WEATHERMANIA

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Bertogliat
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 370 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by Bertogliat » Thu May 21 1:28 pm

On Monday I tried to get tee times for today And remember the forecast was for sun and temps in the mid 80s. As of 1:30 it is only 66 degree and cloudy.

How did they screw up so badly just 3 days out?

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 432 times

Post by Jupiter » Thu May 21 2:20 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Thu May 21 1:28 pm
On Monday I tried to get tee times for today And remember the forecast was for sun and temps in the mid 80s. As of 1:30 it is only 66 degree and cloudy.

Are you really surprised???

Last week they were saying that is was going to be in the upper 80's mid week this week. (Pushing 90º) Yeah.... not even close!!!

They still have trouble forecasting 24hrs in advance.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 500 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu May 21 3:20 pm

Humans have not yet learned they cannot predict or control Mother Nature.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Thu May 21 3:36 pm

Only a few days ago we were told what a warm week this would be. Could touch 90 on Thursday.
Today I was mowing. Had to switch to a heavier jacket.

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 366 times
Been liked: 129 times

Post by D2D » Tue May 26 12:26 pm

100% chance of thunderstorms later this afternoon and into the evening, with some expected to be "heavy".
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by gopherguy13 » Tue May 26 4:28 pm

Jupiter wrote:
Thu May 21 2:20 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

Last week they were saying that is was going to be in the upper 80's mid week this week. (Pushing 90º) Yeah.... not even close!!!

A friend of mine said planes send a ton of atmospheric data to weather forecasting folks. He claimed that with such a drastic drop in the number of planes sending info, forecasts tend to be less accurate. Wonder if there is anything to that. Because the forecasts sure have seemed to be more miss than hit lately.
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 323 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue May 26 4:48 pm

gopherguy13 wrote:
Tue May 26 4:28 pm
Jupiter wrote:
Thu May 21 2:20 pm
Bertogliat wrote:

A friend of mine said planes send a ton of atmospheric data to weather forecasting folks. He claimed that with such a drastic drop in the number of planes sending info, forecasts tend to be less accurate. Wonder if there is anything to that. Because the forecasts sure have seemed to be more miss than hit lately.
I'm not sure how much atmospheric data for forecasting relies on data from airplanes, but even if it is a critical component, there's still plenty of air traffic to provide that data.

There's definitely way less airliner traffic today than 3 months ago, but there's still plenty of flights to gather data. As of a few minutes ago, and filtered to only show 200kts (230MPH) and higher (to filter out most small private planes/etc):

A lot of these are full on cargo flights (I see a constant stream of flights between Chicago O'Hare and Anchorage all day), but some are passenger flights, or passenger airlines mostly flying cargo, etc.
Attachments
AirTraffic.JPG
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by The Rube » Tue May 26 4:54 pm

I wish I could remember the doc, but they said weather stations send up balloons that capture data every 30 seconds or something, and everything is sent back to a central computer to analyze. So not only weather at that time, but also information at different altitudes to help forecast. It's amazing. For example, in the 1960s, they had no clue what the weather would be like 6 hours from when they aired the forecast on tv. None. Now, we're talking weeks?

I complain as much as the next person; for example, it's still clear in my neck of the woods, not even a hint of a storm, which is NOT what was predicted.....

so far.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue May 26 4:55 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue May 26 12:26 pm
100% chance of thunderstorms later this afternoon and into the evening, with some expected to be "heavy".
Appears now that the chance of "heavy thunderstorms" is something less than "100%", especially for the West Metro. The whole system has taken more of a northeasterly path rather than the more vertical south-to-north direction that was the case earlier.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue May 26 5:00 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue May 26 4:54 pm
I wish I could remember the doc, but they said weather stations send up balloons that capture data every 30 seconds or something, and everything is sent back to a central computer to analyze. So not only weather at that time, but also information at different altitudes to help forecast. It's amazing. For example, in the 1960s, they had no clue what the weather would be like 6 hours from when they aired the forecast on tv. None. Now, we're talking weeks?

I complain as much as the next person; for example, it's still clear in my neck of the woods, not even a hint of a storm, which is NOT what was predicted.....

so far.
The NWS offices (and I think some other locations as well) send up weather balloons every 12 hours. Don't know of a system that sends things up more frequently than that.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue May 26 5:04 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Tue May 26 5:00 pm
The Rube wrote:

so far.
The NWS offices (and I think some other locations as well) send up weather balloons every 12 hours. Don't know of a system that sends things up more frequently than that.
They CAPTURE the data every 30 seconds. I apologize if I wasn't clearer on that.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Tue May 26 5:20 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue May 26 5:04 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Tue May 26 5:00 pm
The Rube wrote:

so far.
They CAPTURE the data every 30 seconds. I apologize if I wasn't clearer on that.
Ahhh... yeah, I'd have to check, but that sounds about right. I probably should have made that connection too.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue May 26 7:38 pm

We just had a cell go over us in AV and got tornado warning alerts on the phone. Thankfully there was nothing serious as we don’t have anywhere to really hide in the house anyways. 😬

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue May 26 8:55 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Tue May 26 7:38 pm
We just had a cell go over us in AV and got tornado warning alerts on the phone. Thankfully there was nothing serious as we don’t have anywhere to really hide in the house anyways. 😬
Where do you keep the horses? :lol: Seriously, don't you have a basement?

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by HockeyBum » Tue May 26 9:02 pm

I wish I had a rain gauge to measure this when it's over, because it's been raining absolute buckets in Woodbury this evening. Just checked radar and it doesn't look like it will be ending anytime soon.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue May 26 9:04 pm

Light rain here by Ridgedale. Total yawner.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue May 26 9:17 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue May 26 8:55 pm
Cowgirl wrote:
Where do you keep the horses? :lol: Seriously, don't you have a basement?
Technically no. We have a weird house; it’s a walk-up rambler and very open; the lower level is at ground level apart from the south wall which has earth behind it. There is one closet under the stairs that is against that south wall but it’s small and so full if we really were in a hurry to get to safety, the tornado would get us before we could pull enough stuff out for the two of us and the dog to even fit. :lol:
Other than that closet, there are no rooms in the home without windows; apart from an upstairs bathroom that has a skylight - and we have enough gigantic mature trees around us I wouldn’t want to be upstairs.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue May 26 9:30 pm

I'd hide under/behind the "downstairs" bar I suppose, if I were at your place.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Tue May 26 9:37 pm

What is under your stairs? That is usually a safe place.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue May 26 9:41 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue May 26 9:37 pm
I dunno if they actually have a space under their stairs....honestly.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Tue May 26 9:46 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Tue May 26 9:37 pm
A closet packed full of stuff. We have very little storage space in the house, this is where a lot of random things live.
As I mentioned we’d have to literally heave things out of there to have any hope of actually fitting in the closet.

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 211 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue May 26 11:53 pm

Just get a belt and tie yourselves to some random pipe coming out of the ground. I swear I've seen this work like a charm. Some tornado documentary, I think. You know, I think the guy from the Princess Bride was in it and died. Doesn't make sense, I've seen him in other stuff since. Weird.

george
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by george » Wed May 27 6:25 am

HockeyBum wrote:
Tue May 26 9:02 pm
I wish I had a rain gauge to measure this when it's over, because it's been raining absolute buckets in Woodbury this evening. Just checked radar and it doesn't look like it will be ending anytime soon.
I emptied my rain gauge yesterday but didn't stick it far enough into the ground so it blew over. :roll:

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed May 27 9:01 am

Karlsson wrote:
Tue May 26 11:53 pm
Just get a belt and tie yourselves to some random pipe coming out of the ground. I swear I've seen this work like a charm. Some tornado documentary, I think. You know, I think the guy from the Princess Bride was in it and died. Doesn't make sense, I've seen him in other stuff since. Weird.
Are you thinking of the movie Twister? :mrgreen:

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Zwak » Wed May 27 9:05 am

1.65 inches of rain in South St. Paul in the last 24 hours. Someone posted on Twitter that Woodbury received 2.67 inches during the same time period.
GPL's official source of trivia.

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Composer » Wed May 27 3:13 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
I was driving on Cty Rd 46 and saw that thing about a mile to the south. It was hanging down low and had a slow rotation. I wasn't surprised when I heard that there was a Tornado Warning.

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 02 10:28 pm

Lightning struck the Victory Memorial flagpole today and knocked the flag off it and to the ground.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 02 10:34 pm

Dang. Had one real boomer, shook my place. Other than that, normal thunderstorm.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Armadillo
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Armadillo » Tue Jun 02 11:35 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Jun 02 10:28 pm
Lightning struck the Victory Memorial flagpole today and knocked the flag off it and to the ground.
thumb_its-because-you-touch-yourself-at-night-fig-8040955.png
thumb_its-because-you-touch-yourself-at-night-fig-8040955.png (59.4 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
GPL Unofficial Puck-to-the-Head Expert since 2006.

"If it was gravy or death, I'd eat it off of Rosie O'Donnell's asscrack. You can print that." -The Rube

Have a question about comas? Ask me, I've been in one!

Karlsson
Veteran

Post by Karlsson » Tue Jun 02 11:59 pm

You know, just once it would be nice if something wasn't because of that. Just. Once.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Jun 03 8:30 am

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Jun 02 11:59 pm
You know, just once it would be nice if something wasn't because of that. Just. Once.
Agreed.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 987 times
Been liked: 670 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 03 8:54 am

Karlsson wrote:
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by Bigbeer » Thu Jun 04 12:45 am

Karlsson wrote:
Well, have you tried not doing that?
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu Jun 04 8:14 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Jun 02 10:34 pm
Dang. Had one real boomer, shook my place. Other than that, normal thunderstorm.
Same, except we were watching TV when it hit VERY close by. As a result we lost that cable box despite repeated efforts to reset it, including a half hour on the phone with an Xfinity tech guy (all the other boxes escaped injury). They are sending a repair person out tomorrow morning to replace the non-working one.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 04 10:01 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu Jun 04 8:14 am
The Rube wrote:
Tue Jun 02 10:34 pm
Same, except we were watching TV when it hit VERY close by. As a result we lost that cable box despite repeated efforts to reset it, including a half hour on the phone with an Xfinity tech guy (all the other boxes escaped injury). They are sending a repair person out tomorrow morning to replace the non-working one.
That one boomer hit just as I was opening my balcony door to have a smoke before the wind/rain would make it unpleasant. I admit, I was startled. It was that loud.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Jun 05 10:12 am

The Xfinity tech came over this morning and replaced the non-working box, and also did a full system check to make sure everything is working as it should. She also mentioned that many others located in the vicinity (up to a half-mile away from where the bolt hit) sustained equipment damage, so they have a lot of repair work to do.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Jun 05 12:52 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Jun 05 10:12 am
The Xfinity tech came over this morning and replaced the non-working box, and also did a full system check to make sure everything is working as it should. She also mentioned that many others located in the vicinity (up to a half-mile away from where the bolt hit) sustained equipment damage, so they have a lot of repair work to do.
Wow - I don't remember hearing anything that close. Our Xfinity Internet wasn't affected at all
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Fri Jun 05 1:05 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Jun 05 12:52 pm
Wow - I don't remember hearing anything that close. Our Xfinity Internet wasn't affected at all
Mine neither, just knocked out the one TV cable box. According to the tech it hit just to the south and east of Rockford Road and Larch Lane.

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 321 times

Post by Beauner » Fri Jun 05 1:25 pm

Not local weather, but this video is freaking cool.

Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 06 6:17 pm

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 06 6:42 pm

Cancel that. WOW. It was all red....until it hit the 494-694 loop, then POOF it was gone.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Viking » Sat Jun 06 6:49 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 06 6:42 pm
Cancel that. WOW. It was all red....until it hit the 494-694 loop, then POOF it was gone.
Oh I don't know.... got a good 15 minutes of rain here in Eagan!! :ahhh:
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 06 6:51 pm

It rained, and is still raining here, but it looked like hell was coming.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jun 06 7:30 pm

We had a giant thunderclap over us while walking the dog. Thankfully he had already $h!t three times otherwise I think it would have been scared out of him..... :lol:

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Sun Jun 07 9:46 pm

According to KARE 11, only 3 times in recorded history has MN received significant rains from a tropical storm remnants. This week will be the 4th.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Sun Jun 07 10:53 pm

Zwak wrote:
Sun Jun 07 9:46 pm
According to KARE 11, only 3 times in recorded history has MN received significant rains from a tropical storm remnants. This week will be the 4th.
Weather Underground shows an inch is forecasted.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Jun 08 8:12 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Sun Jun 07 10:53 pm
After the hot dry windy stretch we've been in, we could use an inch.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Mon Jun 08 9:59 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Jun 08 8:12 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
I try not to water at night but the sprinklers are running now.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jun 08 10:00 pm

Bertogliat wrote:
Mon Jun 08 9:59 pm
D2D wrote:
Mon Jun 08 8:12 pm
Bertogliat wrote:
I try not to water at night but the sprinklers are running now.
I know what time it is at night because my apt complex's sprinklers hit up at midnight during the summer. I hear them, and "Oh, guess it's my bedtime!" :lol:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Maize
Veteran
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Maize » Mon Jun 08 10:07 pm

Zwak wrote:
Recorded history on something like that barely goes back 120 years, and even that can be a bit shaky, but according to the DNR, those three were:

1900--Great Galveston Hurricane
2005--Hurricane Rita(which was less than a month after Hurricane Katrina hit)
2007--Tropical Storm Erin

2007 was by far the worst, with the southeast part of the state getting up to 20 inches of rain in some areas. All that hot, humid air from the storm hit a patch of cool air from Canada and created a stationary front that just dumped water for a day-and-a-half. Conditions aren't that bad this time and it looks like most of it will miss the Cities.

gopher6
Veteran
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by gopher6 » Tue Jun 09 7:10 am

We go from 95 on Monday to 69 on Wednesday

Composer
Veteran
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Composer » Tue Jun 09 7:29 am

Looks like the second week in a row my golf league will be cancelled...

HockeyBum
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by HockeyBum » Tue Jun 09 8:40 am

Composer wrote:
Tue Jun 09 7:29 am
Looks like the second week in a row my golf league will be cancelled...
My son is supposed to have his first baseball practice since March tonight. My phone says 80% chance of rain at 6pm. 2020 just doesn't give up.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Kelly Red » Tue Jun 09 9:28 am

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 06 6:17 pm
I’m assuming you’ve seen this film? Take Shelter. Is he having a mental breakdown or does he actually have visions? Is he a religious nut job or a seer?
I love Michael Shannon.
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Tue Jun 09 9:40 am

Kelly Red wrote:
Tue Jun 09 9:28 am
The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 06 6:17 pm
I’m assuming you’ve seen this film? Take Shelter. Is he having a mental breakdown or does he actually have visions? Is he a religious nut job or a seer?
I love Michael Shannon.
Michael Shannon just isn't intense enough for me :) :D

My first experience with him was in Premium Rush. Joseph Gordon Levitt plays a bike messenger and Shannon is his nemesis. Very lightweight movie but i really enjoyed it.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 09 9:30 pm

I have not seen that particular movie. While I hated "The Runaways," he was brilliant in that. I've seen other movies he's been in (Mud, Knives Out, Revolutionary Road, etc) which are good movies.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jupiter
Bringer of Jollity
Bringer of Jollity
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 432 times

Post by Jupiter » Wed Jun 10 7:31 am

After all the warnings of 1-2 inches of rain yesterday.... It sprinkled for about 10 minutes yesterday and that was it.

Bertogliat
Golden
Golden

Post by Bertogliat » Wed Jun 10 7:32 am

Zwak wrote:
Well.....maybe next time.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 10 8:16 am

It was interesting watching those two systems interact yesterday. I could actually see both the line of storms coming across the Dakotas and the tropical storm remnant hit what amounted to a roadblock up the middle of the state, with the line from the west getting stalled in place, and the tropical system deflected east. Looking at the reports this morning, the Winona area got around 4.5 inches, with a similar line running up through WisconSIN

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 10 8:27 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:16 am
It was interesting watching those two systems interact yesterday. I could actually see both the line of storms coming across the Dakotas and the tropical storm remnant hit what amounted to a roadblock up the middle of the state, with the line from the west getting stalled in place, and the tropical system deflected east. Looking at the reports this morning, the Winona area got around 4.5 inches, with a similar line running up through WisconSIN
We had a meeting yesterday afternoon in (GD!) Oakdale. There was a steady rain & around 67F when we left and it was 74 and no rain when we got west of downtown St. Paul. Amazing change in just 7-8 miles.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 10 8:47 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:27 am
Steve MN wrote:
We had a meeting yesterday afternoon in (GD!) Oakdale. There was a steady rain & around 67F when we left and it was 74 and no rain when we got west of downtown St. Paul. Amazing change in just 7-8 miles.
Watching on the radar, there was this basically straight clear line up central Minnesota that started on the western edge of the cities and moved eastward as the edge sharpened up.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 10 8:52 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:47 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Watching on the radar, there was this basically straight clear line up central Minnesota that started on the western edge of the cities and moved eastward as the edge sharpened up.
I should have mentioned this was around 7PM.
It really was amazing, as we were driving it was almost clear above us, really dark behind us (east) and you could clearly see the front line to the west you mentioned. Crazy weird.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 10 9:01 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:52 am
Steve MN wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
It really was amazing, as we were driving it was almost clear above us, really dark behind us (east) and you could clearly see the front line to the west you mentioned. Crazy weird.
Sounds about right. I didn't pull up a forecast map, but I suspect there was a ridge of high pressure that the storms were essentially bumping against.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 10 9:03 am

I asked my meteorologist niece about it, very curious what she says.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Post by Norm » Wed Jun 10 9:11 am

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 9:01 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 10 8:52 am
Steve MN wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Sounds about right. I didn't pull up a forecast map, but I suspect there was a ridge of high pressure that the storms were essentially bumping against.
We got .1 here 100 miles sw of TC. We're bone dry.

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 139 times

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Jun 10 9:13 am

Heavy fast rains in the Driftless Area can be bad on the infrastructure, crops, and trout streams.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

Greyeagle

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Jun 10 10:09 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Wed Jun 10 9:03 am
I asked my meteorologist niece about it, very curious what she says.
The remnants of Tropical Storm Cristobal that hit LA, Ms and AL over the weekend came straight north and hit IA, eastern MN and basically all of WI yesterday. Fun fact, it's a rather unusual occurrence in the midwest-- just the fourth tropical storm remnants to reach Wisconsin since record-keeping began back in the mid-1800s, and is the farthest northwest a system has ever made it across the Upper Midwest. And, already, there was an upper level trough and corresponding surface low over the central US. The two features essentially combined and created an upper level feature (@500mb of pressure which is up there) called a shortwave trough (Cristobal) with the more prominent trough that already existed in the jet stream, just behind it. These features, without getting too technical, create rising and lifting air in smaller geographic regions at a quicker pace than normal, thus causing much instability. We had pretty heavy rain pop up in Woodbury about 11pm last night but it only lasted about 20 minutes and then it stopped. But then we had another similar downpour about 15 minutes later. Very typical of a tropical rain because warm, most air mixing with cold. The cold front associated with the surface low and larger upper air trough finally moved though overnight and the shortwave trough and Cristobal remnants moved into the upper Great Lakes.

She had a map to go with the section below and I can try to save and upload it later. Both were from "Pivotal Weather"
The pink is the 500mb upper air flow. You can see the two troughs, very close. That doesn't typically happen in our fluid-like atmosphere.
The green and yellow is the surface precip at the same time as the upper air image. You can see the eastern precip is the remnants of Cristobal and the stronger, more western low with the red L is the already existing low pressure that was there. It is going to bring our cooler temps for next few days.
Those images were forecast images, not actual, and valid at 1pm CDT yesterday
But it was close to what actually happened.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Wed Jun 10 11:05 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Gauge is broken but we must have received an inch in AV/Burnsville yesterday evening.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 10 11:26 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:05 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Gauge is broken but we must have received an inch in AV/Burnsville yesterday evening.
Looking at the 24 hour measurements reported this morning, looks like 1/4 inch by the Hennepin/Dakota county up to about 3/4 in the southeast portion of the county.

https://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/GetMap.as ... /2020&cp=0

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Jun 10 12:36 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:26 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Looking at the 24 hour measurements reported this morning, looks like 1/4 inch by the Hennepin/Dakota county up to about 3/4 in the southeast portion of the county.

.34 inches in South St. Paul according to my home weather station.

Curious @Steve MN , do you have a home weather station? If so, what kind? I had a Vantage Pro Wireless at one time that didn't work well for me. It came out in the early stages of wireless technology and it did not work very well. I should have done with the wire version. Now I have an Acurite system that I bought at Costco that works great for my basic needs.

Kelly Red
Veteran
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Kelly Red » Wed Jun 10 1:42 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Jun 10 12:36 pm
Now I have an Acurite system that I bought at Costco that works great for my basic needs.
I use a radio for my basic needs :poke:
What is it with men and the weather? My husband has a weather station up at the cabin he fusses with. I’m like look out the f#*, window...is it raining? Stay inside. Is it sunny? Go swimming. Is it dark and windy! Let’s go home. Simple. :wink:
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let’s go. We’re burning daylight.
-John Wayne

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 10 3:54 pm

Zwak wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 11:26 am
Cowgirl wrote:
Greyeagle wrote:
Steve MN wrote:

.34 inches in South St. Paul according to my home weather station.

Curious @Steve MN , do you have a home weather station? If so, what kind? I had a Vantage Pro Wireless at one time that didn't work well for me. It came out in the early stages of wireless technology and it did not work very well. I should have done with the wire version. Now I have an Acurite system that I bought at Costco that works great for my basic needs.
I have one, but it's fairly old and never really got it fully set up. The electronic rain gauges in those are good for most purposes, but aren't necessarily fully accurate, particularly in intense rain.

The gauge I have is:
https://weatheryourway.com/collections/ ... rahs-gauge

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Wed Jun 10 7:46 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 3:54 pm
The gauge I have is:
Just wondering, what is the official gauge the various volunteer weather reporters use to measure and report rainfall amounts in various Minnesota cities? And the official one at the airport? If not too pricey I'd be interested in buying one...

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Jun 10 9:14 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Jun 10 7:46 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed Jun 10 3:54 pm
The gauge I have is:
Just wondering, what is the official gauge the various volunteer weather reporters use to measure and report rainfall amounts in various Minnesota cities? And the official one at the airport? If not too pricey I'd be interested in buying one...
Doing some searching, it looks like they're very up-scaled versions of what I use, but require use of a calibrated "measuring stick" that you put into the collection tube, take out and measure. The one I use just has the gauge on the collection tube itself.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Jun 10 9:52 pm

Kelly Red wrote:
Wed Jun 10 1:42 pm
Zwak wrote:
Now I have an Acurite system that I bought at Costco that works great for my basic needs.
I use a radio for my basic needs :poke:
What is it with men and the weather? My husband has a weather station up at the cabin he fusses with. I’m like look out the f#*, window...is it raining? Stay inside. Is it sunny? Go swimming. Is it dark and windy! Let’s go home. Simple. :wink:
You mean Midwesterners and weather, right? :lol:

I'm not a pro, like SteveMN (no, that is not a jab) but I can feel when a storm's coming, I look to the radio/tv to see how strong it's going to be. I geek out to seeing the front roll in, as my 3rd floor apt faces west, pretty darn close to the edge of the 494-694 loop (aka The Heat Island).

If I'm lucky, that storm won't shift to the north or south once it hits this island, and I sit in the dark and enjoy the light show. Part of it is just Mother Nature doing her thing, it's really an awesome sight, and part of it is remembering watching storms roll across Leech Lake, when my family took their vacations at a (now defunct) resort up there.

TheRube33 on UnTappd