WEATHERMANIA

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: WEATHERMANIA

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Mon Sep 02 10:04 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Sep 02 10:00 pm
MinnesotaNorthStar wrote:
Mon Sep 02 9:58 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Sep 02 9:52 pm
For the locals....it's comin'. Heard the first low rumbles.....
In about 45 mins...
It's that slow and low rumble......I have a feeling it's the real deal comin' in.
It is...dying down a little bit though.
"I've made a career out of ugly goals" - Dino Ciccarelli
Slap Shot: They're [UND FANS] top notch.

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by davescharf » Mon Sep 02 10:09 pm

The Rube wrote:
The Rube wrote:
In about 45 mins...
It's that slow and low rumble......I have a feeling it's the real deal comin' in.
The thunder and lightning looking north from my porch has been impressive
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:13 pm

Mon Sep 02 10:04 pm
The Rube wrote:
The Rube wrote:
In about 45 mins...
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Mon Sep 02 10:14 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Sep 02 10:13 pm
Mon Sep 02 10:04 pm
The Rube wrote:
The Rube wrote:
In about 45 mins...
You probably won't notice...:lol:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:14 pm

The sirens are sounding.......
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 02 10:15 pm

Yep sirens in New Hope.
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:18 pm

Full light show on Hopkins Crossroad394. Sirens ain't quittin;.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Handyman
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Handyman » Mon Sep 02 10:19 pm

Sirens off...
GG13 can burn in hell! #neverforget

The entire above post is an opinion. If you disagree with me, that is aok by me :) :dup:

"Yeah I know Handy,you're the smartest guy on the board,maybe on the whole interwebs!!! Yea Handy!!"
- dave122793 Sun Jan 05, 2014

"I'm clearly an idiot. Forget I ever said anything. :biggrin2:"
-Scooby 2/7/2017

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:22 pm

Just got in from a smoke, it's all the rain.All of it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:24 pm

TheRube33 on UnTappd

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Mon Sep 02 10:25 pm

Told you you wouldn't notice...

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:28 pm

Mon Sep 02 10:25 pm
Told you you wouldn't notice...
It's rather intense here. Not tornado-like, but dang....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Mon Sep 02 10:35 pm

Took the dog out for bedtime walk around 10 in Eagan. Sky was lighting up so frequently it almost felt like it was 630pm. Quite the lightning performance.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Sep 02 10:45 pm

Radar indicated rotation set off the tornado warning. The signature went away quickly, and the warning ended early. Already clearing out in North MPLS.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 02 10:54 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Mon Sep 02 10:45 pm
Radar indicated rotation set off the tornado warning. The signature went away quickly, and the warning ended early. Already clearing out in North MPLS.
It was all the intense here, then some rain, then *poof* gone. *sigh* Nice brief light show, but that was about it. Disappointing.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Sep 03 9:25 am

1.41 inches of rain in 31 minutes at my place in Brooklyn Park. No hail, only one really good blast of wind.
I was watching the radar and have to admit I was a bit surprised by the Tornado Warning. There had been some possible signatures farther west with an earlier Tornado warning, but couldn't quite figure out why they set that one. I'm not going to suggest I know better than the NWS crew in Chanhassan (in case you're wondering, I've actually met several of them, been out for drinks after severe storm conference with a few where the decision on when/whether to sound a warning was a topic, etc) especially not to look at a radar display and make that call, but I can usually see what the NWS was looking at after the warning is sounded and at least say "OK, I can see why" which I couldn't do this time.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

MinnesotaNorthStar
Veteran

Post by MinnesotaNorthStar » Tue Sep 03 1:21 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Tue Sep 03 9:25 am
1.41 inches of rain in 31 minutes at my place in Brooklyn Park. No hail, only one really good blast of wind.
I was watching the radar and have to admit I was a bit surprised by the Tornado Warning. There had been some possible signatures farther west with an earlier Tornado warning, but couldn't quite figure out why they set that one. I'm not going to suggest I know better than the NWS crew in Chanhassan (in case you're wondering, I've actually met several of them, been out for drinks after severe storm conference with a few where the decision on when/whether to sound a warning was a topic, etc) especially not to look at a radar display and make that call, but I can usually see what the NWS was looking at after the warning is sounded and at least say "OK, I can see why" which I couldn't do this time.
While no tornadic activity around the metro, there was on the SW edge of the system. The part that went through the metro showed some as it went through central MN, and there was some rotation as it went through the metro across pretty much the whole line.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Steve MN » Tue Sep 03 2:51 pm

Tue Sep 03 1:21 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Tue Sep 03 9:25 am
While no tornadic activity around the metro, there was on the SW edge of the system. The part that went through the metro showed some as it went through central MN, and there was some rotation as it went through the metro across pretty much the whole line.
There was certainly rotation out to the west as the line approached, but by the time that warning was issued, that had mostly tapered off and was more of a straight-line/bow echo situation.
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Tue Sep 03 10:54 pm

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

MATT
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 3 times

Post by MATT » Tue Sep 03 11:59 pm

jfc!

Beauner
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by Beauner » Wed Sep 04 9:43 am

Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Sep 03 10:54 pm
That is freaking cool. Terrifying, but cool.
Formerly "Speedmerchant16"

Greyeagle
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Greyeagle » Wed Sep 04 11:12 am

Beauner wrote:
Wed Sep 04 9:43 am
Greyeagle wrote:
Tue Sep 03 10:54 pm
That is freaking cool. Terrifying, but cool.
He's a fascinating follow on Twitter if you have an interest in weather related stuff.
In the Twitter conversation he provides the link to his source data at Colorado State for those interested.

If Ford is to Chevrolet What Dodge is to Chrysler / What Corn Flakes are to Post Toasties
What the clear blue sky is to the deep blue sea / What Hank Williams is to Neil Armstrong
Can you doubt we were made for each other

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Sep 11 12:54 am

SiouxFalls with major damage from a tornado tonight. It hit the heart hospital and then moved into the city. It tore the roof off a Best Buy. No word on injuries or deaths yet.

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 11 10:16 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 11 12:54 am
SiouxFalls with major damage from a tornado tonight. It hit the heart hospital and then moved into the city. It tore the roof off a Best Buy. No word on injuries or deaths yet.
My sister-in-law lives about a mile from the hospital that got hit. She took they're kids to the basement around 11:30 pm. Sounds like there may have been an issue with warning sirens as many were not going off.
GPL's official source of trivia.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Sep 11 1:43 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Sep 11 10:16 am
frozen4champs wrote:
My sister-in-law lives about a mile from the hospital that got hit. She took they're kids to the basement around 11:30 pm. Sounds like there may have been an issue with warning sirens as many were not going off.
The mayor admitted human error on that one. Hopefully she has a weather radio or a cell phone, as those alerts worked. Because I live in the country, a weather radio is critical for me as I can't really hear much of the weather outside other than hard rain.

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Wed Sep 11 1:57 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 11 1:43 pm
Zwak wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
The mayor admitted human error on that one. Hopefully she has a weather radio or a cell phone, as those alerts worked. Because I live in the country, a weather radio is critical for me as I can't really hear much of the weather outside other than hard rain.
I'd get one too if I lived in a rural area. We live in South St. Paul so we are really close to downtown St. Paul. I don't feel a need for one so close to an urban area.

Is there any outrage/outcry in Whioux Falls over the error with the sirens? I can only imagine what would happen if it happened here.

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Wed Sep 11 3:00 pm

Zwak wrote:
Wed Sep 11 1:57 pm
frozen4champs wrote:
Wed Sep 11 1:43 pm
Zwak wrote:
frozen4champs wrote:
I'd get one too if I lived in a rural area. We live in South St. Paul so we are really close to downtown St. Paul. I don't feel a need for one so close to an urban area.

Is there any outrage/outcry in Whioux Falls over the error with the sirens? I can only imagine what would happen if it happened here.
Just a few. Luckily, with only a few injuries, I think it will just pass. They have now confirmed 3 tornados touched down last night. One of the local weather guys shot back at people on twitter who complained that they kept interrupting programs as the storms moved closer. He said this is why we do it. My issue on the farm, is we have had over 5.5 inches of rain in the last 3 days, with another 1-2 expected tonight.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Sep 11 7:49 pm

frozen4champs wrote:
What’s “a Best Buy”? :biggrin2:
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

frozen4champs
Golden
Golden

Post by frozen4champs » Thu Sep 12 8:16 am

A little over 4 inches of rain again last night. That brings the weeks total to a little over 9 1/2 inches of rain this week.. :shock: Not going to make the harvest season an easier this year. :censored:

Zwak
Golden
Golden

Post by Zwak » Thu Sep 12 8:49 am

frozen4champs wrote:
Thu Sep 12 8:16 am
A little over 4 inches of rain again last night. That brings the weeks total to a little over 9 1/2 inches of rain this week.. :shock: Not going to make the harvest season an easier this year. :censored:
Posts like this are a humbling reminder for city folk like me. I don't think of things like the harvest when we get rains like this as I have zero exposure to farming. I hope all goes well with you and your farm.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 12 9:10 pm

ALL the rain today, then NO rain today after work. Difficult visibility at times, and sometimes it was block by block as to how hard the rain (if any) was falling. That's how erratic it was in Plymouth.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by D2D » Thu Sep 12 9:31 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Sep 12 9:10 pm
ALL the rain today, then NO rain today after work. Difficult visibility at times, and sometimes it was block by block as to how hard the rain (if any) was falling. That's how erratic it was in Plymouth.
Radar indicated a mean-looking thunderstorm headed our way, but it fell apart just before it got here.