Got Beer?

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Sat Jun 22 5:34 pm

Wife wanted to come to the Sheeple Factory for her birthday dinner. The Weizenbock on tap is absolutely delicious. It’s got all the caramel and malty characteristics but also with a bit of a banana bread type aroma and finish. I would have had a couple of them if they weren’t 8.5%
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Sat Jun 22 5:46 pm

Went to the brewery in Prior Lake today. Had a couple solid beers and really liked their Vanilla Porter. Cool little spot there.

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 119 times

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 22 10:56 pm

Had a nice little bottle share tonight. Some great beers were cracked.

Skipped out on the Barrel Theory release today, was planning on being there at 5am. I would have missed out on at least one of the three bottles being released. 150 people in line at 3am.

Buddy scored a couple of barleywines (Will The Conqueror, and WtC w/Vanilla And Cinnamon) from Lupulin, though. Can't wait to try those.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Jun 23 8:58 am

Getting in line at 3 am or camping out doesn't sound like fun for beer or really anything. Plenty of other beers out there which don't require that which are pretty solid too

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jun 23 9:07 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Jun 23 8:58 am
Getting in line at 3 am or camping out doesn't sound like fun for beer or really anything. Plenty of other beers out there which don't require that which are pretty solid too
If you can actually tailgate it's pretty fun. Also, if you can keep your spot in line once you establish your spot (and then go sleep in your car/etc), that's good, too. However, at BT that's not really an option. The previous reasons are why I don't mind doing that for Forager releases. You always run into people you know, you do a little grilling, some bottle-sharing, good times.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

melmac
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by melmac » Sun Jun 23 2:03 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sun Jun 23 9:07 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Jun 23 8:58 am
If you can actually tailgate it's pretty fun. Also, if you can keep your spot in line once you establish your spot (and then go sleep in your car/etc), that's good, too. However, at BT that's not really an option. The previous reasons are why I don't mind doing that for Forager releases. You always run into people you know, you do a little grilling, some bottle-sharing, good times.
We did our first overnight in April for No Rules. Already looking forward to next year.
I was told there would be no math.

Someday I'll win...
Charter member of the GPL Convoy Crew

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Tue Jun 25 9:32 pm

Picked up my BT bottles today. They had Second on tap, and it was very good. 5/5.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jun 25 9:47 pm

Getting pumped for my Junkyard/Drastic Measures trip tomorrow.

Hit up Unmapped today.....ALL THE STERILE. It was like a lab-testing area. No character. Had a black IPA, it was a'ight.
"What'll you have?"
"Dunno, never been here before."
"Okay, just lemme know when you decide."

I was the ONLY one in there at the time. Maybe talk about your offerings? Ask what I like? Something? They had 12 options, which was nice, I'll give them that. For all the plants that DM has, this place took away a piece of decoration. Let's put it that way.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 27 2:10 pm

Back home from Moorhead. That drive today sucked. Between the storms and mists from all the semi-trucks, visibility was really sketchy.

Drastic Measures: decent space, good location. Had a flight of various NE IPAs and a stout, all were good. Unfortunately, they only had about 6 shirts (not styles; shirts) and none were my size. Also, they prefill growlers/crowlers, and no crowlers were left and I didn't want to deal with growlers. As for the town, the town sucks. Half of the main stretch in downtown were vacant storefronts, and the stores that were there had nothing to offer (shoe shop, hardware store).

Junkyard: Great space, good acoustics for music (a blues/folk singer played last night, she was easy to listen to), and pretty big patio. LOTS of shirts/styles and crowlers. Only one beer was not available in the Cities due to a massive delivery yesterday, so got half dozen of that one (coffee stout). They also debuted their beer slushie machine, and put their strawberry cream soda sour in there. That was tasty.

Had a blonde ale, a couple NE IPAs, and the peanut stout. Sampled their west coast IPA, and yeah, it was west coasty. Not for me.

I definitely would like to make the trip again, this time with a couple people and make a weekend out of it or something. There are a couple other breweries in Fargo that I skipped this time around.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jun 27 2:57 pm

I’ll probably be headed to Junkyard when we go to Winnipeg in August. I have to hit up Princeton’s tonight for some other beer so I’ll see what other crowlers they have left

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jun 27 2:58 pm

I’m not sure how many GPLers are going g this year but ABR is on October 19th this year. I doubt the weather will be hotter than hades like last year

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Thu Jun 27 5:07 pm

So Junkyard has their own beer slushie machine now? Last summer they had a special event with a beer foam made from their raspberry sour (might have been the first Super Slurp?), but they brought in somebody from an ice cream type company to help make that happen.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jun 27 7:40 pm

kmd wrote:
Thu Jun 27 5:07 pm
So Junkyard has their own beer slushie machine now? Last summer they had a special event with a beer foam made from their raspberry sour (might have been the first Super Slurp?), but they brought in somebody from an ice cream type company to help make that happen.
Yep. I didn't know it was the first day they had it until I got back to the hotel and saw them posting about it. It was actually rather busy there, so no real small talk to be had with the staffers.

I knew about ABR, but as of Mon, don't know when tix go on sale. Should be soon.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Cowgirl » Thu Jun 27 11:38 pm

davescharf wrote:
Thu Jun 27 2:58 pm
I’m not sure how many GPLers are going g this year but ABR is on October 19th this year. I doubt the weather will be hotter than hades like last year
It’s on a hockey night. That could make for some fun pregaming....but I wouldn’t want to risk getting yelled at for cheering extra loud...😆
Why the change to a month later?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 28 10:08 pm

Stopped into LTD today for their Cold Press Irish Dry Stout firkin. It was indeed all the coffee. Bought 2 crowlers of their Double Raspberry Milkshake IPAs, had a staffer set them in the back cooler until I left, so they would keep cold/not sold.

Another staffer accidentally sold them. Oops. Owners were there, found out when I cashed out, freaked out. I told them no worries, not a big deal. Well, they thought it was, and dug around. Found one DRM crowler, and then added 4 "mystery" crowlers. Apparently, someone stocked about 2 dozen crowlers that weren't labeled. No idea what style/etc they are. "Take 'em, they are free." I tried to refuse, thought it was too generous. They insisted. So gave one to the Crazy Blonde SCSU fan that some of you know (who had joined me at LTD), and I guess I'll be playing some roulette tomorrow night.

Also, hit up a Japanese whiskey tasting/class tonight with Dillo. Cost $20, tasted 7 whiskeys. It was very interesting learning about how it works over there for what they can label as whiskey, the hype train/supply, and different ways they distill (a couple were distilled with rice involved).

The list:
Tottori Blended Oak
Tottori Ex-Bourbon Cask
Ohishi Brandy (Ace Private Cask)
Ohishi Sherry (Ace Private Cask)
Kurayoshi 8 Year Old
Kurayoshi 12 Year Old
Kurayoshi 18 Year Old

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Viking
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Viking » Fri Jun 28 10:12 pm

How was the Ohishi Sherry?
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

What a terrible place is a pub with no beer.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jun 28 10:15 pm

Viking wrote:
Fri Jun 28 10:12 pm
How was the Ohishi Sherry?
That was VERY good. Really sweet smell, smooth, and subtle sweet finish. I think my fave was the 8YO. The 12YO was a little harsh, and the 18YO ranked juuuuussssst below the 8YO. Both were mellow and smooth, very nice smell to them. Was thinking about buying the 8YO, as it was only about $80. I still might. If I do....I think you know where it will be in a couple weeks....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

GO4
Rookie
Has liked: 1 time

Post by GO4 » Sat Jun 29 12:39 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 22 10:56 pm

Skipped out on the Barrel Theory release today, was planning on being there at 5am. I would have missed out on at least one of the three bottles being released. 150 people in line at 3am.
You should have gone! I got there at 5:25 and we were roughly 170th in line. Had a good share in line.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jun 29 3:20 pm

GO4 wrote:
Sat Jun 29 12:39 pm
The Rube wrote:
Sat Jun 22 10:56 pm

You should have gone! I got there at 5:25 and we were roughly 170th in line. Had a good share in line.
Knowing the people that WERE there, I have zero doubt about that!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 04 12:06 am

https://kstp.com/business/north-shore-b ... ?cat=12196

MN laws being stupid. Go figure. Not the first brewery it's happened to. I think the last one was Fulton.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by sunbone » Thu Jul 04 5:20 pm

When did Three Floyd’s start distributing in Minnesota?

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 04 6:25 pm

sunbone wrote:
Thu Jul 04 5:20 pm
They're finally here?? That's been a rumor for quite a while now. I haven't seen them in the west metro.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by sunbone » Thu Jul 04 6:42 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Jul 04 6:25 pm
sunbone wrote:
They're finally here?? That's been a rumor for quite a while now. I haven't seen them in the west metro.....
Liquor Barrel in Golden Valley had Alpha King today. Guy there wasn’t sure when that started or when other beers would be available.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Thu Jul 04 7:39 pm

sunbone wrote:
Thu Jul 04 6:42 pm
The Rube wrote:
sunbone wrote:
Liquor Barrel in Golden Valley had Alpha King today. Guy there wasn’t sure when that started or when other beers would be available.
Princetons said they got Gumballhead and Alpha King

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Jul 04 7:57 pm

Yawn. When Robert The Bruce hits...then I'll get excited.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 05 7:33 am

Zombie Dust or GTFO.

Viking
Golden
Golden

Post by Viking » Fri Jul 05 7:50 am

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jul 05 7:33 am
Zombie Dust or GTFO.
Arctic Panzer Wolf is way better than Zombie Dust.
Bene dic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisae, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi: et praesta per invocationem nominis tui sancti, ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corporis, et animae tutelam percipiant.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 05 8:00 am

Viking wrote:
Fri Jul 05 7:50 am
Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jul 05 7:33 am
Zombie Dust or GTFO.
Arctic Panzer Wolf is way better than Zombie Dust.
Yes it is.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 05 8:06 am

False. Panzer Wolf is wayyyyy too malty.

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 130 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by Vegoe » Fri Jul 05 9:52 am

The Rube wrote:
sunbone wrote:
It'll be limited drops of distribution here and there. Apparently they were trying to keep it on the down low for expectations. Hopefully we get a variety of stuff every couple months. Holding out hope we get Zombie Dust and some of the seasonal brews someday.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 05 9:29 pm

They have a built-in market, given that Todd is there. I just don't care much for Alpha, Zombie, or Gumball. I'll buy Robert or Arctic all day long, though.

Pretty sure I'm getting a BT Threat Level Midnight from a buddy, he has a couple extra. Was at Back Channel yesterday, ended up seeing a bunch of the beer crowd I knew. They have a really solid pilsner on tap right now.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Slap Shot
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 188 times

Post by Slap Shot » Fri Jul 12 2:57 pm

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-li ... mpionships

7 Minnesota breweries win medals at U.S. Open Beer Championships
Seven breweries from Minnesota came away with 12 medals at this year's U.S. Open Beer Championships.

More than 7,000 beers from across the world were sent in and blind-tested by judges from the U.S., England and Canada in Oxford, Ohio, with the winners unveiled earlier this week.
Here are the Minnesota winners

Specialty Beer/Anything Goes

Gold: Cookies and Cream Milk Stout – Waconia Brewing.

Soft Drinks

Bronze: Mini Donut Cream Soda – Lift Bridge Brewing.

Root Beer

Silver: Root Beer – Lift Bridge Brewing.

American Wheat(Light and Dark)

Gold: 4th St Wheat – Foxhole Brewing.

Session Beer

Silver: BLK WLF – Able Seedhouse and Brewery.

Barrel-Aged Strong Stout/Porter

Silver: Barrel Aged Silhouette – Lift Bridge Brewing.

Old Ale / Strong Ale

Silver: Bearded Man – Spilled Grain Brewhouse.

English Barley Wine Ale

Gold: The Hunted – Foxhole Brewhouse.

Berliner Weisse

Silver: Binary Storm – August Schell Brewing.

American Cream Ale

Silver: Knee High – Lakeville Brewing.
Currently under construction.

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Norm » Fri Jul 12 6:54 pm

Interesting that Foxhole won 2 gold medals. Been there once, not going back. They had 1 decent beer in my opinion. Maybe it's me.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 12 9:26 pm

Able has good beer? Been there 2-3 times, blech.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Jul 12 10:28 pm

That is a very unimpressive list to be "award winners".

Bought a pile of crowlers from Lupulin last week. Drinking through them. They brew some damn good beer in Big Lake.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Jul 12 10:31 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Fri Jul 12 10:28 pm
That is a very unimpressive list to be "award winners".

Bought a pile of crowlers from Lupulin last week. Drinking through them. They brew some damn good beer in Big Lake.
I've got Dirty Pete from JY (NE IPA), Padre from Back Channel (Mexican Stout), and prob will bring something from LTD to share next week, for some of you. You know, the Chosen Ones. :D I MIGHT save a Drastic Measures DIPA can, but no guarantees.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sat Jul 13 1:59 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Jul 12 9:26 pm
Able has good beer? Been there 2-3 times, blech.
Yeah the list lost me at Able.

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Jul 13 10:48 am

My hometown represented, yay! (Spilled Grain).

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Jul 13 10:51 am

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Jul 13 10:48 am
My hometown represented, yay! (Spilled Grain).
I really liked that brewery. Good beer, awesome space, good staff. Wish it were a bit closer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 14 11:37 am

Autumn Brew Review tickets will be available starting tomorrow.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Jul 16 1:09 pm

What a wonderful day. Due to not canning last week, the owner of Back Channel told me to come in today, and he'd hook me up, as they were canning today (they are not officially open for business). I got two crowlers each of their NE IPA and Mexican Stout; tried to pay him, and he knew I was going to share them this weekend, so he refused payment. :shock:

Then I got an email from Toppling Goliath for a chance to get Mornin' Delight ticket. I lost out on the first chance last week, so I pounced on this one, and got it. :dance:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Jul 21 11:49 pm

While I had a great weekend trying new beers, there was one that even some on here cannot deny, since they tried it.

Naturdays. Natural Light Strawberry Lemonade Shandy.

The majority of the people, if not ALL the people, said:

:censored: :censored: I WANT to hate it, and I CAN'T!

And they are right. I am also in that group.

For the record, I bought it for myself as a trolling move, because vacation. I ordered it, said, "Probably gonna regret this," and bartender said, "Oh, you will." :lol:

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Zwak
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by Zwak » Mon Jul 29 7:21 am

List of the 53 new beers at the MN State Fair this year

https://www.mnstatefair.org/general-inf ... beverages/
GPL's official source of trivia.

Viking
Golden
Golden

Post by Viking » Mon Jul 29 7:56 am

Zwak wrote:
Mon Jul 29 7:21 am

I'm beginning to think that a lot of breweries have jumped the shark. We're going to be seeing a lot more close up shop.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by Steve MN » Mon Jul 29 10:19 am

Viking wrote:
Mon Jul 29 7:56 am
Zwak wrote:
Mon Jul 29 7:21 am

I'm beginning to think that a lot of breweries have jumped the shark. We're going to be seeing a lot more close up shop.
Yeah. Just because you can make semi-decent homebrew doesn't mean you can make something that's commercially viable, regardless of how popular craft beer is.

You, of course, are well aware of the difficulties in scaling between commercial brewing and homebrew batch sizes.
:BDTR:

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Karlsson » Mon Jul 29 12:09 pm

There's a lot on that list I have no interest in. I counted maybe 5 I'm looking forward to giving a shot.

Viking
Golden
Golden

Post by Viking » Mon Jul 29 12:22 pm

I counted 2... hence my jumping the shark comment.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Jul 29 10:31 pm

Viking wrote:
Mon Jul 29 12:22 pm
I counted 2... hence my jumping the shark comment.
I think over-saturation will be a turning point more than making crappy brew. If you're the only brewery around (relatively), you will probably remain in business. See: Enki. :wink:

That being said, State Fair Beers always bring out the gimmicks, and are not necessarily representative of the whole brewery. A lot of it is experimental, much like the beer fests that happen.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

fightclub30
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times

Post by fightclub30 » Fri Aug 02 9:05 pm

Having a crowler of 755,000 from Blackstack for my birthday, had a meat raffle from Blackstack yesterday.

I think I've had nearly every IPA from them... I've never had a bad beer. Bottomless (Brut IPA) was good not great. That's the worst thing I could possibly say about them. Just about everything they make is awesome!

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Sun Aug 04 3:32 pm

Stopped at Voyageur when up in Grand Marais after being on the SHT. Their taproom is awesome and great space. Beer was much improved from the first time I had it.

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Aug 05 8:21 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Aug 04 3:32 pm
Stopped at Voyageur when up in Grand Marais after being on the SHT. Their taproom is awesome and great space. Beer was much improved from the first time I had it.
Agreed, Voyageur is doing good work.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Aug 05 9:54 am

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Aug 05 8:21 am
gopherguy06 wrote:
Sun Aug 04 3:32 pm
Agreed, Voyageur is doing good work.
It was questionable when I first had it when they opened, but worked through the kinks. The taproom is a great space overlooking the lake and great addition to the city. The food looked great as we opted to get Sven and Ole's, but will definitely be back. The two beers I had were the American and Belgian Wheat and were both excellent.

Lots of great options in Duluth or north of (Castle Danger or Voyaguer)

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Aug 08 9:58 pm

Black Butte XXXI is now out.

So is Clown Shoes Minnesota Mean (NE IPA). :D

The latter is worth a 4pk to by. Nothing special, but good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 18 4:12 pm

I suppose I should report on my Toppling Goliath experience yesterday.

Went down for their Mornin' Delight release (lotto/ticket event). It was obviously a madhouse. Lines were everywhere, not really organized well inside. One long line was actually 3 lines (to-go, reg drafts, special drafts that only a special wristband were eligible for). Took them a couple hours to put up those chain-posts to separate the lines, to ease confusion.

The space is beautiful and spacious. Two levels, pristine, sort of like a Surly Jr. They still rely on food trucks, which is fine. Yesterday the truck was roasting whole pigs on a spit, delicious.

As for the special wristband, once you bought your Mornin' Delight set, for $100 (2 bombers, a pour, and a glass), you got the Special Wristband that allowed you to buy up to 2 pours of their Term Oil Stout variant pours (coconut and pecan, $10 for a 6oz pour, IIRC. I gave my wristband away, didn't need those before I drove home). Talk about kings of the upsell/squeeze every dollar out of you.

Mixed feelings overall. It's an easy drive (3 hrs one way), but man, do they want your money bad, and the lack of organization compared to other big releases I've been to bothered me a little. This wasn't their first time on a big release, either, so it should have been an easy process. The beer was excellent, had some special pours outside of the Special Wristband pours, for the general public, which was nice.

Aftermath: already traded one bottle of MD for a Barrel Theory Threat Level Midnight, dunno what I'll do with the other bottle. I've MD numerous times at this point, so leaning towards trading it for something I haven't had, but whatever.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by g-manpuck » Mon Aug 19 7:27 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Aug 18 4:12 pm
I suppose I should report on my Toppling Goliath experience yesterday.

Went down for their Mornin' Delight release (lotto/ticket event). It was obviously a madhouse. Lines were everywhere, not really organized well inside. One long line was actually 3 lines (to-go, reg drafts, special drafts that only a special wristband were eligible for). Took them a couple hours to put up those chain-posts to separate the lines, to ease confusion.

The space is beautiful and spacious. Two levels, pristine, sort of like a Surly Jr. They still rely on food trucks, which is fine. Yesterday the truck was roasting whole pigs on a spit, delicious.

As for the special wristband, once you bought your Mornin' Delight set, for $100 (2 bombers, a pour, and a glass), you got the Special Wristband that allowed you to buy up to 2 pours of their Term Oil Stout variant pours (coconut and pecan, $10 for a 6oz pour, IIRC. I gave my wristband away, didn't need those before I drove home). Talk about kings of the upsell/squeeze every dollar out of you.

Mixed feelings overall. It's an easy drive (3 hrs one way), but man, do they want your money bad, and the lack of organization compared to other big releases I've been to bothered me a little. This wasn't their first time on a big release, either, so it should have been an easy process. The beer was excellent, had some special pours outside of the Special Wristband pours, for the general public, which was nice.

Aftermath: already traded one bottle of MD for a Barrel Theory Threat Level Midnight, dunno what I'll do with the other bottle. I've MD numerous times at this point, so leaning towards trading it for something I haven't had, but whatever.
Next time you go to Decorah I would suggest to stop downtown and eat at Mabe's Pizza. It's solid pizza that's been in Decorah forever. I've talked with some of my wife's relatives about how these special releases go at TG and it does sound like your experience is the norm for them. Also, the pricing of TG special brews are ridiculous but if the market bears the pricing I don't see them changing anything anytime soon. I want to support TG since my company did all the piping during construction but there is a lot of how TG is run so that Clark Lewey can cash out as soon as a larger company wants to buy them which makes me avoid them out of principle. Clark also owns Grizzly coolers which is another Yeti-like product which he is trying to grow and sell off the company.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 19 9:54 am

Many have told me about Mabe's. I also wanted to hit up Pulpit Rock, but I guess everything "to-go" was sold out in the first hour due to the TG crowds, which isn't surprising. Even Forager had special tappings on Fri night, knowing people would be flowing through the city. They somehow still had Freedom Toast on tap Sat afternoon when I stopped by for a couple crowlers.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Aug 20 10:17 pm

Central Waters Black Gold tix on sale at 6pm this Sunday. Great beer, kind of an easy drive (4 hours one way), just SE of Stevens Point, WI. I got tix last year, it's a fun time. Actual release is Oct 21. They are much more organized than TG, it's a nice, but smaller, space.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Wed Aug 21 9:00 am

Any favorite breweries in Portland (OR)? Looks like a lot of options and thinking of Deschutes and 10 Barrel.

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Bigbeer » Wed Aug 21 11:29 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Aug 21 9:00 am
Any favorite breweries in Portland (OR)? Looks like a lot of options and thinking of Deschutes and 10 Barrel.
2 of the best breweries I’ve been to are Great Notion and Modern Times in Portland. The beer and set up at GN are killer, good food too. Modern Times had the single best list at any taproom I’ve been to...something like 5 sours, 9 IPAs and 5 barrel aged beers that all rocked. They also had a 40 foot Macho Man piñata to complete the sweep. Cascade is around the corner if you like sours.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Wed Aug 21 8:30 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Wed Aug 21 9:00 am

Gigantic is great.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Aug 25 2:01 pm

I just walked into a liquor store in Winnipeg and found about a case of 2017 and 2018 Darkness. Wasn’t expecting that although I did see Furious on tap last night where we ate

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 25 5:38 pm

Stopped by LTD today, and they have a Raspberry Cream Ale on tap. It WAS called "The Cream Team" on the board yesterday, the name was erased today. Apparently, someone found that "offensive" and so the name is no more. WTF. They've previously had a beer called "Curt's Wet Dream" (wet hop IPA), and they also currently have a beer called "White Beers Can Hop" (play on White Men Can't Jump). *sigh*

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Aug 25 8:09 pm

Ugh. Had all my info entered for the Central Waters Black Gold release, and got an internal server error. By the time I got back into the site, tix were sold out. :( Sigh.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Mon Aug 26 9:20 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Aug 25 8:09 pm
Ugh. Had all my info entered for the Central Waters Black Gold release, and got an internal server error. By the time I got back into the site, tix were sold out. :( Sigh.
If it's any consolation, being sold out already almost certainly triggered the internal server error. The system was probably sending in data that assumed tickets were still available, but since they weren't it triggered the error.

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Aug 26 9:43 am

Man, Portland (OR) was beyond what I thought it would be. So many breweries and could barely hit all of them. They are everywhere and definitely some fun ones. Highly recommend the city to anyone for a long weekend with lots of options for beer, food, and outdoor activities.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Aug 26 9:31 pm

Steve MN wrote:
Mon Aug 26 9:20 am
The Rube wrote:
Sun Aug 25 8:09 pm
If it's any consolation, being sold out already almost certainly triggered the internal server error. The system was probably sending in data that assumed tickets were still available, but since they weren't it triggered the error.
It was simply the massive demand and everyone logging in at once. By many accounts, I got lucky last year in getting tix due to similar issues. I know I could drop around $40 on the secondary and get a bottle, but it's an easy and fun trip to make (retail is $20/bottle, can get up to 4 bottles w/ticket).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Norm » Fri Aug 30 8:05 pm

Shouldn't surprise anyone but Schell's Oktoberfest is outstanding again.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Aug 30 9:11 pm

Millstream Oktoberfest is where it's at. Prob my fave Oktoberfest beer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Aug 30 11:12 pm

Founders Facebook post:
CBS 12oz bottles! That’s right you’ve been asking for (*ahem* demanding) them, and we’re happy to announce we're making it happen this year.

Come November you’ll find CBS in 4-packs of 12oz bottles in addition to 750mL bottles. This will be the last time we’ll release and distribute CBS for the foreseeable future, so get it while you can.

[They recently sold out to a macro, one who previously had a minor stake in the company. I see things are changing already......]

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Steve MN
Golden
Golden

Post by Steve MN » Sat Aug 31 10:35 am

The Rube wrote:
Fri Aug 30 11:12 pm
Founders Facebook post:
CBS 12oz bottles! That’s right you’ve been asking for (*ahem* demanding) them, and we’re happy to announce we're making it happen this year.

Come November you’ll find CBS in 4-packs of 12oz bottles in addition to 750mL bottles. This will be the last time we’ll release and distribute CBS for the foreseeable future, so get it while you can.

[They recently sold out to a macro, one who previously had a minor stake in the company. I see things are changing already......]
As long as they're making good beer, I can't really make myself care who owns the company. And, I rather like some of the 12oz bottles of this kind of thing. The CBS is almost too much to drink a full bomber of in a sitting, so getting the 12oz option instead (as long as they don't crank the price through the roof in the process) is a good thing.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 31 6:48 pm

Usually, as we've seen with Blushing Monk, it's about 1/2 the cost of what a bomber is, per ounce.

Had a few new beers at the Fair today, either by having a whole one or tasting ones that my brother or his fiancee ordered up. The Lupulin Lemon Meringue, the Eastlake Kirby Pucker (Arnie Palmer), Tin Whiskers Lemon Drop Shandy, Modist/Barrel Theory Orange Dreamsicle, and Excelsior Maple Bacon. All were pretty good.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Cowgirl
Golden
Golden

Post by Cowgirl » Sat Aug 31 7:15 pm

Was organizing in the basement and found three bombers of blushing monk from 2015, a half dozen bottles of mead from white winter winery (probably from a similar time frame), as well as a couple dozen other treasures collected over the past decade or two.
Good thing we are working on building the bar.....we’ve got lots of drinking to do apparently. 😆

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Aug 31 9:14 pm

Cowgirl wrote:
Sat Aug 31 7:15 pm
Was organizing in the basement and found three bombers of blushing monk from 2015, a half dozen bottles of mead from white winter winery (probably from a similar time frame), as well as a couple dozen other treasures collected over the past decade or two.
Good thing we are working on building the bar.....we’ve got lots of drinking to do apparently. 😆
Guessing you still have the Mephistopheles from a couple years ago that I gave ya....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Sep 01 4:57 pm

Boom Island's new space: like it. Talked with one of the investors that was there...seemed like he really cared about the actual product/place/ambiance. I think they'll do well once they are really settled in. Bonus: picked up a 2015 Yule Belgian bottle that they still have.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Sep 01 7:06 pm

Some good beer at the Fair. The Orange Creamsicle and Lemon Meringue Pie beers were excellent. The Starkellar berry sour was outstanding.

The only clunker for me was the Key Lime beer. It was just ok to me but worth trying. A lot of lime but overall really hard to get that flavor into a beer.