they don't start dealing with frozen pipes, etc.
We had freezing rain that took down trees and power lines Saturday morning. We had no power from 10am Saturday until 1pm Sunday. We still don’t have internet over 48 hours later. Cellular was either impacted by the power outages or so overloaded that we couldn’t get anything resembling passably reliable internet on our phones until last night. Duke energy reported over 160,000 impacted Saturday in our area. Fun times 😒

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Kelly Red » Mon Feb 15 10:53 am

davescharf wrote:
davescharf wrote:

I’m always amused by the general panic that sets in for a few inches of snow, BUT as my relatives reminded me...they have no snowplows, no real winter clothing and their houses aren’t insulated nearly as well as here in MN. I have good friends just outside of Houston, they are freezing. He said Houston has only 2 snowplows, so that snow is going to sit until it melts. Their recently planted landscaping is probably dead as they are Zone 8/9, not 3-4 like here. They had to scramble to cover outside faucets. They don’t own winter coats, just a polar fleece zip. This isn’t being dumb on their part, this kind of cold is just unheard of that far south.
Irresponsible amounts of butter were used.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 15 12:19 pm

The inside and outside faucets are a problem. From the HGTV shows I’ve seen in Texas, it isn’t unusual for walls to be minimally insulated, if insulated at all.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 15 12:23 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 15 8:11 am
My coworker is from Michigan but now lives in Fort Lauderdale. When we both had to travel to Salt Lake City a year or so ago she bought a winter coat and was shivering cold while I wore a fall coat and was totally fine.

Temps were in the 20s or 30s

Idontknow
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Idontknow » Mon Feb 15 12:44 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Mon Feb 15 10:53 am
davescharf wrote:
davescharf wrote:

I’m always amused by the general panic that sets in for a few inches of snow, BUT as my relatives reminded me...they have no snowplows, no real winter clothing and their houses aren’t insulated nearly as well as here in MN. I have good friends just outside of Houston, they are freezing. He said Houston has only 2 snowplows, so that snow is going to sit until it melts. Their recently planted landscaping is probably dead as they are Zone 8/9, not 3-4 like here. They had to scramble to cover outside faucets. They don’t own winter coats, just a polar fleece zip. This isn’t being dumb on their part, this kind of cold is just unheard of that far south.
A little off topic, but I recently learned that NYC uses garbage trucks for their snowplow trucks. Good way to not have to buy extra trucks, I guess!

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Mon Feb 15 1:03 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Feb 15 12:19 pm
The inside and outside faucets are a problem. From the HGTV shows I’ve seen in Texas, it isn’t unusual for walls to be minimally insulated, if insulated at all.
When we lived in NC, if the temperature was going to drop below 20 we had to let our faucet drip to make sure the pipes didn't freeze.
Pipes were run in the crawl space and in the attic uninsulated. The crawl space was never an issue as the ground didn't freeze and the house was a decent insulator. It was the pipes in the attic that would freeze. If we'd been long-term residents we'd of had to do something more permanent to fix it.
JWG :M:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Feb 15 9:54 pm

As of 4-5 years ago, the whole ATL metro area had a total of 8 plows.

Also, as mentioned earlier with insulation, do homes that far south even come with thermostats that can generate that much heat? (yeah, dumb question, but man...)

They literally have little to no clue what to do, because of unfamiliarity.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by D2D » Mon Feb 15 11:39 pm

Can't wait to see this month's heating usage, been running pretty much non-stop for a week. But in terms of cost it's still not as bad as a really hot July when the A/C can be running full stop due to a heat wave. We sure see it all here in the upper Midwest.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Mon Feb 15 11:58 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Feb 15 9:54 pm
As of 4-5 years ago, the whole ATL metro area had a total of 8 plows.

Also, as mentioned earlier with insulation, do homes that far south even come with thermostats that can generate that much heat? (yeah, dumb question, but man...)

They literally have little to no clue what to do, because of unfamiliarity.
Most have electric central AC/Heat. I just had to flip a switch on the thermostat from "Cool" to "Heat".

The neighbor of a friend of mine in Burleson had their pipes burst and he himself has had no power for 18 hours (he went to UND with me so he knows how to handle winter). I have a feeling there is going to be quite a bit of pool damage too.
"I've made a career out of ugly goals" - Dino Ciccarelli
Slap Shot: They're [UND FANS] top notch.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Feb 16 7:35 am

I learned yesterday that Texas has its own power grid and is not connected to the the rest of the US. Here's an article about it.

NOTE: Please don't let this spin off into a political discussion (it easily could).

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... ower-grid/

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Tue Feb 16 8:24 am

City in Texas has to shut down water supply due to weather problems
https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-city-fo ... d=75916304

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue Feb 16 9:18 am

Zwak wrote:
Tue Feb 16 7:35 am
I learned yesterday that Texas has its own power grid and is not connected to the the rest of the US. Here's an article about it.

NOTE: Please don't let this spin off into a political discussion (it easily could).

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/arti ... ower-grid/
Please note that the Texas grid does have connections to the East and West grids for emergency type use. Unlike in Japan where there are two grids that are not compatible with each other (one runs on 50hz, the other on 60hz)

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Feb 16 9:23 am

I have a friend on the DFW area who is going on 30 hours without power. I get what’s going on and why (I read the link last night and a few others) but that’s still beyond ridiculous

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by Norm » Tue Feb 16 11:16 am

D2D wrote:
Mon Feb 15 11:39 pm
Can't wait to see this month's heating usage, been running pretty much non-stop for a week. But in terms of cost it's still not as bad as a really hot July when the A/C can be running full stop due to a heat wave. We sure see it all here in the upper Midwest.
That's funny. We spend twice as much on heating as cooling. I suppose it depends on thermostat settings and efficiency of your furnace and AC.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Tue Feb 16 11:45 am

Norm wrote:
Tue Feb 16 11:16 am
D2D wrote:
That's funny. We spend twice as much on heating as cooling. I suppose it depends on thermostat settings and efficiency of your furnace and AC.
I would also guess the type of fuel.
Electric, even off peak, is spendy. Up at ML a buddy has an off peak boiler and is amazed at how expensive it is compared to at his home place in Blooming Prairie.
Propane is more expensive than NG & has price swings that can be very seasonal. As a farmer you sure see that @Norm .
Fuel oil? Used it in one place I rented. It was an exterior tank so it was #2 & seemed expensive.
Natural Gas sure is nice, but I do like my wood stove in these temps.🤗 Toasty toasty.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Tue Feb 16 1:08 pm

Bladepuller wrote:
Tue Feb 16 11:45 am
Norm wrote:
D2D wrote:
Electric, even off peak, is spendy. Up at ML a buddy has an off peak boiler and is amazed at how expensive it is compared to at his home place in Blooming Prairie.
Propane is more expensive than NG & has price swings that can be very seasonal. As a farmer you sure see that @Norm .
Fuel oil? Used it in one place I rented. It was an exterior tank so it was #2 & seemed expensive.
Natural Gas sure is nice, but I do like my wood stove in these temps.🤗 Toasty toasty.
Yes, we use propane.
And we just got a call from our REA urging members to reduce their usage or they will have to go to rolling blackouts.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Feb 16 1:18 pm

So GPL's resident meteorologist works for a company called MISO, they play a significant role in the allocation of power within our region. She mentioned this morning the entire power grid the help manage is operating at full power and apparently this is not common. She mentioned this has been going on since the 14th and was extended to tomorrow night. Interestingly she also mentioned the tidbit @Zwak brought up earlier today about Texas being on its own grid and there are a couple other states - NY and FL - who also follow that model. Those particular regions don't have the ability to share power (in & out) as other regions do.

https://www.misoenergy.org/

5 O.T.
Veteran
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by 5 O.T. » Tue Feb 16 1:45 pm

Norm wrote:
Tue Feb 16 1:08 pm
Bladepuller wrote:
Tue Feb 16 11:45 am
Norm wrote:
D2D wrote:
Yes, we use propane.
And we just got a call from our REA urging members to reduce their usage or they will have to go to rolling blackouts.
https://www.americanexperiment.org/2021 ... blackouts/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertbryc ... 8b78647e15

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by g-manpuck » Tue Feb 16 2:54 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Feb 16 1:18 pm
So GPL's resident meteorologist works for a company called MISO, they play a significant role in the allocation of power within our region. She mentioned this morning the entire power grid the help manage is operating at full power and apparently this is not common. She mentioned this has been going on since the 14th and was extended to tomorrow night. Interestingly she also mentioned the tidbit @Zwak brought up earlier today about Texas being on its own grid and there are a couple other states - NY and FL - who also follow that model. Those particular regions don't have the ability to share power (in & out) as other regions do.

https://www.misoenergy.org/
I wondered where some local legislators have been getting their information about the levels of each type of power source for the grid. Thanks GE for posting that link!
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Tue Feb 16 6:44 pm

My power has gone out twice since 5:30. One was a couple seconds and the other only 10 minutes but it’s still annoying

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Tue Feb 16 7:44 pm

davescharf wrote:
Tue Feb 16 6:44 pm
My power has gone out twice since 5:30. One was a couple seconds and the other only 10 minutes but it’s still annoying
No interruptions here. I'm in Plymouth also, with Wright Hennepin Electric Co-op.

gopher6
Veteran

Post by gopher6 » Wed Feb 17 9:15 am

My sister lives in Dallas she told my this am the lose power for about 5-6 hrs a day then get it back for 1-2 hrs a day

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Feb 17 11:13 am

D2D wrote:
Tue Feb 16 7:44 pm
davescharf wrote:
Tue Feb 16 6:44 pm
No interruptions here. I'm in Plymouth also, with Wright Hennepin Electric Co-op.
I may have to look into this. I swear we lose it a couple times a year and I'm just on the other side of Larch from you.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Feb 17 11:48 am

There is SOME good news about our recent cold spell. From the DNR:

The recent bitter cold has benefits for ash trees.

At 30-below zero, 98% of emerald ash borer’s larvae die.
Even at a measly minus 10-below, 34% perish!!
The cold won't eliminate 'em, but it really slows 'em down.

Yeah cold!!

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Feb 17 2:20 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Feb 17 11:48 am
There is SOME good news about our recent cold spell. From the DNR:

The recent bitter cold has benefits for ash trees.

At 30-below zero, 98% of emerald ash borer’s larvae die.
Even at a measly minus 10-below, 34% perish!!
The cold won't eliminate 'em, but it really slows 'em down.

Yeah cold!!
It doesn't change my life at all to go from -10 to -40. I'd be fine with -40 temps for a few days for that result.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Feb 17 2:38 pm

Also big snow events don't happen @ -40.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Feb 17 2:57 pm

Probably something that a lot of people here know, but yes, it can be too cold to snow.

Orion
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Orion » Wed Feb 17 2:59 pm

Tomorrow's news: The recent cold snap had now created a super resistant stain of ash borer. These murder borers as the DNR calls them are taking over. :)

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 17 9:14 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Feb 17 2:57 pm
Probably something that a lot of people here know, but yes, it can be too cold to snow.
Yep. The trouble is, I don't mind snow. I hate the past two weeks' temps.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Don Adams Wheel of Justice
GPL Podcast Sponsor
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Don Adams Wheel of Justice » Thu Feb 18 10:48 am

Orion wrote:
Wed Feb 17 2:59 pm
Tomorrow's news: The recent cold snap had now created a super resistant stain of ash borer. These murder borers as the DNR calls them are taking over. :)
Survival of the fittest. The only Ash Borers left are all 5 star recruits. We're Effed!!!

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 423 times
Been liked: 383 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 18 11:00 am

The temperature might drop to 69 by the time I go home this morning. That's almost jacket weather.
Currently under construction.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 18 11:22 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Thu Feb 18 11:00 am
The temperature might drop to 69 by the time I go home this morning. That's almost jacket weather.
In 2004 we went on our honeymoon to St. Lucia. One day it was in the 70's and our boat guide was freezing. He said the coldest it have ever been in St. Lucia was 69.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Feb 18 11:48 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Feb 18 11:22 am
Slap Shot wrote:
In 2004 we went on our honeymoon to St. Lucia. One day it was in the 70's and our boat guide was freezing. He said the coldest it have ever been in St. Lucia was 69.
It can get into low 60's here where the elevation is higher, but even in those places it is pretty rare.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 192 times

Post by Kelly Red » Thu Feb 18 12:03 pm

Zwak wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
:lol: This reminds me of our first trip to Belize many years ago. It was in March. We’re getting our sailboat and the marina manager is wearing a polar fleece and a stocking cap. I’m in shorts and a tank top. She’s pissing and moaning about the cold, mid-70s, and I’m laughing. When we told her the temperature back in MN she thought we were messing with her.
Irresponsible amounts of butter were used.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Feb 18 2:36 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Thu Feb 18 12:03 pm
Zwak wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
:lol: This reminds me of our first trip to Belize many years ago. It was in March. We’re getting our sailboat and the marina manager is wearing a polar fleece and a stocking cap. I’m in shorts and a tank top. She’s pissing and moaning about the cold, mid-70s, and I’m laughing. When we told her the temperature back in MN she thought we were messing with her.
We were in Naples in June 2018 with our son waiting for permission leave Florida (needed state approvals since it was an adoption). I got talking to this woman and told her we were from Minneapolis...for 10 minutes she was concerned that we’d be heading home with him and not have a parka and mittens for him

She had no clue that in June in MN that temps are in the 70s and 80s.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Feb 18 3:41 pm

A couple of years ago we visited my wife's relatives in Florida. At bedtime B-I-L said he was going out to the garage to plug in his car overnite as they were predicting temps in the 40's.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu Feb 18 7:19 pm

My parents retired to Naples, Florida some years ago. They had neighbors who decided to move to Sarasota, about 120 miles north. Less than two years later they moved back to Naples because they thought Sarasota was too cold. :roll:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 18 9:18 pm

One of my fave anecdotes is from college. Was in a service frat (required community service hours per month) while at tUMD. Nat'l convention down in Dallas, the week between Christmas and New Year's. It was about 45-50 down there. We're wearing shorts, t-shirts, etc.

They honestly thought we were nuts. They were in heavy jackets and such. They really didn't believe the stories they had heard, until they met us.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

JC65
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by JC65 » Thu Feb 18 9:40 pm

I work for a company that has big offices in Bloomington, and manufacturing facilities in Chippewa Falls. A couple of years ago a new guy got hired in my group and got scheduled for training in Chippewa Falls in February. When he got onto his plane in Melbourne Australia it was 112F. He changed planes in LA but when he got off the plane at MSP it was -18 or something.

I still laugh at that story every time he brings it up. He says his friends and family in Australia think he's lying every time he tells the tale.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Fri Feb 19 12:24 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 18 9:18 pm
One of my fave anecdotes is from college. Was in a service frat (required community service hours per month) while at tUMD. Nat'l convention down in Dallas, the week between Christmas and New Year's. It was about 45-50 down there. We're wearing shorts, t-shirts, etc.

They honestly thought we were nuts. They were in heavy jackets and such. They really didn't believe the stories they had heard, until they met us.
My wife and I vacationed in Scottsdale a number of years ago, and played golf on a beautiful, sunny, 70 degree day right around Christmas. We were shocked to discover that we were the only golfers on the course wearing shorts and short-sleeve golf shirts. No doubt everyone we came across wearing pants and sweaters thought we were the nutty ones!

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Fri Feb 19 1:50 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Feb 19 12:24 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 18 9:18 pm

My wife and I vacationed in Scottsdale a number of years ago, and played golf on a beautiful, sunny, 70 degree day right around Christmas. We were shocked to discover that we were the only golfers on the course wearing shorts and short-sleeve golf shirts. No doubt everyone we came across wearing pants and sweaters thought we were the nutty ones!
This same weekend in Vegas several years ago. Stepped outside a casino in Jeans, Polo Shirt and had a denim jacket.
Lots of other people had full on winter jackets, zipped up and shivering while I was standing there taking my jacket off because I was starting to sweat.
I'd guess it was about 60-65.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Feb 19 2:30 pm

We went to either Baton Rouge or Fayetteville, AR for Thanksgiving every year for nearly 20 years depending upon the location of the Boot game between LSU and UA the Friday of. It was not unheard of for temps to reach low 50's and parts of our group might have shorts on, but if not never a jacket. Locals thought we were crazy, but it always made for good conversation.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Fri Feb 19 6:32 pm

The same B-I-L from Florida had a question for me: "When we hear on the news that it's 20 below in MN, don't they really mean that it's 20 degrees below freezing? So it's really 12 degrees, right?"

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Feb 19 6:52 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Feb 19 6:32 pm
The same B-I-L from Florida had a question for me: "When we hear on the news that it's 20 below in MN, don't they really mean that it's 20 degrees below freezing? So it's really 12 degrees, right?"
"As far as you know". :lol:

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Fri Feb 19 7:47 pm

On my drive home from work I had to turn the heat down for once. The roads were clear and melting on the sides. Felt like it had to be 40 degrees outside. Checked the temp and it was 20. I guess 20 feels like 40 when we have had negatives for two weeks.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Feb 19 7:52 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Feb 19 7:47 pm
On my drive home from work I had to turn the heat down for once. The roads were clear and melting on the sides. Felt like it had to be 40 degrees outside. Checked the temp and it was 20. I guess 20 feels like 40 when we have had negatives for two weeks.
I had about a half inch of snow in the driveway that was packed down from all the driving on it the past couple days. My driveway faces south so I didn't bother doing anything with it knowing it's supposed to be pretty warm on Sunday, but 80% of it melted today already.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Fri Feb 19 7:57 pm

Good to see the power in the sun.
Sure is different than Dec & Jan.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Fri Feb 19 9:23 pm

Snowcool08 wrote:
Fri Feb 19 7:47 pm
A couple of days ago I was running one of the kids to practice and didn’t feel it was necessary to put on a jacket. It was 9 degrees.

30 degrees is going to feel so nice!