Got Beer?

Open Forum (Except Sports)..... Let's keep politics & religion talk out of here please.
davescharf
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Got Beer?

Post by davescharf » Thu Mar 14 10:33 pm

Opened a crowler of Junkyard's Wake up Late (Coffee Vanilla Stout). This might be the first beer from them I haven't enjoyed. I like coffee in my beer (even though I don't really like coffee...yes it's weird) but this was just way too much for me.

This past weekend we went to Grizzly's for dinner and the Nightmare on Brett (Dark Sour aged in a Whiskey Barrel with Cherries added) from Crooked Stave was awesome. You have to really like sour beers those because this one will make you really pucker. My buddy was sitting next to me joked he was puckering up just smelling it.
Member of the "Never used the 'ahh' smiley" in a post since September 2010.
GPL's official hater of Surly Eight since September 2014

Untappd user ID: Davescharf

The Rube
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 14 10:38 pm

I just picked up a Wake Up Late tonight to enjoy this weekend. I guess we'll see.

Did crack a Punk Lemonade from B Nektar, the description was set to the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" so kinda had to. :wink: It was delicious. Crushable on a summer day. Also, tried an Ire from Hammerheart, red ale with cherries, smoked, of course. Pretty good.

Finally, Talking Waters (Montevideo) is 2/2 so far, on their beers. If you are out there, or can find crowlers, take a chance. I got mine at Vinifera (hwys 101/6).
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Mar 16 5:41 pm

Wake Up Late was def all the coffee. It was good, but not as advertised.

Hit up Ansari's for a tap takeover from Perennial, which the feature was Vanilla Bean Abraxas. They only had 60 pours' worth. It. Was. Fing. Phenomenal. Exceeded expectations. If my timing is correct, it ran out in an hour or so. El Dillo, the loudmouth blond SCSU fan, and her husband were also there, and ordered it up, and all reactions were the same.

Also tried the Sump (2017 and 2018). Coffee flavor definitely cooled off on the 2017. We all sampled each others' beers to get a judgement, FTR.

My other full beer was the Invictus Blarney Bros Irish Red, and I was impressed. A very solid beer of that style.
MNGophers29 wrote:When the wife asks, I will just tell her "Rube said it was ok"!! LOL!

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by D2D » Wed Mar 20 12:14 pm

Bert

Post by Bert » Wed Mar 20 1:57 pm

D2D wrote:
Wed Mar 20 12:14 pm
Which brewery would you vote for?

http://www.startribune.com/vote-now-16- ... 506004471/
No 10k ???

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Wed Mar 20 4:35 pm

Bert wrote:
Wed Mar 20 1:57 pm
No 10k ???
With 166 Minnesota breweries competing not everyone can muster enough votes to make it into the Top 16. I guess that makes it more difficult than qualifying for the NCAA Hockey Tournament. ;)

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Mar 20 4:50 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Mar 14 10:38 pm
Finally, Talking Waters (Montevideo) is 2/2 so far, on their beers. If you are out there, or can find crowlers, take a chance. I got mine at Vinifera (hwys 101/6).
I'm driving through Montevideo next week for work. What have you had of theirs so far?
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

-I am the official Iowa Hawkeye Football fan of GPL

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Mar 20 4:51 pm

The fact brewpubs aren’t included just makes this worthless. Forager should absolutely be part of this and I’d even argue Town Hall deserves consideration

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Mar 20 9:48 pm

g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Mar 20 4:50 pm
The Rube wrote:
I'm driving through Montevideo next week for work. What have you had of theirs so far?
Batch 100: Belgian Quad aged in Brandy Barrels. 10.0% ABV. Smooooooooth. Too smooth. It'll sneak up on ya if you don't sip it. Loved it.
What's Shakin'? Mango/Pineapple Milkshake IPA. Did not disappoint, although it didn't blow my mind. Well-balanced, good easy-going beer at 6.7%. ABV.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Thu Mar 21 6:46 am

The Rube wrote:
Wed Mar 20 9:48 pm
g-manpuck wrote:
Wed Mar 20 4:50 pm
The Rube wrote:
Batch 100: Belgian Quad aged in Brandy Barrels. 10.0% ABV. Smooooooooth. Too smooth. It'll sneak up on ya if you don't sip it. Loved it.
What's Shakin'? Mango/Pineapple Milkshake IPA. Did not disappoint, although it didn't blow my mind. Well-balanced, good easy-going beer at 6.7%. ABV.
Interesting. If I don't stop at the brewery I will probably stop at a liquor store that is on my route and see what they have on the shelf from there. That Batch 100 sounds very interesting.
-"It's not like we have to become Canadian because they won!" - my wife Chrystal

Jane Fonda
Veteran
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Mar 21 11:44 am

davescharf wrote:
Wed Mar 20 4:51 pm
The fact brewpubs aren’t included just makes this worthless. Forager should absolutely be part of this and I’d even argue Town Hall deserves consideration
Yeah, well the Strib did something like this last year too, and if I remember correctly it was all f*** up. No reason to give it any concern. Don't need some silly vote to know what the best breweries in the state are: Forager, Barrel Theory, Junkyard, Blackstack, Modist, Drastic Measures is a good start.

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu Mar 21 7:30 pm

They open it up to nominations and people vote. The top 16 then go in the bracket. So if a brewery isnt there...well either it's less well known to the general public or they aren't doing a good enough job of marketing it.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Mar 21 8:07 pm

Gopherguy05 wrote:
Thu Mar 21 7:30 pm
They open it up to nominations and people vote. The top 16 then go in the bracket. So if a brewery isnt there...well either it's less well known to the general public or they aren't doing a good enough job of marketing it.
Or, option 3, the public voted stupidly.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 21 8:32 pm

The general public doesn't know, or hasn't tried, many a brewery. The Strib article intro'ing the tourney said that Junkyard is only available at the brewery. That's false. In fact, just picked up their Citra DIPA tonight, delivered today, canned on Monday. They just missed the cut this year.

To add to Jane's list, Lupulin still rocks it, and Bent Paddle is such a great go-to overall.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Thu Mar 21 9:39 pm

How many of those voting have tried all (or even most) of the 16 finalists? I bet the majority have sampled only a few, or maybe a half dozen or so, and developed a favorite of those few, and vote accordingly.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 21 9:46 pm

D2D wrote:
Thu Mar 21 9:39 pm
How many of those voting have tried all (or even most) of the 16 finalists? I bet the majority have sampled only a few, or maybe a half dozen or so, and developed a favorite of those few, and vote accordingly.
I would agree with this.

BTW, Weldworks is at St Louis Park Top Ten...their Juicy Bits IPA is phenomenal. I've heard they are testing this market. I hope they stick around.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Thu Mar 21 10:56 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Mar 21 9:46 pm
D2D wrote:
I would agree with this.

BTW, Weldworks is at St Louis Park Top Ten...their Juicy Bits IPA is phenomenal. I've heard they are testing this market. I hope they stick around.
Heard a rumor that Hoof Hearted is doing the same.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 21 10:58 pm

Hoof Hearted is also at Top Ten, as of this past Wed.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Gopherguy05
Veteran
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Gopherguy05 » Thu Mar 21 10:59 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Thu Mar 21 10:56 pm
The Rube wrote:
Thu Mar 21 9:46 pm
D2D wrote:
I would agree with this.

Heard a rumor that Hoof Hearted is doing the same.
But apparently the stuff from them here is contract brewed and just like the Toppling Golliath contract stuff is supposed to be way worse.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Mar 21 11:00 pm

It can be, and it can be just as good. The TG stuff, the water was the difference, FLA vs IA, from what I heard, in the TG case.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Fri Mar 22 10:51 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Mar 21 11:00 pm
It can be, and it can be just as good. The TG stuff, the water was the difference, FLA vs IA, from what I heard, in the TG case.
It was a scale difference. And quality control.

I didn't know Hoof Hearted contract brewed.

Might have a line on a shipper full of Fieldwork. :dance:

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Mar 22 10:54 pm

Had Talking Waters "Spill The Beans" coffee milk stout tonight. Success. They are now 3/3. LTD is now doing crowlers, but very limited. Will be asking them this weekend on production numbers. Am pumped, though, about it.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Karlsson » Sun Mar 24 11:51 am

Finally got the wife to Barrel Theory yesterday. She was out of town the first time I went, had previous plans the second, then was pregnant the other 4 or 5 times. :mrgreen:

She liked it very much, as I expected.

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Mon Mar 25 1:31 pm

Will North Shore sink Twin Cities? Big matchups ahead in Minnesota Beer Bracket's Ale-ite Eight

http://www.startribune.com/will-north-s ... =262356425

Going with Indeed, Fair State, Dangerous Man & Summit.

gopherguy06
Veteran
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by gopherguy06 » Mon Mar 25 2:18 pm

D2D wrote:
Mon Mar 25 1:31 pm
Will North Shore sink Twin Cities? Big matchups ahead in Minnesota Beer Bracket's Ale-ite Eight

Going with Indeed, Bent Paddle, Dangerous Man & Summit. Bent Paddle Cold Press is one of my favorite beers, but Fair State has some good ones too.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 25 9:32 pm

Bent Paddle, from top to bottom, is very good. They don't get daring, but also don't make a single bad beer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bonin21
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Bonin21 » Mon Mar 25 9:38 pm

North Shore owning the Cities in college hockey and beer lately lol
Lead us out of Loserville, Bob.
104 big four seasons with no finals appearance
Times advanced in playoffs last 15 seasons: Vikings 3, Wild 2, Twins 0, Wolves 0
1967 last football conference title, 1982 last basketball conference title, 2003 last hockey national championship

fightclub30
Veteran
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Mar 25 10:12 pm

With lots of breweries preaching to keep the beer cold, why do so many stores keep their overstock warm? Even a craft beer specialty place like Vinifera...

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Mon Mar 25 10:21 pm

There is good beer in Duluth/North Shore, but it isn't anywhere close to as good as in the cities.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 25 10:24 pm

fightclub30 wrote:
Mon Mar 25 10:12 pm
With lots of breweries preaching to keep the beer cold, why do so many stores keep their overstock warm? Even a craft beer specialty place like Vinifera...
I'm a fan of Vinifera, and I don't know why they do that. I know they have a small space and such, but yeah. Drives me nuts. Stouts on the shelf, ok fine. IPAs, no matter style? I'm checking canning dates,etc. Haskell's on 394 has fallen hardcore on that requirement.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Mar 25 10:38 pm

It’s easy to say but expensive to create and pay for space and keep that space cold just for backstock
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

"If only life was as simple as GPL" - Golden FE Ranger

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Mar 25 10:41 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Mon Mar 25 10:38 pm
It’s easy to say but expensive to create and pay for space and keep that space cold just for backstock
There is stuff in the cooler that could stand to be on the shelf, though. And stuff on the shelf that needs to be in the cooler....pretty sure something like a 12% stout won't go bad on the shelf for a few months, whereas a fresh IPA would.....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Vegoe » Tue Mar 26 12:57 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 25 9:32 pm
Bent Paddle, from top to bottom, is very good. They don't get daring, but also don't make a single bad beer.
I'm a big Bent Paddle fan, their ESB is pretty much always in my fridge as nothing else local compares to that style. Their cold press black ale is also often found in there as well, same deal. Double Black is very good. I've never had anything 'off' from them, so must be good quality control there too.

Castle Danger is a solid.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Tue Mar 26 8:10 am

The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 25 10:24 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
I'm a fan of Vinifera, and I don't know why they do that. I know they have a small space and such, but yeah. Drives me nuts. Stouts on the shelf, ok fine. IPAs, no matter style? I'm checking canning dates,etc. Haskell's on 394 has fallen hardcore on that requirement.
I have gotten to the point where I only buy my IPAs at places I have had good experiences with, I check can dates, and never buy from places that have IPAs sitting warm. IPAs stored warm get ruined, and they're too expensive to buy stuff that isn't as it is supposed to be. This means that there are only a few places convenient to me that I go to buy beer anymore, but the beer I get is fresh, and high quality.

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Tue Mar 26 1:15 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Tue Mar 26 8:10 am
The Rube wrote:
Mon Mar 25 10:24 pm
fightclub30 wrote:
I have gotten to the point where I only buy my IPAs at places I have had good experiences with, I check can dates, and never buy from places that have IPAs sitting warm. IPAs stored warm get ruined, and they're too expensive to buy stuff that isn't as it is supposed to be. This means that there are only a few places convenient to me that I go to buy beer anymore, but the beer I get is fresh, and high quality.
That was kind of the reason I asked. Since someone pointed me to Vinifera I have had good luck going there. It doesn't hurt that I work nearby. However last week I noticed they had a couple cases of "2 On" (A triple IPA from Blackstack) sitting out warm. Along with several other IPAs. And being one of the very few places on the West side that receives Blackstack regularly, it shocked me they would let that sit out. Granted, anything from Blackstack has never sat on their shelves too long thus far. Other IPAs from Castle Danger, Insight, Surly, and a couple others were sitting out warm.

Some places do not put the canning dates on boxes. For instance, I bought a box of cans of Fresh Squeezed from a store in Chanhassen. Didn't think about checking the date. Tasted one and it was pretty bland. Canning date was over 6 months old. The box didn't have a date printed on it, but the cans did. Would a store let you open a box to check the cans?

I know Stone's website has a place to report old beer. But I worry reporting it, they might stop bringing good beers there if they don't sell. I have seen much, much less Stone here recently already, than I did a few years ago. I don't think Stone is pulling out, but they certainly aren't bringing the volume or variety we used to get. Pretty much just seeing their flagships, and not always fresh either.

Kind of like the "create your own six pack" several places did/are doing. All those beers are almost always warm, and any IPA is not going to taste the same as it would fresh and kept cold. So why buy one to "sample" when you aren't even getting the flavors it was meant to have.

I am sure it isn't an easy answer to the "problem" but I was curious about places policy. Has a brewery ever pulled stock from a place, or an account altogether, because it was kept out warm?

Norm
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 27 times

Post by Norm » Tue Mar 26 7:00 pm

The Rube wrote:

This couple is trying to visit every MN brewery. Here is their recent report from Talking Waters.

https://aleadventuresmn.com/2019/03/24/ ... er-desert/

sunbone
Golden
Golden
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by sunbone » Tue Mar 26 7:38 pm

D2D wrote:

I’m going to have to ignore any poll that ranks Fair State over Barrel Theory. Fair State is okay, but Barrel Theory is consistently knocking it out of the park.

Kelor
Golden
Golden
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Kelor » Tue Mar 26 9:23 pm

I will admit I’m not a beer efficianatto, but of most of the local micro beers, I’d put Fair State below average at least. If I compare any of their beers to an equivalen style of another brewery, I’d take the other brewery beer almost every single time.

Granted I haven’t given them much consideration over the last two years, but after trying them again and again, I finally gave up. Maybe they have improved dramatically over the last 24 months.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Mar 26 9:51 pm

FS is okay. BT does blow them away, though.

And that Montevideo tour looks larger than LTD's tour! :D (although that's not tough to do).

TheRube33 on UnTappd

D2D
Veteran

Post by D2D » Tue Mar 26 10:01 pm

Conclusions:
1. Taste preferences differ.
2. There is no one "best" brewery.
3. Great to have so many choices of interesting new beers!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Mar 26 10:17 pm

D2D wrote:
Tue Mar 26 10:01 pm
Conclusions:
1. Taste preferences differ.
2. There is no one "best" brewery.
3. Great to have so many choices of interesting new beers!
I SLIGHTLY beg to differ. There is personal taste, but also quality (what is that beer supposed to taste like). I've had some beers that I really do not like, but for the style, they are spot on (most famously, the west coast IPAs). Even more famously, Pliny. I couldn't drink a whole bottle and enjoy it, but for the style, it's up there in quality.

So, that being said, some breweries might hit it in all the quality measures, but might not appeal to everyone's personal tastes. In essence, there are (objectively) "best breweries" in this discussion. :)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Tue Mar 26 10:33 pm

IMHO the 3 most talented young brewers in the state are Tim from BT, Ben from Surly and Niko from Fair State, who are far from “below average”.
"My God, what is this salty discharge? Is this crying? This is terrible -- I care!"

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Mar 26 10:41 pm

This is not to be meant as a Surly slam, truly, but man, they are churning out new beers all the time now. IMO, they are losing focus a little. Just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks...in a similar vein, Modist. Every week there seems to be a new DDH or double IPA hitting the shelves....

TheRube33 on UnTappd

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Mar 27 7:43 am

But I think that is what the public is asking these breweries to do is to try anything and everything to see what sticks. The names and ingredients of IPA's these days are like reading the side of a race car with all of their sponsors.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Mar 27 8:01 am

sunbone wrote:
Tue Mar 26 7:38 pm
D2D wrote:

I’m going to have to ignore any poll that ranks Fair State over Barrel Theory. Fair State is okay, but Barrel Theory is consistently knocking it out of the park.
This is a true statement.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Mar 27 8:06 am

Bigbeer wrote:
Tue Mar 26 10:33 pm
IMHO the 3 most talented young brewers in the state are Tim from BT, Ben from Surly and Niko from Fair State, who are far from “below average”.
It depends on your definition of "young" and I really don't know how old some of these guys are, but the top 3, in my opinion have to be Timmy, Brett (Drastic Measures) and Austin (Forager). All 3 are very, very good at what they do.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Wed Mar 27 7:07 pm

Just tried one of those new Surly beers they're throwing at the wall. It was awful. Drank some of the can, and then dumped the rest. 2 thumbs down for Tiramisu Funeral Bar.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Mar 27 9:21 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Wed Mar 27 7:07 pm
Just tried one of those new Surly beers they're throwing at the wall. It was awful. Drank some of the can, and then dumped the rest. 2 thumbs down for Tiramisu Funeral Bar.
I had a sample of that a couple weeks ago at Vinifera. Way too sweet.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Mon Apr 01 5:24 pm

There’s some hilarious April Fools posts from breweries on IG. My favorite is the Lutefisk Berliner Weiss release from Blackstack.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Mon Apr 01 10:11 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Mon Apr 01 5:24 pm
There’s some hilarious April Fools posts from breweries on IG. My favorite is the Lutefisk Berliner Weiss release from Blackstack.
Back Channel had a video for IPA Spray today. Yes, you use a bottle sprayer to spray the IPA into your mouth. Hilarious!

TheRube33 on UnTappd

fightclub30
Veteran

Post by fightclub30 » Mon Apr 01 11:24 pm

The Rube wrote:
Mon Apr 01 10:11 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
Mon Apr 01 5:24 pm
Back Channel had a video for IPA Spray today. Yes, you use a bottle sprayer to spray the IPA into your mouth. Hilarious!

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Apr 03 6:28 pm

BA Darkness hit stores this week.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Wed Apr 03 8:50 pm

The Rube wrote:
Wed Apr 03 6:28 pm
And a lot was made...no limits @ Princeton’s

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Wed Apr 03 9:15 pm

davescharf wrote:
Wed Apr 03 8:50 pm
The Rube wrote:
Wed Apr 03 6:28 pm
And a lot was made...no limits @ Princeton’s
1 Bottle limit at Top Ten SLP, no limit at Liquor Boy. Had stopped at Top Ten, hoping they had some Hoof Hearted, but nope. Settled for a BAD, then headed over to SLPLB, got a couple more bottles there, although one is saved for melmac.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Thu Apr 04 11:12 am

I'm hearing no limits either... I still see non-BA around every once in a while.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Apr 04 9:52 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Apr 04 11:12 am
I'm hearing no limits either... I still see non-BA around every once in a while.
I'm thinking Top Ten didn't get a lot...or they are just trying to spread it around. Last year I asked Liquor Boy about the no limit, and the guy said that if someone wants to clear us out, that gives us a spot for another beer. Fine with us.

BTW, it's friggin' great this year. Might rival '15 BA.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Thu Apr 04 11:25 pm

Got two tonight. couldn't judtify spending $25 a pop on more and they were willing to sell more.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Apr 04 11:29 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Thu Apr 04 11:25 pm
Got two tonight. couldn't judtify spending $25 a pop on more and they were willing to sell more.
I ended up with 4 total. 1 to drink now (which I did), 2 to age, and 1 for mel. Won't buy any more. As you said, could have easily bought more. SLPLB had a case and a half on the floor, dunno if they had any in back.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Vegoe
GPL Writer
GPL Writer

Post by Vegoe » Thu Apr 04 11:55 pm

I think my usual spot, got at least eight cases that they put on the floor this week, I feel like I remember Darkness BA distribution being half of that back in 2015.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Thu Apr 04 11:58 pm

Vegoe wrote:
Thu Apr 04 11:55 pm
I think my usual spot, got at least eight cases that they put on the floor this week, I feel like I remember Darkness BA distribution being half of that back in 2015.
2017 is when they upped production on non-BA and BA, hardcore. Talked with a guy on Darkness Day 17, who was a volunteer for them (putting the wax on the bottles) and he flat out said it has now become a "shelfie." I'm okay with that, I really like the beer, and saves me from hunting it.

The same goes for KBS. They really upped production on it. Can find it anywhere for a while now.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

gopherguy06
Veteran

Post by gopherguy06 » Fri Apr 05 10:04 am

Yeah, the KBS is everywhere this year. I have seen it on shelves at my local place.

kmd
Veteran

Post by kmd » Fri Apr 05 7:12 pm

The Rube wrote:
Thu Apr 04 11:58 pm
Vegoe wrote:
Thu Apr 04 11:55 pm
2017 is when they upped production on non-BA and BA, hardcore. Talked with a guy on Darkness Day 17, who was a volunteer for them (putting the wax on the bottles) and he flat out said it has now become a "shelfie." I'm okay with that, I really like the beer, and saves me from hunting it.
I still get bottle dipping invites. :lol:

Bigbeer
Veteran

Post by Bigbeer » Fri Apr 05 9:11 pm

I’m a huge fan of BA dark beers so having all of the best readily available like KBS, Backwoods Bastard and all the Central Waters stuff is terrific

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Fri Apr 05 9:21 pm

Bigbeer wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:11 pm
I’m a huge fan of BA dark beers so having all of the best readily available like KBS, Backwoods Bastard and all the Central Waters stuff is terrific
I am very glad I made the hellrun to CW for their Black Gold this past year. Worth it. The place is nice, and that beer is excellent. And it appears I already have this year's Dark Lord lined up. :)

TheRube33 on UnTappd

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 06 11:24 am

Just tried Summit's Get Smoked (on tap at EPOC). That is one good beer, if you like that style. Very similar to Hammerheart's beers. Apparently, it's only on tap at certain places, and you can only get the bottles in the variety pack.

Really smoky smell, but the smell is stronger than the actual smoke taste. Well done, Summit, well done.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

Karlsson
Veteran
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Karlsson » Sat Apr 06 11:53 am

I like a good rauchbier now and then. I'll have to check it out.

Jane Fonda
Veteran

Post by Jane Fonda » Sat Apr 06 8:53 pm

The Rube wrote:
Fri Apr 05 9:21 pm
Bigbeer wrote:
And it appears I already have this year's Dark Lord lined up. :)
Just dump some Kikkoman into Darkness.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sat Apr 06 8:55 pm

Jane Fonda wrote:
Sat Apr 06 8:53 pm
The Rube wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
I have to keep the streak going. I've had every bottled DL to date (sorta: the 2018 is in my fridge, waiting)...might as well keep it going...

TheRube33 on UnTappd

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Apr 07 9:18 pm

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Apr 05 10:04 am
Yeah, the KBS is everywhere this year. I have seen it on shelves at my local place.
It’s even on draft at the Whirlyball in Maple Grove. Had it there tonight.

davescharf
Golden
Golden

Post by davescharf » Sun Apr 07 9:19 pm

The Rube wrote:
Sat Apr 06 8:55 pm
Jane Fonda wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
I have to keep the streak going. I've had every bottled DL to date (sorta: the 2018 is in my fridge, waiting)...might as well keep it going...
The bottle a GPLer swapped me was a little sweet but not like many make it out to be

Maize
Veteran
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Maize » Sun Apr 07 9:38 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Apr 07 9:18 pm

It’s even on draft at the Whirlyball in Maple Grove. Had it there tonight.
Nothing like mixing 12% ABV with bumper cars.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Sun Apr 07 9:55 pm

davescharf wrote:
Sun Apr 07 9:19 pm
The Rube wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
The bottle a GPLer swapped me was a little sweet but not like many make it out to be
The general rule for DL is to wait about 2 years before drinking it, to avoid the sweetness.

TheRube33 on UnTappd

GO4
Rookie

Post by GO4 » Wed Apr 10 7:24 am

The Rube wrote:
Sun Apr 07 9:55 pm
davescharf wrote:
Sun Apr 07 9:19 pm
The Rube wrote:
Jane Fonda wrote:
The Rube wrote:
Bigbeer wrote:
The general rule for DL is to wait about 2 years before drinking it, to avoid the sweetness.
The green with glitter wax we had a few weekends ago (2017?) was still much too sweet for anyone that tasted it. I'm gonna hold onto those bottles for a few more years and/or bring them to bottle shares to lighten the load.

That said...the 2013 BCBS lineup and 2013 vs 2019 KBS could have made me a little biased that night.

g-manpuck
Golden
Golden

Post by g-manpuck » Wed Apr 10 8:03 am

gopherguy06 wrote:
Fri Apr 05 10:04 am
I was surprised when I saw it on the shelf at MGM here in Mankato this past weekend. Bought a couple bottles, there were still 15 bottles left on the shelf after picking up those two.

The Rube
Golden
Golden

Post by The Rube » Tue Apr 16 9:30 pm

Odell's 180 Shilling is back!!! It's their 30th Anniv, so they made it again (last time they did it was for their 25th Anniv). No bombers, which were about $20/25oz. 12 oz bottles at about $9/pop. I found it at St Louis Park Top Ten Liquors.

It's a fine beer.

TheRube33 on UnTappd