Got Beer?

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 693 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Cowgirl » Fri Sep 17 10:43 pm

Vikre is top notch!

davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 246 times

Post by davescharf » Fri Sep 17 11:05 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Sep 17 10:42 pm
Is that Vikre's brand names, then? I have heard good things about them.
That’s the whiskey. Everything else would carry the Vikre name.

Nearly everything we had was really good. We bought one of their types of gin and a bottle of the whiskey but I’d have bought more if it wasn’t for our stupid liquor laws. I may have to go back tomorrow as a reult
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 392 times
Been liked: 394 times

Post by The Rube » Fri Sep 17 11:11 pm

davescharf wrote:
Fri Sep 17 11:05 pm
The Rube wrote:

Nearly everything we had was really good. We bought one of their types of gin and a bottle of the whiskey but I’d have bought more if it wasn’t for our stupid liquor laws. I may have to go back tomorrow as a reult
A friend and I discussed the liquor laws with the Distillers' group at the Fair. It's insane. MN is archaic compared to the rest of the US. Other states have odd laws, sure, but we are becoming the worst given the progression of other states in updating laws.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Sep 17 11:14 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 17 10:43 pm
Vikre is top notch!
Yes - by far one of the best distilleries I’ve been to

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by g-manpuck » Sat Sep 18 8:14 am

I like the sign in Hoops Brewery in Duluth explaining the silly liquor laws for a brewery to serve cocktails.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Sep 18 8:30 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Sep 17 11:11 pm
davescharf wrote:
Fri Sep 17 11:05 pm
The Rube wrote:

A friend and I discussed the liquor laws with the Distillers' group at the Fair. It's insane. MN is archaic compared to the rest of the US. Other states have odd laws, sure, but we are becoming the worst given the progression of other states in updating laws.
At least we can get more tomorrow if we want or just buy it in the cities. One thing we do like is that the 375mL bottles are good sized for us since we tend to drink more beer and wine. That and we are trying to finish off a bunch of old cheap stuff we acquired over the year so smaller bottles take up less space

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Sep 18 10:10 am

Just got word that Sam Adams' Utopias is being released Oct 11. Tremendous beer. A bit expensive (around $200 for a 24oz bottle) but it is worth it, IMO.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Sep 18 11:35 am

Stopped at Mount Royal here in Duluth and they do have a pretty good selection. Found a few bottles from Warrior Brewing Company to try since their taproom isn’t open yet.

Off to a bunch of the taprooms now up here with some friends

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Sep 18 12:11 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sat Sep 18 11:35 am
Stopped at Mount Royal here in Duluth and they do have a pretty good selection. Found a few bottles from Warrior Brewing Company to try since their taproom isn’t open yet.

Are you doing the three block extravaganza of Duluth Cider, Ursa Minor, and Wild State?

Then you can stumble over to OMC smokehouse, Love creamery for dessert, and fill in the cracks with some Bent Paddle!!

(Not that I’ve ever tried that all in one day before). ;)

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Sep 18 1:45 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Sep 18 12:11 pm
davescharf wrote:
Sat Sep 18 11:35 am

Are you doing the three block extravaganza of Duluth Cider, Ursa Minor, and Wild State?

Then you can stumble over to OMC smokehouse, Love creamery for dessert, and fill in the cracks with some Bent Paddle!!

(Not that I’ve ever tried that all in one day before). ;)
We are. Started at Blacklist and now at Fitgers for
Lunch but that’s our next stop. Bent Paddle is closed because they are celebrating a wedding today though

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 23 10:43 pm

Drekker Birthday Cake Chonk.

I muled some to a friend on the GPL Houghton trip this summer. I can see why she wanted it so badly. Wowzer. It's THICK, basically a strawberry/raspberry fruit smoothie. Delicious.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Sep 23 11:38 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Sep 23 10:43 pm
Drekker Birthday Cake Chonk.

I muled some to a friend on the GPL Houghton trip this summer. I can see why she wanted it so badly. Wowzer. It's THICK, basically a strawberry/raspberry fruit smoothie. Delicious.
They’ve got some crazy good smoothie and seltzer stuff.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 565 times
Been liked: 560 times

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Sep 23 11:51 pm

Had an old favorite tonight - Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.
Currently under construction.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Sep 25 10:05 pm

Didn't feel like anything heavy tonight so I tried Unmapped Fall Lager and it's tasty but not overbearing. Will end the night around the firepit with some Auchentoshan Three Wood and a Padron 1964.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Sep 25 10:38 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Sep 25 10:05 pm
Didn't feel like anything heavy tonight so I tried Unmapped Fall Lager and it's tasty but not overbearing. Will end the night around the firepit with some Auchentoshan Three Wood and a Padron 1964.
While I have my opinions on Unmapped (and they are not good opinions), I commend you on your latter choices.

I am sipping on some Russell's Reserve Single Barrel bourbon, bottles that cannot be sold to the public, due to lack of the Surgeon General's warning label. Quite tasty. Sold to employees only.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 575 times
Been liked: 200 times

Post by D2D » Sun Sep 26 12:13 am

The Rube wrote:
Sat Sep 25 10:38 pm
I am sipping on some Russell's Reserve Single Barrel bourbon, bottles that cannot be sold to the public, due to lack of the Surgeon General's warning label. Quite tasty. Sold to employees only.
Nice benefit. I bet Russell's has no problem finding new employees, as needed.
D2D - 49 years, and counting...

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 8:03 am

D2D wrote:
Sun Sep 26 12:13 am
The Rube wrote:
Nice benefit. I bet Russell's has no problem finding new employees, as needed.
Misunderstanding: I don't work for Russell's, I have a side gig at a local (non-chain) liquor store. There was an allotment shipped to us, and about half-dozen bottles didn't have the proper labeling. The properly-labeled bottles sold out within a week or so.

There are benefits working for a store, though, you are correct.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 26 10:19 am

I was at a party yesterday in Wisconsin and the hosts bought a keg of Spotted Cow. I don’t love it or hate it but i think there’s a law in Wisconsin that if someone buys a keg of New Glarus you’re supposed to have some

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 10:23 am

davescharf wrote:
Sun Sep 26 10:19 am
I was at a party yesterday in Wisconsin and the hosts bought a keg of Spotted Cow. I don’t love it or hate it but i think there’s a law in Wisconsin that if someone buys a keg of New Glarus you’re supposed to have some
There is such a law. Many years ago I was given a verbal warning by a local officer when I thinking about not having a Spotted Cow. :wink:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 10:40 am

(NSFW, language)
Hidden Content...

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Sep 26 11:10 am

The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:
While I have my opinions on Unmapped (and they are not good opinions), I commend you on your latter choices.

Unmapped is the beer of the month at Tonka Bottle Shop and I've never tried it so I gave it a shot. I thought the Fall Lager was decent but I would not go out of my way to go back to it before trying so many other beers out there that I have not yet had since moving away.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 4:47 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Sep 26 11:10 am
The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

Unmapped is the beer of the month at Tonka Bottle Shop and I've never tried it so I gave it a shot. I thought the Fall Lager was decent but I would not go out of my way to go back to it before trying so many other beers out there that I have not yet had since moving away.
Unmapped is 0-3 for me. I was hoping they'd improve, and it hasn't happened. I agree, always give something a try or two or three. One never knows. :)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 26 4:50 pm

I just wish we had more than one go to Taproom/Brewery for consistently above average beer here in the west metro. The only brewery that fits that description is Back Channel

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 4:54 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Sep 26 4:50 pm
I just wish we had more than one go to Taproom/Brewery for consistently above average beer here in the west metro. The only brewery that fits that description is Back Channel
If one is into IPAs, Steel Toe matches that description. However, I'm not into that style of IPAs, nor do I like the (lack of) atmosphere of the brewery. I've HEARD Luce Line is really solid, but I haven't had the pleasure to try them yet.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun Sep 26 5:20 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Sep 26 4:54 pm
davescharf wrote:
If one is into IPAs, Steel Toe matches that description. However, I'm not into that style of IPAs, nor do I like the (lack of) atmosphere of the brewery. I've HEARD Luce Line is really solid, but I haven't had the pleasure to try them yet.
While Steel Toe is in a suburb, if you throw a rock moderately hard to the East it'll land in MPLS. :mrgreen:

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 26 5:29 pm

The Rube wrote:
davescharf wrote:
Ive been to Luce Line twice. They have the potential to get to that level.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 6:08 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Sun Sep 26 5:20 pm
The Rube wrote:
davescharf wrote:
While Steel Toe is in a suburb, if you throw a rock moderately hard to the East it'll land in MPLS. :mrgreen:
True.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Sep 26 7:34 pm

davescharf wrote:
I have not been to either - does neither Excelsior nor Luce Line qualify?

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 26 8:51 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Sep 26 7:34 pm
davescharf wrote:
This is only my opinion but I’m not a huge fan of Excelsior. Like a bunch of other breweries out here they make good stuff but nothing that makes me want to go back regularly.

Luce Line is pretty new which is why I think thy have a chance to be that. I’ve been a couple times thinking if they keep improving they’ll be really good.

Lately if we are going to a tap room that isn’t too far from us it is either Dangerous Man or Back Channel. DM has been making some really good stouts over the summer on top of their other wide range of beers.

Speaking of Back Channel and crowlers we opened a Blue Bomber tonight. Rube, I think you tried this when I saw you there a couple weeks ago but the flavors just really work (Boysenberry, Plum, and Pomegranate). Their fruited Berliners aren’t usually what I go to when I’m there but this is one is excellent

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sun Sep 26 9:26 pm

My dad when to Gustavus for homecoming and they had kegs of Castle Danger and another brewery that I don't recall as both are owned by graduates.

If you could only drink from one brewery for rest of your life which one would it be? For the sake of the discussion pretend you could buy from it regularly no matter where you live.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 9:32 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Sep 26 8:51 pm
Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Sep 26 7:34 pm
davescharf wrote:
This is only my opinion but I’m not a huge fan of Excelsior. Like a bunch of other breweries out here they make good stuff but nothing that makes me want to go back regularly.

Luce Line is pretty new which is why I think thy have a chance to be that. I’ve been a couple times thinking if they keep improving they’ll be really good.

Lately if we are going to a tap room that isn’t too far from us it is either Dangerous Man or Back Channel. DM has been making some really good stouts over the summer on top of their other wide range of beers.

Speaking of Back Channel and crowlers we opened a Blue Bomber tonight. Rube, I think you tried this when I saw you there a couple weeks ago but the flavors just really work (Boysenberry, Plum, and Pomegranate). Their fruited Berliners aren’t usually what I go to when I’m there but this is one is excellent
I had the other flavor of the triple fruit. The Empress, which IIRC was raspberry, strawberry and blueberry? Something like that.
Excelsior used to be good, and they've gotten lazy. Not really a fan of them anymore, and there are multiple sources that have said they have released beer that they know isn't up to par, but rather than dump it, they sell it.
And what davescharf said about Luce.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 195 times

Post by Norm » Sun Sep 26 10:27 pm

davescharf wrote:
My heart breaks for you. :oops: I'm a craft beer lover and the closest brewery is 30 miles away (except for the one in my basement.)

MNNavy
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by MNNavy » Sun Sep 26 10:27 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sun Sep 26 9:26 pm
If you could only drink from one brewery for rest of your life which one would it be? For the sake of the discussion pretend you could buy from it regularly no matter where you live.
Schell's
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." - Thomas Sowell
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." - Sir Winston Churchill

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 26 10:39 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
My dad when to Gustavus for homecoming and they had kegs of Castle Danger and another brewery that I don't recall as both are owned by graduates.

Trappist Westvleteren. For a lifetime commitment, this would be it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 190 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Sep 27 11:02 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Sep 26 10:39 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

That's sort of like "You can only have one brandy the rest of your life... OK, I'll go with Louis XIII"
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Sep 27 11:38 am

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Sep 27 11:02 am
The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

That's sort of like "You can only have one brandy the rest of your life... OK, I'll go with Louis XIII"
:lol:

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Sep 27 12:09 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Sep 27 11:38 am
Steve MN wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

:lol:
To put it in some perspective, Surly has 10 times the output that Westvleteren does.

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Sep 27 3:42 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

Quick twitch response would be Schells. My list of breweries I've visited is relatively short but Hoops Brewing in Duluth is the one that stands out above the others. Again, I don't have a big list to check against.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by Viking » Mon Sep 27 3:56 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Augustiner. If you ever happen to be in Munich for Oktoberfest, this is where the locals go. If I only had one beer to drink for the rest of my life, Augustiner festbier would be it.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 27 4:04 pm

Steve MN wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Slap Shot wrote:

Well, then narrow down the question. :lol: You can buy it regularly over there.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Sep 27 4:40 pm

I'll allow it. :)

My thinking behind it was the brewery might not even have your favorite beer of all time but do you want to be stuck drinking just one or two beers forever or would you want variety and that on average would please your palate throughout the year. Your needs of course may be different so pick what you like.

In that regard it would be hard for me to not pick from Surly, Founders, Tree House, Stone, Chimay, Bell's, Goose Island, Other Half, etc.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 27 4:54 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Mon Sep 27 4:40 pm

My thinking behind it was the brewery might not even have your favorite beer of all time but do you want to be stuck drinking just one or two beers forever or would you want variety and that on average would please your palate throughout the year. Your needs of course may be different so pick what you like.

In that regard it would be hard for me to not pick from Surly, Founders, Tree House, Stone, Chimay, Bell's, Goose Island, Other Half, etc.
And Westie has 3 slightly different beers, but that quality is SO top notch...

Otherwise I would probably choose LTD, to be truthful. Are they the BESTEST? Nope. Do they miss? Very rarely. Do they have variety? Constantly.

Edit: per Untapped, in the 7 years they've been open, they've had 698 beers.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Mon Sep 27 9:36 pm

Slap Shot wrote:

It was answered earlier but I’d probably pick Schells. They’ve got always been a favorite of mine and a brewery I rarely have had a beer from. I also don’t need 8,243,668 different IPAs to have

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Mon Sep 27 9:44 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Sep 27 9:36 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

It was answered earlier but I’d probably pick Schells. They’ve got always been a favorite of mine and a brewery I rarely have had a beer from. I also don’t need 8,243,668 different IPAs to have
Yeah this is a solid pick, and the fact you enjoy them is really all that matters.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 27 9:44 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Sep 27 9:36 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

That's why I chose LTD. They have a multiple of styles to choose from, every time. IPAs to sours to stouts to lawnmower beers. Bent Paddle is pretty much the same way, Back Channel, also. They're not out to necessarily WOW you, they want to try and have something for everyone.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 263 times

Post by Karlsson » Tue Sep 28 9:46 am

I'll have to say Lupulin. It is not than just the beer going into that though. I'm good friends with a couple employees and have gotten to know a few others. Also know a lot of the faces at the tables and bar when I walk in.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Sep 28 9:40 pm

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Sep 28 9:46 am
I'll have to say Lupulin. It is not than just the beer going into that though. I'm good friends with a couple employees and have gotten to know a few others. Also know a lot of the faces at the tables and bar when I walk in.
It's a good reason.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Sep 29 12:11 am

Tried the Wabasha Red Desert IPA. I wouldn't put it in a top list or anything but it was very solid.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Sep 29 11:28 am

Karlsson wrote:
Tue Sep 28 9:46 am
My poor dad loves beer and can walk to Lupulin in about 5 minutes. However he hates anything hoppy

I think I’ve finally brought enough of their non IPAs over for him to try that he’s going there once in awhile now.

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Sep 29 9:16 pm

Castle Danger Ode IPA and Wabasha Red Desert Ale. The former is ok but nothing to write home about. The latter isn't spectacular but I would not hesitate buying it again.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Fri Oct 01 1:49 pm

Found 2 bottles of Weller Special Reserve bourbon in northern WI. My wife wasn’t amused when I told her it would be a nice birthday present :)

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Oct 01 1:58 pm

Since arriving in August I've tried to make sure I buy a different beer every time to soak in as much variety as I can while I'm here. So far I've had one that I would swear by and actively try to go back to - Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Now I can add a 2nd to that list - Insight Hop Spin New England IPA. Plenty of flavor but I didn't feel overwhelmed after 2 cans. Even better that it's locally made.

fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Oct 01 3:04 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Fri Oct 01 1:58 pm
Since arriving in August I've tried to make sure I buy a different beer every time to soak in as much variety as I can while I'm here. So far I've had one that I would swear by and actively try to go back to - Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Now I can add a 2nd to that list - Insight Hop Spin New England IPA. Plenty of flavor but I didn't feel overwhelmed after 2 cans. Even better that it's locally made.
Blackstack is my favorite MN brewery. I was informed earlier in this thread that one of their main brewers went to Insight, and the HopSpin series is one of his projects there - not just continuing the older offerings they had.

So if you like that, I would suggest Local 755, and really anything else from Black Stack.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Oct 01 9:54 pm

BlackStack are killers for all varieties of IPAs. Their doubles and triples are awesome.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Oct 06 7:37 pm

My wife bought me a bottle of Kings County Straight Bourbon Whiskey for my birthday. I know nothing about it so I’m curious to try it. She was going to buy me Woodford Double Oaked but the gal at Top Ten recommended this.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Oct 06 7:41 pm

Kings County does good work. My favorite is their peated bourbon.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Oct 06 7:45 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Oct 06 7:41 pm
I’m sure she said no to this because she doesn’t need anymore smoky flavored beverages in the house. I’m pretty sure she’s still upset about the smell from Hammerheart’s Bog Burial from a few years ago

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Oct 06 8:14 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Oct 06 7:45 pm
Steve MN wrote:
I’m sure she said no to this because she doesn’t need anymore smoky flavored beverages in the house. I’m pretty sure she’s still upset about the smell from Hammerheart’s Bog Burial from a few years ago
I haven't actually seen the Peated on a shelf anywhere in Minnesota. Tasted it at a festival a year and a half ago. But, I've liked several of their offerings.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 144 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Oct 06 8:24 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Oct 01 9:54 pm
BlackStack are killers for all varieties of IPAs. Their doubles and triples are awesome.
Right now I feel like Blackstack ,Modist and Oliphant are slamming their IPA’s. All of those breweries have been around for a while and also brewing on the same systems for a while to dial in their brews.

FWIW also some very good peeps at all 3 breweries.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 06 8:54 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Oct 06 7:45 pm
Steve MN wrote:
The Bog Burial...God, that was the peat of all peats, the smoked of all smoked. Brisket In A Bottle.

Bought a 2-for-1 at Shorewood Liquor last weekend:
2013 Boulder Killer Penguin barleywine
Epic Big Bad Baptist Batch #19 (which turned out to be brewed in Jan '13).

Cracked the Baptist tonight. It held up. :dance: Delicious. The barleywine...I'll wait on. I've had Killer Penguin before, it's rather tasty. I have high hopes.

Edited post, the Baptist was Jan '13, not Oct.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Oct 06 9:23 pm

No 2021 George T Stagg
https://whiskeyraiders.com/bourbon/geor ... ollection/

I had to double-check to make sure I wasn't reading The Onion :shock:

Given what they released in 2019, the fact they couldn't come up with a good batch this year is very telling.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 06 9:27 pm

Agreed on the 2019. It was good, but it wasn't STAGG quality.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bladepuller
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 197 times
Been liked: 204 times

Post by Bladepuller » Wed Oct 06 10:21 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Oct 06 7:37 pm
My wife bought me a bottle of Kings County Straight Bourbon Whiskey for my birthday. I know nothing about it so I’m curious to try it. She was going to buy me Woodford Double Oaked but the gal at Top Ten recommended this.
I brought a bottle of Woodford Double Oaked to reunion / HOF induction this weekend for a teammate.
After the induction I we had an afterparty in a hotel breakfast area. The cork could have been tossed right off the get go.
I HATE :censored: RED! I'm now developing a strong dislike to green also.
TO GOALIES!!! :drunk:
:censored: More Cowbell...I want more GRIT!!!
BTW Keep the helmets on for the NA & intros...You ain't that special.
Brooksley Born really should have been listened to v.s. Alan Greedspan.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 06 10:25 pm

Steve MN wrote:
I had to think about this for a hot moment. The store I work at has a couple different bottles of it. About $100/per. I'll look into it this Sat when I work.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Oct 06 10:44 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Oct 06 10:25 pm
Steve MN wrote:
I had to think about this for a hot moment. The store I work at has a couple different bottles of it. About $100/per. I'll look into it this Sat when I work.
Not sure any of them are $100 bottles

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 06 10:45 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Wed Oct 06 10:44 pm
The Rube wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
I know at least one is. Did a price check for a customer. Dunno if that's fair price or not, but that's what we were charging.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Wed Oct 06 11:06 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Oct 06 10:45 pm
Steve MN wrote:
Wed Oct 06 10:44 pm
The Rube wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
I know at least one is. Did a price check for a customer. Dunno if that's fair price or not, but that's what we were charging.
I mean that as "It's a good bourbon, but I wouldn't pay three digits for it". If it were in the$70-80 range, probably

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 06 11:10 pm

Gotcha. I know my store is a bit higher prices on some stuff. Indie store. Doesn't mean it's fair, it is what it is.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Vegoe » Thu Oct 07 1:13 am

The Rube wrote:
Steve MN wrote:
I'm still not sure what to think of Kings County -- I like the idea, but just not at the price. I'd rather get barrel pick's of KC, RR and ER than what I've had so far from Kings County.

I get it though that craft bourbon is a tough market. You're starting to almost pay for the production costs, not the quality... much like what happens in Napa and Bourdeaux. When Stagg BTAC started, it was a $40 bottle.

And fair... the Fair comes around once a year before school starts.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Oct 07 10:28 pm

As far as beer, I have one of these cans, (came up in a Twitter thing). Gonna be a very special occasion for me to crack it, though. ;)
http://washingtonbeerblog.com/the-beer-that-broke-tavour-a-50-can-of-barleywine/

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Oct 09 10:01 pm

I don't recommend having more than 1 or 2 at a time, but having my first crack at a Deschutes Abyss Imperial Stout and it is glorious.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Oct 09 10:04 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Oct 09 10:01 pm
I don't recommend having more than 1 or 2 at a time, but having my first crack at a Deschutes Abyss Imperial Stout and it is glorious.
I think I drank all mine out of the cellar last winter but for awhile I had every release from 2012 on. I generally have enjoyed it once it’s about a year old because the licorice flavor in it mellows out enough for me. That said it’s an excellent beer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Oct 09 10:20 pm

Abyss? They are now in 4 packs, as of at least this year.
Wait 3 years. For me, the molasses was just way too strong when the bottle was cracked fresh.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Oct 09 10:30 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Oct 09 10:20 pm
Wait 3 years. For me, the molasses was just way too strong when the bottle was cracked fresh.
I might not be here in 3 years. :wink:

Plus it was in the cooler.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Oct 09 10:37 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Oct 09 10:30 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Oct 09 10:20 pm
I might not be here in 3 years. :wink:

Plus it was in the cooler.
Can you fly it back? Serious question.

TheRube33 on UnTappd