WEATHERMANIA

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Chris83
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 123 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Chris83 » Tue Dec 29 10:18 am

GE - Any updates from your niece and her thoughts on today's weather event?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Greyeagle
Has liked: 907 times
Been liked: 580 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Dec 29 1:32 pm

Good timing, just asked her myself as we have a couple things going tomorrow.
She seems to think it won't be too significant.
Just a quick shortwave of energy, and we're positioned right under the area of greatest lift from the jet stream aloft, so about 3 inches of fluffy snow from about 2pm to 10pm.
I saw her over the weekend and mentioned she's become a minor celebrity on this particular thread. :)
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Wed Dec 30 7:20 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Dec 29 1:32 pm
Just a quick shortwave of energy, and we're positioned right under the area of greatest lift from the jet stream aloft, so about 3 inches of fluffy snow from about 2pm to 10pm.
I saw her over the weekend and mentioned she's become a minor celebrity on this particular thread. :)
Okay, we need to make her the GPL staff meteorologist. For my area of SE Dakota County, her accumulation assessment was spot on, as was the time frame of the snow.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Karlsson » Thu Dec 31 10:31 am

Chris83 wrote:
Wed Dec 30 7:20 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Dec 29 1:32 pm
Okay, we need to make her the GPL staff meteorologist. For my area of SE Dakota County, her accumulation assessment was spot on, as was the time frame of the snow.
Agreed. Started at 2:00 on the dot in MPLS, stopped around 9:30 or so. Exactly three inches sitting on top of the fence. :shock:

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by Norm » Thu Dec 31 10:39 am

Our neighbor girl says she's going to SCSU to become a TV meteorologist. She says it's less schooling than to be a non-tv meteorologist. That was a new one to me.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu Dec 31 12:33 pm

Norm wrote:
Thu Dec 31 10:39 am
Our neighbor girl says she's going to SCSU to become a TV meteorologist. She says it's less schooling than to be a non-tv meteorologist. That was a new one to me.
Basicially its more a broadcasting degree less a meteorology degree. I know of several people who got that degree first and then got an actual meteorology degree online through Mississippi State.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Tue Jan 12 8:29 pm

GE - Need one of your family meteorological forecasts for the weather system coming through Thursday and Friday. Seeing anywhere from 2" to infinity on different sites

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 396 times

Post by Bertogliat » Tue Jan 12 9:02 pm

Lucky me getting to drive to Superior on Friday.

Idontknow
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Idontknow » Wed Jan 13 11:04 am

This is a great site for snowfall total predictions: https://www.weather.gov/mpx/winter
Twin Cities currently in the 6-8 inch range (for now through Saturday morning).

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 428 times
Been liked: 153 times

Post by D2D » Wed Jan 13 12:07 pm

Snowblower filled with fresh gas and is ready to go! Take care of your errands today, the roads and highways will become a mess...6-8 inches on top of freezing rain.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jan 13 6:34 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Tue Jan 12 8:29 pm
GE - Need one of your family meteorological forecasts for the weather system coming through Thursday and Friday. Seeing anywhere from 2" to infinity on different sites
Here you go. :dup:
This storm had barely anything going 36 hours ago according to my go - to weather model. The low pressure treks right over us so most of the action along the cold front and cyclogenesis (cyclonic strengthening) will all be to the east. We will be left with what develops on the western side of the low pressure system, or the 'wrap-around.' Typically, wrap-around precip can be overdone by models and tends to be realized/observed as a weak driver for precipitation. That said, things will be messy for the next 2 days. Looks like freezing rn/mix precip will occur during the early morning hours tomorrow. A decent band with 2ish inches should happen Thursday about midday, and then another burst of snow during the overnight/early morning hours Friday probably about 3-4 inches. With winds picking up early morning and continuing Friday. I'm thinking there will be a decent lull in precipitation Thursday afternoon and early evening. So, maybe 5-6 inches of snow max by Friday afternoon, and only because it's a longer duration system.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Wed Jan 13 6:45 pm

Beautiful!!!! I'll go with her on this. Watched Belinda Jensen 30 minutes ago and she said 3"-7" in the metro. She then showed an accumulation map with 9" smack dab over the twin Cities. Huh? Sincerely, thank you (and her of course) for sharing this. Gotta drive tomorrow and Friday night iin this and it helps to have a rational forecast for reference.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 421 times

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Jan 13 7:20 pm

Kare 11 says where I live that we will get less than an inch. My local TV stations out of Whioux Falls says we will get about 8 inches. So, I'm guessing we will get between 1-8 inches :lol:

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jan 14 8:53 am

This morning's update from GPL's official covert meteorologist. :)
My forecast is still on track. We'll see a quick change over to snow here shortly, resulting in some small accumulations 2ish inches today. We'll have a lull in accumulating snow around supper, there still might be flakes flying but it wont be intense. Then the bulk of the snow will fall during the overnight, particularly midnight - 8am Friday morning. Tomorrow morning's commute will be most impacted. Overall, still about 6 inches for the metro by Friday afternoon. Mankato and southern MN will likely see closer to 7-8 inches, generally. That's including what falls today. If we don't have a couple fresh inches by nightfall (we should), those totals will be less. Winds will blow overnight and tomorrow.

Totally ignore the 12 inches you are hearing. No.

There may be pockets of 10 inches in southern MN, but I'm not convinced. This low had better seriously strengthen and tap into some magical moisture source for that to happen.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 181 times

Post by Zwak » Thu Jan 14 9:03 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Jan 14 8:53 am
My forecast is still on track. We'll see a quick change over to snow here shortly, resulting in some small accumulations 2ish inches today. We'll have a lull in accumulating snow around supper, there still might be flakes flying but it wont be intense. Then the bulk of the snow will fall during the overnight, particularly midnight - 8am Friday morning. Tomorrow morning's commute will be most impacted. Overall, still about 6 inches for the metro by Friday afternoon. Mankato and southern MN will likely see closer to 7-8 inches, generally. That's including what falls today. If we don't have a couple fresh inches by nightfall (we should), those totals will be less. Winds will blow overnight and tomorrow.

There may be pockets of 10 inches in southern MN, but I'm not convinced. This low had better seriously strengthen and tap into some magical moisture source for that to happen.
I really appreciate these forecasts. There's a guy on Twitter I follow (@NovakWeather) that gives good weather insights and forecasts too.
GPL's official source of trivia.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 185 times

Post by davescharf » Thu Jan 14 9:30 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jan 14 9:03 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Jan 14 8:53 am

I really appreciate these forecasts. There's a guy on Twitter I follow (@NovakWeather) that gives good weather insights and forecasts too.
I agree. Have her start posting here and maybe some admin can give her the "GPL Meteorologist" title.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 506 times

Post by Jupiter » Thu Jan 14 9:36 am

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jan 14 9:30 am
I agree. Have her start posting here and maybe some admin can give her the "GPL Meteorologist" title.
Easy to do!

Idontknow
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Idontknow » Thu Jan 14 9:46 am

NWS map saying 8-9 inches total for most of the Twin Cities now.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jan 14 10:06 am

Jupiter wrote:
Thu Jan 14 9:36 am
davescharf wrote:
Easy to do!
Good thing you got extra money in the donation drive because you know GE will want a finders fee to fund his next trip to Palm Springs :D

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Jan 14 10:09 am

davescharf wrote:
Not sure she would nor would we want that. She has made some bad life choices such as a red school to the east. :( :mrgreen:

Both YE and I have told her we repost her forecasts here and she's developing a cult following.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jan 14 10:13 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Jan 14 10:09 am
davescharf wrote:
Not sure she would nor would we want that. She has made some bad life choices such as a red school to the east. :( :mrgreen:

Both YE and I have told her we repost her forecasts here and she's developing a cult following.
There is still opportunity to rehabilitate her. I mean just buy her a cabin or something ;)

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Viking » Thu Jan 14 12:20 pm

Just went out for food and fuel over lunch and the roads in Eagan are starting to get slick already. Saw a few cars go sideways sliding up to intersections.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

bearpaw28
Veteran
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 81 times

Post by bearpaw28 » Thu Jan 14 6:13 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jan 12 9:02 pm
Hockey tournament? I don’t think it will be that bad by 1pm going up 35.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Jan 14 8:52 pm

bearpaw28 wrote:
Thu Jan 14 6:13 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
Tue Jan 12 9:02 pm
Hockey tournament? I don’t think it will be that bad by 1pm going up 35.
Yes

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 259 times
Been liked: 311 times

Post by The Rube » Thu Jan 14 9:18 pm

Viking wrote:
Thu Jan 14 12:20 pm
Just went out for food and fuel over lunch and the roads in Eagan are starting to get slick already. Saw a few cars go sideways sliding up to intersections.
Little slippery this morning, to be honest. Plows hadn't really gone out yet at 8am.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jan 14 9:24 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jan 14 9:18 pm
Viking wrote:
Thu Jan 14 12:20 pm
Little slippery this morning, to be honest. Plows hadn't really gone out yet at 8am.
It's getting slick tonight. There's a fairly steep hill just outside my subdivision and I couldn't stop coming down it before turning in. I ended up about a foot into a pile of snow pushed up at the corner.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Fri Jan 15 12:13 am

Drove home from work in Hastings down here to Welch about 10:15. Not much snow (maybe 1" or so) but very slick with reduced visibility. I was most pleased to pull into the garage tonight.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Fri Jan 22 8:30 pm

Still awaiting the storm forecast from our GPL meteorologist. :wink:

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jan 22 8:36 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jan 22 8:30 pm
Here you go! GPL's meteorologist sister lives south of Mankato.
3-4 inches with the bulk of the snow falling from 4pm - 11pm Saturday night
Mankato 4-5 inches from 1pm - 10 pm

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Fri Jan 22 8:43 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Jan 22 8:36 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Here you go! GPL's meteorologist lives south of Mankato.
GE - You are humble and lovable!!! :dance:

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Jan 22 8:51 pm

Chris83 wrote:
Fri Jan 22 8:43 pm
Greyeagle wrote:
Fri Jan 22 8:36 pm
Chris83 wrote:
Here you go! GPL's meteorologist lives south of Mankato.
GE - You are humble and lovable!!! :dance:
I call BS!
Caught an error, our meteorologists sister lives south of Mankato.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopher6 » Sat Jan 30 5:39 pm

Big part of Highway 1 at Bug Sur falls apart
https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/anima ... -drone.mp4

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jan 30 5:40 pm

RAIN SLEET SNOW! Nothing here so far. Whatever.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Sat Jan 30 6:30 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Sat Jan 30 5:39 pm
We drove that Highway in May 2019. Gorgeous scenery.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 168 times

Post by Bladepuller » Sat Jan 30 6:39 pm

gopher6 wrote:
Sat Jan 30 5:39 pm
That road has taken some serious hits the last couple years. World class ride!
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Sat Jan 30 7:16 pm

Apparently that big snowstorm that was in the forecast a few days ago is going to miss us.

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Wed Feb 03 7:30 pm

We need our accurate and reliable GPL weather forecast for the morning commute, GE. :wink:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Feb 03 9:11 pm

Forecast for this weekend:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 551 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Feb 04 12:36 am

So crazy. It’s raining in early February. I am not looking forward to tomorrow morning’s commute, nor the temperatures coming this weekend. 🥶

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Feb 04 8:00 am

Chris83 wrote:
Wed Feb 03 7:30 pm
We need our accurate and reliable GPL weather forecast for the morning commute, GE. :wink:
Sorry...didn't think of asking her and have not seen anything so she must not be too concerned. :)

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 04 8:07 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Feb 04 8:00 am
Chris83 wrote:
Sorry...didn't think of asking her and have not seen anything so she must not be too concerned. :)
I would like to propose that we refer to her as WE or WeatherEagle :D

Chris83
Golden
Golden

Post by Chris83 » Thu Feb 04 9:31 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
Sigh. Explain to me again why I'm signing your paycheck every two weeks? :lol: :hug:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Feb 04 9:50 am

Zwak wrote:
Thu Feb 04 8:07 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
WE the stinking badger you mean?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 403 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Steve MN » Thu Feb 04 10:28 am

davescharf wrote:
Thu Feb 04 9:50 am
Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
I thought we're giving WE a partial-pass on that due to how well she explains things for us?
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Thu Feb 04 10:43 am

Chris83 wrote:
Thu Feb 04 9:31 am
Sigh. Explain to me again why I'm signing your paycheck every two weeks? :lol: :hug:
I hope she doesn't lose her position on GPL due to no fault of her own. :lol: :mrgreen:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Feb 04 11:30 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Feb 04 10:43 am
Chris83 wrote:
I hope she doesn't lose her position on GPL due to no fault of her own. :lol: :mrgreen:
Nope - we will just fire the mod who hired her :)

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Feb 04 11:34 am

davescharf wrote:
Thu Feb 04 11:30 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Thu Feb 04 10:43 am
Chris83 wrote:
Nope - we will just fire the mod who hired her :)
Hmmm... I suppose that could work. First, we need to get her here directly because currently said mod is our only line of communication to her.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by gopher6 » Thu Feb 04 1:26 pm

It’s going to be below freezing in all 50 states
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... NTpegYKQrK

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 04 1:38 pm

I finished shoveling today. Got undressed from my coat, hat, etc. and had just enough time to walk to the window to see the plow come by. F

He drove by so fast he covered the sidewalk in ice chunks that he knocked off the snow back from previous snowfalls.

You got me today snowplow driver! :nutz:

Composer
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Composer » Thu Feb 04 3:41 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Feb 04 10:28 am
davescharf wrote:
Thu Feb 04 9:50 am
Zwak wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Chris83 wrote:
I thought we're giving WE a partial-pass on that due to how well she explains things for us?
I don't know--a simple "stinking badger" is pretty mild when talking about the plague to the east... :ahhh: :mrgreen:

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Feb 04 4:32 pm

Just saw this on Twitter:

“ @NWSTwinCities just told me we may threaten 160-hour record, dating back to 1982, for continuous hours with below zero windchill. 1958 had a 154 hour stretch. This could be a certifiable doozie.”

JWG
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by JWG » Thu Feb 04 6:29 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu Feb 04 1:38 pm
I finished shoveling today. Got undressed from my coat, hat, etc. and had just enough time to walk to the window to see the plow come by. F

He drove by so fast he covered the sidewalk in ice chunks that he knocked off the snow back from previous snowfalls.

You got me today snowplow driver! :nutz:
Our plow does this every... single... time...
Drives through the neighborhood at 30 mph throwing snow and whatever else past the sidewalk and into our yard covering 1/3rd of our driveway.

What I appreciate is they usually come through twice, so that's nice from a street perspective, but it means we're cleaning that snow wash twice as they seem to cut 2 inches of the pile off each pass.
JWG :M:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Thu Feb 04 6:38 pm

Late last week, the plows came through my neighborhood with the side plows out to clip back the mounds at curbside... it gives a pocket for a lot of the new stuff to get tossed to, so the driveways don't get too blocked. Barely got anything in the driveway today, but I bet that cut-in is half-full.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Thu Feb 04 7:24 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Feb 04 4:32 pm

“ @NWSTwinCities just told me we may threaten 160-hour record, dating back to 1982, for continuous hours with below zero windchill. 1958 had a 154 hour stretch. This could be a certifiable doozie.”
I'm guessing you guys don't subscribe to "The Farmer" magazine. State climatologist Mark Seeley has a fascinating article about February 1936 being the coldest in MN history.

https://www.farmprogress.com/farm-life/ ... t-february

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Thu Feb 04 7:37 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Thu Feb 04 6:38 pm
Late last week, the plows came through my neighborhood with the side plows out to clip back the mounds at curbside... it gives a pocket for a lot of the new stuff to get tossed to, so the driveways don't get too blocked. Barely got anything in the driveway today, but I bet that cut-in is half-full.
They did that in my neighborhood last week too. And it turned into a giant ramp to launch snow over the bank and onto the sidewalk. Bastards.

D2D
Golden
Golden

Post by D2D » Thu Feb 04 7:54 pm

I'm surprised that International Falls aka "The Icebox of the Nation" doesn't hold any of the daily records, for each month, in the State. Also surprised that Pine City holds three.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... s#By_month

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Feb 04 9:45 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Feb 04 4:32 pm

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/jou ... ezing.html

IIRC, 2010 also had a 50 degree swing during that time. :shock:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Snowcool08
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 106 times

Post by Snowcool08 » Mon Feb 08 8:48 am

I don’t know their technical name, but the fence of wires that now line every inch of the freeway was getting a workout this morning. I saw 5 vehicles tangled up in it on my drive in. A couple were sitting on top of the fence. That has to total every vehicle that touches it. A lot of damage for a dusting of snow and low temps.

Norm
Golden
Golden

Post by Norm » Mon Feb 08 9:43 am

Snowcool08 wrote:
Mon Feb 08 8:48 am
I don’t know their technical name, but the fence of wires that now line every inch of the freeway was getting a workout this morning. I saw 5 vehicles tangled up in it on my drive in. A couple were sitting on top of the fence. That has to total every vehicle that touches it. A lot of damage for a dusting of snow and low temps.
Do you mean "cable barrier"?

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Feb 08 9:56 am

That would be my assumption. And, yes, it tends to total the car that impacts it, but does so without injuring the occupants, and keeps the car from going into oncoming traffic as well.

Any median barrier like this is likely to do major damage to the car that hits it, but the cable barriers are also relatively easy to replace after they're hit, which is why they're becoming the standard.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 197 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Feb 08 10:29 am

With there only being a slight dusting, I assuming some of the chaos created in places this morning was caused by exhaust freezing to the pavement.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 10:34 am

This recent cold snap has just been ridiculous.
That vehicles parked outside start is a testament to M.E. I don't even bother to plug in the engine heater on my '15 PU. Then again a friend in Cambridge has diesel that won't fire up plugged in 24 / 7 and a battery charger connected to both batteries.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden

Post by Bladepuller » Mon Feb 08 10:35 am

M.E. = Mechanical Engineering

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Feb 08 10:41 am

Cable barriers are one of the best things to happen to MN roads in a long time. A totaled car getting stopped by a barrier is an easy trade compared to the horrific injuries a vehicle crossing into oncoming traffic can cause.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Feb 08 10:54 am

Bladepuller wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:34 am
That vehicles parked outside start is a testament to M.E. I don't even bother to plug in the engine heater on my '15 PU. Then again a friend in Cambridge has diesel that won't fire up plugged in 24 / 7 and a battery charger connected to both batteries.
Two auto related things that continue to amaze me. 1) how reliable they have become related to cold weather starts and 2) how well tires hold up given the extreme conditions - weather and road. Other than a punctured tire (nail) I have not had a lot of issues in recent history and it seems to take a wicked bad pothole to shred one.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Feb 08 11:01 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:54 am
Bladepuller wrote:
Two auto related things that continue to amaze me. 1) how reliable they have become related to cold weather starts and 2) how well tires hold up given the extreme conditions - weather and road. Other than a punctured tire (nail) I have not had a lot of issues in recent history and it seems to take a wicked bad pothole to shred one.
Totally agree. I had to replace a battery in our Murano last week before the cold snap but I think got almost 6 winters out of it

On my old VW I did hit a pretty bad pothole one day that I saw too late. When the tire went flat I took it in to get replaced and there was a crack all the way through the entire wheel as well. I’d never seen anything like that

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Mon Feb 08 11:19 am

davescharf wrote:
Mon Feb 08 11:01 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Feb 08 10:54 am
Bladepuller wrote:
Totally agree. I had to replace a battery in our Murano last week before the cold snap but I think got almost 6 winters out of it

On my old VW I did hit a pretty bad pothole one day that I saw too late. When the tire went flat I took it in to get replaced and there was a crack all the way through the entire wheel as well. I’d never seen anything like that
Up until this year I had a real problem with my tires losing a bead and slowly losing air in the cold months. Got new tires 6 months ago and it hasn't been a problem since.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 08 11:25 am

Bladepuller wrote:
As I understand it (I don't drive diesel vehicles), the low sulfur diesel fuel gels up in a bad way during these cold snaps. An engine block heater won't help the gelled up fuel in the tank.

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by HockeyBum » Mon Feb 08 1:05 pm

Zwak wrote:
Mon Feb 08 11:19 am
Up until this year I had a real problem with my tires losing a bead and slowly losing air in the cold months. Got new tires 6 months ago and it hasn't been a problem since.
I'm having this problem now. One of my tires has been losing about 10-15 PSI per day since December. I have to fill it up almost every day. It's gotten even worse since this cold snap. I filled it to 35 PSI when I got home from work on Friday evening. Didn't drive it all weekend. When I went out for work this morning it was down to 15 PSI.

I took it in to Discount Tire about 3 weeks ago and told them what's been going on. They tested it and couldn't find any leaks. It obviously IS leaking, because I'm pumping it back up almost every day. My tires are less than 3 years old and still have about half the tread left on them. I don't want to replace them yet, but I don't know what other options I have at this point. :x

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 76 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Feb 08 1:17 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Feb 08 11:25 am
Bladepuller wrote:
As I understand it (I don't drive diesel vehicles), the low sulfur diesel fuel gels up in a bad way during these cold snaps. An engine block heater won't help the gelled up fuel in the tank.
So far....knock on wood...the three Silverado diesels in my work's fleet of trucks have had no issues. Two of the three are parked outside at night with only block heaters, and all three are outside every day all day. They all mainly use fuel from Kwik Trip. Again...so far.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Feb 08 1:22 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:17 pm
So far....knock on wood...the three Silverado diesels in my work's fleet of trucks have had no issues. Two of the three are parked outside at night with only block heaters, and all three are outside every day all day. They all mainly use fuel from Kwik Trip. Again...so far.
Do you have the V8 or V6 diesel? I am probably going to buy a GM truck this spring/summer and just curious how the diesel handles in the cold and how it works overall.

I am leaning toward a 5.3L gas but always good to have some first hand feedback. :)

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Feb 08 1:34 pm

HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:05 pm
Zwak wrote:
I'm having this problem now. One of my tires has been losing about 10-15 PSI per day since December. I have to fill it up almost every day. It's gotten even worse since this cold snap. I filled it to 35 PSI when I got home from work on Friday evening. Didn't drive it all weekend. When I went out for work this morning it was down to 15 PSI.

I took it in to Discount Tire about 3 weeks ago and told them what's been going on. They tested it and couldn't find any leaks. It obviously IS leaking, because I'm pumping it back up almost every day. My tires are less than 3 years old and still have about half the tread left on them. I don't want to replace them yet, but I don't know what other options I have at this point. :x
I had this problem several years ago and it turned out my aluminum rims had some corrosion. The corrosion made for an uneven surface in one spot where the tire met the rim. It was at this spot the tire was leaking. I don't remember where I had it repaired- it may have been Discount Tire- but they used a grinder to smooth the surface of the rim. From then on I had no leaks.

Another thing to check, but I assume Discount Tire would have checked, is the valve stem. Can you feel air escaping? Do you have a cap on the valve stem?

The last thing to try is to spray soapy water at the tire, like checking for gas leaks. Maybe the air leaking form the tire will show in bubbles? This may help if you're leaking air at the bead as well.

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 506 times

Post by Jupiter » Mon Feb 08 1:44 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:34 pm
HockeyBum wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:05 pm
Zwak wrote:

I had this problem several years ago and it turned out my aluminum rims had some corrosion. The corrosion made for an uneven surface in one spot where the tire met the rim. It was at this spot the tire was leaking. I don't remember where I had it repaired- it may have been Discount Tire- but they used a grinder to smooth the surface of the rim. From then on I had no leaks.

Another thing to check, but I assume Discount Tire would have checked, is the valve stem. Can you feel air escaping? Do you have a cap on the valve stem?

The last thing to try is to spray soapy water at the tire, like checking for gas leaks. Maybe the air leaking form the tire will show in bubbles? This may help if you're leaking air at the bead as well.
I had a tiny crack in my rim this fall. Causing my tired to lose 10-15 lbs in a day. So have them check for rim problems.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 76 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Feb 08 2:04 pm

Greyeagle wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:22 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Mon Feb 08 1:17 pm
Do you have the V8 or V6 diesel? I am probably going to buy a GM truck this spring/summer and just curious how the diesel handles in the cold and how it works overall.

I am leaning toward a 5.3L gas but always good to have some first hand feedback. :)
All three trucks have the 6.6L Duramax, I should note that they are all 2500HD trucks. They all have handled the cold very well with no fuel issues and only one DEF issue. The DEF issue was the DEF tank heater crapped out and had to be replaced, $350 for the replacement installed. I guess DEF will freeze once it hits 10 degrees and the DEF heater only works while the truck is running. From what I've been told that the heater will melt the frozen DEF pretty quickly once you start the truck.

I will say that the one thing I have been impressed with is the fuel mileage. They each average right around 16-18 city and 20-22 highway. Mileage doesn't dip too terrible even with a decent load on a trailer behind the truck. I have got 19mpg with a 22' trailer with a skid steer on the trailer going down the highway. We have a 2011 Ram 2500 with a 6.7L Cummins that has power for days so I was concerned switching to a Duramax but it has equal amounts of power for towing. I will say that the Cummins is snappier in acceleration but that is the only difference I have noticed.

Compared to our older Chevy and Ford diesels we have had in the past these Duramax's have performed very well in the Minnesota cold. I would recommend one to anyone wanting a reliable, powerful, and fairly economic powertrain. The only pain is when you fill up the 32 gallon tank with diesel fuel and it costs about $100.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Mon Feb 08 2:25 pm

Thank you!

The 2500 is more than I need and it doesn't appear the 6.6LD is an option for the 1500. One of our managers has the 2500 with same engine, he absolutely loves it.