Got Beer?

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Fri Jul 24 3:22 pm

D2D wrote:
Fri Jul 24 12:53 pm
15 small-town Minnesota breweries making big impressions

https://www.startribune.com/15-small-to ... 571878852/
Interesting that Bemidji Brewery and Drastic Measures aren't called out. Maybe that's because Bemidji doesn't distribute to the Cities (or maybe anywhere?) and Drastic Measures only distributes to a few select places in town.

I'll keep Junkyard off this list since Moorhead is probably not really a small town. To me Big Lake is a small town, but it's still pretty much on the fringes of the Metro so it's hard for me to see them on this list.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 25 11:32 pm

*sigh* (a good sigh)

Sampled quite a few beers this past week in MI. One of our group who now lives in NC brought some Sycamore Brewing to share, they were all good. Of course, the MI stuff, including Drifya (Scandinavian word for "snowdrift") which just opened in Marquette MI in Oct. So, including the shutdown, they've basically been open for 7 months or so. Pretty good beer.

I actually drank a lot more cider than usual, due to the hot weather up here (90 yesterday and today in Houghton area). Found some good ones, Virtue Cherry was decent, Totally Roasted by Vandermill was excellent:

Beginning with our traditional hard apple cider we then steep candied pecans. We make our own cinnamon roasted pecans that bring vanilla, cinnamon, and a nuttiness to this product that makes it a truly unique cider. Totally Roasted is semi-.sweet with a tart finish.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Zwak » Thu Jul 30 6:09 pm

Anyone for a French’s Mustard beer? I know @The Rube is out.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/booz ... stard-beer
GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 30 7:45 pm

Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 30 6:09 pm
Anyone for a French’s Mustard beer? I know @The Rube is out.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/booz ... stard-beer
Looks like @Viking has a new thing to try brewing
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 30 9:47 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 30 7:45 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 30 6:09 pm
Anyone for a French’s Mustard beer? I know @The Rube is out.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/booz ... stard-beer
Looks like @Viking has a new thing to try brewing
He has to brew the Cornschlager first, Goddammit!
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Viking
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3045
Joined: Fri Feb 11 3:07 pm
Location: Searching for the elusive beer tree
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 58 times
Age: 51

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Viking » Fri Jul 31 7:40 am

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 30 9:47 pm
davescharf wrote:
Thu Jul 30 7:45 pm
Zwak wrote:
Thu Jul 30 6:09 pm
Anyone for a French’s Mustard beer? I know @The Rube is out.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/booz ... stard-beer
Looks like @Viking has a new thing to try brewing
He has to brew the Cornschlager first, Goddammit!
I'm still tweaking the recipe!!!
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 01 4:14 pm

Went to Back Channel, per usual Saturday routine.
Had their new Bladerade (named after the inventor of the rollerblade, who was from MN): NE Pale Ale w/pineapple, passionfruit, coconut cream (and yes, I got it in a bowl). Very smooth.

Also had the members only tap:
Ignitor (Barrel Aged): imperial stout w/ Vanilla, Biscotti, Cacao
Collaboration with Eagle Park Brewing

That one was amazing.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Norm » Fri Aug 07 8:22 pm

This looks gross. French's Mustard Beer.

https://www.popsugar.com/food/french-mu ... w-47664020

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9221
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times
Age: 48

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Steve MN » Sun Aug 09 12:24 pm

Norm wrote:
Fri Aug 07 8:22 pm
This looks gross. French's Mustard Beer.

https://www.popsugar.com/food/french-mu ... w-47664020
Image

I like beer. I like mustard. Frequently when eating things with mustard on them, I'm drinking beer, and like that too.

None of the above means that I think they should put the mustard IN the beer...
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Sun Aug 09 1:00 pm

The reviews I’ve heard on it is that you really don’t get any of the mustard taste in it.

Even if it were available here it would be a big Nope for me. I hate mustard
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times
Age: 33

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Cowgirl » Sun Aug 09 2:44 pm

I tried an asparagus beer once. It was icky.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 13 10:06 pm

Junkyard’s Tangerine Super Slurp is basically alcoholic Tang with a little tartness.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 13 10:12 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 13 10:06 pm
Junkyard’s Tangerine Super Slurp is basically alcoholic Tang with a little tartness.
I missed out on that. Getting a Black Is Beautiful (hopefully) from Forager this weekend. Buddy is making a mule run tomorrow.

Still working through my MI stuff, and of course, when going to Ansari's (bi-weekly), I get 4 single pint cans to-go, provided I haven't had them before.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 13 10:15 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 13 10:12 pm
davescharf wrote:
Thu Aug 13 10:06 pm
Junkyard’s Tangerine Super Slurp is basically alcoholic Tang with a little tartness.
I missed out on that. Getting a Black Is Beautiful (hopefully) from Forager this weekend. Buddy is making a mule run tomorrow.

Still working through my MI stuff, and of course, when going to Ansari's (bi-weekly), I get 4 single pint cans to-go, provided I haven't had them before.
If I stop on their next run I’ll let you know. I Got to Princeton’s for it about 30 minutes after they announced it was there and about 70% of all 3 they delivered was gone
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 13 10:21 pm

JY moves fast. Vini doesn't really carry it anymore, and I know the stores closest to me usually sell out by the time I get there after work. I'm not too concerned about it, I have a few avenues to secure stuff I desire. ;)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Norm » Tue Aug 18 11:08 am

Schell's Cream Ale seems really weak. Unusual for them.

User avatar
Norm
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3498
Joined: Wed May 13 10:38 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Norm » Wed Aug 26 9:06 pm

Schell's Oktoberfest is outstanding again. What else is new?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Wed Aug 26 9:37 pm

Drastic Measures (Wadena) blowing out their stouts. Got hooked up with a growler of their Nilla Warfare for $20. Collab with Dan and Myles at New Origin Brewing NC. Vanilla wafers, vanilla bean, Maple syrup, and Owly Roasters Kenya coffee.

The beer is crazy insane and that is a crazy cheap price.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Wed Aug 26 9:46 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:37 pm
Drastic Measures (Wadena) blowing out their stouts. Got hooked up with a growler of their Nilla Warfare for $20. Collab with Dan and Myles at New Origin Brewing NC. Vanilla wafers, vanilla bean, Maple syrup, and Owly Roasters Kenya coffee.

The beer is crazy insane and that is a crazy cheap price.
Not related to this beer, but if you can get to Princeton's tomorrow you can enter a raffle for Junkyard's Double Barrel Peanut Butter Bandit. You can do it anytime between 9 and 9. if you win you just need to pick it up sometime over the weekend.

Yes, I know you probably have about 4 avenues to getting hold of it but thought I'd tell you (and anyone else interested) anyways.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Wed Aug 26 9:54 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:46 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:37 pm
Drastic Measures (Wadena) blowing out their stouts. Got hooked up with a growler of their Nilla Warfare for $20. Collab with Dan and Myles at New Origin Brewing NC. Vanilla wafers, vanilla bean, Maple syrup, and Owly Roasters Kenya coffee.

The beer is crazy insane and that is a crazy cheap price.
Not related to this beer, but if you can get to Princeton's tomorrow you can enter a raffle for Junkyard's Double Barrel Peanut Butter Bandit. You can do it anytime between 9 and 9. if you win you just need to pick it up sometime over the weekend.

Yes, I know you probably have about 4 avenues to getting hold of it but thought I'd tell you (and anyone else interested) anyways.
Not even gonna try. I half-thought about driving up there on Sat (or Fri night) and saw all the info/comments in the beer groups....not even worth the chance. I'll just hope to score a Central Waters Black Gold ticket this weekend.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3400
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Karlsson » Wed Aug 26 11:47 pm

Tried Exile Brewing's Zoltan tonight. It's alright. Good for hot weather.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 27 9:45 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:46 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:37 pm
Drastic Measures (Wadena) blowing out their stouts. Got hooked up with a growler of their Nilla Warfare for $20. Collab with Dan and Myles at New Origin Brewing NC. Vanilla wafers, vanilla bean, Maple syrup, and Owly Roasters Kenya coffee.

The beer is crazy insane and that is a crazy cheap price.
Not related to this beer, but if you can get to Princeton's tomorrow you can enter a raffle for Junkyard's Double Barrel Peanut Butter Bandit. You can do it anytime between 9 and 9. if you win you just need to pick it up sometime over the weekend.

Yes, I know you probably have about 4 avenues to getting hold of it but thought I'd tell you (and anyone else interested) anyways.
Sounds like opening price on the secondary is about $500, which means it'll settle at about $150ish (IMO).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Aug 27 11:31 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Aug 27 9:45 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:46 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Aug 26 9:37 pm
Drastic Measures (Wadena) blowing out their stouts. Got hooked up with a growler of their Nilla Warfare for $20. Collab with Dan and Myles at New Origin Brewing NC. Vanilla wafers, vanilla bean, Maple syrup, and Owly Roasters Kenya coffee.

The beer is crazy insane and that is a crazy cheap price.
Not related to this beer, but if you can get to Princeton's tomorrow you can enter a raffle for Junkyard's Double Barrel Peanut Butter Bandit. You can do it anytime between 9 and 9. if you win you just need to pick it up sometime over the weekend.

Yes, I know you probably have about 4 avenues to getting hold of it but thought I'd tell you (and anyone else interested) anyways.
Sounds like opening price on the secondary is about $500, which means it'll settle at about $150ish (IMO).
Work sucked today so I never left the house. Not a big deal to me or I’d have found 20 minutes to go
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 27 11:32 pm

I got my Drastic Nilla Warfare. I am happy.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 29 5:29 pm

Back Channel now has beer slushies (shaved ice fruit beers). They are delicious. :)
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8593
Joined: Fri Feb 11 2:18 pm
Location: PWC
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 98 times
Age: 53

Re: Got Beer?

Post by sunbone » Sat Aug 29 6:57 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 5:29 pm
Back Channel now has beer slushies (shaved ice fruit beers). They are delicious. :)
Talk about beer makers jumping the shark. 😂

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 29 7:02 pm

sunbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29 6:57 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 5:29 pm
Back Channel now has beer slushies (shaved ice fruit beers). They are delicious. :)
Talk about beer makers jumping the shark. 😂
Junkyard had them last year. BC is doing it because it's (normally) State Fair time, aka Gimmick Beer Time. Lift Bridge is serving the Mini-donut beer at their brewery. :wink:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
sunbone
Golden
Golden
Posts: 8593
Joined: Fri Feb 11 2:18 pm
Location: PWC
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 98 times
Age: 53

Re: Got Beer?

Post by sunbone » Sat Aug 29 7:26 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 7:02 pm
sunbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29 6:57 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 5:29 pm
Back Channel now has beer slushies (shaved ice fruit beers). They are delicious. :)
Talk about beer makers jumping the shark. 😂
Junkyard had them last year. BC is doing it because it's (normally) State Fair time, aka Gimmick Beer Time. Lift Bridge is serving the Mini-donut beer at their brewery. :wink:
Good to know that other breweries are also screwing up. 👍

User avatar
Bigbeer
Veteran
Posts: 7681
Joined: Wed Jan 11 2:53 pm
Location: Hudson, WI
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Bigbeer » Sun Aug 30 12:53 pm

sunbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29 7:26 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 7:02 pm
sunbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29 6:57 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 5:29 pm
Back Channel now has beer slushies (shaved ice fruit beers). They are delicious. :)
Talk about beer makers jumping the shark. 😂
Junkyard had them last year. BC is doing it because it's (normally) State Fair time, aka Gimmick Beer Time. Lift Bridge is serving the Mini-donut beer at their brewery. :wink:
Good to know that other breweries are also screwing up. 👍
Making beer that sells is “screwing up”...?....cause they definitely sell. Plus with the f’d up MN liquor laws they have to come up with a way to have offerings that a non-beer drinker would like since they can’t offer wine or mixed drinks (or even beer from other breweries).
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 30 3:21 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Sun Aug 30 12:53 pm
sunbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29 7:26 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 7:02 pm
sunbone wrote:
Sat Aug 29 6:57 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Aug 29 5:29 pm
Back Channel now has beer slushies (shaved ice fruit beers). They are delicious. :)
Talk about beer makers jumping the shark. 😂
Junkyard had them last year. BC is doing it because it's (normally) State Fair time, aka Gimmick Beer Time. Lift Bridge is serving the Mini-donut beer at their brewery. :wink:
Good to know that other breweries are also screwing up. 👍
Making beer that sells is “screwing up”...?....cause they definitely sell. Plus with the f’d up MN liquor laws they have to come up with a way to have offerings that a non-beer drinker would like since they can’t offer wine or mixed drinks (or even beer from other breweries).
This. There is a reason Blank Brewing made a beer called Your Favorite IPA On Tap. And Do You Guys Sell Wine, My Girlfriend Doesn't Like Beer :lol:
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 30 6:11 pm

Central Waters Black Gold just sold out within 30 seconds. Ugh. I had it....then lost it. Thankfully a couple friends got tix, so I will by a regular off of them.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 31 11:54 pm

This just in: Surly workers want to unionize.
This should be interesting.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9221
Joined: Fri Jan 25 9:16 am
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 121 times
Age: 48

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Steve MN » Wed Sep 02 11:12 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Aug 31 11:54 pm
This just in: Surly workers want to unionize.
This should be interesting.
And an update. The beer hall is closing indefinitely effective November 2
"My battery is low and it's getting dark"

"Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but, the Bible says 'love your enemy'" - Frank Sinatra

"Remember, there is no I in team"
"No, but there are six in 'Asinine Platitude Quoting Idiot'"

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8857
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Sep 02 11:58 am


User avatar
gopherguy13
Golden
Golden
Posts: 20378
Joined: Sat Oct 02 8:53 pm
Location: Maple Grove
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 64 times
Age: 29

Re: Got Beer?

Post by gopherguy13 » Wed Sep 02 12:21 pm

Wow. Wonder if they'll look to relocate and scale down their beer hall? Or just wait the pandemic out and reopen in the same space?
Ease your mind, have a banana or two.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm

Went to Birch’s for lunch today. Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic. I could get used to these midweek lunches out if it weren’t for work getting in the way
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
D2D
Veteran
Posts: 2832
Joined: Wed Oct 24 12:48 am
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 128 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by D2D » Wed Sep 02 6:44 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm
Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic.
Some of these names for beer make it seem improbable that they even taste like beer.
D2D - Longtime GMH season ticket holder

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Wed Sep 02 8:48 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Sep 02 6:44 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm
Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic.
Some of these names for beer make it seem improbable that they even taste like beer.
This is basically a stout with cocoa and a bunch of peppers. Tastes exactly like spicy stout with a little bit of chocolate taste it, but still definitely tastes like beer
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Wed Sep 02 9:46 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Sep 02 6:44 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm
Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic.
Some of these names for beer make it seem improbable that they even taste like beer.
Some breweries just like to get creative with the names. Evil Twin is known for their odd names, same with Barrel Theory. They have fun with it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8857
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Sep 02 10:04 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm
Went to Birch’s for lunch today. Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic. I could get used to these midweek lunches out if it weren’t for work getting in the way
Out in Long lake? Biked past it. Might need to check it out.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Wed Sep 02 10:05 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Sep 02 10:04 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm
Went to Birch’s for lunch today. Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic. I could get used to these midweek lunches out if it weren’t for work getting in the way
Out in Long lake? Biked past it. Might need to check it out.
I haven't been, and I have no excuse for that since it's about 15 minutes away at best, but I've heard nothing but good about it.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Karlsson
Veteran
Posts: 3400
Joined: Sun Feb 08 10:26 am
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 206 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Karlsson » Wed Sep 02 10:10 pm

I totally read it as Burch, as in Burch Steak. Was all sorts of surprised they started brewing. :mrgreen:

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Sep 03 7:32 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Sep 02 10:05 pm
gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Sep 02 10:04 pm
davescharf wrote:
Wed Sep 02 2:17 pm
Went to Birch’s for lunch today. Their Mexican Chocolate Milk Stout was fantastic. I could get used to these midweek lunches out if it weren’t for work getting in the way
Out in Long lake? Biked past it. Might need to check it out.
I haven't been, and I have no excuse for that since it's about 15 minutes away at best, but I've heard nothing but good about it.
I didn’t even think about the steakhouse when I posted this.

Their beer isn’t anything that will blow you away but it’s good. I like the food but they are a little pricey
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
gopherguy06
Veteran
Posts: 8857
Joined: Thu Mar 10 10:05 pm
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Sep 03 10:39 am

Is Birch's more fancy or somewhere you could stop and bike to? I know itis a supper club and brewhouse.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Sep 03 10:57 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Sep 03 10:39 am
Is Birch's more fancy or somewhere you could stop and bike to? I know itis a supper club and brewhouse.
You can stop and bike to it. It isn’t overly fancy
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 03 10:11 pm

Finally cracked the first of my 2020 Perrin's No Rules Vietnamese Porter (thanks to melmac for muling). Still effing delicious. Aged or not, this beer holds its own against the best, IMO. I've had the last 4 (?) years of this, and it's a top 5 IMO.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Thu Sep 10 10:04 pm

Drekker/Back Channel released their Flash Kick NE DIPA this week. From the sounds of it, it went VERY quickly in stores. I got the last 4 pack at Vinifera today, at 5:30pm, and I was told I got lucky.

Haven't tried it yet, looking forward to it tomorrow night.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Mon Sep 14 10:01 pm

Besides Forager, what other breweries should I visit in Rochester? Is Little Thistle worth a visit?

Unfortunately we won’t be able to hit Decorah due to time otherwise I’d probably go to TG and Pulpit Rock.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Mon Sep 14 10:03 pm

davescharf wrote:
Mon Sep 14 10:01 pm
Besides Forager, what other breweries should I visit in Rochester? Is Little Thistle worth a visit?

Unfortunately we won’t be able to hit Decorah due to time otherwise I’d probably go to TG and Pulpit Rock.
Little Thistle, Thesis, and LTS have all gotten great reviews in the beer groups.

Avoid Kinney Creek at all costs.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Mon Sep 14 10:05 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Sep 14 10:03 pm
davescharf wrote:
Mon Sep 14 10:01 pm
Besides Forager, what other breweries should I visit in Rochester? Is Little Thistle worth a visit?

Unfortunately we won’t be able to hit Decorah due to time otherwise I’d probably go to TG and Pulpit Rock.
Little Thistle, Thesis, and LTS have all gotten great reviews in the beer groups.

Avoid Kinney Creek at all costs.
Yeah I know all about Kinney Creek
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Zwak
Golden
Golden
Posts: 10352
Joined: Mon Nov 13 6:09 pm
Location: South St. Paul
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 158 times
Age: 54

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Zwak » Tue Sep 15 7:47 pm

GPL's official source of trivia.

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Mon Oct 12 10:10 pm

Should probably check in here...

Surly Fourteen, their anniversary beer, dropped this week. Barleywine (American style). It was okay. A little sweeter than I prefer, I've had better, but it was worth trying.
Founders brought back Big Luscious after a 5 (?) year hiatus (at least for distro). Chocolate Raspberry Stout. VERY much a dessert beer, One-and-done at this point. I bought 2 4pks, will prob sit on my 2nd 4pk for a few months to let it cool down a bit. 4pk (12 oz bottles) is about $9.

Darkness is dropping on Halloween, the variants in December from what I hear.

The new brewery in Hopkins seems to be on hold, given the lack of anything going on in that space as far as construction. Many are wondering if it's even going to happen.

Ineffable Brewing in Burnsville opens up this weekend, a couple of ex-LTD employees are part of the crew. Tiny, tiny, space, should be interesting to see how that goes.

Finally, thanks to a friend, I did secure a Central Waters Black Gold and the Rye BA Black Gold ($80 total), which currently is a heck of a deal. Set of 4 regulars + Rye was $100 retail, then the secondary market started happening...
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times
Age: 33

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Oct 12 10:18 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 12 10:10 pm
Should probably check in here...

Surly Fourteen, their anniversary beer, dropped this week. Barleywine (American style). It was okay. A little sweeter than I prefer, I've had better, but it was worth trying.
Founders brought back Big Luscious after a 5 (?) year hiatus (at least for distro). Chocolate Raspberry Stout. VERY much a dessert beer, One-and-done at this point. I bought 2 4pks, will prob sit on my 2nd 4pk for a few months to let it cool down a bit. 4pk (12 oz bottles) is about $9.

Darkness is dropping on Halloween, the variants in December from what I hear.

The new brewery in Hopkins seems to be on hold, given the lack of anything going on in that space as far as construction. Many are wondering if it's even going to happen.

Ineffable Brewing in Burnsville opens up this weekend, a couple of ex-LTD employees are part of the crew. Tiny, tiny, space, should be interesting to see how that goes.

Finally, thanks to a friend, I did secure a Central Waters Black Gold and the Rye BA Black Gold ($80 total), which currently is a heck of a deal. Set of 4 regulars + Rye was $100 retail, then the secondary market started happening...
Google maps shows it where Nutmeg was...is...are they out of biz or did they move or what?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Mon Oct 12 10:23 pm

Nutmeg is done. Ineffable is indeed in that space.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Posts: 7869
Joined: Thu Feb 24 12:43 pm
Location: Trying to pee a goal!
Has liked: 400 times
Been liked: 499 times
Age: 33

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Cowgirl » Mon Oct 12 10:25 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 12 10:23 pm
Nutmeg is done. Ineffable is indeed in that space.
Will it still be a restaurant too?

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Mon Oct 12 10:37 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Mon Oct 12 10:25 pm
The Rube wrote:
Mon Oct 12 10:23 pm
Nutmeg is done. Ineffable is indeed in that space.
Will it still be a restaurant too?
Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like beer only, the 2 owners, the brewer, and then a server (the latter two are the ex-LTD people I know). At least to start with. I think it's rather daring to open just before winter with all the limitations, so I think they are going to keep it limited operation so they can survive and establish themselves.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Oct 17 5:20 pm

Got a preview of this year's Back Channel Soviet Slayer (Russian Imperial Stout). It's fire.

I actually had more free beer than purchased beer today at Back Channel. It's good to be a member and know people :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: Got Beer?

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Oct 20 1:38 pm

Did a curbside pickup from my local Top Ten (formerly Haskells). They had a special on Furious, 12pk of cans for $12 last week. Cracked one last night, now I know why... Canned on 04/24/20 - a nearly 6 month old IPA? Tastes worse than the 'clones' I tired to do homebrewing it for awhile. There is almost zero hop flavor, and has a sweet taste to it. Looks like I am dumping 11 cans of Furious.

Blackstack continues to produce liquid gold, everything I have had from them has been awesome. However, seeing $18 or more 4-pks is getting a little old and tiresome for my wallet... I'd love to see them do a 12-pk mix, 3 cans of 4 different IPAs, for $26-$28, but I don't think they'd ever do that.

Had my first and second Lupulin Lateralus Saturday night, during possibly our last bonfire of the year, and drank it while listening to Lateralus. It was magical. Fantastic beer. (Cocoa, Coconut, and Vanilla Imperial Stout). Not to mention Lateralus being in my top 3 albums of all time, but that is for a different thread. Surprised they can get away with the name, granted it is beer and not music, but the test and imagery is all very Tool-esque with no mention of the band at all.

Not sure if I am going to bother with getting darkness this year. The last vintage I had (cannot remember the year) tasted more like soy sauce than an imperial stout, was tough to finish. I have last years sitting in my beer fridge staring at me, and now I almost have an aversion to drink it based on last experience.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Tue Oct 20 2:54 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Oct 20 1:38 pm

Not sure if I am going to bother with getting darkness this year. The last vintage I had (cannot remember the year) tasted more like soy sauce than an imperial stout, was tough to finish. I have last years sitting in my beer fridge staring at me, and now I almost have an aversion to drink it based on last experience.
I cracked open a 2015 Darkness a couple weeks ago and it was really good. I brought a 2016 to Bayfield with me last weekend but didn't get to drinking it because I picked up a couple other things while up there. Maybe the others haven't held up but most of the ones I've had recently have been fine.

My neighbor got me a bottle of Lupulin's BA Dopplebock that just won a Bronze at GABF. I know they're known for their IPAs but they've made some pretty good lagers recently.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times
Age: 41
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Vegoe » Tue Oct 20 4:26 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Oct 20 1:38 pm
Not sure if I am going to bother with getting darkness this year. The last vintage I had (cannot remember the year) tasted more like soy sauce than an imperial stout, was tough to finish. I have last years sitting in my beer fridge staring at me, and now I almost have an aversion to drink it based on last experience.
I'm probably going to start easing back on the number that I keep in the basement, but I've had the 2018 and 2019 in the last month and they've been fine. I'd have to think it was just a one off bad bottle. I had a 2012 when we got through our first week of distance learning, that was fine back then too.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Tue Oct 20 6:55 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Tue Oct 20 4:26 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
Tue Oct 20 1:38 pm
Not sure if I am going to bother with getting darkness this year. The last vintage I had (cannot remember the year) tasted more like soy sauce than an imperial stout, was tough to finish. I have last years sitting in my beer fridge staring at me, and now I almost have an aversion to drink it based on last experience.
I'm probably going to start easing back on the number that I keep in the basement, but I've had the 2018 and 2019 in the last month and they've been fine. I'd have to think it was just a one off bad bottle. I had a 2012 when we got through our first week of distance learning, that was fine back then too.
I’m definitely trying to thin the cellar. It’s basically Darkness, Bourbon County, Black Butte Anniversary, and Abyss now.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Tue Oct 20 9:37 pm

As for beer names, it depends on who's gonna tell, and who's gonna pursue. Barrel Theory has stuff called Shooter McGavin, Junkyard has Vince Vega, and no problems so far.

As far as Darkness, I just traded this year's Central Waters Black Gold for a 2012 Darkness and a 2018 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It's generally regarded that 2012 is the best Darkness year at this point, it still holds up. 2015 is #2, and 2013/14 are in a close race for #3 best. I had a 2012 a couple months ago, and I swear it could still go 2-3 years more.

Keeping my cellar (meaning fridge) at a reasonable volume. Max is 30 bombers and a couple 4 packs. I'm at about 15 and a 4 pk right now for aging. Decided to age the Founders Big Luscious due to sweetness. It needs to mellow out.

Finally, Falling Knife bottled their Fun Mom Shoulders (pastry stout). It's friggin' awesome.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Tue Feb 09 8:49 am
Location: NE Mpls
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 111 times
Age: 41
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Vegoe » Wed Oct 21 9:27 am

The Rube wrote:
Tue Oct 20 9:37 pm
Finally, Falling Knife bottled their Fun Mom Shoulders (pastry stout). It's friggin' awesome.
I just bought one this week... are you saying I should have more than one of those?

I have multiple years of Darkness, Abyss, BCBS, Expedition Stout, Pentagram and then a handful of randoms like Double Shot Double Black, World Wide Stout, Marshall Zhukov, Even More Jesus, Stone Imperial Stouts, Black Note and some Russian River Consecration bottles... I know, I know... I should probaby get another FMS.

User avatar
g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Posts: 6410
Joined: Sun Jan 21 12:39 pm
Location: Killin' em in Kato!
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 74 times
Age: 47

Re: Got Beer?

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Oct 21 10:01 am

Speaking of dark beer season...Schells announced what this year's Snowstorm is, an Oat Stout. Also, I am happy that their Fort Road Porter is back on shelves. Another solid dark beer for the winter season.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

User avatar
fightclub30
Golden
Golden
Posts: 3706
Joined: Mon Apr 18 9:45 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 51 times
Age: 34

Re: Got Beer?

Post by fightclub30 » Wed Oct 21 2:32 pm

The Rube wrote:
Tue Oct 20 9:37 pm
As far as Darkness, I just traded this year's Central Waters Black Gold for a 2012 Darkness and a 2018 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. It's generally regarded that 2012 is the best Darkness year at this point, it still holds up. 2015 is #2, and 2013/14 are in a close race for #3 best. I had a 2012 a couple months ago, and I swear it could still go 2-3 years more.
I have a Surly Syx still (was by far my favorite anniversary beer they did, SeVIIn was good too... haven't bought any after eleven)
For Darkness, I have a 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019 still in my fridge. I almost always bought 2; one to drink right away and 1 to save. So I guess it was either the 2014 or the 2019 I had last year that I had an issue with. I should probably drink that 2013 soon in that case.

Other than the Syx, I'd be open to trading if someone had a particular connection to any specific year. I used to save the empty bottles too because the artwork was cool, but I recently recycled them as my wife was sick of the basement "looking like a frat house."

I've also got a double shot double black bomber, I think there are 2 Odell Lugene stragglers back there too... Other than that I don't age too many beers. Barrel Aged stuff is NOT for my tastes. Most of the dark beer I have enjoyed recently (Lateralus included) comes in cans so I have just been getting those.

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Wed Oct 21 2:45 pm

The 2013 was still pretty good earlier this year.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Wed Oct 21 9:50 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Wed Oct 21 9:27 am
The Rube wrote:
Tue Oct 20 9:37 pm
Finally, Falling Knife bottled their Fun Mom Shoulders (pastry stout). It's friggin' awesome.
I just bought one this week... are you saying I should have more than one of those?

I have multiple years of Darkness, Abyss, BCBS, Expedition Stout, Pentagram and then a handful of randoms like Double Shot Double Black, World Wide Stout, Marshall Zhukov, Even More Jesus, Stone Imperial Stouts, Black Note and some Russian River Consecration bottles... I know, I know... I should probaby get another FMS.
Ansari's had it on tap about 3 weeks ago for a charity event, I had no idea that FK was going to bottle it. I bought 2 (one for now, one for later). They just released their barleywine, also, had a friend pick up a bottle for me. Anxious to try it...sometime in the future. ;)

And currently awaiting the results for Toppling Goliath's email lotto for Kentucky Breakfast Brunch Stout. $100 retail (12oz bottle) and goes for 4x that on secondary. I never have had it, so yeah, gonna solo-dome that mofo.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Oct 24 3:30 pm

Hit up Ineffable Brewing today. Only 5 of their beers are on tap, the rest are still gearing up. Had a flight of 4, and then a full pour of their Hefe. The hefe was a little strong on the banana/clove for my tastes, but not bad. Oatmeal stout was thin, the white stout was very good (esp if you like coffee), the cran sour was a perfect tartness, and the apple sour was a tad muted. They said they plan to have up to 14 taps, and are still deciding when to get their full kitchen going. My friends and I agree it's pretty much LTD South, esp given that the brewer brewed at LTD previously.

Also, KBS Mackinac Fudge hit the market this week.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Oct 24 6:47 pm

Just cracked a Prairie Barrel Aged Peanut Butter Bomb!, the last one that the store had. Holy. Fing. Sh*. This is fire.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Sat Nov 07 1:15 pm

Very interesting that not a single post on Surly Darkness and it's been out for a week now. Says a lot. This year's wasn't as good as in the past...there's a bigger bitterness and anise type flavor that's very noticeable this year and it wasn't as enjoyable. I'm hoping it will smooth out a bit with age, but generally I like fresh Darkness a lot.

I bought a 4 pack of Soft Pants last night (a FairState/Barrel Theory Pastry Stout clocking in at 14%) and it's a delicious beer. The cinnamon (which I'm not a big fan of as an adjunct) is really well balanced in it and whatever other spices they added gives it a unique taste.

Speaking of FairState I was happy to find a 4 pack of their Smores anniversary collab with Forager earlier today. Hadn't seen that anywhere in ages.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sat Nov 07 2:17 pm

This year's Darkness is all the raisin. I actually drain poured 1/3rd of a bottle. I have a backup, and hope that time mellows it out.

On a related note, picked up a 2015-2018 Darkness set from a guy for $30 total :shock: He's moving or remodeling or something, and he's just blowing out his cellar, due to having too much beer and doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

Also cashed in #4-5 of my 6 free crowlers (Doppelbock) from Back Channel (membership benefit) today.

Everything is turning up Milhouse on this fine November Saturday. :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 08 8:28 pm

More good news. A buddy is in IL/IN for a B double E double R U N, and he found some Schramm's Mead, and is also getting Dark Lord (3 Floyds) and some Revolution Brewing Deth's Tar.

Win.

I swear I've provided his income in the last couple months, but it's worth it. :D
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
Greyeagle
Moderator
Posts: 19742
Joined: Wed Apr 09 12:12 pm
Location: Capital City
Has liked: 981 times
Been liked: 665 times
Age: 54

Re: Got Beer?

Post by Greyeagle » Fri Nov 13 9:51 am

Thought the GPL beer connoisseurs (snobs? 🙃) would appreciate this. :mrgreen:
Attachments
96644C7A-E68B-46B0-A070-3E3CED4D8101.jpeg
Row The Boat! Ski-U-MAH! Go Gophers!

User avatar
The Rube
Golden
Golden
Posts: 31842
Joined: Sun Apr 10 11:01 am
Location: Chez Rube
Has liked: 215 times
Been liked: 261 times
Contact:

Re: Got Beer?

Post by The Rube » Sun Nov 22 5:11 pm

Back Channel's Soviet Slayer (and BA version) release is next week. The BA is oak and cognac aged, and very delicious. Noon release, limit one,
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

User avatar
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Posts: 9974
Joined: Fri Feb 11 6:22 am
Location: Plymouth
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 136 times
Age: 45

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Sun Nov 22 5:16 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Nov 22 5:11 pm
Back Channel's Soviet Slayer (and BA version) release is next week. The BA is oak and cognac aged, and very delicious. Noon release, limit one,
Next week as in Friday or over the weekend itself? If they really wanted to do this right they'd sell them on Feb 22nd every year.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

Post Reply